Ultiboard Reviews & Product Details

Ultiboard Overview

What is Ultiboard?

Ultiboard is printed circuit board design and layout software that integrates seamlessly with Multisim to accelerate PCB prototype development. Ultiboard software offers efficient PCB design layout and routing with a customizable environment. You can use its flexible tools to place parts and copper with manual precision to define critical board elements. With its automated functionality, you can quickly complete a design. The advanced spreadsheet view, toolbox, and design wizards help you easily manage, control, and define any board layout. Seamless integration with Multisim software provides simple schematic transfer to PCB, and forward and backward annotation ensures design iteration management. You can easily export industry-standard file formats such as Gerber and DXF to complete the design flow from schematic to layout

Ultiboard Details

NI
Ownership
NASDAQ: NATI
1976
Austin, TX
@NIglobal
8,140 employees on LinkedIn®
Answer a few questions to help the Ultiboard community
Have you used Ultiboard before?

Ultiboard Reviews

Showing 21 Ultiboard reviews
Already have Ultiboard?
What do you like best?

Most of the PCB design softwares are more complex for beginners. The best thing about Ni Ultiboard is its simplicity. It is as simple as beginners can use it easily. At the same time, they can design complex PCB circuits. We can manually manipulate copper layers of the circuit. we can manually change or create footprints for existing or new components that we add to our design. We can also add new packages to Ni Ultiboard. One more thing that I like most is its ability to transfer our design form Ni Ultiboard to Ni Multisim in order to check our design response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One of the downsides of NI Ultiboard is its incomplete circuit wiring during auto-routing. When we use auto-route, I have experienced that mostly it completes up to 85 to 90%. Sometimes it performs an excellent job during auto-routing and generates its 100%. One more thing that the software should have to do, as soon as we complete our design there should be an option which shows total power losses that occur in our PCB design with respect to a specified current, a specified copper layer thickness. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

One should have to try it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am designing printed circuit boards (PCB) for my projects. Currently, I am working on multilevel inverter design with SiC MOSFETs, Home Automation. I use Ni Ultiboard because it is easy to use, has precise dimensions, has 3D preview for our designed circuits. We can also transfer our project form Ni Ultiborad to Ni Multisim and vice versa. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Power Electronics Intern
What do you like best?

The part shoving feature made my work a lot easier. I could make PCBs within strict design standards in no time.

The in-place part edit feature is a life saver. Many times during design stage we come across irregularities in the footprint for a particular model. It takes quite some time to go back and change it in the database and resume with the work again. The in-place part edit just lets me edit the footprint on the board itself saving me valuable time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't select a trace on an individual layer even if I am working on the intended layer. All the traces inside the selection area get selected even if they are all on separate layers.

I also want to be able to scroll more easily using just my mouse.

The net names aren't visible until I zoom in a great deal to the intended area on the PCB. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ultiboard has made it a lot simpler for me to design my products. I can easily transfer my simulation schematic from Multisim to Ultiboard and get on with designing.

The software takes some getting used to but that is the case with every other pcb designing software on the market today. Ultiboard makes it a hell of a lot easier for me to design my PCBs.

You should give the software a try and check out their part shoving and in pace part edit features as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am designing sub 100 Watt power supplies using Ultiboard. The power supplies are usually flyback converters with three winding transformers. With ultiboard the final pacement of the transformer is very easy. I can easily change swap the winding terminals, move around the pins and even make the bobbing size smaller!

All thanks to the in-place part edit feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Documentation Engineer
What do you like best?

Ultiboard is effective. It can and will get a circuit board designed for printing. It's helpful that it can generate the connections for the user while also allowing tweaking or full blown customizations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Ultiboard may not be the most user-friendly application in existence today. The icons can get a little cluttered. The indicators such as a <= 90 degree angle in routes can be thin and easily missed if you're not looking for them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Currently, I'm not solving any major problems with Ultiboard. I have used it to create my own PCBs for little side and home improvement projects, which has been quite the lifesaver. Sometimes, a circuit board in a kitchen appliance gets on the fritz, and we need to repair it. Other times, I want to create my own appliance such as a semi-automated bartender. It's useful for quick, small jobs. I have yet to use it for multi-layered projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Account Manager
What do you like best?

Best software for the PCB circuit and design. I mainly used it when I was an engineering student in electronic courses and exams. The software was straightforward to use, even for students, and with minimum supervision and lecturers' assistance. With this software, I managed to create a multiple-layer circuit with reasonable time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- The software GUI looks a bit retro, especially with the current time.

- Finding electronic components also a bit tedious, and the search must be accurate.

- The simulation was sometimes not working or accurate for the complicated circuit, and it took me some time to find the root cause.

- There are also fewer documentations and helps with the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are other circuit board design and layout software in the market; however, I would suggest using Ultiboard, primarily for engineering students and first-time users, due to its ease of use and understanding. I took roughly one day to understand how to use the software, and after that, I managed to create multiple circuit boards. This software is best for educational institutions only. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was mainly used for the electronic assignments and exams on designing circuits for an engineering student. Based on my experience, I recommend this software for the first time user and engineering student. Even though the GUI looks a bit retro, I don't see any obstacles and challenges in using this software for my university assignment and exams. I would suggest for users to be more accurate on searching the components whenever they are using this software for the PCB design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Support Officer
What do you like best?

It is very simple and easy specially for fresh students.It is as simple as beginners can use it easily.you can designed simple as well as complex PCB circuits from it specially on working on Micro controller and micro processor .I completed my final year project by using this software, the project was OPEN LOOP IRON DETECTOR FROM A CONVEYOR TRACK.

It is basically a PLC based project in which electromagnet arm and conveyor belt are used. The electromagnet energized, using counters, timers & switches and collect all pieces of iron from garbage through a fixed Program Logic, and no sensors are used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

some of the components are not present in the library. i.e IC'S and sod's.

sometimes its stuck in the middle or hanging problem.

But at last i personally like it very much. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

i solved the project about ohm's circuits for close path with it and its very easy by placing separate volt meter and ampere meter.

I also completed my final year project by using this software, the project was OPEN LOOP IRON DETECTOR FROM A CONVEYOR TRACK.

What do you like best?

I enjoyed the simple UI as well as the feasibility to import from NI Multisim which allowed me to print a PCB of the CE AMP I was working on as well as add many layers to the wiring. Moreover, I was able to customise the menu to fit my specific needs. I have not yet printed the PCB but it looks very simple. The UI although outdated offered ease of use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that the UI is a little dated as well as the fact that the Copper wiring sometimes gets mixed up and has to be manually adjusted. Moreover I dislike that the components have to be manually untangled in order to fit the PCB board specifications. A more modern UI would be excellent. Also I wish there was compatibility for MAC OS since I am a primary MAC user. It would be great to see also Multisim as well as Ultiboard integrated into one system. Also I ran into the issue where I had to reopen the files because they kept crashing on windows 10 but I'm sure that is just a temporary bug which will soon be fixed. SImple Issues overall. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest getting to know Multisim first since all components are imported from there Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am creating a CE AMP, It is easy to print out the PCB once completed. Furthermore I enjoyed the layering components since I could choose which track I wanted. Moreover I have realised that it is very simple to implement with a PCB printing software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I loved how user friendly the program was. It's been over 4 years and I can honestly say I'd still remember how to do most of the "commands" I used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the way that the program tried simplifying your chip was more complicated than before. I think that ist to be expected of any program though. I think sometimes the program let us be too free with how we connected microchip components and this was impossible in real life. Again though I dont think that's anything unusual of the program and more likely had to do with inexperience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were able to create a unique board to satisfy the needs of our senior capstone project, and we needed multiple sensors to have input ability in a very small space. I liked that we were able to create this and succeed with our project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Research Engineer
What do you like best?

The most helpful thing with ultiboard is it has an intuitive user interface, it’s easy to use and has clean appearance. I really like the snapping feature when connecting pins. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The auto-route feature could work better. The downsides are that it sometimes because cluttered when importing files and saving files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I solved start to finish circuit board design. It was easy to move from Multisim over to ultiboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy route and auto detection of error in layout. It also uses the latest technology Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I actually liked and had been using it all of my college years and haven't found any unnecessary feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will be useful for project enthusiast especially those who focus on doing circuit boards, I highly recommend to explore and learn the features offered by Ultiboard. It is easily to navigate and use friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using to route circuit boards and eat is easy that using wired circuits. It lessen time to work for a circuit project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lecturer
What do you like best?

Designing is very easy , frequently using components are really great Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Soft slows down the laptop process, and changing into trace is little bit difficult Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For PCB design board it is the best I used Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Circuit boards for my projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

R&D Electrical Engineer
What do you like best?

I could find a lot of components and it's easy to create a circuit here. We used it for out research project and the project was very successful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. Everything seems working fine for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Choose the right one based on the components you want to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My engineering project. Comfortable to use and has wide range of applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ultiboard makes complicated designing seem feasible. It is very helpful for innovative designing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Got hanged sometimes while running with other softwares. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it for designing , it's a lite software ,but some times it hangs so do not run if other softwares are running. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I mostly solved academic problems using ultiboard. It helped me learn Analog electronics much better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IPC certification
What do you like best?

It is easy to learn and to teach, I used when I was a teacher of electronics in an high school.

I used the student version and it is very complete. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I like the software there is a good community to solve any problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Print the design and learn how to put the devices on the PCB. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Real Time Design Rule Check. Easy transfer of schematic from multism to ultiboard Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing is really least helpful with ultiboard. It's a robust tool for electronic engineers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good product for electronic designer. Especially when you also combine it with multism Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Designing of electronics microcontroller projects in multism and designing the prototype with ultiboard Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Electronics Engineer
What do you like best?

Its a NI instrument product and as usual its student-centric. So your expectation should not be like the professional tools out there in the market like Altium or Orcad. However I find it easy to learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of support tools. Many things in routing traces I had to do manually, whereas other CAD software provides tool for those which drastically reduce the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are student or teacher, interested to do/teach basics of PCB designing , then you can start with Ultiboard. Its integrated with NI Multisim which has a nice circuit simulation engine, so one does not have to do much work after first stage of design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PCB designing . This is the one and only solution Ultiboard provides.

Didnt find mentionable benefits compared to other tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CH
What do you like best?

The auto routing features help a novel user understand the rules of PCB designing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I've used Ultiboard along with Multisim means that there is a dependency. It would be much better if you could just start design the circuits in Ultiboard. Of course, I haven't used the software extensively so there might be a way to do this but I'm not aware of that yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Main purpose of my use was too teach students about PCB designing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Process and Product quality Engineer Trainee
What do you like best?

All sensor layouts was readily available Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nano and other user friendly development boards are missing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

user friendly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

developing the PCB board for project with schematics Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

You can import your circuit from NI workbench. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Ultiboard is not user friendly while working on high speed and complex pcb design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it for basic or kick starter design. Simulate your circuit and import it in ultiboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I only benefit import your design from NI workbench to ultiboard for test pcb. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Simplicity to use and understand. This product is being used as a teaching instrument for young graduates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The extent to which the product is presently used is satisfactory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very good for designing PCB Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This product is being used as a teaching instrument. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Design Engineer
What do you like best?

Almost all components are available in Ultiboard and those which are not you can create the foot prints. Easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Creating the board size in Ultiboard is painfull. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a good software to learn and implement design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I designed my PCB's for my graduation projects. It helps to get the great designs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What I like most About ultiboard and multisim are the way they let user construct it's designs. It's elegant simple, and will offer the user the ability to see their designs simulations in some way and, if the user wants to, will let them adjust the components and designs specifications needed for their specific job.

It's simple for simple solutions, and powerful enough to free the user! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of companies specific components specifications. When we have to use some company specific components we are unable to directly find them in ultiboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it to have our product designed as fast as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Circuit boards designs, simulation and visualizations. The benefits are huge, because I think the software is the most user friendly in the market, and it's also a complete solution . So I can only say it has everything one might need to develop it's on design in a single platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.