Munis Reviews & Product Details

What is Munis?

Munis® provides a comprehensive ERP suite encompassing financials, human resources, asset management, and revenues. It is designed to meet the various public sector organizations such as counties, cities, school districts, and authorities. Munis is functionally rich and leverages the latest technologies to integrate data and increase efficiency and productivity across an organization. Tyler's Munis ERP software offers the best return on investment available in the market today.

Munis Screenshots

1-25 of 99 total Munis reviews

Munis Reviews

1-25 of 99 total Munis reviews
Animal Shelter Attendant

"Munis for employee self-service needs"

What do you like best?

I like that it it easy to access all parts that I need of Munis from my home screen, and that I can add and change information as it changes in real-time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there isn't a lot of information on how to operate the software from the software itself. I appreciate when software systems will have "help" tabs on each page in case users have questions about a specific part.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd recommend that if you are looking to get Munis, it fits your specific needs. It does help employees to be very self-efficient and eliminates confusion, but it can also lead to mistakes being made if the operator is unfamiliar with usage.

Munis allows me to directly electronically submit time sheets to my supervisor and allows me to view my payment/tax information and stay on top of that. I can also track and use petty time/holiday/sick leave, etc. with ease.

UG

"Tracks all government finances, but flawed"

What do you like best?

This system can truly do it all - from general fund to grants accounting and management as well as management of purchasing, contracting, and vendors. This is supremely helpful for our organization, as it means that all of our financial information and functionality is consolidated here. Once you learn how to use the tools, navigate the platform, and pull reports, you can glean infinite insights.

What do you dislike?

The interface is horribly bland and utilitarian. The program and each module are so nuanced, with different functionalities that don't correspond to each other. For example, entering a purchase order and a contract requires entirely different skills. Essentially, you need to know, for each function that you are trying to achieve, what each of the jargoned fields means and exactly how to enter the information and which fields need to be populated and which need to be blank.

We integrate all of our organization's financial functions in this software, from entering to reviewing to approving financial data.

"MUNIS Review"

What do you like best?

MUNIS is very user friendly for entering payroll changes and running payroll. Tyler Technologies is constantly adding new features to make payroll processing even easier to use. The Tyler Technologies support staff has been extremely helpful in fixing errors and answering questions.

What do you dislike?

Some changes or adjustments I need to make manually. However, I have learned that more recent versions allow these processes to be done automatically. It is helpful to be on a current version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend it for payroll processing and employee administration. If you implement a newer version, it would be more helpful due to having more features.

I run our payroll through MUNIS. I am also able to export data to EXCEL in order create reports. We are currently upgrading to a newer version, and I have learned that there will be many more tools in the newer version that will make payroll processing and employee administration much easier.

"Munis - Almost Perfect"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Munis is that I can access to it everywhere I go. Before Munis, there was no way for our financial software to do that. With a lot of features, the possibilities are really unlimited.

What do you dislike?

We are currently a SaaS client and since the feature is new, there are still some bugs that need to be fixed. I'm sure Tyler is working on it and will deliver a solution soon in the future.

Tyler Cashiering has been crashing for SaaS client and there is still no solution just yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The implementation process can be overwhelming at first, but you'll get familiar with it in no time. Munis is a no-brainer for your organization, so please consider it.

We are solving a lot of problems with Munis. We now have a PO/REQ system and an electronic approval process. We also have access to real-time data and the ability to generate any reports we want without having to contact the IT Department.

Data Entry Clerk
Hospital & Health Care

"MUNIS user for 4+ years in county tax department"

What do you like best?

I love that most everything can be done with one system! We can keep up with payments, amounts owed, notes on payment agreements, make changes to bills and accounts(current and past) all in one system. The software is pretty straight forward and requires minimal training to be proficient at using. This system is definitely user friendly!

What do you dislike?

I wish the codes and what not were easier to manage on the finance side of the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great software program. It is very user friendly. It requires minimal training to be proficient in its use. It allows several users to access the same information at the exact same time. It makes daily , monthly, and yearly record keeping very simple. They also have a wonderful support team. If ever you have an issue, they have a wonderful staff on hand all of the time to help with any issues you may experience. We use this product to keep up with property tax accounts for 35, 000+ properties. Within this system we can keep track of values, as well as payments made and balances owed, also we can easily make changes on batches of accounts or on individual accounts. I highly recommend this software to anyone in the market for this type of product.

Our office has found that this system makes it easier for everyone to stay on the same page as far as account management and collections.

"Frequent, though untrained, often confused and frustrated user"

What do you like best?

I can appreciate that it's hard to create an accounting system for a complex organization with a $100M budget, but come on... this system is a total mess.

What do you dislike?

Nothing about this program is user-friendly. I have been using it for six years, and it never gets easier. Maybe if I used it every day, all day I would get the hang of it, but it's about 5% of my job, and it's a total headache ALL THE TIME.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Please don't buy into this system. I don't know if it works better at other places, but the occasional user will have nothing but headaches.

OR, give away training to all of your clients so that new users have a hope of figuring out how to use it. We have no training.

All of our organization's accounting is handled in MUNIS. I manage my tiny little part of the overall budget. I put in requisitions, check on invoice payments, pull budget reports, enter my budget projects and requests once each year.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Comprehensive solution but functionality, programming standards, & user interface could be improved"

What do you like best?

I like that MUNIS supports our full P2P process flow from requisitioning through check printing. THe system allows for us to manage contrats, purchase orders, p-card statements, and the city's vendor and item files.

What do you dislike?

A number of areas need improvement:

- Programming standards needs to be implemented and made consistent throughout the solution. Functionality does not always operate consistently from one program to the next

- Tyler needs to take a much more aggresssive approach to testing their products and updates/MUNs/fixes prior to deployment. Regression testing could find some significant issues without requiring the user community to identify and report issues (thus having to actually experience the issue)

- The user experiene could be significantly improved. Many processes are still very time intensive and manual. Focus on compliance and lega requirements first and foremost, but then on ways for the user to get their job done that don't hamper productivity

- The user groups could be a GREAT tool for future development ideas, but instead are run in such a way that there is little time (or room) for that

- Upgrades: - clients need a full, comprehenisve, and specific overview of ALL changes during each upgrade, including training materials, and screenshots. Often times we find that the upgrade notes don't cover everything and our users are confused by new or modified functionality, leaving us all scratching our heads.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Strongly consider the ability of your internal resources to support the system. It requires significant commitments in terms of administration, training, and user resources to run effectively.

Effectively tying requisitions/POs and P-card purchases to contracts

Monitoring Contract SPend

Monitoring Project Spend across multiple depts/contracts/users

More visibility on overall spend and trands (needs more details line level reporting though)

UE

"Munis is not an HR platform"

What do you like best?

There is little I like about MUNIS. It's funcationality isn't robust enough for a true Human Resource employee management platform. It is fine for accounting and budgeting. We also use it for reporting modules and state mandated reporting. The functionality with the state system is fine.

What do you dislike?

MUNIS is not intuitive and isn't very user friendly. It definately works best as a financials accounting platform, and is not tailored for the needs of a human resource department. It doesn't track salary history, prior positions, moves, the history functions are limited. It's difficult to set up various groups and sub groups. I especially do not like that it doesn't "talk" with our application system.

We use MUNIS as a disistrict wide finanical accounting platform. Because we are unable keep all the information we as an HR deparmtent need in MUNIS, we find ourselves suplementing with spreadsheets, other platforms, and using various work arounds to meet our needs.

"A Powerful Product"

What do you like best?

What I like most is the amount of capabilities that the product offers as well as the dedicated staff that are available from Tyler to help their customers. I feel as though that the program is pretty straight-forward to adapt to not only as a first-time user, but also after upgrades.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are performance issues and some of the cards in TylerHub are not descriptive in their title, thus the user isn't sure what they are adding until the card is added. When troubleshooting it may be difficult due to the user (I am in IT myself) not understanding the environment, but I think interactions with Tyler staff helps fill that gap.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend trying out a demonstration and if possible gain access to the Tyler Community so that you can see the opinions and experiences of others who are using MUNIS currently.

As a member of IT I haven't used it much for business; I mainly make sure that MUNIS is up and running with as little errors as possible as well as up-to-date. That being said however it is the most used application in our organization and I know that a good portion of our staff get majority of their work done with MUNIS..

AG

"Switched to Munis from outdated system"

What do you like best?

Munis is a great modern system that has updated features compared to what we are used to. It is a great HR and financial system

What do you dislike?

I am not fond that it is built on SharePoint, to some people in IT, that could play as negative but as an end user, it shouldn't be a problem

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Although we are still implementing Munis ERP into our system, so far it has been a great experience. The support from Tyler is amazing and always willing to help when needed.

We are replacing our 30-year old financial system with Munis and we have successfully migrating all of our users to the new system

"You have to select too many buttons to do one thing, such as a search."

What do you like best?

The ability to attach files, no matter where you are in the process.

What do you dislike?

When entering a requisition item you have to do several different steps to do the same thing. Such as a search, you have to tab into the field and then when you type the correct code/search into the field, it opens another box, you have to select it again, and then select submit or enter and it brings you back to the main screen where you originally entered the correct info to begin with.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask actual users what the product is like and test it for a week before buying...

It creates a log of all receipt items and ultimately is the final record. Prior to this there was a working file with each person that touched it causing multiple copies to float around.

"10 year user who finds Munis a very functional product"

What do you like best?

I like the finance, budget and accounts payable functions of Munis.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes with multiple versions out there it can be tricky to have clarity on which version to switch to and when. On occasion when i see the functionality of the product and where Munis is giong I like your path forward but i often feel like its just not quite there yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great product, but make sure you really think through the implementation.

TCM was very helpful for storing our backup and our required timeframe to keep documents.

GG

"Tyler Technologies Simplifies Processes and is User Friendly"

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

We have recently switched to Tyler at work from an older system that not only did not meet our needs but had terrible customer service. Tyler is appealing - visually and they offer MANY modules to suit your business.

What do you like best?

User-friendly - you can easily search and run reports, AND pay bills, enter payroll, enter contracts, monitor amounts remaining and spent with much greater ease. Overall it provides a better view of the City's finances and has streamlined the processes we have.

What do you dislike?

The payroll module is a bit unforgiving. Employees can only enter time for the CURRENT pay period and cannot enter any vacation ahead of time .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Tyler has made every effort to make sure our implementation of their software from our previous software/company would run smoothly. It was a huge transition and now, a yer, later, the dust has settled and the City is doing quite well with Tyler.

"MUNIS"

What do you like best?

-That the product can be decentrailzed

-Centralze programs are robust and getting better with each release.

-Intergrated document imiging-TCM

-The product seems to be moving to a more intergrated manor. Meaning there are more programs being combined and less clicking..

What do you dislike?

-There is way to much clicking but it is getting better.

-Some programs that seem to be built by computer people and not finance people.

-P-card decetrilization

-Improived workflow with less paper

-Being able to communicate with other departments with their financail reports.

"Very good product"

What do you like best?

Having access to yearly updates that are included in maintenance fee. Existing clients have a big part in communicating the need for changes that are in updates.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are long waits on responses to support issues. Have had most of these problems on state reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Implementation should be thought out and planned carefully. Keep up to date with the offered upgrades to take advantage of the software fully.

Budgeting and finance

We have saved many man hours by using Munis to prepare budgets and reports to our school board. We have made our purchasing paperless which saves money and personel.

Having the option of moving data to excel to be further manipulated for reports is extremely helpful.

Purchasing Clerk
Education Management

"Does what we need"

What do you like best?

Great for tracking my warehouse and doing orders. We also use this for writing checks.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to run more reports for my inventory

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research before committing but for the most part the system works for us.

This is organizing our ordering system and warehouse

"Munis 11.2"

What do you like best?

Solution is hosted and stable, can support many different area and can be integrated with other systems like ESRI

What do you dislike?

Integration and lack of depth in information. Support and implementation teams are week in sharing information among each other, Internal knowledge base and cross training needs to be given a higher priority. Flow charts and Visio diagrams of processes and data.

Library of data flow and processes for customers and implementation teams would be great.

Utility billing module

"Munis Review"

What do you like best?

Human Resources is able to directly approve and implement salary changes, deductions and benefit changes electronically. The import templates are simple and quick. Quarterly reporting is simple.

What do you dislike?

We have only been live for 4 months so we are still trying to create new processes and procedures. I do not like how earnings and deductions are created late in the payroll process to capture last minute tax changes and direct deposit changes.

payroll

"Well Rounded Product"

What do you like best?

Speed at which I can complete basic tasks, like invoice entry, or basic administration functions. Accessibility without installing any applications, all web based.

What do you dislike?

Error messages are not useful, do not provide instructions to fix. SSRS reporting has no options for providing audit reports for RBAC or workflow. Searched Tyler community and there are several other customers looking for the same report functionality.

Better accountability through Workflow. More granular permissions with RBAC.

Technology Officer
Government Administration

"Have been using and supporting MUNIS since 2010"

What do you like best?

A robust ERP system built specifically for local government. The system is some what flexible but not so flexible that it takes huge amounts of IT staff and business analysts to implement.

What do you dislike?

Versions prior to 11.1 used a GDC active X client instead of a true HTML interface. Version 11.1 is HTML 5 and truly platform independent. I also dislike the lack of APIs or an SDK for in house addition of functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

MUNIS is a great solution that is very affordable for local governments of all sizes.

I was able to make my organization much more paperless and efficient through the use of MUNIS and Tyler Content Manager. We have paperless time sheets, procure to pay and invoicing processes now.

"Lots of good features"

What do you like best?

All information is accessible by all departments.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes links are broken and I have to reset them on my homepage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to have a contractor from munis at your business. So helpful and so imperative.

Budgets are usually all handled in Munis so it keeps a running journal entry tab.

I.T. Coordinator
Government Administration

"Munis ERP System - a great solution for our organization!"

What do you like best?

Munis is user friendly, robust, and has allowed us to make great striations when it comes to achieving many organizational goals. This system provides us with enough flexibility to make decisions and implement functionality, but it's not so customizable that it creates paralysis by analysis.

What do you dislike?

Tyler is a partner of Microsoft, therefore it has been a bit of a challenge / delay before Munis apps and functionality is available on Apple products. Our management team is relaying more and more on iPads than Window’s tablets.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When possible have as much buy-in as possible. When you have Executive buy in, your end users are significantly less resistance to change. The more employees embrace the change, the easier the implementation and conversion become.

We finally have a tightly integrated ERP system! We continuously add new functionality and this is allowing us to achieve our goal of becoming a paperless shop. The workflow that is built into Munis has also allowed for efficiency and high productivity.

"Could be better"

What do you like best?

I like the many product features but some are not utilized by my company.

What do you dislike?

It does not follow the process. I have to go to many tabs just to complete one process. There isn't a true connection to flow seamlessly. Also, there isn't a validation between employee deductions and and the coverage level for the deduction. An employee can have a dependent added on them but the coverage level could be missed and charge the wrong deduction amount. It would be nice to have an alert if it does not match or have it automatically update.

HRIS, FInance, Procurement, Purchase Orders, Applicant Tracking

"Easy to use but had glitches "

What do you like best?

Very simply program for anyone new to Tyler platforms to learn and retaining documents like invoices in a simple searchable form is great

What do you dislike?

Glitches can take weeks for tyler support to correct

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is great for government businesses that need to retain a lot of information for long periods with a secure cloud platform.

Accounting, much more simple program with the ability to store copies of checks and invoices

"was not what expected"

What do you like best?

req entry is easy and easy to navigate i like how they updated attachment currently on 11.3

What do you dislike?

procurement process is the issue with my company because they choose to put in barriers for all proceses and gm has to review and approve all req no matter the price

permission access issue that have to go to munis for fix and can't be fixed internally

Munis User Ratings