Zerto Reviews & Product Details

Zerto Overview

What is Zerto?

Zerto helps customers accelerate IT transformation by eliminating the risk and complexity of modernization and cloud adoption. By replacing multiple legacy solutions with a single IT Resilience Platform, Zerto is changing the way disaster recovery, backup and cloud are managed. At enterprise scale, Zerto’s software platform delivers continuous availability for an always-on customer experience while simplifying workload mobility to protect, recover and move applications freely across hybrid and multi-clouds. Zerto is trusted by over 6,000 customers globally and is powering resiliency offerings for Microsoft Azure, IBM Cloud, AWS, SunGard AS and more than 350 cloud services providers. Learn more at www.zerto.com

Zerto Details
Discussions
Zerto Community

Zerto Virtual Replication (ZVR) is a replication and recovery solution that makes disaster recovery simple and scalable from private, hybrid and to public clouds, maintain IT resilience as infrastructure evolves with hypervisor-based replication of VM block-level changes, from any storage to any storage, between VMware vSphere versions and cross-hypervisor for on premise datacenters or the utilize the cloud for Disaster Recovery as a Service.

Zerto
2009
Boston, MA
@Zerto

Zerto Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Zerto community
Have you used Zerto before?

Zerto Reviews

Showing 57 Zerto reviews
Already have Zerto?
Manager, Infrastructure
What do you like best?

We leverage Zerto for Disaster Recovery failover between our primary data center and our secondary data center. We put all of our critical, Tier 1 applications into Zerto replication groups so we can fail them over in case of an emergency. We have also used Zerto for data center consolidations and migrations since it is a great tool to be used for that type of project as well. We like the flexibility that Zerto provides us and its overall ease of use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The price-point for Zerto could be a little more affordable. The only other quibble I have with the product is that it is hard to dial-in the email alerting at a granular level - we often get too many email alerts and that can be annoying. Other than that I have no other issues with Zerto. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is good to have done a thorough Business Impact Analysis to know what your business-critical applications are; they complete technology stacks for these applications and what the RPO & RTO timeframes are for these applications. Once you have that information, you can know how much Zerto licensing you will need to purchase to protect your environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using Zerto to provide our company Disaster Recovery services for all of our Tier 1 applications. We replicated all of the servers involved with the applications from our primary data center to our secondary data center via replication groups. It is easy to test out DR failovers with Zerto as well - so this frees up our Administrators time to focus on other issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Zerto is very easy to get setup and replicating the VM's between the sites. We have used it successfully for our Datacenter Migration Project where we have Migrated 800+ server from VMware and Hyper-V Platforms to our new datacenter on the VMware Platform. It is highly customizable so you can change IP addresses, domains, etc via scripts when you bring servers up in the new site. we have not had any major issues with the software either during the Migration process Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The product is rather expensive, but is comparable to other enterprise-class disaster recovery and data protection solutions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With the help of Zerto, we are able to migrate the VM Workloads from one Data center to another Datacenter easily with very minimal downtime and less business impact and we are able to comply our deadlines. I really liked the feature of reverse protection of VM's while doing the failover and we can easily rollback to my primary site in case of any issues. This feature is really awesome Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Regional Director of IT
What do you like best?

I like the analytics portal because it gives me an overview of my environment. I enjoy that I have a single pane of glass for a health check of my environment. The other thing that I did like best was the mobile app. I currently have the app on my iPhone and check it daily. I can do this from anywhere by using my myzerto portal credentials and not having to start a VPN connection to check the status of our environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I dislike is that the myzerto portal, the username or email is case sensitive. That took some time to figure out with support. The other thing that I would love to see is application aware backups and recovery. With Zerto 7 the ability to have backups and disaster recovery was amazing. But there is still a need for application based backup solution for certain applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask for a demo. See all it can do. Implementation was quick and painless. The main recommendation I would have based on my experience would be to set WAN traffic throttling to half to ensure your network backbone is not hammered too severely . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Before Zerto we had zero plan of business continuity. The implantation of Zerto has provided our organization the ability be in compliance with having a disaster recovery solution in place. Now we are able to publish our RPOs to our operations team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Consultant
What do you like best?

1. Zerto provides an easy way to set up disaster recovery for multiple virtual machines.

2. We are using Zerto email alerts to proactively monitor and manage the zerto replication that helps us to resolve the replication related issue before they actually take place.

3. Upgrading ZVM and Z-VRAs from one version to another is quite easy.

4. Most importantly, Zerto support is very humble and helpful, really have a very good experience all the time talking to them on calls. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. Zerto doesn't provide much flexibility in order to automatically sustain the replications in optimal state..If VPG goes down if any of it's recovery host is in maintenance mode or not responding. It should have in such a way that it can provide flexibility to automatically point the recovery to other hosts in case of such issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a good tool for DR purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

fulfilling the customer requirements to sustain the environment availability for DR purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal Technical Architect
What do you like best?

In 30+ years in IT the number of products that I - or any of us - come across that work as advertised out of the box are extremely limited. Zerto is the exception. There is real genius in the application architecture, the execution, even the documentation. The agentless nature of hypervisor-based replication means real scalability is possible. The use of a journal that allows point-in-time recovery, not just for DR but for operational recovery at the file, volume, VM or entire application means that your DR copy is also your offsite backup copy, and the ability to migrate that to lower cost storage after a user-defined time means you can effectively replace your entire backup infrastructure with something that can recover not from last night or last week, but seconds ago is unequalled. And absolutely nop snapshots or proxies or other BS. Zerto is for real Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The hardest part of Zerto is getting people 1) to believe that it can do easily what other backup and DR solutions do with great difficulty 2) to understand how it works.

Sure it's software, and it has bugs, and issues, and missing features, but the core Zerto replication is as solid and reliable as any software I've ever used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Zerto may seem initially expensive, but it reality isn't. The 'hidden costs' of integration, support, and staffing are pretty much nonexistent, and when you find yourself replacing other single-purpose tools with your existing Zerto licenses at no extra cost, you will realize that it is actually very inexpensive to license and to operate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zerto is not a tool, not a one-trick pony. Zerto is a platform and can be used with extreme effectiveness in many ways:

1) Disaster Recovery - it defines the state of the art.

2) Operational Recovery - 15 minutes to recover a database with 15 seconds data loss. Believe it.

3) Application Migration - If you think about it DR is application migration, just under duress.

4) Application Cloning - Need a new test instance for a few hours/days. No problem.

5) Public Cloud - I know of no other product that enables you to go from VMware to native Azure, to AWS, to IBM Cloud and between the various hypervisors.

6) Pesky vendors of one-trick products. Most of us don't need more tools, we need better tools. Ask a vendor if they can meet the basic Zerto recovery capabilities while replacing your entire backup infrastructure - or vice versa - on prem or in the public cloud. Usually they don't bother you again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

I love the replication feature that is upto the minute on RTO. The change rate is near exact to current running system, so when you replicate from production to the copy, there is no drop off in data that is replicated to the secondary site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I'm not a fan of when upgrading the operating system, so that when I spin up a newer OS, the migration of the configuration and information from the old to the new isn't seamless. I ran into some problem during my migration. Though I have to give prop to Zerto support, who was able to help me get up and running quickly, on my new system, as though it was running like before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I've worked with other similar product like Veeam. Each product have their own advantage and disadvantage. Zerto is great for its replication feature. However, I disagree with their inclusion of backup capabilities, that's not their core product, and thus it is a bit overwhelming. If you want a great virtual server replicating software, then Zerto is the way to go. If you want a true virtual server backup software, then I would say look elsewhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving the problem of having a copy of a running production on the secondary site, and being able to spin up if there is problem with the production site. We realized the benefit of real time DR and being able to test replicate to ensure data integrity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Engineer
What do you like best?

Very informative training. Certification offered, easy to use console and great service to offer as a hosted managed service. We use Zerto for a lot of our customers and requires very little interaction from the customer to setup this service for disaster recovery. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really enjoy the product. Solution for Physical VM replication would be a great as a sort of P2V solution from physical to Virtual. We still have some customers on physical servers and we're unable to offer them a suitable disaster recover solution due to them being reluctant to remove from a physical solution.

I think once Physical to Virtual server replication is brought out a lot more of our customers would be able to come onboard as physical servers are still required for some high resource intensive servers and security requirements for some customers to have local copies of data onsite. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For seamless disaster recovery there is no better product on the market than Zerto. This is a market leading product which competitors cannot match in terms of manageability and quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Offering disaster recovery is really aided by Zerto. It is also a very handy tool of moving VM's between out data Centers. When issues have occurred in our datacentres we have been able to seamlessly bring VM's online at our recovery site.

If one of our customers goes down on there on premise solution. With Zerto we're able to host them in our datacentre and bring them online. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Server Administrator
What do you like best?

Zerto is a product that is easy to install and place into production. The management interface installs on a VM and from there the agent is pushed down to each host. Once the software is installed at each location, the locations are linked to each other. The creation of Virtual Protection Groups (VPG's), is accomplished through a few mouse clicks, the replication begins. Depending on the size of the environment, a fully recoverable environment could be available in about an hour.

Zerto makes BCDR testing about as simple as it can be. With the system in "test" the VPG groups can be brought up in an isolated "bubble" that can be tested outside of the regular production network. Once completed, the entire environment is spun back down automatically and a printable report is generated on the success of the test. This can be turned in as proof of DR testing and completeness. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really do not have anything I dislike about the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Allow them to install their sizing tool ahead of time. This will ensure proper sizing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Prior to Zerto, BCDR testing was very time consuming and complex. It would take several days to setup, restore, and complete testing. Now, with a few clicks, our DR test is ready and available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Systems Engineer
What do you like best?

The versatility of Zerto, from Testing to Failover to Migration (even between 'clouds') is the real secret of Zerto's success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As with any product, there are occasionally bugs that affect the few. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Figure in all aspects of your current product (including the time for an FTE to maintain it) and it should quickly become clear that Zerto is your clear path to success now and in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Inter-cloud protection and migrations are just some of the problems we have recently tackled. Moving from an on-premise VMWare vSAN cluster to a VMWare cluster backed by a local SAN withing seconds is a recent benefit we have realized. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Head of IT
Law Practice
What do you like best?

The simplicity of Zerto is amazing given the complexity that lies below it's easy to use interface and simple install and setup process. The flexibility of the product to deliver both a DR and a replication solution to either On Prem or to a variety of Cloud destinations is amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing not to like about Zerto, I know that doesn't sound true but give it a go and say I'm wrong! There are very few software packages out there that do so much for so little effort and sit and run without constant maintenance. The only big problem I have with Zerto is the limitation to 25 VM licenses and I'd love Zerto to give a bit more granularity here. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Zerto has exceeded my expectations and is well worth investing the time in running a trial as this will be non invasive to your working environment and can easily allow you to test run a DR scenario. The guys in Support are friendly and knowledgeable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Getting real time replication between our sites over a variety of complex applications and being able to test those without massive disruption and being able to use the Mobile app to monitor this at any time. The ability to recover to a specific point in time and to control the order of VM recovery or to couple application servers in to a recovery group is a stroke of genius. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems Engineer II
What do you like best?

Zerto is a great product that just works, very little caring & feeding. We have used it for several years to be our main application to keep our most critical systems up to the second. We have loved how easy it is to setup, use, & make the little changes as needed. And they top it off with great support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only issue we have had is the very few "zombie" disks that have come up. But they provide a great tool to find them & remove them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great product that does exactly what it needs to do. It's simple to monitor, setup, and even upgrade. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Right now we are working on upgrading our ZVM (zerto virtual manager) machines to a newer OS. They have given great detailed instructions for the process. Their support group has been great to work with and has provided more than enough help to get through issues and ending with good documentation for the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Operations Officer
What do you like best?

Zerto has greatly improved fail over and disaster recovery testing within our environment.

We are able to perform fail over test and confirm recover-ability without taking down our production environment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it it does not support Zen Server. If it were to support Zen Server I would be able to completely eliminate the need for other solutions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend that an assessment be performed on the storage needs at the local and remote site to ensure that adequate space is available to replicate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zerto has greatly improved fail over and disaster recovery testing.

Disaster recovery and fail over is now well documented and reports are available on demand to satisfy auditors and compliance requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

The ability to transfer data and storage in case of an emergency takes place. Some version of safety and security. Local support for clients and a structured training program. having a reference with use on Systems and services such as AWS is a huge boom. I know it started without working with support for Microsoft Azure but this is bigger and only going to get bigger in times of crisis. The learning opportunity of what this can provided and help a client with. Long term functionality ad benefits of use and composure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In a way the time it takes to take all the training. Having a forum to be able to share answer and trouble shoot. Their is more to be liked than disliked just ease of use that makes the experience friction-less. The ability to add and get updates an solutions at a quick but expert pace. Sort of like having a live chat. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try and play around with it, Consider how it could help it times of need and crisis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Making sure everything is backed up. One thing i really enjoy about Zerto is how to learn to stay calm and stable in transferring huge amounts of data from one point to another with the lease amount of friction as possible. Making client request and needs get forged into one thing that's specific to the clients need and use of what Zerto provides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Systems Engineer
What do you like best?

An integral part of our DR plan. The data and servers we needed are protected in a group as I need them. Changing/adding servers is easy and fast. The ability to protect resources that are in hurricane zones has been fantastic. Being able to safely perform DR testing, remotely has enabled us to meet DR goals that were put in place. The first DR test with everyone in a room was fun as everyone who hadn't seen it were amazed at how fast a server can come online. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much, it has performed as we have hoped and has the features we currently desire. Increased granularity in how long to keep the journal would be nice. The ability to test or do a live failover for one VM in a VPG. Reduced alerting from both managers when there is an issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Setup is really easy and quick, make sure you have your desired networking for replication and testing in place. You are getting what you pay for; this is a solution that requires minimal management after it is configured. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The replication has been outstanding, it was 3 times as fast as initial Compellent replication. The ability to copy new data and protect new servers without a significant delay in getting the data. The ability to perform DR testing and testing to ensure data integrity. The mobile app is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. System Engineer
What do you like best?

Zerto reminds you to periodically test your backup strategy. It’s as easy as pushing a button and watching your backup site come alive. You can test it in a vacuum without affecting production. Then just as easy push another button to turn it off completing the test. Love it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes upgrades can be a little tedious to upgrade all of the separate parts. Thankfully recently they’ve been making the process more streamlined. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it now Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We had formerly tried RecoverPoint for VMWARE from EMC. And it was terribly clunky and never worked quiet right. We were able to quickly get Zerto in place to replace it and it was able to change the ip addresses and smoothly transition where EMC product failed. This quick turn around has made our hosted customers happy and at ease. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Enterprise Data Management Supervisor
What do you like best?

The flexibility to add, remove and maintain the VMs we want protected. We were able to setup a test, deploy the environment and convert it to a Production deployment with one license change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about Zerto. We have found it to be one of the best products that we have purchased. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try a POC and you will understand the ease and simplicity that it brings to Disaster Recovery Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We went from restores that took 48+ hours to being able to do restore 300+servers in just over an hour and have the IP address changed. We are able to perform quarterly DR tests in a day or two - building it up and tearing it down in a small percent of the previous time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Administrator
What do you like best?

Instant fail over testing, quick replication and the reliability that our company needs. I love to be able to fail over to a test network and try things out all while keeping production separate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Initial replication can take some time, but that is likely due to the connection between our sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Attend a webinar / demo and check with current customers to see if Zerto's feature are a fit for your company's needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed a DR solution for our home office to a colo. Zerto fits the bill for our needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Engineer
What do you like best?

The ease of testing recovery and failback Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When in a test recovery mode you can end up with uneven distribution and those server are pinned to the host during the recovery. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We test minimum twice a year with users. Moving to zerto from our regular backup based recover has saved so much time. We go in and start recovering the protection groups and they are ready to test in minutes. And the data is current rather than whenever the backup was run. but the real cool thing is you can also pick a point in time to recover to if needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager Intel Engineering
Financial Services
What do you like best?

The ability to do production like failovers to multi locations is very nice for some of the internal projects we have going on right now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this point, so far it is working as we expected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

datacenter movement has been our first use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems Administrator, Core Infrastructure & Microsoft Systems
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

I think the best feature of Zerto Virtual Replication is the ability to move between different hypervisors. Whether you use VMware, Hyper-V, Azure, AWS, or even a combination of them, Zerto can replicate and failover your workload to it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps the QA could be better when making new releases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Carefully consider which VMs absolutely need replication and which ones you can perform DR using other methods. Licences can be expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are now able to pivot our disaster recovery datacenter in to the Azure public cloud infrastructure. With our previous solution we were stuck with the same hypervisor (VMware) in another datacentre. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

The ease of use when setting up new DR collections called VPGs in Zerto world. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes difficult for sync to complete over slower WAN connection to DR location. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't hesitate in switching to this product! Just amazing results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a semi-annual DR test and since switching to Zerto we have not had a failure with migrating machines between our production location and DR facility. Real life saver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Infrastructure Engineer
What do you like best?

Super easy to install and once you have your virtual machines protected, no real maintenance required. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If it were only less expensive so we could protect all 4,000 vms...that would be the only thing that could make it better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just try it. You will never uninstall your POC. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have migrated 2 large Data Centers and performed many Audit tests or our critical applications. BCDR is just covered with this tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Director
What do you like best?

Very easy to use, UI is excellent, the RPO between our main office and our DR in a different State is 7 sec. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Backup need to improve but initial testing was good Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Zerto is not a back software yet, but they are moving in right direction, if you are using any kind of replication software, Zerto is on the top. Try POC and you will see. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Disaster Recovery, we failover to our DR site and it worked perfectly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CF
What do you like best?

Zerto is a very useful tool, which allows in a matter of minutes to have an enterprise level protection. The ability to replicate to different sites either in the public or private cloud, gives versatility and confidence. The GUI is fresh and innovative that allows it to be a platform that does not require a high level of IT skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Zerto mentions commercially that it is an IT resilience platform agnostic to hypervisors, nothing could be further from reality, although it perfectly complies with replicating "industry-standard" hypervisors such as ESXi or Hyper-V, there is reluctance to develop a TRULY agnostic platform including hypervisors like Nutanix Acropolis, Oracle VM or XenServer, to name a few. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Zerto deployment can be simple as long as it is based on a well-defined BCP / DRP, otherwise there will be no way to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of the platform. It is also important to consider the replication scenario since it is very different to size an on-prem environment than a cloud environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Integrate a DR platform in accordance with customer requirements and be effective price per VM. Go live in an agile way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Administrator
What do you like best?

Zerto works, very easy and easy to train on. The dashboard is also clean Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing really to dislike. we protect our VM's with zerto and it works Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

make zerto integrate with okta Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

we needed a DR solution and Zerto is our DR solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.