Information Builders WebFOCUS

Information Builders WebFOCUS

Makers of business intelligence (BI), data integrity, and integration software: WebFOCUS & iWay Software. Tens of thousands of customers, decades of experience.

Work for Information Builders WebFOCUS?

Learning about Information Builders WebFOCUS?

Information Builders WebFOCUS Reviews

Ask Information Builders WebFOCUS a Question
Showing 132 Information Builders WebFOCUS reviews
Dawn T.

"Empowered InfoAssist User"

What do you like best?

I only use the InfoAssist platform to develop reporting solutions for my department. The latest release allows me to provide information and visualize the information in ways I could only dream of before. I love the new tools that have been introduced and they have taken my portal to the next level.

What do you dislike?

The InfoAssist tool is consistently inconsistent at times. I can't always hit the enter key when setting up my filters using numbers or dates. Sometimes I have to hit the arrow key instead. I can't enter dates in my filters I have to pick them off the custom date list. My end users keep hitting the enter key to run the report off of parameters and that doesn't work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I love the level of support that Information Builders provides. They don't just sell you a product and walk away. They have partnered with us throughout our journey.

The benefit I have realized is surfacing needed KPIs in the Underwriting Department in a way that is easily understood by managers and underwriters. The data is now leveraged in decision making.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Information Builders WebFOCUS
Melanie E.

"The perfect fit for the Midsize!"

What do you like best?

We are not a large company and love that Information Builders created an option for us. It is affordable and still provides the core functions that we need. This is BI for us!

What do you dislike?

We have not really found anything that we don't like. Once in a while we find that there is a function not available to us in the Business User edition, but we usually find a work around that works for us -

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking to get started quickly and easily I would consider WebFOCUS BUE.

The best part of Webfocus BUE has been the scheduling and alerting! We are using this to automatically send reports, alerts, spreadsheets - to our users and customers. This all took user time before - now it is automatic. We are also using the data we are visualizing to drive change in our company - to help us better perform for our customers.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Marita L.

"The tool has come a long way in the 20 years I have been using it"

What do you like best?

What I like most about WebFOCUS is how powerful it is no matter what data source is connected or how many different data sources you are combining data from to get your reports completed.

What do you dislike?

The new HTML composer will not allow you to tweek the code directly any more and I have noticed that it still does not remove the code referencing old deleted controls. This will confuse browsers and slow down load times.

The current upgrades are not going as easy as we are told they should. There are visual issues with 8204 from 8202M which I am not getting support on fixing. I feel short of a complete redo of the application on the new version I will not be able to upgrade.

Bernard H.

"WebFOCUS BI and Analytics, The Greatest Environment to work with"

What do you like best?

As a BI Administrator and Analyst, I like the most the very efficient, close, dedicated, responsive, fast support of IBI. We work with IBI people from Amsterdam and we have the best support we can get.

We have very frequent contacts, user groups, summit, council and meeting.

We also use focal point and the case management system. It's great and very professional.

The way we work with IBI as a partner for our BI and the very confident and close relationship we have is amazing.

What do you dislike?

The administration and configuration of the environment is not so easy and quite complex to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend the IBI Website and online Support of IBI.

I recommend the customer community and the BI Summit organized by IBI

I recommend the book "Organizational Intelligence" by Gerald D. Cohen and Dr. Rado Kotorov

We as a BI team have to provide our business users with applications and tools giving the users access and insight to the data. The problem we are trying to solve is...

How do we ease the work of our business users by minimizing the time and effort they spend to learn and know the data model of the BI system (ideally they shouldn't have to learn anything about the data model)

We are trying to provide our users with fast, intuitive and easy Tools and Apps.

Frans v.

"10 years of WebFOCUS usage"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of the system the most. In 10 years of using it there has not been a situation where we could not solve it within WebFOCUS. Besides the UI there is a FOCUS language that you can use that saves a lot of time for developers. I have worked with different BI tools and the FOCUS language can reduce a one week job to a single day. The system is also easy to integrate with and into 3rd party products with Rest API.

What do you dislike?

WebFOCUS has many different modules and some of them work a bit differently. For many people it's for example hard to understand the difference between making a report in the Business Intelligence Portal or on Reporting server. I've understood Information Builders is working on a single, responsive user interface which will solve this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Put good effort in setting up an architecture. There are many option in setting the system up, make sure you choose the best.

Getting insight in customer behavior, discovering trends, measuring effect of marketing, helping our customers to grow.

Johnathan M.

"Nice front end that is easily adaptable to many data course"

What do you like best?

The title of my review says it all really. Creating content is a snap although one can get bogged down in complex data retrievals although the language is derived from SQL (Focus is a 4GL adapted from SQL). The beauty of Focus is the adaptability to just about any data source.

What do you dislike?

Although you can create based reports in a snap, it takes a bit of a learning curve to master more useful queries. It would be nice to have more drag-drop/point-click capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great tool for your business groups with people that know the data best, but to get more advanced some training (which IBI offers abundantly) will be required.

Data collection; farming statistics regarding a call center. However, I was a Focus user for at least 10 years and used it in a variety of settings, from basic reporting to front-ends where you could input data and retrieve results.

Warren W.

"Good Product and support"

What do you like best?

The tool itself has a lot of features to it including the ability in newer version which we don't use now to integrate d3 graph functionality into your reports. The BI Portal is a very nice interface that allow users to navigate pretty easy and security to be controlled. The yearly user conference is very nice as they work to listen to how users are using the application and help individually.

What do you dislike?

There have been features in prior editions including what were on now that should have been enabled on the system but when we went to use them, they didn't work and we had to submit a case to find out it wasn't working in that version.

We are using this for a wide variety of topics for various users. This is including management style dashboards to excel bases report that are distributed via an automated tool.

John C.

"Fast, easy and intelligent"

What do you like best?

The ease of pulling reports together, showing those reports and allowing other users to interact with the results.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a little buggy, but the interface makes it easy

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the leap! It combines the best of other Platforms and makes the product feel like its your own.

We now have one place to make edits and changes we can then turn out to a myriad of users, without having to edit each user's information individually.

Tom H.

"BI enterprise developer/user"

What do you like best?

I like their constant push to improve self, offerings and partnerships. Their local team has always been most informational, helpful and hospitable

What do you dislike?

Unique language, creates some difficulty in finding resolutions to issues when not able to find out in focal point. But many resources are offered beyong to improve knowledge via0 summit and classes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product, great sales and support team to assist in deciding if this product is for you and your business

Many, currently working toward self service. Better success with development because of more coordination with business

Dashboard development is helping us to move streamlined reporing and follow what business users are more activlely seeking in their day to day

Kelly I.

"New Customer"

What do you like best?

The tool is very intuitive, powerful and innovative - and the customer service and support, and resources are fantastic.

What do you dislike?

The product was demo'd with "clean" easy data that could be used to build great things using the GUI. We came to learn that with "messy" data, or more complex scenarios, doing things with the GUI are sometimes not possible. Tool is harder to learn than we thought initially it would be. ***Also, no way to easily print from a portal. Big need for us to be able to do that!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the consulting services to help you get started.

To date - customer facing dashboards and portals. We will also be using it to automate existing reports and create better operational dashboards.

Jamie M.

"A Mature Full-stack BI Solution"

What do you like best?

I like that the IBI solution provides a full stack of integrated solutions that provide flexibility while integrating well together. There is limited need to search the market for component-based elements to build up a solution. Despite every solution provider saying they can "connect to anything," experience demonstrates there are always integration challenges. IBI's integrated set of solution, providing high quality stable solutions, minimizes how often an external tool or package may need to be sourced.

What do you dislike?

The IBI tools are evolving, but competitors are pushing the envelop substantially and thus demonstrating solutions to business that appear more intuitive or responsive that the IBI tools. However, the stability of the IBI tools is paramount and enabling backwards compatibility as much as possible is important, so I appreciate it is an incremental process for IBI to continue to transform their solutions for further functional abilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Engage in reference calls: I have found other IBI consumers to be open and honest in their successes and challenges.

Making BI & Analytics pervasive within our organization, we have substantially augmented the data available to the business, we have transformed the visualization of that data to make it more consumable and substantially improved the governance of the entire environment.

Calvert S.

"Hands down the best BI product I have worked with!"

What do you like best?

I love the usability of the product. When I was first introduced to WebFOCUS I was able to get up and running developing reports with no training. Because of my reporting and database background, I was able to start working with the product very quickly. I have been fortunate enough to have won a few awards for our initial work using the product and am in the process of upgrading our BI platform to WebFOCUS.

What do you dislike?

I do dislike some of the challenges with working with date functions within the language. It is not as easy as I would like it, but I have been able to overcome those by using functions within SQL views and queries which I have a stronger base in.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best Customer Service in the business!

We are currently moving our internal performance dashboards for SLA management into WebFOCUS. We have also been largely doing crime analysis and reporting using the product preciously. We are currently very interested in the potential for Voice-Based Analytics which are coming in the near future.

"A solution for small and large businesses alike"

What do you like best?

Among the top of the list of best features is the ease of use. More often than not you do not have to dig very deep in the layers of the application or configuration in order to make changes. In the circumstance that you do have to revert to referencing a manual or user guide, they are intuitively written and designed to get you to the section to service your request as quickly as possible.

What do you dislike?

While it is often a blessing it can also be a curse, and that is the frequency of some updates. The client, which is used by global customers, often is in constant need of attention by IBI to ensure they are meeting everyone's business needs. While that is not a bad thing, there is something frustration in waiting for a fix or feature that's coming in a prior release that is still months away.

Much of what is improved or has been solved by using WebFOCUS is automation of manual reporting processes. What used to take days or even weeks to produce, can typically be done now with a few clicks and a little understanding of your data and business logic.

We have realized that the sky is the limit with these products and our processes should only improve in years to come.

Information Builders is constantly evolving their products as well as developing new tools. We are always looking to be early adopters in picking up new products and technologies to better our processes and business as well as to provide valuable feedback to IBI that will continue to help them create and improve these products.

Anthony C.

"A platform that keeps getting better."

What do you like best?

The FOCUS language coupled with front end web technologies has enabled us to build reporting solutions very quickly, as well as abstract the technical complexities away from our analysts and business users.

What do you dislike?

The product is in a constant beta whether it is a GA release or actually denoted as a beta. There has always been bugs I've had to work around.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This can be a great product to use for your BI needs. It's definitely a work in progress while they revamp the product for mobile first, responsive business solutions. They've made big strides with this already and continue to showcase their efforts in a pleasing manner to those of us familiar with how it needs to work as a platform.

We have been able to fulfill business needs and desires for many of our business units that have surpassed what they had to work with before to accomplish their work requirements.

Robert S.

"Extremely Versatile and User-Friendly Analytics Tools"

What do you like best?

The ability to generate reports,, graphs and dashboards, from single or multiple data sets with just the click of a few buttons. Leveraging the power of JOINS you have the power to cross reference data from multiple sources across your organization in order to help identify, understand, and then solve potential problems

What do you dislike?

There are an ever growing number of products and extensions and it's not always clear what is "standard" webFOCUS and what is an add-on

We use this software for a majority of our VOIP call reporting needs. Our organization handles approximately 2 million calls a month and WebFOCUS allows us to report call activity through a centralized dashboard to the entire organization. Employees can also perform their own Self-Service Analytics through this portal, which empowers them to make changes appropriate if the results are less than ideal.

Bryan L.

"Data is Awesome"

What do you like best?

I love how simple webfocus is for users to pick up. It is as basic as any web page.

What do you dislike?

The information is sometimes too detailed for people to understand. Also, the data isnt up to date by the minute or hour, it has a two day delay.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The ease of use with WebFOCUS is something to consider. InfoAssist is a good product. Individuals do not need to be able to write code anymore to create reports

My company is able to get data to managers all day and night.

Mike K.

"WebFOCUS has been a tremendous help to get the information "

What do you like best?

The ability to control reporting by using code or the GUI interface. You can query the Report Repository to get valuable information for creating a custom Report Repository and Data Dictionary. You have the ability to create your own data level security and utilize it as needed, without being limited to what is required by the product itself. I also like the ease of use of being able to create the schema you report against by simply clicking on the schema of the SQL table and having WebFOCUS create its own schema (synonym). It simplifies and speeds up reporting tremendously.

What do you dislike?

There are periodic bugs that we have worked around. One other problem is the vagueness of certain error messages that occur. This vagueness often causes new developers to become frustrated until they have gained the experience to understand exactly what is going on. We also have a problem with the timeliness of new releases. We have been waiting over nine months for the 8.2 version which we were told would be available early to mid 2016.

We are solving a great deal of problems throughout the organization by putting the ability to view dashboards and reports as a self-service tool and then having the ability for the user to drill down to see outliers or problems along with all the details that comprise the metric. We are using it for Departmental P&L's, Income and Balance Sheet reporting for the organization, AR Analysis and trending, Clinical Effectiveness, Lab and Radiology reporting, just to name a few. We have 59 portals available to address the operational reporting needs of the organization. We are currently reporting against over 1,000 tables or data marts with over 300 users accessing our system..

Jair M.

"BI for everyone"

What do you like best?

How easily you car read data from various sources and integrated into a single chart/report

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the graphic libraries used are a little bit old.

We have a vast data centre with all the platforms you can imagine, so we have a bunch of tools to analize performance and resource utilisation and each one of has its own repository.

With WebFocus and netezza we have create a big repository where to take all data coming from different tools and develop different portals to generate reports/graphics to analyze those data.

So from a single point we can see all of our platforms and drill down up tp process level details.

IR
Internal Consultant in Research

"WebFOCUS 8.1.05M"

What do you like best?

WebFOCUS is a great reporting tool. It has a intuit GUI for beginners to produce useful reports. The IDE for developers is full-featured. The underlying FOCUS language is powerful and capable of creating any application. I use it for most of my application development.

What do you dislike?

The generated launch page HTML code breaks if edited. They are getting better at letting you customize the HTML, but you have to be careful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. They don't advertise much, but they are really good.

I currently create finance and accounting tracking tools - portals, launch pages and reports.

I have used WebFOCUS for myriad scientific and engineering applications.

WebFOCUS can access any/all data types from SQL and CSV to product specific proprietary formats

Doug P.

"Information Builders WebFOCUS Platform"

What do you like best?

Information Builders has a very strong platform that covers the entire suite of BI and Analytics needs. Typically, one has to integrate a number of disparate best-in-class products from within the industry to deliver a robust end-to-end solution. With Information Builders, since their individual solutions are very high quality and easy to plug-in, I simply add-in the required product as needed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes their enterprise licensing is a bit expensive to add on a new product needed for only a few users. I do see Information Builders now working towards resolving the pricing challenge on several of their new products.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have a strategy prior to buying any industry products, as IBI value is highest with a full platform solution.

Many, from basic quality reporting to self-service enterprise analytics. Amerisure continues to gain valuable insight from their data to drive accuracy and facts-based decision making.

Joe B.

"BI software for all your needs, big or small"

What do you like best?

InfoAssit+ visualizations are some of the best in the market, but whats great is how quickly new features get added into the product.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the UI work more like a cell phone with less confirmation clicks, I want the visuals to reach to every click.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Review the entire portfolio. Information Builders has a full suite of BI products.

We have been able to visualize and create reporting for almost all aspects of our business. In sales, we have been able to push visualizations to our entire sales team to keep them updated on their sales and targets.

Jason H.

"Great Product! So much we have done benefiting our business, and so much more it can still do."

What do you like best?

Can do just about anything we need for reporting, a lot of uses, very useful Info Assist plus application for our analytic users to develop their own reporting.

What do you dislike?

A little more pricey than some others, but you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great team to work with

Customization of reporting portal domains for different business units. Dash boarding, KPI scorecarding, alert reporting/monitoring, financial statements, enabled centralized and efficient metric information available to report creators and consumers getting them out of manual/inaccurate labor intensive reporting processes thru Excel and Access tools. Created one source of truth for reporting metrics.

Alessandra L.

"Director of Finance and Administrative Services"

What do you like best?

As WebFocus is a new product for us and we are in the testing phase, I am learning a lot, in just one day about InfoAssist and reporting. Looking forward to doing more testing back at work.

What do you dislike?

The labs are very fast paced. As a new user, I find myself falling behind on some of the exercises.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check it out and ask questions

Our reporting structure is going away, so WebFocus is a huge benefit to us.

I
Internal Consultant

"Starting Implementation!"

What do you like best?

We are in the early phases of implementing WebFOCUS. The most appealing things we've found is the support from the team. While they offer a good tool, is it their desire to see us succeed that makes it a great experience!

What do you dislike?

Some of the back end tools have appeared to be less intuitive and have a less modern interface. They are working on addressing this in future releases, but was a consideration when deciding on the tool.

As we are in the early stages of implementing, I can't comment on benefits that have been realized yet, but we are attempting to make information more visible, easily accessible, and ultimately more manageable for decision makers.

Steve S.

"Web Focus Is Awesome!"

What do you like best?

We use Web Focus to manipulate our financial performance data, we like how it scales as we add more clients onto our system.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the the fact that there has been no way to centrally monitor the performance of our Web Focus farm, but that appears to have been resolved with the new Performance Usage Monitor that is now available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We highly recommend Web Focus, they have worked very closely with our company to achieve the solutions that we sell to our clients.

We have been using IBI products since 1991, the support staff has been really great resolving all of our technical issues. Right now they are working on getting our application to work on the new 82 version.

Rob F.

"Product and Vendor Utopia"

What do you like best?

Information Builders is an incredible vendor to partner with. Their business intelligence offerings such as WebFOCUS, BI Portal, and their iWay suite of products provide all of the necessary components needed to build a successful BI culture within your company. Speaking of successful, IBI ensures that what they sell you works and is exactly the product that you need, not just something that you might want. Their staff is very careful not to push products that won't be beneficial to you. There are frequent touch points by the reps, but more in a relationship way than to look for the next sell.

What do you dislike?

It is still a little disappointing that Information Builders isn't a common name in the BI field due to their robust platform as well as the amazing support you get. Prior to WebFOCUS 8 IBI was lagging in the innovation area, but now is very much a contender and should be at the top of the list for any shop looking to select a BI vendor and platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Purchasing a long term platform requires not just a high performing product but also a close partnership with the vendor consisting of trust and integrity. Information Builders will give you that. They look out for your best interest and not just the continuation of their product line. They are constantly pursuing innovations in the BI field as well as honing what are currently the standards seen in competitor tools.

Over the past 8 years we have been building a culture of knowing and understanding our data and how we can use it better. Utilizing WebFOCUS we have been fairly easily been able to successfully span the breadth of use from embedded analytics in the hands of end uses to the deep dive of analysts looking to improve processes, profitability, and productivity.

ET
Executive Sponsor in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Very deep platform that is making great strides recently"

What do you like best?

The product platform is very deep and there has been no problem that our team could not solve. We have had many business critical analytics developed that have made a real difference in our business.

What do you dislike?

The self-service capabilities for non-IT users has been difficult to use and not intuitive in past version. The new versions of the products have made great strides and huge improvements in this area.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The latest versions of the product have made great strides in usability and functionality based on early preview beta versions.

We have many dozens of enterprise BI dashboards and reports that offer instant views into our operations and backoffice metrics that are used by all internal areas of our company.

Loc H.

"Review InfoAssist"

What do you like best?

InfoAssist we thought very helpful: data elements can be dragged and dropped , toolbars that let us join tables and create calculated fields and format data displays, the use of workbench to store video and documents.

What do you dislike?

It is not certainly not the most attractive layout with a tons of gray . We would love a little more color

daily production WIP reports to help managements complete their daily tasks

UF

"WebFOCUS developer since inception "

What do you like best?

It's flexibility in writing simple reports to developing full blown applications. The ability to combine completely different data sets seemlessly.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything at the moment that I dislike about the product. The thing I didn't like have been addressed in its latest version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is more than just a report writer. It is the MacGyver of reporting tools. If you can think of it, you can do it with WebFocus.

Our users requests. Users are always in need of some complex reports which they are unable to do themselves. Portals are now a big hit which frees them up to do more analysis than information gathering.

"Powerful BI toold"

What do you like best?

I like that the tool allows for quick building of portals and dashboards without regard for platform or platforms.

What do you dislike?

Their customer service is deteriorating. Their paid premium customers do not get any more service than the basic service now. They are not standing by their commitment on this end.

Trends with data analytics. Developers can be limited to even a single developer and can still get plenty done

Kamesh G.

"Information Buliders WebFocus the leader in BI"

What do you like best?

It is an enterprise tool. It has good Visualization, Self-Service Analytics, Operational BI, Predictive, and Data Integration. It's one stop shop for all your BI and Datawarehousing need. More than that you can integrate any visuals in to it easily with the new version (8201).

What do you dislike?

Still they are not in top of the Gartner chart.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You need to use right expert to implement the WebFocus BI and Analytics. Any product will fail if the implementation consultant doesn't know how to do it right.

We provide BI analytics and Self-Service reports to clients. Integrations of other technology in to WebFocus. Mainly the UI components to give rich look on their portal.

Michael H.

"Great at analytics and business process automation"

What do you like best?

This product goes beyond what the competition offers because it allows business processes to be automated and new data to be captured, augmenting data from exterior sources.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve that is harder than some of the competitors. However, the complexity also translates into a better capability to create industry leading analytic functionality.

We support clients that are using the solution for financial analytics as well as business process analytics.

Aaron B.

"WebFOCUS GURU jr"

What do you like best?

Report Caster scheduler, so I don't have to run all the reports for my developers

What do you dislike?

The number of reports that my developers create do to the ease of creation

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test others for the same cost you will find nothing better with the ease of use

We started with WebFOCUS in 2004 to prepare for the baby boom that was on the horizon. We have cut our time for process cases with the information we used from WebFOCUS

CI
Consultant in Internet

"Best BI Tool!"

What do you like best?

The ability to use the WebFocus scripting language and Metadata. Since everything is a text file, it plays easily with all tools I use from text editors to source code versioning systems.

I love that I can connect and combine data from multiple data sources of nearly any technology on the market.

It's ability to generate output in PDF, Excel and different data formats makes it very flexible. The same language can be used to generate output and be used for ETL scripting.

What do you dislike?

Managed Reporting. I prefer self service. Managed reporting eliminates much of the benefits because it's framework is too tight.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best product around.

I've spent most of my career working with WebFocus. I've never seen a problem I could not solve using the product.

"WebFOCUS with Healthcare"

What do you like best?

My developers like the tool because it is easy to use and provides a wide range of features that can be used to create robust infoapps and dashboards.

What do you dislike?

The tool requires a developer to make changes to the infoapps. Self-service is limited to what is already pre-defined in the infoapp. If a user wants additional data it has to be added by a developer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Speak with other healthcare customers to see how they are using the tool. Make sure it will meet your needed for your clinical users. Finance users are relatively easy to support but out clinical users are often looking for additional data.

We provide financial and clinical reporting for our health system. Our financial users are very happy with the data provided. The clinical users are less enthusiastic.

AA
Administrator in Airlines/Aviation

"Flexible, Highly Usable Product that allows you to create BI Applications"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of customization that is possible with the tool. There is a possibility to use Javascript, Visual Basic, HTML scripts etc. I think its very powerful whether you want to use WF as the engine or the full fledged client.

What do you dislike?

Version naming, find the product lines confusing. Should be versioned like WF8, WF9, WF10.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very strong competitor considering the release of the new 8.2 product. Becoming an easier to use web based tool that allows for ad-hoc reporting, visualizations and scheduled email distributed jobs.

Self-Service BI is huge for us, we're trying to find ways to accomplish this with different methods of WebFocus tools.

UP
User in Packaging and Containers

"Will be game changer for BI and Analytics program"

What do you like best?

Breadth of the product. Handles mobile, dashboards, report delivery, adhoc analysis, etc.

What do you dislike?

Relatively steep admin effort. The need to code whatever is slightly complicated, or risk over-developing

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you understand the Admin requirement - security setup, change management process, tuning. Also, investigate what you can do with the GUI tools as opposed to coding.

Created an executive dashboard so that we can quickly communicate KPIs to the Exec team. Automated a Price Volume Mix Analytic tool so that we can quickly assess results (revenue, profit) and root-cause business challenges. This tool also addresses budget and forecast.

Eric F.

"Innovative and Interactive WebFocus designer tool"

What do you like best?

The charts and some cool visualizations, interactive maps with tooltips was amazing

What do you dislike?

So far it is good. I havent experienced any hard stops yet.

I am new to WebFocus and BI world so it helps me in moving towards my goal of becoming a good developer. I am using WebFocus designer and AppStudio

"Webfocus Review"

What do you like best?

The interface is much easier to work with than other BI programs that I have worked with in the past. It is much easier to create a connection than others as well.

What do you dislike?

No frills. I would like to see more of a selection of web presentation tools. It would be nice to see more dashboards even though there are a lot available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Even though we failed to go-live with WebFocus, I think that it was the easiest product that we tested to implement. I feel that it would have been nice to have gone with this product over others.

Working with what programs students transfer from and to the institution

"Best reporting tool"

What do you like best?

I have been working with different tools for reporting and WebFOCUS is one of the greatest ones. I have everything I need with it. One of the best things is that there is a lot of opportunities to customize what you are doing.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of "extra" stuff that you need to pay for to have it on your current versions and not always is an option for the company that I work for.

All the reporting needs for the stores in AutoZone.

Karam R.

"BI in an Enterprise Environment"

What do you like best?

Ultra flexible BI and application framework, that can connect disparate data sources together in larger mixed environmets to support business needs.

What do you dislike?

Some issues with large version upgrades in our very large (5+ TB) Environment.

We primarily use WebFOCUS as a primary enterprise reporting solution, but it serves also a deployment platform for infoapps that our teams build.

UO
User in Oil & Energy

"Provides ability to program anything, with typical IT turnover, results in programming mess"

What do you like best?

You can program every aspect of a report - everything can be a variable.

Every line of code has possibility to controlled by this FOC_NONE keyword which can result in some clever navigation or report manipulation.

The IBI summit and Focal Point are true strengths.

The Focal Point community is very helpful, lots of expertise there and generous with their wisdom and tips n tricks.

Visiting IBI summit, you encounter other customers that have truly embraced the software and programming abilities WebFocus has to offer which I admire. I get the impression if you have a strong technical lead or architect that understand the IBI architecture and can establish good guidelines, you could have a strong product that benefits your organization...

What do you dislike?

Based on experience with WebFocus Developer Studio, it has a horrible IDE.

No syntax checking, code highlighting.

Poor integration with code control systems for versioning.

Often found myself overwriting my own report or someone else's since it has no lock mechanism.

Essentially you have something that is just using notepad.

For some people they think this is great, just give me notepad. Which is fine is you are the only programmer, once you get into a collaborative setting, the infrastructure fails to support compared to other vendors.

The sales and consulting service is average or below. A lot of disgruntled customers out there.

In my last company, people dreaded getting assigned work that dealt with WebFocus programming.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have strong guidelines for programming standards and organized programming structures.

An experienced technical lead or architect who can deep dive into the product offerings if this is truly the path you choose.

You will need outside tools or systems for code control or change management.

You can do anything with the WebFocus programming, so great power comes great responsibility.

Engage the Focal Point community, it is fantastic, can be a much better source of knowledge than the company's consultants.

Be careful with the setup, have discipline to document and understand the infrastructure.

Reporting from multiple data sources

Matt Y.

"WebFOCUS Multi-Tenant Features"

What do you like best?

WebFOCUS provides a great platform to deploy analytics to our customer base in a multi-tenant fashion. We're able to use the same instance of WebFOCUS to provide a consistent platform for customers to gain insights into their business.

What do you dislike?

I'm looking forward to WebFOCUS' new UX, which was very exciting to see at Summit.

WebFOCUS has allowed us to develop pre-packaged analytics that add value to our customers, gaining immediate views into all areas of their business.

sandra r.

"Daimler WebFocus"

What do you like best?

Ease of use with Webfocus with DB2 and SQL tables

What do you dislike?

Sometimes slow on response. Still use mainframe Focus instead of using Webfocus which is the platform that I learned in early 1990s.

Visualization of parts moving through manufacturing plant. Ease of emailing reports

AP
Administrator in Paper & Forest Products

"WebFocus is a nice tool set with many possibilities"

What do you like best?

The ability to connect to many different sources. The Infoassist and Quickdata tools help our users a lot to get their data.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools are dated compared to the industry. Portal and data discovery lag key players in the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

WebFocus is a good toolset that allows you to do a lot of reporting. The outlook with their upcoming enhancements look like they going in the right direction.

Before WebFocus we had a number of out dated reporting systems each reporting different numbers.

We were able take multiple reporting systems previously and combined them into a single platform. This has given our users consistency across the organization.

Neha C.

"WebFOCUS AppStudio"

What do you like best?

Portal designing, page designer separated made it easy to design complicated portals and lots of GUI capabilities makes designing easy

What do you dislike?

Looping is tough to do through GUI dialogue Manager

Reporting for higher leadership and complex dashboard designs with multiple visualizations/charts

Jonathan C.

"First time learning IB WebFOCUS!"

What do you like best?

What I liked best were the seminars and labs, they are very informative and inquisitive to learn. After coming here I now understand BI capabilities and the robustness of BI.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing I disliked about the summit

Recommendations to others considering the product:

more sessions on predictive analytics.

We are focusing on gathering business requirements and predictive analytics. The benefits that I have gained from the seminars are UX integration and brain storming sessions.

Denise B.

"WebFOCUS review from Michigan State Police"

What do you like best?

The CUSTOMER SERVICE is what sells for this company. Innovation is next!

What do you dislike?

They are not located in Michigan, move a sub-office to Michigan. Michigan State Police in interested in being the innovative leader in Law Enforcement technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

From prospective customers through premier status - Information Builders provides service to meet the needs, answer questions, provide solutions, recommendations, and service.

Metrics, data discovery, data performance, data integration, reporting consistency, etc!!!

"WebFOCUS and DataGen"

What do you like best?

We love the flexibility, scalbility and ease of use of WebFOCUS. As a programmer, I enjoy that I can use quite a few languages I already know, to interface with the product. IB's customer service is second to none!

What do you dislike?

To be honest, there isn't much I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

IB's commitment to excellence, customer service and moving the ball forward are amazing and they truly want to be your partner in success.

We struggled with large Delivery products to clients, and webFOCUS gave us the ability to deliver one template for 100's of clients and we were able to leverage the DB metadata to create stellar analytics.

AF
Administrator in Financial Services

"A Superior BI Solution That Appeals to All Areas of a Corporation"

What do you like best?

WebFOCUS appeals to a web developer and an individual who has little to no experience working with HTML and JavaScript. I have watched numerous developers begin with InfoAssist and gradually develop into superior developers using Application Studio.

What do you dislike?

HTML Composer's GUI seems to have some issues, particularly with the parameters and if they are loading XML.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great tool. Remember to devise a user acceptance strategy so that the user base is not intimidated by the new technology.

We have created dashboards and have changed the culture of our company from a "push" based mentality to a "pull" based.

Learn more about Information Builders WebFOCUS

Information Builders WebFOCUS Videos

Learning about Information Builders WebFOCUS?

* We monitor all Information Builders WebFOCUS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.