A Small Orange Reviews & Product Details

What is A Small Orange?

A Small Orange provides web hosting services in the shape of Shared, Business, Reseller, and VPS plans.

A Small Orange Profile Details

1-10 of 10 total A Small Orange reviews

A Small Orange Reviews

1-10 of 10 total A Small Orange reviews
Owner and President

"Great service and support. Stable. Best value hosting I've experienced."

What do you like best?

I have used a lot of web hosts in the past, and I have always said that I can't tell you who is the best, but I can tell you which ones to avoid. A small orange (ASO) has bucked that trend. I actually actively suggest that people give them a try because I have always found there support to be extremely helpful (when needed -- which is infrequent), their portals to make sense and allow multiple different accounts to separate concerns between the multiple businesses I am involved in, and they price can't be beat. For simple hosting, they have small enough accounts that you don't over pay, and yet I have never had a significant downtime with their service, unlike many other providers I have used in the past. The enable SSH access with an authorized key, which really helps a Linux user like myself, and they have cPanel setup for those that don't need lower level access.

What do you dislike?

I wish they handled domain registrations better so I could use them for that as well and reduce my number of service providers. However, their control panel for advanced DNS usage is very lacking and I usually avoid them for domains. Luckily they have clear and easy instructions on how to point your DNS to their hosts so they work well with others. It would be nice if I could remove the need for the additional provider though!!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I was concerned when I had heard years back that they were bought by a huge group (Endurance International Group) but from my perspective not much has changed. I do think the prices have seen a moderate increase (they dropped the Tiny plan for awhile) and also support seems just slightly less knowledgable at times, but overall I am still happy. And they are loads better than any other web host I have used in the recent past.

I work with many small groups (including friends' small businesses, my multiple ventures, my wife's salon, and my non-profit triathlon group). They provide us with the web hosting that is powerful and stable enough to support all these various entities (as well as a few personal sites for fun).

"Great Customer Service - Packages Could Be Better"

What do you like best?

I've received great customer service for billing questions and issues related to our website and domain. They even walked me through, step by step, fixing the website when I'd accidentally caused the site to become totally inaccessible. I felt I was getting a level of customer service that one usually pays extra for.

What do you dislike?

They don't automatically include an SSL certificate, so unless you purchase that separately, your website will be less secure and perhaps downgraded by search engines. They now offer the option to purchase an SSL certificate through them, but it doesn't seem straightforward to getting it activated on your actual website. Perhaps their customer service will come in handy for this, but I find this to be a big inconvenience. For this reason, I plan to migrate my site.

It was easy to get the website domain name and hosting setup, and everything was pretty hands off after the initial setup.

"Small Orange, big platform"

What do you like best?

The ease of use is none other. The accessibility for new users and the fast and reliable hosting helps to ensure that your IT needs are consistently met.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the ease of use isn't so straight forward. The customer service can be difficult to get in contact with and the opportunity to create meetings to help other office personnel to understand the hosting service is not as reliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Talk to your boss about giving Small Orange a try. The hosting services are great and the Customer Service is fantastic. They're always willing to set up an appointment to learn more about the services they provide and will help you understand their product better. Since changing to A Small Orange I've noticed our computers working faster and easier ability to access content from my own department.

A Small Orange is a great IT hosting service. They're ensuring that our IT services are met and that our computers are in safe hands. The benefits are simple: the service is streamlined and take the difficulty of IT out of our hands and into the hands of the host.

Apparel Designer
Apparel & Fashion

"Great for my online portfolio"

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of use when downloading my scanned photos and png's or jpg's from Ai. It offers a sleek website.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the cost was a little lower, although it is cheaper than other sites - I have often wondered if just sharing a PDF as a link would work just the same?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Offer discounts for paying a year in advance - or 6 months at a time.

It makes me more professional than the above option. I love that I can add interactive parts and compartmentalize my work.

CEO
Program Development

"A Small Orange - Could Be Better"

What do you like best?

Their prices are pretty nice, giving you some relatively good deals (especially on Black Friday/Cyber Monday when everything is like 75% off)

What do you dislike?

They have some server/up-time problems and it seems their customer support has never quite recovered from the great crash of December 2015. Chat can take 30 minutes to get someone and it can take 3 days in between emails. It's gotten a little better though, so maybe it will continue to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just make sure to do your research. If fast customer service is important to you ASO might not be the best choice. If you are going with ASO, stick around for their huge Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales they do, you can buy a whole years server for cheap.

Hosting

"Great for small business"

What do you like best?

I have used them for over 10 years and love the customer service, and cost effective prices.

What do you dislike?

They lack an easy e-commerce platform for first time users, so that is the only site I would not host there.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Worth a chance for small business, especially if you are only static sites without the need to sell product.

Quick customer service. Reminders to review, overall highly satisfied.

"What once was great hosting as devolved into bad hosting"

What do you like best?

At first, I had great uptime and service with A Small Orange. Starting with their low tier VPS, I was able to get a good price on a good server to get started hosting my sites.

What do you dislike?

However, after some time (and the sale of the company), service declined big time. Outages are not uncommon now at all, they do not let you know about the outages till after and do not help you fix quickly enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Avoid for now -- they need to improve support. I have moved to Siteground.

Website hosting.

Owner

"Reliable, affordable and great customer service"

What do you like best?

Affordable, great customer service, and easy to understand. I've been with A Small Orange for 6 months and have no problems at all. If I Mrs up my blog, they help me get it back online quick. They are knowledgeable, have awesome personalities, and reliable!

What do you dislike?

I have yet to really find anything that I dislike enough to complain about.

Right now I'm working on getting my blog stats up to industry standard. I'm realizing the more evergreen content goes further than any other content!

UP

"Professional but User Friendly "

What do you like best?

The web hosting capabilities are more professional than companies like Wix which is nice and they are partnered with web developing and designing software which is nice.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it is not as well known and established as companies like Wix despite being better in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

User friendly, cost effective, more professional solution for web hosting.

Perfect for a small business like freelancers in my industry!

"Too Notch Support"

What do you like best?

What I liked about A Small Orange was how reliable its hosting was paired with amazing customer support.

What do you dislike?

What I didn't like about A Small Orange was how high the cost of servers were.

A Small Orange helped me save money. I paid for resources that I only needed. It was also a quick and painless set up for my WordPress site.

A Small Orange Pricing

9.6
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.5*
* Web Hosting Category
Do you work for A Small Orange?