WriterDuet Reviews & Product Details

WriterDuet Overview

What is WriterDuet?

With a simple, attractive, customizable design, WriterDuet is fun and easy to use from day one.

WriterDuet Details

WriterDuet
2014
Austin, TX
@WriterDuet

WriterDuet Reviews

Showing 24 WriterDuet reviews
Already have WriterDuet?
What do you like best?

This app is great for real-time collaboration among screenplay writers and editors. Also, it has an auto-formatting feature that makes writers easy to use for writing screenplay. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a bit confusing and not that intuitive to use and needs improvement. The dashboard colour background is depressing for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We need to draft varieties of Screenplay for our videos, and this is now possible with WriterDuet, where writers and editors collaborate virtually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gerente general de recursos humanos
What do you like best?

This excellent application brings together a series of amazing features among which the ones I like most are the following:

- WriterDuet has a composition that makes it very simple and easy to understand when working with the program.

- Its interface is too fast that facilitates everything when working.

- It has a large number of tools to edit, create and modify everything we want in a simpler way.

- And the most important thing and what catches my attention is that you can write at any time and place while you have a computer available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It seems to me that they put many limitations on people who do not have a Pro account in such software and you can even lose the documents stored there because of problems you may have when you log in. For the rest, I think it has a lot of problems with regard to functionality. At certain times it may take time to open the application, but it is understandable due to the different functions that the application has. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend it to all my coworkers with my eyes closed, as well as to all known writers. It allows you to export documents to other software and change it to different formats. The price for a PRO account seems too accessible to me. And they provide quick answers to any problem that may arise. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows me to make correct reports that request me in my work and add comments in the form of a narrator to help them understand them. Although we do not all have to acquire a PRO account it seems to me that its price is quite accessible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in WriterDuet
Film Director
What do you like best?

WriterDuet has an astounding interface, which truly gets itself off the beaten path, puts the composition up front, and does not require a huge amount of fiddling around. It's excessively speedy and simple to simply get composing, without agonizing such a great amount over the application itself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Stacking can be a bit on the moderate side. It's gotten quicker than it at any point was previously, yet there's still opportunity to get better there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In case you're searching for a reasonable screenwriting arrangement that makes cooperation simple, and still gives all of you the professional assets you need like organizing, spell check, and separated fares, WriterDuet is the appropriate response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I like that I can send out reports that share the correct data with the creation group that they need. I can simply give them sides with exchange, I can simply send out a solitary character (storyteller) so they can without much of a stretch form a document for a monitor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

What WriterDuet is good at is being a formatting app. The features that the software has are great ideas but need work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

*Note that I am a young, advanced technology user (I work professionally in social media) and know my way around apps and word processors.

I have had numerous issues with Writer Duet. First, I like saving each draft locally as a PDF. This feature is available but when I hit save it takes between 30 seconds and two minutes for the save dialog box to pop up. Frequently hitting save causes the site to crash and freeze. I contacted support and they said they could not find a cause.

Writer Duet is also incredibly slow. I will often write a few lines and nothing shows up for several seconds. I spend a lot of time waiting on the site to catch up to my writing. It will also crash on me frequently, completely freezing, blanking the web page so it only shows the page's background color, and/or giving me a dialog box saying the site is not responding and do I want to wait or reload. I have lost the last several lines of what I just wrote many times. I usually remember exactly what I have written but when this happens on almost a daily basis, it really stems the writing flow. The longer my script or novel runs, the more issues I seem to have.

Customer support is friendly and is obviously trying to be helpful but I have never gotten a solution or workaround from them for my issues. It has also sometimes taken several days to get a response. I've tried their online help chat feature and even when it says someone is available it most often sends me to email.

I have had these issues across multiple computers, both PC and Mac and in multiple browsers including Chrome and Explorer.

Other more minor complaints include features that are labeled similarly and aren't intuitive to use. Navigation is also confusing. When using the app on your phone, there is no scroll button you can click with your thumb to scroll through pages quickly, you have to move the whole page up/down manually with your thumb over and over to scroll a fair distance. I don't like how WD opens different projects in multiple tabs, then opens documents within that project in identical looking tabs. You have to stay on top of what tab goes to what project and I am constantly closing unwanted tabs instead of just switching between projects.

I wish I had saved my money and gone with a different writing program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm writing scripts and novels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

The software is pretty easy to use if you're a beginner with limited knowledge about screenwriting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They're extremely rude to you when you don't have a Pro account. I couldn't log in due to a technical issue on the site. I was a little worried the information I saved on there was lost, so I used their chat service and was connected with their CEO, Guy, from Austin. He bluntly told me that they won't help me because, "You need to support a company if you expect support back from them" and I should "buy a Pro account". He acted like I did something wrong for using their free online service which they willingly provide. Shaming people into financially supporting you has the opposite effect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Might as well just use Final Draft. It's the industry standard, and they're not so rude. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Video Editor
What do you like best?

We use it in class and most take to it right away. I personally use it for my own writing as well and love the layout and ease of use.

The best thing about it is that you can write anywhere on any computer if you use their server, if you want to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of the mobile app. The interface E just doesn't work well with a phone. A tablet might be better Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm a TA for a screenwriting class and students did not have a viable proprietary software to experience.

This is a great way to get students to write on a professional program, one they can purchase that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and a great way to keep track of their notes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Webmaster
Newspapers
What do you like best?

WriterDuet has an excellent interface, which really gets itself out of the way, puts the writing front and center, and does not require a ton of fiddling around. It's super quick and easy to just get writing, without having to worry so much about the app itself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Loading can be a bit on the slow side. It's gotten faster than it ever was before, but there's still room for improvement there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is already the best screen and stagewriting software I've used, and from what I've seen, it's only getting better. The big feature they advertise is simultaneous writing by multiple people, but this is great software even for a single person writing alone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I wrote a stageplay using WriterDuet, which was produced. The ease of this software definitely played a part in getting this play written easily, and in a timely fashion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Junior Creative Producer
What do you like best?

Even though the real time collaboration is their selling point, there’s countless other reasons I love this software. It’s extremely intuitive, you can export in pretty much any file format, the alternative scene/dialogue versions is a great feature, and they have a fantastic customer support (comparing to their main competitor’s horrendous one).

Plus

IT SUPPORTS UNICODE 😍 Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Literally nothing!

Yes sooometimes the loading time might be a bit slow but nothing annoying.

And since their update the interface is so beautiful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has made my workflow very fast. I can work on my desktop, show a client what I did on my ipad and work on their notes from my phone.

Plus the fact that it is compatible to pretty much any other software is fantastic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Story Consultant
What do you like best?

Free storage, ability to share with collaborators. Also the ability to export sides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface feels a bit dated, and it's sometimes slow to load. Some of the features are a bit clunky in the user interface / usability, but they do work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for an affordable screenwriting solution that makes collaboration easy, and still gives you all the pro resources you need like formatting, spell check, and filtered exports, WriterDuet is the answer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I like that I can export reports that share the proper information with the production team that they need. I can just give them sides with dialog, I can just export a single character (narrator) so they can easily build a file for a teleprompter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

This software is terrific. Well-supported. Amazing customer support. I’m a professional Script Coordinator for one of the top comedy TV shows on right now. I won’t tell which, but let’s just say it has won multiple Emmys in the last few years. I use Final Draft for the show and I couldn’t hate it more. It’s buggy, it’s counterintuitive, the customer support is at BEST atrocious if it even exists, and the collaboration features are embarrassing for 2018 (or ten years earlier). WriterDuet is the antidote. Collaboration is great. Solo writing is great. Online, offline, long project or short. Writerduet is the answer to the problem of Final Draft. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot wrong with the software. Occasionally it can be not as quick to open as Final Draft, which is understandable because of how many more features / versions it contains. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It makes my writing so easy. Writing / sharing / editing / production tools. It’s all easy breezy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

Typewriter mode is excellent addition, being able to collaborate with writers no matter where they are in the world, and the ability to buy a lifetime license. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The outlining feature isn’t easy to use. Also sometimes the title page gets off when importing a doc Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

What are you waiting for??? This is the future of screenwriting software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Screenwriting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer/Director/Editor
Entertainment
What do you like best?

One thing I like about Writer Duet is that, being online based, I can sign onto any computer and continue writing. I also love how it's consistently being updated and improved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's honestly nothing I dislike about his program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I already recommend it to every screenwriter I know. You can export in multiple formats, it's adaptable to other software for ease of sharing, and the price is very affordable. Plus, if there's any problems, they are very quick to respond with a solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I write all of my film scripts on this program, and am getting my work out there because of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales Associate
Restaurants
What do you like best?

WriterDuet has a smooth, easy, and user-friendly interface that makes it quick for a writer of any caliber to pick up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The software often experiences outages online. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have transitioned from another software - which shall remain nameless - to WriterDuet. The main advantage is the collaboration, which makes it easy to plan out the final product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Actor & Stunt Fighter
Entertainment
What do you like best?

I love the clean design and how easy WriteDuet makes collaborating with other writers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my scripts load very slowly, but that may be more of a result of slow internet connections than the writerduet software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With a free version and affordable upgrade options, there is really no reason not to give WriterDuet a try. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Streamlining collaboration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Kommunikationsmedarbejder
What do you like best?

The fact, that writngDuet is a free service is a huge plus. It offers a simple to use interface that everybody can learn but quickly and efficiently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

WriterDuet hasn't any in-depth planning features. It lacks a way to budget your production. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I write scripts for short films, stage plays and other small productions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The interface is very intuitive, allowing me to just write. The online storage and output options offer maximum flexibility. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I always like a "repeat formatting" button, rather than having to navigate back over and over down into a nested menu. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Working with producer in another country and time zone is terrific. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Self Employed
Media Production
What do you like best?

The site is very reliable and robust. I've used it for everything from student productions to professional video productions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the paid add-ons can be a little expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a student - check out the student discount option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Since AdobeStory has closed down, WriterDuet offers a fantastic alternative. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The program is designed to provide writers with a brilliant writing experience which surpasses that of much pricier programs. I love the collaborative options and production tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike, the UI was not the nicest to look at. But recently has been updated to be much nicer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Collaborative writing is the main one Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Grip and Electric
Entertainment
What do you like best?

This tool is easy to use and behaves how you would expect it to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The few times I've ran into issues or confusion the support staff quickly helped me with a solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows creators to focus on the creative end of storytelling rather focused on the nitty gritty of screenplay formatting or saving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

It's a simple Interface combined with a reliable system and a good design Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much, really I just wish there was a larger user base to make collaboration easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Really it's just about making the software simpler and faster so I can focus on the actual writing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

Font rendering with high quality, it looks like a pdf document Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it gets slow, it needs a better server plan Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can open the scripts are phone, computer and tablet, so I can write even travelling without my electronics, for example. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

WriterDuet has a practical user friendly interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love to see an advance training tutorials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love the way they have incorporated Google voice to allow me to "speak" dialogue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

I like that you can go back and forth between being online and offline. In addition, I like that it automatically saves your progress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I don't like is the price. If you chose to purchase the offline version, you have to make monthly payments but sometimes it can be a bit unnecessary for when you're done with a project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you install the latest updates. If you take long breaks in between each writing project don't buy the offline version. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am to see communicate efficiently with other writers and to see our progress. I realized that I am able to work faster by having the version offline so I can really focus on the project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
Education Management
What do you like best?

I love how I am able to collaborate with someone else in real time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to understand how to use it at first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Collaboration among students Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for WriterDuet?