DataCAD Reviews & Product Details

What is DataCAD?

DataCAD is a professional-level Architectural CADD program for design, presentation, and documentation. DataCAD is one of the few software applications that are developed specifically for Architects, and it is the only CADD software ever to be endorsed by the American Institute of Architects (ca. 1987). Originally developed by an architectural firm more than 30 years ago, DataCAD is one of the stalwarts of the CAD industry.

DataCAD Screenshots

DataCAD Reviews

1-25 of 63 total DataCAD reviews
Architect/Principal

"Principal / Architect"

What do you like best?

I like its logical ease of use along with its ability to do any task i need. you don't need much support in Data Cad but when you do the team at Data Cad are a great help. i like the fact that they are continuously sending out new features and add-ons to improve productivity while keeping the price at the same rate.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there is not much i dislike. i have used many of the other major CAD programs in the past and i still prefer Data cad by far. if there is a dislike it would be that some tasks can be preformed in several different ways and it is up to you to find the best that suits you. Some tasks are just not explained in detail from Datacad at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't overlook Datacad when considering buying a package, This is a powerful program that can do everything you need in the architectural industry. i would recommend talking to a Datcad user and asking questions for your specific needs.

I can use DatCad for the most simplest jobs or the most complicated jobs all by myself. Minimal staff are required in the office making it more competitive.

Principal

"DataCAD - the versatile software!"

What do you like best?

1. Robust and flexible allowing ideas to be developed from basic 2D or 3D sketch designs through to complete detailed construction documentation drawings,

2. Suitable for small projects through to larger, more complex projects including high rise buildings, residential, office, hospitality, shopping malls, medical, educational and institutional projects etc. and will allow users to work either in the same office or collaboratively across the country or around the world using file sharing options back to a master file(s),

3. Includes a variety of design output techniques for presentation, either as electronic drawings or animated/user-controlled 3D project models. It also includes a large number of file import/export options allowing projects to be shared with consultants and clients,

4. Strong user-control over most entities or objects within a drawing file, allowing users the ability to personalize their drawings and ensure drawings 'read' correctly with good line weight definition and other techniques associated with traditional construction documentation,

5. Work can be done in either 2D, 3D or parametric 3D/2D and includes a host of powerful tools to streamline the transition from concept to developed design to construction drawings,

6. Is straight forward to use and operate without the complexities associated with full BIM sofwares. DataCAD's flexible approach allows projects to use a combination of entities, objects and techniques to create the output drawings. This allows users the option of either modelling a full virtual 3D model to extract the 2D documentation, or create a less detailed 3D model then progress the 2D output views to completion,

7. The software doesn't 'expire' each year requiring a forced payment to be able to open a drawing. Upgrading is optional, and the affordability makes renewing the license a no-brainer!

8. DataCAD has been around for over 35 years which reflects on its wide user-base satisfaction and industry acceptance,

9. Has a good user-support network and public Forum,

10. It's enjoyable to use!

What do you dislike?

1. Development in the parametric objects/entities has been slow,

2. Scope for improvement in the editing of 3D objects/entities and view settings,

Recommendations to others considering the product:

1. Understand the type of projects your office works on, who you interact with and what level of drawing file information is needed to successfully design and output a project,

2. Don't follow the 'crowd' or get caught up in the hype - if BIM appears in all the media, it may not be ideal for your situation,

3. Give DataCAD an honest go, get on the Forum, which is free, and ask questions,

4. Explore and experiment with the software,

1. All projects are designed directly in DataCAD from initial sketch design onwards. This allows the ideas to be continually developed in the one software as it progresses through the various stages.

2. It's quick to use so there's time benefits compared to other offices that may use more than one software to arrive at a set of presentation, DA or CD drawings.

3. There's benefits in keeping the work methodology and project file structure 'simple' when compared to full BIM projects that 'eat up' time in other areas of file management and having to model everything and anything to be able to output the drawing set. My experience is DataCAD has a better balance between simplistic design models (ie. SketchUp), and time consuming full BIM models (ie. Revit, ArchiCAD etc.).

"The best architectural drafting software"

What do you like best?

The tools are pretty intuitive and the menu system gives you immediate access to its capabilities. Training time for new hires was negligible. Using it to the best of its capabilities took longer to learn but people were typically productive within a day or two.

What do you dislike?

Recent improvements to DataCAD have made it's capabilities less transparent. There are keyboard shortcuts required to access some of its functions whereas previously it was all available from 2 menus with further nested menus beneath. Improvements that have been made recently seem to be tweaks aimed primarily at long time users.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't fall for the marketing hype of competitors. DataCAD can actually provide you with the tools needed for design and contract documents. You will be free to design and document what you wish. You won't be fighting the software to accomplish what you want to. You can utilize it without extensive software training required or a long learning curve.

Its been over 30 years since I began using DataCAD thanks to an employer who sent me to a three day training session. It made coming to work every day a distinct pleasure knowing that I had excellent tools to work with. It also offered sufficient tools and flexibility to devise countless ways to improve efficiency in drafting. I loved the control it gave me to accurately draw architecture down to the smallest detail. I also enjoyed the 3D modelling capabilities of the software. I'm mostly retired now so regrettably do not have as much time to use the software.

(Myself Only)

"Best CAD software & company for architects"

What do you like best?

Functionality like an architect thinks. Learning curve and ease of use to get great end results are the best.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I have been a part of the beta testing teams for program improvements for a number of years. The DataCAD team just keeps improving the functionality and abilities of the program. After using DataCAD for the past 35 years, it is still so much fun to create 2D and 3D drawings and designs using it that I don't want to retire.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have used it exclusively for the past 34 years and continue loving it every day as much as I did in 1985 when I first discovered DataCAD. The learning curve is a breeze compared to other CAD programs I have tried. It was created by an architect and computer programmer so it has the functionality of how architects think and draw. The original creator of the software is still the software writer and is accessible by email and phone. That kind of service doesn't exist with any other software, anywhere.

Makes me a better architect. Quick 3D roof design visualizations makes all of my roofs correct. 3D models exported to SketchUp and rendered show clients realistic final designs. 2D drafting tools and methods allow my construction drawings to be detailed, accurate, and informative. Leave little for contractors to complain about in the field (well, it diminishes the complaining, anyway)

Proprietor
(Myself Only)

"My 25th year anniversary with DataCad"

What do you like best?

I started drawing by hand in 1967 with a sharp pencil, straight edge, compass, multiple angles, etc. From there I advanced to a drafting machine (faster but some accuracy lost in the nature of the mechanical arm). In 1983, I started my own home planning design firm and worked with the traditional tools until 1994, when I became aware of DataCad. I purchased DataCad 5 on 3 1/2" disks on 5/2/1994, for $149.95 and hired an employee to learn it at a work station next to my drawing board. I forced myself to learn the CAD drafting by teaching that employee, and there were many questions so I had to learn it well. Over the years I have watched the AutoCad/Autodesk crowd become slaves to their software to such an extent that I have occasionally wondered who is working for whom.

What do you dislike?

I didn't dive deep into DataCad's 3D capabilities because I kept my computer hardware investment to a minimum. If the 3D had not been so memory intense and time consuming when it was first offered, I would have enjoyed getting to know it better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DataCad will evolve into a more presentation-based software like the other major CAD companies, but it remains to be the perfect solution for the construction documents necessary to build.

DataCad gives you complete control of every line that makes up every part of your design. Although I only explored the 3D components, the 2D capability was everything I needed to provide my clients with the reliable and artfully original designs and plans they required.

UA

"Still the One!"

What do you like best?

DataCAD is all about Architects - 2d, 3d, workflow, customization, integration. Not all Architects have the exact same needs and are creative, independent individuals. The team at DataCAD and their software respond to that.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is having to deal with people who think Autocad/Revit is gospel and having to work with their files and data. Nothing throws a wrench in a project faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep an open mind...DataCAD offers so much more than the other industry darlings.

Workflow is never a concern with DataCAD, nor is data integration with other software or document production.

"DataCAD Drafting for Architects"

What do you like best?

The program was designed with Architects and Engineers in mind as the primary users. The symbol and built in walls/doors/windows make drafting simple and easy for inexperienced and experienced CAD users.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, the program is very versatile, it lets you modify a lot and make custom settings. The only time I am annoyed is due to user error when I hit the wrong button or short cut. The 3d portion of the program is there, but it is not as refined (or "Smart") as the many other CAD options that are available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a 2d program that can do it all, look no further. If you like have 3d elements incorporated into your design, you can do that to!

The company I work for uses DataCAD for 2d architectural drawings and basic 3d models to show clients. Personally, I use DataCAD to make 3d .stl models for my 3d printer.

Architect

"I have been with DataCad since it's inception."

What do you like best?

I have been with DataCad since it's inception. I like the 2D drawing that is design specifically for Architectural drafting. I like the fact that it's ready to use right out of the box and not having to buy add-on's for the program to work.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It meets and ecxeeds all expectations. 3D is improving with each generation. This may be a issue for some users but I send my 3D rendering out so it does not impact my eng use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The cost and ease of training users. Intigration with other cad programs.

The program seamlessly integrates with other cad programs importing and exporting DWG files.

(Myself Only)

"DataCAD user for many years"

What do you like best?

I was one of the last Architect's in my area to shift to CAD. The old dog new tricks thing. I had tried AutoCAD and spent a lot of money on it only to get frustrated and give up. I tried DataCAD and could not believe how intuitive and easy it was to use. I was hooked instantly and have been honing my CAD skills ever since. DataCAD is an awesome program.

What do you dislike?

For my purposes, DataCAD fills my needs completely.

DataCAD fulfills my 2D drawings needs for my Architectural practice and has been for many years.

"Longtime, devoted user"

What do you like best?

Efficient to use, easily customizable, powerful, easy to teach, great updates

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. I have no complaints.

DataCAD helps make it efficient to produce Construction Documents, as quickly as possible. This software is designed to allow the fewest keystrokes, which makes a day of drafting ultimately productive.

"Production Architect"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and speed, being as fast as you can be, on the keyboard! It has all the tools needed in order to realize professional construction documents. Simple and small files for visualization. Lifetime licensing system - I HATE the subscription system

What do you dislike?

On my 12 version, panning not working with mouse middle button pressed ....

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do not BIM, then DATACAD is one of the best choice

Design & Drafting, Production drawings. Very cost effective software.

Architecture & Planning

"A Good CAD Product that is highly underrated and often overlooked"

What do you like best?

This cad product was developed by architects for architects to use. Of all the major cad software that I have used (most of them), I am most favorably impressed with DataCad, It's relatively easy to learn, easy to use and offers the ability to draw in 2D and 3D. The software allowed me to accomplish every graphic requirement encountered in my day to day building design documentation workflow.

What do you dislike?

It is not in wide distribution, thus not very well supported. Some interactive smart BIM entities require editing in order to be respponsive under some conditions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this software for use on small scale to mid sized projects. I would be reluctant to execute a very complex project of large scale using this software.

I was able to develop reliable graphic documentation of building projects as part of my professional practice

Architecture & Planning

"DataCAD use for over 28 years."

What do you like best?

Why so long? As a very early user and co-founder of Dbug the DataCAD Boston User Group, the best answer I can give you is that it has been an integral tool for our office.

Why haven't you tried other CAD programs? During this time we have owned and used several other programs, however over time we always came back to DataCAD because it is just quicker and easier to get things done, results in less cost to our clients and

What do you dislike?

The program has been honed over the years and my dislikes have disappeared. Yes, there are always improvements which can be made, and the developer has a healthy program of stable updates, made within the context of user review and suggestions. So I do welcome those improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look carefully at ease of use, support, documentation, features and yearly costs.

Architecture

Providing clients services at reasonable cost.

Providing visualization, conceptual, schematic and contract services.

Efficient practice of Architecture

"architect using DCAD for 20+ years"

What do you like best?

Intuitive and easy to use, but powerful CAD software ideally setup for 2D architectural design and drafting.

What do you dislike?

Not as popular or widely used as AutoCAD

Very helpful in turning ideas into CAD drawings, with multiple ways to accomplish standard commands and a common-sense intuitive interface that can be modified to maximize efficiency.

"Datacad review"

What do you like best?

DataCad has a very short learning curve. A software designed by architects for architects. Out of the box you are productive and servicing the client! The user interface is uncluttered with dialog boxes. The import and export operations are seamless and do an outstanding job of conversion. Multi scale plotting is the best thing since sliced bread!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about DataCad. I have been a faithful user since 1986!.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

None

Architecture! Preparing construction drawings fast and accurately is the power of the software.

Productive right away!

Design

"Review of DataCAD Software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. This program was created by Architects/Designers for Architects/Designers, and it is obvious that this is the case in the way the application works and functions. I have made my living for 21 years now using this software and it has never let me down. The staff has been phenomenal with the response and attention to detail. There are not enough positive things to say about both the software and the company itself.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that is toward a negative with this software is the lack of 'smart' entities. DataCAD moved toward smart walls, windows and doors awhile back, but the roofs and floors have been a long time coming. However, they did work hard to integrate with other software products that make up for the current deficiency.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For the investment, there is no other product on the market that gives as much as this CAD program does. The staff is wonderful and responsive and the product is great on the return. Easy to learn, yet very powerful and customizable.

The benefits realized are simply the ability to make a living in a very competitive environment. DataCAD offers enough in the way of modeling to add the 'sizzle' to presentations, while making the day to day use of CAD as simple and user friendly as any program on the market (even more friendly than those I have tried). Summary, it allows me to keep my overhead costs down with its very competitive pricing, while giving me enough tools to compete with any company at my level. Very pleased with the costs versus return.

Architecture & Planning

"DataCAD an excellent user-friendly Professional CAD program"

What do you like best?

DataCAD can be used both with a mouse or with the keyboard, and there are multiple ways to do most everything. It was made for Architects and Designers so it is in many ways intuitive and very easy to learn. I once asked a new hire to learn the program and he came in the next day fully up to speed and ready to produce...easy to learn. DataCAD also makes it easy to made 3D models right from the 2D drawings. And the 3D images are great for short movies, interior or exterior scenes. I have worked in 3D in front of residential and corporate clients to help understanding and communication, and it has made for successful design resolutions every time.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to not like with DataCAD, it is constantly being refined to be current with technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have used DataCAD since 1995 and it has been an excellent choice for me and my business. I have looked at and reviewed other CAD programs both before and after I got DataCAD and non of them fit the bill as well as DataCAD.

I find that the ease of use of Datacad in a group setting with clients is an excellent, non threatening, way to build trust and communication with both residential and commercial clients. Everyone can visualize in 3D, so people feel that they understand the project and helps them read the plans.

Principal Architect
Research

"DataCAD "

What do you like best?

I like that DataCAD integrates everything I need to design, present, and produce my architectural work in a single CAD product that is priced low enough for even young architects starting up with staggering student loans to afford.

I like that after using it for over 20 years I can honestly say I was never disappointed in it's performance or the support that I received. I think the support was perhaps the most outstanding aspect. Once you grasp how comprehensive it is and easy to learn and use DataCAD is, you get spoiled by that and just expect that and begin to take it for granted, but the support really builds loyalty. I have called after hours and had the CEO Mark Madura answer the telephone. On that occasion, he listened to my explanation of a problem working on a huge convention center and oceanfront ship terminal project competition. He diagnosed that the project was exceeding the maximum project file size. He help me make custom modifications to the DataCAD software on the spot, that made it possible to expand the maximum file capacity by a factor of four times, to carry on with our work. We won the competition. I have used DataCAD to design every project I have built for over twenty years. Architecture is almost always a partnership and I can honestly say DataCAD is the best partner I have ever had.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that the over whelming market domination of AutoDesk AutoCAD and Revit has made it more difficult for all CAD products to inter-operate and inter-communicate in the CAD space. The time and money wasted by the engineering and Architectural professions as a whole, training and retraining and adapt to the ever changing strategies AutoDesk has devised to create obstacles to the free exchange of CAD files with anyone but themselves, and at times even within their own product range, was astoundingly counter productive for every one. DataCAD and others in the CAD marketplace have always managed to stay abreast of their shenanigans, but, AutoDesk's restraints of trade have been relentlessly annoying to users of anything else. Luckily their products are so exorbitantly expensive that the small inconveniences of dealing with their proprietary standards manipulations was well rewarded by the money and training time I continually saved using DATACAD software at the heart of my practice .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use DataCAD.

It really is all you need to do what you need to do to get good buildings designed and built.

There are lots of products designed to disrupt your practice, put your software vendor in control of how you work, drain your wallet and mire you in constant adaptions to change. None of that will make you a dime.

DataCAD is the one indispensable tool I need to produce all of the most important CAD deliverables that come out of my Architecture practice. It is, I believe, the most cost effective tool of its kind. It has always been easy enough to install, open, and learn, merely by exploring as you use it, that from the first day thru twenty years of using it, I have never needed formal training. The global community of users is very active and helpful. The "Cheap Tricks" user newsletter is a fantastic and indispensable resource for discovering the aggregated wisdom and best practices of the global user base. The product support is accessible, affordable and excellent. I have successfully used DataCAD as my only CAD tool for the last twenty years of my forty three years practicing Architecture. My work often called for me to collaborate with users of many other ever changing CAD tools that have come and gone, and I have throughout those many years, always found it possible to produce my design solutions and integrate the work successfully.

Architecture & Planning

"My livelihood depends on it!"

What do you like best?

Datacad is easy to use and easy to learn yet powerful enough to do all my commercial and residential projects efficiently for the last 20 years. I've had drafters up and running in a day. One of my favorite things is how flexible and customizable this program is. I also like that I can import and export to dwg files and dxfs.

What do you dislike?

One thing is the way it handles hatching around curved lines. I end up having to manually hatch any areas that have curved lines. Too time consuming. I also don't like having to log in and out all the time. I use this at the office and at home so I have to log in and out at each place. Sometimes I forget to do that :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check out the free trial version before buying any other CAD software and I'm sure you'll purchase Datacad. That's what I did back in 1995 when I was trying to save up for Autocad. I've never regretted my decision to go with Datacad.

Datacad has enabled me to be in business for myself. It is much less expensive than Autocad but just as capable for my projects. I am on the subscription plan because I believe in supporting businesses that support me.

Architecture & Planning

"Software by architects, for architects."

What do you like best?

Cad operators who work in multi-software offices claim that DataCAD does more and does it faster than other cad software. There is a "light" version that is very inexpensive and will produce professional looking construction documents for any need. I believe Rhino and Sketchup are both primarily 3d, but I've heard others claim they can do condocs with sketchup also.

DataCAD has a very short learning curve and there is a free trial download, so give it a try. I've used it since '95 in my office. It has a dedicated user base and responsive management. For instance, yesterday at 5 pm, somebody on their forum suggested a software enhancement. There was a short discussion among forum members about advantages and options. The CHIEF CAD ENGINEER at DataCAD jumped into the discussion and by noon today he had revised the software and the guy's idea will be in the next upgrade. AutoCad won't do that.

The "lite" version is only $295 and includes most features except "x-ref's", the full program is $1,295, including a lot of 3d capability, and is worth the full price for "x-ref" ability.

What do you dislike?

They haven't marketed fully enough to develop a strong customer base. Almost one else in my area uses it, except those to whom I've bragged on its abilities. On the other hand, the transfer to/from other offices via .dwg translation is easy/painless.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a free trial version. Give it a chance. There is a "light" version that you can use and then upgrade to full version with no loss of value. The ability to work EASILY with layers, images, and x-refs is great.

The computer has completely overhauled what I do. 40 years ago it was all on paper, with smudges, erasers, torn paper, and non-parallel lines. With the computer, every print is as perfect as I can draft it. DataCAD makes it easy.

General Manager/Owner

"Money maker!"

What do you like best?

The "go to view" option, among hundreds of other. Like in no other software. I didn't now I was so addicted to this feature until I tried to find it in other much more expensive software. I firstly met Datacad at version 6, under DOS environment. I laughed at Autocad typing brothers. At that time...96-97, I think no other soft was better. I do engineering, structural design. Drawing the 3D model and then using sections to make the reinforcement was a huge advantage. The possibility to work with all building levels superimposed and "open" one or more stories made a huge speed advantage upon any other known software. Using 3D construction made a BIM type approach so easy, years before the concept even appeared. The philosophy of the basic training manual was great: "know what you want to draw before you draw it"!

Also a great feature, I did not experience program crashes since v12. I still am stuck at v12, as It was maximum I needed for my work.

What do you dislike?

The lack of reports and intelligent BOM. As far as I wanted to study the programming language, DCAL I did not have the time to find a way to make quick reports about surfaces, volumes, etc. In my Design&Build company, it is vital to put on the table quick quotations. This is where my need turned to a more sophisticated piece of software: Nemetscheck ALLPLAN, connected for structural design with Scia Engineer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very good software, reliable workflow, excellent possibilities to make a project from scratch to detailing.

Features that you will not find in other much more expensive software.

Using shortcuts makes the work that easy that you can almost draw with your eyes closed...:)

All type of structural and architectural plans, from scratch to execution plans. All that I made until 2013 was Datacad powered. And I don't know how to be grateful to those beautiful minds that designed and developed this software.

Inspector II
Government Administration

"Amazing product from the horn of plenty "

What do you like best?

Datacad is the easiest program to learn using the tutorial inside the owners manual. Some of the steps have not been updated and are out of order, but if you read the whole section it becomes inherent the order the tasks are to be done. 3D drawing is as simple as 2D. Learned most of the program in about 6 weeks of part time use.

What do you dislike?

The user manual is only available in download format and if you want a book to reference in daily use, it must be printed. The prints are in color and that is nice, but it's over 600 pages (all of which are needed). I would have liked to have a book in hand when I got the program but after 2 days of printing and being bound into two volumes I got my book.

Some of the symbols are hard to identify at times. I recommend printing them out to see and label so you can quickly identity and locate the needed symbol.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Price is ideal and subscription services make it more than worth the price of autocad and rivit

I am a draftsman and design residential structure for private citizens. This program allows me to quickly and efficiently design and produce the designs and provide digital models.

Architecture & Planning

"A true gem, that does not get its due recognition"

What do you like best?

DataCAD was created by architects for architects. It is the easiest, most intuitive architectural CAD software out there. Yet I consider it the most powerful as well. I used other CAD products for a time, but when I started using DataCAD it just blew the others away. Especially AutoCAD. If I had to use another CAD program I think I would retire, instead.

What do you dislike?

Only that the program gets no respect. How many new CAD users have even heard of it? It's a shame.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The DataCAD community is a vibrant, active group of dedicated users. The technical support from the company is unparalleled. What other company's CEO will often personally contact you with assistance, sometimes within minutes of contacting them? I consider this software a real gem, and worth being any anyone's arsenal of high quality and affordable CAD programs.

There is NO complicated or expensive training required to use DataCAD, unlike many other programs. It works out of the box, with no add-ons needed. It does architecture out of the box. It is extremely cost effective, at a quarter of the price of other CAD programs. It does not use archaic command line input. It has a feature called GotoViews that has no equal (look it up online) in the CAD community. All of this means we are incredibly productive with this software, at a price point that doesn't hobble a small architectural company.

Architecture & Planning

"Easy to Learn, Easy to Use, AFFORDABLE TO PURCHASE"

What do you like best?

The Datacad CAD Software package is one of the best on the market, for me, it its THE best. Often a company tries to sell you an expensive CAD package, and gives you all their reasons, and there are some good CAD programs out there these days.

However, DataCad is one of those 'gems' you really need to try for yourself.

Its really easy to pick it up, and if you've seen CAD these days, that is saying something.

They keep the same interface iteration after iteration, so you know it will look the same, even if it gets upgraded, which we all know that it will.

For producing really nice, powerful, drawings, this software is simply too easy to learn.

Try it, and you'll love the simplicity of the menus, the easy keyboard shortcuts, and the large number of options for both 3D and 2D exporting and importing. If you have clients who need help to visualize what you are doing, DCAD can do that quite easily. Create your own 3D models, and export them to Sketchup, which will also import back into DCAD, with little effort. Attach your models as XREF's, and bring them into your presentations, with very little effort.

Enjoy the ability to export your models, shaded, or as wireframes for visualization, or render your work in the O2c application, provided within DCAD.

You can even estimate the cost of your projects in a far superior way than square footage approximations, with the Datacad Estimator package, available as an add-on.

If you've spent your career using other CAD programs, this will be a snap to use, and if you've never used CAD before, same thing. Enjoy doing professional quality drawings and spend a fraction of the cost to do it with Datacad 17.

What do you dislike?

Its got a few bugs, and its got a few quirks.

There are some limitations with the modeling aspect, and its not BIM software, but that is understood when one buys this package.

If you dont have an internet connection on the machine which you are using for the software, you'll have to get one. This software lock has to verify the software every 45 days or it will have issues that will result in the software not working fully correctly, thereafter.

Still, these things are a small price to pay, just like the cost of owning DATACAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly consider using Datacad, whether in an office or for your own design work.

Datacad allows professional level drawing, visualization and interoperability in one clean, easy to implement CAD package.

Strongly Recommended.

I am able to do a much better job of design collaboration with my clients, and those with whom we work on a regular basis.

Our clients are able to visualize what we are doing, without spending the time that was needed to allow them to have this understanding, before we began using Datacad.

We have saved the enormous expense of buying more complex software programs, which do largely the same thing, but more tediously, and for far more money.

We've saved our company, and by proxy our clients money all the way around by respecting the bottom line and purchasing Datacad 17 for our office.

Principal

"Solid, huge toolkit with a community for support"

What do you like best?

The DataCAD toolkit is vast. It was designed for Architects by Architects. It runs to 2D and 3D allowing for a complete exploration of preliminary and design development as well as making a complete construction document set. The company is constantly improving the product as well as delivering regular updates that install without interrupting my workflow. The interface can be customized to the way you work. The interface is also responsive to keyboard shortcuts as well as screen based menu choices. The very best is that when a question arises you can get immediate answers from a world community of DataCAD users through two different portals, or, if you are a subscriber, directly from the company support staff. Even the error trapping and recovery, though needed infrequently, works quickly and reliably. They will even receive a bum file and return it to you in working conditions. Outstanding group of people providing outstanding service.

DataCAD has a robust DWG and DXF translator which is often helpful when working with consultants on other platforms. There is also an interface with SketchUp which allows for a great presentation for the client while building data useful later in the project.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find something I dislike. The 3D interface is still a work in progress, but becoming more complete each release.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get a copy and try it out. Obviously there is a learning curve, but tutorials exist and there are books to consult.

Lets me focus on the design solutions and not operating the software.

DataCAD Pricing