GitKraken Reviews & Product Details

What is GitKraken?

GitKraken is a software product for developers and dev teams. Our Git Client is a leading software tool helping developers maximize their productivity with a beatiful, intuitive GUI. Our Glo Boards for task and issue tracking integrate seamlessly with our Git Client, making it even easier to collaborate effectively with team members.

GitKraken Profile Details

GitKraken Reviews

1-48 of 48 total GitKraken reviews
Graphic Web Designer
Internet

"The best desktop client for Git protocol"

What do you like best?

One of the most interesting features of GitKraken is the possibility of doing commands "do" and "undo" directly in the source code or commits so that we can make or undo any action quickly and easily.

The application integrates perfectly in Windows 10 and the operation is very fluid both to clone repositories and to work on them while we edit or create new source code. GitKraken integrates perfectly with your GitHub, GitLab or BitBucket account so it is possible to synchronize different repositories hosted on these servers only using our email account and password.

Aesthetically the application is very nice because it uses a very updated interface that combines very well with its two themes included by default (Dark and Light), both themes are very well implemented and their colors are chosen so that the prolonged use of the application It does not bother in my eyes.

What do you dislike?

During the time that I have used the application I have not been able to find any bug or problem that I can write in this section, the application has worked very well for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use GitKraken with your main GitHub account or GitLab as only in this way you can access the content as the change history of your repository. You should also use the latest version whenever you can, since updating is very easy and the application itself shows you a warning on the left.

At work we use the application to synchronize our code with that of our Git repository hosted on GitHub, previously we used the Git client integrated in our IDE but since GitKraken has a section to review the change history much more advanced now we only use this application since it is easier to visualize the changes live through GitKraken.

Design Engineer
Design
(Myself Only)

"GitKraken great Git client with Beautiful UI"

What do you like best?

There are many Git clients currently working similarly to GitKraken but all of them have the same negative point in common and its interface is disorganized and outdated, GitKraken presents an interface that is the opposite, all the elements of the application. they are well distributed and easy to locate when the user needs them.

Technically, the application is fast in its connection to the repository, download and navigate smoothly between the files and their change records highlighting with very good colors the changes added or deleted. One of the best things about GK is the implementation of Github that has through which we can use the same account to use GitKraken so that it is not necessary to create another different account.

What do you dislike?

I do not know something negative that is annoying so I will comment on something that only happened to me once, the problem is this: On one occasion using a Java repository when using the navigation between the branches of the repository, one of the branches showed an unknown character in the local repository but that was correctly in the remote, closing and opening the application was solved.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Gitkraken if you are looking for a good git client that is stable and fast, especially if you are a user who values a good interface capable of offering dark and light themes, so I recommend you use this application that is also free.

As a programmer I like to browse through different repositories that have a lot of fork to observe their code so I can learn from them so Gitkraken can do it from my desktop without having to connect to github directly. I also use it to review my own projects on Github.

"Very useful git client"

What do you like best?

I have used for several years gitkraken and after having tried the last actulizacion I want to do a review because they have improved a lot in all this time.

Gitkraken is a git client, you can view and navigate through git repositories and work on it as if it were a local repository.

The characteristics that I liked the most:

- Cross platform support, I can use GitKraken in Windows and Linux.

- Native support for Github, gitlab and bitbucket

- The interface or UI is beautiful, after having tried several git clients, this is the only one that implements such a beautiful interface.

- Completely complemented and integrated with GitHub to perfection can use the same github account to connect to gitkraken

What do you dislike?

What I do not like is that it forces you to create an account or login with an account even if you want to use the application to navigate in a local repository where you do not need to use an external account for absolutely nothing. Also, I can not sign commits with my GPG keys.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gitkraken is a highly recommended application for any use, whether a local repository, remote on GitHub or elsewhere, you can also use the client to see the changes nothing more. The best thing is that it implements all the git protocol for free, although there is a premium version with additional features but it is totally optional.

With this application I can manage different repositories remotely, I can even add repositories that are not mine to follow their changes or simply observe their source code.

Internet

"Great tool to manage your repository"

What do you like best?

There are many things that make GitKraken one of the best customers for Git. The application allows us to link our GitHub account in a simple way so that we avoid wasting time registering a new account.

GitKraken is the only Git client that has (and I've tried many) such a nice interface and also allows you to apply different themes, I prefer the dark one but you can also choose a light one. Even the Kraken logo is beautiful.

The application integrates the Git protocol completely and also represents it graphically in an orderly way, being able to check branch, change history, merges, pull request etc ...

What do you dislike?

Sincerely I have not found anything negative in GitKraken, in the two years of use I have never found a bug and the failures that usually have this type of applications are usually in their horrible and outdated graphical interfaces, not the case of GitKraken.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using GitKraken if you use a lot of GitHub or have local repositories in your computer and you are looking for a quick way to navigate between projects and to be able to consult all the information of histories, request etc ... Besides GitKraken is free and you can connect it with GitHub, for me it is the best Git client that exists.

I needed to manage GitHub projects without having to log in directly on their website and navigate between different repositories since a lot of time is wasted, with GitKraken I can clone the repositories and all their content and histories and navigate from my desk even without internet.

Software Engineer

"GitKraken a great Git client"

What do you like best?

As part of my work I must use Git every day to upload to the cloud (github) what I have programmed. Although my IDE includes a Git client, we use GitKraken because it provides many more details about our repository such as branch, merge, rebase requests and more. GitKraken is a very light and stable client that allows you to connect to your repository using your GitHub account.

The best of GitKraken:

- The graphical interface is very nice, I have used other Git clients and most of them are very old and ugly interfaces.

- Integration with your GitHub account

- Detailed information of all your repository

- You can see the change history in your GitKraken client

- Works on both Windows and Linux

- Fully integration of Git protocol

- You can choose between two themes (Light and dark)

- Update to GitKraken PRO unlocks a lot of features like being able to use Git through a VPN

What do you dislike?

I have used GitKraken for quite some time and I have not found anything that I can consider a failure. I could say that you have a part for which you have to pay but the free version is fully functional and nobody forces you to pay for basic git features, you only pay for extra features that are not part of the git protocol.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a desktop Git client, stop looking for them and I have tried them all and there is none that overshadows GitKraken, especially the look and feel is excellent.

We needed a tool to control our merges to the repository that would allow us to see the history of changes without having to use the browser and enter GitHub, GitKraken gave us that and much more, the application is very complete.

Founder

"Fantastic Git client that makes managing development projects simple"

What do you like best?

I love the UI/UX of GitKraken - something about the darkness is pleasing, especially when trying to concentrate on many lines of code. Having used a couple of Git clients, I settled on GitKraken due to the ease of integration with GitHub and BitBucket. Making changes to my repositories and pushing them live is a doddle, even between devices. Keeping track of changes and branches is also very simple and visually pleasing.

It is also great being able to customise the layout and styles if needed.

What do you dislike?

The editor is a little basic compared to others - Atom for example. I would love the ability to launch my own editor, rather than rely on the in-built one, but this is not yet available on GitKraken. Had it been, I would have scored a perfect 10 out of 10.

I would also like a few more customisation options available - again, when compared to Atom, this does fall a little short, but it's still my preferred client.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a simple, no messing Git client that makes managing code repositories a breeze.

Being able to manage code repositories in multiple places is a must. GitKraken, whilst not quite perfect in my eyes, is a great client and allows me to do what I need to. I love being able to use GitKraken, especially when developing basic applications for Raspberry Pi - I can make changes in my repo, push them to my Pi and iron out any bugs with simplicity.

Manager Network Services

"GitKraken - a cross platform originally sourced from MIT with a beautiful GUI."

What do you like best?

Things I like best about GitKraken are numerous.

First, it is cross-platform, thanks to the incorporation of its leverage of Electron, which makes deployment on Linux, Mac, and Windows seamless with a uniform GUI between all three OS platforms.

Next, The beautiful GUI. No need to mention more about this, install it and take a look for yourself!

Drag and drop features enable pushes seamlessly, while undo and redo are a click away.

Although it doesn't integrate directly with Gitea at the moment, it does have native support for GitHub, GitLab, and even BitBucket - and also local and self-hosted remote Git repos. I haven't tried using GitKraken with Keybase repos yet, however, but free accounts at GitHub now support unlimited private repos as well.

One feature that really stands out is the nice aesthetics provided in collapsing and expanding views of branches and commits, etc., this really is a space saver in, I'll say it again, probably the most beautiful GUI, if not amongst the most elegant.

You don't have to host your repos or even connect to their remotely hosted services if you don't wish to; and for managing projects, there's the Glo product, also free, although this is remotely hosted.

What do you dislike?

Although development has accelerated with Axosoft, they've abandoned the original Open Source MIT license it was previously under. Nevertheless, the free version is rather feature complete, and a single user pro license is under $50 USD/yr.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that you're okay with the license, and understand the ramifications of allowing someone else to host or potentially have access to your repos/projects. Bear in mind that you don't have to connect to Axosoft's services, GitKraken is perfectly capable of just using your own repos, locally and remote, as well as the three major third party services currently in vogue.

Also, make sure you're okay with the license, gitKraken has come a long way from MIT and the MIT license, but the direction of development, I feel, is the right one.

Managing repos and making pull request for other open source projects is a breeze, and for your own repos, things like pull requests, changing branches, forking, cloning, are a click or a double click away with a convenient sidebar for viewing the bigger picture and drill down features by using your right-click capabilities for things other than commits, pushes, and pulls which have buttons that you merely click on.

tasks we use GitKraken for include the management of remote repos/branches as well as local, and to collaborate with Open Source projects on GitHub by other dev teams.

Principal Software Engineer
Defense & Space

"Easiest Git client I have ever used"

What do you like best?

The application is just so darn intuitive, which helps with productivity, and the beautiful design and clever branding make you want to check in your code often!

What do you dislike?

The only problem I've ever had with GitKraken is when making changes to a repository *outside* of GitKraken when that repository is currently open in GitKraken. This causes GitKraken to get hung up and the app has to be manually closed and restarted to get it going again. Adding a notification like, "Yo, we see you're touching our files, and Keif can't handle that, so we're going to have to restart. Cool?" would be better than showing a loading image infinitely.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for an easy-to-use Git client, try out GitKraken. It's updated, modern, and performs all the operations I've ever needed without having to use the command line.

GitKraken lets us easily check in our business website code and clearly shows what changed have been made.

Senior Software Engineer

"Second by second, this saves me hours of work"

What do you like best?

The UI is very easy to understand, the tree view is amazing and most operations are a click away.

You can open Pull Requests on Github, merge branches, branch off, amend commits, cherry-pick commits, solve merge conflicts with ease..

Besides the UI looks gorgeous and you can select from light and dark themes.

Plus, now it has Glo, a card/task manager tool built into it that integrates seamlessly with Github Issues.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike on GitKraken.. I'm sorry it is not possible to setup a GPG key to sign commits, and I would like to have an easier way to see all previous versions of a file. All else is just there!

This makes it easier to deal with feature branches, merging code, reordering commits etc.. all things that I knew how to do on the CLI but was always a bit afraid of doing.

With GitKraken, I feel confident thus I do things faster and safer.

Developer
Computer Games

"Easy to install and use it. Strongly recommend it "

What do you like best?

It runs natively on all famous operating systems like Windows, Mac, and Linux. Project organization is done very amazingly by GitKraken. I can manage my Repos, and organize with it easily. Github and BitBucket easy integrated and can be used without a trouble. Drag and Drop feature has made life so easy and searches fuzzy finder is very fast and amazing. It's really to easy to work with such beautiful colors and themes given by GitKraken.

What do you dislike?

The trial is only for 7 days of GitKraken pro. It should be of 15 days so New users can understand the vast features of GitKraken. For small startups of a team of 10 users, it's expensive 390$ a month for 10 users which is 39$ for 1 user per month.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's an amazing platform that increases the workflow and boosts users and encourages to work them by using amazing graphical user interface and features.

it has increased the workflow and made integrations so easy for us.

Drag and drop features and Premium features had made my team and I, productive Git user

Freelance Web Developer

"Best Git client ever."

What do you like best?

I really like and use it mostly as a visualization tool. Helps me understand project structure and the different features that are being worked on in various branches. GitKraken is my go-to whenever I'm dealing with merge conflicts since they can be a bit puzzling.

What do you dislike?

The UI can look very bloated and overwhelming at times, due to all the different features, options, buttons, etc. that GitKraken has. In a way, this is good because you can do virtually anything with GitKraken, you just need to know where to look for the option.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take your time trying to learn the UI and all that GitKraken offers. I watched a few tutorials to start off and kind of went on reading articles gradually as I used it a bit more.

We manage considerably big projects and since it's not only one, going from one project to another can be very confusing since one usually gets used to one project / git structure . We use it to manage the different project's branches and pull requests.

SDK Developer

"The most intuitive GIT UI I have ever seen!"

What do you like best?

Drag and Drop. Everything (well, many things) seems to be as simple as Drag and Drop. Move files between branches? Drag and Drop. Move tags? Drag and Drop. Rebase? Drag and Drop!

It also has a great compare and merge tools built in.

For the Pro and Enterprise version it also has GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket support.

And it's written on the Electron platform, which means it's cross platform!

EDIT:

Lately, on Linux at least, the software started making problems, like endless loading when trying to push or pull. So give it a shot, maybe it's fixed already, but for now it lowers the score.

What do you dislike?

The pricing. While its free for startups in their first year and for personal use, for every other company it has a monthly fee. In some versions it's a licence per seat.

Now don't get me wrong - the fee isn't that high considering the ease of use it brings, but still, I think it's only a matter of time until other tools will clone the great ideas GitKraken introduced to the world.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you can allow yourselves to spend the money (a yearly fee), do it. You won't regret (And if for some reason you do - it has a yearly fee subscription pricing model and you can always start with the free trial version so you can cancel at any time).

Ease of use in everything related to source control management using GIT. Plus, I think it has migration feature from other source control systems.

Diseño y Desarrollo Web
E-Learning

"Excellent tool to work with prepositories in Git"

What do you like best?

The best system for comparing version control in a project and integrating development teams to your repositories allows you to work with systems such as git flow to create sub modules to a repository and chain of independent repositories in a large project.

What do you dislike?

Actually there are few things that I do not like in this system, I would vote to improve the user interface a bit, it takes less time to load, it is a bit heavy when starting

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This allows more optimally work on version control systems, very useful for large teams, has excellent integration with Gitflow and allows you to add submodules to a large project, the learning curve is not so simple to do more complex things but still being the most complete option to work with Git.

Being able to audit large teams in large projects, improves the merging of branches, and allows to review and resolve conflicts in a project in a more efficient and professional way.

UR

"Beautiful git experience"

What do you like best?

The interface and user experience is cool.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps sometimes fails to connect to Gitlab. Not sure why though. Hoping should be fixed in near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

First of all don't forget to put dark or light theme as you prefer. Then go and authenticate. Add you favorite git provider, I use Gitlab mostly. Clone your repository anywhere you wish on your local machine and you are good to go. You won't ever have to use terminal git commands when having GitKraken opened. It's just so easy to figure out even without documentation and tutorial videos.

The thing I loved recently about GitKraken is how easily I was able to add my DigitalOcean server as a remote to my Gitlab repository and pushing some changes to it in a snap. You just have to change your upstream for the local clone of your repository to the remote that you wish to push to and you are so good to go.

Just get it, watch some official Youtube video tutorials about the features and you won't be disappointed. Oh, and it also has git flow feature in the settings, if you wish you can enable that for the repository of your choosing. It's great.

Interacting with my git repositories using GitKraken is really a breeze. I can see the chronological listing of commits, whatever those commits contain in detail and I can use quick command palette that does various things for me in a snap. A very detailed program that makes life easier when having a git repository for your programming project. Really I don't do coding without it since I discovered it.

Senior Developer
Furniture

"Unleash The...."

What do you like best?

The interface can be a bit strange at first but once you're used to it it's quick and easy to use and allows the developers to keep track on any commits going into the different branches being worked on.

The app is always being updated with new features and fixes to issues with the application.

When contacted the support team have been helpful.

Being multi-platform i can use the application on my windows machine and my macbook

The conflict tool is easy to use when we've had any merge conflicts, allowing you to easily pick the block or line of code that needs to be kept.

What do you dislike?

Have been a few releases over time that contained bugs which impacted merging branches. While this caused us issues, the support team where easily contacted and communicated with us that the bug was being looked at.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are a lot of git clients out there, but GitKraken was the only one our team could all agree on.

Before settling on GitKraken we tried a number of different git clients in the development team, GitKraken was the only one we could all agree on when it came to features, design and cool sounding name (more important than you think).

Web Developer

"Great software for use with Git and code tracking"

What do you like best?

The user interface for GitKraken is wonderful and very easy to follow. The simplicity of use to keep track of code changes, revisions, and commits is great. It makes the job much easier when working on a big project with many developers working on the software.

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike anything about the software, but sometimes I have struggled to find what I am looking for in the navigation, but nothing major at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a good piece of software to handle code tracking GitKraken will be a great benefit.

The business problems this software has helped us solve is it allows all developers to work on code for a project and not overwrite or disrupt the workflow. We are able to easily combine all our code and if their is a conflict or the merging causes an issue we can easily revert back to a working version.

Web Developer

"Fantastic version control manager with lot of extra under the hood"

What do you like best?

Easiest merging process ever. If there are merge conflicts fixing them is very easy withing the integrated GitKraken merging tool.

The tree view is very easy on the eyes, it even shows people's pictures on every action. Fantastic.

The overall design and colours in the app are great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes on large projects with many branches, the app can take a while to load.

Sometimes when performing some operations like stashing or even commit and push can take a moment and it is not clear whether the application is doing something or not.

Consumes substantial amount of resources, especially if you leave the auto-fetch interval to the default 1 minute.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GitKraken can consume a bit chunk of both memory and CPU, but it is the best Git Tool for any size of team and project complexity.

Not recommended to install on servers or productions environment for the same reason. GitKraken includes some extra stuff that are intended for development environments.

The main benefit our development team has gotten from GitKraken is having a streamlined repository management and usage process. We've reduced the amount of time consumed from the Senior Developers which usually code reviews and take care of the merging process. GitKraken has made it easier for our day to day coding. Also onboarding is so much intuitive for new team members.

In the past some members even prefered to use the Git command line for basic operations like stashing, poping, pull, merging, and sometimes the result could be confusing depending on the complexity of the project in hand. With GitKraken even on a large project we are able to easy perform the desired operations and reduced the frequency and time that we have to sit and review what we did if we cause some conflicts.

"GitKraken, strong with good graphic interface"

What do you like best?

What I like most about using GitKraken is that it is easier to use, because you do not have to memorize commands, besides seeing the result in an image is easier to process, because "an image is worth more than 1000 words".

Also, the possibility of condensing processes in a couple of clicks, saving many complicated lines.

the possibility of having comfortably stored credentials. You can manage multiple members repositories easier.

What do you dislike?

One of the points that I did not like is the lack of ease or integration that gives us when executing advanced commands. FOr the full features need the premium version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will not regret trying it, each one has their own tastes, but for me this client is in the top of Git, for its clarity of visualization of the branches, which puts it at the head of all those used so far in this field ... and also is multiplatform.

Using GitKraken, workers/developers will save time, something that favors users when it comes to testing the code. The system is known, mainly, for having a very eye-catching interface, for focusing on the speed and easy handling of Git.

With a handy button to undo operations you can review errors at the moment, which makes the workflow easier. The free version is suitable for companies with less than 20 workers or for non-profit organizations.

UF

"A great UI for Git"

What do you like best?

I really like the UI and the way the information is laid out. I can see so easily the information that I need. It is a feature rich product without being over cluttered. All the extra functionality is hidden, but easily accessible using the right mouse click or for those of you with only one mouse button on a little menu.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I cannot think of anything, it does what I need it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GitKraken comes with a Trial option. I would suggest that you download and try it and try it for more than a week. They have a good support community if you need it and support material posted on places like YouTube.

Git's command line is not that easy to use and remembering the commands is not always easy thing to do if you are not and experienced user. With this UI, you just use a mouse and point and click.

Senior Developer
Retail

"A smooth interface makes very control easy."

What do you like best?

I love the ease of being able to visualise the timeline of our branches, along with how easy it is to review and merge feature sets in and see exactly what is being changed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes GitKraken won't pick up SSH keys I have registered via the command line for different repositories. This can be rectified by using the one SSH key for GitKraken, but this is a tad annoying at times. Filtering commits works but could use some tweaking.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend it, however originally when it launched there was no costs involved.

It has allowed me to use source control with ease. This means we are able to keep our code safe and not lose work.

"Best git client I've ever used"

What do you like best?

Total ease of use. It connects with all my accounts and has built in diff viewers and merge tools that make working with git a dream.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the UI doesn't give feedback that its actually doing something under the hood. Sometimes the UI will go to an animaged "opening repo" screen and never open it - this normally happens when a file its monitoring is locked (like the .vs folder with visual studio) - gitignore these files and its fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Buy the pro version!

Far more productive now I don't have to fight with my git client.

Higher Education

"A fantastic Git client that shouldn't be free"

What do you like best?

I like the intuitive UI, and the branch tree is a thing of functional beauty. I also work on both Mac/Windows, and both clients are equivalent, no features in just one or the other, and a really active development team that are constantly working on improvements.

What do you dislike?

I've never lost any work or commits from it crashing, but I'd say that it crashes once every other week for me, which is inconvenient but not damaging.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They have an active development team who are constantly pushing fixes and new features, and it's free. There's no reason not to try it out at that price, I haven't looked back.

Moving from BitBucket to GitHub and having a beautiful, cross platform Git GUI tool is such a welcome change. We've been able to quickly and easily get revision management up and running, which improves the stability of our projects and ensures we don't have any (more) setbacks due to code loss.

Co-Owner

"Git made easy and highly visual."

What do you like best?

If you don't like the command line git commands and want a visual UI for git GitKraken is really attractive. The tree view is very clear and all merges are easy to follow. When merge conflicts arise you can easily view and mostly correct them from inside GitKraken. Even initialise and working with gitflow is made possible from within GitKraken.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes GitKraken stops working without any reason. It happens not much and it starts again without any problems after all. Apart from this AxaSoft has done a great job with GitKraken.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are using SourceTree you will like GitKraken.

I use GitKraken in combination with Visual Studio 2017. Together with gitflow it makes a great visual experience. It feels like I have more control over the complete process with this combination of development tools.

Líder de Proyecto SIAS
(10,001+ employees)

"Finally, a Git GUI that is worthy!"

What do you like best?

Installed GitKraken on Linux/Windows, and launched it for the first time. The on-boarding process is wonderful, each step of the initial settings is explained at detail. I set up the Github and Bitbucket credentials for my projects, loaded the correspondent SSH keys for my private servers, all in less than 5 minutes.

The cross plataform support is one of the best features. I cloned a repository to a Linux machine, made a few changes, staged the changes, then committed them. Finally, I made some changes on a different machine (Windows), and pushed those changes, and then pulled from my Linux machine in GitKraken, merging these changes in a breeze. So switching platform doesn’t mean switching tools or a slightly different experience.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it feels very slow and sluggish (on Windows).

And still have some missing features like:

-Interactive rebases.

-Quick find a repository.

-Spell check on messages.

-Being able to select multiple files at once to stage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are searching for a GUI to work with Git, GitKraken is the best option.

In my previous company we used subversion exclusively. It did the job and we didn’t see much point in wasting time exploring new alternatives. My current company however works exclusively with git. Git can be a bit of a learning curve to start with.

My experience with git wasn't satisfactory until I started using GitKraken. This GUI makes work with Git a pleasant experience, very easy to learn and very powerful to solve a variety of problems when working with version control (merging, commit, staging, etc).

Senior Software Engineer
E-Learning

"GitKraken provides "

What do you like best?

GitKraken makes managing git repositories really easy.

The Overall UI is very well designed and their merge resolution tool is one of the best I've ever tried.

Integration with GitHub is straightforward to setup.

I love the feature to create pull request straight from the UI.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I miss from GitKraken is a view which displays all the files of a specific repo.

History rewriting doesn't always accomplish the results you were hoping for.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GitKraken - even the free version - easily outperforms paid competition.

Its ease of use makes it perfect for junior developers or developers who switched from another versioning system.

I think it's the best solution if you like managing your repos with a UI or if you're not familiar enough to use command line.

I manage my work and personal repositories.

GitKraken makes managing repos faster and safer and you rarely have to use command line.

Higher Education

"Easy to use Git client"

What do you like best?

GitKraken is incredibly easy to use, as the layout of its user interface makes perfect sense to any newcomer.

Its very straight forward to set up and get going, requiring very little time to get it synced with my GitHub account and get to work.

The visual user interface makes figuring out what your repositories are doing, where they are and how they work very simple.

What do you dislike?

Whenever you need to 'Resolve a merge conflict' (when you're committing changes but the original code has been changed in some way), the screen presented can make it a bit hard to differentiate from old and new changes. But once you get your head around what it all means, it isn't too bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Comparing this to other git clients, I would say its a no-brainer to use Git Kraken.

Easy to use and understand, plus its free!

By using GitKraken we can easily share code between team members, making it easier to QA / check any code before its merged into our main 'Master' file.

And since we're able to check code easier, our level of quality has increased and we are implementing less bugs into our production code.

Reduced time spent on training team members on how to use a Git client, as GitKraken is so much easier to use than the others we've tried.

(Myself Only)

"Great GUI GIt interface"

What do you like best?

I like the dark theme and also that it is a great way to visualize all of my various git history. It is much easier for me to see the changes I make on commits by referencing GitKraken than to use githubs website, especially when you want to see your changes before commiting.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything in particular besides the general bloat of the application. I believe it is written in Electron which is why it's so heavy. Performance boosts would be much appreciated

I am using it as my fulltime GIT comparison tool. I have realized increased productivity bonuses from being able to visualize my git usage better.

Senior Database Administrator
(10,001+ employees)

"Comfortable git-client for team collaboration"

What do you like best?

GitKraken is cross-platform, so you do not have to force your development guys to use some specific devices for work, it supports Windows, MacOS and Linux desktops. Good repository visualization allow intuitive navigation acroos branches and history of commits. Easy resolving of merge conflicts and GitFlow support. Native integration with GitHub and BitBucket. Good for open-source and inexpensive commercial projects.

What do you dislike?

No integration with VSTS, makes Enterprise-level development tricky. Commercial version is a bit too expensive just for version control client

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Strongly recommended for small teams and individual development

Version Control for open-source projects

Full-stack Developer

"The perfect GUI for Git"

What do you like best?

The interface is cool and you can do almost any task you need with Git: commit, push, pull, merge, rebase, manage remotes,...

What do you dislike?

Maybe is a bit difficult to start using Gitkraken and some tasks are not very intuitive.

The tool to resolve conflicts could be better.

I use it to manage my repositories and it helps me to do it faster thanks to the visual interface. I can see the info of all my commits and branches in a sight.

Developer

"Git made to look beautiful"

What do you like best?

GitKraken is my number one driver for source control and offers a simple UI that packs a punch

What do you dislike?

The tool can do a lot and I think some of the more advanced option could do with an online video tutorial

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GitKraken is simple to setup and use and doesn't get in the way. It's UI is a dream to use and the product is rock solid.

Git can sometimes feel like a dark art in the console and GitKraken removes all the details and lets you just get on and code.

Response from Lauren Witte of GitKraken

Hi David! Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear GitKraken is helping you maximize your workflow productivity. I did want to ensure you were aware of our various resources. Our support site (https://support.gitkraken.com/) contains a great deal of information, including tutorial videos and cheat sheets, and our YouTube channel (http://bit.ly/2QdtSc2) has a variety of tutorial videos, as well as our Learning Git with GitKraken series (http://bit.ly/2IeXjJJ). Thanks for being a power user!

Salesforce Consultant

"The definitive Git UI"

What do you like best?

The application is feature-rich, it offers most commands used when working with projects that use Git as version control system. It's the perfect companion for advanced git users.

The UI is self explanatory and easy to use. The tree/commit panel is really good since it gives you quick and full visualisation of the project's history.

What do you dislike?

Even in the new 2.0 version that has many performance boosts, it still feels kind of slow. Commit view can be a little hard to use on projects with a lot of branches because of the font sizing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Considering other powerful options out there, my personal favourite has been SourceTree by Atlassian; however updates for that product are really sporadic. Gitkraken team updates the app in short iterations of about a month, definitely moving forward and listening to the community.

I'm a terminal fan; however sometimes can be a little challenging to accomplish certain git tasks that you do once every few weeks. Also having a good UI to see file diffs is always a plus. The paid version even has a merge conflict resolution built-in

Web Development Team Lead

"Nice Gui client for git."

What do you like best?

I like that its cross-platform application, I can use the same application on my Windows/Mac/Linux machines.

What do you dislike?

Sometime GitKraken can be a bit slow - especially when dealing with huge merges - I experienced application hang multiple times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that there is other free of charge alternatives.

Personal usage is free, but for commercial usage, you need to pay a yearly amount. It's not a huge amount - but still, you have free alternatives which aren't that bad. I didn't notice any unreplacible features that GitKraken has to offer.

I tried GitKraken for a couple of months, but eventually, I moved to other alternatives + combining git shell.

"The best got client for developers"

What do you like best?

GitKraken seems to put the user first. As a tool primarily used for developers GitKraken has put a lot of common tasks, that you normally have to manually do, in help full workflows. Key example of this is when you need to pull changes from a different branch while on another. GitKraken always you todo this by switching automatically pull the changes then putting you back on the branch you started with.

What do you dislike?

The UI looks very futuristic and some users are put off. Also some of the flows are not what some people are used to but I’m my opinion once you understand them they are beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it for a month.

Using Git in a productive way. One benefit is that you can create pull request from GitKraken and don’t need to go to your browser to start them.

"Excellent desktop Git client"

What do you like best?

It makes using Git super easy and it supports GitLab (which I use) as well as GitHub. Simple to setup integration with source control hosts. Allows easy visualization of the source control tree and the GUI makes Git a lot easier to use in general. Cloning and initialization is also super easy, as is creating new branches and many other git-related tasks.

What do you dislike?

The Pro version isn't exactly cheap, but is necessary for many of this program's most useful features. It has confused me a couple times with how to stage changes and add new files to the repository.

Makes using Git on the desktop a breeze. I don't have to worry about wrangling Git to work in my favor, GitKraken makes it effortless so I can focus on the code itself.

Junior Software Tester
Furniture

"GitKraken"

What do you like best?

I like that users can view a file’s history to see diffs for each commit, and toggle blame to see who made changes where.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes GitKraken can be a bit sluggish

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GitKraken is easy to use for any level, download the free version and give it a go

It helps that I can find out who has made changes quickly

UP

"An excellent gui to use git"

What do you like best?

The interface is amazing, and I think that is a great solution to new developers that aren't comfortable in use command line in Git.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when you use stash in command line the GitKraken don't recognize well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Glow is an incredible solution, but need to be more mature to substitute today's Kanbam tools.

When you have some conflicts, the GitKraken is an amazing solution, because the command line is not the better way to visualize and fix it.

Back-End Developer
(10,001+ employees)

"A very easy to use Git GUI app"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it can be used out of the box (by configuring the repositories) and it has almost all the features that git gives at your disposal.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be very tricky to use some functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're insecure of using Git from the command line, and want a nice perspective of your projects, use Git Kraken.

Efficiently using git.

Research Assistant

"Best Git GUI application"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to commit and branch

What do you dislike?

I forget the commands on the terminal by using this program too much

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will love it

It is easy to develop and keep track of all your work and branches with gitkraken

Research Instructor - Biostatistician
Hospital & Health Care

"GitKraken is an intuitive way to interface with GIT"

What do you like best?

The UI is very easy to use, and the online documentation is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - this is an easy to use software, especially for people who do not know command line.

I use this as a version control system, to interface with Git. It is easy for collaborating on projects and reverting to old versions of files.

"nice interface for git"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy to use. It saves time from typing in the git command prompt.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major that I dislike, just occassionally unstable in a sense that the stash and pop don't work as expected. But it could also be my repo's problem.

easy to use version control

"The perfect UI for Git"

What do you like best?

The intuitive design. It's easily usable for beginner with git.

What do you dislike?

The merging tool which can be improved. But the good thing is that you can link an external tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it and you would never regret it.

With GitKraken I can use versionning system with my team even if they are affraid of command line.

"An amazing GUI for Git"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to merge branches, fix conflicts and revert unintentional changes. The UI is lightweight and beautiful and integrates well with most development environments.

What do you dislike?

The product is a bi t expensive, if I am honest. But GitKraken releases a continuous stream of improvements throughout the year to make it worth while

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out, you won't regret it

GitKraken removes the normally steep learning curve that comes with adopting version control for new and experienced developers.