ABBYY FineReader 14 Reviews & Product Details

What is ABBYY FineReader 14?

FineReader is an all-in-one OCR and PDF software application designed to increase business productivity. It provides easy-to-use tools to access and modify information locked in paper-based documents and PDFs.

ABBYY FineReader 14 Profile Details

1-19 of 19 total ABBYY FineReader 14 reviews

ABBYY FineReader 14 Reviews

1-19 of 19 total ABBYY FineReader 14 reviews
Editora

"The best way to scan, convert and edit documents"

What do you like best?

The program is easy to understand so I can send the edited documents and the recipient can open it and understand its operation without further explanation, this saves me a huge time and streamlines my work, since I can get feedback immediately.

What do you dislike?

While we perform a particular job everything is perfect and simple, however, when we perform different tasks because we see new windows that initially generate confusion, although as we know the program as we are adapting and recognizing the operation.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program allows to convert images to text, review different versions of a document and edit, also supports various formats. It is very helpful and quite easy to understand.

When it comes to document editing, we save time in the response process between sender and recipient. On the other hand, if we take into account that the program allows us to compare and see the differences between documents with different formats, it allows us to guarantee quality at work.

Publicidad
Entertainment

"one of the best OCR"

What do you like best?

It is a very good OCR reader, to start with, the installation is very easy to perform and it occupies little space on the hard disk unlike other programs that I have tried, the use of hardware resources is quite good, so you do not need to have a powerful pc to use it, its aesthetics and environment is quite intuitive so you can try to use it without knowing almost anything, and also if you do not want to be using trial and error to learn how to use the program you can see the tutorials that the same company offers.

The process is simple enough to edit a scanned file; you open the file that you scanned, you mark the sectors that you need, the letters recognition system is right and you are ready ... at least the times I occupied it, I obtained very good results. You can also pass PDF files to office format ready to edit and edit other files.

I must emphasize that with the passage of the versions of the program they have improved the process of recognition of symbols.

What do you dislike?

that like the other programs of this type, there are always errors in the recognition of symbols, for which you must dedicate time to correct paragraph by paragraph and corroborate with the original document.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

yes. It is certainly a good recognition program, but do not expect it to do everything perfectly since the same as most of the programs of the same type have some errors (minimum, but errors that you should correct for yourself)

In some moments I wanted to edit or save on my PC some files that I have received, that I have found (and are difficult to obtain) or that I have created (and I lost the editable digital version), and with ABBYY I have been able to do all the process of character recognition by OCR and thus be able to edit (cut, copy or delete pieces) the files and later create my own files.

Medical Records Administrator

"It works well for grabbing the text off scanned documents"

What do you like best?

The best part of ABBYY FineReader is how when you import a scanned document to OCR, you can see it scanning before your eyes. It looks really cool!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the scanning isn't perfect, but that is to be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you give your documents a common structure, it can help ABBYY FineReader pick up the text.

We use ABBYY FineReader to take scanned documents, and automatically turn the text into computer text. This makes it searchable. It has proved to be very useful for our scanned mail, medical records, and faxes, as we can save time by just searching for a string of text. Before, we were manually looking through each fax and it took a lot of wasted time.

Director

"A fantastic document OCR / conversion tool"

What do you like best?

Excellent price point, simplicity of use. Extracted text accuracy (e.g. PDF to Word) is excellent - staggering sometimes when you see the input quality. The comparison tool is particularly useful for seeing how someone may have altered a document sent then printed / scanned into PDF.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot. It's really good at the narrow band of features it offers - OCR extraction / conversion and comparison. If I were to level any criticism it would be on understanding a document format (e.g. columns, images, header/footer) - FineReader is one of the better products I have used but can still struggle. Set your expectations appropriately low [with any product] if you are trying to convert bank statements to Excel for instance. If you're trying to extract data you should be looking at ABBYY FlexiCapture, for instance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set your expectations appropriately. In this order these are what I consider the best points to be:

* Searchable PDF from scan / image

* Conversion of documents to Word

* Text comparison between documents of different source (e.g. scan vs Word Doc)

* Conversion of more tabular data into Excel / CSV, etc

(Conflict of interest) My relationship with ABBYY is in the professional / enterprise grade software. If you were considering FineReader for Bank Statement -> Spreadsheet (for instance) it does a reasonable job and you might do that for a few documents; if you are considering higher volume or higher accuracy then you should consider ABBYY FlexiCapture instead which 'understands' data structure and has far better validation tools.

Document conversion. One of my most common applications for the software is to take scanned PDF documents (Canon scanner - Canon OCR is 'ok') and make them searchable. I use GDrive so can then find any document by any word in it - recently useful when trying to work out the purchase date for something near the end of warranty.

Promotor de Negocios

"I no longer have to write a scanned document, Thanks to ABBYY FineReader"

What do you like best?

Your OCR system is the best we could wish for, it is fast and very precise. Its platform is easy to work with and practically any user can use it. We can work with PDF files with all the necessary tools for a correct edition and everything from the same service, this product is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

The initial installation took a little longer than we thought. only that, we have not found any problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If I would recommend it, your ocr system is very effective, save time and effort

When they sent us a scanned document, and it was necessary to transcribe it to be able to work with it. We take a long time in this, ABBYY FineReader has solved this, in a simple and practical way. We have saved time and money.

Directora de artes

"Excellent writing assistant"

What do you like best?

In the institute he wrote and often had to scan materials. FineReader does an excellent job. It is always convenient and fast.

The software occupies little space. The program is simple, even a student can handle it, and the functionality is not only for the recognition of documents, for example, you can still compare 2 versions of documents, convert them to PDF and other formats.

What do you dislike?

The cost of the program is not affordable for everyone. And I would also like to have a free trial version in full format. But in general I do not think I have negative things, but some things to improve, some faults that may have to recognize the characters in a pdf, but it is not so serious, considering that much of the work is done very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's just incredible the real time saving, it recognizes all kinds of documents, even screenshots. It is an excellent ally.

It saved me the time of transcribing documents, really making my job easier to do.

Software Engineet

"Exceptional OCR and Document conversion"

What do you like best?

ABBYY business card reader, Screenshot OCR, file to PDF and scan to rich word document are the most prominent features which are used on daily basis. All the PDF invoices are easily converted to word files and excel files with table layout is the best we can get from this software. So many options are available for conversion which eases the work.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of time to convert files and process them. It's price is also high than other tools. ABBYY does not recognize many native languages and gives special characters as output.

Invoices (PDF) to Word and Excel file conversion is very important feature for us. Most of the times the spreadsheet of data comes in PDF format, we have to convert into DataTable using ABBYY

Contracts Manager

"Excellent OCR Program With Simple User Interface"

What do you like best?

I like that ABBYY FineReader quickly OCRs documents so we can extract and search the text.

What do you dislike?

It is quite resource hungry, and slow on low-end computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you specify your computers for your office with fast CPUs to increase the speed of the OCR process.

We get scanned contracts and medical files, which are graphical image scans of original documents. With ABBYY FineReader, we can take these scanned files and automatically extract the text, so we can copy, paste and search it.

Programmer
Computer Networking

"Nice recognition software"

What do you like best?

Good recognition quality. You can recognize several languages. Software can do screenshots and recognize screenshots, and then copy recognized from screenshot to buffer or files - all in one click. You can automatically reformat document to pdf, docx, excel, or save just image file (tiff, jpg, bmp and others). Exist several tunings for camera and scanner, and several options for automatic format of the documents. Very simple to install program and do first run. Uses small amount of memory. You can choose how many cores of processor the program must use. You can convert to several formats(pdf, word, excel) from existing files without repeating of recognition again. You can scan documents to the fb2 file. You can use simple OCR editor that built in the Finereader software, and do some changes immediately.

What do you dislike?

Cant use hot keys for screen reader for more fast work of program. Small number of options of recognition images, text, cant change package of languages, cant change columns of recognition, cant change recognition font and add special symbols for recognition. Cant learning on test part of documents. Cant do my own profile automatically, cant run for several users in the one install. Difficult to uninstall without special software or manual editing and deleting files of the software and operating system. Sometimes software freezes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fast program for recognizing documents. Sometimes need manual rechecking with special symbols or special fonts.

Recognize screenshots with text, documents for automatize simple actions and exclude human work.

Programador
Government Administration

"It makes my job easier"

What do you like best?

ABBYY digitalizes documents and images and allows me to save them in different formats, preserving the structure of said documents and images. It's simply amazing.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a more friendly user interface, at first I had a hard time learning how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When you try it, your life will change forever. It's just that amazing, a real time saver.

I save a lot of time because it allows me to work with documents without having to transcript them, it really makes my job easier to do.

C

"ABBYY FineReader"

What do you like best?

The quality of it's OCR. Just the best. In the past, I didn't have much of a need for OCR but a recent project changed that and I wa shocked to discover how difficult it is to find a really good functionality. I signed up for a trial of, what felt like, every product on the market. ABBYY FineReader was the standout best. The features are too many to list.

What do you dislike?

I can't afford the larger product - I'd love to have OCR running in the background making all of my old documents text searchable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Now that I've discovered all of the things that I can easily do, I don't know how I ever worked without it. If you have a need for OCR or to manage/convert documents, this is the product to use.

Turning paper documents into searchable files that can be converted to other formats.

CC

"Better OCR than anything else out there"

What do you like best?

ABBYY's ability to recognize text from a scanned image is excellent, not to mention the wide spectrum of languages it can recognize beyond English. It can recognize text in dozens of languages. ABBYY analysis of text vs. images can be customized after the first pass and then re-read the text to fine-tune the results.

What do you dislike?

I have learned it by using it, but it is not especially intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be mindful that once the document has been analyzed, you can customize the analyze by revising what is an image and what is text and manipulate the windows. Then you can ask ABBYY to re-read the document to fine-tune its results.

Documents that are only images in PDF can be scanned into text to make them editable.

Gerente general
Internet
(Myself Only)

"Muy buen escaner ocr"

What do you like best?

Cantidad de opcioones y funciones y, aun asi, su facilidad de uso y manejo

What do you dislike?

El precio. Es muy bueno, muy completo, de lo mejor que se puede encontrar... pero tambien hay opciones igualmente validas a precio muy inferior o incluso gratuitas.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Muy buen escaner OCR repleto de opciones y funciones pero con una gran facilidad de uso y manejo.

Lo peor... el precio. Hay opciones mucho mas asequibles e incluso gratuitas que, sin ser tan completas, son igualmente validas para el uso y destino final y principal: escanear documentos.

Escaneo de documenteos

Director Of Operations
Executive Office

"Easy identification for on the go"

What do you like best?

I used this software with my portable scanner. It was great at identifying wording within scanned documents. It could scan my notes in and convert them. This made project management much easier.

What do you dislike?

I felt the software was limited in its ease of use. I had to google a lot of instructions. I would have rather been able to navigate the software easier.

The problems solved are that it allows for the capability to quickly edit documents that need changed right “then and there.”

"ABBYY is there with the best OCR software"

What do you like best?

Its reliability in getting the images of Latin type characters correct, even when there are diacritics, when the document print quality is good.

What do you dislike?

Not so effective in dealing with alignment of characters when the print within the document is skewed (e.g. paper receipts).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

ABBYY is reliable if your documents are not too challenging. It also has a great product in FlexiCapture - way to go for standardised forms that are repeatedly used. I hear that ABBYY Online may have more smarts (not too sure) but it's a good way of operationalising an OCR process except that it could be expensive (say as compared to Google Cloud Vision or even as compared to standalone ABBYY FineReader).

OCR for supermarket paper receipts which often have extra challenges to them

"ABBYY FineReader 14 - a good helper"

What do you like best?

ABBYY FineReader helps to solve a transformation problem with the image in the text in seconds. It very conveniently and often saves time in work. This program allows converting easily and quickly documents.

What do you dislike?

I do not like it when the text is superimposed and confused. On editing such text, more time leaves.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I can recommend this program to people who need to convert large volumes of information from physical carriers into a digital format.

ABBYY FineReader allows coping with the large volume of work quicker. A possibility of converting of the image in the text already perfectly. The program supports various formats and it is very convenient.

"The OCR champ!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that in a matter of seconds I can convert an image document into text. This is a really amazing thing. ABBY Fine reader allows for easy and fast document conversion.

What do you dislike?

I hate how sometimes the text gets all scrambled and mixed up. editing becomes more tiresome than it should be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this product for anyone looking for an easy solution to converting image documents to text.

Processing documents is now easier. I run a cyber cafe and clients find it worthwhile that I can process their work and give them editable text documents fast.

(10,001+ employees)

"ABBYY is a great OCR tool for creating accessible PDFs"

What do you like best?

ABBYY is a reliable OCR tool for recognizing text in inaccessible images or PDFs.

What do you dislike?

ABBYY has small bugs at times, but it is still the best OCR tool for my purposes at work.

I am making library documents accessible for all patrons, including those using sscreenreaders. Using ABBYY is the first step in this process.

"Exceptional tool"

What do you like best?

ABBY is a great tool to turn PDFs, pictures or scanned documents into editable format.

What do you dislike?

My experience was overall positive with this software.

It helos professionals who process a large amounts of text deal with formatting issues.

ABBYY FineReader 14 User Ratings

9.4
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.8*
* Document Creation Category
Do you work for ABBYY FineReader 14?