CLion Reviews & Product Details

What is CLion?

An IDE from JetBrains to develop in C and C++ on Linux, OS X and Windows. Powerful tool that takes care of the routine while you focus on the important things by helping you with smart editor, code generation, quick navigation, reliable refactorings and on-the-fly code analysis with quick fixes (including data flow analysis).

CLion Screenshots

CLion Profile Details

CLion Profile Details

Related Links
Q&A
JetBrains
Description
JetBrains builds productivity software for developers who want to focus more on what they want to accomplish, and less on mundane, repetitive tasks.
2000

NASA
Biicode
Schillings
ICE
IMC financial markets & asset management
Quantlab
Zhorachu

CLion Reviews

1-29 of 29 total CLion reviews

CLion Reviews

1-29 of 29 total CLion reviews
PhD Candidate
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Nice interface and features like most of the IntelliJ IDEs"

What do you like best?

The UI is the same as all IntelliJ IDEs, so anyone who has used them in the past will have no problem picking it up. The code completion and other features are some of the best. Unlike some IDEs, it even does a pretty reasonable job of reading template code.

What do you dislike?

It struggles with large projects, particularly ones with lots of dependencies. This usually manifests itself it length wait times to build symbols. In the most recent project I used it in, the debugger would often freeze and then crash, an issue I wasn't having with other IDEs. Additionally, it would be nice if build systems other than CMake were supported (Make, QMake etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

More work needs to be done to improve performance, particularly for projects with many files and dependencies. The debugger also seems unstable when the executable is moderately memory intensive.

Scientific computing and engineering applications.

Community Organizer + Hackathon Co-Founder

"C Development for non-90's developers"

What do you like best?

CLion makes it feel good to write in C, C++, and many other languages/frameworks available through plugins. It's easy to see a high barrier-to-entry to the C/C++/etc. ecosystem as many of these programmers feel it their duty to use ViM/Emacs and the trusty `gdb` for debugging. CLion makes that barrier-to-entry so small and easy to join. The GUI debugger is outstanding, and autocomplete helps solve struggles using even the most poorly named C libraries. The integration of other languages (and deuggers!) is extremely useful when working on a large project and makes me personally much more productive.

What do you dislike?

I wish they supported the traditional Make for building, rather than just CMake. While CMake is great once you're in, it can be tough to convert into for existing projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you can get your management to buy it, could not be more worth it for the user. The CMake requirement is easily forgotten.

Productivity is the biggest gain here. JetBrains excels at reducing the need for variable name memorization, constant type checking, and other errors that are traditionally only caught at compile-time. The IDE also integrates extremely well with many other JetBrains products, and with the JetBrains Toolbox, is extremely easy to update.

Software Developer Intern
Pharmaceuticals

"clion usability"

What do you like best?

I had previously never written c code in an IDE before and using clion has been a great experience for me. In the past I had written C code using text editors such as vim, but I chose to start a new project in clion and was quite happy with the experience created by netbeans. The ability to debug, version control, and the UI were some of the great benefits of this product.

What do you dislike?

This may be more of a personal preference than anything else, but I was not a big fan of the automatically generated makefiles that clion creates for you. I ran into problems with a project here because the autogenerated makefile was a little weird. I ended up writing my own makefile. This isn't too much of a knock against clion but it was the only problem I ran into with the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely give clion a try, great product from netbeans.

Clion is a great way to organize and document large sources of c code. The ability to version control and organize this code can be a big benefit from a business perspective.

Software Development
(10,001+ employees)

"Same great interface as IntelliJ but for C"

What do you like best?

Besides having the same look and feel as IntelliJ, the GUI debugger is just great, integrates really good with most libraries and autocomplete is just great and as other Jetbrains products it integrates git support by default and has links to download Cygwin inside CLion when you need to setup a new C environment

What do you dislike?

No Make support so you must convert Make to CMake all your projects, that's not so fun and it kind of lacks plugin support compared to other C Ides

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you get the All Products Pack form jetbrains and you already know how to use Intellij CLion is a must try software since it's so similar

Reading C and C++ code whenever the need arises

Full Stack Developer

"Great Editor for Learners"

What do you like best?

Autocomplete and suggestions for alternative loops etc. is quite good.

Support for dynamic imports.

'Ctrl' + 'Click' to move to the definition of the function.

'Ctrl' + 'alt' + 'shift' + 'N' to search for a symbol.

Moving the code up or down using 'ctrl' + 'alt' + 'UP'/'DOWN' to move some code around as it takes care of the indentation correctly.

What do you dislike?

Dynamic imports could be wrong sometimes, and the editor won't even warn you, you will need to figure out on your own. Default key bindings will give you trouble for moving to last cursor position in Gnome based linux distributions. I had to overwrite and set my own shortcuts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For newcomers learning c and c++ on CLion is a pleasant experience, compared to the other editors that I have tried.

I am learning to develop games. The library that I am using is SFM. Since SFML is for C. I started using CLion, as I knew about other jetBrains products. The IDEs made by jetBrains are great. They provide code completion, suggestions. One of the features that I like the most is 'ctrl' + 'click' to move to the definition of a fuction. Another great feature is searching for a symbol by pressing 'ctrl' + 'alt' + 'shift' + ''N'.

I hope to be a gameplay programmer one day and CLion is helping me do that.

"CLion is an excellent tool for any C++ developer."

What do you like best?

There are a number of must have features in CLion, such as auto-complete, refactoring support, built in debugger, and the new profiler feature. All of these are useful in day-to-day operations. CLion also integrates very well with CMake.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about CLion is the difficulty of getting CLion to accept a PATH configuration from a bashrc file. I have to manually launch Clion from the command line in order to get it to recognize the current path.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend CLion to anyone using CMake and C++.

I've developed robotics applications for the Robot Operating System, which require high performance and real time code. CLion helps my development time on this. by reducing the time to fix difficult problems, in particular via the usage of the debugger and the profiler which help to optimize real time code.

R&D Engineer
Research

"The intelligent IDE for C/C++"

What do you like best?

CLion presents a lot of interesting features that I found useful:

- C/C++ , Python and Swift languages support

- Cross platform build

- Good editor

- Easy setup

- CMake and directories control

- Support Git

- powerful

- Simple

What do you dislike?

I can't really find anything that i dislike. CLion is fulfilling all my needs as for now. Maybe, Would be great to have Qt, QMake and QBS support. also an issue I have is slow indexing/updating symbols when cmake files change.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend CLion for anyone who wants to build an application or project with C/C++, it's easy to use, good editor, powerful and simple..

I used CLion for C/C++ projects in my university.

One of my projects with CLion using C++ language is NFA to DFA converter : Transform Non-Deterministic Finite State Automata (NFA) to Deterministic Finite State Automata (DFA).

Application Developer
Internet

"A painful but also pleasant experience."

What do you like best?

As a frequent user of IntelliJ I find myself naturally drawn to CLion and immediately at home, all the shortcuts are similar and I don't have to perform any weird finger-yoga to reach keys. The interface is well designed and things are in the places you expect them to be, not hidden away under the one menu you can never find.

What do you dislike?

Other than autocomplete being iffy at times (sometimes suggesting :: where it shouldn't be used, fixed in newer builds) I can't find a flaw in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would personally hold out until more build systems are implemented or the CMake support is improved slightly, it can be iffy at times and JetBrains have acknowledged this.

Previously I would stick to using Visual Studio for C/++ development, but then I would have a nightmare using my projects on my laptop running Ubuntu. CLion provides you with a nice IDE that's easy to use, runs on multiple platforms and makes use of mingw and CMake which makes cross platform development a breeze.

Software Developer Internship
Animation
(Myself Only)

"Very good code completion features and debugging support"

What do you like best?

I had grown frustrated with XCode's C++ support, and was using Sublime Text + Terminal for C++ development, which constitutes more than 80% of my workload.

Code bases with heavy use of templates and complicated object hierarchies were making me a lot less productive, so I switched over to CLion mainly for its IntelliSense-like code completion features. It has worked well. Automatic code generation from method signatures are also useful. Debugger support is surprisingly good too, allowing for breakpoint placement and variable lookup that are easier to use than XCode's.

What do you dislike?

cLion only supports CMake for building applications, and that is annoying, since it forces me to continue using the Terminal for solutions that don't have CMake support. Most of the projects I work with rely on make. But even then, going back and forth from the editor to the Terminal isn't terribly bad, since it's what I had been doing with Sublime Text as well.

I also miss the Monokai theme for the editor, that happens to be present in JetBrain's other IDEs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Installing and using it is pretty straightforward, and there's a free trial available, so it's worth taking it for a spin and checking if it's well suited to the way you work.

Day to day software development, using CLion as the primary programming tool.

Technical Department and Team Member

"The best when it comes to C/C++ development"

What do you like best?

As is typical with JetBrains IDEs, this is a powerful, feature-rich development tool.

What do you dislike?

There is a slight learning curve, and setup can be difficult if never done before.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a feature-rich C/C++ development environment, look no further. This is the tool for you.

Coding in C

(Myself Only)

"Well rounded, robust development environment for c that works on Linux"

What do you like best?

The Makefile integration with auto rebuild is fantastic, it simplifies that process and makes me less prone to errors because I forgot to update or modify something there after changing it in the directory. Another great feature is the native support for git (or other version control), it makes it very nice to view changes and push new changes. Finally, it also support a vim style key binding if you wish. That was so nice for me so i didn't end up with random :w littered in my code.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it feels a little complicated to get small projects or quick programs built, it feels more geared to larger scale projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want an amazing cross platform experience for developing in c then this is the best product you're probably going to find for the job. Another great plus is that if you use other JetBrains products (which you should) the experience feels the same across the entire suite of products. So no matter if you're developing in c, Java, PHP, Ruby, javascript, and more you can feel at home in your IDE of choice.

As an aspiring security professional I am working on solving many of the security issues that exist in software. I am always striving to write good secure code and searching for security issues in existing code. CLion has made it much easier to develop in c on both my windows computers as well as my Linux machines, having that unity cross-platform is very nice and helps me to stay productive and comfortable where ever I am.

"great addition for JetBrains lovers"

What do you like best?

I use on the daily basis PyCharm and RubyMine, so CLion felt so... familiar for me. I didn't have to learn how to use the interface and all features because I knew them well. I am a CS student, I have to use many different languages - it was really exhausting when after three hours of working in PyCharm I had to switch, for example, to Eclipse to write a program in C. I am not saying that Eclipse is a bad IDE, but transition between PyCharm and Eclipse wasn't smooth.

What do I love in the CLion? Well, refactoring tools, code generation, code analysis and rich code formatting options are my favourite features. And it's cross platform! It works really well on my Fedora machine.

But the main advantage, for me, is that JetBrains offers free licenses to students. Great initiative!

What do you dislike?

The plugin repository is not so extensive as in some other IDEs. I had some problems with importing old projects to CLion, but there is a high chance that it was my fault :)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you use any other JetBrains IDE you'll love CLion. I am not sure how beginner friendly this IDE is, but I am sure that it's worth of try.

I increased my productivity. Thanks to CLion now I have unified set of IDEs - PyCharm, RubyMine and CLion. Time needed to switch from writing a site in RoR to writing a neural network in C is limited as much as it's possible.

Senior Software Developer

"If I am not in my terminal, this is what I'm using"

What do you like best?

I have used this since it was in private beta so I am probably somewhat biased but my favorite feature is pretty hard to narrow down. If I had to pick just one though, it would probably be the code hinting or refactorings (yes, they actually work for C++ unlike the Eclipse counterpart). But wait, there is more: built-in VCS, live templates, themes, TODO note tracker, massive plugin system.

What do you dislike?

The speed so far. For larger code bases, it can still freeze up and it would be nice to see some support for unit test suites soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take some time and experiment with all the features as there are many. Don't pass up the live templates as well.

We are using this to program a component for a web interfacing library that we use.

"The best IDE for C++"

What do you like best?

Easy to install. The editor follows oxygen coding standard . Helpful for the make files. has all the c compilation version . provides console , debugger line to line and version control

What do you dislike?

Initial learning is required which although is easy but takes time for a complete beginner. there is no backup facility .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best IDE for C++

I have implemented all my projects in c++ using CLION. It has huge benefits of easy project management . readability and inbuilt version maintenance.

Teaching Assistant
Higher Education

"CLion by JetBrains"

What do you like best?

The VCS feature included in the IDE allows for single click commits and updates straight from GitHub.

The Debugger is super powerful.

What do you dislike?

The occasional unresponsive auto type is a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Students get JetBrains IDEs free as long as you sign up using your ".edu" address. Experiment with the IDE before starting off the project, it'll help you familiarize yourself with cLion and save time in future.

I am currently working on creating a database management tool in c++ and CLion makes it super easy to collaborate with team members.

(10,001+ employees)

"Clion. Master of all C/ C++ IDEs"

What do you like best?

VI integration with all IDE tools given. Simply put I can use all of the skills I've learned in VIM in a powerful IDE. This is incredibly valuable. I can run any macros I'd like on my code while still having quick access to all of the available tools such as debuggers.

What do you dislike?

Not much variation in themes. At this point I'm pretty much nitpicking. Overall the extensibility of the intellij platform doesn't leave much to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for an easy to use platform with all of the tools you need for development in one place then consider CLion. It makes for a quick on boarding experience for any new hires and streamlines the development experience for existing employees.

With CLion I've been able to view my company's C++ codebase through all of the powerful tools and plugins that an intellij IDE provides. With VI integration I was able to code with the speed and flexibility of VIM while still having easy access to the debugger and build system. Instead of having 5-6 different tools open in different terminals everything comes together in one IDE to give developers the most streamlined development experience.

"Best C++ IDE for Mac"

What do you like best?

It is basically everything you need in an IDE, I struggled to set up Visual Studio on a Mac and found an amazing superior alternative in Clion, everything from the console to GitHub integration is seamless.

What do you dislike?

Not enough content/tutorials online, May be confusion out of the box.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make the change sooner rather than later.

Amazing integration with git and github.

"Strong IDE"

What do you like best?

CLion is a very strong IDE, which comes with many features and lots of functionality.

What do you dislike?

CLion can be a bit heavy as an IDE - it takes a while to learn and is a bit slow. For experienced developers, especially with other JetBrains software, it should be easy to adapt.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a very powerful IDE that helps greatly in the development process.

It helps a lot in identifying problems in the codebase and fixing issues. By doing so, it greatly improves developer productivity and workflow, which is really great!

GH
(10,001+ employees)

"Much easier developement in C"

What do you like best?

C lion is able to detect some of the early and easy typos and mistakes in C that take the most time during compilation. This is great and saves a lot of time. Another great feature is the search across all the files in all the projects and identifying the instances of a variable across all the project.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes linkinglibraries and Makefiles in Clion is harder than using the terminal.

I sometimes work on large code bases and it is important to save time. Clion is helps me save a tone of time!

"One of the Best IDE for C++ development"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use IDE.It integrates very well with version control software like Git. Student evaluation period is free

What do you dislike?

It does not have as many features as Visual Studio has, like the intellisense,though it does a pretty good job of autocompletion

C++ programming for image processing and medical image analysis

"Clion : Best IDE i have used for C++"

What do you like best?

The extensions feature that we can install to make our work easy. Also UI is best.

What do you dislike?

When we create new file, in any other folder, we have to configure the cmakelists.txt file everytime. This is the worst thing about this IDE

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Everytime, you will create new file you have to configure cmakelists.txt file. This is the worst thing about this IDE. Overall it's the best ide.

I use it to do coding.

Team Manager

"Best C/C++ IDE"

What do you like best?

Tons of built in tools, semantic coloring, auto-complete, VCS integrations and so on

What do you dislike?

It takes time to find 3rd party themes, I would like to see more built in themes

Coding in c/c++

Software developer

"C++ in a pleaseant way"

What do you like best?

Intelli IDE for c language, what more can you require?

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all. Powerfull tool including cool themes

Not wanting to die when developing solutions in C o C++ is quite a good benefit

Co-founder and CEO

"The best IDE for C++ after VIM (="

What do you like best?

Great refactor tools, GIT integration, GDB debug and all that other things jetbrains rules!

What do you dislike?

I think we need a better valgring integration.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give a chance to CLion, it will really surprise you!

CLion overcomes other IDE in practically all aspects, including a considerable boost on team productivity.

C

"An excellent IDE for cross-platform development of large C++ projects"

What do you like best?

I work in an environment where we develop large scale software projects using linux and sometimes Mac OS for deployment to supercomputer clusters. Not using windows eliminates visual studio and CLion is an excellent replacement.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see support for Scons and Makefile natively rather than being limited to CMake.

CLion has excellent code completion that speeds up development vs previous solutions such as text editors combined with terminal make.

Co-Founder

"Useful and keeps getting better"

What do you like best?

You get the familiarity and extensibility of the JetBrains family of IDE's. If you've used Android Studio before, then you will love CLion. You get line by line debugging, integration with CMake, and all these good things.

What do you dislike?

Some of the part of the IDE are still in the works. Does not feel as smooth or well thought out as Visual Studio at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is getting better and better!

Development IDE

"I hate setting it up but still I like the IDE"

What do you like best?

Same style as other JetBrains IDEs, easy to work with

What do you dislike?

Setting up the IDE was incredibly hard for the first time (however, that could have been fixed during last updates); Auto-correction for code works not that good comparing to Java

Coding; I love that IDE design is similar to other IDEs

"Pretty good"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to easily use cmake to build everything

What do you dislike?

It’s pretty good, I would like the bottom panel to be better at switching between terminal and debug

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s a good alternative to visual studio too

Easy way to edit c files

"Best c/c++ IDE"

What do you like best?

I use this product to develop and debug C/C++ codes

What do you dislike?

Pricing is quite annoying, However it is free for students

Coding with ease, semantic coloring and auto complete helps a lot

CLion Pricing