Agent Ransack Reviews & Product Details

What is Agent Ransack?

Agent Ransack is a free software program for finding files on your PC or network drives. It is a lite version of FileLocator Pro and is a free for both personal and commercial use.

Agent Ransack Profile Details

Agent Ransack Reviews

1-17 of 17 total Agent Ransack reviews
System Engineer
(10,001+ employees)

"Search smartly and fast on Windows"

What do you like best?

Agent Ransack provides you a preview of the search results file contents, this lets you decide which file is the one you want to open.

I can search by file name, pattern of string within files and pause my search.

The search report is also useful sometimes.

What do you dislike?

It's only available on Windows platform. We also have Mac machines but we can't use Agent Ransack there.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great tool but available only for windows platform, so that's a downside.

We use Agent Ransack to search through local directories to quickly access files and documents. It is also being used by our SCM team who perform code merge and need a tool like Agent Ransack to quickly search through large number of files.

Project Delivery Manager
(10,001+ employees)

"Fast and Versatile search utility on Windows"

What do you like best?

It is a versatile search tool. I usually use the portable version of the tool which gives me confidence that it is not using any resources in the background.

It lets me preview the file content for the search result. This is cool and helps me decide which one of the search results i want to use.

What do you dislike?

It is only available on Windows platform, this smart tool should be available on Linux as well, or should let you connect to linux using ssh for performing search.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great search tool. A must have!

We use Agent Ransack on individual machines to quick search through files and folders for work related requirements.

Sales Development Representative

"Best way to find any hidden or misplaced file"

What do you like best?

I like being able to search my both online and offline files to locate anything I need without wasting countless hours. I like the reporting tool that I can along with a full analysis of the data, I can get a customized report that I am able to download and/or export in multiple formats. It indexes all my data and I have unlimited access to support.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that there is a second part to his product that although does not need it to work or run, it is in fact proven to give better results but comes with a second coast.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It works great for locating and reporting on files needed to be tracked down or monitored. However, in my opinion I feel they could make it so much better and a bit more user friendly. It seems to be a bit out dated and the free version and paid version look and operate the same. So long story short do not spend money without first really evaluating well.

Locating any and all files that pertain to work that are full of sensitive information that has to be closely watched and safe. Overall customer protection.

Senior Technical Consultant
(10,001+ employees)

"Fast and Intelligent search tool for Windows machines"

What do you like best?

Searching on windows is not convenient by default. I had to struggle finding files matching specific text pattern etc. Ever since we started using Agent Ransack, there is just no looking back anymore. You can search specific folders including sub folders, pause and play search conveniently. It also displays search results in real-time.

What do you dislike?

I don't think i dislike anything about Agent Ransack. It works great :)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a lightweight search utility which you should definitely consider using on your windows machines.

We use Agent Ransack on our deployment management servers to quickly search for particular piece of code change in patch folders and locate files responsible for the change.

Emerging Technology Advisor
(10,001+ employees)

"Windows search got better"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to search through large directories by file names or text within file names. I can also use wild cards to search through patterns of file name. It can also search you search report if you want to share with team mates. It can save search history for reuse. It is also available in portable version, so need to install the utility.

What do you dislike?

It is only available on windows platform. We also use linux and Mac Systems but can't leverage this product on those platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a lightweight yet powerful search utility. A must have tool if you have large directories on windows machines at your workplace.

We use Agent Ransack to frequently search through code repositories and shared directories for files and texts within files.

ETL Developer
(10,001+ employees)

"Awesome search utility for Windows"

What do you like best?

It's a great search utility for windows platform. You can search in multiple folders together without having to search entire drive. Search can be paused and resumed as required. You can preview file in the preview pane, now that's very helpful.

What do you dislike?

This is a great tool. There is nothing to dislike about this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product works only on Windows platform.

We are using Agent Ransack to search are work machines for documents. We also have shared windows machine to store code repositories and project documents, Agent Ransack is very helpful.

Development Coordinator, Advancement Services
Higher Education
(10,001+ employees)

"Awesome search tool for windows"

What do you like best?

It's awesome tool for searching on windows and helps you with all your searching needs. I like searching by file name, containing text, match case, file size range and search by regular expressions.

I also love the ability to pause and play the search. Now that's something extra cool.

What do you dislike?

For large folders, i wish Agent Ransack had ability to index for faster search, but i do understand it can't rely on it and hence that feature doesn't exists.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great search tool, must try but keep in mind, its only available for windows platform.

We use it at workplace mostly to scan through large folders on shared directories to look for specific documents and reports. We also use it on our local machines for searching through local files/folders.

Solution Architect
(10,001+ employees)

"Smart and fast search utility for Windows"

What do you like best?

It's fast. I am able to search for files through 15 GB folder in few minutes. I am able to search patterns through file name and strings inside the contents of file name.

It lets me preview matching string lines which helps me decide which files to retrieve.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about Agent Ransack except that it is Windows specific.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great search tool available as portable software and desktop installation.

We use Agent Ransack to search through files and patterns in code repositories.

CI

"Excellent and Efficient Search Tool"

What do you like best?

Its speed. It leaves the search capabilities of Windows in the dust. There are also many parameters that further define the search results such as file size, expressions, date and inclusion of wildcards.

What do you dislike?

I actually cannot think of any negative aspects of Agent Ransack. The right-click context menu adds great flexibility in being able to start your search in specific file system directories.

I work as a software developer on a complex software product containing over 18 million lines of code. This has proven to be a great asset for locating specific code in that vast code base.

Senior Software Engineer
(10,001+ employees)

"FileLocator Pro (Commercial version of Agent Ransack)"

What do you like best?

It's a simple tool that does exactly what it is supposed to do - help you locate files based on a wide array of filters.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that comes to mind -- I use this tool multiple times each day and it definitely suites my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're currently relying on Windows search to find files, you owe it to yourself to check out this tool -- it's much quicker and more flexible.

As a software engineer, searching for files is a task I do quite often. The built-in Windows search is slower and not as flexible as this tool.

Leader

"Find anything on your computer"

What do you like best?

Speed and flexibility - you can search for any part of a file name, or any text within a document and Agent Ransack finds it!

What do you dislike?

The name - sounds too dangerous. There is nothing I don't like about the operation of the program.

Lost and misplace files are found, multiple versions of same file are indicated. Within a few seconds, you have searched all your drives for that missing document or found the document with the text you are looking for.

Sales Agent/Representative

"Great for Finding Files"

What do you like best?

This software is user friendly and oh so helpful when trying to find files that you can't seem to locate.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, seems to work well. I have not experienced any issues.

It saves time when looking for files on my PC. I no longer have to waste time searching, this software does it for me.

"Good File Search Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to search for text within files, as well as using regular expressions

What do you dislike?

Not much, this was an easy tool to install and start using right away

We have thousands upon thousands of files we receive, and often need to look through them for a specific phrase or result. Many times, its looking to find what in the file caused a process to fail. This tool saves time to pinpoint which file we're looking for.

Director of Information Security

"Great Search tool"

What do you like best?

Ability to search hundreds of files for specific text within each file.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing about this product that I do not like

looking for specific information within thousands of files at the same time.

"Great all in one file searching app"

What do you like best?

Super fast even on large searches. Can exclude and include multiple folders making it great for source code searching to cut out the generated file hits you really don’t want. Advanced regular expression search and builder to customize your search for exactly what you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

Not much to complain about. It is a total package that I use daily.

Quick and accurate software source code searching.

"Ransacking Files"

What do you like best?

The point of the tool is to help locate files with options of several filters

What do you dislike?

No dislikes, it’s easy to use and gets the job done

It helps us find the file that causes a process to fail. This tool locates the file that’s causing the issue

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Easy to use and effective"

What do you like best?

It is fast and easy to use. I found my files using the content search option. Nothing to read to understand how to use it.

What do you dislike?

There wasn't a particular negative that I could find with the software.

Locating files in hard to locate places. File retrieval and restoration.

Agent Ransack Features

8.9
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.3*
* Desktop Search Category
Do you work for Agent Ransack?

Agent Ransack Categories on G2