iMovie Reviews & Product Details

iMovie Overview

What is iMovie?

iMovie for Mac lets you enjoy your videos like never before. Browse your clips easily, instantly share your favorite moments, and create Hollywood‑style trailers and beautiful movies at stunning 4K resolution.

iMovie Details

@Apple
6,052,997 Twitter followers
225,149 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

Apple’s three software platforms — iOS, OS X and watchOS — provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud.

iMovie Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the iMovie community
Have you used iMovie before?

iMovie Reviews

Showing 288 iMovie reviews
Already have iMovie?
Producer, Director, Writer
What do you like best?

I enjoy the drag and drop features, and the similar functions to FCX. I enjoy that I was able to use it and learn with very little effort or training. It's an intuitive program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the functions are limited (such as color correction and sound mixing). I also don't love the create a new project function (movie vs trailer) that pops up every time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will need a macbook (pro is best) and you'll find it easier if the images and audio you're using is already downloaded. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to edit quick videos without software that uses all my computer's energy. It's east to drag and drop. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Actriz
What do you like best?

I love that iMovie is an easy to use software . It's a software that lets me use many editing tools that I don't really know how to use but that is easy to find in the app and learn so I didn't really need previous knowledge Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Well one thing that I dislike about iMovie it's that it doesn't let me move the text to my Liberty like it is very limited when it comes to text transitions and animations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend everyone who uses a movie to have everything prepared for the moment of editing so it would be easy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Well , obviously it is solving my problems when it comes to work that I have to do for some brands that need quick and simple videos and also when I need for my own brand , I'll just do it in there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in iMovie
CEO
What do you like best?

I love the versatility that iMovie provides. I am able to edit videos quickly and I can even trim songs and convert them as MP3s. iMovie is probably the best movie editor short of Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects. I have been using iMovie to edit sermons and my own entertainment videos. Well it doesn't offer the most advanced special effects, the tools are sufficient to produce quality quick films or even piecing together individual clips into a full featured length production. Having a Mac or Apple device with iMovie is such a timesaver. iMovie is my go to for quickly editing or trimming songs and videos. It even has its amazing feature where you can upload your finished video into YouTube or Facebook. Does it get any better than that? Set my favorite tools picture-in-picture where I can overlay images or clips. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The sheer size of iMovie can be such a bummer. It takes up about 2 GB or more of the space of my MacBook Pro. The other downside of iMovie is that the effects and tools are very limited. My biggest annoyance with iMovie is continue changes on titles that either overlay a part of a clip or the beginning of a clip often times continue to increase font spacing/kerning on the video and there's no clear way to fix that outside of starting the video over. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are two things you must do with iMovie, number one is toy round and click some stuff to get very familiar. In fact click on everything. The other thing I would recommend is that you make sure you have enough storage on your device because iMovie does back up a copy of your video so that it doesn't touch the original. The software can seem daunting and confusing at first but if you play around with it and get familiar just from clicking on things I can promise you that it would be such a great tool that you would readily use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

iMovie is allowing me quick solutions to editing clips and audio and I'm able to quickly deliver content to my audience or to my clients. iMovie has been such a saving grace because it allows me to export quality video set isn't fuzzy or low resolution. It's also allow me to continue to provide content to my audience without having to rely on a web browser or the Internet. I can export and save these products to my thumb drive or SD memory card and upload them elsewhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

managing director
What do you like best?

iMovie is such a great tool to use no matter your knowledge level of video editing. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced editor this software can help you get you what you need. This software comes with most Macs and once you start using it you will not want to edit your videos anywhere else. It is easy to use and for those of you who are really trying to pull off a bigger edited video you have all of the basic tools you need right at your finger tips. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When you import an image, it automatically gets it into Ken Burns mode. The average user may not know how to get out of that mode if they just want to drag and drop an image onto the timeline. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is the one and only software you need to get going on video editing. This covers it all from a beginner editor or even an advanced editor. Great tool and easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have helped people put teaching material together with iMovie and I have also put a family video together. This tool is great to use at home or the office. I feel like I get to use it to help better my value around the office because I know how to help clients make a video. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Email Marketing Manager
What do you like best?

It is a simple way to do at home video editing. I am able to create slide shows with ease, or edit videos together without too much heartache. Straight forward tool. I am easily able to grab music from itunes or music that I have edited in garage band, it is part of a comprehensive suite on my mac and it is included. I appreciate that it is just what I need without having to go out and purchase additional software. I am not a professional editor, but this gives me exactly what is needed in order to complete professional work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They change the UX and transition options fairly often. Since I don't use this on the regular it takes a bit of time to get refamiliarized. Navigating it for editing of videos is a bit of a challenge. It isn't as straight forward for me as it is for the slideshow editing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Are you interested in at home video editing and more of a consumer use case, then this is your tool. Similarly if you just need some quick basic edits, there is no need to look any further than iMovie Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editing slideshows is the most common use case for me. Although I have also used it to combine video footage or do basic video editing with combining and cutting snippets.

It has enabled me to complete a quick edit of a video for a bride when we were unable to send the footage to our professional editors due to time constraints. This is really for when the professional editors left something out and we needed to ensure we get it back in while still returning the finished product to the client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that iMovie is so simple to use. It's free with every Mac, and really easy and fast to start combining clips together for the first time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For someone more experienced in video editing, it's very limiting. For instance, you cannot layer multiple tracks of video and there is very limited support for overlaying graphics or titles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend someone check out iMovie if they want to jump into the world of video editing. Even for something as simple as creating a photo slideshow, it's super easy to use and includes themes and templates to use as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

iMovie was one of the first video editing programs I learned how to use, and it was a great way to start editing video for the first time. it led me down the path of becoming a professional video editor today. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Music Consultant/Entertainer
What do you like best?

In iMovie, I love that I can add music, captions and transitions between parts of my video. Editing is quite easy with trimming. You can adjust volume of each segment to fit your needs. And in the sharing, you have options with the quality of video that you share. All done right on my laptop and then video ready for the course that I just created. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like that I couldn't go from y my iMovie app on my phone to transporting it to iMovie on my laptop. I didn't find an easy way to do that. Also, Some of the tools to save and share in iMovie are not so intuitive. They take a bit of searching to find. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are not super savvy with editing but need something basic that will give you a professional quality to your video, I highly recommend using this product for your business. It is great for the online world. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed to record quite a few videos for a course I'm just launching and iMovie helped me make it look super pro in the final cuts. It let me do it all from my home--even adding intros and outros that others created were easy to add to the final product. And now these videos look the quality of what I wanted for my music business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Intern
What do you like best?

iMovie is very intuitive and easy to use. I am able to upload my clips to the project, rearrange, trim, crop, and overlay them quickly, creating a product that looks like I had hired someone to do it. Most of the video editing software that you find online will either put a watermark on your video, making it look unprofessional, or charge a fee to remove the watermark. iMovie has no watermarks and also comes free on Apple Devices, which is nice if you are just starting to experiment with using videos. With its ability to export videos in many different formats and sizes, it makes it very easy to create small videos that can be sent over email/Dropbox, or larger videos that you can upload to YouTube or other video sharing sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are not many downsides to iMovie, however, I would like to be able to add text anywhere on the screen as opposed to the locations that the pre-made templates are set to. This may be a more advanced feature in Final Cut Pro, which is also made by Apple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend iMovie to anyone looking to quickly and easily make professional-looking videos. You do not need much experience to effectively use the software and there are plenty of forums and videos online that can walk you through any features that you do not understand how to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to convey to my colleagues and customers, things that are difficult to explain or understand through text alone. iMovie has allowed me to show step-by-step how things work and help familiarize my team with software and concepts. Using iMovie has saved my team countless hours of in-person training sessions and definitely provides them with better information than a text explanation would. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Eric Guilmette
What do you like best?

The ease of use and accessibility. I have an iPhone and MacBook Pro so it's nice to be able to use and freely share between the devices. Also, it is VERY easy to use. You don't need training in iMovie to be able to use it like a pro - there are plenty of templates that make it doable for anyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of features iMovie doesn't have that a more professional editing software does have. For example, I use Premiere Pro and features like LUTs, Essential Graphics/Sounds, Speed Ramping, etc. are all a lot easier and higher tech on the other platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For more professional editing softwares, I would recommend giving Premiere Pro or Final Cut a look before iMovie but for every day simple-video creators, you can't go wrong with iMovie. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creating simple videos for Instagram Story / TikTok. Again, it is so easy to use and it's very simple to have my devices communicate with each other! The templates and ability to select which format you want to edit for based on the platform you intend to use the video on definitely makes this an easy choice for something quick and easy like IG story. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I love how simplistic this software is. You can do so much with it, but yet it’s so easy to learn and use. Amazing beginner movie making software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much to dislike with this software. The lack of advance features such as editing graphics is a drawback though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely download this software and use it to its full potential. You won’t regret it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use iMovie to edit videos for my clients. It saves me from spending hours of editing on an advance software. iMovie keeps it short and simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It has a lot of built-in templates and modes for you to choose from, which makes it easy to click and choose to build your project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's so bloated and clunky. Takes forever to load because of the app itself. Doesn't allow the user to do what you want freely as there are a lot of limitations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are new to video editing, this is a great place to start to learn all about it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

If I need a quick video done and I have no video editing skills, this app would be helpful with that. But be prepared for how bloated it is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Classroom Tutor and Site Coordinator
Higher Education
What do you like best?

If you are just getting started with video editing, this is an easy application to use. It is not as confusing to use as Final Cut Pro X. Great if you just need to cut and paste together several clips or include simple transitions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does not allow for a lot of flexibility and sophisticated editing techniques. The available transitions, fonts, sound, etc. are sort of juvenile. It is clear when iMovie is being used to edit a video that requires a lot of editing (with text, transitions, color correcting, etc.). The biggest disadvantage of iMovie in my opinion is that you cannot share an iMovie file that you are working on with others people or across other devices. Though it's also not very obvious how to do so with Final Cut Pro X, it is definitely possible and easy to do once you learn how to do it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you know you only need simple edits, iMovie will serve your needs. But it will be work splurging $200+ to purchase Final Cut Pro X for more flexibility and sophisticated editing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

iMovie is overall great for beginners at editing and comes free with your Macbook purchase. You can do simple edits, and it is fairly easy to learn how to use this application. Don't expect to do any sophisticated edits, and you unfortunately can't share your file across devices and/or with other people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Research Assistant
What do you like best?

It is so easy to navigate and makes you feel like you know what you are doing, especially with the options to input your videos or pictures into a premade video/trailer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The limitations of music and text. Sometimes the music doesn't fit the correct audience. Also, if I have a vertical photo or video, iMovie is only horizontal so it is hard to adjust or post on a platform that uses vertical such as Instagram. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is easy to upload anywhere and edit anything. It is easy for amateurs to use as you just insert what you want and clip. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

iMovie is a simple application that provides templates for your projects, such as templates of varying genres for trailers and feature films or shorts. It’s easy, fun, and has so much to offer. There’s even an app so that you can play with it on the go. I love how there’s a score provided with each template. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The templates are generic for the genre it’s catering to, but it’s a good start for those who want something to tinker with. The templates are customizable, but I’m not a fan of the color palette of each genre; for example, the template for the “swashbuckling” trailer has a color palette of gold and brown, but the way it is edifies gives it an amateur quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend iMovie for those who are new to making movies or video editing. It is an application that is good to know and quite fun to use. I would suggest checking out online tutorials for in-depth instruction on how to manipulate the application to achieve a product of the highest quality. It has come a long way since 2008 and I love the high quality original score that it now comes with, which gives it a very professional, cinematic feel to it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been using iMovie ever since middle school, and it has helped me on many creative projects. iMovie is beneficial for those who want to make an indie film and need a free, easy application to put together some footage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

B788 F/O
What do you like best?

So easy to use, that was the first time that I made a video form zero, and I did. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You can’t edit the photos in the app, so yo have to edit on the photos app and then come back and add. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No video editor experience, but so easy to used that you can use and make by yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Biomed major
What do you like best?

Ive never used video editing software in the past, and even if it was my first time, even withought a tutorial or instructions, it was easy to use, and very beginner friendly. You can easily access your files, its drag and drop, and add music layers, effects, filters, transitions, sound effects withought problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dont like that it takes up so much storage, and most times I use it, my computer freezes sometimes and is slow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When using iMovie, videos take up a lot of storage, so I reccomend saving the videos onto a seperate drive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Now with more and more things going online, and the internet becoming a huge part of how things work, video is a huge component of that, and so leaning to use these skills is important. Ive created memory videos, kind of like a scrap book, and other things like projects for school. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

So I’m a fan of iPhones and I’m also a editing buff so it was great to see iMovie I really had fun with the themes that made my footage seem more professional Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s was a bit ruff at first the transition and getting the information all in the right place like at the end doing credits Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don’t get frustrated with the tools. Set some times to do editing. Make sure your spell check is on . Contact iMovie support if u really having a hard time. Have fun with it . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

So iMovie helps your video go from blah to fabulous many people use it for fun celebration. If your boss birthday is coming up get iMovie and capture the fun and work life moments .imovie gives you that Hollywood edge without having to pay Hollywood prices . Most iMovie apps can even be used from your cell phone also so that was great to see. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

iMovie is the first video editing software that I was ever acquainted with, and I edited hundreds of full-length videos and content utilizing it, which gave me a solid foundation for understanding video editing. I like how user-friendly it is and how it can easily be used by a first-time editor with pretty straightforwards instructions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Once you've gained your foundation in iMovie, there's definitely a desire to do more with your creative side of editing, which iMovie doesn't tend to fulfill. The thing is, it's an application that you tend to outgrow, which is why I don't know many serious content creators who still use it. However, there are things that you can do to manipulate the program into doing what you want. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilize iMovie (especially if you have a Mac, because it's free) when you're starting out, but don't be afraid to turn to the internet to learn about elements of the editing process that you can add in yourself, that aren't immediately obvious within iMovie's infrastructure. There are lots of other things that you can do with a little research. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

iMovie is wonderful, efficient, and user-friendly (as mentioned) for anyone starting out in the video world. The exporting process is super easy, along with adding transitions/titles to everything. That's what I appreciate so much about it, is that I was able to edit and produce daily videos while traveling because it did not take me much time at all to finish them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

It’s easy to use and add music and creat movies. It offers preset backdrops Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Doesn’t have as many features and editing sources as I would like also the presets take over and allow overrides Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a create tool to use to create advertisements, proposals, etc. it’s easy to use and they’re are so many creative ways to make a unique project Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use iMovie for school and have been able to create meaningful projects that have greatly benefitted my grade. It has allowed me to make projects that use voiceover and I can insert videos into them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales Operations Specialist
What do you like best?

The most helpful thing about iMovie is that it is a free video maker by Apple.

It is not the cinematic type editor but it definitely does a better job with video editing needs.

I love that iMovie is available on mac as well as on iphone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For now, it is hard to find any downside to iMovie. It serves me very well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend iMovie for video editing purposes. It has all the basic functionalities, templates, transitions, fonts, style, etc that we need to create a winning short clips or video clips to get our customers to say yes. Why pay for expensive video editing tools, when there is iMovie free! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

iMovie has impacted my work a lot. For me, at times it is best not to write, not to talk, but just to play a catching short video clip to win it. And it really does. When ideas come, I don't waste a single time. I grab right away my laptop to put it into concept before I lose it. But at times I don't have my laptop, so I grab my iphone and start from the iMovie application there, and I can continue my work better as soon as I have access to my mac. It is very smooth and easy to transition with almost no lag. With iMovie, I can choose different video formats that would fit my needs. Sometimes the format must be small enough for quick loading and uploading to our website. Sometimes, it has to be in HD with big format so it is best viewable on big screens. iMovie can handle it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UT
What do you like best?

So useful for marketing materials and editing videos to make it good look for internal presentations or anything that goes on Youtube. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how there are only certain formats that you can upload on iMovie so you have to convert a lot of things.The only problem with iMovie is that iMovie doesn't have multiple editor functions so that people can collaborate together. Otherwise iMovie is great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was able to create videos without spending much on expensive software and iMovie makes it easy for any amateur video maker to put videos together. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Self Employed
What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use since it is basic, it is highly intuitive and I appreciate that a lot. If this is your first time editing then imovie, hands down is the best app you can use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love for Imove to accept new fonts. Something along the lines of creating text and titles should be improved. Also, the export are sometimes messy when you stabilize long videos. There is something strange going on with stabilization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have never edited video and want to start, then iMovie has everything you need. Hands down the best simple video editor.

If you need to do something, there are always a lot of youtube videos explaining to you how to do it, that's what I love about learning on Imovie, the curve is short since there is a lot of instructional material out there! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I have a computer, iPad or phone, that does not have Final Cut nor Adobe Premier Pro, then Imovie comes in handy! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Some of the best and most stylish wedding videos we make are made with iMovie. The videos are even used as our ads. That says a lot about the quality of the movies made there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that I have to exp