Pear Deck Reviews & Product Details

Pear Deck Overview

What is Pear Deck?

Create beautiful interactive lessons, presentations, and assessments to engage every student.

Pear Deck Details

Pear Deck
2014
Iowa City, IA
@PearDeck
Answer a few questions to help the Pear Deck community
Have you used Pear Deck before?

Pear Deck Reviews

Showing 27 Pear Deck reviews
Already have Pear Deck?
Teacher
UE
What do you like best?

I love that I can turn my Google slides or Powerpoints into interactive tools. It has been extremely valuable during Hybrid model school. I also love the variety of options in Peardeck for them to answer questions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that my Google Slide animations don't work on Pear deck. I also especially don't like that showing video clips within a presentation causes problems, even with the upgrade. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Preview your presentation before showing it AFTER converting it to PearDeck, even if you have used it before. Too many times have I had an unpleasant surprise when I didn't preview

Also, make sure you have 2 devices. You need 1 to project and the other to watch responses Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love the engagement piece of Peardeck. I will continue to use it in class and hope that some of the problems that I have been having (lagging, poor quality video, kids kicked off) are due to the variance of different internet systems (home vs school etc) I would be willing to report back after we use it here all on the same network. It has helped me keep kids engaged in a lesson, even when we were not in school. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Substitute Teacher
What do you like best?

What I like best about Pear Deck is that it is excellent interactive software for teachers to convert slideshows into interactive, hands-on lessons. It is perfect for formative assessment as I check for students' understanding of the content material they are learning throughout the lesson. I can even use the teacher dashboard to check my students' work, which can lead to more opportunities for reteaching or giving minilessons if necessary. Additionally, I love your options for being in the instructor or self-paced mode, making Pear Deck perfect for synchronous AND asynchronous learning Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that the advanced functions of Pear Deck are available with a subscription that is quite pricey! Luckily, the school district that I student teach in purchased a Pear Deck subscription for its teachers, otherwise, I would not have the ability to use its advanced features. Additionally, I dislike that you must have a Google account to access Pear Deck. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend that others use the Pear Deck add-on for their Google Slides presentations and use the self-paced option for asynchronous learning. The instructor pace setting is excellent for giving presentations and formative assessment in real-time. The possibilities are limitless in creating engaging content to assess students and ensure they meet content-specific learning goals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Pear Deck, my students are more engaged. It is truly excellent software to use for distance and remote learning. It includes interactivity to better engage this digital generation of students who are tech-savvy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

I teach high school French, and in this time of online education, teaching a foreign language digitally has been difficult. PearDeck, which I was recently referred to, helps me bring back the engagement and interaction into my class for the physical students in the classroom and the digital students at home. I love the Flashcard Factory, in which the students receive terms that we've been working on. Then, in pairs, students create a picture that best illustrates that term and write a sentence that conveys its meaning/use. As a teacher, I can see the progress of the teams on screen. The final component of this activity is the acceptance/rejection phase, in which the teacher (perhaps with the help of the students) rate and provide feedback on each submission, accepting those that work and rejecting those that don't. It's about quality control. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't been working with PearDeck long enough to find some real issues; however, I would say that I don't like the fact that I cannot--or at least don't know to--pick up where we left off in the Flashcard Factory or the guided presentations. We either have to start over, or I have to make a second set that picks up where the students left off. Sometimes, it's difficult for me to gauge how many terms are enough for the length of class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While I have used it only for a foreign language, I'm sure that it has it's benefits in other subject areas. I recommend this product to anyone who wants to find an interactive way of quickly assessing what their students know while also having the students somewhat enjoy it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PearDeck is bringing the interaction and life back into my class. The first time that I used it, students were clearly having fun with it and actually laughing and learning at the same time. The interactive presentation component allows me to give live feedback to students as they complete various brief tasks, like translations or sentence-building. I can quickly see who has it and who doesn't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Ease of use - choose from the extensive Pear Deck template library or add on to existing slides presentations with an interactive question Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the template slides seem like they are for K-8 level students in the graphics, but this is a minor dislike. All the templates are editable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Invest in the premium features. If there is one tool we recommend to our teachers and that has been received well, it's Pear Deck. The Take Aways alone are worth the premium subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With students learning both in person and online, this is a way to present to both groups at the same time. There's a "forced engagement" rather than sitting there hoping the students are paying attention to your presentation. Also, there is a self-paced mode so students can go through the presentation on their own if they are absent (or this feature can be used as a pre- or post- assessment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Instant engagement for students and easy to tell who is and who is not engaged Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Inability to export answers while a session is still alive. But I often need to keep sessions live for absent students or people who have not yet finished. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Until they update some functionality and features it’s honestly pretty limited in terms of what It can do. It only does one thing and it does it pretty well, but until there are more granular controls over student pacing and the ability to better export student data and answers I might look elsewhere Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Distance learning in education. The benefits I have realized are an easier ability to pinpoint students who are engaging versus not engaging and students who are understanding material versus not understanding material Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

Pear Deck is a great interactive tool that is very easy to use with Google Slides. Students are engaged with the content area being taught and it enables higher level thinking skills. I recommend using it with Grades 4 and up, but it's possible to use with younger grades with well-taught routines and expectations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to use with younger children because they can be easily distracted, but Pear Deck has the capability to lock screens which will solve the problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Students are more engaged than in a typical lecture or slide show. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
What do you like best?

Pear Deck is super easy to use, just like a powerpoint but so much better! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes wants to be with Google tooooo much, I love just Pear Deck! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Classroom management, student engagement, it works for all! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Peardeck is an amazing tool for keeping students focused and engaged during a lesson. Teachers are able to control the screens in a 1:1 classroom, students can see the material clearly on their own screens without being near the board, and students and teachers can interact via the spot check quizzes and polls. I love that it is integrated with Google Slides! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If your school isn't 1:1 it could be an issue. Also, when you are 1:1 it is hard to find an alternative for those that have forgotten their device or let it die. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Peardeck allows easy formative assessments along the way during a lesson. This allows teachers to have data on the exact effect of the lesson. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

Interactive PowerPoint for kids to follow along with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have to open it on Google Drive for my district. It sometimes blocks me from doing so at home. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the guide PowerPoint templates Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student engagement. Students are excited and feedback is immediate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I came upon paired that quite accidentally. I used to make kids copy my power points before class so they would get the notes then I had a parent complain about taking notes so I need to come up with an idea for the kids to be involved in the notetaking. Pair deck was introduced to me to do just this. I put my slideshow right on to the pear deck website and it allows students to be very interactive with the notes so as I’m lecturing representing a new concept to them they will be able to use different tools on their own chrome box as they sit there to listen and make sure that they get all of the notes plus they’re adding in their learning as we’re going through it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The one thing or the one negative thing I have to say about pair that is sometimes it can be a little distracting sometimes the kids are a little off balance and they may start drawing on it or do you laying on it and I don’t want them to do that so it’s more of something I have to keep a track of that and just to let them kind a have three years as were learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Again I use it to solve problems like being able to have access to my notes and the students are interactive and learning as were going through a PowerPoint on a specific concept usually it’s a grammar concepts or something like that that they can grasp through the PowerPoint. I have not used it in the terms of with my other colleagues however I have shown it to my other colleagues and they are adapting to it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like how I can assess my students knowledge immediately with feedback to students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish on projection view when students comment I could see who is commenting, or delete comments Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great interaction with students and great formative assessment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using everyday in my classroom! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Math Teacher
What do you like best?

I like the ability to lockdown the browser so students can't surf around on their computer. I also like the features that allow all students to submit answers to the same question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's time-consuming to create presentations in Pear Deck. PowerPoint and Pear Deck don't always interact very well, and making a presentation from start to finish in Pear Deck can take an incredibly long time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

At school, Pear Deck helps to keep everyone focused. In addition, Pear Deck makes it so that students are following along individually, holding them accountable for their learning. Students are more actively engaged because there are questions and small activities throughout the presentation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

What I like best about Pear Deck is the many options I have as a presenter in my classroom. I can present information at my place or I can allow students to control the pace individually. Additionally, I can insert survey or multiple choice questions for real time feedback! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Many of the question choice options were preset and didn't allow me much creativity. It may have been a a bandwidth problem but there was lagging issues during the presentation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If individual student interaction is what you are looking for, Pear Deck is for you! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Pear Deck allows me to push a presentation to each of my students which removes the need for close proximity to the front of the room for visually impaired students unnecessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Assistant
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Pear Deck allows teachers to display multiple student responses which support facilitation of open-ended conversations. You can also share your presentations (or notes) with students, so they have instant study guides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only one or two student responses show up at a time, so it's challenging to discuss more than one student response at a time. The equation editor is lacking. It's not easy to use Pear Deck in math classes (especially Geometry). It's also difficult to construct shapes with the current drawing tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great product to use in your classrooms if students do not need to create diagrams or use much mathematics notation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Pear Deck is a tool that supports open-ended student discussion. It also allows students to interact directly with mathematics tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technology & Digital Services Librarian and Professor of Legal Research
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Pear Deck has had a makeover in recent weeks and is working hard to keep up with the many competitor software in the interactive slideshow realm - being directly connected to your Google Drive account is a plus since you can grab your files from the Google Drive rather than start from scratch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am still receiving error messages whenever I attempt to start a new deck. Hopefully the bugs and glitches will be smoothed out now that the new version has been launched. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Couple Pear Deck with other softwares such as Google Classroom or Nearpod to enhance the 21st century classroom feel. Also let the company know you are an educator and are exploring alternative software for your class and you will be able to get a trial to their premium plan for a year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Pear Deck is another interactive tool I use in my upper-level law course to engage the students' participation. Boring PowerPoint slides can no longer keep the attention of my students, most of whom are millennials, and Pear Deck introduces a new way to keep their eyes glued to the screen and the students feel like there is more at stake for them when viewing a Pear Deck lesson and answering questions from the slides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love the various options that I can use for students to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding. I have been using it for formative assessments, and the options to write, illustrate, pick answers, etc. are wonderful. It is so easy and straightforward to use! I also love that I can project student work without showing their names so that we can learn together. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish some of the options were available in the free version, such as the drawing tool. I also wish there was a way to save the illustrations that students submit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for a straightforward tool for formative assessments that also engages students, this is a great tool! I love all the different options that you can use to help students demonstrate their learning and understanding. Wonderful tool. :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love to use Pear Deck for formative assessments, and it's helped me gain instant data and give instant feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

Slide decks are so often boring and lesson life-drainers, especially for students, Not only is Pear Deck not boring, but its built in interactivity makes it useful as a learning tool, and a way to see where students (and adults!) are in a presentation, and to get valuable information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Integration with other systems--like Google Slides and Powerpoint, can be tough, and importing decks you've already made doesn't always go smoothly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get good at building slides in Pear Deck, and using the interactivity features, rather than building them in another software and trying to import. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Presenting slides is hard, especially when you need to keep them lively and engaging. With Pear Deck, I can build in places where the people I'm presenting to interact, and it gives me valuable information about students or the people in workshops. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

Able to add questions, polls, and other items to a Google Slides presentation to get instant feedback from audience. Also, they've added a vocabulary tool that is excellent for students to use to build Quizlets they can study from Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My only wish would be the cost would be a little lower but it is totally justified with how great the tool is Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Provides instant feedback on audiences understanding of a topic and allows you to differentiate for your audience Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love that I can see individual student responses and tailor my Pear Decks to exactly what they need. Students can interact with little social risk and can feel free to make mistakes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This technology works wonderfully for the traditional math or reading teachers, however it does not work as well for music and other subjects. I find myself having to think out of the box to be able to use this software in the way I would like to use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I love that PEar Deck has everything saved for me and I can use it from year to year. I wish there were more tools available for interaction though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our school has 1:1 technology. Pear Deck is a way for us to utilize these tools in a meaningful way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

This product allows you to engage students by polling, integrating quick formative assessments, and competition. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This product can be bit pricey for educators Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you area Google Suits for Education user, this product is available as an add on in the add-on's section in Google Slides. This is an AWESOME tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This product helps to keep down with students not being on task during whole group lecture and instructions. It helps to keep students on pace with the teacher. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Architectural Designer
Architecture & Planning
What do you like best?

The interface is very simple, and I like the connectivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not as good for conference calls and large international bases, would need a more advanced platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Great for showing images and slides, and also for receiving info, but needs more work for conference calls. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

PearDeck makes it really easy for to engage the classroom with the material through interactive questions. It's a great way to see if the material is being retained and processed and to have discussions on topics that matter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be a little bit clunky at first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Particularly in larger classrooms, it is difficult to quickly assess how well the material is being learned and what areas are challenging. PearDeck helps to narrow that down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

Easy application for teachers to quickly turn their powerpoint into interactive and engaging presentation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Slide editing ability once Google slides or PPT is imported into Pear Deck. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Turning boring classroom lectures into interactive presentations with instant feedback from students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

The ability to save information for later data disaggregation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost to have certain features, especially the higher level questioning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Data collection for formative assessment in the classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.