AppColl Reviews & Product Details

AppColl Overview

What is AppColl?

AppColl offers an easy-to-use, cloud-based patent & trademark management system to enhance productivity through collaborative automation tools. We help patent firms and multi-national corporations create and file better patents more cost-effectively. AppColl Prosecution Manager- A cloud-based Intellectual Property Management product designed to significantly increase productivity while reducing both the costs and risks of running a patent firm or corporate IP group. Manage patents/trademarks and copyrights with ease. https://www.appcoll.com/products/prosecution-manager/ AppColl Invention Manager- A tool that allows you to create and manage a well-defined process from when an inventor submits an invention disclosure through the various stages of feedback, committee voting, scoring and signoff to patent application filing. https://www.appcoll.com/products/invention-manager/ Demo: AppColl.com/product-demo/ Free Trial: AppColl.com/free-trial/ Sales: sales@appcoll.com

AppColl Details

AppColl Prosecution Manager is a cloud-based IP management product designed to significantly increase productivity while reducing both the costs and risks of running a small patent firm or corporate IP group.

AppColl
2009
Menlo Park, CA
@AppColl
50 Twitter followers

AppColl Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the AppColl community
Have you used AppColl before?

AppColl Reviews

Showing 29 AppColl reviews
Already have AppColl?
UL
What do you like best?

AppColl is cloud-based. Accordingly, I can login and utilize AppColl anywhere I have internet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The timer function is atrocious and non-functional. It measures only in tenths of an hour rather than tracking actual minutes/seconds and then converting to tenths of an hour after completing the timed task. Worse, pausing the timer forces rounding to the nearest tenth of an hour, inaccurately adding 0-6 minutes or subtracting 0-6 minutes from the timer. So if you pause and restart frequently, while the adding and subtracting time could average out over the long term, the timer could be grossly inaccurate for any particular matter. A single client with a single matter could be grossly underbilled or grossly overbilled using the AppColl timer. If you are looking to use a timer to record your billable work, and you want to be confident the timer records time accurately, I recommend avoiding AppColl. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We moved to AppColl because it is cloud-based. We are highly disappointed after realizing how the timer functions. It does not function as advertised. AppColl appears to have no desire to improve the timer either. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Mike O'Berto of AppColl

Hi there. We wanted to clarify that you can indeed start and stop billing timers without accruing .1 hours for each pause. It sounds like you may have your account set to automatically round billing timers. However, the default does not pad any time to the timer. You can easily remove the rounding function from Settings. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have additional questions.

AppColl

What do you like best?

AppColl data belongs to the user. The data can be downloaded and manipulated in many useful ways. Further, data from the USPTO can be imported directly into AppColl, avoiding the tedium and and errors associated with data entry. The billing system is very easy to use and produces invoices in PDF or in formats that can be uploaded into client billing systems. AppColl's customer support people respond to questions on the same day, usually within minutes of submitting the question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have too much to say here. There are some reports from the billing system that I had to work hard (writing database queries) to squeeze out of the AppColl data, but that had more to do with the peculiarity of what the client wanted than what AppColl provided. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Embrace the idea of downloading data from the USPTO into AppColl rather than manually entering data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use AppColl for docketing US and PCT patent matters and for billing. AppColl does the standard docketing tasks reliably and in a easily understood way. The docketing system allows easy and repeatable generation of form letters and emails using a mail merge approach. In addition, the docketing system can be used to automatically fill in complicated USPTO forms, again avoiding the tedium and errors that usually accompany filling in such forms.

The billing system is very easy to use. Like all AppColl data, each act performed with the data can be undone by deleting the act. For example, if you accidentally enter an incorrect billing item, you can just delete the item. Similarly, if you create and invoice with the wrong billing items, you can delete the invoice and the billing items will all be available for invoicing again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IP Systems Administrator
Law Practice
What do you like best?

AppColl's Support is wonderful! The ability to validate the data with the USPTO & Espacenet. Letter generation with the valid data makes mistakes a thing of the past. Importing and updating massive changes throughout the database with ease and speed. Saving time with automatically generating and sending the IP Staff dockets at a set time. Modification of tasks accordingly to the firms practice. The list is too long. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far, there hasn't been anything I have disliked. There is so much room for so many activities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have your tasks and reminders (if needed) known and set the tasks in AppColl prior to uploading the data. Know what your firm expects the software to do and programming accordingly. Ask support if you have any questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of Docketing dates, validating data with USPTO and Espacenet. Generating form letters with correct data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have been using Appcoll since 2014, when my firm had outgrown a homemade docketing solution. Since then, Appcoll has become a key tool to help my firm grow efficiently.

One of the best features is its automatic import of USPTO PAIR data through XML files. It saves time, but maybe even more importantly it serves as a quality control tool. Appcoll marks any discrepancies between USPTO data and its internal data. I have found spelling mistakes between USPTO filing receipts and my docket that way before, which I would not have otherwise.

Over the years I have customized Appcoll tasks to automate, as much as possible, recurring task. Reporting a filing receipt has become a matter of just a few clicks - and the client receives an automatically generated email with the receipt attached. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In short: There is nothing I really dislike about Appcoll. Yes, there have been a few bugs in the application at times, but the Appcoll team has always been responsive and fixed those when alerted to them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Appcoll is an integral part of managing all aspects of my firm's activities. As you would expect from a docketing system it keeps track of applications and related tasks. Beyond that, I use it as much as possible to also replace the need for an assistant: Appcoll prepares reminder emails that I glance over and forward to clients. It prepares pretty much all of my forms for filing new applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal and Founder
Law Practice
What do you like best?

The system is so user friendly and intuitive that training isn't really required. Also, it's efficient to have all our information from docket tasks to fileroom to form email messages to invoicing all in one place. Whenever we ask for an additional feature or for assistance, the response from AppColl is surprising fast and thorough. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I've asked them to change that hasn't been addresses already. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the trial and you won't turn back. Also, AppColl will assist with your docket transfer, so the transferring process is much easier than expected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use AppColl for everything. We even open tasks to assist with workflow management. For example, (i) task ownership may be transferred between attorneys when one attorney drafts an app and another needs to review it or (ii) an attorney may open a paralegal task for a document to be prepared for review by a certain date. We also use docket lists for weekly meetings to review workflow, workload and discuss client challenges. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that the 7 modules (Tasks, Matters, Prior Art, Files, Billing, Reports and Contacts) use the same general layout and functionality. Therefore, the same general processes (with a few exceptions) can be applied when using filters, creating reports, accessing info and uploading information. Also, I like the ability to customize default tasks and create custom tasks to remind the staff and attorneys about procedures that can be easily forgotten. One of the best things is the extremely prompt and thorough assistance from the Appcoll's customer support. Once, I wanted to filter for a series of conditions that wasn't possible, so appcoll support figured out an Excel formula to create a database query. They use creative problem solving to make my job easier. Also, new features are frequently added to fix bugs or respond to our requests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about AppColl. The only critical comment I have is that invoice module is the least intuitive module. However, once I took the time to learn it well, it is easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I chose AppColl because of the features to increase the support staff’s efficiency such as daily USPTO e-office actions which automatically trigger deadline tasks and the Prior Art module to create IDSes in related applications, etc. We also wanted to provide additional aids to the attorneys such as using timers to keep track of billable hours in real time, receiving an email report of their to-do list, etc. Ultimately, AppColl has enhanced our accuracy in invoicing the attorney’s billable hours. It has allowed us to improve our invoice process by connecting the tasks completed with billing items on the invoice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Simplicity, flexibility, ease of use and learning, various features that allow us to provide useful information to clients as well as internal resources. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The ability to link with our document storage (e.g., OneDrive) would be nice, but the system is very close to perfect as it is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Having used multiple IPM systems in the past, AppColl is the perfect one for us from multiple aspects. We would (and do) recommend to anyone. This is a hidden gem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use AppColl mainly for docketing, but also for reviewing status of cases, generating various reports on matters and tasks, generally managing our workload. The system is very easy to learn and to use. It is extremely easy to customize and fit to needs of individuals in the firm, as well as, clients. Automation aspects save us tremendous amount of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

When I have an issue, the response is fast, personable, and effective. I've gotten prompt attention even outside business hours. We are a small office with a very complex client structure and unique needs; AppColl is flexible enough to make this work well, even at our small scale, and at a reasonable price. They are continually working to add useful features and to keep pace with PTO changes. I liked AppColl when we started using it, and I love it now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There used to be some inefficiencies in using the system, but AppColl has both responded to our requests and innovated on their own to add useful features, so we have nothing to mention here. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I particularly encourage small firms that have no IT department to try AppColl because they are very supportive with both implementation and use. The more you understand how Access-type database systems work, the easier it is to implement and manipulate AppColl but that knowledge is not necessary for success, and that's the beauty of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accuracy, organization, and efficiency are our main objectives. AppColl has helped us maximize all three. We can efficiently and effectively manage docketing of deadlines. IDS management is superb, saving us time and grief. Client letter and document creation is efficient and accurate. We have even finagled a way to create templates to use for EPAS (assignment) filings, which ensures accuracy while saving time. We can use our time to create and deliver a better product to our clients rather than wrestle with tedious clerical tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease of use, breadth of features that make my job more efficient, responsiveness of the support team when I have a question or concern and the ability to setup my own task types to address my companies individual needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My schedule is so full that I lack time to keep up to date with all the new improvements and features available to me that would free up more of my time and that of my staff! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this program. I did trials on three other IP software programs and AppColl was the easiest to implement and understand and priced quite significantly below their competitors. The only reason it took us more than a few days to go live was my lack of time to make it happen.comments below. I do not at this time have access to the actual figures requested below. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our business is deadline intensive based on communications from the US Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices and AppColl helps to calculate, track and alert my staff of upcoming deadlines at a frequency that I establish. The result is far greater efficiency and accuracy so critical to the legal field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Patent Attorney
Law Practice
What do you like best?

I love AppColl. I like that it's web-based so I can access it anywhere without horsing around with some antiquated VPN system. I like that it integrates with the USPTO's website to automatically download status updates for trademark matters, and now also you can manually instruct it to update patent matters from Private Pair once you've uploaded your credentials. I love that you can customize tasks and have automated emails be sent once specific events have occurred, or tasks have been created or closed. Simply put, this software allows me to run my practice without any administrative help because I have it set up to automatically generate all of my routine reminder letters/emails, as well as all of the template letters/emails that go out to clients. I also really like the Invoice module, which I use for all of my billing. I have been using this software for at least six years, and it has only gotten better with each update they put through. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

From time to time I have come across bugs in the software. That being said, this happens less and less often, and they always strive to have it fixed as soon as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AppColl is the single most important piece of software that I use on a daily basis. It handles my matter management, docketing, billing, and even automatically generates template emails and letters for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Attorney
Law Practice
What do you like best?

AppColl provides a very intuitive system with excellent help topics, learning modules, and accessible people to talk to if you have any questions. The billing module and timers help me efficiently track time, and invoice generation is very easy. The system also includes the ability to store references for IDS submissions, and generate USPTO forms from data entered into the system, which reduces risk of error. This is an overall exceptional product that takes care of all of my docketing and billing needs. I have already recommended it to several colleagues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In 5 years use, I haven't found anything that I dislike. If I have had any issue or question, it is immediately resolved or answered. AppColl personnel are friendly and knowledgeable. I have only had the system go offline briefly ONCE in 5 years, and I use this product every day in my practice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Exceptional product, with very accessible support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helps me streamline my docketing and information management; allows me to create USPTO forms directly from data in my records; very easily updated through USPTO and European systems; bililng module helps me efficiently track my time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
Law Practice
What do you like best?

Their task module and email notifications are amazing. I also love their invoicing module. The whole platform is perfect for an IP law firm. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - I love the AppColl platform!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend AppColl IPM. It's truly the best system we've used and they are constantly adding or updating features to make it better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AppColl helps us manage all of our IP matters and docket lists. We really benefit from using AppColl to streamline our work and have everything in one place - docket lists, references, documents, invoices, contact information. Their customer support is very responsive and great to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal
Law Practice
What do you like best?

AppColl does a great job of pulling together a number of things: generation of actions based on templates; auto generation of emails; auto notification based on USPTO updates; basic docketing of patent and trademark items; tracking of prior art on IDS; central repository for storing files; task generation and tracking. In addition to all of that, AppColl provides such services in a very financially prudent price structure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like many startup companies, there is an often evolving framework of improvements. Such is the case with AppColl. However, even in view of such improvements, AppColl continues to maintain a very steady foundation of base features. Such improvements are simply that - improvements on an already great foundation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

At the price, the features cannot be beat. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When using AppColl on behalf of the IP Clinic I manage, AppColl allows me with tools that take the place of a paralegal assistant, including docketing matters, tracking matters, creating reports, assigning tasks, etc. The software system allows me to manage a wide group of individuals in a very efficient and effective manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AL
What do you like best?

Support and tutorials are unparalleled. It's easy to use the database itself, but if there is ever a question, the answer can usually be found in the FAQs or tutorial videos, and if it can't be resolved, it's easy to send it to AppColl support for an answer. They are quick in responding and thorough. The ease of use of the database, too, is an advantage. It calculates dates appropriately and creating custom templates to run and generate dates is easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Currently I'm unable to create custom headings for my reports, which would save a bit of time, but it's not a deal-breaker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Of all docketing software I've used, AppColl is the most robust and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a database that does it all. Other databases are lacking in many things, but AppColl covers IDS cross-citing, billing, case linking, reports, and of course, docketing. AppColl has a great support staff that regularly puts out free tutorial videos and answers questions, as well as maintains a support database where you can search for your issue or question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Docket and due date management, as well as IDS cross-citing. AppColl offers robust modules for these things, as well as the ability to store documents/cited references in the database itself. Also, custom reports for attorneys. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Patent Attorney - Owner
Law Practice
What do you like best?

Easy to use. Automatically calculates the due date for everything required. Love the TDSR update feature. Love the form generator too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would love an app for my phone. the task list is sometimes unwieldy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

While 90% of my billing is flat fee, I use the timer for those clients that are billed hourly. My malpractice carrier would not cover me without an electronic docketing system, so that is the first business problem solved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Foreign Filing Patent Paralegal
What do you like best?

- cloud based

- pulls information from USPTO PAIR

- can link cases together so that Office Actions show up for IDS purposes

- The ease of creating IDS'

- The ease of using filters to create customized spreadsheets/reports Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- Office Action tasks need to be marked as "Missed" in order for the subsequent task to show up; and if it is not marked as missed, the entire application could go abandoned by failure to respond to an Office Action

- I have not been able to figure out a way to create my own tasks to add to the Drop down menu of pre-created tasks

- I cannot customize some of the pre-set "Reports" that were created

- I cannot re-create an IDS once it has been created once because the "Create IDS" button disappears completely

- I cannot customize the task Drop Down menu in the Billing section to add in the descriptions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are trying to solve the problem of docketing our patent prosecution matters. I've realized that this is an okay application for docketing, but not the best one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Intellectual Property Case Manager
Legal Services
What do you like best?

I love the ease of using the software and that technical support has always gotten back to me quickly. They have also welcomed my suggests to help with improving the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that not all USPTO forms are available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The need for docketing is being solved. The benefits realized are being able to implement processes with the use of AppColl. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

The best features of AppColl are the ability to generate forms and documents that are pre-populated with the appropriate information for a matter, thereby eliminating the risk of human error data entry in the form creation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are two things I dislike. One, the reporting functions related to attorney billing, attorney collections, A/R, and other finance aspects are limited and not very user friendly. Two, we cannot really utilize multiple different customer numbers in form creation for different clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main business problem we have solved is provided a functional docketing system that maintains each of our docket, prior art, and billing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to include EVERYTHING you need for the maintenance and review of patent applications, issued patents, trademarks and copyrights. The ability to adjust the docketing to our particular practice was easy and extremely useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not really anything about it is unsatisfactory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a better grasp on our patent, trademark and copyright docketing needs. The platform is easy to learn and easy to update. We have had better luck in maintaining our deadlines. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
Law Practice
What do you like best?

AppColl is a feature-rich, highly customizable, no-nonsense docketing platform that just works. The support—both when an issue comes up and training—is top-notch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's not the prettiest software out there, but docketing doesn't need to be pretty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Reliable docketing, automated preparation of forms and client reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and allows to perform many tasks within the same program Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the way it allows to prepare reporting letters. I wish it was less convoluted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can docket my deadlines, fill up USPTO forms and prepare the invoices using the same program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Patent Attorney, President
Law Practice
What do you like best?

I like how scalable it is to the needs of my business and it’s technically supported well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were warning pop ups that would indicate the thing your about to do can’t be undone etc. For example, merging contacts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it for patent and trademark docketing, reports, and billing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EL
What do you like best?

- Autodocketing of US actions

- USPTO form autofilling

- form letters

- billing module Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind. It is top notch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely try before you commit but it's great. Support is excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is the hub of my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use, makes PTO forms (ADS, IDS, etc.) easy to deal with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish foreign (non-US) deadlines were dealt with better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Foreign (non-US) patent docketing would be great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Very solid US patent docketing system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

Software knows and automatically dockets all of the relevant patent and trademark deadlines so I do not have to! Customer service is very responsive, usually within a couple hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Invoicing is very clumsy, steep learning curve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manage my patent and trademark docket, invoicing, collections, tracking time spent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.