PlayCanvas Reviews & Product Details

PlayCanvas Overview

What is PlayCanvas?

PlayCanvas is an open source cloud hosted collaborative 3D platform for building video games that allows per-pixel lighting, shadows and post effects, rigid bodies, triggers, vehicles, and joints, and audio, input, animation, and entity system.

PlayCanvas Details

PlayCanvas
2011
London, United Kingdom
@playcanvas

PlayCanvas Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the PlayCanvas community
Have you used PlayCanvas before?

PlayCanvas Reviews

Showing 5 PlayCanvas reviews
Already have PlayCanvas?
Specialista tecnico
What do you like best?

I love the fact that with PLayCanvas I can create, edit and further customize my own games and projects. With PlayCanvas, which is in my opinion the best application for game developers, I can not only start my own projects but also invite other people of my team to simultaneously work on my same project!

Classic editor is my favorite one and is the easiest WebGL Game Engine to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

PlayCanvas often present bugs and I encountered difficulties during updates in the past. Recently I have found PlayCanvas being more user-friendly in respect to the past, so I am overall happy and satisfied with this product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try!!! I can guarantee it is worth it and every strongly passionate game developer will love all of its features!!

Also highly suggested the team-connection feature! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am now capable of not only creating my own games and projects, but I can also invite other people to join my team, so that I can receive some help form all of the members of my team! Great team-coordination feature! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

PlayCanvas is great to be used in schools for any types of gaming classes! This is an open source application that allows users to be able to create their own games. What I like best is how interactive the experience of creating a game on PlayCanvas can be, as it's not just coding but rather using the imagination to be able to construct something using the things that they provide. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The challenge of using PlayCanvas is that there are definitely some difficulties involved in learning how to use this. It takes some time initially to figure out what exactly needs to be done in order to make the game that it is that you want to make. However, that is definitely part of the experience and helps in making PlayCanvas as fun as it is! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's very inexpensive to use PlayCanvas and a subscription is only required for people who are looking to do much more with this. I, however, think that the basic version is more than enough and does everything it needs to do! I would highly reccomend this to anyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PlayCanvas has impacted our work because, since the after-school club that I am a faculty advisor of needed new applications to work with, we have been able to use PlayCanvas in order to do what we wanted to do. It has created a very fun and interactive experience for the students while also practicing how to design games! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What I really like about PlayCanvas is how it can be used by pretty much anyone! Despite being someone who is the advisor of a programming club in a school, I was not very well-versed in programming and so I began looking for ways I can learn more. I began to love using PlayCanvas so much that I even suggested it to the students and now they love using it to practice! This has been great to use overall. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There aren't a lot of instructions given by PlayCanvas as to how to proceed to whatever it is that users want to do. Hene, it is definitely not user-friendly to those who this is the very first time that they're doing anything related to programming or coding. Therefore, I did not like the fact that I received very little instructions at the beginning of when I began to use this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly reccomend for anyone who's looking to improve their skills to give this a try. I feel more confident in my skills and I am sure other users will too once they begin using this to practice more coding and development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problem that we're solving with PlayCanvas is being able to provide the students in the programming club a good program to use to practice their skills. I think this has been very effective thus far as more of them definitely feel much more confident in their skills now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What I like best is how PlayCanvas has really changed the way that I am able to work on my coding. As someone who works for a nonprofit organization, I'm always looking for ways as to how I can continue to expand my skillset so that I can help the organization when I code the newsletter emails that we send. Through PlayCanvas, I am currently able to improve my skills with the games that I play, which I think is really cool! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that not a lot of instructions are given for beginners and so this isn't exactly user-friendly for beginners or those individuals who may be attempting to use PlayCanvas in order to be able to learn from the beginning. PlayCanvas is definitely more well-suited for people that have a firm understanding of how to do basic coding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I believe that PlayCanvas is in fact very much headed in the right direction. While there are other resources out there, such as video guides and other tutorials, I especially prefer PlayCanvas because of how interactive it is and how much fun it can be to learn how to coding using this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The business problems that I am solving with PlayCanvas is slowly developing the coding skills that I have. The benefits I realized is that since I am now more well-versed on how to write different types of codes, I can develop much better-looking newsletter emails that I send to contacts on our newsletter list. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UD
What do you like best?

I think this app is one of the best for developing and edit games, as it allows you to develop projects in teams/groups of multiple people at the same time.

What do you dislike?

Simulations may present bugs and the importing 3D models function doesn't always run smoothly.

PRO20 update is a little too expensive, but it is worth it and I am satisfied overall. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try! You'll be satisfied! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can now bring my games at a professional levels. I have in fact now realized how easy it can be to bring the games we develop to the next level, by simply working on a better interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.