Aiven

4.0

Aiven is a managed cloud service hosting for software infrastructure services.

Work for Aiven?

Learning about Aiven?

Aiven Reviews

Ask Aiven a Question
Showing 54 Aiven reviews
Aiven review by Jose Tomas R.
Jose Tomas R.

"Modern Software and Painless Setup"

What do you like best?

Modern Software:

- Latest version of PostgreSQL database engine available (11.2). Our previous hosted database provider was stuck at version 9.6.

Features:

- Quick and easy database forking.

- Painless Google Cloud Platform VPC peering setup at no extra cost.

- Easy to switch back-and-forth between VPC and public network.

- Direct access to the secondary read-only replica on high availability plans. Other providers usually hide the replica and only make it available when failing over.

Management and Monitoring:

- Good web management console.

- Command-line interface client.

- Terraform infrastructure management. I haven't tested it yet, but I plan to.

- Integration with Datadog infrastructure monitoring service provider.

Security:

- TOTP two-factor authentication.

Support:

- Good email support. I asked some technical questions before I started using the service and the response was fast and detailed.

What do you dislike?

Pricing and Plans:

- More expensive than AWS RDS and GCP Cloud SQL. However, smaller providers like Aiven take their database offerings more seriously instead of just seeing them as add-ons to their other cloud services.

- Storage options are too inflexible. They start with 8 GB and then immediately jump to 80 GB.

Features:

- Backup downloading is cumbersome. You must use PostgreSQL's pgdump CLI utility, and if you want to download an older snapshot, you must first restore it to a database instance using point-in-time recovery and then create a dump using pgdump. Ideally, I should be able to go to the web console, select a snapshot and click "Download".

- Backup retention time is too short. Business plans only have 14 days, while I think that 30 days should be the minimum for production-grade plans.

Security:

- The current plaintext database administrator password can be obtained from the web console. Access to the web console itself can be protected with two-factor authentication, but I still think that the best password recovery option is the generation of a new password.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It may be a bit expensive, but if you want a managed database provider that sees PostgreSQL as a core product and not an add-on, go with Aiven.

We have multiple backend services running on GCP that use PostgreSQL for data storage.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Aiven
Aiven review by Jacob D.
Jacob D.

"Great management, love the hosting options"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility of the hosting cloud providers Aiven offers. Their integrations are the primary reason I initially looked into them.

What do you dislike?

Price, but you do get what you pay for so it's a toss up.

I didn't understand the "100% Availability guarantee" advertised only means you wont lose your data, and Aiven will auto-failover, but during the auto fail-over time the database will be unavailable. That caused pain early in my experience, I almost immediately upgraded to a business plan to get a live follower, but I would have preferred to understand the impact and be able to make that decision BEFORE my data being inaccessible for the rebuild time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You get what you pay for, it may be expensive for a hobby project, but inexpensive for production considering the cost of downtime or maintenance otherwise.

Postgres database hosting/management

What Other Non-Relational Databases solution do you use?

Aiven review by Maksis K.
Maksis K.

"Modern and responsive"

What do you like best?

Unlike for most services that have Intercom + FAQs, Aiven seems to actually make the proper use of them - the workflow of

enter question in chat ->

it finds related FAQs with answers ->

you can continue chatting if you have additional questions

is actually working. The answers in the KB are up to date and cut-to-the-chase. When we've had less frequent issues, someone has responded to us quickly enough and rectified existing issues. So in short, support + troubleshooting is top-notch.

What do you dislike?

There seems to be an overall lack of flexibility for configuring instances. It gives the feeling of "hm, I hope Aiven is good choice because what if we need to change this one parameter later on / run this extension in a different mode", etc. More concretely, it would be awesome to see

- custom machines, rather than pre-built ones (or a screen that lets you price estimate a custom build + request to migrate to that)

- more fine-grain control over the machine (pgtune type-of-stuff), being able to run profiling (eg iotop) on the machine, etc. I realise it's hard to do a lot of this for a managed instance, but it would reduce the vendor lock-in feeling.

Being able to host a managed Postgres 10 and TimescaleDB instance, hence saving thousands of pounds in dev time of setting it all up ourselves.

Aiven review by Loïc M.
Loïc M.

"Quick and easy way to get a Kafka Broker"

What do you like best?

The graphical interface is really easy to use.

The "getting started" documentations is straigthforward and contains example for a lot of different languages which is cool because I use the solution from multiple languages.

The cluster is quick to bootsrap.

What do you dislike?

The monitoring capabilities is limited to Influxdb/Grafana, and there is no default grafana dashboard so we have to build our own.

There is a way to get a Prometheus endpoint but as we don't have Prometheus it's not a solution for us.

Maybe a way to open the JMX port to enable more external integration will be a good addons.

We use Kafka for asynchronous messaging inside our customer repository. It allow us to decouple parts of our application (data synchronization between component, search indexation).

Aiven review by Jasmine L.
Jasmine L.

"Straightforward to use and great support"

What do you like best?

Having had various questions on PostgreSQL in general and with setting up different services on aiven, I have found that the support team has been great at responding and providing very relevant and useful information. Aiven handles backups and provides many other functionalities that are useful for db management as well, which is great.

What do you dislike?

It wasn't clear sometimes what functionalities were available through the API, such as forking a service. This option is available in the UI and also the API, but I found this out on the aiven chat. It would be great to document all these fully in the api docs.

Hosting a PostgreSQL db - having finished setting everything up yet but a great experience so far

Aiven review by Administrator

"Very impressed with the breadth and depth of the service offering"

What do you like best?

TimescaleDB is available for Postgres; we can specify a cloud+region of our choice; the dashboards and help pages provide an excellent level of detail; the pricing structure is clear.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, but I have some suggestions, if I may:

1. We only found out you offer TimescaleDB from a Tweet that I happened to find via Google. For us, this is a killer feature, but it was not obvious that you offered it :-)

2. Extremely minor: when I download Kafka credentials (CA, cert, key) it's not immediately obvious which file is for what purpose, or which project/service. May I suggest renaming them as follows (sorry if the formatting is lost when you read this):

ca.pem --> <projectName>-ca.pem

service.cert --> <projectName>-<serviceName>-client.cert

service.key --> <projectName>-<serviceName>-private.key

This makes it super obvious what each file is for.

We're using TimescaleDB to store ticker information from financial markets e.g. share prices at a given point in time. Also, Kafka allows us to coordinate data flows around our microservices. Aiven allows us to not be locked in to a single cloud provider and also frees us from maintaining critical stateful infrastructure like Postgres and Kafka.

Aiven review by Craig H.
Craig H.

"Simple, secure, reliable"

What do you like best?

Of all the cloud-based database services we've tried, Aiven has been hands-down the easiest to work with and integrate with our distributed systems.

What do you dislike?

Would like to have some sort of database performance/uptime monitoring tools that are configurable to send out alerts to specific roles/users.

we're a small start-up with limited funding and staff resources. We're in the student loan industry and quickly scaling up as we gain lending licenses in every state. It has been a relief that we've been able to focus on application development without a dedicated database administrator. Every once in awhile, we "check up on" the database -- yep, it's still there -- and we go back to our code.

"Very easy to set up"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to set up, and the control panel helps you a lot on setting up the basics.

What do you dislike?

I'm using Postgres, the control panel could be more advanced, making account management and permissions easier for your databases. I can manage that myself via queries, but that's not as easy.

Also I'm experiencing some speed problems. Even though the database is in the same region on Google Cloud, as my kubernetes cluster is, my php responses take close to 1 second, where that locally is no more than 100ms. I'm not sure yet where the problem is as the Aiven dashboard is showing quick query responses. Further investigation required.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy and quick to set up. Yet you have to invest some time to set up some proper database security (roles and accounts/permissions)

Google SQL is very expensive. I was looking for a cheaper, yet high available solution. Setting up was quick and easy.

Aiven review by Tapani M.
Tapani M.

"Easy, reliable and competitively priced Kafka"

What do you like best?

The technical reliability with Aiven is fantastic. In the rare case that something does go wrong, one can count on Aiven putting their best foot forward in support situations.

What do you dislike?

Aiven is still an up and coming provider and there are rough edges being solved over time. For more total or exotic use cases that could present a problem with lead time, as you might have to negotiate the needed features being implemented.

All operational (transactional, real-time and cache) database storage is hosted on Aiven. The reliability and ecosystem support of Aiven Kafka specifically has allowed us to transition more and more towards automated real time functionality where before it was technically infeasible.

Aiven review by Administrator

"Easy way to use Kafka without dealing without the need to stand it up yourself"

What do you like best?

- Dealing with the complexity of installing and running the Kafka is taken away from you.

- It had sensible configuration out-of-the-box so I didn't have to deal with the myriad of Kafka settings.

- Support for log compacted topics.

- Integration with other third party services.

- I also liked having a 30-day trial period.

What do you dislike?

- The server certificate is not signed by a public CA, so additional configuration is needed for clients to add a truststore. My guess is that each server cert is dynamically generated for each new user doing the trial, so this is a minor issue. But I wonder if a wildcard cert signed by a public CA would still give the security you want, and give the convenience of not worrying about a truststore.

- Aiven requires clients use a client certificate. This is reasonable, but adds friction for trial users who need to deal with creating a keystore for any clients they want to use. If there were documentation that showed the explicit steps to create the keystore (and trustore, from the previous point), that would be very helpful. You could go even further and pre-create the keystore and trustore, along with instructions for how to configure clients to use them, such as a Java client, of the Kafka Tool GUI (http://www.kafkatool.com/).

I work at Kaazing and we are exploring a partnership with Aiven. We have a hosted platform that streams data from Kafka brokers to browser and mobile apps. We are looking at how easy it is stream from hosted Kafka solutions like Aiven, rather than prospects having to install and run their own Kafka broker clusters.

Aiven review by Rafael L.
Rafael L.

"Very Good Support"

What do you like best?

The support of Aiven helped us several times, solving a lot of our doubts and issues. They always respond very fast.

What do you dislike?

We didn't experience any problem yet. Everything is just working.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you appreciate a good support and easy of use, Aiven will be a very good service for you.

Replication of a Postgres DB in a big data analytics platform using Kafka as a service on Aiven.

Aiven review by Hendrik B.
Hendrik B.

"Used Aiven Kafka for Staging and Production"

What do you like best?

Simple set up and monitoring. Can easily understand what is happening in Kafka because we have easy visibility into the different topics.

What do you dislike?

Until now, everything works pretty well tbh.

It's a little expensive, but that's about it.

We are doing credit scoring and use Aiven kafka as a message bus for our scoring system. We built a full suite of streaming services around it.

Aiven review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Cheap alternative for databases"

What do you like best?

It's essentially the same quality and service that we were getting from our other providers (Heroku for postgres, InfluxCloud for our influx db), but for a better price. I needed to copy a postgres db from Heroku to Aiven, and was able to find some helpful documentation and complete the task easily.

What do you dislike?

As with any transition to a new service or provider, it's hard to manage the migration of our existing providers to Aiven.

We are looking to lower the cost of running our software by moving some of our databases to being hosted in Aiven. So far we have seen that Aiven offers a similar service to our current providers, but for less cost.

Aiven review by Administrator

"Very nice abstraction layer on top of you favourite Cloud Compute Provider"

What do you like best?

The fully managed services. Before I would have to setup Elasticsearch or Redis on our own cluster, and setup all the backing up myself. Also I mainly switched because that's the only way I could have a fully managed PostgreSQL with TimescaleDB extension.

What do you dislike?

The Pricing is a little on the heavy side. I think you guys run on 2x (100%) margin on top of the raw Cloud Costs. Which is understandable, I don't know how much work has went into developing your products.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it

Our startup needs to store vast amounts of time series data with very big ingest rates. We figured out TimescaleDB extension for PostgreSQL would be the perfect solution, but at the moment as we are just 2 developers we don't have the time and resources to maintain a database ourself. Google Cloud Platform has a fully managed PostreSQL database but it doesn't support TimescaleDB extension

Aiven review by Pouria I.
Pouria I.

"Aiven makes everything easier !"

What do you like best?

What i like about aiven is their support. They are answering really quickly and they help even the problem is not aiven related , I learned a lot of things from them(like pgbouncer) and im looking forward to work with them even more.

Another thing is that with aiven I dont have to worry about maintenance and HA.

What do you dislike?

I'm really looking forward to be able to download the backup that aiven takes automatically.

and I want to be able to stream the database logs to another service

HA and maintenance and security

Aiven review by Akram Y.
Akram Y.

"Awesome, easy and very informative console "

What do you like best?

You have got everything on the dashboard. I like especially that you can create topics and view Kafka logs and turn off the service.

What do you dislike?

I could not find any issue so far. Everything looks awesome.

It is difficult to maintain your own kafka especially when you on a rush and you run it on demand.

Aiven review by User

"Nice Product heading the right direction"

What do you like best?

- The new UI is really nice, though we could use more granular/fine-tuning in the time-frames.

- Response times

- VPC support

- Good integrations

- great support

What do you dislike?

Stability seems to be a bit rough from time to time - I will put it on Google's underlying technology, but the monitoring and notification to us was a bit too late.

We need support for more customization of backup process (I guess we are not the only ones)

feature: Multi-region master/failover scheme

Relational Database for storing data.

Management / reliability / scalability / monitoring / backups and restores / plv8 support

Aiven review by Gabriel P.
Gabriel P.

"Aiven helps me to have wide seen about my kafka topics "

What do you like best?

I really like the way Aiven shows the topics and its offsets, consumer groups, and consumer groups offsets.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to search into the topics by Aiven I believe it would be very helpful.

We have more flexibility to enforce more time in other problems instead to spend time managing kafka.

Aiven review by Patrick P.
Patrick P.

"Aiven Kafka"

What do you like best?

The best thing about our Kafka setup on Aiven is they supply us with a hassle free, managed, extremely reliable service. No need for any Ops on our side.

What do you dislike?

Could have a better topics/schema registry UI

We created independent teams, with independent technology, we're using Kafka to do it

Aiven review by Consultant

"Good"

What do you like best?

- Place in time restores

- Database forks

- Read-only replicas

What do you dislike?

Mainly that this isn't the default GCP PostgreSQL. Sorry but it's nice when all your stuff is in one place (or at least a reduced amount of places). I wonder if there's some kind of aggregating console service out there...

We wanted a managed PostgreSQL service when we moved from AWS to GCP. When I was analysing a bug recently, I discovered the "database fork" feature and was able to easily snapshot the production database (and have it available/connectable for testing) and then fix the data in production to work around the bug.

Aiven review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Aiven Kafka review"

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to deal with kafka maintenance.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there were a way to same / view all messages moving through kafka so that I could debug manually when necessary. My stream is low volume.

We use kafka as our message broker in a distributed system setup with Lagom.

"Professional and flexible"

What do you like best?

Reason for choosing Aiven was primarily their willingness to include new technologies, specifically the TimeScale plugin. A stable, scalable and secure platform, guaranteed to reside inside the EU with professional services available also played a key role.

What do you dislike?

Pricing scheme is difficult to work / budget with.

We worry less on database hosting, easy scalability and high up-time. Working with professional providers is a requirement from many of our customers.

Aiven review by User in Computer Software

"Can't complain"

What do you like best?

It's nice to not have to worry about managing Kafka as much.

What do you dislike?

The classic issue of abstracting stuff away from you leaves with with lessened control when you need it.

Reducing dev time spent managing infrastructure.

Aiven review by User in Computer Software

"Great MQ as a service"

What do you like best?

Not worring about infra is the best thing.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far, everything that I needed from Aiven was ok.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use, fair price and stable.

Since we have a microservices architecture we have a lot of events to notify to a lot of services, so, this is what we accomplish with Aiven and without worring about infra in general, just with the business logic.

Aiven review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Data Analyst"

What do you like best?

The interface is really user friendly, clear and clean.

It's really easy to set-up new topics on Kafka, really easy to monitory the LAG.

What do you dislike?

We can not create an auto export of the kafka logs to create a monitoring tool to see if there is some messages lags on our primes. we need to setup an entire new solution on aiven...

Kafka messagings

Aiven review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Great experience, very easy to get up and running"

What do you like best?

I like how quickly we can set up and tear down a Kafka cluster. It made the trial painless. Support was on point and I'm glad we can peer it to our AWS VPC.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, so far, we are having a great experience with Aiven.

We are building an event-based architecture so we're going to use Kafka for producing and consuming event messages.

Aiven review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Clean UI"

What do you like best?

Aiven is what AWS should be. It's easy to find what you are looking for, the settings are where they should be and the structure is very logical.

What do you dislike?

Not much other than more features and customisability/settings without making it confusing like AWS.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it for as many services that you can to avoid splitting up your services across too many vendors.

We are using Kafka and Postgres to perform event streaming.

Aiven review by Jan H.
Jan H.

"It has been good so far"

What do you like best?

Setup was really easy, and its decently priced

What do you dislike?

creating user for single database would be nice.

External database which has been quite fast

Aiven review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Powerfull/Effective but quite closed"

What do you like best?

backup, replication, cloud choice, price

What do you dislike?

Automatic backup can not been acceded. No way to leave the service safely.

We have to create backup on our own (schedule, backup, restore, storage) just to get the ownership of our data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not specific to Aiven : As all cloud provider customer : keep a backup on your side.

We do not have Ops team so we prefer using a techno-provider.

Aiven review by User

"Easy to use Database as a Service with focus on security!"

What do you like best?

The User Interface is fast and has direct links to useful information. For example, metrics and backups are available one click away. Aiven has a focus on security that is welcome and instills trust.

What do you dislike?

I wish Aiven supported more Service Integrations - specifically we use NewRelic for APM.

Aiven is becoming our database as a service platform. We are able to focus on business goals instead of maintaining servers.

Aiven review by Consultant

"I really recommend aiven"

What do you like best?

facility of managing the service, starting up and shutting down, creating topics and managing schemas.

What do you dislike?

it is a little bit difficult to find logs and to configure ssl. but with online help from aiven it is OK.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a nice service, quick to setup and manage.

Making foundation data available for API request.

Aiven review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"All in one"

What do you like best?

Good one stop shop for services that bigger enterprises charge more than what we're willing to pay.

What do you dislike?

Some of their API is a little odd and there are a number of manual touch-points in the engagement that we're wary of.

We wanted a Kafka cluster without having to run it ourselves. It was far cheaper than hiring a team to run it for us.

Aiven review by Alex D.
Alex D.

"Event driven architectures made easy"

What do you like best?

- simple integration with Kubernetes

- decoupling infrastructure code from application code

What do you dislike?

Gosh, not mush here to complain about. UI is intuitive, and interface is simple. Maybe have simple tutorials, "hello Aiven world" style for the uninitiated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give a go! These guys are heading in the right direction.

- energy trading platform for tomorrow's smarter energy grid

Aiven review by Janne K.
Janne K.

"CTO, System Architect"

What do you like best?

Designing architecture with emphasis on scalability and long term sustainability.

What do you dislike?

Hosting my own infrastructure such as databases and message brokers.

Hosted database, hosted messaging.

"PostgreSQL newbie analyst"

What do you like best?

Clean interface, minimalist design, easy to navigate

What do you dislike?

No (obvious) query interface or easy way to see schema (that I could find).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have a PostgreSQL GUI/IDE in mind ahead of time for your data analysts.

chosen because it works with AWS kinesis firehose and many other services (not my decision or expertise)

Aiven review by M iqbal zulkarnaen N.
M iqbal zulkarnaen N.

"aiven simple kafka management"

What do you like best?

I like aiven provide easy and high uptime kafka, though havent tried yet for high performance / price comparison

What do you dislike?

can't modify how I can connect (whitelist IP, another security option)

not all features in console software implemented (monitor some messages, performance test, etc)

simplify maintaning kafka

"It all just works"

What do you like best?

The Kafka service have been great for our company. We switched from Heroku's offering. It was easy to setup and configure. We are using it for Postgres instances as well.

What do you dislike?

Everything has worked great, no dislikes yet for me.

Database hosting and kafka hosted instances

Aiven review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Aiven Trial"

What do you like best?

So far so good. However, I wish they had mongodb as a service as well.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as of yet. We have been happy with the service.

Managed services. It's cheaper for us to hire out systems maintenance rather than hire team members to do the role.

Aiven review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Very nice features, small polishing then it is perfect"

What do you like best?

Step by step backups are awesome. Several times saved my life by going pack some minutes.

What do you dislike?

Postgress user management shuould be easier, now have to do it in the command line

Easy setup, stable and PITR

Aiven review by Leandro C.
Leandro C.

"Fast support. All my questions were answered very promptly."

What do you like best?

The "self-service" approach. We can upgrade and downgrade as we like.

What do you dislike?

The fact we cannot have a free development environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a professional support, Aiven is ahead of others.

We don't want to hire a Kafka cluster manager, it's not our core business. Having this as a service is much easier,

Aiven review by Christoffer L.
Christoffer L.

"Aiven "

What do you like best?

Some glitches in the UI, love the terraform support, we can concentrate on building services instead of maintaining them.

What do you dislike?

More services and maybe running kubernetes pods in any cloud.

Monitoring of our services and alerting.

Aiven review by Oliver F.
Oliver F.

"Very good product"

What do you like best?

Very detailed ticket resolution about how problems have been solved

What do you dislike?

Lack of night mode in the UI, currently in a dark room it is blinding

Removing the need to manage our own postgres instances

Aiven review by User

"Aiven for Kafka messages"

What do you like best?

The AIVEN website is really nice and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

No easy way to extract the lags in the log or from api

Permanent communication between 2 softwares

Aiven review by Chandan B.
Chandan B.

"Seamless Aiven Kafka "

What do you like best?

Support. Top Notch.

Ease to spin up new services.

What do you dislike?

Some features like setting the retention of topic in milliseconds/seconds

We do not need to worry about managing the cluster!

Aiven review by Nikhil P.
Nikhil P.

"Aiven"

What do you like best?

I like the console and ease of using Aiven

What do you dislike?

Nothing as of now as I have not used the console full time

Using Apache Kafka

"Good service"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, clean interface. The service works as expected, that's exactly what I would expect.

What do you dislike?

I currently don't see anything negative about Aiven.

Reliable, high availability, support our load, greatly simplified the way we manage our databases.

"Aiven PostgreSQL"

What do you like best?

- VPC peering feature within cloud provider

- Database pooling feature

- High Availability

What do you dislike?

- No download logs button for downloading a log for specific time frame

- Integration with external (non-aiven) elasticsearch for log streamings

Recommendations to others considering the product:

- Easy to setup

- Easy to manage

We can focus on the infrastructure automation, tooling, convention etc, and leave the managed service with the Aiven.

Aiven review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Aiven Review"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about aiven is that It's managed by someone else

What do you dislike?

The thing I dislike the most about aiven is the lack of Kafka connect

Event driven microservices

"reliable service"

What do you like best?

Good service, prompt answers to support issues

What do you dislike?

limited product configuration (e.g. it was not possible to use redis because of protocol mismatch)

Analysis and prediction for payTV business

"easy to setup and use"

What do you like best?

ease of creating and managing databases, very simple interface

What do you dislike?

hard to programmatically create/update through terraform

cheaper infrastructure. we are currently using heroku

Learning about Aiven?

* We monitor all Aiven reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.