gedit Reviews & Product Details

gedit Overview

What is gedit?

gEdit is a general purpose text editor that includes internationalized text, syntax highlighting, undo/redo, file reverting, print and print preview support and more.

gedit Details
Discussions
gedit Community

GNOME Foundation
1997
Orinda, CA
@gnome

gedit Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the gedit community
Have you used gedit before?

gedit Reviews

Showing 52 gEdit reviews
Already have gedit?
Senior Software Developer
What do you like best?

Another suitable component is of small length: it could run fast on both low-end PCs and excessive computing devices. This is good for customers who are more open to operating with GUI, rather than organizing mechanical line assemblies. It can work your code, or really cross as a spell checker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't give an accurate explanation of why, but it also doesn't seem very polished, possibly due to the default font or inherited color alternatives. I discovered that gedit is a way too simple and I have strange default options. I also want there to be more git guidance and shading problems to make the code more readable and less difficult to navigate and manage versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Text editor integrated into Unix operating systems, for what it is, a simple text editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It includes my code and makes me more beneficial. It allows me to easily edit files, using the mouse. I also use it when I need to update sentences in a document, since it is easier to do it with VIM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Developer
What do you like best?

It is easy to use, it is a good tool for searching and replacing, it has the auto saved for data security, it has the option to be able to edit how the text looks and you can search for spelling mistakes, use little memory and CPU and that allows read very large logs without major problem Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that upsets me since it is a staple in my day Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The application is designed to work on X Window System, using the GTK + and GNOME libraries, has a clear and clean graphic interface and has a multi-language corrector Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows me to make from drafts for my emails, to my schedules that I get to do for some update of pages or the creation of others, it also allows me to save links of my work to have them all at hand, I also use it to save the main ideas that I get to have a project or job Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

System Administrator
What do you like best?

Gedit is a text editor, and I can also use it for coding, because Gedit support syntax highlighting , and that makes it more useful for coding. it also has all the other basic options like Goto Line ,find and replace. And I really like the option to insert the date and time that is a really good option. It also has a Spell checking feature that helps me check the words that I typed. I can also customise the keyboard shortcuts. And Gedit has a cross platform support, so we can install Gedit on Windows,Mac and Linux. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Opening a Folder in gedit is kinda tricky, and the only option is to open the entire file browser structure and find the folder from there. other than that I really like gedit as a text editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a Linux user then gedit comes preinstalled on your computer, so you don't have to install, but the installation is also very easy. and Its a good text editor , And gedit got a fast response when you open it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Gedit as a Text Editor and also use it to write shell scripts when I use it on Linux, and I can run gedit as admin too , so when I edit system files gedit is really helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

Gedit got all the text editor options and also syntax highlighting for code. I like the customisation options , we can change fonts and themes or we can just import a theme/colour scheme file.And Gedit got some nice tools that we can use like find and replace,grid, line numbers and goto line. One other thing that I really like is the keyboard shortcuts , I really like that I can customise the keyboard shortcuts as my needs. There are some plugins too that we can make it enable and use as some extra features in Gedit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I noticed that there is no option to install plugins from online, and I expected some more colour schemes that we can choose from without importing new theme files. Other than that I liked how gedit works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gedit is really good for taking notes and for coding too, and its so easy to install and its always pre installed on Ubuntu OS. So if you don't already have it then, You should install it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gedit is a good text editor to save code snippets. easy to open and type some code and we can change the syntax highlighting manually to that really convenient. and that made our work easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Encargado de redes sociales
What do you like best?

Es fácil de utilizar, es una buena herramienta para hacer búsqueda y reemplazo, tiene el auto guardado para seguridad de datos, tiene a opción para poder editar como se ve el texto y puedes buscar faltas de ortografía, usa poca memoria y CPU y que permite leer logs muy grandes sin mayor problema Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No hay nada que me disguste ya que es un básico en mi día Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

La aplicación está diseñada para funcionar sobre X Window System, usando las librerías GTK+ y GNOME, tiene un interfas gráfico claro y limpio y cuenta con corrector multi-idioma Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Me permite realizar desde borradores para mis correos, hasta mis programaciones que llego hacer para alguna actualización de paginas o la creación de otras, también me permite guardar enlaces de mi trabajo para tenerlos todos a la mano, también lo utilizo para guardar las ideas principales que llego a tener en algún proyecto o trabajo Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

It is a good text editor that complements very well with Linux, has many notable features that make it excellent, such as:

Undo redo.

Revert files.

Spelling correction

Go to specific line.

Text wrap.

Current line highlighted.

Configurable fonts and colors.

Online user manual, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Loading becomes very slow with large files and it takes a long time to respond. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend it, it's easy to install, compatible with Linux, Ubuntu and Windows, it's free.

I use it with Linux and they complement each other very well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Thanks to this tool that consumes few resources, allows us to have several documents open, I can also take notes and add the date and time, so I can quickly locate them without any problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tech Support
What do you like best?

I like the option to insert date and time, and we can choose the format of the date , or we can add custom format type too. The option to change keyboard shortcuts is a really good feature and it helped me a lot. and gedit has find and replace, goto line and spelling check. I really like the option to change the theme and there are bunch of themes that we can choose from and i really like those themes, and we can also import other colour scheme files to gedit. And the quick open option let us open the recent files from history. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can't install any plugins from online from the settings , we can only choose from what they already given.

We can access a 'File browser' in gedit from the side panel, but there is no option to open just a folder in gedit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its really good for taking notes, and you can install gedit on Linux, Windows and Mac. and it works really good,and you can also code using gedit because it has syntax highlighting for lots of languages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

gedit is really useful when it comes to taking notes, And with the date and time adding feature , I was able to take notes with current date and time and I save it, so all of my notes have the date and time of the note created. So that really helps me to find the date of a note easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PHP Developer
What do you like best?

This is the best editor for Linux, its easy to install and use. It can be also used as a code editor because we can open a project as a folder to Gedit and start editing , gedit has a good syntax highlighting too, so that makes it a good code editor. And gedit has find and replace, word wrap,line numbers and some plugins too. We can also change the look from the settings there are some theme options in the settings and we can also change the editors font style and size. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is no option to install plugin from online, we can only choose from the plugins from the list they gave us. Its really hard to find the keyboard shortcuts for some functions and tools in gedit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linux users should try Gedit, because you can use it as a text editor or if you are a programmer , you can use it as a code editor too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

To do dome quick edits of the codes , I use gedit, because gedit is so faster than some other editors. and I use gedit as a note saver too Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

DevOps Engineer
What do you like best?

its was very easy to use. it was mainly supported for Linux, Ubuntu and windows . Mainly it was supported all programming languages like java ,C,C+,HTML etc for writing coding and configurable syntax highlighting.Its also supports configuration file for viewing and editing.And its very simple GU interface and simply access. mainly it was supported international-zed text .it having undo redo option are presented for get back or deleted text purpose.Its will supports colour fonts ,bracket matching and line numbers also presented for text/coding so we can easily identify the mistake/bugs in file. we can create empty files also using gedit . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In gedit text editor there is no attractive/effective GUI and all option like same as regular editors. There is no auto saving options. and its look like old tool editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this editor my colleagues and its is free of cost and is to use . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm resolving numbers off issues using gedit. Presently I was using machine Ubuntu machine so i want open and edit any file I using gedit only. i configure some servers configuration using gedit editor only Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ingeniero DevOS
What do you like best?

Otro componente adecuado es de pequeña longitud: podría ejecutarse rápido tanto en PC de bajo cese como en dispositivo de computación de paro excesivo. Esto es bueno para los clientes que están más abiertos a operar con GUI, en lugar de organizar ensamblajes mecánicos de línea. Puede funcionar su código, o realmente cruzar como un corrector ortográfico. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No puedo dar una explicación precisa de por qué, pero además no parece muy pulida, posiblemente debido a la fuente predeterminada o las alternativas de color heredadas. Descubrí que gedit es una forma demasiado simple y tengo opciones predeterminadas extrañas. También quiero que haya una mayor guía de git y problemas de sombreado para hacer que el código sea más legible y menos difícil de navegar y administrar versiones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Editor de texto integrado en los sistemas operativos Unix, para lo que es, un simple editor de textos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Incluye mi código y me hace ser más beneficioso me permite editar archivos fácilmente, el uso del mouse También lo uso cuando necesito actualizar frases en un documento, ya que es más fácil hacerlo con VIM Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Internet
What do you like best?

Edit text files easily and user friendly. It provide block highlight and find and replace feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It only provide support for text file edit. Except its best helpful in edit text files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to edit text files with easily than its best suitable software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Edit text files and block identification in text file is best part of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dylan Miller
What do you like best?

Gedit has some features that make it great. It includes syntax highlighting that allows to markup the different parts of the code files, that it's very useful to develop. But it also include the posibility of work with multiples tabs for editing simultaneous files or for example you can undo and redo along all changes that you do, not just the most recent. In general it's a very good rich text editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

On the other hand, it is a very simple program, which does not have a lot of power to do certain tasks, such as working with third-party plugins, nor can you compare files side by side or compile from the same editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gedit is a great text editor that includes a lot of advanced features that make it a powerful text editor. It's available for free in all Linux distributions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In general I use Gedit because it is a graphic text editor that meets my requirements. I usually develop code from it, as well as edit configuration files or the system files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

software developer
What do you like best?

its really simple to use, have nice langauge to code and its accessible Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

the interface its to much simple and dont offers a lot of tools to code Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

its simple to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

develop in some program language Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Simple and easy to call in ubuntu system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not so good Gui.

No support

Not dynamic Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use to write programs when i dont to open heavy duty editors Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Edit text files is great part of it. It support blocks in code. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It only support text files not video or audio files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to edit text files easily that its best suitable for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Edit text files is best part of it in easily and user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Android Developer
What do you like best?

Edit files easily and maintain it. Best software to edit files, maintainable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing except it handles only text files. It cannot support video etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best software to edit files and manage them with ease. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

View and edit text files easily. Its best suitable if you are new in software learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PhD Student
What do you like best?

- Easy to use

- Pre-installed is most Linux/Unix/MacOS

- Language support

- Portability: Available in Windows/Linux/MacOS

- Free Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- Not many extensions

- Not many hotkeys and hotkey customization available

- Could be more customizable and powerful

- Basically, an open-source version of notepad Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Simple and powerful text editor for MacOS, Linux and Windows. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Text editor, program editor, note taking Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Gedit is a simple text editor that has gained popularity and now is the graphic text editor by default in many distributions. Before it was exclusive to Gnome, hence the name, g-edit.

It is simple but fulfills its function, it allows you to open any type of plain text file without problems, it is fast and has useful functions to search within the text or replace words. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As negative points, I find that it would be very useful to be in charge of making the indentation automatically according to the type of file, other similar applications do it without problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gedit es muy útil para editar en forma rápida cualquier tipo de archivo de texto. Es sencillo pero fácil de usar y efectivo. Viene por defecto en casi todas las distribuciones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gedit is a tool that is used for everything in the day to day, since it is the default text viewer, so any file that I open is with Gedit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

gEdit is a totally featured substance apparatus for Linux. Not at all like other substance altering instruments, for instance, nano and vim, gEdit gives you a magnificent and straightforward interface. This is ideal for customers who are more open to working with GUIs as opposed to arrange line mechanical assemblies. gEdit is adaptable, so it has features for the two originators and standard customers. It can highlight your code, or just go about as a spell-checker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

gEdit mimics various uncommon features of more master content altering instruments, it doesn't have the ability to set edges and plan the configuration. So it may not be sensible for making articles and such. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I prescribe gedit to anyone who does not have to use VIM or another further created content administrator, or for any person who needs to make a specific discharge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I'm creating code, I can open various tabs and bob transversely over different archives. It includes my code and causes me be more beneficial. For instance, I can look at the standard work in a program and after that open the header archive in another tab and analyze the other limit executions meanwhile. There's basically no basic strategy for doing this with nano or vim. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

gEdit is a completely included content manager for Linux. Not at all like other content editing instruments, for example, nano and vim, gEdit gives you a delightful and easy to use interface. This is perfect for clients who are more open to working with GUIs instead of order line devices. gEdit is flexible, so it has highlights for the two engineers and standard clients. It can feature your code, or simply go about as a spell-checker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While gEdit emulates numerous extraordinary highlights of more expert word processing instruments, it does not have the capacity to set edges and arrange the design. So it may not be reasonable for composing expositions and such. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In case you're a product designer hoping to make speedy change to the code and examine existing code, gEdit is for you. Anyway there are better instruments accessible on the off chance that you are creating starting with no outside help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I'm composing code, I can open numerous tabs and hop crosswise over various documents. It features my code and encourages me be more profitable. For example, I can take a gander at the primary capacity in a program and after that open the header document in another tab and examine the other capacity executions in the meantime. There's simply no simple method for doing this with nano or vim. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is extremely simple to use for new client, Gedit is generalny preinstalled on any little person based work area so we dont need to do anyrhing to begin utilizing them. Other good thing is little size - it can run quick both on low end pc and top of the line work area. Proofreader has additionally punctuation featuring so can be easly used to programmig little applications. Module framework is extraordinary, client can expand capacity of editorial manager at whatever point he need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Its not useful for gigantic activities, its difficult to deal with a bunches of records and organizers. Out of box its not coordinated with Git framework promotion doesnt have record list toolbar. Opening colossal records can is incomprehensible on the grounds that proofreader is endeavoring to stack everyrhing into RAM(vim can stack it with no issues even on low spec pcs). Its additionally producing refuse records with tilde at the finishes, client need to add section to gitignore or cripple it in settings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Introduce heaps of module to broaden usefulness of editorial manager Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Its free so I had not to purchased any permit. I can utilize it in business items and acquaint new clients with this program is quick Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Developer
What do you like best?

Gedit is the typical plain text editor of Linux like Notepad is in Windows. Gedit has some features that normally you don't expect in a plain text editor: It has an advanced search and word replace, document statistics, syntax highlighting, that enable programming like in a IDE compatible with almost all languages. Other thing that matters for me is that works with tabs, it's basic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As negative things, Gedit does not save a temporary file while you are writting, then if the computer stops sudentlly you lost all unsaved work. In a future versions, would be great an option to compile the codes from the same window of Gedit,. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gedit it's the best text editor for developers and normal users that needs a simple program to take notes.

It works with all file formats, you can save in any format your files. Also it's available by default in all Linux systems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Gedit to develop C++ programs from Ubuntu computer. It's perfect for me because I can develop with the code formatted with the correct spaces and a color schema applied to the code, that helps me to find errors and read the code easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sysadmin
What do you like best?

The best of Gedit is that it's always available and it's the default viewer in Linux systems. When you needs to modify some configuration files or read a log, Gedit it's a good option.

It's very simple and easy to use and fore some tasks it's really efficient, for example to search patterns and replace words. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's very simple and you can not pretend to do something special. There aren't much keyboard shortcuts and you needs mouse for do almost everything Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a plain text editor that it's always available in your Linux to edit any text file. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use to read some system logs and to modify little parts of codes. Also I use it when I want to replace words in a document because it's easier than do it with VIM Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

gEdit es un aparato de substancias totalmente equipado para Linux. No en absoluto como otros instrumentos de alteración de sustancias, por ejemplo, nano y VIM, gEdit le da una interfaz magnífica y directa. Esto es ideal para los clientes que están más abiertos a trabajar con las formas en lugar de organizar conjuntos mecánicos de línea. gEdit es adaptable, por lo que tiene características para los dos originadores y clientes estándar. Puede resaltar su código, o simplemente ir como un corrector ortográfico. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

gEdit imita varias características poco comunes de más instrumentos de alteración de contenido maestro, no tiene la capacidad de establecer bordes y planificar la configuración. Por lo que puede no ser sensato para hacer artículos y tales Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Le prescribo gedit a cualquier persona que no tenga que usar Vim u otro administrador de contenido creado, o para cualquier persona que necesite hacer una descarga específica. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cuando estoy creando código, puedo abrir varias fichas y Bob transversalmente sobre diferentes archivos. Incluye mi código y me hace ser más beneficioso. Por ejemplo, puedo mirar el trabajo estándar en un programa y después de que abra el archivo de encabezado en otra pestaña y analizar las otras ejecuciones de límite mientras tanto. Básicamente no hay una estrategia básica para hacer esto con nano o VIM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

gEdit is a completely included substance mechanical assembly for Linux. Not in the least like other substance modifying instruments, for example, nano and vim, gEdit gives you a superb and clear interface. This is perfect for clients who are more open to working with GUIs rather than mastermind line mechanical congregations. gEdit is versatile, so it has highlights for the two originators and standard clients. It can feature your code, or simply go about as a spell-checker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

gEdit copies different phenomenal highlights of more ace substance adjusting instruments, it doesn't be able to set edges and plan the setup. So it may not be sensible for making articles and such. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I endorse gedit to any individual who does not need to utilize VIM or another further made substance overseer, or for any individual who needs to make a particular release. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I'm making code, I can open different tabs and weave transversely over various chronicles. It incorporates my code and causes me be more useful. For example, I can take a gander at the standard work in a program and after that open the header chronicle in another tab and break down as far as possible executions in the interim. There's fundamentally no essential system for doing this with nano or vim. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.