Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) Reviews & Product Details

Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) Overview

What is Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay)?

Web filtering in today's schools is about more than blocking websites; it's about keeping students safe from inappropriate content to things like bullying, self-harm, and violence while still allowing the learning and collaboration mobile technology brings. Whether its protecting take-home devices or keeping parents informed, Lightspeed Systems has you covered. Our patent-pending Smart Agents give you protection and SSL decryption on all devices, on your network, and off, all in the cloud. Lightspeed Analytics™ helps schools make smarter, data-driven decisions by providing them robust reports that answer their toughest questions: Can we save money by eliminating unused or redundant solutions? Which tools are being used, and what tools are not? Are there any rouge apps on our system that are violating student data privacy? And more. Lightspeed Classroom Management™ helps keep students on task. Sophisticated AI monitors website browsing and provides real-time insights inside the classroom and for distance learning. Teachers can see open browser tabs, view browsing history, monitor screens, send links, and more. Lightspeed MDM™ allows school IT teams to manage all their devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, Chrome) on and off the school network. Manage integrates with the Apple App Store and Windows Business store portal, includes smart hierarchical distribution, and controls let IT remotely push, revoke, move, manage and report on apps across their schools and devices. Lightspeed Filter™ is a multi-OS cloud-based web filter. It supports every device including BYOD and IoT either on the school networks, at home, or anywhere. Lightspeed Alert™ helps teachers, and admins spot concerning behavior- whether it's cyberbullying, school violence, self-harm, suicide, and other harmful behaviors. Alert's advanced AI, real-time alerts and comprehensive reports help schools curb these harmful behaviors by providing actionable information.

Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) Details

No hardware. No hassles. Relay is a whole new way to filter.

Lightspeed Systems Filter, Lightspeed Analytics, Lightspeed MDM, Lightspeed Classroom Management, and Lightspeed Alert empower schools, and IT teams to protect their students on and off-campus.

Lightspeed Systems
1999
Austin, TX
@lightspeedsys

Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) Videos

Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) community
Have you used Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) before?

Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) Reviews

Showing 56 Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay) reviews
Already have Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay)?
What do you like best?

Lightspeed Classroom for teachers, giving teachers control and monitoring students browsing in a classroom or during distant learning. The safety check feature is amazing at identifying possible self harm and violent students. This allows us to early identify and get needed assistance to students that may go unnoticed by other administrative and observational means. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some reporting is not as in depth as I would like. As a security analyst I prefer to be able to dig down in data. Searching for groups that are nested under other groups doesn't not work well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Plan the rollout and training as well as the structure for filtering (ie. OU). The Google integration is easy to use and allows for intuitive filtering if structured correctly. It has made our process so much easier and streamlined many of the "how we do business" processes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Distant learning filtering for K-12, Classroom monitoring for teachers, safety checks of students for self harm and violence. Additionally the administration was able to have reporting at their fingertips. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technology Integrationist
What do you like best?

The fact that Relay works the same on campus as it does off campus without a lot of extra configuration is great! I am able to easily see what type of sites users are going to and which ones are blocked and why. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When you make a change to a rule or recategorize a website, it take a little time for it to be recognized by the agent. At least 15 minutes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read the documentation and articles in their knowledge base. It is better to know you are setting things up right than to have to go back and fix them later. Lightspeed has a great helpdesk, they have always done a great job when I needed a hand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Relay easily allowed me to make changes to our filtering while we were doing distance learning last Spring. I was able to get in and see what was being blocked and make changes from my couch at home if needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that Lightspeed Relay integrates closely with our MDM. It helps us keep track of web traffic and tie it to the student. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is a painful process to deploy on MacBooks. The only issues we've had have been due to deployment issues. I wish it was as simple as running a .pkg on MacBooks. Instead we had to use a login script. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking to implement a content filter on your student devices, I would recommend making sure that the features you are interested in are supported on your device platform. Some things Relay offers don't always work on iOS devices because of Apple's limitations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lightspeed Relay on our MacBooks has been great for SSL decryption. We now have reports based on Keywords and Search Queries. We can block specific pages on a site without blocking the entire domain. The Safety Check is also a great feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Safety Check with Screenshots is great. Helps us protect student and or address their needs when alerts come up. I love the ability to share a link for up to 7 days to our administrators Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Lightspeed Relay OSX Agent will not work correctly when deployed by an MDM. There doesn't seem to be a way to set devices to bypass the proxy to access local network devices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for Chromebooks but Windows and Macbooks are more difficult to set up with Relay Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The reporting allows us to look into all Chromebook traffic and see what students and staff do in detail. Flagged keywords and the safety check feature help school administrators know what is going on with each student on or offsite. It's usually very easy to determine if a safety check needs to be addressed quickly or if it's related to school classwork. Using the Google directory we are able to easily filter or run reports on different groups of users. We can also give school administrators access to their own schools students and staff and that free up time for the IT department. Lightspeed Relay gives you quick , detailed access to data for other School staff saving the tech department time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the way I can approve or deny content based on groups, like students, teachers, grades, schools, etc... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I find that the product is sometimes flaky and doesn't always do what you tell it to do. I have never been able to the lockouts feature to work correctly, it always blocks uses that visits other sites that I haven't even chosen. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend paying to have the product installed and setup by Lightspeed instead of doing it yourself. I still have settings that I'm not sure are set correctly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has allowed me to filter the content of my students when they are away from campus, something that we've never been able to do. It has been huge with the Covid-19 school attendance restrictions allowing us to filter students while home doing virtual learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The most helpful is having the students with school devices or their own devices filtered at home. We are able to provide valuable information to their parents and helps the students keep engaged in their education knowing they are filtered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to run reports past 30 days. Some parents would like to see their student's progression in the use of websites to see if they kept away from certain area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have been using Lightspeed Systems since 2007 while at a school in Tennessee. I immediately recommended and installed the system here in Virginia back in 2013. We love it and no other system has come close to beating what LS has available and the ease of using it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We currently had a new employee, our new nurse, plug in her iPhone into her school's desktop computer. Within minutes she was locked out. Upon researching the issue, it was due to her having a TikTok app on her phone, which was filtered via Relay. She was locked out but the system allowed her back in within the time we had set.

This confirmed that the settings work even when the staff/students use their other tech devices on our wifi. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

We use Chromebooks in our school. If you need to manage multiple chromebooks in an Educational setting then Relay is a no-brainer.

We have the ability to set up our config in Google Admin, so that the Relay software is tied to the student (not the device), and then the software automatically is installed and runs on any chromebook that the student uses from that point forward. Also, a big plus for us was the ability to manage Youtube at a granular level. We don't want to block Youtube altogether, but it has to be limited otherwise it becomes one of the biggest distractions that teachers deal with. So with Relay we can block the comments, turn off the playlist auto-play feature, and block or allow individual videos or channels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The process of moving/managing students is a little tedious. The students are imported automatically from Google Admin, however they initially weren't being put in the correct 'building' so I had to move them manually. However, that may not be an issue now as Lightspeed has been making some improvements and changes to Relay. (I haven't had to get in there and do that for several months because of the Covid complications that we are working under). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to manage chromebooks in your organization and you are a G Suite for Enterprise/Education customer, then this software is a must have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ease of web filtering, and the visibility that it gives us, is an absolute must. Relay allows my administrators the ability to easily see what the students are doing online. That wasn't an option before as our filtering system was onsite and too complicated ... therefore I was the only one that could log into it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Technology Officer
What do you like best?

Lightspeed web filter is hands down the most built for true k12 protection online. The filtering ability from customize to AI driven keeps classroom instruction in mind . The ability to control at various levels for users or location is great.

Lightspeed reporting and audit abilities takes the stress out of keeping and eye on internet usage across your school system . With the ability to automate reports based on threats or concerns to specific users has a great impact on being able to correct possible issues fast

New advancements in threat detection help to identify trends of users possibly in need of interventions

Also new to the product is parent insight ability giving a true view into thier children’s internet activity

Add the power of relay and off network filters is a breeze Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is not any glaring items related to Lightspeed filter that I can say is a negative ,, especially relay which moves the filtering to the cloud ending any internal limitations on bandwidth Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Content filtering

Phishing protection

User reporting

Bandwidth monitoring

Application bandwidth Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from London Sarabia of Lightspeed Platform (Formerly Relay)

Kyle, thank you for your feedback. We're thrilled you like the solution so much!

What do you like best?

The web filtering? That's why we purchased the product. I don't know any upsides or downsides since this is the only platform that we have used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The change of BYOD/Guest web filtering. That was something that was included with the cloud service, but now I have to host that locally on my own hardware. I don't see how this was beneficial to anyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check over the web interface to get a feel for it. It is fairly easy to use, but could definitely use a revamp. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problem that we solved was the webfiltering. We had limited protection in place before and now we have webfiltering. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Relay has been amazing. It has benefitted our parish is a variety of ways. I especially like the Safety Check function. Safety Check has been a literal life saver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can’t think of anything that I dislike. Anytime I’ve had a problem Relay has addressed the issue and created a better work flow environment for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This platform will provide all that you need for your students and staff to succeed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Relay helps us keep our students on track. It keeps them from cheating, visiting inappropriate sites, etc. My favorite is the Safety Check self-harm feature though. It has literally saved lives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Relay is a unified dashboard that allows me to monitor and filter all of our Chrome devices in one place. No more going to 5 different places for filtering, controlling videos, looking where students have been on the internet, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While it's not really a downside, with everything in one place, there is a lot to learn. The tutorials help but the level of granulation available for the various settings means you have to get your hands dirty for a while before you can take full advantage of all the features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Most importantly, we can see concerns about students without needing to know that we need to go in and look. We have been able to get students help for emotional issues and potential self harm issues because the alerts let us know of potential problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

For starters, the admin console is amazing. We have had ZERO issues with the filter going down / not working. I have been very impressed with Lightspeed. It just works.

Also, I'm really happy with the self-harm detection. I'm glad that it has allowed us to help keep our children safe. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really do not have any dislikes. I'm honestly a cheerleader for this company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I do not have any at the moment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to prevent self-harm, keep students away from mature content, and protect the integrity of our computers/network from malicious websites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Deployment on chrome devices is simple and management is a breeze. Support is always helpful. Best of all it works on and off campus. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Controls are not as fine grained as some other products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a cost effective and low maintenance way to filter user traffic on and off your managed network. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The obvious answer to this is distance learning. Luckily we were already using Relay prior to the covid outbreak. The ability to filter traffic no matter what network our students are on is vital now more than ever. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is easy to operate and the back end is sleek yet powerful. We have been using the software for a number of years and never had an issue with it. It works both on prem and at home so we are confident that students will always be filtered no matter where they are. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I personally don't currently have any dislikes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend it for the advantages stated previously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Filtering devices at home use to be complex and fraught with issues. Relay makes the process streamlined and simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

When I have an issue the tech persons are polite and are very willing to help. They will email me to see if the problem has been solved and if not they continue to work on a solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The initial phone call where the person answering really doesn't know how to help me yet they are very willing to put in a ticket and have someone return my call. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Relay because of the ease of use and great consumer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

At the moment I am, with the help of Mitch, trying to solve the issue with my groups. They are not properly syncing from my AD groups to relay. I believe we will be able to fix this issue next week. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Lightspeed Relay gives me a single platform to monitor student activity when online. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Staff/Faculty user management could improve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Compare the features and make sure they have a focus on student safety. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Originally Lightspeed Relay was purchased to provide web filtering however it does so much more. We have the ability to review online activity to determine if a student is in a situation that may be threatening to themselves or others. We have used this data to refer students to school counselors and have potentially avoided catastrophic situations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to link with powerschool and our google server settings. The reports are full of useful information that can be easily distributed to the administration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That it doesn't filter BYOD. That I need to use a rocket. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You won't find and easier web management system that filters what you need filtered, that is also easy to setup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows devices to go where you want them to go. I am able to see where most of the internet traffic is going. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

What I like best about Relay is the reporting functionality. It makes it really easy to drill down to the specifics of what a user or users have been viewing. It is also very easy to deploy to our student Chromebooks to allow filtering even when off our network. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We had some difficulty with the Mac and Windows Relay clients early on, but those have been resolved. The Chrome extension works flawlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider using Active Directory or Google as your user and group management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Relay allows us to filter our students' Internet activity no matter where they log in from. The Chrome Relay Agent is simple to deploy from G Suite and helps protect our students from inappropriate content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have access to whatever information I need, whenever I need it. And working at a small private school as the only technology resource, this makes life that much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There seems to be to much lag time when moving between reports or pulling up the initial information that I need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use this platform to help monitor student internet usage, keyword searches, and activity that falls outside of an education-related usage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

I do like the ease of pinpointing a student's usage, although lately I have been unable to download their usage and send it back to an Admin or teacher. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The inability to add a student to a class, Or modify certain things that are inaccurate from the GG$L link that we are using to populate our classes with teacher and student information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They really need to hire more technicians that can actually answer questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are seeing what we can and cannot allow with our filter, based upon usage and the amount of hits the students are trying to attempt to login to and the genre of their requests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the streamline flow of light speed and the amount of granularity that can be achieved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of work on the front end for setting up and pushing out the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has worked quite well as a filter/ monitoring system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

mobile technology assistant
What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can get as granular as I want with my filter policies. I also like that it will filter my students anywhere that they use their school account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At current, I am having trouble getting the safety check portion up and running. I have yet to contact support about it, but I will in the coming weeks and I am sure that they will get it taken care of as I have always had good experiences with their support. Also, sometimes the management portal is a little sluggish. I am not really sure why this is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The setup and usage is fairly easy, the only thing that I would recommend is to set aside an afternoon when you are not bothered to get everything going. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Desktop monitoring and web filtering. One of the portions of relay that has been handy is the teacher's ability to see what is going on while the students are on their Chromebooks. They love this capability. It allows them to keep the students on task and to make sure that they are not doing things that they don't need to be doing. This becomes handy for our AMI days, as the teachers can help students from home as well. As long as they are logged in and the teacher is in the classroom relay portal, they can click on the class that the student is in and see what the student is working on and help them if they are having trouble. This has been a great feature for the last couple of years since we have started to work with these days in place of snow days, helping to keep our students from having to go to school later in the summer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

We are able to manage our students learning by being able to redirect their in-class experience to stay on task, monitor their behavior online on or off school premises as well as knowing they are searching safely! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are times not all students appear in classes as they should. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping students on task and redirecting their wandering minds back to the task of education instead of searching the www. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technology Integration Specialist
What do you like best?

Safety Check has been the most valuable to me. Even though many of the alerts are not actionable, I would rather have that than missing even one authentic alert. Filtering by category is also a godsend. We would never get the level of filtering we need if we had to enter each category. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have a lot of requests to see history for specific students. While we can do that, it's usually not appropriate in the cases in which it's requested. It's not really a dislike about Relay, however. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As mentioned above, we are able to granulate our filtering rules to a level that we would not have been able to realize. This allows us to get more students "dialed in" to the places they need to go and away from those that they don't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.