Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale

Square provides small and large businesses the tools they need to run and grow their business. Accept debit and credit cards anywhere with your iPhone, Android, iPad or our POS system.

Work for Square Point of Sale?

Learning about Square Point of Sale?

Square Point of Sale Reviews

Ask Square Point of Sale a Question
Showing 447 Square Point of Sale reviews
Square review by Ashleigh D.
Ashleigh D.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Square Point of Sale
Square review by AK C.
AK C.

What Retail POS solution do you use?

Square Point of Sale review by Derek D.
Derek D.

"Great app for sales on the Go!"

What do you like best?

Helps us collect money easier for field service calls.

Easy to use mobile app

Customization is easy with items and projects.

Numerous reports on sales

2.7% rate on swiped sales, keyed in card sales are higher, while EMV and Contactless sales are lower (yet require their bluetooth reader that you need to buy separately)

No monthly fees.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike, except that the Contactless/EMV reader costs $50 per unit. We have three field service techs and currently assign a Square magnetic swiper to each one at a total cost of $30.

The ability to pre-authorize a charge before settling would be nice.

An easier import process into our accounting software would also be appreciated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind the price of EMV/Contactless readers.

Having the ability for our field technicians to charge for the work they do on site has saved the back office a ton of time in dealing with account receivables and collection.

Square review by Alli R.
Alli R.

"Square is very well rounded!"

What do you like best?

I love how Square offers so much for a small business owner to grow. You can take credit card payments on the go, which is fantastic for a musician at live shows, like myself. On top of that, they offer the ability to set up invoicing, and even have a free online store webpage you can set up an sell with great templates to choose from, and your customers can shop and purchase from there, and the payment goes right into your account.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how much of a percentage Square takes out of your online sales. It's better than alot of other online payment options, but still, I think it would be better if they didn't take such a high percentage. It's more an industry problem than one specifically aimed at Square. Other than that, Square works great for my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do popup sales, or need an online ecommerce option, choose Square!

As a musician, having the ability to take credit card payments at my merch table greatly increases my sales revenue. Nobody has cash, so you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't take card payments. The benefit is clear. More money in my pocket at the end of the night.

Square review by Zanaida L.
Zanaida L.

"Love the Convenience"

What do you like best?

I love that we can conveniently collect donation at the pace society is moving. People rarely carry cash and/or checks anymore. Most people want to pay with a credit card. Now we can receive their donations using their credit cards either by swiping or using the contactless device. It is convenient and reliable! It is nice that the Dashboard clearly shows you at a glance your transactions and deposits in the last week. It is also convenient that any transactions made are automatically deposited into the business bank account the next business day. No need to manually transfer funds to the bank account, this is done for you with the Square software.

What do you dislike?

The device sometimes disconnects from my mobile device and takes a bit to reconnect, but for the most part is is pretty reliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Square to anyone that lets me know they need an alternate solution to cash. The rates per transaction are reasonable compared to similar solutions. I also like the fact that deposits to the business bank are automatically done on the next business day. No need for me to log into my account and manually transfer the funds to the bank. As soon as you log into your account, there is a nice transaction summary for you on the Dashboard, so at a glance, you know exactly what is going on.

Since few people carry cash and/or checks anymore, using the Square allows us to be able to receive donations by using the Square contactless device using the chip or swiping a credit card.

Square Point of Sale review by francois  g.
francois g.

"Perfect Sales App for Trade Show"

What do you like best?

Square is a great app, easy to install and use during a trade show. You can add any products you want and make different discounts. When you place an order, cash out products, you can use it easily for credit card payment. You can easily see the different invoices, transactions you made daily, weekly, monthly etc.. It is also great to make different reports regarding the sales, items sold, customers payments etc...

What do you dislike?

This app only works with a WiFi connection. Without that, you can still use it and charge different credit card but you may take the risk that the credit card is invalid, and have declined credit card and payments. You need a fast WiFi connection to use without any problems. Sometimes, it could be kinda slow..

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this sales app if you need an easy app to make different credit card payments for any shows, event , b2b or b2c. You can transfer all products or services you need and add any discounts you wish related to any specials.

With Square Point of Sale, you can charge all the different credit card and make different payments for any events, shows. You can easily add any products you wish and add different discounts if you offer different specials. It is simple to use, secure for valid credit card and avoid declined ones. You can after make some different reports and track all your sales and do same sales analysis..

Square review by Xavier P.
Xavier P.

"User friendly tool to sell products at conventions"

What do you like best?

The website and app are first of all very easy to use ; you hardly need any tutorial. Since we go to different conventions during the year to sell our products, I appreciate the fact that the website allows for any price change made to a product to apply to one or several other conventions. On the app, you can easily set up discounts if you want to run a special. I also especially like that Square sends you free of charge the devices to read the credit cards. Reporting is also easy, same as transferring the money on the company bank account. Finally the commission taken on every transaction is decent, provided you swipe the card and don't enter the number manually.

What do you dislike?

The website gets a bit crowded with additional functionalities which we don't use. Also, the internet connection needs to be fairly strong. Several times we've had credit cards transactions declined afterwards since we couldn't get a strong enough signal at the time those transactions were made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

Square enabled us to securely increase our business during shows since a lot of people don't carry cash. We're also able to get sales reports faster and more accurate than in the past, when we were doing it manually. A real time saver which applies to our teams at the conventions when selling the products, the sales department when building reports and analyzing sales, and the accounting department.

Square Point of Sale review by Christopher B.
Christopher B.

"Very simple all in one point of sale software."

What do you like best?

Can use the all in one set up on an ipad available from them or make your own set up with an ipad.. Also can be run straight from your phone. Can be used on the go and as a locked down set up. Low fees and instant deposits are available. It really is perfect for the solo business owner. Would be perfect for one location restraunts, retail stores, farmers markets, artist booths, taxi cabs, even delivery places taking payment upon delivery.

What do you dislike?

I could see needing some more advanced options in a more complicated business. Also some of the more advanced software programs charge higher fees but can do more advanced things like payroll and taxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

perfect for small businesses such as one location stores, restaurants, farmers market booths, taxi cabs, etc

Easy all in one solution to bookeeping and the taking of credit cards and cash for small businesses in a much cheaper starting point that some of the legacy options.

Square review by Kristi B.
Kristi B.

"So many analytical tools!"

What do you like best?

I like the sales breakdowns best. They give the time of each sale which allows me to reference things if needed when a customer has feedback. But I also love that I can coincide with my calendar when we go to repeat locations and see what the big sellers were so I can be prepared.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact it's not free...just kidding. There really is not much that I dislike at this point. Other POS systems may have lower rates but they also don't have free setup, free equipment and no monthly fees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around but for small business, this is a fantastic product. I would implement at $5 minimum on cards to make it worth your time to run a card.

Square lets me see my very detailed sales breakdowns so I know what items to prep for our next event. It also allows me to see when peak sales times are at each event.

Square Point of Sale review by Jennifer V.
Jennifer V.

"Square Pint of Sales"

What do you like best?

They have an option where you can upload images of the items you want to sell. This was especially helpful with a team. They were trained to look for the image and click on the image to charge a customer.

What do you dislike?

The discount button has to manually be clicked on to apply the discount. It would be great if the system knew from keywords what/where to apply a discount. (some of my team members forgot to apply the discount code or couldn't figure out how.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very intuitive and user-friendly. It's easy to set up and the fee is the same as other platforms

Square makes it easy to sell items using a mobile device or tablet.

Square Point of Sale review by Lucas C.
Lucas C.

"Perfect for the Little Guys"

What do you like best?

I love that I have a free swiper and that I can charge cards. As a small time author, this is a HUGE step forward for my business and brand; I don't have to ask for Cash.

What do you dislike?

Lack of features and options for buyers. Also, there seems to be a lack of extra functionality for the sellers (such as setting it up to apply coupons when someone buys Item A and Item B Only)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how to really use all the tools at your disposal. Make sure you set up an inventory for counting purposes and make sure you keep it all organized.

I needed to sell books, and cash is a rarity these days. Having a tiny reader is a godsend.

Square review by Kelsi C.
Kelsi C.

"Take Payments Anywhere"

What do you like best?

I can operate as a fully functioning traveling company now. Not only is the mobile app great for on the go credit card payments, but I can also issues electronic receipts for cash and checks. I have all of my sales now logged into one place.

What do you dislike?

I can't itemize fees for charging to a card. I would like to be able to be completely transparent with my customers about what I'm charging them for, but I don't want to add the convenience fee as an "item" in my shop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need mobility and efficiency, this is the right company to choose. If you want to be fully paperless while taking any payment method, Square is the best.

I can track all of the revenue I have coming in from all sources. If any of my team takes a payment, I can see when and where. As a traveling company, this is a huge deal. We can now instantly see where our best sales are coming from.

Square review by Kelsi C. F.
Kelsi C. F.

"Easy to manage small transactions for goods when travelling"

What do you like best?

I love that I can always have the option to sell my goods. The app can even be ran offline, which is highly convenient when traveling to areas that do not have the best cell reception. Sometimes I run impromptu events, so when I don't have the ability to say "Bring Cash" beforehand, Square makes it so I don't lose out on sales to my customers.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to show customers the fee that is being charged for using the app. I always explain that's it is a convenience fee, but it would be nice to see that itemized like taxes. Some of my customers write these fees off on their taxes, and it would be nice to not have to generate a separate form.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need peace of mind when wondering if customers will have cash to pay for goods, this is for you. It's the easiest to use processing software for small businesses. If you travel, having an app to manage and pay for goods is essential, and Square makes it possible.

I no longer have to worry if I will be able to take payment from a customer. I can even eliminate costs by providing all electronic receipts, even with cash purchases. Customers can also use these receipts to leave me reviews, which helps the credibility of my business and builds my brand.

Square Point of Sale review by Angela P.
Angela P.

"Best payment processor for traveling entreprenuer"

What do you like best?

It is so quick and easy to use! If you have your phone with you (and you always do), and WiFi or cell signal, you can take credit card payments.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick something I don’t like, it would be the fees involved. It really adds up and eats into the profit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fast payment, easy to use, great for on-the-go or traveling businesses.

Only brick and mortar stores used to have the technology to run credit cards. If you were a small business conducting sales outside of a storefront, you would have to tell people, “sorry, I can’t take cards.” Being able to take the number one form of payment, whoever and wherever you are, has immensely helped small businesses.

Square review by Briana W.
Briana W.

"Review for Square"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate this app when it comes to being a vendor in a fast paced world. Its super quick and easy to use as well. I even like that the other payment methods are easy to use as well like making a card payment without using the scanner!

What do you dislike?

I dont know if it was a Square company issue; however, I, and a lot of other people, were unable to use the scanner attachment for an entire day. It would not read from phones with AUX jacks or phones with USB adapters. It made taking payments a slight bit longer, but we were still able to collect credit card money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that the scanner attachment works with your phone before using it during sales. It just cuts down time of trying to swipe someones card multiple times! Also teach others using it how to manually charge a card.

The main issue it solved was being able to sell items, food and others things at our Church if people wanted to purchase with debit and credit cards. We did not have to only take cash.

Square review by Thomas B.
Thomas B.

"Square makes mobile business competitive with brick-and-mortars"

What do you like best?

The simplicity and efficiency of Square is by far the best on the market today. The handy square reader that fits in your pocket connecting to your cell phone's audio jack is beyond miraculous. The payments transferred to your bank account next day is reliable and wonderful as well as life saving for the nomadic business-person. Square allows festival booths, markets, and crafts-people to compete with the big guys letting them accept credit cards virtually anywhere with more affordable fees than the big banks.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack-of-ability that square possesses in automatic credit card acceptance for online transactions or when a customer is not present. It would be an amazing gift if Square could evolve to allowing processing of sales online through shopping carts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hands down Square is the best solution for accepting credit cards regardless of a brick and mortar, festival booth, or mobile service professional. You won't find more affordable rates and fees anywhere else.

Square lets my business stay nomad and versatile when doing festivals, fairs, and events. There were many a occasion when the sale depended on my ability to process a credit card. Square saved me many sales because of this. The offline feature of Square also made transactions possible when there was no cell or internet signal as well.

Square review by User

"The Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

Square is the industry standard in payment processing. I have two small businesses and use Square daily. Square is simple to use, intuitive, and comes just as advertised. Square provides you the equipment you need to accept credit card payments. I have both a swiping device, and a device for “chip” cards that they sent me free of charge.

A typical transaction goes like this. The customer presents their card for a purchase, I enter the amount due, swipe (or insert) the card, and the money is collected by Square. I then have the option to transfer that money to my checking account as I wish.

What do you dislike?

All credit card transactions (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) come with a fee. It doesn’t matter what service you use- there will be a fee. Be aware of this, and, in advance, know what to expect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Outstanding product and good people to work with.

Most people no longer carry cash. This allows me to transact business with everyone.

Square review by Liz W.
Liz W.

"Square for My Small Business"

What do you like best?

Convenience! Square allows me to accept any type of payment when I'm out in the field, which is crucial to my small business since I am a photographer, and clients usually pay me on-location. There are no monthly fees, which is a deal breaker for me. Also, I no longer have to be connected to Wifi to accept payments.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if I have to enter a credit card number manually (rather than swiping, because sometimes cards fail to read correctly when swiped), Square will charge me a higher percentage. This is sometimes unavoidable when a credit card, although present, may not be correctly read by the card reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you own a business that needs to accept credit cards as a form of payment, Square is the only way to go. The fees are small (although when manually entering a card number, the percentage is slightly higher), the Square reader is small and easy to carry around, and transactions happen quickly and safely.

Before Square, my photography business could only accept cash or checks as forms of payment, which was a huge problem as most people now prefer to pay with credit card. I do not have a storefront, so I am always working on-location. Square is the only answer to this problem. Plus, when clients do occasionally pay with cash, I can send them a receipt using Square for their cash payment.

Square review by Jennifer T.
Jennifer T.

"Square is a great solution for my small business needs!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Square on my phone since I started renting a chair. I love it! It's so easy to use and my clients love that they can pay with a card.

What do you dislike?

When inputting an amount from the keyboard instead of ringing through my item screen, I wish that I could specify what I am ringing up instead of it just being "custom amount."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! It's so easy to use, and no monthly fees. Even if you use another system after using Square, you can always have an account open and have it as a back-up.

My clients have the option of getting a receipt texted or e-mailed to them. I don't have to print one out. I love that they charge a flat percentage of each sale. No monthly charges, so if I don't use it I don't pay. That has been a huge help to me as I am growing my business.

Square review by Lara L.
Lara L.

"The perfect solution for start-up's a small businessness"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the easy to use nature of the program and simplicity of the interface design. I also enjoy the quick adding of products, coupon codes, discounts, and other variables to the sales interface.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the product could make discounts a little less confusing (or the creation of discount codes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan on using Square, make sure you take the time to be oriented with the product as you don't want to caught experiencing trial & error mistakes while using it with customers.

Easy checkout either online or in person for immediate purchases that need to be handled easily with an iphone or ipad device.

Square review by Caylie G.
Caylie G.

"Business Made Manageable "

What do you like best?

I like that I can hook it up to several devices for ultimate convenience. I love that it allows me to reach a whole new market because I'm not restricted to cash. I love how easy it makes it to deal with credit cards and my business! It's got a beautiful design and is very intuitive. I skipped the intro walk-through and still figured everything out quite quickly and easily. I love that I can create my personal collection of products and can even assign pictures to them if I want.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the charge, but I recognize it as a necessary thing in commerce. I dislike that it's sometimes difficult to get the hang of swiping a card and holding my ipad steady to maintain full contact with the card, but that will come with practice. So I don't dislike very many aspects of this incredible product or the app that accompanies it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

USE THIS PRODUCT. It promises ease and helpfulness and it DELIVERS. The app is wonderful and very easy to use. The desktop/website is full of incredible resources to help your business.

I am solving so many business problems with Square! The obvious one is that I can now take card literally wherever I am. That is so unbelievably convenient. I did not expect that it would help me solve the problem of how and what to charge people for my products. Having to go through ahead of time and create those product prices and specials makes every interaction with a customer easy and it gives me confidence.

Square review by James r.
James r.

"Seller experience "

What do you like best?

The square has dramatically changed the way vendors at market do business. This device has now helped to increase not only the sales at outdoor and indoor markets. It has also help customers have a better shopping experience now that they don't have to worry if they brought enough cash to buy the goods they are wanting. People come to the markets for several reasons but ultimately it is a shopping experience. With the square the customer can not only use one of the primary sources for any pilurchase , the debit or credit card, they can also feel secure about there information when using the square. We have used this device for 5 years now with out incident and much success.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the signal can be slow but for the most part it works fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Real easy to use just set up your bank account, down load the app, set up tax for areas of business and your ready to go.

Uses the square has increased our sales greatly.

Square review by Natalie K.
Natalie K.

"Awesome and convenient"

What do you like best?

Being able to send automated invoices to my customers! Also the square swipe for my phone gives me peace of mind knowing I can ring someone up on the spot and not have to chase them down later with an invoice.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. I think scheduling could be a bit quicker when I'm there on the spot, but I'm not 100% sure what that would look like. This morning a client asked me to schedule her the next 3 Saturdays, next Monday, and the following Wednesday. I was scrambling to get it all into my phone without spending 20 minutes getting it all set! It will probably take me some time to get used to scheduling.

Saving time and ensuring that I am able to process payment of any type.

Square Point of Sale review by Administrator

"An Integrated POS System that allow our business to be open 24/7"

What do you like best?

Integrates with our online scheduler and booking system, Acuity. I like there new invoice deposit feature. Customers can save their card for future payments and share feedback on their transaction.

What do you dislike?

I wish they would allow us to run more than one loyalty program at one time. Clients can dispute transactions and if their bank does not agree with you, they will not provide you for a service rendered. For example we had a customer come to our business in 2017. He booked our venue to celebrate their child's birthday. We ordered pizza and cupcakes from an outside vendor, provided out of pocket purchases (party goods) and paid staff to work his party. After the party he complained and ended up getting a free party. we were left with the full $800 bill, this just didn't seem fair at all, in anyway shape or form.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you heard about Square from someone else, they do offer a referral credit. Refer them if they inadvertently referred you. I saw it at another business and didn't realize they had a referral code to share with me, for when I signed up. The cashier could have easily told me more about it for the company's benefit.

Because it integrates with our scheduling system, Acuity - we can accept payments 24/7.

Square review by Alex G.
Alex G.

"Collecting credit cards for you business made easy!"

What do you like best?

I love the POS system that square offers that lets me take clients credit cards directly on my iPads in shop. It also helps with book keeping as I am able to keep track of all the invoices along with how much i made in a day.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that all the small fees they charge to process take a huge chunk of my profit. They charge 3.5% + 15 cents for all transactions that aren't swiped.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to accept cards, I would recommend going with square as they make it hassle free and give you free tools to help you grow your business. If your business can stay accepting cash, I would stick with it.

With Square we are able to offer our customers the option of paying with a credit or debit card, driving more incentive to come to our barbershop versus the ones that charge cash only.

Square review by Dan S.
Dan S.

"The Perfect solution for non-profits and small businesses needing an easy Point of Sale system"

What do you like best?

I like the relative simplicity of Square and its products. The fact that you can get a free card reader (or buy one with a rebate for the value) and deploy the product quickly makes it a simple choice for small businesses or non-profit groups like mine. The option to have an online store using its simple web-based interface is great, too! I don't have to worry about setting up a clunky e-commerce platform on my own website and maintain a separate inventory – I just manage it all on Square.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the online store platform is a bit too simplistic and doesn't allow for the level of customization I'd like to have. The learning curve for some of my colleagues is a bit much. And if you're not running a traditional business model like a storefront, then utilizing Square for your organization's needs can be a bit difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Training is absolutely key to the successful implementation of this product. As with any Point of Sale System, you're going to have to get used to a whole new set of tools and features. I recommend taking some time to explore all of your options. It's really good for basic retail, but if you're a bigger retail business, there are probably other more robust options for your market.

Square helps us solve the need to be able to accept payment types other than cash or cheque. Being able to accept credit, and now Interac with their new contactless terminal, I'm able to provide my customers with options. The freedom I have by using a mobile device as my terminal is also beneficial since my organization doesn't have a physical storefront and we serve our customers on the spot.

Square Point of Sale review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Square Simple"

What do you like best?

Everything, I like that I can have all my invoices in one place. That my clients can have the ease of paying online with the added security square brings them. You can schedule payments of orders you know are annual.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike. I would recommend it to anyone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It stays organized for you, makes invoicing, reordering, and the end of the year totals a breeze.

We have clients from all over the world being a Military company. With square this allows us to get invoices to them everywhere and have an easy payment solution. This also keeps all the invoicing in one spot which makes reordering and looking up clients so much easier. There is also no guessing at the end of the year what we still have outstanding, it tallies it for you as you go.

Square review by Ryan C.
Ryan C.

"SQUARE | GREAT FOR NEW, SMALL FOOD COMPANIES"

What do you like best?

There are two elements that I most enjoy about Square. First; Square allows a small food business owner like myself to create a full catalogue of products, track inventories and easily accept payments. This is a great alternative to more expensive and limited bank-run merchant solutions. Even beyond the intrinsic benefits, as your business grows, as has mine, I'm able to retain Square as a payment processor and integrate it with other e-commerce solutions (such as Ecwid) and web-hosting solutions (such as Adobe Business Catalyst and Adobe Muse.)

What do you dislike?

I currently find that I use Square for little other than a payment processor, as I've upgraded to using other software solutions for inventory management and cataloging products. That being said, Square is very user friendly and a great start up solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square integrates well with other e-commerce hosting solutions, and can easily be used to it's full potential, or simply as a payment processing solution.

For my business, the main "problem" solved with Square is payment processing, and an alternative to bank-hosted merchant processing.

Square Point of Sale review by Luis H.
Luis H.

"Collecting Payments from clients on site."

What do you like best?

I like that they include a card reader and an app to be able to take payments directly from my phone. They offered competitive rates compared to other companies. (Stripe was the only to offer the same rate). It also makes accountng easy as they keep track of all my sales.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike expect, all the amount of money it takes out adds up fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an easy and cheap way to collect card payments, square will work not only for you, but work with you. Also your customers will be happy to see you accept card and cash!

With Square, I am able to take card payments from my clients after i cut their hair. It make's my job easy, as they will be able to pay directly from the square card reader. It also allows my clients to tip me from the app too!

Square review by Madyson M.
Madyson M.

"Taxi Driver Uses Square"

What do you like best?

I suppose the best thing about square is the convenience of using it. There's nothing like it. Honestly, I also really like how many features it has for business, and look forward to experimenting with them in the future. I like that I can write receipts for cash customers and I like that I can personalize those receipts.

What do you dislike?

My square reader never wants to work. I always have to manually put in cards. It loads very slowly on my phone, which is quite old. And it won't work when I'm using headphones or in a call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use a newer phone, it can load slowly.

I'm using it to accept credit card payments, but it has a lot of other nifty features. I can send digital receipts to customers paying in cash, for one, which is extremely useful for me. You guys should partner with vista print.

Square Point of Sale review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Safe and simple transactions. "

What do you like best?

There are many things that I like about Square. It's very versatile. I can invoice customers right from the page, they can click the link and pay right there. Which is wonderful, especially with having a small business. It is so easy to navigate. Everything is kept in one place, I can search someones name and all the invoices they have with our company are right there. You can also bring up just the unpaid invoices if that is all you want to look at. You do not have go through everything one by one to find them. I have Square on my computer, on my phone. Its very useful.

What do you dislike?

I work for a custom apparel company, we send all our clients virtual mock ups of their art/orders. In square I can't really attach those mock ups to the invoice, which would be super helpful to have. Then I could truly pull up everything I need for a client in one software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its truly a time saver. Simple and easy to use for you and your clients.

Keeping our accounting and invoices current. As well as saving time for our staff, by not having to take payment from clients manually.

Square Point of Sale review by Megan L.
Megan L.

"One of the Best, Most Flexible Retail Sales Alternatives"

What do you like best?

Square is a simple, straight-forward and unilaterally outstanding retail sales tool. Uploading and managing products is simple and efficient. Charging, monitoring, and reporting sales is orderly and effective.

What do you dislike?

I first began utilizing square as a mobile retail solution for external sales opportunities (e.g. conventions). It is GREAT for that purpose, but I was somewhat frustrated to learn that inventory quantities cannot be updated/included when adding products to the system utilizing the app, only the desktop site. Therefore, I had to device a mock method utilizing the notes system, before learning in the future that there are just some features that the app doesn't cover.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is utilized by our business as an alternative to our standard retail program. The one piece of advice that I would throw out is to be aware of the number of products to be managed for your retail space. Our space -- in total -- has 20,000+ products, and I don't know that the system is yet able to support that load.

Square has been an excellent filler for our usual retail system. On multiple occasions, either when leaving our retail store, or when issues in the store have prevented our primary system from working, Square has come to the rescue to allow us to continue processing transactions and maintaining business as usual.

"Pretty good POS"

What do you like best?

I like the various options with using the tablet and/or iPhone apps for sales. The apps are easy to engage with and adjust to suit your needs. There is a decent amount of reporting in the backend website. It works well with some other inventory management softwares which can be helpful.

What do you dislike?

I don't love that you have to be skilled at using two different interfaces to really get the most out of it. You have to know how to use the apps for interacting with customers and the website for actual reporting or bookkeeping. Some of the reporting on what you sold can be rather confusing and not provide all of the information we want. To use gift cards in square you have to purchase from them and they are outrageously expensive!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your POS needs are pretty basic it's a great resource. If you have a larger company or need more reporting or lots of features maybe look at some other features. If you want to use gift cards, look elsewhere. They also charge a significant amount for typing in a CC number instead of swiping/inserting, so if you do that a lot look elsewhere. They also charge quite a lot in their CC processing fees, so if price is a big concern, maybe look elsewhere.

It is our primary POS in all of our stores. It's easy for our leadership teams in the stores to use as well as the support and management teams at our corporate headquarters to use as well.

Square review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Simple and powerful!"

What do you like best?

What I love most about square is that they are constantly improving their product and that they have a very user friendly dashboard with pertinent information for the user to use. From sales, to products, to payroll, they have thought about almost everything that you might need to run a small or medium sized business.

What do you dislike?

There are lots of menus because they are always adding features, but that is not really a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no doubt that over the years that more payment processing services have arrived, but that doesn't change the fact that Square was one of the earlier businesses to the market and have some of the most sophisticated software.

I did not want to force my customers to always have to pay with cash, so using the square reader was the perfect way to accept payment.

Square review by Andrea L.
Andrea L.

"What's not to like"

What do you like best?

Easiest merchant system and they have Payroll! Easy to use, fast responses from customer service, and the ability to use an integrated payroll system.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. I'm sure it would be nice to lower the cost of transactions but considering there isn't much else out there in terms of a mobile merchant system, it's not bad.

We have a transportation company in which most of our clients have payment info on their account. For those that don't or prefer to pay their driver directly, we use Square. For our clients, they recognize square so they feel comfortable with it.

Square review by Olivia T.
Olivia T.

"Square could be perfect."

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can take payments from practically anyone when using square. It really is a professional service that makes it so much easier for my customers to check their cart on my website. Iv never had any issues with checkouts and they have a wonderful dashboard that allows me to view my sales. I really like that once you set up your checking account then they automatically deposit your money daily; its just one thing i don't have to worry about now. It is very easy to see what fee they take out per sale so you don't get any surprise deductions at the end of the month.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the only thing i dislike about square is that they are not willing to work with pay-pal. I wish i could have my money deposited into pay-pal for automatic availability. Furthermore they will not allow me to link my pay-pal prepaid checking account or my pay-pal debit card to my account. For someone like me, who only uses a online pay-pal checking account it was kind of annoying to have to go out and open a new checking account to use with square.

I am not able to accommodate to customers that do not use Paypal. I know alot of online shoppers use paypal but now i do not have to miss sales because square allows me to accept credit cards. Honestly in the past few months i have received more square transactions than paypal, this was shocking to me. It made me appreciate squares service even more.

Square review by Courtney O.
Courtney O.

"Literally love square"

What do you like best?

I love how I can track sales for myself and for my reps when I am not there. I love how easy it is to add product, to change taxes for the area we happen to be in. All in all, great app for a mobile business

What do you dislike?

Ah well, the inventory doesn't always sync up properly but some of that may very well be employee error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business, use it.

We are able to keep prices consistent across locations, it's easy to download on personal devices so each employee can use it at whatever event they are at.

Square review by Kelly H.
Kelly H.

"great for small business, not good for a larger company"

What do you like best?

easy to use, easy to learn, simple system for small business. Reports are easy to customize and integrates well with vendors and inventory. Integrates well with our label software to print our sku labels.

What do you dislike?

Not good for a larger business or a business with multiple locations and a larger number of items for sale. The system doesn't track changes in inventory, due to shrink/loss. There isn't a way to account for moving inventory from one store location to another, the cost doesn't transfer creating additional work using a program like QuickBooks. Unable to do exchanges without refunding the purchase and then recharging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't switch to this system if you have more than one location, inventory transfers and tracking are a nightmare.

accept credit when off line, stores info, creates customer data base. Easy to teach to new staff.

Square review by Amanda H.
Amanda H.

"Taking sales wherever you go"

What do you like best?

I like the portability of the Square software and that it is easy to operate.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fees that are involved in using the software. Whereas there's no physical fee to own the card reader, you will lose a portion of sales that goes toward processing the payment. Even more if you need to manually enter the customer's card information which will cost 3.5% of the sale plus an additional 15 cents. Expect to pay an additional 1% of your gross sales if you wish to have same-day deposits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you go with the free option and plan on using an apple product to use the application, you will need an adapter since the reader goes in a standard headphone jack, unlike the jack on an iPhone. This makes the free Square reader a little harder to use and may require multiple swipes to obtain the customer's card information. Just reassure them that they will only be charged once. I love that the reader automatically offers the option to send the receipt to their phone or email by taking that information from the card. You don't even need to ask for their number or email, it's already there!

I am solving the issue of my customers not having cash on them. This allows more frequent sales because people are not limited. They are able to use their debit/credit cards to buy my business services and products. This works great for me as I am an independent business owner.

Square review by User in Individual & Family Services
User in Individual & Family Services

"Perfect for sending invoices!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can send a quick and easy invoice for those purchasing from my business. I also like that I can easily personalize it and add all the information that I need. It is really easy to use and it looks professional. Customers can then pay right away and it’s a safe option for them. I also like that I can have it deposited into my account that very same day if I wanted to. It’s also very afforadable with lots of options to earn free processing by referring others. I have loved it and found it very useful.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don’t like is having to pay for processing fees, but they have to make money so it’s understandable. But like I said above, they still offer plenty of free processing, so I don’t have much complaints.

I have been able to send invoices and receive my payment the same day and that’s awesome! Other company’s take too long.

Square Point of Sale review by Chance N.
Chance N.

"Square has been a god send for my small buisness"

What do you like best?

I love that square gives you a free reader and allows you to except credit and debit cards there apps are fully developed and easy to use and now they even offer their own debit card so you can get your money right away I would definitely recommend you try square out

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can take five or 10 minutes for your deposit to register but other that it’s awesome

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth giving the it a try for yourself

Well before I was limited to crash transactions which can seem unprofessional and I also did not have a fleshed day out list of products and services instead I just made customers mixed quotes but the app made it so easy that I finally put together a list

"Why we use Square!"

What do you like best?

It's a very user-friendly program that can be used by several team-members. Easy set up and you can even add pictures to your products so during a busy sales time you can see what you need to ring up right away. We also enjoy that patrons have the option to leave immediate feedback if they wish.The clean and space- friendly design makes it also a very attractive choice.

What do you dislike?

I wish Square would have the option to create showtime reports. We are a performance venue and when we have two shows in one day we need to create two custom reports, which creates confusion around our staff even after training's sessions. Right now the system only has the automatic daily report function, which is probably more convenient for most businesses models. So this might be a great update for performance venues like ours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a great program that is user-friendly, easy to navigate, customer- friendly and modern looking. Square is the one!

Square is the perfect choice for our space limited venue. It takes up minimal room and we can still offer all the payment options. It's an easy program to teach other employee's, which was very important to us. As a bonus patrons have the opportunity to give immediate feedback if they wish.

Square review by John H.
John H.

"Untrustworthy with your Funds!"

What do you like best?

Nothing - They act in an arrogent manner.

What do you dislike?

Untrustworthy with your Funds!

We started using Squre a couple of weeks ago and all seemed fine. We had processed about £860 spread over a number of transaction.

This morning I was amazed today to find a notice in my mailbox: "Square are no longer able to support processing your payments. . Starting today, your account with Square is deactivated."

What have we done wrong? You tell me!

There was no prior warning or any messages of concern. We have had no chargebacks and 100% happy clients!

Now they want to hold funds for 90 days! £800+ held that long can put a new business out of business!

Dont trust them to collect your funds! They operate in a shabby way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best Avoided!

They could put us out of business!

Square review by Administrator

"Easy to use fairly inexpensive!"

What do you like best?

I like that it’s easy to use and pretty cheap

What do you dislike?

can Get complicated, scanner needs updating

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven’t used it in the past couple of months, as I have had some major health issues this year. However, I know that a lot of people like to use services such as: PayPal and Venmo (now they have come out with another banking app, too I believe?)... I think that it would be in the best interest of Square to also be able to somehow have a way to accept a payment in connection with those applications as well and then send an invoice directly to the customer, or still be able to utilize creation of all of the SKU data that I have created for products and customer input. I really like having that and having the mailing/email contact list to send out bonus fliers, coupons, special sales and ads. Otherwise, they would lose me and other clients to apps like PayPal, Venmo & such... But the software aspect is what I’m hanging onto!

I wish that it would create some kind of a rewards or points system for valued or repeat/regular customers. (Sort of like a punch card app/software.)

It does allow you to organize inventory and create SKU #s and item #s, but if you already have them... I wish there were an easier way that you could bring them in or copy/paste them from another management software program... maybe it does and I don’t know it.

I can now send invoices right to a client when transaction has happened, immediately. Ability to scan credit cards out in public, with my phone is very nice. Usually inexpensive rates are helpful, too! And pretty simple to understand how to add customer and products to my account. I sell craft products and shoot photography every now and then. It is easy to create invoices for each item, based on the client and product.

Square review by Haley H.
Haley H.

"Once you set it up your smooth sailing"

What do you like best?

I like that anyone can now take credit cards with low fees. Square is great for small businesses and bands who tour. Square also allows my friends to have no excuses when it comes to paying me back for things when they don't have cash. Square's POS systems are easy to program and are very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Square was very difficult to set up. It took me calling customer service to set up my square. It kept trying to register my bank account and square app would not allow me verify my bank account. This was extremely frustrating. There square came with very specific instructions I should not had to call customer service to get my account all set up. I was under the impression I would be able to do the set up myself with no help!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend square for every business big or small. They are so easy to use and help you manage your business everyday!

Square allows my business to take credit/debit cards without the high fees. Square allows my business to manage my employees and their schedules. I have realized being able to manage all of my businesses needs in one place is very convenient and time efficient.

Square review by User in Financial Services

"Good option for small business "

What do you like best?

I really like the plug in that square sends for your phone so you can accept payments on the go without carrying bulky machine that needs an outlet to work. Fees are also not that high comparing to other similar products. Convenience and affordability

What do you dislike?

The one thing that’s not so great is it isn’t as secure as other payment processing as it stores the customers information on your phone. In case someone gets a hold of or hacks your phone their info isn’t at jeopardy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want ease of use and a pretty reasonable and convenient way to accept payments on the go, square is a good option. Just be careful with the security aspect of it.

I can take payments for my photography AT my sessions if they choose to use a card instead of check or cash. It makes sure that you are protected by taking the money right then instead of checks which may come back. I take this with me to avoid clients forgetting payments and having to carry cash or Checks with them when coming to meet. One less thing for them to worry about because most everyone has a card on them at all times.

Square review by William R.
William R.

"My use of the “square” technologies."

What do you like best?

The FREE download that assists the card reader is fantastic. It has so many abilities. Such as invoicing, customer information, birthdays, employees, etc.

You control everything

What do you dislike?

I can’t really come up with anything right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! Even if just an example of how a company should support its customers. I recommend the square to anyone wanting to get started or is a seasoned pro.

I can now be a seller anywhere I am when I carry my iPad and square with me I can do sales anywhere, anytime.

Square Point of Sale review by Administrator

"Great Point of Sale System"

What do you like best?

The ease of all the tools, I also like how I can also use the PoS on any device, so even If I am traveling I can still make a sale from the use of my phone.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the basic online store would allow you to import shipping rates or at least be able to make weight based or order based shipping. Currently I can opt to have a Flat-Rate Shipping charge per order, or have a shipping charge on each product. So if someone makes a small order, its still quite a charge, but if they make a big order I feel like I am losing on shipping costs.

I use it as an online store as well as in a retail location. This allows us to collect sales online.

Square review by Sabrina R.
Sabrina R.

"Simple and efficient credit card processing with square."

What do you like best?

Square is super easy to use and makes processing credit cards fast. Chip reader is super fast, not slow like most big older style machines. I love receiving the daily reports of what our deposit use and square reports make accounting purposes so much easier! Square's customer support team is always so helpful. We have a customer dispute a transaction a while back and square was on top of the entire situation and helped us through every step of the way.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see square compatible with other tablets such as the microsoft surface or an online interface to process cards. I have been given cheaper prices as far as processor precentages, but I always just fall back on using our square.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple credit card processor square is the one to use. They are always updating and adding other cool features as well.

Square is simple to use and makes credit card processing efficient. It's nice to have a processor with the option to directly deposit to you bank although it does not work with our particular bank.

Square Point of Sale review by User

"Fastest Payment Software For Anyone"

What do you like best?

I love the speed of cleared transactions. The fact that you can get paid instantly is also a huge factor. If you are a business that is just starting out and want to accept credit card payments. It's the easiest place to see your sales and it's super transparent.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the actual cost of the processing service. It's on the higher end but with this type of software, you are paying for premium convenience and ease of use. It all ties into the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square continues to change the way you look at credit card processing. It's completely transparent with the numbers and directly after a card entry, you immediately see those sales onto your dashboard which always shows what your daily sales are. I love the reports feature and the forecast for repeat customers .It honestly even tells you what your highest sales day of the week is.

Solved credit card processing and customer sales by credit card. Also helped with sales accounting reports and sales numbers.

Learn more about Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale Videos

Learning about Square Point of Sale?

* We monitor all Square Point of Sale reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.