Big Cartel Reviews & Product Details

What is Big Cartel?

Big Cartel is simple shopping cart software for artists.

Big Cartel Screenshots

Big Cartel Reviews

1-20 of 20 total Big Cartel reviews
Senior Graphic Designer
Insurance

"Simple, Solid E-cart Option"

What do you like best?

If you're just looking for a fast way to set up a professional e-store without the hassle of coding, BigCartel is a great option. It's cheaper than alternatives like Shopify, gives you various ways to set up a store with a few clicks, and offers flexible ways to offer different options of the same item (ie. clothing sizes) and gives a few different ways to charge shipping (ship by item, ship by weight, etc). They let you do sales, coupon codes, and even offer vacation mode when you're away.

What do you dislike?

The one-click e-store designs are a double-edge sword, as their pre-fab options sometimes don't give you the flexibility you need to customize the site the way you want. And Big Cartel doesn't offer much in the way of integrations, so you spend time copy-pasting things into your shipping service, your social media pages, etc. Competitors give you the option of automatically integrating these services right to the e-store.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think if Big Cartel offered a bit more customization, as well as more options to integrate the sort of services a seller would use (social media, Endicia, etc) it would be a big player. As it stands it's still a pretty good value as long as you keep selling - try the free "5 products or less" setup to see if it works for you.

I used a Zencart style solution which was a challenge with coding, and shipping calculations were rudimentary. Big Cartel made my offering look better, and allowed me to set shipping thresholds that matched the products I was selling (media mail options for books, etc).

"Easy online stores"

What do you like best?

The program easily allows you to make a beautiful functional online store, customize its appearance, colors, font as you want. Completely individual appearance, directly customizing HTML and CSS. You have the ability to manage your store on the road with a mobile version. The control over orders is quite simple, you can quickly confirm the order, thereby your customers will be satisfied.

What do you dislike?

If you need a simple online store, then Big Cartel is right for you, but if you want to create a large, multifunctional online store, then this program does not have enough features for this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Big Cartel provides the minimum number of functions that will help you create your own online store and work qualitatively and quickly. For small companies and startups, this is an excellent option.

With the help of Big Cartel I created a quality online store for my products. I can easily and quickly serve customers, without forcing them to wait a long time. Mobile version is always helped me to working on the go. Also, it allows you to easily edit or add new products. I used different services, but Big Cartel has everything I need at a pleasant price.

Technical Support Engineer

"My startup with Big Cartel"

What do you like best?

If you are selling on the Internet and do not have your own website, then this software, then what you need to start up. A customer who has bought one of your products, you can suggest to pick up something else. To do this, it is enough to reset the link to your account with the goods and it will be convenient to look at the entire list and choose your product. This is very convenient because the link to the store can be provided both in social networks and by mail. It's like that you can provide customers with all of your assortment at any minute because your store is also on your smartphone.

What do you dislike?

For half a year I did not find any drawbacks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do you have a startup? Do you collect something to sell? The best solution is to start working with the big cartel.

Big Cartel helped us to create our own online store without much time and expense. That's cool. It's very easy to place the goods, edit it and it's beautiful in combination with the site's interface.

Owner

"Works Well But Has Limitations"

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy to get started and fairly straightforward to add products. It's also not very expensive.

What do you dislike?

I found the website templates to be clunky and hard to navigate relative to other systems and programs. Not as easy to adapt/make changes as I've seen in other programs. It's not fully integrated with Printful, which is unfortunate because, like Big Cartel, it appeals to small organizations and artists - it requires more hands-on management.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think if you have a small project or organization (like mine) it can offer a great service. My main frustration is with the web templates. I think with the increase in competition (e.g., Store Envy and other similar products, Big Cartel is starting to improve and tailoring it's product to artists.

I run a small nonprofit on the side and it's been easy to sell t-shirts.

Multimedia Designer

"Create as much as you can."

What do you like best?

It is wonderful and simple tools and service to create a unusual online shop, control and sell. Much easy customize the pictures, colors, type, and options of one of the lovely pre-made themes. Big helper.

What do you dislike?

Definitely, I will tell that I don't see any bad steps during work with this software. I'm glad that I found what I was searching.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With this software, you will have the ability to get your store with you. With a great access from any device will help you to control all your working process. I recommend you this platform, as I guess it is the best one for sales.

We give the right mix of real-time, search optimization, order control, and advertising tools to have a small store up and running with no stress.

Human Resources Manager
Staffing and Recruiting

"More open way to create."

What do you like best?

My work is better now. I'm glad that I start to use that software. Just in one step, I can create an amazing online shop. Very helpful tools which I can use simple.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any bad cons. Very good product to use. Everything works well. Has tools which will help you with every day. To create will be better and fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Greatest tools which you can use it. Will helps with your interface. Great work on pictures. Great combination of colors. So your themes will be the most creative.

I like that I can do a good side of my shop. I work with great tools and I can easily manage and decide what is better for my store. Helps my page works better.

Head Of Department
Banking

"A good market placet"

What do you like best?

Sell on different social media websites like Facebook and no processing fees on orders

What do you dislike?

I think BigCartel doesn't have a huge audience in terms of selling and buying. Other similar online store software have the same features almost but my store at BigCartel doesn't have a lot of sales. I even think that BigCartel is a bit more expensive than other similar software and the return isn't that much due to a limited customers available

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend others bot to buy this software. You can keep using this software as long as its free. As the sales don't over up your expenses, BigCartel becomes costly. I would recommend other online market software for selling your products

I use other software as well for selling my products online and even though BigCartel hasn't had a major impact on my earnings, I wouldn't completely deny that it is because of BigCartel that I have a few loyal customers who recommend my products to others as well.

CEO

"It's a great site for selling products "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you can get your website up and running for free.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you can't really access some of the simple features without paying (which is pretty high)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. It doesn't cost a thing so there's nothing to lose

It's just so hassle free . I don't have to go door to door. I can sell nationwide from home

Photographer
Photography

"Free version is a great starter, paid version is worth it"

What do you like best?

I like that the website is super easy to set up and you don't need to have a bunch of experience making websites to be able to figure this out. It's obvious what to do.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the free version doesn't let you put a limit on the amount of products that people can buy. This can be dangerous if you aren't aware of that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to use this for the same purposes that I did, which is selling your photography mini sessions, you will need to purchase a plan for $10 a month. The reason for this is that withthe free version, you can't set a limit on how many of each product people can buy. So if you add photo session times as a dropdown, you could get double booked! So make sure to purchase a plan so this doesn't happen to you! Luckily I noticed this before it became a problem for me. I just pay for the month of my mini sessions, then cancel. So I usually only use this twice a year. It's totally worth it.

I use big cartel to sell mini sessions for my photography business. It's very easy to send my clients to my shop and let them checkout there. They can choose their date and time from the dropdown boxes that I made and checkout right then. I then get an email that tells me what option they purchased, and their email address as well, so I can contact them with more details.

"Missing helpful tools"

What do you like best?

BigCartel is inexpensive. The pricing plans are excellent and affordable. There is an ease of use and the dashboard/tools are intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Tools that can help the business with inventory tracking and sales. Inventory tracking can only be turned on for the entire store as opposed to setting it for specific items. No customizable option for local pickup/delivery. Customer has to choose a shipping option and then be refunded later if local pickup/delivery is a free service the business provides.

Hardly any severe issues with the site running/maintaining technically. No periods of the site being down/unavailable to consumers.

Owner/Photographer
Photography

"Easy way to sell"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. I've tried setting up stores at many other sites and this was by far the easiest. You don't need to know coding, or add a lot of extensive information about the products. . You add the product information such as price, a picture and it's ready to go to the store. Nothing else is needed!

I also love that you can link your Paypal information so that payment is not an issue.

What do you dislike?

You can only add one photo with the free version. If you want to add more, you have to upgrade. It's not that expensive if you're selling items regularly. Also, you aren't able to sell digital items. It would be more helpful for my business to be able to send a download link automatically after purchase.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I've tried setting up several online shops and could not figure out how to make them work. Big Cartel is so easy to use. No coding, or crazy stuff. You add the product information such as price, a picture and it's ready to go to the store. Nothing else is needed!

It's an easy way of selling items online. The client information is all right there, from address, to detailed orders. You can link your paypal to it and get paid, then ship from the preloaded label. I would, hands down, recommend this service to anyone.

"User friendly, clean online store great for nonprofits "

What do you like best?

It’s so easy to set up your Big Cartel online store. The templates are user friendly, and their email notifications are awesome with helping keep track of online orders.

What do you dislike?

You are limited to a number of items you can sell if you use their free version of their online store.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend if you have just a few products you are selling online. They are free and very user friendly!

We are able to have a functioning, easy to use online store linked to our website.

"User friendly for both merchant and customer"

What do you like best?

The platform has an clear interface for both the merchant and the customer. It is clear where all the functions and data are on the site. Big Cartel also makes it easy to manage the products on your site and keep inventory. Merchants can also use Stripe or PayPal for the checkout.

What do you dislike?

The platform does not allow for extended customization, which is limiting especially if you would like to integrate your webstore into an existing website.

Also, if many customers have placed orders on your webstore, it can be difficult to keep track of them on the page with the orders. The orders are in a long list sorted from latest to earliest. In order to see specifics of each order, you have to click into the name of the customer. While you can search for orders by name, order number, or email, there is no function to sort the list or see orders by certain dates.

I needed an eCommerce platform to sell merchandise and only had a handful of products. I wanted an relatively inexpensive, but easy to use interface that allowed for some customization and inventory management. BigCartel had the amount of customization that I needed and had a great inventory management system. Its free tier also has many great features.

AD

"Big cartel good for non tech people"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and professional looking. It's not a cheesy looking site for the cost (most sites with templates looked cheesy to me when I was looking around). I also hate dealing w websites and this one is relatively easy to use and set up.

What do you dislike?

Not easy to use pictures on a. On gallery page (like in the about section). I've had a hard time with the pages that don't show product (making sure the formatting is correct). To be fair, I haven't messed with it in a long time so maybe now it's easier?

Easy to use

"Suitable Option For Online Store"

What do you like best?

BigCartel is a fine option for people looking for a way to sell things online without giving a platform a percentage of sales. For a monthly fee, you can sell as much as you want and not have any additional overhead.

What do you dislike?

It's not quite as customizable as I'd like. But if you don't have the time or cash to spend on building your own website, BigCartel will do the job.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Squarespace Commerce also works, but Big Cartel is actually slightly better. The downside, however, is it doesn't reside directly in your website.

When we have extra stock to sell and don't want to have to give merch companies a cut of all sales, Big Cartel helps us achieve that.

AF

"Love it."

What do you like best?

It's clean and very easy to use. I can navigate quickly and effortlessly.

What do you dislike?

I cannot link it with my social networks as easily as I could with Shopify, for example. And there are some things I can't customize without playing with html. But on tumblr I could.

I can change templates. whereas on Etsy I can't.

(Myself Only)

"Great for selling online"

What do you like best?

Easy to use platform with a free account which allows you to sell 5 products. For the price it can't be beat.

What do you dislike?

Not much, except not all shipping platforms will connect directly with the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can check out a free account before actually purchasing which gives you a nice test drive.

Easy to set up store with free account up to 5 items and only 9.99 up to 25 items. For the price and easy to use features it can't be beat.

Staff Scientist
Environmental Services

"Great platform for beginners who want a professional looking shop!"

What do you like best?

I loved how simple it was to learn, use and create in a short amount of time.

What do you dislike?

I honestly did not dislike anything, it had everything I needed.

Hosting an online store for my products at an affordable price. The benefits are that it's simple, easy to use, affordable and professional.

Graphic designer
Graphic Design

"I needed a simple shop to sell my paintings and found bigcartel"

What do you like best?

Obviously I like the free plan, letting me to sell my paintings for free! It's a slim, fast and efficent ecommerce website for artists, it's simple, clean design and very easy to use, to add products and customize the interface.

What do you dislike?

italian language support, external font support

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They improved a lot the tools you need to customize your shopping cart exactly how you need it. Now it's responsive too!

I subscribed the free plan to sell my paintings, i didn't pay a cent for it, it's limited to 5 products obviously, but using it i think i will upgrade my plan very soon.

"Big Cartel Put Me On The Map"

What do you like best?

I love the way Big Cartel looks. It's very modern looking and I also love the ability to sell on Facebook.

What do you dislike?

I wish the Gold plan offered at least 10 products instead of 5.

I just needed an easy way to sell my art. It's a hobby that has grown into a small business, so right now Big Cartel does everything I need. Again, love the ability to sell on Facebook where alot of my customers are already following me.

Big Cartel Features

9.3
Ease of Setup
Average: 7.9*
* E-Commerce Platforms Category
Do you work for Big Cartel?

Big Cartel Categories on G2