Patriot Payroll Reviews & Product Details

What is Patriot Payroll?

We offer 2 payroll options for you. 1). Basic Payroll base price $10/mo + $4 for each employee. In this option, you run payroll in a simple three-step process. You then file your own payroll taxes​ using data from our payroll tax liability reports within the software. 2) Our Full-Service Payroll base price is $30/mo + $4 for each employee. In this option, you enter the hours and print paychecks or use our free direct deposit, we do the rest! It includes payroll deposits and filings for all federal, state and local taxes. Patriot Software offers: *FREE direct deposit. *FREE payroll setup and support. *FREE employee portal​, where employees can access their pay stubs online. *Pricing per employee, regardless of pay frequency. *No-hassle cancellation. Cancel at any​ ​time for any reason. *An A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Patriot Payroll Screenshots

AA
Most Recent Patriot Payroll Video Review
Office Manager

"Great Decision"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to use and set up. I love that I have more control of the data and can make changes without having to call customer support to make simple changes for me. It is extremely easy and effective to you.

What do you dislike?

Not much - but I wish Patriot filed the new hire reporting forms.

The cost is incredibly cost effective for our company. We are a CPA firm and made a major switch from another payroll provider. The cost was paramount in our decision - but once we made the switch, we realized how supportive the team is and what a great company to work with. We are very pleased with our decision to switch. We had SEVERAL issues with our previous company and the support team was very difficult to work with. Thanks Patriot!

Analyst
Investment Management

"Great Software!"

What do you like best?

I like the user friendliness of Patriot Software. Customer Service is also very friendly.

What do you dislike?

I don't have much to dislike about Patriot Software. The site is very user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would ask everyone who is looking for a payroll management program to give patriot payroll a try. They would be amazed by the user friendliness the site offers. Payroll from Patriot Software for small businesses will take the payroll management off your hands. From intuitive settings, to custom reports. It's only gotten easier.

In the beginning of using Patriot Payroll, I had trouble inputting the past wages and dates. You only had one chance to add it when you registered the new account. The benefits now is that we can add past wages without having to create a new account.

Response from Michele Bossart of Patriot Payroll

Thanks Jose! We understand that both the software and customer service have to be friendly to small business owners who need to run payroll and get back to what they love. :)

Project Manager

"I Wouldn't Hire without Patriot Software"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use, with a fast learning curve, even if you are like me, and have very little patience and even less time.

What do you dislike?

Thus software is "feature rich." That means sometimes having to search and drill down to find things. I had to finally call in to customer support, to find out how to account for a "cash advance" to an employee.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it, depending on how many employees you have. 10 or less, no problem. You can expect to spend 1 hr per 5 - 10 employees, per pay period.

With less than 10 employees, I didn't need someone else to do the bi-weekly payroll. I was able to do it my self, from my home office.

"Great Software Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Most of everything we need for payroll. Super easy to use. They have excellent customer service and they have been very kind and helpful every time I have called. The first time I ran payroll the customer service guy walked me through step by step. the next time I ran I called just to make sure I didn't skip a step and they looked at my account and verified I didn't miss anything.

What do you dislike?

There is a charge for the clock in/out app. So I use a free app and then have to enter the numbers manually each time (not a big deal, just a small hassle).

There is no feature for the Sick Pay accrual that is mandatory in my state (for every 30 hours worked, the employee gains 1 hour of sick pay)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have any questions, reach out to them, they are super nice and helpful!

Payroll, Simple and fast

Small Business Consultant

"Great for small businesses"

What do you like best?

Patriot payroll is a great system for small businesses. The cost helps small business owners run payroll with an efficient system but at a fraction of the price as some of the larger payroll providers. It is nice having the chat feature with the customer service reps.

What do you dislike?

The system is very manually compared to other payroll providers, however, you get what you pay for. At the end of the year the W-2 reporting is very manually and with multiple clients it was extremely time consuming to mail out the W-2's because many of the employees did not sign up with the employee portal.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you implement properly and set up each employee correct, specially the tax section.

The problems Patriot Payroll solves are providing a payroll system at a competitive price that allows for specific configuration that fits within the needs of the business. The benefits of having a system run payroll, remit payroll taxes and run reports are helpful.

"Best Payroll Product for Small Business!"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity/ease of use as well as the variety of functions. My payroll is done, taxes paid, time cards taken care of, and all I do is hit a few buttons. This is such a great addition to our small business.

What do you dislike?

There is NOTHING that I dislike about Patriot Software. I am nothing but a fan.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want a simple, seamless, easy to use payroll platform that takes care of not only payroll, but guidance in necessary documents, paying of taxes, and even organization of employee time cards, look no further. Patriot Software has you more than covered!

Patriot makes payroll seamless while helping me take care of taxes, time cards, and collection/organization of documents that I didn't even know I needed as a new, small business owner.

Response from Michele Bossart of Patriot Payroll

Thanks so much Dennis. We are a pretty big fan of customers like you too!

Accounting Manager

"Switching to Patriot Payroll was a great move!"

What do you like best?

The ease of completing payroll with the push of a button has been a great timesaver for me. I no longer have to worry about tax deposits, filing reports and doing W2's. Love it!!

What do you dislike?

The only thing is dislike is it does not track vacation time. I can put it in, but it does not easily track for quick review.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great value for the price. Ease of use is great and a huge timesaver.

From doing it myself - keying in hours from a time card to simply run payroll accurately and efficiently with the push of a button, it has freed so much of my time. I no longer have to do tax deposits, reports and W2's and make sure they are done timely. Patriot Payroll does this for me.

CIO

"Affordable Payroll Software"

What do you like best?

Price - The alternatives are considerably more expensive or more limiting for their cheaper plans. Ease of Use - Its doesn't take a certified professional to use this software. It is very potent for the simplicity it offers

What do you dislike?

None, and I don't say this lightly. I have used this for a little over six months now. When I have to make adjustments to checks, add or deduct advances or change employee info, everything I need to do is possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The free trial will tell you all you need to know. You can't beat the price, and you are not sacrificing features for it!

We were looking for payroll software that didnt require us to pay 50 dollars or more a month, and one that didnt limit the number of payrolls we could run each month, or limit us only to direct deposit paying.

Realtor
(Myself Only)

"Payroll for Dummies"

What do you like best?

The price! I like intimately knowing how my payroll works. The office support was fantastic. I had a lot of questions, and they did a great job of answering the phone and helping.

What do you dislike?

It was more difficult to set up than I expected, not because of the software quirks, but because of the complexity of payroll taxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Way better than paying someone else - especially if you are a small and uncomplex organization.

I manage my own payroll, I understand fairly intimately the costs associated with payroll taxes.

Response from Michele Bossart of Patriot Payroll

James, your review made our day. Thank you for the fantastic review. By the way, as far as we are concerned, we think all of our customers are brilliant! ;)

Owner/Operator

"Patriot Payroll is the best Payroll software!"

What do you like best?

Patriot payroll software is incredibly user-friendly and easy-to-use for payroll professionals, accountants, and small business owners. As an accountant, I recommend it to all my new small business clients for ease-of-use and incredible affordability. While other software companies continue to inflate the prices of their payroll products (i.e. Intuit/Quickbooks), Patriot makes payroll really affordable. I also love that they offer an "advisor" program to accountants that allows us to offer further discounts and/or markup our use of their product to our clients.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, Patriot payroll software is easy-to-use and integrates easily with their own bookkeeping software or Quickbooks.

I have realized how simple payroll can be and how nice it is to have a company offer an advisor program to bookkeepers, accountants, and payroll professionals.

Response from Michele Bossart of Patriot Payroll

Dane, thank you for the fantastic review. We think you're pretty awesome too!

Bookkeeper

"Small Business Payroll"

What do you like best?

Prices, support and the product is very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I would love to be able to print the schedule b in the 941 quarterly tax return.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look no further.

I love the fact that I can process payroll from anywhere. I was previously processing payroll through major accounting software and was very disappointed. With the other software, I was constantly upgrading which meant I was constantly shelling out money for said "upgrades". If my software was over three years old, I could NOT process payroll within the software. My company switched software to an industry specific and their payroll module was a nightmare. When we switched to Patriot there was no learning curve. SO EASY.I even have my worker’s compensation through their affiliate.

Founder
Accounting

"Better Customer Service and Easier to Use"

What do you like best?

Customer support! The chat option is awesome! I love not having to wait on hold for hours. It is also easier to use and don't have to call support every time I need something like making my church clients exempt from FUTA and the ministers exempt from FICA. I can do it myself in the software.

What do you dislike?

The hoops you have to jump thru to set up direct deposit with NatPay are a pain...but again their support throughout the setup process was outstanding!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! Fully worth the trouble of switching!

I LOVE the cheaper price and as I stated before, being able to handle the exemptions for my church clients in the software without having to call support has saved many valuable work hours.

Bookkeeper
Education Management

"We are SO glad we switched!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, and PRICE! I can't believe the AWESOME service I've received from Patriot customer service - WAY better than what I was receiving from PayCor! The set-up and transition from one to another was super quick and easy!

What do you dislike?

I have been using it for 2 months and have not found anything that I dislike. It has been all positive from the moment I called about a free trial.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't hesitate for a minute! Do it!

Reports, Budget, Functionality... I am solving the problem of having to print several reports to get the info I need to enter into our accounting software. This software provides me with a payroll report that has everything I need. I am solving the biggest problem we had, as a VERY small non-profit, of paying ridiculous fees for our once-a-month payroll runs. Now I can run payroll on a schedule that is convenient for US and it's the same price every month.

"Amazing payroll solution"

What do you like best?

The new user interface is excellent and easy to use, the support has been excellent and help me fix any errors. I would recommend this for your payroll needs. Got my payroll done from them as full-service, where taxes are managed by Patriot. The online employee portal is very useful and easily configurable, A very cost effective solution for payroll, much cheaper with similar features compared to competitors. I will recommend this to any company considering specially as full-service payroll provider.

I have been using this software personally so consider this my personal experience which is very positive and i would recommend this anyone. Therefore, please consider this review to help you decide on Patriot payroll software.

What do you dislike?

Mobile app would be a perfect add-on. Definitely need that. Both employee and employer portal would work wonders for the end user. Specially if time-sheets can be linked there. Other than this there is nothing bad about this software that i can think of.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Got my payroll done from them as full-service, where taxes are managed by Patriot. Lot of time was wasted of mine doing taxes myself, thankfully full-service payroll is perfect for that and I do not have to keep track of tax deadlines which can create issues with penalties.

Response from Michele Bossart of Patriot Payroll

Thank you for the terrific review Nuage. Although Patriot does not have a mobile app, our software has a "responsive design" which means it works on all devices. There is no download or updates needed on your phone like you would need to do for an app, which wastes precious memory on your phone.

"Patriot Software allows me to focus on running my business and takes away any payroll issues"

What do you like best?

The customer support and setup process are all top notch. Friendly, knowledgeable associates are only a phone call away. Every interaction I had with them helped me immediately resolve an issue for my business. I never have to worry about payroll.

The reporting dashboard is a very useful feature as an administrator of the system.

The employee portal also meets requirements for receiving paychecks and year end reports which makes administration easy as well.

What do you dislike?

Everything works great with the product. The only issues I have is perhaps the large amounts of menu choices I don't use. Perhaps a simpler interface for what your organization needs only. Customizing User Interfaces is a hard business to be in, but I often found what I needed. In a great future world I would have a payroll AI assistant who speaks to me and holds my hand through everything!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I strongly recommend this product to small business owners looking for an affordable solution to help them get things off the ground, grow your team, and focus on your customers.

Focus on providing value, our product and our team. Don't have to spend time with compliance, schedules, and checking small details. Patriot takes care of it all.

Creative Problem-solving Adviser
Accounting

"Payroll made super easy!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and very affordable! I am still amazed that it can do all of the payroll filings and deposits for this price!

What do you dislike?

I wish it had an import function to bring in employees information and past paychecks. For this reason, I don't recommend it to clients with more than 10 employees.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend for small businesses, but probably not ideal for larger companies.

Payroll is a huge huge headache, I have seen so many disasters from clients trying to do it on their own. Patriot make it affordable to have it all handled, all clients have to do is add in hours or salary!

AL

"So far product is as described"

What do you like best?

Patriot Software is a simple and easy to use program. Setup time was fairly quick. Just had to have the basic business info available. Definitely helped with the service being able to process the actual tax payments to include state.

What do you dislike?

So far there are no real cons except the normal I would like to pay less for the full service of having the software process and file my federal and state for less. I might look into exactly where and how to file these on my own to reduce the cost but overall no issues or real Cons yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

So far the product is living up to its claims. When implementing the program just have all the basic documents needed: FEIN, Tax docs, business establishment. Other wise everything is pretty simple to include adding new clients.

Currently meeting the needs of processing payroll. The product has helped to ensure the correct amount of taxes are being held out and then the payment of those taxes to federal and state agencies on time.

"Patriot Payroll"

What do you like best?

Patriot Payroll has been great for us as a small company (less than 5 employees). It is not only the most affordable option we found, but super easy to use! Has all the features we need and very straightforward.

What do you dislike?

We have not run into anything we have disliked so far.

I didn't want to figure out tax information or do tax deposits myself. Patriot takes care of all our payroll processing.

"I am a Huge Fan!"

What do you like best?

The Customer Support is US based and the people are very nice.

What do you dislike?

All payroll is a pain to get set up. I would recommend some tools to help onboard new Clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend Patriot over any other options right now.

Price Price Price! Patriot blows the competition out of the water and saving money helps the bottom line for all of my Clients, thus helping MY bottom line!

Office Manager

"Cost benefit is a winner"

What do you like best?

very reliable, dependable; ample time to schedule around holidays; customer service is there when you need them

What do you dislike?

Offers a lot of features our business does not have a use for; but the cost benefit is still a winner

Recommendations to others considering the product:

overall a winner, cost benefit is worth every penny and it's not that expensive compared to similar providers

easy to set up and use for payroll for our business

Accountant
Accounting

"Best payroll service for small business"

What do you like best?

As the small business, cost is the first thing we are thinking about. Patriot has the lowest price and cover all service I need, I am so happy to find it

What do you dislike?

The third party of direct deposit process a little slow than other provider, you need approve payroll ahead of 4 days

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Patriot does everything you need, just the direct deposit (third party) process a little slower than others(ADP), otherwise it is perfect. Actually I do recommend the quick pay than direct deposit in this case.

Save money and plenty of time, very friendly platform

Corporate Controller
Financial Services

"great customer service, price is 80% less than what we paid our previous service adp."

What do you like best?

The support is very effective. Implementation went very smoothly. The procedures for entering hours and and applying deductions are straight forward. The user interface is clean and very intuitive and reporting is flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

What do you dislike?

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive. They require that the payroll be processed by monday to be in the employee's account on friday. They use a third party to do the direct deposits.(with adp you can do it right up the the day before payday) I think they need to address this to accommodate a more and more paperless environment. also if you make a mistake on a payroll deduction you cannot go back and edit the deduction after you have entered hours. you have to delete the entire payroll edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. very clunky. the alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

A good payroll solution at a economical price. No need file payroll tax returns and make deposits.

Operations Manager

"Love Partriot Software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Helpfulness of Customer Support, Affordability, Simplicity

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislikes, Patriot Software is perfect for me and my business.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend!!

I can easily, quickly, and accurately run payroll. We were using a "bigger" payroll company previously and it was so much more complex than we needed it to be. Patriot Software does exactly what I need, it's simple and fast.

Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Great product and service"

What do you like best?

Patriot software is very easy to setup and use. The customer service is great and friendly, whether using the online chat or talking to someone on the phone. This made my payroll so easy, and it is a lot less expensive than having my accountant do the payroll.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike at this point. I have been using the service for less than a month, so far I don't see any downfall.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a very user friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. Saving me a ton of time and money.

Vice President

"Amazing Value"

What do you like best?

I do all of my work in the cloud and am impressed with the functionality and value of Patriot Software's offerings. It allows me to continue working in the cloud without paying the insane payroll costs of Xero/Intuit (per company). I simply bundle the cost of Patriot in my services pricing and get to work for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I think the accounting functionality, while user-friendly for non-accountants, is not as flexible as what Intuit & Xero offer for cloud-based accounting, but the payroll software makes up for it!

Always consider the needs of your company or your clients' company before deciding on software. This software does not have automatic integration with the QBO/Xero, so it adds a step that could leave room for errors, but the lower cost for great service is so far well worth the one extra step.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Always consider the needs of your company or your clients' company before deciding on software. This software does not have automatic integration with the QBO/Xero, so it adds a step that could leave room for errors, but the lower cost for great service is so far well worth it the one extra step.

Because I work with a lot of churches, the paid staff are usually only a few in number and don't need an expensive monthly payroll subscription. With Patriot Software, I am able to offer cloud-based payroll service to my clients and keep my costs low (since I bundle the cost into my total price).

Patriot Payroll Pricing

9.3
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.3*
* Payroll Category
Do you work for Patriot Payroll?

Patriot Payroll Categories on G2