NoRedInk Reviews & Product Details

NoRedInk Overview

What is NoRedInk?

NoRedInk builds stronger writers through interest-based curriculum, adaptive exercises, and actionable data. We're in over 10,000 schools, and students have answered over 2 billion questions on our platform

NoRedInk Details

NoRedInk
2012
San Francisco, CA
@noredink

Answer a few questions to help the NoRedInk community
Have you used NoRedInk before?

NoRedInk Reviews

Showing 18 NoRedInk reviews
Already have NoRedInk?
cashier
What do you like best?

It should be helpful to learn but in the end, it's frustrating. I have used it throughout high school in my English classes and most of the time it's the thing I dread the most. While it was made to improve grammar and other skills it only causes frustration, I have found many questions confusing or marked wrong when correct. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Many questions are normal in how we read and write these days, the questions are outdated and the website is frustrating it encourages cheating over learning. Most days I would rather give up than continue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am learning, I learned it needs to be updated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I don't like it at all. It really sucks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is annoying to have to answer 3 questions for 1 wrong answer. The lessons are confusing and hard to navigate. It takes up to 60 minutes to complete 1 lesson because you have to answer 3 questions for 1 wrong answer. It is so aggravating! It doesn't improve my English comprehension because I get so bored answering so many questions that I don't even want to try anymore. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am not solving any problems. NoRedInk gives me more stress and problems because it takes so long and I can't focus on other parts of my class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

When COVID-19 transitioned my school into digital learning, I was looking for another website, similar to Quill, that would support my students in their independent grammar development. NoRedInk offers that. It allows the teacher to assign diagnostics and practice that leads to quizzes. It has multiple features that allow the teacher to incorporate a writing assessment in addition to grammar assessment. I also like that it is more interactive when it comes to grammar assessment. The interface allows the students to change what they feel needs to be changed--punctuation, capitalization, etc.--thus better revealing what the students would naturally do as writers instead of forcing an answer on them. I also like that the sentences in the activities are tailored to an extent to the students' interests--for instance, involving sentences about Harry Potter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I began using NoRedInk after using Quill, which was fantastic. I shifted to NoRedInk because I figured that I had exhausted what Quill offered. One thing that I don't like about it is its lack of grammar instruction--though I may be mistaken. It doesn't seem to provide much assistance or instruction for the activities to the point where my students evidently struggled and received low scores. It doesn't seem as capable of independent pacing or instruction as Quill. Another thing that I didn't like is that whenever a new student joined the class, I had to return to the site and assign the activities that the rest of his/her classmates received. It would be better if there were a way for all students, no matter when they join, to receive the same activities that were assigned to the class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are considering NoRedInk, think about what you're looking for. Do your students need a little more feedback as they progress through activities? If so, Quill might be better. Would you like activities to appear more natural in order to see what the students are prone to do? NoRedInk will work. If you're looking for writing support/assessment, NoRedInk has features for that as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NoRedInk gave me an alternative to another grammar assessment website. I haven't taken the time to explore its other features, but they seem promising. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Gives you certain tips about how to improve on what you did wrong or need improvement on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

How every time you get one answer wrong, you have to answer 3 in a row correctly to just move on to another real question. This can really discourage people from learning the material. This website seems to lack the characteristics of education. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Haven't solved any problems with NoRedInk. Have to do assignments, get them done after a while, and hopefully not think about this website again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

I hate it but I do like how you can customize sentences with things you like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A lot they need to go explain the difference between how we talk vs how we should write. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Secondary teacher
What do you like best?

It is actually helpful in getting students to understand the mechanics of grammar without being boring! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The free version is pretty limited, which is hard if your school doesn’t have the budget for a premium version. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is definitely worth it if your kids are struggling with grammar! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It makes grammar instruction fun and worthwhile. It is also data-rich! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

teacher
Education Management
What do you like best?

I really like that I can personalize my instruction. I teach English Language Learners so I like that after the Diagnostic Test, I can choose what lesson the student gets. My students are at different levels, so differentiation is crucial. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that when I entered the students' name, the system automatically creates a user name which includes the 1st initial and last name, but the 1st initial IS NOT CAPITALIZED. I teach this rule and now the students see that a company doesn't follow this rule. And this company is all about grammar and writing rules. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I wish NoRedInk had diagnostic tests for 7th and 8th graders. For now, this isn't a problem because my students are reading/writing on a 4th-6th grade level. However, if they make great strides later in the year I'd like to reasses them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This program helps me differentiate and really meet the needs of my students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Assistant
Education Management
What do you like best?

I love that it tracks each student's individual growth, this is probably my favorite feature so that I can make sure each student is performing at the level that is right for them. I love that you can cumulative class mastery or each individuals mastery and progress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There have been times when the program has glitched or caused issues as children were using it. There have been typos and spelling errors which have also caused minor problems, all of which were talked through and re-explained. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great program to help support the students after learning the material. For me, it helps me see how the kids are doing as far as mastery to what I am teaching. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's multifunctional and all in one place. I can track their progress, choose which lessons I feel are most pertinent at the time and have them working at home with explanations to support the work and the learning that we are doing in the classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love that I can assign a diagnostic, then practice, and finally a quiz. Students can go at their own pace! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the writing units are currently too long, but I believe No Red Ink is working on shortening those. The lessons do not always make sense to all students, so it is best to teach the concept, then do the diagnostic, practice, and quiz cycle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do think about teaching the lessons first, and then having students use NoRedInk to practice. Set aside some time for initial set up- it allows students to choose shows and books from which characters will be incorporated into the grammar questions (which can lead you to hilarious scenarios!) but it does take students some time to work through that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No Red Ink allows me to address grammar in a clear, controlled manner. Students simply practice and quiz, and I can see their areas of confusion. I love that NoRedInk grades for me, and I can quickly see where my students succeed and where they need more help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

8th Grade ELA Teacher
Education Management
What do you like best?

I love that I can individualize instruction for my students with this program. When a student is struggling on a particular concept, I can adjust No Red Ink to assist him/her. I can also quiz and assign practices. The free version allows you to track most progress of the student. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I called to find out how much it would cost to implement the full version of the program, and for a campus of 125, it would cost over $8000 with a required training. I dislike that the training is required for the purchase of the school package. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's great for the free version! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving grammar problems, which is incredibly important because we are discouraged from directly teaching grammar in the classroom with the implementation of common core. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

One of the best features of NoRedInk is that it has the student select topics, TV shows, sports, artists, and actors that are interesting to them. They also have the students type their friends names. NoRedInk then generations all of the work using their selected interests and friends. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is limited features in the free plan. I wish there were more options available to the free content users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is great for struggling students. It targets their interests and adjusts to their skill level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows students to be assigned homework or tasks that are specific to their needs. They take a placement quiz that identifies areas of strength and areas of need. NoRedInk then creates specific lessons geared to those areas of need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Special Education Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

I like that I can use it to work with students especially when teaching them new skills. I also like their email updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't had too many issues. The site was easy to set up and it is easy to keep. My students are always engaged. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think this is wonderful if you are working with lower level students. The breakdown and ease of the site makes everything so easy and painless when teachers have no time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

N/A- have had a wonderful experience so far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Eng I & Eng III Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

I love that it allows me to create assignments that are individualized and diferentiated! It makes it super easy for my sped/504 students to do the same assignment while including their accommodations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it’s a little difficult for students to navigate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is free and a really great resource for schools implementing tech in the classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Giving students the ability to utilize technology in the classroom, without having to pay for expensive software. We are a small rural district and this helps us out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

This is an easy tool to give kids practice with grammar skills! We use it often with 7th and 8th grade to review old knowledge, practice new knowledge, and quiz. They also have fantastic customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I don't love the way things are organized or quizzed, but for the most part I've been able to work around that. There are also certain terms I wish were included, but they are responsive to feedback! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No Red Ink makes it easy to personalize student practice in grammar. Student understanding is what determines how much practice and review they get. They continue to improve and add, too, so there are lots of new features to help your kids. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ESOL Teacher
Education Management
What do you like best?

I like how student-centered the program is since it allows students to choose their interests and then incorporate those interests within the sentences! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were grammatical concepts for ELL students. Some of the sentences use words that are too abstract or difficult for my ELL students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have realized the great benefit this brings into the classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tutor
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

Kids relate to it very well. It is super easy to use for children and they understand it. It's great for teachers because you can track each student individually and the class as whole and adapt lessons at multiple levels. I wish I had known about NoRedInk when I first started teaching. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I cant say I have experienced any problems with NoRedInk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NoRedInk allows students a platform to practice fundamental grammar skills independently and at their own pace. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I like that I can tailor assignments to each student or assign a lesson to the entire class. The lessons are easy to understand and the practice helps the students master each concept. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not so easy to purchase for just one class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use NoRedInk as an individual review for students needing extra practice with grammar and writing conventions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As a teacher, I'm a fan of online platforms for learning. Nothing can replace direct instruction from a effective teacher. However, NoRedInk is interactive, engaging, and tracks students progress well. It meets students were they are currently at in the learning. That way students do not get bored because they already know the material. On the other hand, they do not get frustrated when they don't know the material. I have seen both sides of this with my students when they are worked on a different online platform. My students as like the fact that NoRedInk asks for their interests and then incorporates that into their learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The product can seem a little overwhelming at first because of all the different aspects/learning objectives that are present. My students did not at first understand the idea of a diagnostic test. They became frustrated when they did not know how to correctly do something. But once they were through the diagnostic test onto their own individual learning pathway, they were less frustrated. I wish that NoRedInk could like up with other data from different platforms, so my students do not have to take a diagnostic test every time they are learning a new concept. We also use NWEA Map testing. This would be a great source of data for NoRedInk to collect data from to cut down on the diagnostic part of the site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is an interactive, engaging, and effective tool to help develop students' grammar. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This is solving the students' reluctant nature to practice necessary grammar rules. Students are more engaged than they would be with typical grammar lessons. And NoRedInk holds their attention longer on one aspect of grammar, allowing them ample amount of time to practice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.