Code42

Showing 358 Code42 reviews
Angel M.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Code42
Damien D.

What Data Loss Prevention (DLP) solution do you use?

David P.

"It just works"

What do you like best?

Configure it and forget it! If there is a problem (rare) you can set up automated notifications that will let you know when a backup has not been completed within your specified time frame. The defaults for user backup generally catch all of the settings and data that needs to be backed up, but these can be tweaked for special situations, such as users who store critical data in unconventional places. The restore process is easy and intuitive. Software updates are easy and largely automated. This is really nice for remote users at distance sites.

What do you dislike?

Some functions, such as purging obsolete archives, take a little time to figure out, partially because it may be several months between the times you need accomplish these.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The product works really well. Their technical support is excellent. The price is reasonable.

We have confidence that all of our users have an up-to-date backup. Code42 simplifies upgrading users to new computers. All we need to do is setup a new workstation, do a restore, and they're back in business. The users can continue to use their current machines while we are setting up a new one.

Tim D H.

"Easy and Secure Cloud Backups"

What do you like best?

It is a simple and safe way to create backups in the cloud, in our company, we use different storage and data protection services in the cloud, but I am encouraged to give a review about Code42, since it is a very functional tool, Security is one of its strengths, we have tried different external attacks, based on DDOS, to check the vulnerability of the files protected with Code42, and it has been impossible to break their protection.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a bit simpler, you can work a lot on it, actually in an application like this, it is not so primordial, but if you give more importance to this part, you can help make it more intuitive and easier to use, I do not like that the processes of backups can take a long time, we have high speed SSD disks to perform this type of tasks, but also, these processes take a long time to complete.

backup copies of files and databases, in the cloud, protected with the highest security, thanks to this we can have access to these documents, after performing different maintenance tasks on our servers, quickly, without the processes of maintenance may be affected.

Heath C.

"Does the backup and gives you peace of mind."

What do you like best?

When I was in college losing my PC was the end of the world because of the price of the hardware and the data was not that of a big deal, now that I'm working tables have turned. I can afford to lose my MacBook Pro, for sure I will be slightly annoyed, but losing my data with days or weeks of work will really freak me out, with Code42 running daily I'm sure it won't happen, worst case is that I'll lose the data of one day.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike, it makes the backup without annoying or disturbing your work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't pause the backup if you care about your data as I do.

Backup of my machines and if needed restore the status in a new hardware.

Albert C.

"Backups my computer without annoying me."

What do you like best?

I don't even notice is there but I do check from time to time that is working just in case. You can setup the hours you want your machine backed up and set some conditions so it does not interfere with your work, after I did this I only open it from time to time to make sure it's still working and it is.

What do you dislike?

You have to configure the hours and conditions it does not come by default, the only thing that comes by default is that it stops the backup if the battery is low.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Configure rules so it only backs up when you are not using the PC

Backing up my computer in case I ever lost it.

Toby B.

"Con code 42 nuestros datos están seguros"

What do you like best?

Code 42 fue uno de los lanzamientos de software más livianos que mi equipo ha tenido en un tiempo. Me encanta el hecho de que fue extremadamente fácil de implementar y extremadamente fácil de recuperar / restaurar datos cuando sea necesario ya sea que la computadora portátil esté en nuestra oficina corporativa o en el otro lado del país.

What do you dislike?

El único inconveniente que he visto hasta ahora es cuando el punto final se presenta con grandes cantidades de datos en constante cambio; sin embargo, el equipo del Código 42 ha trabajado muy bien con nosotros en la configuración de ajustes para garantizar que las copias de seguridad sean consistentes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Lo reomiendo por su precio económico, es fácil de usar y funciona de forma discreta

Nos permite tener una mejor visibilidad sobre qué y con qué frecuencia se estaba respaldando nuestro equipo.

Ken B.

"Couple years later and still our #1 backup choice"

What do you like best?

From the beginning the assistance with the implementation and rollout was great. Our professional services were with us until we were ready to transition. We took it really slow out of caution and previous experiences with other vendors, but the rollout was probably on of the best and smoothest projects to date for us. Any issues and the code42 team has been there to assist us as best they can.

What do you dislike?

There were some design features that we needed to adjust for. Creating custom packages, etc. However with each upgrade the product is just evolving and becoming more seamless.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider going full cloud. We went hybrid. Believe the improvements and features implemented now would have made us go cloud in the first place.

Our main concern for implementing was for protecting our data for legal compliance. It has done that and so much more. We have been able to lock down user backups for compliance, however keep it flexible enough to the point we can address any issues and concerns.

Michael K.

"CrashPlan PROe"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan has been very secure and reliable for most of our users. It's automated backup system is second to none and the administrative console is great for me to help my end users. LDAP integration makes it easier for our end users to use the software on the occassions they need it without having to remember another password.

What do you dislike?

The initial automated rollout didn't go so well. Some users did not have the service automatically activated for them and this has caused some data loss as a result. I would also like to see an update to their mobile apps so that those devices can actually be backed up as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This should be your first consideration. I have not seen another product quite like this.

CrashPlan has been great at ensuring our users have a backup of the information stored on their local machines. We did not have a solution for this in the past. Additionally, we no longer need to worry about utilizing synchronization services so users can access their data off of our network; just save to the desktop and away they go. This has also helped in storage costs in the server farm. Lastly, CrashPlan is handling our data retention for when employees leave.

Jeremy J.

"Excellent Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan is a user friendly application that allows encrypted backup of local files without a performance hit to your computer. It provides IT professionals an easy way to migrate data from one machine to another.

What do you dislike?

The CrashPlan ProE management interface could be more user firendly, but Code 42 is working to update the interface. Due to the nature of the real-time file backup, CrashPlan can struggle with large amounts of data (500GB+).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

One big selling point to our user base was that the data is encrypted before it even leaves your computer. You and/or your organization hold the encryption keys. Code42 does not know what you are storing nor can they decrypt it.

We now have a uniform solution for faculty and staff members to backup data. In the past it was up to the individual to backup their data. Now we have assurance that the data is protected and archived. CrashPlan also allows us to easily migrate data from one machine to another.

Adam S.

"CrashPlan is King"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan makes endpoint backup a walk in the park. It does everything it claims to do, and it does it quickly, quietly and seamlessly. The administrative console is easy to use and navigate. After the environment is up and running, maintenance and administration is minimal.

What do you dislike?

Reporting could use some enhancement, though there are additional capabilities coming in the latest release which we should be upgrading to in the near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pull the trigger and then sleep easy knowing your users' data is safe and secure.

Traditionally we used network shares to store and backup data, but an increasingly mobile workforce makes that a poor process if the end user is rarely in the office to refresh changes. CrashPlan allows us to reliably secure our end users' data at any time, no matter where they are. Now we are using the Security Tools suite to help gain insight into the mobility of our company data. We are hoping to make use of the newly announced Forensic File Search in the near future.

Ankur P.

"Cost effective and functional cloud backup solution."

What do you like best?

Ease of use, security features, unlimited storage and versioning, and cost. At $10/mo/device for unlimited storage with the ability to retrieve previous versions of any given file has been a life-saver.

What do you dislike?

Large data sets can take a long time to back-up and restore; I would like to see faster transfer speeds to/from their servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product works very well, however be sure to take into account back-up and restore times for very large data sets. We use this in conjunction with nightly/weekly back-ups that are taken offsite every week. Code42 fills in the gaps, especially on our file server.

We use Code42 to supplement our existing local back-up solution, and it has worked quite well in that regard. Versioning has saved us on multiple occasions as has the always-running back-ups in situations where our weekly or nightly solutions weren't up-to-date.

A E.

"operating system support lacking"

What do you like best?

software works well. I originally used their personal edition until I was "forced" to switch to the business edition.

What do you dislike?

after being forced to switch to their business version and signed up for 3 years. I opened up a support ticket and they told me my Debian operating system (latest version) is not supported, they only support RedHat 7.1,7.2,7.3 and Ubuntu. Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian I see no reason why it's not supported. Anyways, point being that if you are running a business it's highly likely you are NOT running their "supported" operating systems and will be stuck in the situation where your backups don't work..., potentially losing all your data due to "unsupported. For this reason I would not recommend this software to any colleagues.

When I transitioned from personal to business, code42 specifically migrated my computers, they knew the operating systems and could have at that time told me my computer was unsupported. I would have not transitioned and looked for an alternative.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

would not recommend

backups

Frank C. P.

"Now much stronger with Forensic "

What do you like best?

Easy to install on the server and on the clients. Excellent documentation of Server Install guidelines for all environments.

Exellent self Service features for the clients.

When we have questions we find more than 80% of the answers on the well updated service websites at code42.com.

We use the Smartphone Apps very frequent to restore single files.

Now that the Ransomware discussion is growing rapidly we feel comfortable as we can recover quickly due to the File HIstory we have on the storage that allows us to go back in history before the attack.

What do you dislike?

The initial backup takes quite some time as it deduplicates and only uses a fraction of the bandwidth. I would also like to see more integration of OneDrive, Box or DropBox as destinations of backup. Pricing structure has changed several times in the last year for business users, we would like to see a ProE-Light version as pure license model. Waiting for an update of the iPhone / iPad device app. Hope to see some better functions on the smartphone side.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start tests with apr. 5-10 users. Then roll-out in waves and watch the storage size and also adopt your policy rules. FIrst test new upgrades/updates on test server and with test users. This has gotten better with the latest releases but during 4.x we were better off testing first.

Backup of all notebooks/laptops of our company. Exchange of data quickly via the Smartphone Apps. Be prepared for a Ransomware attack and be able to mitigate such a loss of data. Migrate between Windows and MAC machines.

Tom D.

"Code42, A little Pricey but Excellent Software"

What do you like best?

The management console for CrashPlan is well designed and easy to use. Easy to see the backup status of all your client devices, in addition to a nice built in reporting tool. Deployment with a 3rd party management tool was a snap!

What do you dislike?

We've been a long time customer but it is a bit on the pricey side, could make it difficult to become a customer in the edu space. We run all services on prem, their cloud services are astronomical for cost.

CrashPlan has always been there when we needed it for file restores. As long as we are on top of making sure that our devices are backing up properly, we know we can get our data when we need it.

Christopher L.

"Excellent Enterprise Backup solution "

What do you like best?

The product has a clean, slick, easy to use console. Managing multiple groups with varying needs is simple and easy. The addition of the new Forensic File search has added amazing security features, adding more value to this product

What do you dislike?

I wish the frequency of version update schedule was a little slower, but it's hard to dislike when they pack more features with each one.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Roll this out to a small group of users. Perform a few restores, play with the Forensic File search. It won't take long to see the value.

This solves our lack of institution wide backup and disaster recovery. It also helps with our Data Loss Prevention initiative. First we backup our endpoints, then we encrypt them. Having a disaster recovery measure is crucial for our environment.

Chad T.

"Secure and easy backup software"

What do you like best?

It's really secure backup software. To have a backup I need to be in my company campus or be connected to the VPN. For backups, my data goes to company servers, that way there is no way my data could be stolen while doing backups.

What do you dislike?

It can dry your battery while you are on the road unless you set a high threshold to stops backups.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As a user, just install it and it just works, there is nothing you need to do

Backing up my MacBook so far. If my hardware ever fails I could easily restore all my data.

Yin C.

"Great data backup and restoration "

What do you like best?

It backups all your important data giving you the security that none of your projects and important files are going to be lost in case your PC has a problem and switching to a new PC is really easy.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes this software makes a backup of unnecessary files like the temp folders of firefox, chrome, etc and wasting bandwidth in the process

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can limit the rate of uploading while working on your pc to avoid annoyances.

Backing up my PC and when I needed to switch computers downloading a backup in the new device.

Mikael B.

"Reliable enterprise backup with lots of possibilities"

What do you like best?

- I like the fact that you have lots of choice regarding backup destinations, both multiple on-site and Code42 cloud-destinations.

- Online documentation is good.

- Customer support is good and answers quickly.

- Our, admittedly small, setup has been pretty much set-and-forget. Only administrative work has been upgrading the Code42 software on our servers and that's been uneventful.

What do you dislike?

We haven't had many issues, really. Just a couple that spring to mind:

- The Windows desktop tray icon and associated pop-up has longstanding issues with making the pop-up window too small so that the settings icon cannot be clicked. Minor issue, of course. We're not on the absolute latest version, so this might be fixed when we get around to upgrading.

- We also have an issue where one client's backup-set is re-scanned any time the computer is rebooted. I believe this started after a major-version update of the Code42 environment. Since the backup-set is pretty large (~150 GB) this computer needs hours of work to perform this scan after every reboot.

Just keeping clients and some servers automatically backed-up in our small business. Security and reliability is important, so being able to keep encrypted backups at multiple destinations is great.

"Reliable"

What do you like best?

It runs silently in the background and constantly does differential backups, without noticeably degrading performance. The storage for our Enterprise Cloud license is unlimited, so we can back up as much as we want, and never worry about having to choose what to delete. Recovery is dirt simple via the point-and-click GUI.

What do you dislike?

Customizing the installers can be a bit cumbersome, but that has improved over the last year or so. On Linux (Mint Cinnamon 18.3), sometimes, the background process causes gnome-keyring to hang during shutdown/reboot, requiring a somewhat sluggish force-quit. Both of these concerns are pretty minor, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Their Enterprise customer service is quite good. If you don't understand something, talk to them, and they'll help you figure it out.

The biggest benefit we've realized is not having to worry about users storing things on their computers, instead of in the cloud (like they're supposed to). This lets us be confident that, no matter what happens with personnel changes or hardware issues, no data will be lost.

David L.

"Simple and easy"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan gives me peace of mind whenever drive failures inevitably happen. Not only does CrashPlan scale extremely well, but it allows for intricate customization when necessary. As an administrator for CrashPlan, their support is top notch and they make sure the problem is always resolved.

What do you dislike?

There could be some quality improvements, e.g. having the storepoints reflect actual data usage as opposed to a snapshot of current usage. Removing deactivated device entries from the database as well since it seems to affect reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a lightweight client that scales in a large corporate environment, CrashPlan provides that solution.

We use CrashPlan mostly as a disaster recovery application. It has helped many users who have experienced drive failures get up and running within hours. We've had a couple instances of ransomware attacks that were easily mitigated as a result of having CrashPlan as well. It also has a very capable legal hold application that we sometimes use to verify IP protection.

Karl S.

"Reasonably priced, easy to use, helpful support"

What do you like best?

Easy to deploy the Enterprise version to my desktop clients-- Crashplan encrypts and backs up data to Crashplan's cloud for a large number of remote clients, and provides me a central console to monitor status. At least under current pricing, Crashplan does not charge by the GB of storage, so I don't have to be monitoring or policing what data my clients might happen to store.

What do you dislike?

Client reporting includes automated email notifications which are great, but communication to clients often appears to indicate that backups are never completed. This seems to unnecessarily alarm users that their data is not safe. The quality of this communication could be improved. Recent update from one version to another for Crashplan cloud customers is an automated process, and was very painful in the cases that the update failed. Had to spend too much time fixing those clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the trial use and experiment with it. Calculate cost per user including storage costs to compare

Backing up dispersed client base with many GB of remote data, as well as data on file servers pretty much on autopilot, with occasional monitoring. I love being able to download simple file restores, push a restore to a client machine, or do complete restores to a client when a hard drive or system fails.

Jeffrey T.

"Great product and support"

What do you like best?

The product is extremely easy to use and administer. We've been using it for over 3 years to insure that all of our users are backed up regularly and completely. The management interface gives you a great overview of where problematic backups are, and a great view of your current usage. The fact that individual users can restore their own files, from wherever they are saves us a lot of administrative time.

What do you dislike?

They have a lot of products with a lot of different versions on a number of platforms. Sometimes its difficult to find the right documentation on their website. However, they have a chat feature on the web that you can use to get the right support. Their support is very good.

I also wish their cloud backup was more affordable. We provide our own backup storage, using the crashplan proe server software, and basically the same client software. The end-users don't know the difference..

Individual backup. We use this primarily for backups of staff laptops and desktops. Our staff travels constantly around the world, so we need a reliable method of insuring backups are performed wherever they are. We (and the staff member) receive regular notifications when backups haven't been completed keeping us up to date on who is in danger of not having a current backup.

Michael M.

"Extremely reliable and robust backup environment for our mixed OS organization"

What do you like best?

A very reliable solution backed with great support - both from implementation assistance and post-installation support.I had used the consumer client version of this product and when we decided to implement the enterprise version - we saw realized the same performance and peace of mind for our organization.

What do you dislike?

We find the archive/delete user/license process doesn't match our internal workflow. When a staff members leaves our organization we need to delete them completely from the code42 environment to free up a user license. There should be a method to deactivate a user, and leave their content in an archive. In some instances, these users may rejoin our organization and we would then like to reactivate them at a later date.

Allowed us to retire and older less capable backup solution that we were using for D/D/tape. We now have two storage servers - one on premise and the other offsite in our second data centre and are no longer using tape. Our help desk staff was spending almost a full day weekly managing our previous backup software that was crashing constantly - they now spend a couple minutes a day with Code42

Dean D.

"Great product with options that fit your infrastructure!"

What do you like best?

I've used Code42's Crashplan for about 4 years now and it has simplified our backup administration for our IT staff. We are running a hybrid deployment (no more tape robots)! It has also improved our user's experience with integration with our company's Active Directory and delegation of control to remote administrators who can help recover data for their users. It's simple to use and settings are maintained and controlled centrally via the web.

What do you dislike?

The cost is a bit prohibitive if you have a very large organization (we have over 10,000 employees) and want to fully utilize all the features such as storing data in the cloud. Our sister company has used Crashplan but tried to implement it with storing the data locally. They have just begun to utilize our hybrid implementation to store their data in the cloud.

Business continuity and compliance reasons are a few of the problems we are solving with this solution. Our organization still gets hit with ransomware a few times a year and utilizing Crashplan can help save our company's data.

Dustin L.

"Set it and Forget it... until you need it."

What do you like best?

I like how unobtrusive, yet reliable CrashPlan is. Also, with incremental backups, it can be very handy not just for fixing issues of data loss but also user screw-ups. Also, built in on-site and off-site backups make this a one-stop shopping for our backup needs.

What do you dislike?

We did have to enable scheduling of backups on our server because even at CPU usage lowered to 20%, the bandwidth involved sometimes affected our servers performance. It would be nice to be able to further tweak this kind of stuff like limiting the amount of bandwidth CrashPlan is allowed to use.

The license renewal process is a bit clumsy in the PROe version. The administration console prompts you to renew but when you follow that path you do not actually renew everything (cloud storage) and it also does not always apply correctly. While support helped us right away, even that solution was a bit clumsy as we lost a few days in our license. They said we will straighten it out next renewal but of course now I have to remember that for a full year to ensure it happens.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is by far the best backup solution I have come across.

Backing up data in multiple locations and a bit of versioning in a sense with incremental backups, mainly with documents and graphical files.

Kurt S.

"Code42 is a life saver"

What do you like best?

The things I like best about Code42 are the low price, high speed backups, secure encryption, unlimited retention, easy to use, set it and forget it. The file version is exceptional. You can store and access different version of your files. The continuous backup works really well.

What do you dislike?

If you have a lot of files you may have to call tech support to change the memory allocation or the app could crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Call me and I'll hook you up, I'm a Code42 reseller as well as a user.

One client was hit with a ransomware attack, we were able to restore 87GB of data from Code42 in 18 hours. Awesome ! The most important thing is making sure you have a good backup, this is easy with Code42.

Andrew O.

"They really earn their titles!"

What do you like best?

The support is amazing! The title customer champion is well deserved with them. I know that if I have a problem that Code 42 and the amazing people that run it are there to help in every possible way. I have to deal with a lot of support from many different companies and Code 42 has always been a call that I don't cringe at having to make as they make the difference from just support and what a customer support champion is.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Everything I have ever done with Code 42 has been a breeze!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The server software can be a little odd to get the hang of at first but once you do it all kind of just clicks!

Well crypto viruses for one, HIPAA compliance backup and always having piece of mind knowing everything is safe and secure!

"More expensive now but good"

What do you like best?

The backup works well, the native app seems better than it used to be (back when I had it for home users).

What do you dislike?

I was using Crash Plan as a home user and liked it a lot, was very disappointed when they decided to drop the home business. This doubled their prices for the same number of devices. At least they had a promotion to stay on as a small business customer for 75% off for 1 year, which I am doing. If they don't change their prices by then I will switch to a different service, because I really don't need the additional features offered to small businesses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would evaluate your needs carefully to make sure Crash Plan is right for you.

It's piece of mind more than anything. I don't think I've ever had to recover a file with Crash Plan. Maybe once or twice in a couple years. But I feel a lot better knowing that if my computer was stolen or the hard drive randomly crashed, I'd be able to recover.

Steve P.

"Always a pleasure dealing with Code42"

What do you like best?

In my line, I deal with a LOT of vendors, both hardware and software. CODE42 is hands down one of my favorite companies to deal with, no matter what the issue. If it's a technical one, the support is fast to reply, knowledgeable, provide frequent updates, and always makes time for me while never making me feel rushed.

On the billing/licensing side, not only to I get regular notifications on when my licenses are due to expire, but I can easily reach out for assistance and there have been times when obtaining some temporary keys have gone through quick and painlessly.

What do you dislike?

Currently I have no issue with the product or the service, so there is nothing I can think of here.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a tool that protects the data of your customers or yourself, with simple implementation and excellent service, you will want to take a hard look at Code42.

We use the software for backing up data. It has come in quite handy not just restoring the customer's data to their laptop, but restoring a document to my own laptop and forwarding to a customer who is otherwise unable to access their laptop.

AI

"Good value, but do not use it as your first-line backup solution"

What do you like best?

Pricing is really good. Application is pretty friendly and fully-featured. Also pretty nice that you can backup to other destinations that have the app installed for free, in addition to being able to backup to CrashPlan (paid). The ability to keep unlimited file versioning is very nice, and has come in handy with both personal use as well as with customers.

What do you dislike?

The app is not the most stable thing in the world. It is deployed on several servers and we have issues with at least one a week, usually either restarting the service or rebooting the server fixes things. Also this is file-level backups, not image-level, so you still need a plan for where you would be putting this data if your server dies. Also in my experience restore speeds are very slow compared to WAN speed. Also there does not seem to be a way to back up network drives using the app, only local drives. This is an issue with servers that use a NFS drive for storage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider this as a last-line backup solution. Also consider for traveling users who are not able to access file server shares

We have deployed this for server backups which has been good except for the lack of app stability. We have also deployed this for end-user computers, and this has been very solid and trouble-free. It has saved the customer's data several times.

Carolina S.

"Great MacOSX backup solution "

What do you like best?

You can set backup times, CPU restriction, bandwidth limit, and some other customization settings, It works as intended so nothing more to ask for a backup solution.

What do you dislike?

Default settings are not the most user-friendly but backup friendly, you could be working and a backup being executed at the same time unless you change your settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Change the defaults so it does not backup while you work.

Backs up my laptop in case it happens something hardware related or it's stolen.

Jackie M.

"CrashPlan = Peace of mind"

What do you like best?

The application is a breeze to setup. I had an old Windows 2003 server that had problems with syncing large amounts of data, but Customer Service identified the issue and I found a work-around. That server has since been retired.

What do you dislike?

Recovering a file wasn't as straight forward as I expected, but once you did it one time, you'll never have a problem with it again.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With all of the cryptoware and other security attacks happening, it's critical to have your data backed up in multiple ways, both on and off-site. Code42 makes off-site backup a breeze.

I'm a lot less paranoid about our tape backups now. Knowing that I can restore a file at anytime from anywhere, without having to swap tapes or wait for a backup to finish is priceless.

AD
Administrator in Defense & Space

"Set it and forget it"

What do you like best?

The server end implementation of Crashplan Enterprise was fairly straight forward. The most impressive part of it is the ease of use for the end users. Backups are done without the end user noticing. It's so unobtrusive to the system and the user that most often times, customers are unaware that they have a backup solution in place.

What do you dislike?

Our Crashplan server was implemented almost 5 years ago. It requires very little attention. Admittedly, this meant that it wasn't in our "radar" as far as servers to keep a close eye on. Due to the default retention policy of accounts disabled, it continued to work until it ran out of disk space.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Purchase Crashplan as soon as possible.

Crashplan takes care of our end user data that are not stored in a file share. Endpoint backups are as important as everything else in the Data Center.

"Code 42 is the failsafe backup for end users laptop data"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to see all the past data that is or was on an end users laptop. This allows us to see if they deleted or lost sensitive information that could be restored

What do you dislike?

The initial setup can be a little difficult if done on the end users machine. You need to know the port that the program is connecting over otherwise it never connects. The setup is the worse part. once it is setup though it is fairly easy to work with

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it truly is a great failsafe of protect the en

Employees losing or purposely deleting information off their laptop in the event of leaving and trying to cover up information they might have emailed out. It has also helped with older PSTs if they were stored on their PC.

Aaron G.

"Good backup and restore software"

What do you like best?

Restoring from a backup is easy and instead of losing all the data on your computer you only lose the one that is not backed up yet.

What do you dislike?

It can dry your battery if you don't change the default settings

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set the battery settings to 50% so it does not interfere with your usage when the battery is getting low.

Backing up our computers and restoring the data to a new computer when a laptop gets damaged.

Cristina C.

"I know I'm protected if my machine fails"

What do you like best?

I have not needed to use the software yet, I know that backups are made daily but not I'm blessed that I still have my first machine, however, some of my friends are not as fortunate as I am, so I know that in case a spilled coffee or theft happens my data is secure.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I can't find a downside I have my machine plugged in almost all day so no battery impact for me and that's the only thing that my friends dislike

Backup, backup, backup, you can never be too safe. The price of not having it is 0... until you need it and whatever the price is... Is always too expensive.

Rachel R.

"Backs up computer files in the background without having to lift a finger"

What do you like best?

It runs automatically in the background. I set it up once and now I just get (either weekly or monthly) updates about my backups. It is super easy to use and has a simple interface. If my computer crashes or breaks, I can get my files on a new machine. It gives me a worry-free feeling.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't seem to handle a lot of data super well. It could use performance improvements.

Backing up my files on my work computer. This was something I was required to do as an employee of oracles as a backup plan.

Seth G.

"Crash Plan has served me well since 2011"

What do you like best?

I can set it and forget it. I install the app on my Mac and pay for the service there. But I have 2 other computers using the free "Friend" backup. I have those backing up to an external HD stored on my Mac with the paid plan. It has never failed me.

What do you dislike?

There were some issues with the Linux version of the app. Sometimes it won't backup to a "friend" unless I have the app open on the Mac and the Linux machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it. I have had zero issues. I have survived several more hardware failures since becoming a Crash Plan customer 6 years ago.

Several years ago I lost everything stored on my computer. Years of design files. Years of sermons I had written. Years of family photos. I was really cleaned out by hard drive failure. But now, I will never lose my work again!

UT
User in Telecommunications

"Avoid Code 42 Cloud Backup"

What do you like best?

Code 42 has some wonderful software. Feature-rich and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Code 42's customer service picks and chooses which customers it supports after the fact. Hundreds of residential customers were forced to switch accounts to commercial accounts (at double the cost for the same features) and no assistance was provided to those choosing not to upgrade. Customers who were billed right before the announcement did not have an option to terminate their contract early, but had to guess the migration time to a new provider and time their sign-up accordingly. Larger data sets or slower connections had no choice but to pay for two cloud services if their backup would exceed one month to transfer as mine did. Code 42 has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau and should be avoided for mission critical cloud backup scenarios.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider the alternatives. Look for companies with better consumer and B2B ratings.

I was using Code42's residential service for cloud backup of my personal photos archive. (~4TB).

Matthias K.

"A set up-once-and-forget backup solution"

What do you like best?

A perfect example of a set up-once-and-forget solution. Once backup criteria are centrally set up, all the end-users have to do is to log in with their account and that's it.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if CrashPlan would offer faster restore and backup speed. Even with a 300/100Mbit connection, sometimes only 25Mbit are utilized no matter from which geographical data centre location data is backuped/restored to/from.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Extensively test the backup criteria (directories to be backed up as well as file/folder exclusions).

Migrations for end-users have become a lot easier and faster compared to our previous approaches. Furthermore end-users no longer rely on IT to quickly restore previous versions of a file but have the ability to do this on their own, which reduces the overall workload for our IT department and the time required for users to get access to their restored files.

Montuet K.

"Can't live without this backup software"

What do you like best?

I'm not the most careful person ever and I'm kind of clumsy so when I finally spilled the coffee over my MacBook I started to panic, hardware is easy to replace, especially if it's insured but I was dreading the moment of turning the new machine to see how much work I needed to redo. Answer almost 0, thanks to Code42 all my documents were exactly as before except for the word document I was working.

What do you dislike?

It only syncs when connected to the corporative VPN or inside of one of our office campus.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't forget to sync, it could be a lifesaver

Backup and restore a backup, simple and useful as it is.

Clifford G.

"A cloud based backup that really works, Central dashboard for quick checks, and admin reports."

What do you like best?

Set and forget it. Ability to set what the end user can change. Great dashboard functions.

Easy user setup. Provided templates for emailing to end users.

When I did have a question there was always live chat available to get the question answered.

What do you dislike?

Have to setup child organizations to group users with similar file restrictions. Since we are a Classic coustomer security center is an additional cost per user.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the demo. Use the local version for home backup.

Many remote users that had no way for a central hosted backup. Hit and miss on who backed up when.

With CrashPlan I can check which users are backing up and how often, the status of each backup etc. from one dashboard application.

Adrienne d.

"Interface is opaque"

What do you like best?

The price is good, and it works. There is a lot of flexibility in what you back-up so you can tailor it. Once we got it set up we haven't had to give it much thought at all- it works and requires no intervention. I get quick summary e-mails so I know what has been backed up and if there is an error.

What do you dislike?

The interface is difficult for a casual user. We have VERY slow internet access (yay for rural living?), so we need to be picky about what gets backed up and how often. It took a while to figure out, and required more than one chat with customer service.

We needed off-site storage for back-ups and a way to for the backups to happen automatically without slowing down any computers.

Shion S.

"An essential part of a backup regime"

What do you like best?

Backups are a must for almost everyone. However, running full backups can quickly consume large amounts of space and time-consuming. Crashplan is an excellent "set it, forget it" companion backup application for both Apple/Windows to protect your data and media files. It runs in the background (its actual resource usage can be fine tuned) and backups incremental changes to multiple destinations including the cloud (paid component), an external drive or even another computer. It uses delta versioning which means if part of a very large file is changed; only that portion is backed up versus backing up the entire file each time. It also periodically verifies the integrity of the backup to ensure they are properly backed up.

What do you dislike?

In the event of an OS (system) failure, the OS and apps must be first reinstalled to restore files. Therefore, Crashplan is not substitute for full bootable/image/clone backups. However, the frequency of full image backups can be reduced by using Crashplan to create "snapshots" of files that change frequently.

Crashplan adds another layer of protection by allowing backups to be stored in different physical locations whether it be through the iCloud or another computer over the internet. This helps protect files from acts of God such as fire that can wipe out both the original and backup disks if they are stored in the same room/building.

Peter F.

"The feeling to be safe"

What do you like best?

When it comes to data protection it is vital to be able to fully trust your backup solution. As a Pro-Photographer my images are my most valuable assets. Having several different hard drives, a SMART-RAID, on- and off-site servers and a cloud based storage space "all under one roof" makes life much more relaxed. All new data or modified data are automatically backed up to various locations. This gives the maximum security possible. Good to know, that in the worst case (some data getting lost locally), there are back within minutes.

What do you dislike?

The only little dislike for European customers is the fact that the initial backup is not possible by sending a hard drive to crash plan . This works like a charm in the US and I hope for some offer like this also in Europe.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read other reviews on the web and try out one of there plans. Backup locally on an external hard drive e.g. is even free.

All business data are kept safe and backed at all times. The Software runs "invisible" in the background. This is how it should be.

Josh Y.

"Great backup software"

What do you like best?

Set it and forget it. This is my backup solution for our Central Office. I have all computers set up to do both cloud and local backups. The local backups allow me to quickly restore a user's data while the cloud backups give me peace of mind that I have a copy of this critical data off-site.

What do you dislike?

I would prefer the price to be a little lower, though it is in line with, and lower than some, other backup solutions. Add in the fact that you can do a hybrid local/cloud backup solution and it makes sense to spend the money on this enterprise backup solution.

Backups. Backups. Backups. I wanted a local and off-site backup solution and Code42 delivers!

Joshua M.

"CarshPlan - I've used it for a complete restore twice!"

What do you like best?

Two separate times I've had hard drive crashes that normally would have had me scrambling to find backup drives and hoping that the backups were recent. But with CrashPlan I simply got my new drive up-and-running, reinstalled CrashPlan, and then did a complete restore to retrieve all of my data. No lost files! I've also used it to retrieve previous versions of files after I've made changes I wanted to revert.

I've also switched laptops a couple of times since using CrashPlan, and it's easy to adopt the new machine and continue backup seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

The Android app used to work, but no longer does (at least as of approximately a year ago). Maybe they've fixed it since, but I found it almost useless and removed it from my Android phone

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Considering the benefit and peace of mind I have for all my data (and the fact that I've used it!), it's well worth the very minor investment.

Complete backup and restore, partial restore, restore of previous versions of files.

Patrick H.

"Best $60 I spend every year"

What do you like best?

It's fast, easy and just works. Very little hiccups. The support team is one of the best I've ever dealt with. They are super nice and professional. They don't have 24 hour support but have an answered service that will take your info and they reach out to you right away in the morning. I also love that if I do have to uninstall and reinstall it doesn't ruin the backup. It simply reconciles the files you have on your machine. There is very little I would change. Also, the fact that you can create your own cloud with their software and not have to use their pay service at all says a lot to me. They are literally giving you the software to do it yourself - or you can just pay them to do it better.

What do you dislike?

Not much really. I guess if I had to pick something is that from time to time I have to uninstall and reinstall it because upgrades can go a little wonky with Windows updates. This is really more a function of Windows than CrashPlan but it is something you have to deal with.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They offer a free trial but you'll probably sign up before the trial ends. They offered me an extended trial because I was leaving Carbonite for them.

Off site backup is encrypted and I can access it from anywhere. Everything gets backed up right away so we mitigate risk quickly

Fadwa A.

"Non annoying backup and restore solution "

What do you like best?

Easily configurable, It's really easy to setup backup conditions so it only occurs when you are not using the pc or you are not using it in an intensive manner.

What do you dislike?

I'm happy with the backup solution, so I like everything

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It just works as intended without annoying you, great solution

Backing up my PC in case a hardware failure, stolen or lost situation ever happens to us

Learning about Code42?

* We monitor all Code42 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.