Although there are many updates to Angular like angular 2,4,5,6 etc. Angular JS had its sweet spot among the top when it was released.
There are many things I liked in Angular Js like
1. Built in support for 2 way binding
2. Watching changes in a specific scope object and based on the event perform actions.
3. Each section can have its own controller and independently controlled.
4. Very lightweight and built in support for multiple languages, culture.
5. Easy to integrate in existing applications.
It was perfect in everyway. But when typescript evolved. It lacked few points.
1. Lack of object oriented programming support.
2. No type safe mechanism.
3. Not easy to maintain compared to angular 2+ applications.
As angular is regularly updated and you should move on to much simpler and object oriented programming platform Angular 2+.
It solved the hardships to create a Single page application. It made the application run must faster and smoothly as there no more requests to server for getting pages.