Render Reviews & Product Details

Render Overview

What is Render?

Render is a unified platform to build and run all your apps and websites with free SSL, a global CDN, private networks and auto deploys from Git.

Render Details
Discussions
Render Community

Render is the easiest cloud for developers and teams to deploy any app or website.

Render
2018
San Francisco, California

Answer a few questions to help the Render community
Have you used Render before?

Render Reviews

Showing 30 Render reviews
Already have Render?
Co-founder and CEO
What do you like best?

Coming from Heroku, the first thing I noticed about Render was how everything about deployment seems to "just work". It's such a refreshing experience to be able to follow their documentation, pertaining to your specific deployment, and not have to then scour the internet looking for the actual way to deploy with their service.

Further, Render automates your site's HTTPS/SSL (TLS nowadays, hopefully) and integrates with GitHub. They also make restricting external access to your database a breeze — security feels powerful and easy to implement with Render (most of it is handled for you).

And, if you have a question, their support staff is informative, kind, and timely. It's truly made deployment feel a lot less like "deployment" and more like... "we're live!" Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike at all. Are there things I'd like to see? Absolutely, and they have a feature request page where you can track all feature requests and make your own.

Perhaps one feature, is the ability to manually control the storage time of database logs. By default, Render keeps the logs for approximately 1-week and then they are deleted. This is great from a data policy point of view, but leveraging a finer-grained control over your logs is going to be sought after for most organizations (perhaps you want them deleted after 48 hours?). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Spin them up and give it a try, it's about $14 a month to test drive with a working database and server instance. Worst case scenario, you're out $14 bucks for that month, best case scenario you just made deployment no longer a nightmare for your team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Render has made it a breeze for me to rapidly deploy and test in a live staging environment. Further, with the benefits of using Elixir, I can quickly and easily scale by adding additional hardware and resources to both my application service and database service with a few simple clicks of a button. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Tried first App Platform from Digital Ocean, but Render offers more capabilities at a similar price. You can create environment variables that can be shared between multiple services . If you need to, you can even host cron jobs or workers.

Another fact that should be mentioned is that the integration with GitHub makes deploying code really easy and the ability to host docker containers offers you a lot of options regarding what kind of service you want to host. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A free database tier would have been great for development environments. Also it would be nice if it would offer support for hosting Java services out of the box, but I guess this can be easily solved by creating a Dockerfile for your Java service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Render really helps me to focus on what really matters, writing code. Managing DevOps stuff can be pretty hard and usually takes a lot of time so this can really be a game changer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

As a full-stack javascript developer coming from Heroku, I'm blown away by ease-of-use and price. The dashboard is dead simple to use, but it still lets my personalize my services and configurations. Deploying is super easy. I have 2 services - a vue app and a node server - hosted on Render, and I paid like $6 last month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Render is relatively new, so it doesn't support all the same tech that larger hosting providers have. I've had some issues with deploys, but the team helped me get them resolved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm hosting my fronted + backend on render. I needed to deploy everything very quickly (needed to be rolled to production over a weekend), and I was able to get going on Render really quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Salesforce Developer
What do you like best?

Render is very easy to get started with and offers lots of options. Coming from Heroku, I have really liked the option for Environment Variable groups as well as the storage options. The customer support via slack is also really nice as I can chat with a human in real-time without having to create a ticket. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I need to restart the application or change an environment variable, it requires a full rebuild of my application before becoming live. It would be nice to not require a full rebuild as an option. In addition, my build process consumes a lot of memory and has exceeded a 4GB limit and was terminated without sufficient error messaging to let me know what the problem was and required insight from the support team. Finally, I would love to see more add-ons. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Render provides everything I need to build and deploy web applications without having to worry about my own infrastructure, proxy configurations, linux environments etc.. I have been able to develop and release products more quickly than I would if I had to manage my own infrastructure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Architecte logiciels
What do you like best?

I love the simplicity, linked to GitHub account so the repository discovery is automated and with just a pull i can deploy latest commit.

Easy to add env variable to environnement and the console show direct feedback and updating and installing package.

Very elegant Dashboard and amazing documentation with predefined template of different stack to use to deploy quick configuration and test. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't have a lot of experience for now, i tested Heroku and prefer Render by a large amount. Will comme back to it if i find any flaw. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm very new to the Jamstack world and found that render was the most direct (no hidden cost) service for my tinkering and later production environments.

Included CDN, Brotli compression, HTTP2 serving and automated SSL are amazing for a dev like me coming from full stack world where i have to manage all services myself.

I'm creating a full static e-commerce website with Strapi as a backend (hosted on Render, Node service with persistent Disk) and NuxtJS static e-commerce also served via Render static website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Really easy to deploy my next.js app as a node server. I like that it integrates with Github to automatically deploy PRs and latest merge to the main branch. I also love that it comes with zero downtime deploys on the cheapest instance. Something Heroku does not make available until you pay for the professional-grade servers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The service is pretty new so the documentation is pretty sparse. Additionally they only have 2 deploy regions, US West and Germany. My database is in a different region (US central) with a different provider so there is some roundtrip latency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I launched a low traffic next.js site on Vercel to use their easy serverless functions, but the low traffic meant every user was hitting a lambda cold start that was making the app very slow. Moving over to Render and deploying a node app has made my site load faster and saved me money with the lower monthly fee. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

For me, the ability to get almost instant support on Slack or Discourse is super valuable. I can discuss specifics with other Render users even with Render engineers. That's really useful and not a standard at all.

Also the fact, that it's rapidly evolving and improving is very promising. All the last tech and features are being implemented. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have a bit cheaper service tiers available, especially for preview environments and toy projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Thanks to Render I can focus on the stuff I really enjoy as an Elixir developer. Low level DevOps stuff is really not that. :-) If there's some feature I miss on Render, the chances are it is already on their roadmap and it is just a matter of month or two to have it available at my fingertips. If not, I can submit it as a feature request and I can be sure I will receive at least a reply. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

Render is the most simple platform to create static websites Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

By now, I dont dislike anything at all in render. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Render helped me to turn the dream of a blog to become reality and I have full control of it in a simple and clean interface. It doesnt charges me for this static blog and gives me the opportunity to point my own domain to the site.

The integration is so simple that I just had to authorize'em in my git project and set 2 commands to get a full working continuous deployment pipeline. I'm just amuzed Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Student Mentor
What do you like best?

It's so much more affordably priced and faster than Heroku. I think my project's response time was up to 30-70% faster on Render. And this is up to 70% cheaper than what Heroku offers for the same dyno specs (1GB RAM, etc)

The developer experience is also quite pleasant. There's a command line that's very speedy, and somehow much faster than heroku run console CLI Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much but that it's still lacking Pipelines (Continuous Integration) that Heroku offers. And lacking a more vibrant add-on ecosystem, which Heroku has. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Conveniently hosting my projects at a very affordable price. The benefits are that they're much cheaper and faster and the developer experience is almost, if not on par with Heroku. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

* Super simple deployment.

* Quick and easy setup for Ruby on Rails applications.

* You don't need to worry about SSL certificates, it's handled by you automatically.

* Uptime is impressive.

* Documentation is well written. Even beginners don't have a problem with the setup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

* Missing Cloud Object Storage. I would prefer to keep everything in one place but unfortunately, I had to use another provider for that.

* Missing ability to SSH into instances.

* Pricing for toy projects could be cheaper. To get a working basic Ruby on Rails app you need to pay for one service and one database. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

* Ruby on Rails apps deployment

* Git automatic deployment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Render is constantly adding new features to an already fully stacked hosting service and not just their own features, it appears they take an honest consideration into what their users want added because I constantly see the requests by us in the feedback area getting added to the roadmap.

Support is fantastic, infrastructure as code deployments, rollbacks, pull request previews, documentation "with" example code repositories, my favorite host by far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The logo and color... sorry :(

imho it should be something complimentary to the services or the "feeling" you get with the product; resilient, performant, trusted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

deployment time, uptime, performance, cost, list can go on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

I used render to create a cron job. It was pretty easy to use, and I got it up and running in 5 minutes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost. It's more expensive than other services for a cron job, but at $4 it's not breaking the bank or anything Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm solving a twitter bot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance full stack developer
What do you like best?

For a novice like my self, render was excellent, it was easy to set up and get going.

Its cheap, stable and support on slack is outstanding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The docs could imporve a bit, it has a few holes in it and are not as mature as lets say Heroku. But then again, you have exellent slack support! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It makes me go to production really fast, as a freelancer i don't have a dedicated dev ops team, render solves all my problems easy and cost effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Lead Software Engineer
What do you like best?

The simplicity to deploy and connect services with a matter of a couple clicks and a git push. The straightforward pricing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As a fairly new cloud provider there are a few things missing, like serverless functions and auto-scaling. But the team is very responsive and very feedback driven. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Render simplifies my deployments. I do not need to mess with virtual networks, ip adresses, doing a lot of configuration to simply connect a web app service to a database. It's also makes it very simple to deploy static websites with support for a lot of frameworks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Great support, easy to use, fair pricing and robust systems Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I a little more pricey than some other hosting option but it the price is fully justified by the excellent support and ease of use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Building a site for an Indie startup. The site works perfectly and is very fast. The flexible pricing structure is greatly appreciated. The simple and easy to use systems have allowed us to focus on our product instead of technical issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder & Product
What do you like best?

Simple to setup and easy integration with Github workflows. Supports Elixir. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Support teams don't seem to work in EU hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helps speed up Elixir / Phoenix deployments painlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the ease of configuration, specially when it comes to attaching services to each other Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing really, hoping they continue growing and add extra features like CDN or etc, but for now they do exactly what they promise, and they do it well Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I started using render when i needed quick test environments for my application. The benefits were super quick deployment times, and a super quick onboarding process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

J
What do you like best?

Everything is easy and the pricing is fair. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have serverless support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Static site hosting, api hosting and Db hosting from you one supplier. Preview builds for PR reviews that include the whole stack. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CTO
What do you like best?

Straight-forward to use. Out-of-the-box Elixir support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Small add-ons offer. Constant issues with the build cache. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bootstrapping a digital product without having to worry too much about infrastructure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The UX is very pleasant and intuitive. An environment available for each Git branch is also very nice to have for testing purpose.

Automatic SSL is great too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Render is a relatively new service compared to other PaaS so you might encounter obscure edge cases sometimes but the support is very quick to answer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Join their Slack ;) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We want to deploy Elixir/Phoenix applications. Render integrates these natively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO & Founder
What do you like best?

I really like that Render had pre-configured environments for building a Flask app. Plus, it has deploy hooks for new pushes to Github. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You can't run tests before deploying (or at least I can't figure it out). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We wanted a really simple deploy process that would also make sure that our services kept running smoothly. Render satisfies both! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that you can spin up db instances or services with a few clicks and a few details. Their support is top notch and responsive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you move a repo, it takes reaching out to support to fix. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have spun up DBs and APIs. They make it very simple to do any of them and the documentation is really good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Development Manager
What do you like best?

Pull requests and hosted Postgres is what has saved me the most time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not cheap and sometimes you want to pile more things together Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go to the Slack channel if you have any problems. The team is super responsive Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I want to focus on solving business problems, not setting up servers and services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The speed and free static deploys, and the documentation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

$7 per month for services seems slightly high. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm looking for very fast deploys and integrations at low cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

Simple to set up, while having enough configuration available (via infrastructure as code) to satisfy our needs. Tonnes of guides for various tools and frameworks. Feedback driven and super helpful support on Slack 💯 Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I dislike, just features that I'd love to see added: audit log for teams, mandatory 2FA for teams, restrictions on who has permission to modify / delete the database, and horizontal database scaling (like on RDS with a cluster of read replicas). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We don't need to touch any complex infrastructure with many levels of abstraction and obscure services. Render gives us a super simple way to deploy our applications so we can focus on building our product, not on messing around with infrastructure Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.