Zing

ZingĀ® is a better JVM with better metrics that is certified fully compliant with the Java SE 8, 7 or 6 specification.

Work for Zing?

Learning about Zing?

Zing Reviews

Ask Zing a Question
Showing 14 Zing reviews
Luke B.

"Managing Zing by Systems Engineers"

What do you like best?

Zing comes in two parts; the Zing Virtual Machine, (ZVM, which is a Java Virtual Machine) and Zing Service Tools (ZST) which is software installed on Linux along with their kernel module that does memory management. As a Systems Engineer I find managing Zing in an enterprise environment very easy.

Upgrading is simple. A ZST upgrade is not needed for every ZVM upgrade - multiple versions of the ZVM can run on the same ZST. ZSTs are packaged in RPMs, so all we do is "yum update" and "reboot".

Planning/Sizing for Zing on hardware is a little different, but still straight forward. When the zing kernel module starts it immediately takes a chunk of RAM, an all ZVM memory allocation is done inside there. There is no risk of other operating system processes depriving Zing Java of heap space, as it's already taken by the kernel module.

Licensing can either be done by a centralised server for all ZVMs to "dial home" to, or a static license file can be stored on the servers.

What do you dislike?

Early versions (years ago) of ZST didn't upgrade cleanly, we often had to double check that kernel modules were removed from the module tree correctly. However the more recent versions do not have this problem and our management of ZST is a lot smoother now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommended for people interested in high performance Java applications.

We use Zing as the JVM underneath our low latency trading platform. It's memory management prevents a number of the normal Java GC related problems. It doesn't remove the issue entirely (Zing still has to pause to get a consistent state) but this is few and far between.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Zing
Chris N.

"Zing JVM (review by open-source license holder)"

What do you like best?

Azul made a very sensible design decision by tightly integrating the memory management of the Zing JVM with the operating system. This allows the JVM to better leverage OS-level memory management features which can be seen in the low latency performance of Zing's C4 garbage collector.

I've found the setup tools which accompany Zing very useful in suggesting which OS properties to tune in order to get the best JVM performance. Zing's online documentation is very detailed and easy to navigate.

Zing's GC performance is impressive and I found GC pauses were measurably lower in the applications I have run on this VM.

What do you dislike?

I've found nothing to dislike about Zing. The VM gives predictable and low latency. The only price you pay for this is that you must use a Linux kernel that is supported by the Zing memory management subsystem which may not be the latest non-stock kernel. If you are running Zing in production this is unlikely to be an issue.

I'm reviewing Zing as an open-source license holder but I work in the financial services / market data industry where having predictable and low latency is essential as unpredictable or long GC pauses could break SLAs.

What Other IT Infrastructure solution do you use?

Mou N.

"It has been an awesome experience. "

What do you like best?

I install zing, use from application , i do not have to worry about my jvm, GC again , ever.

What do you dislike?

Really, nothing . Everything is super! I do not have anything bad to say about zing. Saved my life!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it for any low latency application , saves lot of time tuning jvm .

GC stops prevents low latency applications behave properly. Our Solr servers runs on zing and it servers more than 750 requests a second on a a cluster with 100s of TB of data with latency less than 150 ms on average. Without zing it would have been impossible for us to run solr the way it is running.

Khola M.

"A major advancement in industry"

What do you like best?

It is a great and compatible and compliant service with the Java SE specification. It breaks and opens all the Java scale barriers and makes a multitude improvement. It has an overhead, fine grained visibility tool that helps you to find problems and accelerate resolution.

What do you dislike?

Till now I have not found any issues with this product. It is a good software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a must try. It is latest which makes it easier to use. Further more, being quick and uncomplicated, it saves your time too.

A great software ahead of Java that helps you solve your issues in an easy way. it is very easy to use as the tool in it are easy to understand. Thus saves your time.

Un-attributed

"zing is a good in memory cache"

What do you like best?

The best thing that we have experienced with zing is the decreased latency and ability to fine tune java virtual machine and its garbage collection process so as to be able to reduce latency in the application and thereby improve application performance as well. Its in memory cache is something that also helps the process of reducing latency.

What do you dislike?

The one area where there could be improvement is when the java virtual machine is first started, there is inherent latency and delay to bring the system up and running and this is something zine should be able to improve upon to make this experience even better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

test zulu for the Java VM involved and the application.

The main business problem that was being solved was to reduce the latency in application performance that requires considerable effort in fine tuning java virtual machine - zulu helped a lot in this regard to minimize the fine tuning effort.

Paloma D.

"Great for Enterprise Java Applications"

What do you like best?

As a developer, I use Zing JVM at work for running servlets and Java source code, in enterprise and regular Java desktop applications. I like that it has a fast response time and a smooth user interface and I don't have to change my code to fit with this JVM. I would recommend using this for servlets and Java EE rather than simple desktop applications.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that it slows down machines by using RAM and taking up a lot of resources. They need to make it more concise and not as heavy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend using this on a high powered desktop rather than a laptop.

My organization uses Zing JVM to run Java source code and customize the user interface to appeal to the end user. It helps make compiled applications more user friendly.

Un-attributed

"Good for specific cases"

What do you like best?

The Zing runtime allows us to run smooth, hiccup free Java applications without the need for ongoing tuning of the garbage collection algorithm.

What do you dislike?

There is some additional overhead required, and it can be difficult to resize applications or add entirely new ones without having to completely restart the memory manager.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a specialized product, but if you need what it offers then you should consider it.

Our goal was to run time-sensitive client-server applications in Java. With the Sun/Oracle Java runtime we needed to allow lengthy start-up times and expect frequent garbage collection pauses during times when the application was busy. While Zing didn't remove the need for garbage collection, it did spread it out over time so that our application did not become unresponsive when we needed it the most.

Sheetal M.

"Zing is good alternative for Oracle JVM"

What do you like best?

Zing usages minimum RAM or server. I used it in my ubuntu server. The performance is better than Oracle JVM. Resource management is also good of Zing so CPU utilization is low than other.

What do you dislike?

In zing there should be a GUI panel where we can see JVM status and monitor server status.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would like to recommend for Java Hosting Server to use zing. It is easy to setup and usage minimum resource.

Zing usages low resources so the overall cost of server reduced.

Jack O.

"Zing"

What do you like best?

It is really easy to configure. Has a great support team, they reply to my questions really fast which is great. It is also very easy to install.

What do you dislike?

I love everything about it, I have no issues with this application. I simply love it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend using this software, it is among the best in its field.

It has helped increase processing speed. It is also very appealing to our users.

Un-attributed

"Tested zing as a way to improve performance of Apache Solr"

What do you like best?

Zing is basically a drop-in replacement for the oracle JVM. No code changes required, and the configuration is simplified.

What do you dislike?

The licensing was a bit difficult to get working correctly in a containerized environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would evaluate Zing before purchases. In circumstances where full garbage collection (stop-the-world) events are a problem, Zing will most certainly alleviate this issue. I would also lean heavily on their support team, which was very responsive in our experience.

We tested zing out as a way to improve performance of Apache Solr. We did not realize an appreciable difference in Solr, but we may revisit this issue in the future.

Un-attributed

"Running hundreds of Cassandra nodes on Zing"

What do you like best?

Zing is a great JVM. Minimise GC and maximise JVM heap.

Technical support is great! One of the best in the market both in terms of quality and response time. We also had a dedicated Azul engineer to assist us with the setup and during major incidents involving Zing.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is something to dislike. I would try to improve the Zing Vision monitoring tool.

Zing helped us reduce the latency for high percentiles by allowing us to operate Cassandra with a higher heap size (higher than the recommended value) and a low GC impact.

I
Un-attributed

"Hadoop NameNode GC issues solved"

What do you like best?

The GC algorithm works perfectly. Support is very reactive and take seriously our issues!

What do you dislike?

Works only on linux. Licensing management could be a pain sometimes

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If do not want waste your time tuning GC.

Before using Zing, we struggled to tune G1 GC with our Hadoop Name Node with a heap of 500+GB. Deploying Zing solves the GC issue. No more issue in production since 1 year and a half.

"We use it for Java"

What do you like best?

It's a good alternative to the cloud, when it's not available or otherwise unusable.

What do you dislike?

We haven't ran into many problems yet, there's not much we can't fix on our own.

We use it to support our Linux distros.

Un-attributed

"Solved all my GC problems "

What do you like best?

Complete Java compatibility without the efforts needed to tune the virtual machine

What do you dislike?

Generally positive experience, but not being open source limits the implementations options

Client response time was reduced without 50%

Learn more about Zing

Zing Videos

Learning about Zing?

* We monitor all Zing reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.