X1 Search Reviews & Product Details

X1 Search Overview

What is X1 Search?

X1 Search provides users the fastest, simplest way to find and work with the exact information they need and thought they’d never find again. By providing the fastest access to their documents and email, X1 Search unlocks the potential for people to leverage years of experience with just a few keystrokes, dramatically improve productivity, and function at their highest level. X1's award winning, easy-to-use interface simplifies the way business professionals search and act upon desktop files, remote file shares, emails, attachments, SharePoint data, and more.

X1 Search Details

X1 Search is a search and productivity application that simplifies the way business professionals search and act upon desktop files, remote file shares, emails, SharePoint data and more.

X1

Showing 41 X1 Search reviews
Already have X1 Search?
director of product management
UL
What do you like best?

X1 simply does what is supposed to do; flawlessly. I am an attorney and I use X1 several times every day. For instance, I might have written a motion 10 years ago and can remember only some basics, but can search using a few day words and SHAZAMM, X1 finds the document. I might have to terminate my practice if I did not have X1. Seriously -- this is the best program I have, bar none. I had an issue and Chris Wheaton, troubleshooter extraordinaire, quickly evaluated the issue and resolved it. He not only has a deep knowledge of the program, he is a genuinely nice, easy going guy! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike. Buy it and you will see. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Buy it. The only regret you will have is that you did not do so sooner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

X1 allows me to instantly find any document or email I am looking for, even ones that are years old. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

US
What do you like best?

Great for finding e-mail and files locally, on network shares, etc.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Indexing is fairly slow. Very slow network indexing. Does not break network indexing and local indexing up. Bugs with network indexing, causing issues if you're on a vpn and get disconnected. Sometimes seems to get stuck indexing a large file. Development cycle is very slow (1-2 builds per year?), so bugs persist for a very long time. Does not index Sharepoint (does run searches remotely). Does not index Confluence. Support is responsive, but solutions are not forthcoming. Seeking alternatives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is not great for individual users needing to index many TB of network data. It is o kay otherwise.

A large amount of disk space is required on the local client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can find knowledge that is spread across many locations. This saves a lot of time for myself (and others that I don't have to bother to find information). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Business Consultant
What do you like best?

I use X1 search multiple times a day and have done so for many years. It’s a great product that makes it super easy to retrieve any document or email, effortlessly.

The real test of any software is how the developers respond when things go wrong. I recently had an issue that was actually caused by a misconfiguration in my Windows settings. Despite the fact that X1 was not to blame for the problem, their support technician, Chris Wheaton, went above and beyond to get the problem resolved for me.

This is exactly the kind of great customer service that will keep me a devoted and loyal customer of X1 for many years. Highly recommended Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I dislike. It might be nice to see some new features added to the product every once in a while Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

X1 indexes all of my emails and documents at lightning speed and provides and easy and powerful search function Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Director
What do you like best?

Rapid indexing, easy to customize, fast results, good previewer, highlights search terms, process multiple Outlook PSTs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Slow index and retrieval if over 1 million files, don't like the horizontal side-by-side layout, not much else, its a great product Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You cannot go wrong for the price. The price of this is less than 1 labor hour of someone's time. You will save many, many hours of searching for information by using X1 Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Rapid index and retrieval of over 20 years of business data. Processes all types of popular formats used by financial people, engineers, supply, manufacturing, admin. If used correctly, it acts as a corporate memory allowing rapid answers to most questions prior work results, solutions to technical problems, and how we performed on similar problems with similar customers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have used X1 for many years (over 10) and have virtually zero problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Paying for "Premium Support" and not being able to talk with a human being. Volunteering to pay extra for Telephone Support and not hearing anything. I am NOT a technical person and some of the instructions sent to me to correct my problem were not understood by me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

However, I recently discovered that my Emails were NOT being indexed going back to June 25th. I sent in a Support Ticket. The reply I received gave me instructions, which did not seem to provide the answer to my un-indexed Emails. I was sent another email with similar instructions as the first directive. It also did not provide the answer. I am NOT a technical person. I need help. I believe I paid for "Premium Support" and I have asked for phone communication a couple of times. Today I received another email from another technical support person who told me that he was taking over for the first technical support person. Again, either I do not understand what to do here; or, what I have been directed to do is not the right solution. If I have to pay more for Telephone Support I WILL PAY EXTRA for Telephone Support. I urgently need this problem of not having emails indexed at all since June 25th needs to be corrected ASAP. Please Help. My cell phone number is: 912-245-4540. I am a small business owner. I do not have an IT Department. I am available 24/7 to get this problem resolved. As much as I have truly enjoyed using X1 over the years I cannot recommend X1 until I get this problem resolved. Please call me or send me an Email update at Chris@Kauffco.com with very, very simple instructions. Thank you, Chris Kauffman Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Semi Retired
What do you like best?

X1 makes it so quick and easy searching for an email, regardless of the search term I'm inputting. I like multi color use of different words searched for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Cost for X1 for some people may be excessive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Organization is easier with X1! Speed of searching outweighs any bundled search tool with existing computer or email accounts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The speed and the flexibility of searches Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The view panel is not always easy to read Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I review in shor times funding proposal with a lot of background material. I just organize my storage and let X1 index. Findig keyword or sentences is only a matter of typing them in Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
Media Production
What do you like best?

Layout and navigation is so much better than Win Search

More reliable than any other tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some times the behaviour is not what I expected

i. "Don’t scan when in use" does not work - so it slows the machines

ii. Setting the scanning frequency to 180 min, reverts to every 120min

iii. Other processes spawn when X1 scanning + Win Search Indexer goes crazy - again this slows the machines

iv. Slow to start up on hot key press

I cant see the reason for "cancelled" or "error" indexing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Information is that the tip of my fingers

I often have to provide information to senior managers during meetings, and since I have a bad memory the tool helps me to be professional and of value to the business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Customer Service is as good as the best I've received from any software provider. For an individual user, whose revenue to X! is trivial at best, when I have an occasional question, I get a complete answer is short order. No need to follow up to try to re-explain or restate my question. If you are lucky enough to get Chris Wheaton as your rep, you will have an articulate, responsive expert in your corner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If X! finds a search term in an document, it seems to be necessary to open the document. If there were a way when I move through a list to show the search term word in a highlighted preview window, that would speed things up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finding what I need to find across hundreds of thousands of documents and emails. As frequently used as any software application I own. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CIO
What do you like best?

Chris is always helpful and understanding of my issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have to deleted corrupted index files and start fresh. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With years and years and years of email to sort through X1 has been invaluable as a mining tool to go through all those archives! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

its simplicity. I can usually find what I am looking for in a haystack of over 100,000 items in seconds with just a few keystrokes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find something to dislike. About once every 3 years I have to reinstall due to some glitch, prob due to change of other software etc. Not really a problem! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Would recommend for pretty much anybody dealing with numerous documents to try it out! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Consultant in biotech, so dealing with lots of reports, papers, protocols and other documents from different programs and different companies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I've been using X1 search since it was known as Yahoo Desktop Search. It's one of the few programs I've found that will search for data embedded within hundreds of different file formats. You just select the network shares, local folders and outlook files want to add the index, and forget about it. From there you can filter the search results in a multitude of ways - file type, date, filename, size, source etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of much I would change about the software. I immediately saved the cost of the license by saving an hour of time searching for a CAD file I knew existed on the network somewhere that contained a certain text string. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

So for controls/instrumentation needs, it is fantastic to search for a tagname and find every procedure, loopsheet, junction box drawing, and email that contains that tag. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

X1 is a powerful search tool that works.

Even compared to good search tools, like Thunderbird email search, X1 is quicker and more complete. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

X1 is very demanding on the PC. Myself and colleagues had to upgrade RAM and to full SSDs to get X1 to work smoothly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

N/a Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

X1 solves poor network directories and is much more effective in finding documents Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

X1 Desktop Search helps to find the files, emails, and contacts that are stored on one's hard drive or SSD. After entering text in the search box, X1 consults its index to find "hits" in the file contents or file name.

I've been using X1 for about seven years. Whenever I've had problems with the software, customer support has always been responsive, even if you don't subscribe to the $19.95/year for premium support. Once, the support representative conferenced in one of the developers in order to resolve an indexing problem I had. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would hope that, at some point in the future, X1 would incorporate frequency of the query terms into its search algorithm. For example, a document that contains more occurrences of a query term should be ranked higher than a document that has a lower frequency of the query terms. Right now, the results are ranked by date, not query term frequency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I've compared X1 to other desktop search engines like Copernic, HoudaSpot, and Alfred, and I've generally found X1 to be superior. But one should read Internet reviews and experiment with trial versions in order to determine which desktop search is best for them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

X1 searches my massive array of documents and files. It quickly returns documents without my having to laboriously search through folders. It's analogous to using an index to search a book rather than using the table of contents. X1 saves me time and energy by providing relevant documents quickly and efficiently.

X1 even has boolean search operators like and, or, and not, that you can use to refine and enhance your search query. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I've used X1 for over 10 years. Every. Single. Day. It's the most useful app I have on my laptop. At one point, I lost my license. (Totally my fault due to a switch in jobs/computers.). I had *no problem* buying another one and gladly would have paid much more for the license if I needed to. It's just one of the most elegant software solutions I've ever used. Oh, and they have killer customer support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can really think of. There are other features and products that they have developed but none of them are of particular interest to me. The basic, default install gets me everything I need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it. Now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

it turns the raw dump of your email data into an extremely useful resource. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As we continue to collect data in all forms, e-mail, letters, data sheets, etc., X1 Search allows phenomenal recall of what you need when you need it. In a perfect world, all of your materials are appropriately filed in the right folders but we don't live in a perfect world. Being able to quickly bring up X1 Search and find what you need in an expeditious manner and then being able to manipulate it as you need saves times and effort. I cannot relay how many times materials we thought were lost were located by X1. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Given my experience with similar products, including those "built" into provided operating systems and software, I do not find any component lacking. Like some programs, the portal can be tweaked but I am confident that X1 continues to update as needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We solved retrieval and forwarding tasks among others. All too often ourselves with an immediate need to locate and retrieve key materials. The ability to be on a call or in a meeting and being able to locate, retrieve and share materials empowers you by letting others know that you are in full control of the material and data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Instant search results, high density presentation of results, time-saving, frustration elimination Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much at all. Once you understand how to configure it correctly, it works well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

So you're in a conference call with a bunch of co-workers, and someone says that you never sent him that email about a client. You open up X1 and search for emails, plug in the first three letters of your name into the FROM column, the first three letters of his name in the 'TO:" column, add the name of the client in the search field, and all related emails sent from you to him pop up in a list. So you say "I see where I sent you that email June 18th at 8;32 AM. Let me forward another copy to you." And from within X1, you click on 'Forward" and re-send him a copy of the email.

I used to sort and store all incoming emails by topic, but sometimes you can't decide whether the topic is 'Sales meeting issues' or 'AT&T Projects'. Now I don't move any emails to special places. I just mark them read, and if I need to go back to them, X1 finds them in seconds.

My company does not pay for this product. I paid for it out of my own pocket because I know it will save me hours of time each year and lots of frustration trying to find things in my PC. And it's the only App I pay an annual support fee for because when it crashes, I NEED to get it running again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lost emails, lost files. I'll accidentally save a file incorrectly, either with a spelling issue in the file name or I'll accidentally save it in the wrong folder. X1 is a life saver in finding things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager of Network Operations
What do you like best?

The search detail is much better and faster than the native features in Windows and also Outlook. I did have some issues based on a problem MS Office install however the X1 support team were able to identify the problem and provide a very specific solution path that worked precisely as documented. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It took a little bit of technical tinkering to make my installation work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Worth a test drive for sure. So far, for my use, it's been great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Outlook 2013 is not indexing properly. X1 solved this issue in spades. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project manager
What do you like best?

X1 Search is simply amazing. Its performance and efficiency are incredible even if you are not so precise in your search. It definitely achieve value for money and I can't now use Outlook without this software. I work a lot with emails and it helps me to find them without any difficulty.

It's so simple and intuitive to use and even when it's indexing, PC resources are not stressed at all. I literally find my perfect finding (not searching) software and i won't change it for no other solutions.

Customer Care service is one of the.most competent, kind and fast I've ever experienced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Well, I honestly didn't find something to dislike and I'm using it since 6 years now. Every new version adds features, improves performances (already perfect from my pov), easy to use, value for money ... really no dislike at all Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start with a 14 days trial, I'm sure you will buy it for sure because you won't stay without it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finding my email over hundreds of archives is so important for my business. It helps me every minute and i do not have need to store information in specific folders to find them ... i just have to find it with X1. Need to find a presentation with a specific word in it ? No problem, X1 does it in milliseconds.

It definitely saves my time, improves my work and my health (no stress spending hours in finding something) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr Dir Regulatory Affairs
What do you like best?

I have been using X1 for over 6 years, both at work and at home, for Search of Files and Emails. The ability to immediately retrieve a file based on single word searches is amazing. Can't live without this function.

Also - their Customer Support. Recently, I had a problem with the App. I sent a question into their team. Chris Wheaton a Customer Care Representative from the X1 Customer Service Team responded within 6 hours suggesting a fix. Worked perfectly! Thanks much! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No complaints about any of the product features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Simply quick access to info in my Email and files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager of Information Systems
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

X1 is a great and intuitive search that quickly finds data across various pools from file servers to email, attachments and other external sources. It's been our organization's go-to app for finding our personal and shared data for years, and once introduced to it, our new users become fans too. Customer service responses have been prompt and thorough as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Relatively rare instances of data indexing failing that needs re-indexing, but it's quite easy to do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Based on my experience and our users, and the availability of customer service, I would definitely encourage a trial of X1. As a nonprofit we were provided a healthy discount. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Document creep is common among all organizations. While we've not gone as far as the Enterprise level offering, the desktop run X1 is very good at finding user defined data wherever they direct X1 to look. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operating Director and Partner
What do you like best?

Fast search of large repositories of information. Search arguments for mail attachments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Somehow I have not been able to use logical operators in my searches Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Locating items from historical repositories that reflect business deals and contracts especially with government entities, from upwards of 20 years Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

X1 instantly enables me to find almost anything in 700,000 stored emails from the past 18 years--from prior notes to/from people with whom I'm now corresponding to email addresses to specific content. It's also useful for search documents. And on the few occasions I've needed support, my questions have been quickly and effectively answered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing.................................... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

highly recommended Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Efficient search Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Professor
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Full text indexing with instant retrieval and preview of my entire electronic world (all files documents and email, calendar). This is the best substitute for memory ever invented. I started using X1 Desktop Search in 2004 (X1 just told me that) and my life has become so much more available and known to me. The program scales amazing well searching my million or so items as quickly as a few hundred items. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing is disliked. Still, I start to wish that all my message streams (WeChat, WhatsApp, iMessage) would be indexed too. This may well be possible and I need to check. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not hesitate. This product is a winner loved by those who use it regularly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

See above. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for X1 Search?