3.9

Gravatar is a tool to let blogs and websites display user-provided pictures from a central database.

Work for Gravatar?

Learning about Gravatar?

Categories

Gravatar Reviews

Showing 40 Gravatar reviews
Gravatar review by Roy B.
Roy B.

"Gravatar is a great app for collecting and publishing contact and about you information."

What do you like best?

A friend recommended Gravatar to me a few months ago when I was starting a blog. Using it is easy. It shows up nicely on my blog. It's clean, professional and fast. I didn't need any instruction. I filled out the simple form, uploaded my image and was off to the races as they say.

What do you dislike?

This is a great app. It's simple to set up and to use. Maybe more examples when setting up might help as when you're confronted with the blank form it's easy to get stage fright. I have no complaints for suggestions for improvement

Recommendations to others considering the product

The more we're on social media and have a web presence, the more useful this app will become. I can't say enough good about it and highly recommend it. Try it and see for yourself. Its great.

I am working toward systematizing the contact and about me info I am placing across my media platforms. This makes my efforts to that end trouble and worry -free..

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Gravatar
Gravatar review by LESLIE G.
LESLIE G.

"Un avatar en múltiples plataformas"

What do you like best?

Me gusta poder establecer una sola foto o imagen representativa en múltiples plataformas, es algo muy importante para crear una marca personal y presencia en los diversos blogs y medios de Internet. Es fácil de implementar, incluso para Wordpress hay pluggins que facilitan su integración en la creación de páginas web.

What do you dislike?

No hay nada que no me agrade, pues es simple de implementar y para programadores la misma página de Gravatar tiene recursos para que lo puedan implementar en sus webs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lo recomiendo, es muy importante para cualquier profesional e incluso empresa el uso de un avatar que lo identifique de forma global.

Usar Gravatar es una forma de afianzar mi presencia en Internet, ya sea mediante foros, comentarios en blogs, incluso al enviar un email. La imagen es importante, hace todo más personal, el cliente o cualquier persona que te lea siente un vínculo más cercano, y eso es lo que se proyecta usando un avatar de forma global.

What CMS Tools solution do you use?

Gravatar review by Gordon W H.
Gordon W H.

"Gold standard for showing avatars on WordPress sites"

What do you like best?

Given the prominence of WordPress as a platform, it's nice to have a solution where users can leverage a single profile which goes with them across the different sites they use and visit. Implementation is a snap and doesn't create a lot of risks or overhead when building out a site. For users that have taken the steps to set up a profile, the presence of their avatar helps add a bit of trust and legitimacy to areas where the users interact with one another, either with accounts or comments.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit slow to pick up changes made to a profile, but given the scope of the distribution that is needed for such a product, it's easy to give a pass.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a little bit of a learning curve as to creating and managing a profile, but there are ample resources available through the product and a quick search away from an answer should you run into any trouble.

Since we run a lot of sites which leverage WordPress for blogging, we wanted to give readers of those blogs some control over how their avatars looked when submitting comments. We also wanted to give the comments section some variety other than the default look and feel of a commenter.

Gravatar review by Joseph H.
Joseph H.

"Universal Avatars for Free!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can move from website to website and use the same avatar (in my case, my headshot). Ideally, it would be great if all personal information could be submitted with one universal account. There would have to be an extra layer of security, but it would make things a lot easier when signing on to websites.

What do you dislike?

I can't say anything bad about Gravatar. They have simplified life for end-users and webmasters alike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great way to keep your website visitors from having to create a new account just for your site. You are more likely to make a customer from someone if they have to spend less effort. I have personally stumbled across websites that required complete registrations in order to participate (forums, for example) and quickly moved on, even at the expense of not having access to the information for which I was seeking.

When I build Wordpress-based websites, I love the fact the visitors can use their Gravatar account to link up to them. Whenever they post comments or replies, their avatar automatically appears. It's a great selling point for my clients.

Gravatar review by Cynthia June L.
Cynthia June L.

"Surprised To See How Far Gravatar Has Come Along"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to be able to use one profile, including photo if I choose, across many platforms, including but not limited to my Wordpress account, Reddit, and many others, even my YouTube account which, to my dismay, was taken over by Google.

What do you dislike?

Integrating Gravatar with my Wordpress account has been a struggle. I've been having trouble with it for months and have just about given up on the idea. I'm not a developer and cannot understand all of the acronyms being used these days, but I can write some html and squeak by, but this has got me perplexed. It's something I have to sort out with support from Wordpress and/or Gravatar, but it seems that software that's been around as long as Gravatar has, ought to be more user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gravatar has come a long way since I first used it many years ago on bulletin board sites.

Now it's possible to integrate it with almost every major (and some minor) sites such as Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.

Gravatar frees up a lot of my time when my demographic or photographic changes need to be made in my profiles on sites I'm registered on. As a freelance writer, it is of utmost importance that clients be able to get in touch with me, and Gravatar makes it simple and easy for me to update my profiles on almost all of the platforms I use.

My time is very limited and inputting my information into every site that I am registered on takes up more time than I have. Besides, it is very boring and gives me a headache to have to repeat that process over and over. Not only that, but having to go through all the sites I am a member of, plus all of my own sites and change my information is very overwhelming. The ability to do all of those changes, including changing my photograph that identifies my brand, is amazing. Gravatar has saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Gravatar review by Leonid K.
Leonid K.

"Must have service for people who send business emails"

What do you like best?

Very convenient to have a service from which many email providers get a user picture. So I like the ability to set one user pic for all email addresses via one single service.

What do you dislike?

Sadly, more and more services don't use Gravatar to get user pictures, so for some services (like Gmail, Mail.ru) I have to set a picture in their interface. And sometimes it takes long time to update to a new avatar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Currently, it is better to use it then no, as many small email inbox services use Gravatar to get user pic by email.

I use it mostly to make sure emails that I'm sending have the correct avatar, as it makes it much easier to understand who sends that email, and therefore improves open rate and trust. Gravatar saves a lot of time, as an alternative to uploading pictures for each service individually.

Gravatar review by Bethany G.
Bethany G.

"Gravatar Manages Your Brand Presence"

What do you like best?

Gravatar provides a simple way to keep your comments and posts branded, which provides cohesion whenever and wherever you decide to share thoughts and opinions. I like the customization options and the ability to tie it to a website and your email address.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about this product. It's simple, easy to use, easy to update and helpful for bloggers or brands looking to engage with people on blogs. Particularly from a brand perspective, it's helpful to add credence to your comments and posts.

Gravatar has allowed me as a blogger to maintain a cohesive presence as I comment on different blogs, and it has allowed my clients to be able to reach out to influencers or people using their products with a well-regulated, branded look to their comments. People trust the comments more because of Gravatar.

Gravatar review by Morgan T.
Morgan T.

"A simple way to have a consistent identity online"

What do you like best?

I like not having to upload a fresh avatar image to every blog, website or message board type of platform. I can just upload a photo once through Gravatar and have it appear throughout all the platforms that participate in the Gravatar program. Signing up for Gravatar is easy. I can just do so through WordPress, which is a platform I often use anyway.

What do you dislike?

Gravatar isn't available in many platforms. So while it is helpful wherever it's accepted, I don't think it's accepted in enough places. I would like to see Gravatar expand their reach as much as possible. Right now, the minimal reach probably doesn't make it worth it to use for many people.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a strong online profile presence across many platforms, you should definitely check out Gravatar to make the avatar uploading process easier. I think having an avatar can make you more reputable to many people. It shows that you're more likely to be a real person, so I would encourage anyone to use an avatar whether it's through Gravatar or not.

Gravatar makes having an avatar throughout many platforms easier for me. When I want to update my avatar image, I can just do so in one place and save time from having to upload it over and over again. Even though Gravatar isn't accepted on many websites, I still think it helps for the ones that it is accepted on.

Gravatar review by Anshul C.
Anshul C.

"a unique but great service"

What do you like best?

Gravatar is a great service website which helps ease your blog commenting or posting with a unique photo or avatar. So you don't have to put your favourite pic or photo manually every time you post or comment. Just make an account on the website with gmail and upload the photo or pic into that account. so if the website is linked to the gravatar or supports gravatar, just fill in your gmail id and the the post or comment will be shown with the pic or photo uploaded on gravatar automatically. Also It supports wordpress that makes a great advantage for the web designers and developers as most websites are made with the help of wordpress. There is a gravatar plugin in the wordpress which you can install to make the website support and work with your website. It shos your photo automatically by the side of your name in the post / comment.

What do you dislike?

Gravatar does not supports much cms other then wordpress, which makes difficult for the web designers using other cms other then wordpress. Also it does not supports all the websites and popular websites.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great service and very user friendly for the seo person and webs designers spcially who works on wordpress. Gravatar is highly reccomendable to eveyone.

It helps me posing comments and posts on different websites with showing my favourite pic withour manually uploading it everytime.

Gravatar review by Administrator

"Gravatar - Simple Avatar Management"

What do you like best?

Company identity and branding management is important. A company logo can easily distinguish one company from the next and can sometimes be easier for someone to recognize than the company name or slogan. Gravatar takes the headache away from having to design and manually upload an avatar to individual sites when you create an account. Some sites _only_ allow you to use a custom avatar when you have one registered with Gravatar so it helps you stand out from the generic avatars that some site use.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if there was more enterprise-level features. For example if I could specify an avatar for an entire domain ie: all users @domain.com would use the same avatar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is extremely easy to setup and manage and the benefits make it worth it.

Company identity and brand management across multiple sites. For those sites that participate in Gravatar, it's nice to automatically see my company logo when I create an account.

Gravatar review by Taurai M.
Taurai M.

"It works well for me"

What do you like best?

I'm a lazy user of the apps on the internet. I hate uploading profile pics, have been using the same avatar since 2012! Gravatar made sure of that.Takes very little time and effort to set up. We use it for our network of wordpress sites. Very good so far.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really...it works as it should. There are no fancy complicated functions, just upload image and they know where to show it when you're surfing the internet. It's your universal profile image server basically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it.

It is FREE!

Branding is made simpler with just a single upload of our logo, it is then seen across all our affiliated websites.

Gravatar review by Ahmed G.
Ahmed G.

"Most widely recognized user profile plugin out there "

What do you like best?

Very wide integrations with every possible service and programming interface

Easy to integrate within all CMS services as well as custom-built websites with minimal programming work

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes bit slow updating a user's profile picture when he uses gravatar to change it globally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this is one service that's already very widely implemented, and it only gets better as it gets more and more widely adopted. So, go for it, it's good for the community.

It makes commenting, and posting particularly with CMS services much more aesthetically pleasant and gives people a since of belonging, at least I believe so.

Gravatar review by JENNIFER M.
JENNIFER M.

"Global avatar"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use, you just have to be registered in Wordpress since it belongs to the same company. It integrates with LinkedIn, Google, Twitter, Youtube and others. Update the profile picture on all these platforms immediately. It's free.

What do you dislike?

I've no complaints about this software. It works perfectly for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's very useful to identify you or your company on the Internet.

I'm one of those who like to write in forums so I like to identify myself when doing it. I think it makes my opinions more real and gives it a personal touch.

Gravatar review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to use... mostly"

What do you like best?

I like that Gravatar is easy to use, and that the process is streamlined.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it’s an additional step to add a photo for another (third party) site. For instance, when using WordPress, I would have to log into Gravatar in order to upload a profile pic to WordPress. Not bad, just a little time consuming and inconvenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It seems relatively easy to use, other than it being an "extra" step in the process. Streamlining it somehow would be more effective, in my opinion. Either way, though, I will continue using Gravatar because I'm now familiar with it and have already established a rhythm with WordPress, etc.

I haven’t noticed any problems, or that there have been any solved. Overall, that’s a good thing.

Gravatar review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"One Time Profile Maker"

What do you like best?

It's a nice idea- to make a single profile and upload an avatar that you can then use across a multitude of websites. Whether it be posting comments on news articles or signing up for profile on a new website, you can bring your pre-made profile avatar and profile photo with you, without tediously having to make any new accounts.

What do you dislike?

Like I said- it's a nice idea. But for me, I can't think of any practical use that I would want it for, and I can't imagine that anyone I know would want to use it, either. In the age of a lack of digital privacy, I don't want all of my information following me around and being tracked across every website I visit. The anonymity of the internet, while sometimes dangerous and detrimental, has it's upsides and positive impacts as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's no harm in giving it a try, if you're interested and want to see if it works for you.

I wasn't able to utilize the program in any way that benefitted me or my business, but this could be a good solution for someone who has an online presence, and wants their information to stay streamlined across a variety of online platforms.

Gravatar review by Administrator

"Good experience using Gravatar!"

What do you like best?

What I like about Gravatar is that it helps people to recognize active users easily because of their avatar. While it is hard to remember names, it is very easy to identify a specific image. You also do not have to post your original picture so it addresses our privacy concerns as well.

What do you dislike?

I had a Wordpress account but it was tied to an old email address. Gravatar had my avatar linked to a defunct email address which they say I could not delete but I could add a new email address.This seems to be a very common problem with gravatar I believe

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Gravatar is a very good product. It helps you drive more engagement with your potential customers on your website and blogs. It gives a unique identity to all the users that remains consistent across different platforms . It's a unique product. It helps your employees and users with their privacy as well.

User avatars of any kind provide a improved user experience for your WordPress website by enabling differentiation between users in your community.It helps users to have their own unique identity. Gravatars encourage engagement by prompting readers to leave comments and participate in the conversations in the comments sections on posts and pages of your website.It drives more engagement with your potential clients on your website or blog. More engagement ultimately leads to more sales.

"I LOVE GRAVATAR!"

What do you like best?

First of all, I'm a huge Wordpress and Automattic fan and Gravatar is one of their products. Obviously, that gives it a huge advantage in terms of integration with Wordpress.

Gravatar allows you to upload a photo as your avatar so it's your profile photo on every Wordpress site you use or comment on. It's that simple!

Easy to use and best of all, it's free for site owners and users. It also with every Wordpress.com account which is great!

What do you dislike?

Wish they had a mobile SDK (iOS and Android) so apps can integrate with it.

I don't have to upload an avatar to every Wordpress site I engage with.

Gravatar review by Stacy  R.
Stacy R.

"Gravatar for business!"

What do you like best?

I like Gravatar fot the ease of use. Gravatar allows me to add a image/avatar to my Wordpress website so that my website/blog visitors can have a visual to the username.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that fact that I have to have a separate website to maintain the avatar, instead of having website integration.

The benefit is having images and/or visuals for my users and visitors.

Gravatar review by Rafaela C.
Rafaela C.

"Simple and amazing"

What do you like best?

The fact that many sites use Gravatar and that way my picture is filled automatically

What do you dislike?

I think more sites may use Gravatar and I think could be an App to manage my account in Gravatar

Have to always upload my picture in many sites and each one of them has a different picture of me.

Gravatar review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Great way to display avatars on your website!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can give my customers or readers a way to show there own personal avatar on our website without the customer doing anything at all! If they have setup a GRAVATAR, then there personal avatar displays on our website when commenting.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Gravatar. I've not had any problems for as long as I've used it.

Instead of choosing a universal avatar to assign to customers or readers, we use Gravatar instead and let them be in control! Customers like having things personalized just for them.

Gravatar review by Ryan D.
Ryan D.

"Unique Avatar For my many uses on the web"

What do you like best?

It has my unique avatar on all of my word press comments and sites.

What do you dislike?

I have trouble creating a truly unique avatar

It helps me be reconized while giving feedback to other workers sites and when they do that for me.

Gravatar review by Timothy C.
Timothy C.

"Gravatar is an awesome univeral tool!"

What do you like best?

It works across many platforms and applications across the world.

What do you dislike?

It could have some additional features and such for sharing etc.

I am solving universal recognition of users and friends. I have been able to more quickly identify people and groups.

Gravatar review by User

"Does the job, could be more intuitive"

What do you like best?

This tool allows us to use a nice looking profile across platforms

What do you dislike?

It took some time to figure out how to create and edit a profile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give yourself some time to figure out the platform and make sure you have your appropriate login information (like WordPress) handy.

Our business published on multiple platforms, and this tool lets us use a single profile as we publish and communicate with clients to keep our identity and branding consistent.

Gravatar review by User in Higher Education

"Useful cross-platform app "

What do you like best?

I like how easily Gravatar translates across different websites and interfaces. It makes it very easy to have one social profile across the Internet.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like the limited biography field and social links. Sometimes I might want to link to my LinkedIn, but there isn’t functionality for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s very simple to pick up and use but somewhat limited

Gravatar helps me maintain my personal brand across the Internet.

Gravatar review by User

"Nice platform to have the same profile"

What do you like best?

How easy is to configure gravatar and how can we have the profile across platforms and websites.

Love this idea.

What do you dislike?

I don't have nothing that i dislike in gravatar. It does the job done really well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is fantastic having the same picture across the websites and don't need to upload a new one.

Don't need to upload a picture in multiple websites. Since it allways use the gravatar picture.

Gravatar review by User

"Helps people meet each other"

What do you like best?

It's very useful for bloggers who work in one niche and want to be visible among others. Also, it could be used for outreach.

What do you dislike?

I've just started use it so any complains now

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare a good picture and don't change it very often - people won't identify you then.

Outreach

Guest Blogging

Gravatar helps to be visible and perform better as people start recognizing your face.

Gravatar review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not user friendly at all the concept behind it is great"

What do you like best?

Having the same profile picture on different sites and networks is great, the concept is great and I love the idea, it's also simple to upload a new photo and understand how it works.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how hard it is to navigate around the site, I don't find it very user friendly and it looks outdated and old, there isn't much content on the site to read either.

I've used Gravatar to update all my forum profile pictures with a image of my latest offers for the month, this saves me time from updating it constantly on every forum we participate on.

Gravatar review by Administrator

"A great universal login avatar system, but is it needed?"

What do you like best?

It's good to that man sites use Gravatar and it automatically uses the same avatar as a profile picture.

What do you dislike?

It's not really needed. It's a good feature but not really something I couldn't do without.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product if you don't want to have your users re-upload avatars.

It's good to have our company users all not having to re-upload their avatars.

"Another "

What do you like best?

The nice one plugin that helps to both blogger and visitor too. Helps to avoid spamming on blogs sites as well as identifying the user.

What do you dislike?

As a marketer and reader, I have nothing dislike in that plugin rather it helps to avoid spamming.

We use Gravatar for our Wordpress blogs, It helps me to avoid spam comments on our blogs.

Gravatar review by Steven J.
Steven J.

"good idea and implemention"

What do you like best?

Very wide integrations and very easy to set up with a WordPress plugin like jetpack.

What do you dislike?

It can bloat a website sometimes, and since gravatar caching is an issue, it may slow done your google pagespeed sccore.

It make commenting, posting, and creating a profile easier with websites. One benefit is users only need to set their photo once.

Gravatar review by User in Financial Services

"Gravatar Review"

What do you like best?

I like the creativity and options that the program offers in terms of avatars. It really encourages differentiation between users which is a huge benefit.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it reduces speed for my WordPress website's pages to load fully which is something that seems to be tough to move around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Needs to be quicker

Gravatar solves the business problem of monotony in the workplace in terms of online profiles by giving each user a unique avatar to help bring some variety into the entire process.

Gravatar review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"Best image making site ever"

What do you like best?

The ease with which you can create your avatar/image on Gravatar is beyond amazing. The seamless experience is unmatched by any website.

What do you dislike?

I’ve always been a fan of Gravatar, and have never really disliked anything. The side tends to get slow at times, but apart from that there’s nothing which is there to dislike. Social media integration can also be improved.

The UI/UX is amazing, and the Gravatar image follows everywhere where a website is gravatar enabled. Time wastage is saved by the image.

"Choose your look"

What do you like best?

A consistent image that follows you across sites. You always know if something is from you.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything about Gravatar that I don't like yet. I'll edit this posting if I do.

Giving customers a look that they can feel comfortable with.

Gravatar review by Nicole I.
Nicole I.

"Gravatar is revolutionary"

What do you like best?

I think Gravatar is excellent to be implemented for companies to display an avatar next to different posts, etc. It's pretty up and coming and revolutionary for the 21st century.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I disliked currently with Gravatar.

I haven't used in a business setting yet.

Gravatar review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Gravatar lasts forever"

What do you like best?

I like that the one gravatar account I made ages ago continues to function constantly whenever I log in with the linked email.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it is hard to modify the account picture used

Gravatar makes me recognizable to my clients

Gravatar review by Agency in Financial Services
Agency in Financial Services

"Minimal integrations "

What do you like best?

Hosts image and provides direct link and integrates with Wordpress, I like that it resizes images as well for profile photos

What do you dislike?

I do not like that it does not have a direct integration with hubspot. I want to be able to upload my image from gravatar straight to hubspot

It solves my business problems for email signatures! I don’t have to go to other file hosting sites to upload my personalized photos for profiles

Gravatar review by User

"Gravatar - a very useful service"

What do you like best?

It has solved the problem of having to import my pictures every-time. Downloading an image from the email and uploading it when you are on a different computer is a pain. Now that problem is solved.

What do you dislike?

The user experience can be better. Right now it is not that great.

The main benefit is ease of registration in multiple websites

Gravatar review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"cute application for creating avatars"

What do you like best?

I like the options for the avatars. they make it very fun to make and it doesnt seem too complicated when

What do you dislike?

There doesnt need to be a use for avatars all the time, so i dont use it often which is unfortuante because making them are fun.

Using a similar art work for profile pics then varying headshots

"Marketing Manager"

What do you like best?

Its the multiple options they provide to choose from..

What do you dislike?

Making it easier to implement would be good.

Having the same consistent avatar all throughout web is useful in building a unique identity

Gravatar review by Administrator

"Very seamless, easy to implement"

What do you like best?

I like using Gravatar avatars on websites

What do you dislike?

It's hard to install on node platforms with React

Image uploading and storing

Learning about Gravatar?

* We monitor all Gravatar reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Categories