Bench Reviews & Product Details

Bench Overview

What is Bench?

Bench does your small business books for you. We'll connect you with one of our in-house bookkeepers. Then, they'll prepare your monthly and year-end financials—so you don't have to. Dedicated bookkeepers, just for you: Real humans. Perfect books. Your bookkeeping team imports bank statements, categorizes transactions, and prepares financial statements every month. Questions? Bench bookkeepers work in-house, and they respond within one business day. Data you can't do without: Monthly financial statements and expense overviews keep you in control of your money. At-a-glance visual reports help you see the big picture and give you actionable insights to help you grow your business. You’ll never be in the dark again. More hours in your day: Less time bookkeeping means more time to focus on what you really care about — like helping your business succeed. Try us out for free: Sign up for a trial, and get full access to Bench. We'll do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.

Bench Details
Discussions
Bench Community

Bench Accounting is a firm that automates accounting tasks to organize the financials of small businesses, independent contractors, and entrepreneurs.

Bench

Location
Already have Bench?
Exec. Director
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We were exploring moving from a QB based local accountant approach to something simpler and more automated and Bench was more than happy to help us with that transition. The staff is cool, knowledgeable and not pushy. The contracts are flexible and your account reps will make you feel comfortable. The software is clean and headache free. Highly recommend giving them a try! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They don't make it complicated and our personal accountant is super easy going and responsive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you're used to all the tools and control of QB this will take some getting used to but well worth exploring. If I could run checks and payroll through Bench I could probably leave my other software all together. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm solving the problem of long, complicated meetings with our CPA. This is more of a real time, chat based approach that I can do at my own pace. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I outsourced my bookkeeping to bench, the insights provided by the analytics dashboard are helpful and available as the data from your past month of spending does. their patience in keeping me up to date is valuable. the interface is easy and well designed and the team is always on top of it and a pleasure to work with. Then there are the webinars! Bench.co did everything they could to make sure their customers understood options for covid relief. They are a huge reason I was able to navigate so readily and help others as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

A Well Thought-out customer experience with new offerings and support for covid relief etc Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not sure of any downsides, I look forward to the future where all my business banking needs Including merchant services can be met by bench. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Spending less time on finances, getting data on cash flow, staying on top of business spending and tax time line Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

They helped organize and categorize all my books which would have taken me countless hours! The communication is fast and it helps take the books off my plate and allows me to focus on running other parts of my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The most helpful thing about Bench is you get a dedicated person who works on your books every month so the communication is stellar. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The downside of bench is, there is no downside. It's well priced and gives you peace of mind. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Just do it. You'll thank yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Balancing my books ad getting everything ready for taxes and everything else. They really take care of it all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I turned to Bench to handle my bookkeeping for my content creation business. This year was big for me, so I had a lot of expenses on different credit cards to maximize my cashback rate. Bench did historical bookkeeping for 6 months and is currently doing my ongoing bookkeeping for 2020. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Bench system is simple and intuitive. It's very easy to get in contact with your bookkeeper via chat, phone, or however you like to communicate. They get back to you quickly. The Bench developers have gone above and beyond to make it as easy as possible to use the UI. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, this has confused the bookkeeping team repeatedly, and they keep making rookie mistakes such as listing transactions twice. They've also listed ACH withdrawals for credit card payments as an "expense" when they have already added the actual line transactions on the credit card as an expense. I turned to Bench to have another second set of eyes on my bookkeeping so I didn't have to bear the burden alone, but sadly I don't feel confident in my Bench bookkeeping team. I feel overwhelmed and like I have to babysit them and catch their mistakes. Yes, it's great for a business owner to be involved in their bookkeeping and make sure they stay updated with what's happening, but we should not have to continually worry about the accuracy of our books when we're paying hundreds per year to have it done for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Only use Bench if your bookkeeping requirements are EXTREMELY simple - like one business credit card and one business checking account. If you're playing the cashback game and/or have income coming in from many places like an influencer such as myself, I do not recommend Bench. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bench provides the info I need to do a tax return at the end of the year. It's also great for tracking business expenses. It's an easy way to go in and review your income and what you've spent with your business for the year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder & CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bench helps to support my business with accounting and management of finances. It has been crucial in understanding the health of my business while allowing time to focus on things that will continue to build my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to upload documents and communicate directly with my accountant. Communication is quick, timely and very responsive which helps in feeling like a valued customer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike; however I would like a cheaper version, or a version where I did not have to upload any 3rd party documents. I still must deliver some reports and give feedback on transactions, which I guess is a normal part of the process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bench helps to organize and manage my books and accounting. I had been struggling to feel confident in business finances, but this helps to manage and give insight into the business with very little work on my part. I am now able to focus on other aspects of the business where my skills are better suited. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GH
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Balancing accounts personal/buisness, tax services and accounting knowledge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The staff I have talked to has all been really interested and guinly honest with feedback regarding the health of the buisness while keep it light and options. Great team here at Bench Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I had alot of transactions needing to be reviewed because I didn't highlight anything. I must have sent the wrong file with only two highlighted. Definitely my error but to save you all time and someone in the future it may be more helpful to send a message say nothing was highlited are these all buisness transactions and move forward from their. Not disappointed atall. A staff member stayed on the phone for some time and resolved the misunderstood transactions. I never felt rushed and we were very thorough. I appreciate it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bench make it possible for me to be ready for tax season without a CPA creating urgency during tax season. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bench.co has completely taken over my entire bookkeeping operation. With a direct connection to my bank, they categorize and keep full track of my journal entries and recreated my chart of accounts to make this more logical and organized. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Direct bank connection. Automatic categorization, and quick questions and answers if they or I am stuck. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Receipt uploading does not attach to the expense directly in an end of month report, but receipts do attach on another screen.

WePay connection is non existent, so still have to manually pull a report for them monthly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

My operation is pretty small, and I could do bookkeeping myself. But it's one more thing to think about. Totally worth the time to having competent, English speaking bookkeepers who I trust.

Really recommend them highly. Excellent communication with team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saves tons of time. Don't have to think about Bookkeeping anymore. Also, makes it extremely easy to see my entire chart of accounts and the percentage of money that flows into each.

One other great positive is they distribute the Payroll tax and create a new expense line item for that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I reached out to Bench to get my books done because I needed to apply for funding. After one of the team members walked me through my financial statements and showed me how the platform worked, I immediately signed up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The software Bench uses is seamless and it's like my bookkeeping is on autopilot. It's the best decision I made for my business this year because I know moving forward it will be a breeze to do my taxes and quickly request my financial statements when needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not I really dislike about Bench. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bench is helping me keep my books done and it's pretty affordable to do so considering I have a startup business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

ThirdSpace Inc. hired Bench to do monthly bookkeeping and help clean up our past books. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Onboarding was very thorough, the UI is easy to follow. I like the concierge service level with an assigned team. Fast response to questions. They refer other services such as lenders for PPP. Nice year-end tax prep package and they were able to fix our 2019 books which were a total mess. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Frankly, no major dislikes. The free month isn't really free...they do a month for you as part of a demo, but in our case it wasn't helpful because we had to go back and clean up 2019 THEN do 2020. It's not quite the same as getting a free month with no service fees. I guess if it was less expensive, that would be preferred, but ThirdSpace Inc. has used many bookkeepers and you often get what you pay for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Solid alternative with an online ease. Takes the burden off dealing with a BK and accountant every month. It has save me a lot of time and effort and headache with my investors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having monthly books prepped that I can give to shareholders is excellent. The UI is easy and not too detailed like using QBO or something. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

They handle all of our day to day bookkeeping Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The fact that I don't have to worry about our books and have someone I trust to handle it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Just wish Capital One would link so that I would not need to pull statements Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We had no to little bookkeeping before bench, now we have very in depth tracking Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bench helped us see how we could be doing our books - professionally and looking great. Our present system is not working for us (it is mostly me or my boss and a spreadsheet), and with Bench doing the bookkeeping we could be spending our time doing more important tasks! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Here are some of the features of Bench that I really appreciated:

- The overview of your account is super easy to understand and navigate

- You get a dedicated bookkeeping team that helps you all day and week

- If you have any questions, their response time is extremely quick!

- You can download reports and present them to your bank if you are looking for a business loan or line of credit

- They have an option for doing your taxes during Tax Season!

- They integrate with Square!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Here are some features I think Bench can benefit from:

- I think Bench could benefit from adding projections or a simulator calculator

- I think their system is very user-friendly, but they could benefit from having some instructions on their site as well.

- Their pricing is fair, but feels high for a small business. Perhaps this just isn't for us? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bench is helping us stay on track of our spending and helps us use the accounting to our advantage by planning based on real data and not just what we think is right. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Social Officer
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bench helps me organize my books and keeps track of my revenue and expense tracking. It's like having a virtual assistant handle your accounting. Very impressed! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that I can communiate with my team anytime via chat. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the service was faster in processing my books-- so I could have the data in more real time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

I would highly recommend bench to others! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

saving time and money! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TE
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Organizing all of my accountanting. In the beginning of COVID i tranisitioned from Quickbooks because it wasnt as user friendly for my needs and they walked me through everystep Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The way it it is easy to understand and get the infomation you need. You have a dedicated team member helping with yourr books and they stay in contact with you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing that I dislike about bench Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Making surre that my books are accurate, organization, management of my time and making sure I am getting the most out of my business expenses and more undestanding of my finances Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OP
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I'm a new business owner. Bench helped get my books set up after the person who was helping out part time couldn't keep up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

No have to do the books myself every month Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The account managers don't always check the uploads before messaging asking for docs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

it's still your business and your financials. make sure you stay on top of them to make sure work gets done Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

allowing me to focus more on my business operations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TE
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bench helped us get our finances up to date (historic accounting) and get us set up for future success. They looked at all our current and past expenses and helped us get an overview that showed us where we are spending too much money, where we are making the most money, and tax breaks we had never thought of . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of bench is how great their on-boarding team is. I know they are sales people and their job is to sell you on their product, but my initial call was very polite and not pushy at all. She simply helped me get started. All the team members you speak to after that are just as knowledgeable and nice to speak to.

Other favorites:

- easy tag system for transactions

- able to comment and correct what the bench bookkeeper has done for you

- great overview and explanation of your business finances

- taught me how to understand “money in transit”

- you can prepay for a whole year and get their discounted price and then you can quit anytime and get the amount you overpaid refunded! That says a lot about how much they believe in their product.

Best part? It helped us get a grip on our project finances and get our project back on track for 2020.No, I take it back. Best part is that unlike quickbooks or wave - someone does it for you 😂 Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Although it is pretty easy to understand and the dashboard is straightforward, it can still be a little difficult to understand what the number mean for your business (if you were not a business major.. I was an art major).

I was also a little disheartened to hear that the bookkeepers are actually just regular people who take a 4 week certifications class. Then again, a program like wave can do it without a human at all - so why would it require much more training? All they are doing is data input so I can understand why they are not using accountants for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

I would recommend that you don’t think of it as an added expense to your budget, but rather than you see it as an opportunity to save. And to make more money. Because the less time you spend looking over business finances - the more time you can spend making more money.

Also, doing bookkeeping is not optional when running a business. It is important for so many reasons, least of all if the IRS comes knocking. This is a way to do bookkeeping while keeping the costs down and results up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Doing accounting and bookkeeping is a headache. In our organization, we try to delegate this to every project leader like myself to do for each project and then hand in at the end of the project or quarter for analysis. I am not good at accounting or bookkeeping and it shows. In order to be able to focus on my job - I need someone to take care of the math for me. And that is what bench does!

A benefit is that come tax time you don’t have to pay a ton of money for a CPA to go through your badly written google sheets. You can hire bench to do your taxes as well. A lot cheaper than getting a full-time accountant/bookkeeper! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Reconciling our books for the past two years and monthly bookkeeping going forward. Also, help making sure that we have records in order for PPP. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy reporting function and very responsive and friendly staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No strategic advice on how to saving money Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Highly recommend for small businesses who want an affordable and easy to use solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saving a lot of time that I used to use on Quickbooks. Bookkeeping and reports look professional and are easy to produce. Easy to track expenses and trim costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business Owner
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Helped organize and collect all my documents to provide accurate monthly monitoring Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Being able to hand off documents and getting questions back to complete Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would like the option of zoom or face to face meeting on a quarterly basis Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bench allows me the piece of mind to be able to know my finances are well taken care of Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO ► REALTOR® | Real Estate Investment Strategy | Buying/Selling of Commercial Properties
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Book keeping and accounting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They communicate very well and keep me updated on the progress Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No complaints so far. They communicate very well Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

I highly recommend their services Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They solve accounting and book keeping issues. I have greatly benefited from their services Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OR
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

fully handles all our bookkeeping, the team is knowledgeable, professional and quick to respond Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

automated service, everything works behind the scenes , available for consultation anytime on how to handle some expenses or investments or distributions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the add on features and costs are extremely uncompetitive Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Not the cheapest but great for bookkeeping and staying financially compliant as a startup Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are a startup so the cost of a bookkeeper and cpa was solved with benchmark, completely tied with our banks and able to accept uploaded cash receipts is a livesaver Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TG
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bookkeeping for my small business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I can look at how well my company is doing with just a few clicks. The charts and graphs are helpful to visually see your progress as a company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is a little expensive for my business right now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Yes, if they can afford their monthly cost, it is a great tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a relatively new business owner, it gives me a peace of mind that things are done correctly as I am learning the ropes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We run a non profit and are constantly having to keep track of everything between the many channels that we have for accepting donations and the many different vendors and programs. Bench simplified everything. Having the ability to email receipts and invoices directly to them or message them through the app about everything and anything book keeping related is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ease of using Bench is a big highlight for me but I think how nice and professional everyone I have worked with at Bench they make you feel like their only client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier to tag and categorize certain transactions for my own records. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

I would use their trial period first to make sure they fit within your needs. They worked for me and I'm so happy I joined Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In the past I had to sit and myself and go through all my transactions and try and match them up and the more I pushed it off the harder it became. Bench does this every month makes it super easy, any questions they have, they'll just message you in the app and you can answer. Bench has given me so much time back I should've done this years ago. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner/Publisher
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bench does all of our bookkeeping for all three of our companies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how Bench auto imports all of our statements and sorts the information for us. It really makes tax season simpler. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are no totals at the bottom of the columns. For example if I want to pull up a figure on how much I made from VRBO or Air BnB payments, I type in VRBO, all of the transaction come up but I have to hand total them myself. It would be nice if there was a way to get a quick total on anything I pull up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

I have all ready recommended the service to others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I don't have to drop off a box of paperwork to a bookkeeper for them to go through and categorize. A lot of it is automated through Bench. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Full Stack Developer
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Usamos a Bench para todos os nossos detentores de reservas Quando migrei para a Bench, eles pegaram todas as coisas que normalmente me deixavam louca e empacotavam tudo cuidadosamente para entregar ao meu contador. Altamente rentável e nos fornece os dados necessários para orientar nossos clientes. Como ter um contador na equipe por um preço muito baixo Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

A gentileza dos contadores e sua dedicação para obter seus livros em ordem com base nas leis do país. Eles dividem tudo de uma forma simples e de fácil digestão Interface muito fácil de usar A gentileza dos contadores e sua dedicação em colocar seus livros em ordem com base nas leis do país. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Preparando os livros para relatórios de negócios de fim de ano e de relance. Editando as mudanças com facilidade, também O relatório e os gráficos são excelentes Intuitivo, a configuração é rápida e fácil Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Ele irá eliminar todos os seus problemas financeiros ao adquiri-lo, Eu recomendo Bench é a ferramenta que vai resolver tudo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Os relatórios e gráficos são excelentes, torna a nossa contabilidade muito mais fácil, etc... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.