Slackware

4.0

Slackware Linux is an advanced Linux operating system, designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities,including the latest popular software while retaining a sense of tradition, providing simplicity and ease of use alongside flexibility and power,

Work for Slackware?

Learning about Slackware?

Slackware Reviews

Showing 3 Slackware reviews
Slackware review by Adenike O.
Adenike O.

"Slackware enable me manually manage my system package."

What do you like best?

STABILITY - For every new release ,Slackware has been able to include the stable versions of all included software programs. This ensures that save for the mandatory security and bug fixes, users get to compile and install the latest versions of their preferred software themselves.

SIMPLICITY - Slackware is amongst the now very few Linux distributions still offering users a simple , configurable system . I love how I am able to edit plain text configuration files on my Slack.

PRIVACY - We are in the era of cloud integrations. However , Slackware does not offer cloud integration ,ensuring I am not sharing my personal data with software firms.

What do you dislike?

Slackware does not currently provide me with automatic dependency resolution and this will probably be the case for some time to come.Also in order for me to install add-on software with Slackware , I have to search and install additional dependencies by myself ,manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I endorse Slackware for server based functions. Basically I see Slackware as secure ,rock-solid and simple and these are properties I appreciate from a server installation.

I currently make use of Slackware on my workstation at my office ; operating a LAMP stack for development and system administration purposes. I never experience downtime and for the few occasions I encountered any downtime ; it was due to power cut.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Slackware
Slackware review by Stephen G. L.
Stephen G. L.

"Used Slackware circa 1993-1996"

What do you like best?

Slackware is an ancient distribution for Linux. I haven't used it lately, so have no credibility on how it lives today.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty of keeping the OS plus all installed software current with each others' versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try a more modern Linux distribution. I use Ubuntu. Haven't looked much into alternatives, lately, since I have a very stable machine. Up 4 days without need of reboot. That is new, for me, and I feel - important.

All problems, business and otherwise, that a great OS is capable of solving. I got to know Linux/UNIX and other free UNIX-like-OS based software.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Slackware review by Gabriel Y.
Gabriel Y.

"Great distrobution, love JR "Bob" Dobbs"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, good user community, lots of platforms supported.

What do you dislike?

Can be difficult to use, some packages harder to install than others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot - can be more intimidating than other distro's like Debian but worth the extra work.

We used it as a lightweight Windows replacement at a small non profit - we had donated hardware but it was older and didn't want to spend money on legit Windows software that would have run slowly anyway.

There are not enough reviews of Slackware for G2 to provide buying insight. Below are some alternatives with more reviews:

Ubuntu Logo
Ubuntu
Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.
CentOS Logo
CentOS
CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor.
RedHat Enterprise Linux Logo
RedHat Enterprise Linux
Open source platform for mission-critical computing
macOS Sierra Logo
macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra helps you rediscover your best photos, shop fast and conveniently online, and work between devices. It can also help free up storage space.
Fedora Logo
Fedora
Fedora is a Linux-based operating system, a collection of software that makes your computer run.
Oracle Linux Logo
Oracle Linux
Oracle Linux brings the latest Linux innovations to market, delivering extreme performance, advanced scalability, and reliability for enterprise applications and systems along with worldwide, enterprise-class, low-cost support. Optimized for enterprise workloads, Oracle Linux is the only operating system to offer zero-downtime updates.
Chromium OS Logo
Chromium OS
3.9
Chomium is an open-source project that aims to build an operating system that provides a fast, simple, and more secure computing experience for people who spend most of their time on the web.
openSUSE Logo
openSUSE
openSUSE is a free and Linux-based operating system for your PC, Laptop or Server. You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and photos, do office work, play videos or music and have a lot of fun!
Debian Logo
Debian
4.8
Debian is an operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run , at the core of an operating system is the kernel.
Linux Mint Logo
Linux Mint
4.7
Linux Mint produces a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.

Learning about Slackware?

* We monitor all Slackware reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.