Code42 Reviews & Product Details

Code42 Overview

What is Code42?

Code42 insider risk detection and response for the collaborative and remote enterprise. Code42 speeds the time it takes to detect and respond to data risk from insider threats. We help to stop insider threat surprises without disrupting legitimate work. We do this by detecting how data is being used and shared across computers, cloud and email. We provide risk detection lenses to help you focus on the largest insider threat scenarios affecting your organization. What makes us unique is the speed and simplicity we bring to investigations. The depth and history of our information allows you to quickly decide and act. And because time matters, we make it easy to get started. You can deploy and be up and running in just a couple weeks.

Code42 Details
Discussions
Code42 Community

Next-Gen Data Loss Protection

The Code42 Difference

Curated detection lenses – for a focused view of risk. Our insider risk detection lenses are purpose-built for specific insider threat scenarios. We show you when and how users are putting high-value data at risk, and help you investigate events with just a few clicks.

Risk indicators and actionable context – for accurate decision making. We have the current and historical user, file and activity information you need to distinguish between sanctioned and unsanctioned activity and assess the value of files put at risk.

Right-sized response – to resolve risk without slowing down the business. The risk of an activity can vary greatly depending on the files and users involved. You’ll have the evidence needed to select the best course of action and respond quickly, whether that be through training, conversation, legal action, or anywhere in-between.

Code42
2001
Minneapolis, MN
@code42

Code42 Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Code42 community
Have you used Code42 before?

Code42 Reviews

Showing 380 Code42 reviews
Already have Code42?
Project Manager
What do you like best?

I'm not technical at all and I was able to use it, it started with my dog my laptop, and a soda glass in a bad place, a few moments later my keyboard was full of soda, and fast forward a few hours and a call to my company technical support a laptop replacement was scheduled, because of the current pandemic I was getting a new laptop and responsible to set it up myself with help by phone of a technician instead of going to the office and ask for help, it took us 1 hour to set up the new laptop and it was running like the old one minus the soda in a few hours after the sync of my old laptop backup downloaded to the new one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Didn't knew about it until I needed it and worked perfect 10/10 for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A must-have in case your computer suffers an accident Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backing up and restoring backups between computers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Before the covid hit the world I used to be more at customer sites than on the office and I'm not the most careful person in this world so I have had a few issues with my work laptops including a cracked screen an a keyboard failure and several of my colleagues have had their laptops stolen, luckily for all of us it is as simple as making sure Code42 runs on the background every day so, at most, we can lose a day worth of work done when we receive a replacement laptop. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't know if it is the program or my employer decision, but It only runs when connected to the VPN, and after a hard day of work on a customer site and tired, connecting the laptop to the VPN at the hotel is a bigger task than it seems on theory, since the backups are encrypted anyway that extra layer of security is a bit excessive and would be great if it could be turned off. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Back your data like you think your computer is going to fail tomorrow, maybe some day you will be right about that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backing up my machine religiously and when needed swapping my data to another machine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Engineer
What do you like best?

I'm lucky that I have not needed to use this tool yet, but in my team 4/21 already needed to use it and a poor soul needed to use it twice and it is just nice to know that if you have an issue with your laptop like having it stolen or you drop a soda on it you have a way to recover 99% of your data by switching devices to a new one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is 100% guaranteed to work if you do a restore to a new machine with the same OS and same hardware configuration, one of my coworkers had the great idea to do an update to the system before doing the restore, and it caused several errors so it is a good idea to have the machine in a state where your configs and files can be restored verbatim Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just let the software run as the default Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I know it is a good tool to restore a data backup if my laptop has an issue and I need a new one Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I'm not on the road as often as before because the whole world is at a halt now but when I use to manage the account at customer premises most of my work was done locally on my machine and every day I had the habit to check outlook and reply emails and without me knowing backing up all my data to the company cloud. I had an incident: My pc was stolen since I left it in the back of the car while we were eating and the window got broken, bad as it is I was far more worried about the data than the computer, everything was encrypted but I thought I lost a lot of valuable information. Luckily for me, I was not the first in the team who got a bad experience like that so my boss checked with the internal IT team and I got a new machine with all my data in just 2 days. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I love this software, I didn't knew I had it until I needed it and it worked so 10/10 all around. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Let it run, don't disable it, one day it might save you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backing my data and if needed restoring it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It works as expected, It runs my backups weekly and my data is safe, hoping that I will never need it, but it did happen once in the San Francisco area that some coworkers and I decided to go dine, it was quite late since we really needed to finish some things and decided to go to a Dennis and left the car below a camera, we neglected to grab our backpacks with us and... the crystal got broken and our backpacks included our laptops gone. It was a hard blow to all of us, but luckily after we got a replacement everything except the last day was backed up and ready to restore, and when the restore was done everything worked as on my old laptop. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I totally get why the backups are only done while inside the VPN, but it would be even more amazing if no VPN was needed for backups Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't skip the backups Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backing up my data, hoping that I never need to restore my data to a new laptop again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I had never had(yet) a hard drive failure or a laptop stolen, but it is sadly relatively common that our engineers that go onsite have the computer stolen or broken for some reason and all the works files can be easily restored to a new machine relatively quickly and painless, also when I have done a computer refresh from a Lenovo machine to another one I just grab the backup from Code 42. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I always forget the name Code 42, for me, CrashPlan would be easier to remember and a lot more intuitive. I don't get why they decided to change to a harder to remember the name but it works exactly the same. No issues in the functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't postpone the backup, you don't know when your computer may fail. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It makes good backups and it is easy to restore them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have a lot of important files in my computer that would give me almost a heart attack if I lost them and would make my team and my boss really unhappy at least for a few days, that's why I check all my backups are up to date every night. It just gives me a peace of mind knowing I can't really lose my data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I totally understand the need for a secure connection but since all data goes thru the company VPN to reach the backup servers that means a slower backup, not a big deal, still very fast but I like using 100% of my 1GBps Google Fiber whenever possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't forget to backup your data Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backups and more backups, I have not needed to restore anything yet but I know it is ready for whenever I need it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Engineer
What do you like best?

I didn't think a lot about this software until I needed it. Since I have been working from home because of the pandemic I have gotten used to eating in front of my laptop. This Monday while checking mails I dropped a drink in my keyboard and thought that my computer was going to die, luckily for me, it didn't but It was nice to see that a full backup was in the secured cloud just in case I needed to switch computers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The GUI is kind of slow, it took almost a full minute to load before I could log in and use it, very minor issue but still there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It does not really matter what you are using for backup, but having a backup just in case is always important. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

So far knowing that I have all my work data secure in the cloud, I'm probably going to use it on my next computer refresh or if my computer decides to die suddenly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UX/UI Designer
What do you like best?

It has unlimited storage this means that the customer does not have to worry about having a tight space per month to perform all the backup tasks they want. It has a cloud backup support available 24/7 allowing it to be used in the event of a real emergency. It is a very reliable software, everything that promises it gives to perfection being this of complete importance given the nature of its functions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is necessary to have a dedicated bandwidth to carry out the backups or at least have a very fast connection so that this process was carried out in the most efficient and fast way possible without affecting the performance of the daily activities carried out by your company. Memory handling can be improved to take up much less space, it's a matter of resource efficiency that is needed in any software no matter what it's used for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A software similar to this is Kount, which claims to be a solution for fraud detection and ransomware attacks. One of the differences that both applications have is that Kount does not offer a free trial so it is necessary to pay for its fee to use its functions, on the other hand Code42 if it offers this option which is quite complete even providing some advanced features within that trial. Both have pretty good customer support, with agents who fully understand the software and are able to offer you useful solutions and suggestions to your problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our company is something small so having a backup of our activities and data is of the utmost importance as well as being able to afford a software that does this type of work without leaving our budget is just what Code42 has done for us, take care of our data as well as stay within the budget that we have what has been of extreme help to have found this tool so we're really grateful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Code42 CrashPlan Small Business offers continuous, unlimited backup for servers and workstations at a bargain basement price ($10/device/mo). The backup service is reliable and the interface is relatively simple to use. Configurable version retention and retains backups of deleted files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The backup application is not database-aware, so you will need to use another backup solution (built-in or otherwise) to dump any databases to static files for Crashplan to backup. Restores can be slooooow, but par for the course for this level of cloud backup service (beats the pants off of Carbonite's restore speed). *No NAS clients*! The entire company structure is cryptic and confusing. First it was Crashplan, then they canned the consumer product and the original small business product and the company and backup product was renamed Code42, now the company and a different, overarching product are called Code42 and the backup solution is Code42 Crashplan for Small Business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

First, evaluate if you really need a true Disaster Recovery product. Most likely you do. Code42 Crashplan is *not* a DR product. It's great for replacing the occasional accidentally deleted file, but if you lose an entire server, it's not going to get you back up and running. It might be part of the process, but it won't handle the entire ordeal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Code42 Crashplan for clients with basic Windows fileservers, or several computers with no servers whatsoever. It hasn't failed us yet for restoring the occasional "oops! I deleted this file, can you get it back?" Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Officer
What do you like best?

A software that prevents future errors, such as certain data failure related to employee resignation this and other internal information leakage. This allows us to diagnosis the level of basic direct supervisor by automatically monitoring every computer and/or nube that lets us identify the excessive usage with USB operating systems among others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features, along with purifying outdated documents, take a bit more time to suss out, partly because the times you need to accomplish these will be many other months between. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider going cloud-wide. We have gone hybrid. Believing the upgrades and functionality that were introduced now should have allowed us go cloud first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backup copies of database system with in cloud, shielded with maximum security, allowing us to access those same emails quickly after performing various tasks on our servers, without affecting the maintenance operations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Marketing Specialist
What do you like best?

Code42 It works as a highly compatible software with multi-user environments, generating peace of mind of having a safety net. Continuous database monitoring is done with this software more effectively. I make many backups with a single account, to have everything stored in one place. Its interface is fast and fluid. Everything works wonderfully. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The number of devices that users support is not clearly seen, an optimization is really necessary to have details of what is being done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Code42 will always be good, it allows you to trust and establish various forms of security for files and users. It is ideal for large, medinas and small companies, it does not distinguish the type of organization. It works very well, I am sure you will like it from the first moment you install it. Is incredible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Code42 intervenes in our work environment to carry out very solid continuous backups. It establishes with many criteria the way of working when choosing which files can be backed up. We can authenticate ourselves in two factors and create user passwords to deepen security. We feel confident using this program. It has given us peace of mind to be able to generate a backup copy of important documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Engineer
What do you like best?

A program which avoids potential errors, such as data loss due to departure of the employee and other internal data leaks. This helps us to instantly diagnose the lack of personal data by automatically tracking any device and/or the nube that helps us to recognise, among others, the irregular use of USB web browsers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Company documentation requires highly automated e-mail correspondence, but contact with consumers also reveals that backups are never done. This tends to alert users to the fact that their data are not stable. This is important to enhance the efficiency of this correspondence. Latest upgrades for Crashplan cloud customers are automatic, and in situations where the upgrade crashed, the upgrade was quite difficult. I was too late to satisfy those accounts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In order to keep their data secure through a easy and intuitive program, which has an efficient technological service and a price fair because of the value of apps, it is recommended for every organization to keep their data safe. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Single backup. We only use this for notebook and server backups. Our workers fly across the globe regularly and we need a safe way to ensure that backups are carried out wherever they are. When back-ups have not been done, we (and the employee) are informed on a daily basis to keep us updated who is at risk of not getting an updated backup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AG
What do you like best?

It's very easy to set up the software. It's application interface is very user-friendly; love the minimalist UX/UI design yet it's easy to navigate. The prices are reasonable and it's much more convenient to keep track of all your files to date without having to go through and update them individually/manually. It also save me time as it offers several backup options, from every few hours to a few days. Definitely hassle free and I don't have to worry losing any of my files or purchase multiple hard drives and often gets lost or muddled with other external drives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you don't have the fastest internet, it usually will take a few hours to run through all the files. Especially if you have an older computer model; it definitely affects its speed. Sometimes it will lag on whatever work I'm currently performing whilst it does its schedule backup. I also feel their customer support system and FAQ not very easily accessible when needed; there are certainly times where I find it hard to looks for answers and had to reach to a specialist via email, which took a few days to hear back. It would also be really helpful if the software is offered is other languages other than English as some of our office colleagues are not native English speakers and would sometimes mistakenly select the wrong options when prompt a message/instruction to run a schedule backup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a busy digital designer, I won't have to worry about losing any of my files, in an unlikely event my computer crashes suddenly. Files can be backed up at your scheduled pace and runs smoothly most of the time in the background whilst I work on other things. I can easily retrieve and access the files from other computers and they often provide friendly reminders and updates to make the platform run more smoothly and compatible with the latest iOS system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Taking backup in back-end and saving my data on cloud, also i scheduled weekly full backup on clouds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not sure what is the dislike point here, i like all feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

yes I Recommendations to everyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's solving for backup of my system on clouds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

The logo is nice. The logo is nice. The logo is nice. The logo is nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

After paying for the service for 3.5 years, I finally needed to access a lost file. Guess what! Code 42 had not backed it up and a rude agent used mumbo jumbo to explain and the ifs ands and buts of the back up service. Then he assigned me the task of diagnosing why the file wasn't backed up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have Code 42 to back up my files. The benefit would be if Code 42 actually did the back up in a reliable manner Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

Great costumer support and wide varitey of useful features to track insider threats Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A bit too difficult to set up. Needs additional supervision. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mostly for insider loss management and to backup data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Strategy Consultant
What do you like best?

A software that prevents us from possible accidents, such as loss of data as a result of employee departure and among other internal data leaks. It offers us the immediate detection of the loss of data, also the immediate solution to this situation, by means of an automatic monitoring in each of the computers and / or cloud which facilitates the identification of the unusual use of USB web browsers among others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Being a system that is based on the identification of situations that may cause data loss, it is dedicated to limiting all actions that can be performed through a computer or the cloud, so the realization of a daily workday can be converted a bit tedious because you don't have free access to all the functionalities as it normally would be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is advisable for any company that is interested in keeping their data safe through a simple and intuitive application, which has an efficient technical service and its price is quite reasonable for the importance of the need that, as software, it solves. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All our users have an updated backup, and with the help of Code42 the update of users on new computers is simplified, in addition we can configure automatic notifications that comply with informing when a backup has not been completed. Your updates are not complex and automated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EC
What do you like best?

Once it is set up, it chugs away in the background. It knows to pause if your battery drops below a threshold. It is possible to have it not backup on certain networks, e.g., airplane WiFi. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I needed it, it hadn't worked. The downside of setting up the software and having it chug away, is that I thought it was working, but it was not. My website development software apparently stores my sire in the Application Support directory on the Mac. By default, CrashPlan didn't pick up on that and excluded it even though nothing is excluded in the setup. So when an Apple "update" trashes the OS, CrashPlan was not able to restore my work.

CrashPlan has increased in price and decreased in speed over the last 18 months. If it had worked, it may have been worth it, but the only reason to back up is to restore, and it didn't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look elsewhere. It is too expensive and no longer reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

One thing about autocorrect, and that is sometimes it is even right. "CrapPlan" seemed like a good summary. The problem I was solving was the loss of data and the risk of a loss of my on-site backups. It failed to protect me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network consulting engineer
What do you like best?

When I was in college losing my PC was the end of the world because of the price of the hardware and the data was not that of a big deal, now that I'm working tables have turned. I can afford to lose my MacBook Pro, for sure I will be slightly annoyed, but losing my data with days or weeks of work will really freak me out, with Code42 running daily I'm sure it won't happen, worst case is that I'll lose the data of one day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike, it makes the backup without annoying or disturbing your work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't pause the backup if you care about your data as I do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backup of my machines and if needed restore the status in a new hardware. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administrative Secretary
What do you like best?

Code42 is an amazing app you can download and save all of your work that you use its an awesome way to back up everything and not have to worry if you will loose your stuff what i like is that it backup automatically i absolutely love this app Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

at times it takes a while to load and to save everything and this seems make your computer slow Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving to be able to save all my documents and not worry once my computer gets reimaged Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Global IT Security Analyst
Retail
What do you like best?

The user license distribution is great and back and restore is easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Licensing should be transparent and customer support team should be easy to contact.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a product just for backup/restore then you should go for it.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backup and retention. Disaster recovery and Business Continuity Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Security Engineer
What do you like best?

I don't even notice is there but I do check from time to time that is working just in case. You can setup the hours you want your machine backed up and set some conditions so it does not interfere with your work, after I did this I only open it from time to time to make sure it's still working and it is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You have to configure the hours and conditions it does not come by default, the only thing that comes by default is that it stops the backup if the battery is low. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Configure rules so it only backs up when you are not using the PC Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backing up my computer in case I ever lost it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Information and Educational Technology
What do you like best?

Configure it and forget it! If there is a problem (rare) you can set up automated notifications that will let you know when a backup has not been completed within your specified time frame. The defaults for user backup generally catch all of the settings and data that needs to be backed up, but these can be tweaked for special situations, such as users who store critical data in unconventional places. The restore process is easy and intuitive. Software updates are easy and largely automated. This is really nice for remote users at distance sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some functions, such as purging obsolete archives, take a little time to figure out, partially because it may be several months between the times you need accomplish these. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The product works really well. Their technical support is excellent. The price is reasonable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have confidence that all of our users have an up-to-date backup. Code42 simplifies upgrading users to new computers. All we need to do is setup a new workstation, do a restore, and they're back in business. The users can continue to use their current machines while we are setting up a new one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales Advocate
What do you like best?

Configurable to my needs per device, I have all my desktop information backed up regularly, checking changes every hour, but my laptop is only being backed up when plugged up to power or with more than 70% of battery with scans every 12 hours. I did a PC refresh 4 months ago and was really easy to switch my old machine to the new one just restoring the code 42 backup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No buts for me, everything runs smoothly for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Spend 10-15 minutes configuring it to your needs, it's worth it in the long run. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Backing up, switching between laptops. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.