Gravatar Reviews & Product Details


What is Gravatar?

Gravatar is a tool to let blogs and websites display user-provided pictures from a central database.

Write a Review

Gravatar Profile Details

Gravatar Profile Details

Vendor
Gravatar
Company Website
HQ Location
N/A
Employees on LinkedIn®
1
Show moreShow fewer

Companies Using Gravatar

Cisco
Microsoft
IBM
Salesforce
Adobe
VMware
Xerox
Intuit
ADP
Facebook
Rackspace
EMC

Gravatar Reviews

Filter Reviews
Filter Reviews
Sort by
Ratings
Company Size
User Role
All Industries
Write a Review
1-25 of 42 total Gravatar reviews

Gravatar Reviews

Write a Review
Filter By
Connections
Show reviews that mention
1-25 of 42 total Gravatar reviews
Copy Review URL
Diseñador gráfico de páginas web
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Nos ayuda a crear una marca personal"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gustó es que me permite tener un avatar que me identifica y me da presencia en Internet. Es muy importante tomando en cuenta que como profesionales es necesario crear una marca personal y tener cierta visibilidad en Internet. Permite ahorrar tiempo ya que no es necesario subir una foto o escribir mis datos cada vez que interactúo en algún blog de Wordpress ya que el avatar está previamente definido. Es muy bueno que Gravatar permita añadir varios emails diferentes sin tener que crear un perfil para cada uno.

What do you dislike?

Realmente Gravatar tiene muchas ventajas. Lo único que me gustaría es que ampliaran su servicio a otras plataformas y sea realmente un servicio de avatar universal.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gravatar es excelente para afianzar tu marca personal y para que crezca tu presencia profesional en la web.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

En Internet la presencia lo es todo, sobretodo para conseguir clientes potenciales. Muchas veces un comentario en un blog que maneje el tema con el que trabajas, puede hacer que una persona se interese en tus servicios, nunca está demás usar todas las herramientas que brinda el Internet para llegar a más y más personas. Uso Gravatar para lograr tener una marca personal y una visibilidad en la web que me permita crecer como profesional.

Copy Review URL
Courier
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gravatar is a great app for collecting and publishing contact and about you information."

What do you like best?

A friend recommended Gravatar to me a few months ago when I was starting a blog. Using it is easy. It shows up nicely on my blog. It's clean, professional and fast. I didn't need any instruction. I filled out the simple form, uploaded my image and was off to the races as they say.

What do you dislike?

This is a great app. It's simple to set up and to use. Maybe more examples when setting up might help as when you're confronted with the blank form it's easy to get stage fright. I have no complaints for suggestions for improvement

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The more we're on social media and have a web presence, the more useful this app will become. I can't say enough good about it and highly recommend it. Try it and see for yourself. Its great.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I am working toward systematizing the contact and about me info I am placing across my media platforms. This makes my efforts to that end trouble and worry -free..

Copy Review URL
Desarrollador web
Small-Business
(Myself Only)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Un avatar en múltiples plataformas"

What do you like best?

Me gusta poder establecer una sola foto o imagen representativa en múltiples plataformas, es algo muy importante para crear una marca personal y presencia en los diversos blogs y medios de Internet. Es fácil de implementar, incluso para Wordpress hay pluggins que facilitan su integración en la creación de páginas web.

What do you dislike?

No hay nada que no me agrade, pues es simple de implementar y para programadores la misma página de Gravatar tiene recursos para que lo puedan implementar en sus webs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Lo recomiendo, es muy importante para cualquier profesional e incluso empresa el uso de un avatar que lo identifique de forma global.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Usar Gravatar es una forma de afianzar mi presencia en Internet, ya sea mediante foros, comentarios en blogs, incluso al enviar un email. La imagen es importante, hace todo más personal, el cliente o cualquier persona que te lea siente un vínculo más cercano, y eso es lo que se proyecta usando un avatar de forma global.

Copy Review URL
Digital Project Manager
Marketing and Advertising
Small-Business
(11-50 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gold standard for showing avatars on WordPress sites"

What do you like best?

Given the prominence of WordPress as a platform, it's nice to have a solution where users can leverage a single profile which goes with them across the different sites they use and visit. Implementation is a snap and doesn't create a lot of risks or overhead when building out a site. For users that have taken the steps to set up a profile, the presence of their avatar helps add a bit of trust and legitimacy to areas where the users interact with one another, either with accounts or comments.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit slow to pick up changes made to a profile, but given the scope of the distribution that is needed for such a product, it's easy to give a pass.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a little bit of a learning curve as to creating and managing a profile, but there are ample resources available through the product and a quick search away from an answer should you run into any trouble.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Since we run a lot of sites which leverage WordPress for blogging, we wanted to give readers of those blogs some control over how their avatars looked when submitting comments. We also wanted to give the comments section some variety other than the default look and feel of a commenter.

Copy Review URL
Owner
Media Production
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Universal Avatars for Free!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can move from website to website and use the same avatar (in my case, my headshot). Ideally, it would be great if all personal information could be submitted with one universal account. There would have to be an extra layer of security, but it would make things a lot easier when signing on to websites.

What do you dislike?

I can't say anything bad about Gravatar. They have simplified life for end-users and webmasters alike.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great way to keep your website visitors from having to create a new account just for your site. You are more likely to make a customer from someone if they have to spend less effort. I have personally stumbled across websites that required complete registrations in order to participate (forums, for example) and quickly moved on, even at the expense of not having access to the information for which I was seeking.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

When I build Wordpress-based websites, I love the fact the visitors can use their Gravatar account to link up to them. Whenever they post comments or replies, their avatar automatically appears. It's a great selling point for my clients.

Copy Review URL
Freelance Writer
Small-Business
(Myself Only)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Surprised To See How Far Gravatar Has Come Along"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to be able to use one profile, including photo if I choose, across many platforms, including but not limited to my Wordpress account, Reddit, and many others, even my YouTube account which, to my dismay, was taken over by Google.

What do you dislike?

Integrating Gravatar with my Wordpress account has been a struggle. I've been having trouble with it for months and have just about given up on the idea. I'm not a developer and cannot understand all of the acronyms being used these days, but I can write some html and squeak by, but this has got me perplexed. It's something I have to sort out with support from Wordpress and/or Gravatar, but it seems that software that's been around as long as Gravatar has, ought to be more user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gravatar has come a long way since I first used it many years ago on bulletin board sites.

Now it's possible to integrate it with almost every major (and some minor) sites such as Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.

Gravatar frees up a lot of my time when my demographic or photographic changes need to be made in my profiles on sites I'm registered on. As a freelance writer, it is of utmost importance that clients be able to get in touch with me, and Gravatar makes it simple and easy for me to update my profiles on almost all of the platforms I use.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

My time is very limited and inputting my information into every site that I am registered on takes up more time than I have. Besides, it is very boring and gives me a headache to have to repeat that process over and over. Not only that, but having to go through all the sites I am a member of, plus all of my own sites and change my information is very overwhelming. The ability to do all of those changes, including changing my photograph that identifies my brand, is amazing. Gravatar has saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Copy Review URL
Acting CEO
Information Technology and Services
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Must have service for people who send business emails"

What do you like best?

Very convenient to have a service from which many email providers get a user picture. So I like the ability to set one user pic for all email addresses via one single service.

What do you dislike?

Sadly, more and more services don't use Gravatar to get user pictures, so for some services (like Gmail, Mail.ru) I have to set a picture in their interface. And sometimes it takes long time to update to a new avatar.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Currently, it is better to use it then no, as many small email inbox services use Gravatar to get user pic by email.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use it mostly to make sure emails that I'm sending have the correct avatar, as it makes it much easier to understand who sends that email, and therefore improves open rate and trust. Gravatar saves a lot of time, as an alternative to uploading pictures for each service individually.

Copy Review URL
Freelance Blogger/Writer
Marketing and Advertising
Small-Business
(11-50 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gravatar Manages Your Brand Presence"

What do you like best?

Gravatar provides a simple way to keep your comments and posts branded, which provides cohesion whenever and wherever you decide to share thoughts and opinions. I like the customization options and the ability to tie it to a website and your email address.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about this product. It's simple, easy to use, easy to update and helpful for bloggers or brands looking to engage with people on blogs. Particularly from a brand perspective, it's helpful to add credence to your comments and posts.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Gravatar has allowed me as a blogger to maintain a cohesive presence as I comment on different blogs, and it has allowed my clients to be able to reach out to influencers or people using their products with a well-regulated, branded look to their comments. People trust the comments more because of Gravatar.

Copy Review URL
Management Consultant
Mid-Market
(501-1000 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gives me a consistent profile presence online"

What do you like best?

Being able to have the same profile picture is something I really like. Even though it seems like adding a profile picture is an quick and easy task, it can sometimes be more complicated when adjusting the look for the right dimensions and positioning. I like that I can just log into whatever commenting account I plan to use and my image is set for me with the look that fits the platform I'm using. Setting the Gravatar image is a quick process that I only need to do once. I can also change it once across all platforms.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a whole lot that Gravatar can do aside from setting my profile image. I think since Gravatar has been around a while, they might be able to develop other convenient features that can maybe integrate multiple social accounts. I can't really say much that's negative about Gravatar since it does do what it's supposed to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Gravatar for just about anyone that has many commenting accounts. It is a simple application that can be set up within minutes and can save you much more time from repetitive account updating tasks.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

With Gravatar, I can maintain a consistent profile image across multiple commenting accounts. I can also change the image once in Gravatar and have the image automatically updated in multiple accounts. Using Gravatar can save time from having to go through the steps for updating an image within each account. Also, I have found that having a consistent image across many platforms helps for branding and networking purposes. It also makes it easier for people to find and get in touch with me.

Copy Review URL
Marketing Manager
Mid-Market
(201-500 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"A simple way to have a consistent identity online"

What do you like best?

I like not having to upload a fresh avatar image to every blog, website or message board type of platform. I can just upload a photo once through Gravatar and have it appear throughout all the platforms that participate in the Gravatar program. Signing up for Gravatar is easy. I can just do so through WordPress, which is a platform I often use anyway.

What do you dislike?

Gravatar isn't available in many platforms. So while it is helpful wherever it's accepted, I don't think it's accepted in enough places. I would like to see Gravatar expand their reach as much as possible. Right now, the minimal reach probably doesn't make it worth it to use for many people.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a strong online profile presence across many platforms, you should definitely check out Gravatar to make the avatar uploading process easier. I think having an avatar can make you more reputable to many people. It shows that you're more likely to be a real person, so I would encourage anyone to use an avatar whether it's through Gravatar or not.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Gravatar makes having an avatar throughout many platforms easier for me. When I want to update my avatar image, I can just do so in one place and save time from having to upload it over and over again. Even though Gravatar isn't accepted on many websites, I still think it helps for the ones that it is accepted on.

Copy Review URL
Search Engine Optimization Specialist
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Mid-Market
(51-200 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"a unique but great service"

What do you like best?

Gravatar is a great service website which helps ease your blog commenting or posting with a unique photo or avatar. So you don't have to put your favourite pic or photo manually every time you post or comment. Just make an account on the website with gmail and upload the photo or pic into that account. so if the website is linked to the gravatar or supports gravatar, just fill in your gmail id and the the post or comment will be shown with the pic or photo uploaded on gravatar automatically. Also It supports wordpress that makes a great advantage for the web designers and developers as most websites are made with the help of wordpress. There is a gravatar plugin in the wordpress which you can install to make the website support and work with your website. It shos your photo automatically by the side of your name in the post / comment.

What do you dislike?

Gravatar does not supports much cms other then wordpress, which makes difficult for the web designers using other cms other then wordpress. Also it does not supports all the websites and popular websites.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great service and very user friendly for the seo person and webs designers spcially who works on wordpress. Gravatar is highly reccomendable to eveyone.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

It helps me posing comments and posts on different websites with showing my favourite pic withour manually uploading it everytime.

Copy Review URL
A
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gravatar - Simple Avatar Management"

What do you like best?

Company identity and branding management is important. A company logo can easily distinguish one company from the next and can sometimes be easier for someone to recognize than the company name or slogan. Gravatar takes the headache away from having to design and manually upload an avatar to individual sites when you create an account. Some sites _only_ allow you to use a custom avatar when you have one registered with Gravatar so it helps you stand out from the generic avatars that some site use.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if there was more enterprise-level features. For example if I could specify an avatar for an entire domain ie: all users @domain.com would use the same avatar.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is extremely easy to setup and manage and the benefits make it worth it.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Company identity and brand management across multiple sites. For those sites that participate in Gravatar, it's nice to automatically see my company logo when I create an account.

Copy Review URL
Director of IT
Computer Software
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"It works well for me"

What do you like best?

I'm a lazy user of the apps on the internet. I hate uploading profile pics, have been using the same avatar since 2012! Gravatar made sure of that.Takes very little time and effort to set up. We use it for our network of wordpress sites. Very good so far.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really...it works as it should. There are no fancy complicated functions, just upload image and they know where to show it when you're surfing the internet. It's your universal profile image server basically.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it.

It is FREE!

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Branding is made simpler with just a single upload of our logo, it is then seen across all our affiliated websites.

Copy Review URL
Contributing Writer
Small-Business
(2-10 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Most widely recognized user profile plugin out there "

What do you like best?

Very wide integrations with every possible service and programming interface

Easy to integrate within all CMS services as well as custom-built websites with minimal programming work

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes bit slow updating a user's profile picture when he uses gravatar to change it globally.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think this is one service that's already very widely implemented, and it only gets better as it gets more and more widely adopted. So, go for it, it's good for the community.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

It makes commenting, and posting particularly with CMS services much more aesthetically pleasant and gives people a since of belonging, at least I believe so.

Copy Review URL
Administrador
Small-Business
(Myself Only)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Global avatar"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use, you just have to be registered in Wordpress since it belongs to the same company. It integrates with LinkedIn, Google, Twitter, Youtube and others. Update the profile picture on all these platforms immediately. It's free.

What do you dislike?

I've no complaints about this software. It works perfectly for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think it's very useful to identify you or your company on the Internet.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I'm one of those who like to write in forums so I like to identify myself when doing it. I think it makes my opinions more real and gives it a personal touch.

Copy Review URL
UH
Mid-Market
(501-1000 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Easy to use... mostly"

What do you like best?

I like that Gravatar is easy to use, and that the process is streamlined.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it’s an additional step to add a photo for another (third party) site. For instance, when using WordPress, I would have to log into Gravatar in order to upload a profile pic to WordPress. Not bad, just a little time consuming and inconvenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It seems relatively easy to use, other than it being an "extra" step in the process. Streamlining it somehow would be more effective, in my opinion. Either way, though, I will continue using Gravatar because I'm now familiar with it and have already established a rhythm with WordPress, etc.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I haven’t noticed any problems, or that there have been any solved. Overall, that’s a good thing.

Copy Review URL
UG
Validated Reviewer
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"One Time Profile Maker"

What do you like best?

It's a nice idea- to make a single profile and upload an avatar that you can then use across a multitude of websites. Whether it be posting comments on news articles or signing up for profile on a new website, you can bring your pre-made profile avatar and profile photo with you, without tediously having to make any new accounts.

What do you dislike?

Like I said- it's a nice idea. But for me, I can't think of any practical use that I would want it for, and I can't imagine that anyone I know would want to use it, either. In the age of a lack of digital privacy, I don't want all of my information following me around and being tracked across every website I visit. The anonymity of the internet, while sometimes dangerous and detrimental, has it's upsides and positive impacts as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There's no harm in giving it a try, if you're interested and want to see if it works for you.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I wasn't able to utilize the program in any way that benefitted me or my business, but this could be a good solution for someone who has an online presence, and wants their information to stay streamlined across a variety of online platforms.

Copy Review URL
A
Small-Business
(11-50 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Good experience using Gravatar!"

What do you like best?

What I like about Gravatar is that it helps people to recognize active users easily because of their avatar. While it is hard to remember names, it is very easy to identify a specific image. You also do not have to post your original picture so it addresses our privacy concerns as well.

What do you dislike?

I had a Wordpress account but it was tied to an old email address. Gravatar had my avatar linked to a defunct email address which they say I could not delete but I could add a new email address.This seems to be a very common problem with gravatar I believe

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think Gravatar is a very good product. It helps you drive more engagement with your potential customers on your website and blogs. It gives a unique identity to all the users that remains consistent across different platforms . It's a unique product. It helps your employees and users with their privacy as well.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

User avatars of any kind provide a improved user experience for your WordPress website by enabling differentiation between users in your community.It helps users to have their own unique identity. Gravatars encourage engagement by prompting readers to leave comments and participate in the conversations in the comments sections on posts and pages of your website.It drives more engagement with your potential clients on your website or blog. More engagement ultimately leads to more sales.

Copy Review URL
U
Small-Business
(11-50 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"I LOVE GRAVATAR!"

What do you like best?

First of all, I'm a huge Wordpress and Automattic fan and Gravatar is one of their products. Obviously, that gives it a huge advantage in terms of integration with Wordpress.

Gravatar allows you to upload a photo as your avatar so it's your profile photo on every Wordpress site you use or comment on. It's that simple!

Easy to use and best of all, it's free for site owners and users. It also with every Wordpress.com account which is great!

What do you dislike?

Wish they had a mobile SDK (iOS and Android) so apps can integrate with it.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I don't have to upload an avatar to every Wordpress site I engage with.

Copy Review URL
CEO
Small-Business
(Myself Only)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gravatar for business!"

What do you like best?

I like Gravatar fot the ease of use. Gravatar allows me to add a image/avatar to my Wordpress website so that my website/blog visitors can have a visual to the username.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that fact that I have to have a separate website to maintain the avatar, instead of having website integration.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

The benefit is having images and/or visuals for my users and visitors.

Copy Review URL
Associate Founder and Mentor
Small-Business
(Myself Only)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Simple and amazing"

What do you like best?

The fact that many sites use Gravatar and that way my picture is filled automatically

What do you dislike?

I think more sites may use Gravatar and I think could be an App to manage my account in Gravatar

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Have to always upload my picture in many sites and each one of them has a different picture of me.

Copy Review URL
AI
Small-Business
(11-50 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Great way to display avatars on your website!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can give my customers or readers a way to show there own personal avatar on our website without the customer doing anything at all! If they have setup a GRAVATAR, then there personal avatar displays on our website when commenting.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Gravatar. I've not had any problems for as long as I've used it.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Instead of choosing a universal avatar to assign to customers or readers, we use Gravatar instead and let them be in control! Customers like having things personalized just for them.

Copy Review URL
Ryan Del Signore
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Unique Avatar For my many uses on the web"

What do you like best?

It has my unique avatar on all of my word press comments and sites.

What do you dislike?

I have trouble creating a truly unique avatar

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

It helps me be reconized while giving feedback to other workers sites and when they do that for me.

Copy Review URL
Ski and Snowboard Instructor
Events Services
Enterprise
(1001-5000 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Gravatar is an awesome univeral tool!"

What do you like best?

It works across many platforms and applications across the world.

What do you dislike?

It could have some additional features and such for sharing etc.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I am solving universal recognition of users and friends. I have been able to more quickly identify people and groups.

Copy Review URL
U
Small-Business
(11-50 employees)
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source
Copy Review URL

"Does the job, could be more intuitive"

What do you like best?

This tool allows us to use a nice looking profile across platforms

What do you dislike?

It took some time to figure out how to create and edit a profile.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give yourself some time to figure out the platform and make sure you have your appropriate login information (like WordPress) handy.

What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Our business published on multiple platforms, and this tool lets us use a single profile as we publish and communicate with clients to keep our identity and branding consistent.

Gravatar User Ratings

8.7
Ease of Use
Average: 8.9*
8.3
Quality of Support
Average: 8.4*
9.6
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.8*
* CMS Tools Category
Do you work for Gravatar?

Gravatar Categories on G2