WP Engine Reviews & Product Details

WP Engine Overview

What is WP Engine?

WP Engine is the WordPress Digital Experience Platform that gives companies of all sizes the agility, performance, intelligence, and integrations they need to drive their business forward faster. WP Engine’s combination of tech innovation and an award-winning team of WordPress experts are trusted by more than 120,000 customers across 150 countries. The company’s premium managed hosting platform provides the performance and reliability required by the biggest brands in the world, while remaining affordable and intuitive. Founded in 2010, WP Engine is headquartered in Austin, Texas, and has offices in Brisbane, Australia; Limerick, Ireland; London, England; Omaha, Nebraska; San Antonio, Texas and San Francisco, Calif.

WP Engine Details

Hassle-Free WordPress Hosting. WP Engine Offers the Best Fully-Managed WordPress Hosting Platform

WP Engine
2010
Austin, TX
@wpengine

WP Engine Videos

WP Engine Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the WP Engine community
Have you used WP Engine before?

WP Engine Reviews

Showing 140 WP Engine reviews
Already have WP Engine?
What do you like best?

WPEngine has the most awesome support staff - they always resolve the question or issue and it does not matter what time of day, I get the same great support. WPEngine has all the tools you need - staging and development sites, access to your database with phpMyAdmin (how can hosting companies not offer that -- but they do!) The process to migrate a site is dead simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some people complain about the costs but not me! The price you pay for hosting is more than made up by savings for developers needed to resolve hosting issues -- because you do not have any hosting issues! No unexplained 503 errors, no hosting company jumping in behind your back and blocking users. Even when you exceed your storage allotment, they work with you instead of shutting your site off. ALL of these issues, I have with other hosting companies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

WP Engine has a lot of staff -- many times more staff than some of the other companies doing WordPress hosting. Whether my site needs are a single site or I am working with 25+ sites, WP Engine is flawless for running fast and secure WordPress sites. They offer tons of support but do not prevent you from running your sites the way your business requires. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Multiple environments mean I can test and develop without impacting my sites in production. I moved several sites from a VPS hosting situation where high-dollar developers where needed to address VPS issues -- often issues not in our control. Nothing like that with WP Engine. They have automated processes to use a CDN for image delivery -- critical for the businesses I support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Mean Stack Developer
What do you like best?

We have managed to get increased revenue with an enhanced audience across all our social channels. I can not resist but say that this product has been the best choice that we have made since we started our business. It has given us all control over our security management by allowing us to constantly monitor our security preferences to eliminate any potential risks. We benefit mostly by using a variety of WP plug-ins. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Its prices could be unaffordable for some small businesses. It sometimes is not so efficient with notifications to all of our team members and sometimes we get delayed emails. But I do not consider these minor issues as a setback for this amazing platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I believe that I have chosen the best marketing companion for me and my marketing team. It has allowed us a robust environment of speedy hosting with perfect hosting tools pane which is always getting more and more improved. We are at flexibility to manage and scale our hosting capabilities to comply with the growth in our web traffic. Our system never goes low on system resources because of its built-in caching feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Digital Transformation
What do you like best?

I love the integration WP Engine has with Wordpress. Every time I go to make a plugin or theme update it reminds/asks me if I want to backup first. This helps me make time-critical updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not often, but I have occasionally had to wait in a short queue waiting for a support member to handle my inquiry. When they have assisted me, they were always great and resolved my questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

WP Engine allows to schedule automatic backups and take manual ones whenever necessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administration
What do you like best?

The hoster offers us very many options and features to customize the webspace. It is very optimized for our CMS and also offers automatic installation. Updates can be saved and done automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The SSL certificate has given us problems before - we then reset all DNS settings with support and now everything works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The webhoster offers us the possibility to present our homepage well. We have done a speed check and with this new hoster we reach 70 points for mobile use and almost 100 points for desktop view. It doesn't get much better than that. The prices are also very good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EC
What do you like best?

I originally liked the idea of shared hosting designed for wordpress, and was comparing WPEngine with MediaTemple vs self-hosting for a simple WP website with not that much traffic. Decided to go with WPengine considering all the praise. Now regretting it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The offering is horrible. I started having issues on day 1 (just while signing up) with their authentication provider (auth0), and I couldn't sign up. When I finally was able to sign up, we started building our website from scratch (no migration). After about a month, whilst we are ready to move to production, the "Copy Environment" doesn't work, meaning we can't go from prod to staging or staging to prod.

* THE DOWNTIME

Today (Aug 26th 2020), we've been having 502 gateway error problems. When I called their customer support, their response is (verbatim) “it looks like the server restarted itself a while ago, and the load is a little too high right now”, “you have a noisy neighbor and they are taking care of this right now”.

It looks like I bought a $2 shared host from lowendtalk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trying to get away from self-hosting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CTO
AP
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Ease of signup. The backend is very easy to use, even if you're not tech-savvy. The server uptime is amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sales folks can be a bit pushy at first, but they are very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend WPEngine. We have been very happy with their customer service, hosting, and backend software. Migrating the site was easy and the setup was a breeze. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We switched hosts to WPEngine as our old web host was having up-time issues and was unable or unwilling to resolve the issue. WPEngine also offers more hands-on service tailored to WordPress which was important to us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

On time support to resolve live site issues Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We don't have fully control for the servers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All WP technical problem solved with WP-ENGINE team and it's a fastest solution for WP sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Fast front-end site deliver-ability out of the box.

CDN setup and security done for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A few months of less 99.9% uptime. Downtime occured during peak hours with ads running.

Ongoing support doesn't monitor mysql uptime or website for errors and plead ignorance in multiple cases.

Slow backend wordpress pages. Painfully long times to update website pages.

Had to use Cloudflare to get the site to have redundancy.

Pushy salespeople to move you to "dedicated server" which isn't actually dedicated, just the core virtualization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fast CDN website hosting. No maintenance required. Security upgrades, updates and plugin security holes taken care of. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Not much at all unfortunately - they charge like a wounded bull for what? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Terrible customer service. Broken promises to contact me over and over and over again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Not much at all really. I guess thats why I'm writing this review. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Development Manager
What do you like best?

Customer service is phenomenal. Functionality is broad but can be confusing at times. The customer service team is responsive and makes things very clear. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes functionality is confusing/complicated. If you know what you're doing, this allows you tons of control over your site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving website management issues with WP Engine, particularly rebuilding and hosing issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Strategist
What do you like best?

WP Engine keeps their web hosting service simple and allows our WordPress websites to load quickly since the hosting environment is designed for WordPress. The account tools are easy to use and mostly self-explanatory in nature. We can update our core WordPress files and plugins through the WP Engine system. The pricing is good for all of the features and enhanced hosting performance that we get. The customer support is also very helpful and pleasant to communicate with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't complain about a whole lot with WP Engine, but I think it would be great if there were more built-in visitor analytics in our standard account features. I think that some of the analytics regarding site performance aren't really that useful for us from a marketing and user analytics standpoint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Most basic hosting plans can usually host WordPress websites, but I'd suggest using a web host that is geared specifically for WordPress like WP Engine to give your website visitors the best, or at least a highly optimized, experience when viewing your website content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

WP Engine gives our company an optimized web hosting environment for our websites that reduces the amount of time commitments we need for account management and maintenance. Our web pages load quickly most of the time, which I think maximizes the website visitor experience and leads to conversions in sales or increases in form sign ups or service inquiries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Product Marketing
What do you like best?

I am very pleased that the technical support is 24 hours a day attentive to the requests presented by users, and at the same time to guide you while you handle the tool, it is an extremely important factor that not all tools have. This tool will provide you with backup and backup copies of your clients' websites so as not to lose any relevant information for the organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be ideal for the tool to send notifications to the email of the users to know the release of the main updates of the tool, so that the user immediately devotes himself to update and to know his new options and versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

WP Engine is a recommended tool for all organizations, whether large or small, since the price becomes quite accessible and competitive for small businesses depending on the staff they work on. WP Engine allows people to focus on content creation and not site maintenance. It gives you reliable and secure security through automatic daily backups. Your backup system will not fail, truly recommended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use WP Engine in the organization to work together with WordPress.org, these two tools are responsible for working on the management of our websites and blogs for our customers. We use WP Engine to host and support all our websites, it provides reliability and security to safeguard all the information that is handled regarding the websites. It is responsible for managing the backup copies of our clients' sites. The ability of WP Engine to create and organize sites easily and transfer data makes it an ideal and powerful tool for our organization, its use in the organization is vital. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Producer
What do you like best?

I think the ease-of-use is one of the best things about WP Engine. We can get our WordPress websites imported rather quickly and also create new websites from scratch with the WP Engine installation and management tools. Making updates to our WordPress core files is more streamlined in the WP Engine system compared to updating the software through package downloads. I like that we can get regular updates of activity regarding the use and security of our account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that is not as good as standard hosting plans is the fact that the pricing for WP Engine is much higher than many of the basic level plans. For some WordPress installations that don't require lots of plugins or complex programming, I think that the page load differences aren't going to be that much improved in WP Engine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

WP Engine can save you lots of time and effort from the maintenance involved with WordPress website installations. You don't have to mess around much with technical programming or any other complicated tasks and maintenance. You may be able to see dramatic improvements in page load speeds compared to standard web hosting, so that's a big reason I would recommend using them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

WP Engine makes it easy for us to install and maintain our WordPress websites. We run lots of important websites for business through WP Engine and need to make sure that they are up and running and are performing as quick to load for visitors as possible. The uptime for WP Engine has been excellent and we often get great page loading speeds. We can also get extended metrics that allow us to analyze the effectiveness of our web page designs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Media Specialist
What do you like best?

When I tried loading websites at other hosting accounts, they tended to not load WordPress pages as efficiently. WP Engine is great since the structure is designed especially for WordPress installations. We can also get insightful data on visitor activity and the performance of our pages. We often have to install plug-ins to fulfill the design specifications that we have for our websites and WP Engine gives us a platform to be able to download and activate plugins more efficiently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Though WP Engine has been super for WordPress installations, it isn't really as much of an open-ended environment for more advanced design and development needs. It is somewhat rigid in terms of the way we can add on features to our hosting account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Many popular web hosting companies nowadays have a WordPress specific hosting package and you may want to check those out if you already have a hosting plan with them. However, I think WP Engine is one of the more efficient companies to go with because they're dedicated more strictly to WordPress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

WP Engine has been a great way for us to get faster page loading speeds and be able to update our WordPress extensions and security features more effortlessly. When we don't use a WordPress hosting package like WP Engine, we often have to deal with more malware and coding bugs. WP Engine has reduced the amount of malware attacks we've had on the whole. We can make basic design updates more efficiently and make updates to the content in less time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

I love how easy and simple WP Engine is to use. They have so many useful tools that they offer like automatic backups and instant recovery from a backup that just makes this a must use web hosting client for people using wordpress sites. They also have a really solution for creating and testing changes on a staging site so you dont have to push major updates to your main site which could cause problems. They're servers and settings are optimized for Wordpress so you wont have any issues with that. They're online support is very helpful and fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The service is going to be a little pricier than your generic web hosting plans like godaddy but you'll have way less headaches than dealing with other hosts like that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having the staging site has been great for testing major site updates. I love the auto updates of the WordPress version for our sites and how it checks to make sure that the updates won't adversely affect your site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President & Founder
What do you like best?

We used to use Hostgater, which was a nightmare due to very poor support and at one point they even shut down our site due to some technical issue.

Moved to WP Engine and it's been an awesome experience, Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only one bad experience when a new support person answered on a weekend. Even that wasn't very bad! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

By far the most outstanding, knowledgeable and available technical support I've ever rec'd from a marketing platform.

If you're a very small business like us, with very limited technical knowledge of Wordpress and webhosting, etc. you can't go wrong with WP Engine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Website performance, reliability, and super strong technical support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Producer
What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of WP Engine. I don't need to worry about upgrades, patches, security issues, performance, DR, and time-consuming administrative things like that. It is all taken care for more by WP Engine. I can focus on delivering sites that perform for my customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

User account management can be a little quirky as you have accounts inside of your WordPress instances and a second set of accounts in WP Engine. Also, installing and updating custom SSL certificates is not automated on their site and requires opening a support ticket. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that you should't hesitate to go with WP Engine if you are looking for a quality hosting solution. WordPress is a terribly complex piece of software. Generic hosting providers like GoDaddy just do the install and then leave the rest to you. WP Engine sticks with you throughout the lifecycle of your site. Also, self-hosting WordPress is a nightmare unless you have dedicated staff for it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have enjoyed the fact that WP Engine is very easy to use and the dashboard is very user friendly. We can do everything from the dashboard such as setup SSL, create SFTP users, CDN, cache, domain mapping, setup staging, etc. It has very good chat support, they are always available for our help. The WP Engine team can take care of our websites. They email us every day regarding the vulnerabilities of plugins. They can take care of WordPress updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Service technician
What do you like best?

The user-friendly interface and the faster loading times are one of the best things I like about WP Engine. Through the WP Engine servers, my WordPress website runs quickly and smoothly. The support team is very knowledgeable, and I always get instant feedback whenever I have technical issues. One can easily contact them through their live chat. WP Engine allows me to see live traffic on my website and account data and updates are done automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Their prices are on the higher side. They also have a limitation on the number of websites I can connect to my account. Similar hosting companies offer an unlimited number of websites under one account at the same pricing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend WP Engine if you want to host and manage WordPress websites in one place. It is ideal for WordPress, and your website will have faster-loading pages. There are different hosting plans to choose according to your budget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a solution that could provide backups, automated updates, and secure hosting services, and I found WP Engine. WP Engine does most of the maintenance work for my website and has freed up a lot of time, which I use to concentrate on other parts of my business. The marketing department has scaled up with hosting services from WP Engine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

I used to like their premium customer support and service. The interface and use of is very simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Recently we experienced a few outages with WP Engine and the way they have been handling it, is unprofessional and doesn't actually solve the problem. I can't recommend WP Engine as a reliable hosting service.

My own (external) monitoring alerted me that all of our sites hosted with WP Engine were offline. This happened a few times in the past for a few minutes, but this one was longer.

When I contacted their support, the response time was quite slow and once I got to chat with a customer rep. he was telling me it has something to do with PHP7. Only later he corrected himself and admitted there is some problem with the server my sites are on. WP Engine is a shared hosting service and even though we're paying >$100, our sites are together with other users one the same server/cloud instance.

Our websites ended up being offline for 7 hours during main business hours. I had to contact them, as it seems they weren't even aware of the problem in the beginning. I was promised we would be moved to a "quieter" server and this shouldn't happen again.

A week later, our sites were experiencing outages again. Again, I only found out because of my own monitoring. Again, their support thought it has something to do with PHP7 in the beginning and only then found out that we were AGAIN experiencing outages because of another customer's site. Our sites were on and offline during evening hours on a very important day for one of the websites for four hours.

We were yet promised to be moved to a quieter service, but I was told this can happen again. I can't comprehend how they don't monitor for this themselves. Referencing to their SLA I was only offered some credits.

I'm now looking to switch to a professional WP hosting service that is reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use more reliable hosters Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managed Wordpress hosting. Not having to worry about hosting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

User Experience Designer
What do you like best?

WP Engine has a tight system in place to strengthen the performance and security of our WordPress websites. We don't have to pay frequent attention to configurations or monitor activity from external threats. The user interface of WP Engine is neatly organized and allows us to change settings quickly without complicated procedures. The pricing is quite reasonable and competitive with similar WP management solutions I know about. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Using WP Engine doesn't quite give me the flexibility that I had when working with a standard hosting platform. Though I like the metrics that can be viewed in our dashboard, there aren't as many advanced metrics included. I would like to be able to add more extensions to give us more data and integration options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With all of the security issues out there now that could effect website performance and user privacy, it's very important to have an website management solution that can give you efficiency and protection that exceeds basic requirements. I'd recommend WP Engine as a platform that can deliver that at a reasonable cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We don't need to constantly monitor activity on our WordPress websites. WP Engine runs our websites in a stable environment that's less prone to malware and negative performance issues. Our web pages usually load as fast as industry standard page loading speeds. We can maintain our WP website settings, databases and other elements in a concise and secure environment that allows us to focus more on content creation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

The Account Managers are great. I worked with my account manager Oscar Saldivar, who went out of his way to make sure he took ownership of my problems, executed with urgency and raised the bar as far as account managers go.

The hosting is fast. REALLY fast. I came over from host gator and I was pleasantly surprised how fast it was. NEVER GOING BACK.

Support is great. 24/7. You can easily get online and get help with anything you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could call in for support. Sometimes it is easier to explain what isn't working on the phone versus typing it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fast hosting. My client's websites were not a tiny site by any means and WP Engine handles them no problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AD
What do you like best?

WP Engine is a fantastic managed hosting platform for WordPress. We have used them to scale our business with the headaches of upgrading hardware and software because they take care of it for you. Wp Engine continues to innovate with Staging, Development and Production sites rolled into every site you have on your account with them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This is hard to say. W Engine has really come through with excellent features and incredible support. Honestly there is nothing to dislike! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We recommend WP Engine to everyone and have used it forever. If you need CPanel or server controls they might not be right for you. It is managed hosting so they take care of this which is a relief for our company. You won't be disappointed with less work! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ability to scale sites quickly without worry about hardware or server issues. This truly is a platform you can grow with. WP Engine allows us to free up website maintenance time with their simple daily backups, custom control panel and great support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Producer
What do you like best?

Our WordPress installs run extremely quick and smooth on WP Engine servers. The user interface is easy to use and we can get set up in less than an hour. The pricing is quite reasonable and not much more than we'd expect to pay on standard web hosting servers that aren't optimized for WordPress. We get great data on visitor activity in our account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

WP Engine is such a straightforward and simple service that doesn't often require frequent maintenance, so it's hard to point out anything I really dislike. It might be complicated for people that aren't familiar with WordPress though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should strongly consider WP Engine for your WordPress website(s). It might be hard for some to tell the difference in performance, but the difference is definitely there and it's actually often substantial. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're able to run our WordPress websites very quickly in a server that's optimized for this particular CMS. We have more stable pages and few issues with malware. We can host pages for a variety of marketing applications and know that they will load reliably. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.