NGP VAN Reviews & Product Details

NGP VAN Overview

What is NGP VAN?

NGP VAN is a technology provider to Democratic and progressive campaigns and organizations, offering clients an integrated platform of the best fundraising, compliance, field, organizing, new media, and social networking products.

NGP VAN Details

NGP VAN
1997
Washington, DC
@NGPVAN

Answer a few questions to help the NGP VAN community
Have you used NGP VAN before?

NGP VAN Reviews

Showing 53 NGP VAN reviews
Already have NGP VAN?
AP
What do you like best?

I think NGP VAN needs to respond to inquiries more quickly. I believe they need more staffers to help with responses. I was only ever referred to 2 people who constantly ignored my emails. But the app itself is very user friendly. The website "help" needed updating last time I checked. I think instead of user manuals, you need video tutorials for users because the manuals are outdated on the site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of customer service promptness

Outdated "help" section Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am finding voters based on my targets. I am contacting voters via phone or canvassing. I realized that it is very easy to use, except when there are technical difficulties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Regional Coordinator
International Affairs
What do you like best?

I LOVE the app. It makes knocking on doors SO easy and it's so much easier to collect the data from when you're canvassing.

The Van is very user friendly and pretty intuitive (most of the times). I love how easy it is to make a phone bank, cut turf, and know who to contact for volunteers. I've used NationBuilder and much prefer the VAN as a voter tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike too much about the VAN, but I will say sometimes it's trickier to get older volunteers set up on the VAN to do things like phone banking, but paper forms are always better for those kinds of people. I also think it's really annoying that you have to change your password like once a month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I really recommend using the APP when you're knocking on doors. It is seriously so easy to find places and learn all about someone before you knock on their door. It also cuts the time you spend on data in half, which is so convenient because you work such long hours on campaigns. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy data tracking and figuring out voter turnout. I've used it in a campaign setting and in a nonprofit setting and the benefits are that it's user friendly and just a huge data base of voters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

The voterfile and being able to segment people out by scores and location. Canvassing has never been more easier than with Mini VAN. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I don't have much to dislike. The only improvement would be to have the "event scheduler" have two uses, one to grow really strong volunteers, but then also to just track sign ups. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do any sort of political, legislative, or community organizing, then buy this tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This is a great tool for our political outreach work. It houses people in the system that can potentially join our movement, but it also helps us foster leadership. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

NGP VAN has the flexibility to handle every single component of a political campaign. If you need to send your volunteers and canvassers door-to-door across the state, VAN has the tools you need. Hosting a fundraiser and you want to make sure everyone gets a thank you note and also generate your state campaign finance report? VAN can do that. You need to develop an issue advocacy program between election cycles? VAN can do that. Mass emails to you supporter network? Distributed phone banking? Event rsvp's? VAN has you covered. And if VAN can't do it directly, they almost always have an API ready to go with someone who can help fill your needs, whether that's an robo call system through Callfire, advocacy tools through Revere, or texting through Hustle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface can sometimes be a bit clunky, since there is almost always more than one way to do the same thing. Training documents aren't always readily available, which makes it difficult to train a large campaign staff. Most of the industry users I know have learned this software on the job, and have little or no formal training on the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

NGP VAN is great, but make sure that your sytem administrator is at least somewhat familiar with the system before you try to implement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've used NGP VAN to win multiple campaigns over the years. Without this one simple system to track all of our constituent contact and manage all of our supporter data, I don't think those campaigns could have been successful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

It is one centralized place to log and keep tabs on everything I need as a Campaign Manager. When it comes to fundraising, it is easy to build and maintain files on my donors and targets. It is great to log information about those who our campaigns brings aboard as volunteers, including how often or recently they are being used to avoid over use and burnout. When it comes to Campaign Finance Reporting, NGPVAN allows me to enter in the information specific to my reporting requirements and the program does my work for me. When it comes to filing time, my treasurer's life is a breeze. NGPVAN really provides a medium for our information to be stored and accessed so that I can be confident that nothing is slipping through the cracks and we are staying as tightly organized as we need to be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The newest interface (NGPVAN 8)is sometimes not the most user friendly when it comes to running call time and logging data in real time as compared to previous versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Talk to others who have used the product/are using the product and let them show you the application of how easy it is. You will be amazed by the utility of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is the easiest way to log all of my campaign data in one place, no matter if it is coming from fundraising, volunteer activity, or some other sphere. Everything is in one place and easily organized. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
Government Relations
What do you like best?

In the older versions of NGP I've used, the interface is very intuitive and easy for beginners to pick up. Simple to moderate functions can be done at ease without much training. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Newer version of NGP, along with Direct Connect, are practically the opposite of intuitive and are incredibly difficult to use, leading to a lot of time wasted trying to figure out simple tasks, or just easily avoidable mistakes. Also, some of the more advanced functions of NGP are difficult to pick up on and not very obvious without a comprehensive tutoring session. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NGP is central to the work we do everyday managing the finances of a number of political candidates and groups. NGP makes producing call sheets incredibly simple, and you don't appreciate how good it is until you have to make call sheets from scratch, an incredibly tedious job which can take hours without the intuitive NGP software. Also, compliance work is very simple through NGP, a few clicks of the button does a job that would otherwise entail weeks of dealing with snail mail or hundreds of pages of printing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

The interface is really user-friendly and I love the ability to see if people in my network have voted when it gets close to election day. You can train someone with little or no VAN experience in a matter of days. VAN makes recruiting and maintaining volunteers a breeze. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I was able to have the "My Campaign" tab and "My voters" tab open in the same browser. VAN has crashed on me a handful of times which can be frustrating when working long hours and getting close to election day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend attending an NGP VAN training webinar to get a full grasp of it's capabilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NGP VAN is the premier service when it comes to mobilizing voters for political and issue campaigns. There is no other service that compares to NGP VAN and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to strengthen their field program and win electoral campaigns. I look forward to using NGP VAN in the future and hope other field programs will as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that NGP VAN was easy to use as a first time user. I started working on it as an intern and found it very easy to pick up for fundraising purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think that the user interface of NGP VAN is a little bit clunky and not intuitive. It can be complicated to navigate through if you do not know what you are looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use NGP VAN to aid in our event planning and fundraising efforts. It helps organize donors and helps to target our donors for certain marketing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

It makes entering new information about voters, and pulling specialized lists seamless. I could only imagine what a nightmare organizing campaigns would be without it, or another product like it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no real complaints at the moment. From a data perspective, I do sometimes worry about the quality of data that is going in. The 2-factor authentication is also extremely frustrating. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use votebuilder for elections. It has been a great way to keep the voter file organized, and allows counties and precincts to coordinate their own efforts easily. We wouldn't win elections without it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

All campaigners know VAN is the gold standard, whether you like it or not. It's great to have predictive dialer, virtual phone bank, mini van, list building, all those things in one system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Every action and Van are essentially the same, they should just be the same. In our last campaign we constantly had to duplicate events in VAN for internal tracking and EA for public facing events. Our use was distributed so there was also a lag time in getting some features turned on, even just exporting lists. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Working within a coalition, again it's the gold standard whether you like it or not. In the campaign world it would be unthinkable to try any other system. The plus side is that it's a very transferable skill set. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Campaign Consultant
Public Relations and Communications
What do you like best?

NGP VAN is a user-friendly tool that gives me access to data for voter outreach and canvassing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

NGP VAN can be difficult to log in to an often requires me to confirm my identity by getting a code texted to my phone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NGP VAN allows me to be more strategic when it comes to voter engagement. I can reach constituents I know turn out to vote. The tool allows me to seamlessly filter by party affiliation, gender, affinity to vote, etc. which helps when formulating our campaign strategy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Campaign Manager
Political Organization
What do you like best?

The beauty of the VAN is its ease to use for first-time users and also its MiniVAN app. No more long nights of data entry, save your time and volunteers for what works - actual voter contact! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If an area has a lack of good voter files to upload from the SecState, the data is less reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It saves on manpower hours and puts staff/volunteers into direct voter contact, which is much more effective and cost saving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

The best thing about VAN is how secure it is. Once you’re logged in it’s incredibly easy to access voter contact information, cut turf, track dials and so much more on this app. I’m amazed by the amount of things it can accomplish. I appreciate the levels of access there are (field workers, volunteers, HQ all have their own type of access). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Being logged out for a short span of inactivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

N/A. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Events Staff- UGA Bookstore
Events Services
What do you like best?

The ease of app use. The minivan app provides a simple way to go through voter rolls for local campaigns in particular. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The user interface, namely visually. Nothing is wrong with the apps outright functionality, but the interface could use an update. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Reaching local voters to both determine support for political candidates, but the platform also presents a good way to gauge citizen sentiment on pertinent issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

NGP is the best way to run a campaign. It is the backbone to everything I do as an organizer, and the campaign motto is often "if it isn't in VAN, it isn't happening." I think it is relatively user friendly, a wonderful way to organize a campaign, and a powerful tool for event planning and large-scale field work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

NGP VAN does many things very well, but it could benefit from talking to the people who use it and asking them what they need. For example, data entry is not easy to do. Similarly, the default options when searching for people, looking at data, or making events are never the options real people would use, and there is not an easy way to save the correct options as the default. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My entire job is basically scheduling, calling, and organizing people with VAN. Nothing we do in the field part of my congressional campaign would be possible without VAN. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I love the page where it shows you profiles you’ve recently been on so you don’t have to constantly look them up it’s already their Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like how it times me out so fast sometimes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely would use to keep track of volunteers it’s so much more effective than just placing people in a calendar Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I’ve realized the benefits of having one place to put volunteers instead of like a google doc. It gives multiple people access to the same information and organizes them for future use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Van relies on a multitude of voter info to pertain the most relavant of campaigns for them. You can then compile lists of relevant voter databases to support your script. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Users can update voter databases with inaccurate information. Its up to responsible users to correct the database upon discoveries of immaculate information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can't break van. Its already peripetually breaking and it's up to you to fix it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am constantly making van more effective each time I update a voters information and I help the action fund I'm part of by increasing their voter files when I identify voters that support our csuses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Consultant/Strategist
Public Policy
What do you like best?

The voter database is updated frequently from the NE Secretary of State. But unfortunately not frequently enough. Too many times over the years have I called a number and spoken to a widow or widower. Or called the same constituent lead only to have my eardrums almost blown because it's still a fax after years? How hard is it to update the database from canvasser feedback about call disposition? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No note writing capability in the OpenVPB platform. Votebuilder offers a notes field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

R Votes is far more antiquated. NGP VAN seems to be the only viable option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefit is easy connection with voters. When they are reached. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

The best part of NGP is the ability to download contact/client donor lists. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be complicated to upload/find information about specific donors. You have to go through several tabs to even get to where you need to be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All of our client donor info is centralized which is a benefit for us and we are able to track call time/donations that come in to each campaign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like that NGP VAN is extremely user friendly and is very connected between all of its uses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Every so often there are glitches regarding the data input. Sometimes the data that it presents is not actually what was input by the user. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NGP VAN is extremely effective for campaigns with a large team where everyone's data inputs are synced together for analysis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

It is very good at breaking down large group statistics and making them easy to read and analyze. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is excessively difficult to identify individual numbers and analyze the effectiveness and accountability of each canvasser. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try to keep script and questions the same and set activist codes and survey questions in the results tab to make analytics easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Political Mobilization Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I felt very well equipped to manage and contact my voters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I found that in initially recruiting volunteers, working outside of VAN produced more meaningful connections with potential vols. Somehow VAN produced less personal contact. I don't have a resolution for this, but that is my observation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I started with no vols and then I had vols. Problem solved! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

VAN was crucial for our campaign once we started having paid walkers. We could literally just send them a link or ID number and they could just go! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing bad to say really. It didn't really drain my battery much. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We saved costs on paper and printing, and we also had a more accurately recorded database. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

The site was easy to use and made keeping track of people in my network, scheduling, and packets all in one place much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Different layouts between tabs and various form entry. Maybe too many screens to complete actions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Used for auditing of various forms, creating turf and packets, sharing data amongst entire organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

NGP VAN made it easy to navigate with their map showing locations of houses and the amount of people within each house. I could plan the best and most efficient route fairly easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Much of the data was not accurate or updated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has made canvassing more efficient and allowed greater grassroots initiatives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.