Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale

Square provides small and large businesses the tools they need to run and grow their business. Accept debit and credit cards anywhere with your iPhone, Android, iPad or our POS system.

Work for Square Point of Sale?

Learning about Square Point of Sale?

Square Point of Sale Reviews

Showing 453 Square Point of Sale reviews
Luke D.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Square Point of Sale

What Retail POS solution do you use?

Derek D.

"Great app for sales on the Go!"

What do you like best?

Helps us collect money easier for field service calls.

Easy to use mobile app

Customization is easy with items and projects.

Numerous reports on sales

2.7% rate on swiped sales, keyed in card sales are higher, while EMV and Contactless sales are lower (yet require their bluetooth reader that you need to buy separately)

No monthly fees.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike, except that the Contactless/EMV reader costs $50 per unit. We have three field service techs and currently assign a Square magnetic swiper to each one at a total cost of $30.

The ability to pre-authorize a charge before settling would be nice.

An easier import process into our accounting software would also be appreciated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep in mind the price of EMV/Contactless readers.

Having the ability for our field technicians to charge for the work they do on site has saved the back office a ton of time in dealing with account receivables and collection.

Alli R.

"Square is very well rounded!"

What do you like best?

I love how Square offers so much for a small business owner to grow. You can take credit card payments on the go, which is fantastic for a musician at live shows, like myself. On top of that, they offer the ability to set up invoicing, and even have a free online store webpage you can set up an sell with great templates to choose from, and your customers can shop and purchase from there, and the payment goes right into your account.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how much of a percentage Square takes out of your online sales. It's better than alot of other online payment options, but still, I think it would be better if they didn't take such a high percentage. It's more an industry problem than one specifically aimed at Square. Other than that, Square works great for my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do popup sales, or need an online ecommerce option, choose Square!

As a musician, having the ability to take credit card payments at my merch table greatly increases my sales revenue. Nobody has cash, so you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't take card payments. The benefit is clear. More money in my pocket at the end of the night.

Zanaida L.

"Love the Convenience"

What do you like best?

I love that we can conveniently collect donation at the pace society is moving. People rarely carry cash and/or checks anymore. Most people want to pay with a credit card. Now we can receive their donations using their credit cards either by swiping or using the contactless device. It is convenient and reliable! It is nice that the Dashboard clearly shows you at a glance your transactions and deposits in the last week. It is also convenient that any transactions made are automatically deposited into the business bank account the next business day. No need to manually transfer funds to the bank account, this is done for you with the Square software.

What do you dislike?

The device sometimes disconnects from my mobile device and takes a bit to reconnect, but for the most part is is pretty reliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Square to anyone that lets me know they need an alternate solution to cash. The rates per transaction are reasonable compared to similar solutions. I also like the fact that deposits to the business bank are automatically done on the next business day. No need for me to log into my account and manually transfer the funds to the bank. As soon as you log into your account, there is a nice transaction summary for you on the Dashboard, so at a glance, you know exactly what is going on.

Since few people carry cash and/or checks anymore, using the Square allows us to be able to receive donations by using the Square contactless device using the chip or swiping a credit card.

francois g.

"Perfect Sales App for Trade Show"

What do you like best?

Square is a great app, easy to install and use during a trade show. You can add any products you want and make different discounts. When you place an order, cash out products, you can use it easily for credit card payment. You can easily see the different invoices, transactions you made daily, weekly, monthly etc.. It is also great to make different reports regarding the sales, items sold, customers payments etc...

What do you dislike?

This app only works with a WiFi connection. Without that, you can still use it and charge different credit card but you may take the risk that the credit card is invalid, and have declined credit card and payments. You need a fast WiFi connection to use without any problems. Sometimes, it could be kinda slow..

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this sales app if you need an easy app to make different credit card payments for any shows, event , b2b or b2c. You can transfer all products or services you need and add any discounts you wish related to any specials.

With Square Point of Sale, you can charge all the different credit card and make different payments for any events, shows. You can easily add any products you wish and add different discounts if you offer different specials. It is simple to use, secure for valid credit card and avoid declined ones. You can after make some different reports and track all your sales and do same sales analysis..

Xavier P.

"User friendly tool to sell products at conventions"

What do you like best?

The website and app are first of all very easy to use ; you hardly need any tutorial. Since we go to different conventions during the year to sell our products, I appreciate the fact that the website allows for any price change made to a product to apply to one or several other conventions. On the app, you can easily set up discounts if you want to run a special. I also especially like that Square sends you free of charge the devices to read the credit cards. Reporting is also easy, same as transferring the money on the company bank account. Finally the commission taken on every transaction is decent, provided you swipe the card and don't enter the number manually.

What do you dislike?

The website gets a bit crowded with additional functionalities which we don't use. Also, the internet connection needs to be fairly strong. Several times we've had credit cards transactions declined afterwards since we couldn't get a strong enough signal at the time those transactions were made.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it!

Square enabled us to securely increase our business during shows since a lot of people don't carry cash. We're also able to get sales reports faster and more accurate than in the past, when we were doing it manually. A real time saver which applies to our teams at the conventions when selling the products, the sales department when building reports and analyzing sales, and the accounting department.

Christopher B.

"Very simple all in one point of sale software."

What do you like best?

Can use the all in one set up on an ipad available from them or make your own set up with an ipad.. Also can be run straight from your phone. Can be used on the go and as a locked down set up. Low fees and instant deposits are available. It really is perfect for the solo business owner. Would be perfect for one location restraunts, retail stores, farmers markets, artist booths, taxi cabs, even delivery places taking payment upon delivery.

What do you dislike?

I could see needing some more advanced options in a more complicated business. Also some of the more advanced software programs charge higher fees but can do more advanced things like payroll and taxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

perfect for small businesses such as one location stores, restaurants, farmers market booths, taxi cabs, etc

Easy all in one solution to bookeeping and the taking of credit cards and cash for small businesses in a much cheaper starting point that some of the legacy options.

Kristi B.

"So many analytical tools!"

What do you like best?

I like the sales breakdowns best. They give the time of each sale which allows me to reference things if needed when a customer has feedback. But I also love that I can coincide with my calendar when we go to repeat locations and see what the big sellers were so I can be prepared.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact it's not free...just kidding. There really is not much that I dislike at this point. Other POS systems may have lower rates but they also don't have free setup, free equipment and no monthly fees.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Shop around but for small business, this is a fantastic product. I would implement at $5 minimum on cards to make it worth your time to run a card.

Square lets me see my very detailed sales breakdowns so I know what items to prep for our next event. It also allows me to see when peak sales times are at each event.

Jennifer V.

"Square Pint of Sales"

What do you like best?

They have an option where you can upload images of the items you want to sell. This was especially helpful with a team. They were trained to look for the image and click on the image to charge a customer.

What do you dislike?

The discount button has to manually be clicked on to apply the discount. It would be great if the system knew from keywords what/where to apply a discount. (some of my team members forgot to apply the discount code or couldn't figure out how.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's very intuitive and user-friendly. It's easy to set up and the fee is the same as other platforms

Square makes it easy to sell items using a mobile device or tablet.

Lucas C.

"Perfect for the Little Guys"

What do you like best?

I love that I have a free swiper and that I can charge cards. As a small time author, this is a HUGE step forward for my business and brand; I don't have to ask for Cash.

What do you dislike?

Lack of features and options for buyers. Also, there seems to be a lack of extra functionality for the sellers (such as setting it up to apply coupons when someone buys Item A and Item B Only)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Learn how to really use all the tools at your disposal. Make sure you set up an inventory for counting purposes and make sure you keep it all organized.

I needed to sell books, and cash is a rarity these days. Having a tiny reader is a godsend.

Kelsi C.

"Take Payments Anywhere"

What do you like best?

I can operate as a fully functioning traveling company now. Not only is the mobile app great for on the go credit card payments, but I can also issues electronic receipts for cash and checks. I have all of my sales now logged into one place.

What do you dislike?

I can't itemize fees for charging to a card. I would like to be able to be completely transparent with my customers about what I'm charging them for, but I don't want to add the convenience fee as an "item" in my shop.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need mobility and efficiency, this is the right company to choose. If you want to be fully paperless while taking any payment method, Square is the best.

I can track all of the revenue I have coming in from all sources. If any of my team takes a payment, I can see when and where. As a traveling company, this is a huge deal. We can now instantly see where our best sales are coming from.

Patrick M.

""Magnificent and helpful""

What do you like best?

Square has significantly changed the path merchants at market work together. This gadget has now expanded not just the deals at outside and indoor markets. It has additionally help clients have a superior shopping knowledge since they don't need to stress in the event that they carried enough money to purchase the merchandise they are needing. Individuals go to the business sectors for a few reasons in any case it is a shopping knowledge. With the square the client can not just utilize one of the essential hotspots for any buy , the charge or Visa, they can likewise have a sense of safety about there data when utilizing Square. Having the option to send computerized solicitations to my clients easily is an element I like as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't care for the amount of a rate Square removes from your online deals. It's superior to anything a great deal of other online installment alternatives, yet at the same time, I figure it would be better in the event that they didn't take such a high rate. It's more an industry issue than one explicitly went for Square. Other than that, Square works incredible for my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

On the off chance that you need to acknowledge cards, I would suggest going with square as they make it bother free and give you free instruments to enable you to develop your business. In the event that your business can remain tolerating money, I would stay with it.

Square empowered us to safely build our business amid shows since many individuals don't convey money. We're likewise ready to get deals reports quicker and more precise than previously, when we were doing it physically. An ongoing saver which applies to our groups at the shows when selling the items, the business office when building reports and dissecting deals, and the bookkeeping division. Square makes it simple to sell things utilizing a cell phone or tablet.

Kelsi C. F.

"Easy to manage small transactions for goods when travelling"

What do you like best?

I love that I can always have the option to sell my goods. The app can even be ran offline, which is highly convenient when traveling to areas that do not have the best cell reception. Sometimes I run impromptu events, so when I don't have the ability to say "Bring Cash" beforehand, Square makes it so I don't lose out on sales to my customers.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to show customers the fee that is being charged for using the app. I always explain that's it is a convenience fee, but it would be nice to see that itemized like taxes. Some of my customers write these fees off on their taxes, and it would be nice to not have to generate a separate form.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need peace of mind when wondering if customers will have cash to pay for goods, this is for you. It's the easiest to use processing software for small businesses. If you travel, having an app to manage and pay for goods is essential, and Square makes it possible.

I no longer have to worry if I will be able to take payment from a customer. I can even eliminate costs by providing all electronic receipts, even with cash purchases. Customers can also use these receipts to leave me reviews, which helps the credibility of my business and builds my brand.

Angela P.

"Best payment processor for traveling entreprenuer"

What do you like best?

It is so quick and easy to use! If you have your phone with you (and you always do), and WiFi or cell signal, you can take credit card payments.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick something I don’t like, it would be the fees involved. It really adds up and eats into the profit.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fast payment, easy to use, great for on-the-go or traveling businesses.

Only brick and mortar stores used to have the technology to run credit cards. If you were a small business conducting sales outside of a storefront, you would have to tell people, “sorry, I can’t take cards.” Being able to take the number one form of payment, whoever and wherever you are, has immensely helped small businesses.

Briana W.

"Review for Square"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate this app when it comes to being a vendor in a fast paced world. Its super quick and easy to use as well. I even like that the other payment methods are easy to use as well like making a card payment without using the scanner!

What do you dislike?

I dont know if it was a Square company issue; however, I, and a lot of other people, were unable to use the scanner attachment for an entire day. It would not read from phones with AUX jacks or phones with USB adapters. It made taking payments a slight bit longer, but we were still able to collect credit card money.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that the scanner attachment works with your phone before using it during sales. It just cuts down time of trying to swipe someones card multiple times! Also teach others using it how to manually charge a card.

The main issue it solved was being able to sell items, food and others things at our Church if people wanted to purchase with debit and credit cards. We did not have to only take cash.

Thomas B.

"Square makes mobile business competitive with brick-and-mortars"

What do you like best?

The simplicity and efficiency of Square is by far the best on the market today. The handy square reader that fits in your pocket connecting to your cell phone's audio jack is beyond miraculous. The payments transferred to your bank account next day is reliable and wonderful as well as life saving for the nomadic business-person. Square allows festival booths, markets, and crafts-people to compete with the big guys letting them accept credit cards virtually anywhere with more affordable fees than the big banks.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack-of-ability that square possesses in automatic credit card acceptance for online transactions or when a customer is not present. It would be an amazing gift if Square could evolve to allowing processing of sales online through shopping carts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hands down Square is the best solution for accepting credit cards regardless of a brick and mortar, festival booth, or mobile service professional. You won't find more affordable rates and fees anywhere else.

Square lets my business stay nomad and versatile when doing festivals, fairs, and events. There were many a occasion when the sale depended on my ability to process a credit card. Square saved me many sales because of this. The offline feature of Square also made transactions possible when there was no cell or internet signal as well.

"The Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

Square is the industry standard in payment processing. I have two small businesses and use Square daily. Square is simple to use, intuitive, and comes just as advertised. Square provides you the equipment you need to accept credit card payments. I have both a swiping device, and a device for “chip” cards that they sent me free of charge.

A typical transaction goes like this. The customer presents their card for a purchase, I enter the amount due, swipe (or insert) the card, and the money is collected by Square. I then have the option to transfer that money to my checking account as I wish.

What do you dislike?

All credit card transactions (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) come with a fee. It doesn’t matter what service you use- there will be a fee. Be aware of this, and, in advance, know what to expect.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Outstanding product and good people to work with.

Most people no longer carry cash. This allows me to transact business with everyone.

Liz W.

"Square for My Small Business"

What do you like best?

Convenience! Square allows me to accept any type of payment when I'm out in the field, which is crucial to my small business since I am a photographer, and clients usually pay me on-location. There are no monthly fees, which is a deal breaker for me. Also, I no longer have to be connected to Wifi to accept payments.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if I have to enter a credit card number manually (rather than swiping, because sometimes cards fail to read correctly when swiped), Square will charge me a higher percentage. This is sometimes unavoidable when a credit card, although present, may not be correctly read by the card reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you own a business that needs to accept credit cards as a form of payment, Square is the only way to go. The fees are small (although when manually entering a card number, the percentage is slightly higher), the Square reader is small and easy to carry around, and transactions happen quickly and safely.

Before Square, my photography business could only accept cash or checks as forms of payment, which was a huge problem as most people now prefer to pay with credit card. I do not have a storefront, so I am always working on-location. Square is the only answer to this problem. Plus, when clients do occasionally pay with cash, I can send them a receipt using Square for their cash payment.

Jennifer T.

"Square is a great solution for my small business needs!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Square on my phone since I started renting a chair. I love it! It's so easy to use and my clients love that they can pay with a card.

What do you dislike?

When inputting an amount from the keyboard instead of ringing through my item screen, I wish that I could specify what I am ringing up instead of it just being "custom amount."

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! It's so easy to use, and no monthly fees. Even if you use another system after using Square, you can always have an account open and have it as a back-up.

My clients have the option of getting a receipt texted or e-mailed to them. I don't have to print one out. I love that they charge a flat percentage of each sale. No monthly charges, so if I don't use it I don't pay. That has been a huge help to me as I am growing my business.

Lara L.

"The perfect solution for start-up's a small businessness"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the easy to use nature of the program and simplicity of the interface design. I also enjoy the quick adding of products, coupon codes, discounts, and other variables to the sales interface.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the product could make discounts a little less confusing (or the creation of discount codes).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you plan on using Square, make sure you take the time to be oriented with the product as you don't want to caught experiencing trial & error mistakes while using it with customers.

Easy checkout either online or in person for immediate purchases that need to be handled easily with an iphone or ipad device.

Caylie G.

"Business Made Manageable "

What do you like best?

I like that I can hook it up to several devices for ultimate convenience. I love that it allows me to reach a whole new market because I'm not restricted to cash. I love how easy it makes it to deal with credit cards and my business! It's got a beautiful design and is very intuitive. I skipped the intro walk-through and still figured everything out quite quickly and easily. I love that I can create my personal collection of products and can even assign pictures to them if I want.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the charge, but I recognize it as a necessary thing in commerce. I dislike that it's sometimes difficult to get the hang of swiping a card and holding my ipad steady to maintain full contact with the card, but that will come with practice. So I don't dislike very many aspects of this incredible product or the app that accompanies it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

USE THIS PRODUCT. It promises ease and helpfulness and it DELIVERS. The app is wonderful and very easy to use. The desktop/website is full of incredible resources to help your business.

I am solving so many business problems with Square! The obvious one is that I can now take card literally wherever I am. That is so unbelievably convenient. I did not expect that it would help me solve the problem of how and what to charge people for my products. Having to go through ahead of time and create those product prices and specials makes every interaction with a customer easy and it gives me confidence.

James r.

"Seller experience "

What do you like best?

The square has dramatically changed the way vendors at market do business. This device has now helped to increase not only the sales at outdoor and indoor markets. It has also help customers have a better shopping experience now that they don't have to worry if they brought enough cash to buy the goods they are wanting. People come to the markets for several reasons but ultimately it is a shopping experience. With the square the customer can not only use one of the primary sources for any pilurchase , the debit or credit card, they can also feel secure about there information when using the square. We have used this device for 5 years now with out incident and much success.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the signal can be slow but for the most part it works fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Real easy to use just set up your bank account, down load the app, set up tax for areas of business and your ready to go.

Uses the square has increased our sales greatly.

Natalie K.

"Awesome and convenient"

What do you like best?

Being able to send automated invoices to my customers! Also the square swipe for my phone gives me peace of mind knowing I can ring someone up on the spot and not have to chase them down later with an invoice.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. I think scheduling could be a bit quicker when I'm there on the spot, but I'm not 100% sure what that would look like. This morning a client asked me to schedule her the next 3 Saturdays, next Monday, and the following Wednesday. I was scrambling to get it all into my phone without spending 20 minutes getting it all set! It will probably take me some time to get used to scheduling.

Saving time and ensuring that I am able to process payment of any type.

Learn more about Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale Videos

Learning about Square Point of Sale?

* We monitor all Square Point of Sale reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.