Scrivener Reviews & Product Details

Scrivener Reviews

Showing 58 Scrivener reviews
Already have Scrivener?
author
What do you like best?

This is a tough one because there is everything to love about it. I'm convinced I only use a fraction of Scrivener's capabilities. The organizational capabilities are beyond phenomenal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is very little. While the complexity of the program might be a put-off for some users, the support is top-notch, and there is plenty of help to be found online. I'm not sure I've ever found a question I haven't been able to get answered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are on the fence about the product, definitely take advantage of the free trial then take the time to watch the hour-long tutorial. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I keep track of all aspects of novel writing within the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editor
Libraries
What do you like best?

What I like most about this program is the method it gives me, it shows me a progress bar of the manuscript that goes from red to yellow, until it reaches green, when the writing goal has been reached. This method helps me to maintain a high motivation and it helps me a lot at a time when the only slogan is to keep writing, or when I have a very structured project, with parts that have to have a similar extension Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that you cannot change the order of the documents from my iPad. If the project is very large, the navigation will be uncomfortable because the project is accessed through a flat list of documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this tool, because the documents are shown in the lower bar, thus allowing you to observe the amount of written words and characters. This data is always in sight and I don't need to look for it in the menu and waste writing time on it. However, to review the overall statistics of the document and the progress status, the Project Statistics tool is consulted in the Project menu. There not only can the information be viewed with different measures, such as characters, words and pages, but it is possible to define up to the number of characters or words that each page has, according to the count that is made and decide which project documents are taken in account for statistics, so I avoid repeating words. It is a very helpful tool if they are professionals or just writing enthusiasts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As editor I take statistical information very seriously. therefore this program helps me a lot since all the documents are shown, in the bottom bar, the amount of words and characters written. This data is always in sight and I don't need to look for it in a hidden menu and waste writing time on it. However, to review the overall statistics of the document and the progress status, the Project Statistics tool is consulted in the Project menu. There not only can the information be viewed with different measures, such as characters, words and pages, but it is possible to define up to the number of characters or words that each page has, according to the count that is made and decide which project documents are taken in account for statistics, so I avoid repeating words. It is very helpful in my day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Private Music Teacher
What do you like best?

Ability to organize all the different elements needed to write a story; character descriptions, world building, summaries, etc. as well as keeping all the chapters and story elements together as a story develops. Inexpensive tool and does not require a subscription like a lot of current software coming out these days. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be a little less than intuitive at times and requires a bit of a learning curve compared to other writing software and word processing tools. Having to buy the iOS and MacOS apps separately is a little annoying, but they aren't terribly expensive compared to other software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure of the platform you will primarily be using as the iOS and MacOS apps are sold separately but they are not cost prohibitive to purchase. This is a great tool for more than just writing a book, it can be used for anything that you may need to put together; scripts, blogs; editorials, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No direct problems other than figuring out how to sync between MacOS and iOS devices initially. Keeping things organized and update across platforms is very much needed as my wife writes and I edit her progress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Broadcast Media
Editor
What do you like best?

It's flexible and can be very useful to those of us who have a wandering or untidy mind. It's a place to store this random 3am thoughts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a phone app from Scrivener that really was a 24/7 plugged in helper for this on the go interactions with the work console. It doesn't have the most glorious design. Sometime the export formatting goes wary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think in this specialisation it really is an industry standard and widely used by a great many authors and writers I know. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I write long form articles and, sometimes books, which can be awkward files to manage: Scrivener is essential there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
Research
What do you like best?

I really appreciate that I can read flip between two parts of my document simultaneously, especially as I am editing my reference list. I also really like how responsive the word count function is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I find saving documents to be a but cumbersome and not very intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has helped me to make fine edits for my dissertation, which until recently was divided into multiple files, so it was hard to be consistent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer
What do you like best?

I absolutely love the split-screen feature (Editor, I believe?), which allows me to pull up separate documents side-by-side without any hassle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are so many lovely features, but it is a bit complicated to learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm easily able to switch from scene to scene to compare previous drafts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Student
What do you like best?

I love that i can organize projects with multiple drafts, outlines, etc rather than in a huge number of unruly word documents. I also love the full screen distraction free mode and the note cards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do wish it could handle footnotes and citations more seamlessly, particularly with zotero. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great program for writing and organizing just be careful to double check footnotes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Doing my graduate work and personal writing on it. It is perfect for organizing large scale projects and avoiding writing distractions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer
What do you like best?

I've been using Scrivener since 2016 and I can say that it's fully revolutionized the way I write and plan my stories. A necessary upgrade for any working writer. Plus? It's not subscription-based, so you won't be paying endlessly to have edit access to your files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike about Scrivener--it's agile, it's ample, it offers so much more than any other standard writing app out there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It can be overwhelming at first, so definitely read the guides the software comes with! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I would recommend Scrivener for long-form fiction writers (flash short story writers might not find it as useful). It's good for easily organizing things, though, so you could include several short stories within one document and easily access them when writing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Author
What do you like best?

Scrivener allows you to organise your writing and make the process smoother. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit confusing and time-consuming to learn how to use Scrivener. It's a bit expensive and if you own a former version or one for a different platform, they offer a discount but you nonetheless have to pay for it. The mobile app is expensive and DISASTROUS, virtually unusable. I paid 20$ on it and had to delete it from my phone nonetheless, it can only be used with Dropbox and crashes all the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's expensive and complicated to get the hang of, but when you do, it will greatly improve your writing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to write faster and jump back to a particular scene instead of having to scroll all the way up, make more notes and edits, have my outline before my eyes and have a place for notes, character info, research, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Copy-Editor
Internet
What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of Scrivener -- one of the primary reasons I first purchased it was because its setup would allow me to write in any order, either from beginning to end, or jumping back and forth between chapters if I realize I forgot something or want to cut something out. It also allows me to create labels and use icons to better keep track of the category and status of each file, and the mobile app that coordinates with the Mac/PC versions is much lighter and simpler to use than most mobile word processors when dealing with large documents, which makes it easier for me to write on the go. The fullscreen editing mode and the ability to customize color schemes are also fantastic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there doesn't appear to be any equivalent to Microsoft Word's 'Track Changes' feature. There is a 'Snapshot' feature that allows the user to save a backup version of how the document is at a certain point and revert to it later if necessary, but as for any feature that would allow me to track and review individual changes as I go along, I haven't found anything. I also don't like that there's no way to access Scrivener files in a browser. It's also worth noting that there's a big learning curve in getting to know the ropes of the program, so I'd strongly recommend new users consult the User Manual to ensure they get the most out of this powerful program. (Webinars and groups consisting of people with experience with the program who are willing to answer questions are also helpful.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read the User Manual and be persistent in learning the ropes. It may seem daunting at first, but when you get the hang of it, it's an insanely powerful tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scrivener has made it easier for me to review specific sections of documents without scrolling endlessly through one long document or having to use a 'Search' tool, and enables me to tackle each document in the way that works best for me in that particular situation. As an author, that is a distinct advantage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Clinic Coordinator
Sporting Goods
What do you like best?

Scrivener is an organizers dream come true. I can start writing from any part of the book that I want to write, easily access notes, character descriptions. It automatically compiles the book into whatever format you want it in, including manuscript and paperback. basically making your book completely publisher/agent ready. It's so easy to navigate through it but if you need help, there is clear guidance. It's also very affordable, you just pay once and then you have that version of Scrivener forever. It allows you to choose the type of Novel format you're writing (if it's fiction, non-fiction, something that has parts to it) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If I were to get a new computer, (switch from mac to windows) then I would have to re-pay for Scrivener, also if they update the current version of it, you have to pay again, which is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Play around with it, give yourself time to learn how to use it, i guarantee you will find something to love Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to write efficiently and effectively, everything i need to write successfully is in front of me Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Student
What do you like best?

I love way it lets me organise my work in sections, use the full screen mode to stay focused, how it displays the different parts of the writing on taggable sections... And it is very easy to use. It also lets you export the projects in sections or as a whole piece of work in any format I can think of. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I love everything about it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's worth it if you write novels, academic papers, scripts, short stories, journalism articles... My only recommendation is to buy it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I write fiction novels, non fiction, academic papers and scripts, and before finding Scrivener I went crazy when having to organise all my materials. This tool helps me schematize what I want to write and how and then lets me separate it in parts, tag those parts, see the content in different ways that let me have an overview of all of it and, most important: it has a full page mode that replicates a typewriter, so it makes it easier to stay focused. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This is the best writing app available. I do mostly academic-style writing, and the ability to have my research, my notes, and everything else I need in one place is just tremendous. The ability to zoom into one part of the article/paper and not see or worry about the rest allows full concentration.

The outline and index card modes help to formulate long papers and move thoughts about as the needs exist.

Highly recommended! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is little to dislike about Scrivener. Version 3 (Mac only for now) is such a major overhaul that many of the little annoyances have disappeared.

For now, until the Windows version catches up with the Mac version, there is a slight discomfort since I use both platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not only great software, but they have a wonderful trial period as well. Nothing at all to lose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scrivener is a powerhouse of organization. With it I can, in one place, keep my reference pdf's, my illustrations, all of my research notes - all within easy reach during the writing process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writing and Editing
What do you like best?

Beautiful, tons of features. Worth the free trial period too see if you like it. This is kind of a love it or hate it app. Fortunately it has a no obligation trial period so you can see if it's right for you. I mostly like it for its ability to organize smaller parts of your document and handles large documents well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not the most intuitive program but if you go through the free tutorial that comes with it, it's not that hard to get going. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Love it or hate it. Fortunately, you can try it for free for a month without submitting payment info. I strongly recommend downloading the free trial and immediately working through the tutorial document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I used to write novels in MS word. But word doesn't do well when you start getting long files. Also, it is very hard to reorganize chapters in word. All those problems are solved in scrivener, and there is so much more you can do with it too. I've written two novels in it and I'm not going back to any other program! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Professional Freelancer
What do you like best?

The ease of editing with a beta reader and proofreader via Dropbox integration as well as comments and edits on a draft is quite great for the most part. Outline format as well as notecards assist in following your plots. Compiling feature for other document extensions is mostly solid. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UX of this is not intuitive at all. Too pricey unless bought during Camp Nano. Why do I have to pay $19.99 for mobile capabilities when the program itself is $40? Support forums are disorganized and impossible to find answers in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you fully learn it! Don't expect the forums to help you since they're disorganized and not properly threaded. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editing documents for publication is much simpler than via uploading to Drive and then swapping programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer, Editor and Content Strategist
Writing and Editing
What do you like best?

This is really comprehensive software that seems infinitely adjustable, and would likely be a great fit for writers across a wide array of industries. It's a powerful tool that does a lot! If there's a feature you want your writing software to have, chances are, this already has it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's not the most user friendly software ever, there's definitely a learning curve. Also it's not for someone looking for a straightforward, no-frills, minimalist word processor. I have had nightmarish experiences with trying to export and have had to do it manually. Likely something I'm doing wrong and I haven't taken the time to contact support about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want no-frills, just a screen to write, I think Scrivener can actually do that, but it can also do everything else, so if you're going to get this software you may as well make use of it. Take the time to learn how it works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scrivener is all about organization. It lets you organize to your hearts content. Different files, different projects and all of the varied information that goes into each individual project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Proofreader
Translation and Localization
What do you like best?

Ability to keep organized different sections necessary for the preparation of a story Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No Italian tutorial or instructions. For some tips, it will be important. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Since it is widely used and implemented, it would be useful for the instructions (very detailed and long) to be provided in other languages, including Italian, because many editorial terms differ from language to language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scrivener is an indispensable tool for keeping together all the elements necessary to write a book. Moreover, it is very versatile, it allows the immediate consultation of texts, images, maps and at the end of the work, it creates alone the files for an ebook or for a book to print. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UG
What do you like best?

I gave Scrivener a trial run during NanoWrimo, and was sold instantly. I'm by nature a disorganized and scattered-brained person. Writing in Scrivener made organizing my writing and ideas easier by orders of magnitude.

Scrivener allows you a lot of flexibility and depth in how you organize your ideas, notes, research, revisions, pages, etc.

The "corkboard" view is an excellent way to get an overall picture of your writing project and essentially summarizes individual documents into easily managed and organizable index-cards.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The depth and sheer amount of features is daunting at first blush. The best tutorials and tips are to be found outside of the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The free-trial is full featured and gives an excellent grasp of what can be done. If you really want to spend a lot of time in the program before committing, Scrivener releases a special "NanoWrimo" trial version every November that allows full use for the entire month of November.

Winners of NanoWrimo have recieved significant discounts in past years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ability organize all research and notes into one program speeds up productivity and reduces "management fatigue".

Backing up to the Cloud is possible through simple work-arounds, but a built-in ability would be preferable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer & Proofreader
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Scrivener allows you to place all your documents, images and other reference material into one location so that you no longer have to access muliple locations for notes, webpages or other documents. Writing withine the software is straight-forward and simple to use, as is managing the order that you want your pages to be displayed. Creating a summary for each document (or page) is simple and if you're working to a word count, this is easy to track both by page and by project total. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The formatting options for producing an ebook aren't as clear as they could be, and understanding how they work takes a lot of time and patience. The manual does explain how this section works and what should happen but there doesn't appear to be as much support for when things go wrong. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like many programs, Scrivener has a 30-day trial. However, unlike most pieces of software, the trial time is based on actual use, therefore if you start using it for a couple of days and then don't use it for two weeks, your trial time will only have been two days.

There are a lot of features that make managing documents that easier, allowing a user to keep all relevant information in a single place even after a project has been completed. Making updates to your work is clear cut and easy as is producing them in a variety of formats (printed, pdf, ebook, etc.)

Scrivener is feature rich so there is a bit of a learning curve though the manaul that comes with it is detailed and there are also many support groups and training videos available both on their site and independantly produced. The software is available on both the Mac and PC though the Mac version has a few extra features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a writer and being able to put all my notes, pdfs, images and webpages that I use or reference in a single place makes accessing that information invaluable. That I can look at a webpage, pdf, etc and the document I am writing on in the same screen without having to constantly switch from one to the other allows me to concentrate on the work I am doing and reduces distractions..

I no longer have to remember which folder I saved a key piece of information or where I put a bookmark for a webpage, all of it is readily available at my fingertips within the files that I am working on. In addition to this, being able to take a snapshot of the page/section that I am working on allows me to make changes, compare them to the previously unchanged document to see whether they improve or detract from what I am doing, and being able to reorganise the internal structure of the document without having to cut and paste pages is a life saver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like the formatting features and options Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the steep learning curve for certain things Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm able to format my own books, saving money Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is a toss-up on if I like the cork board feature, or the easy drag-and-drop feature that allows me to move chapters, scenes, etc. around with ease. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you are writing with Scrivener on a smaller screen then you might have a bit of trouble at first. There is some sort of buggy issue when the software is put on screens smaller than 15 inches (at least in my case). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a writer you need to try Scrivener! You can use it for blogging, note-taking, or general writing. You can even use it to make a recipe book, screen writing, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I first started writing it was difficult to keep track of where I was, what part of the scene or chapter I was in, etc. Having Scrivener helped me organize each part of the story into multiple chapters, scenes, etc. It also helped me to stay on track with what happened, seeing as I can easily place a recap of the scene in the little note card feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

I love that I can use text fragments and keep them in folders together all in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It has a steep learning curve, and can take a while to use comfortably. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scrivener has helped me stay organized through large writing projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

What I love best about Scrivener is its distraction-free writing environment, its organization tools, and its universal usability.

As an author, ad-writer, web designer, and marketer, there are many apps that I have used for writing over the years. However, Scrivener is by far my favorite. It's not for layout, mind you. The styling tools are very basic, but that's the point. Scrivener is designed for writing everything from books to stories to screenplays and more. Any time you need to crank out a couple thousand words, this app is your best friend.

I use it to write ads, blogs posts, and web copy on a regular basis. I have also written whole books using Scrivener. The organization tools provided allow me to jot down thoughts, logic points, and plot twists on note cards and then organize them in any order. Once I'm satisfied with the flow of what I've written, I simply continue creating. Scrivener allows me to think linearly or skip around and organize later. This is essential when organizing long works or a series of pieces with a specific timeline.

Finally, Scrivener is the most universal writing app I've ever used. I can write on my desktop computer. Then close down and open my laptop to keep going on location somewhere. I can even use it on my tablet in a meeting and then integrate my meeting notes later when I'm back in the office. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While I love all of Scrivener's functions, It would be nice to give the user interface an update. It sort of looks like a program from the mid 1990s. And also, while I appreciate the way that limited styling options keep me focused on the content, it would be nice to have a few more styling elements to use like more advances color choices and modern project templates for writing web copy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Scrivener is not the most user-friendly app in the world, but there are lots of videos on YouTube that explain every aspect of the program. It's a fantastic tool if you write a lot and often. Just be prepared for a little learning time when you first get started. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Right now, scrivener is my go-to app for cranking out large amounts of copy for blogs, social media posts, web pages, articles, and more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Scrivener?