Scout APM Reviews & Product Details

Scout APM Overview

What is Scout APM?

Scout APM is application performance monitoring that streamlines troubleshooting by helping developers find and fix performance issues before customers ever see them. With real-time alerting, a developer-centric UI, and proactive insights, Scout APM helps DevOps teams spend less time debugging and more time building with tracing logic that ties bottlenecks directly to source code. Quickly identify, prioritize, and resolve performance problems – memory bloat, N+1 queries, slow database queries, and more – with an agent that instruments the dependencies you need at a fraction of the overhead. Scout APM is built for developers, by developers, and monitors Ruby, PHP, Python, Node.js, and Elixir applications.

Scout APM Details
English, Japanese

Application Monitoring that finds what you can't see in charts. Scout continually tracks down N+1 database queries, sources of memory bloat, performance abnormalities, and more. Get back to coding with Scout.

Scout APM is application performance monitoring built for developers, by developers. As a company founded by – and largely composed of – developers, we’re committed to building a highly-performant APM so our customers can streamline troubleshooting in their own applications and get back to doing what we all love, faster: building a great product.

Scout APM

Scout APM Reviews

Showing 21 Scout APM reviews
Already have Scout APM?
CTO
What do you like best?

Very handy dashboard, helps you spot anomalies quickly like a bigger response time or crazy N+1 queries. Setup is really quick and easy, it integrates nicely with PHP/Laravel. The dashboard are intuitive, the customer success team will organise a chat to take you through everything and answer your questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The memory tracking isn't available in our current setup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have no visibility over how your app is performing you should really consider setting up ScoutAPM to see what's really going on and start decreasing your response time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We had noticed a few slow pages on our website without being sure of what was causing it, thanks to ScoutAPM we realised we had a lot of N+1 and some controller code was actually heavy. It made us being aware of anomalies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer - Team Lead
What do you like best?

The support team is awesome, always available to help. Not only the team helps a lot, but the tool is amazing, the suggestions to fix n+1 and slow queries save us a lot of time while tuning our app. We can easily spot bottlenecks and view backtraces indicating where to fix. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not able to filter endpoints by most requested paths. That would be useful to see the most usage and slowness, which is where we focus our effort. That is not a big issue, since we know where the high traffic is, but it's a nice to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For us scout has being the best APM for rails apps Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

thanks to scout our app is 35%+ faster compared from last quarter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Scout let us take a look at performance trends for our endpoints and background processes over the course of time. Superimposing deployment information also helps us see whether performance degradation is correlated with a change in the codebase. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have the same performance alerting options for background processes as we have for endpoints. On a couple of occasions, we've had performance problems with background jobs where having alerting would have helped us avoid some problems in production. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check ScoutAPM consistently to watch performance trends. Scout only keeps a limited amount of data, so you may want to aggregate the data yourself or record weekly/monthly averages in another system to keep that for longer-term performance monitoring. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I check in the morning before I start my day so that understand the performance problems our team might have to handle that day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Scout APM
UD
What do you like best?

Scout's performance overview graph helps us see where our app is spending too much time, and then we are able to dig into specific requests to gain insights for how to resolve those issues. Scout helps us assess the hypotheses we have about our app's performance and make a plan to move forward! Scout's blog also provides useful content for how to effectively engage with this tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish Scout allowed you to view an overview that spanned more than just 7 days. It would be interesting to see data for a longer period of time, such as 1 month or even 60 days. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

App performance is the main business problem we solve with Scout APM: Scout helps us see where we can have quick wins by removing n+1 queries and also helps us see larger problems, like slow HTTP requests to external services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Scout automatically tracks web requests, but any sort of background transaction too without having to manually instrument or think to add tracking.

When setting up a new message consumer, it was easy to identify what was taking the longest in both the common and edge cases. Profiled sample tracebacks made it straightforward to look into what specifically was making the consumer slow sometimes

Their interface is intuitive and easy to figure out, more so than NewRelic, which I have also used.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Since my app's performance has a normal amount of variation, I wish that the weekly digest would consider how much variation is normal and let me know when it falls outside of that range. I.e. inform me of atypical variations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

After deploying a change during the day, I want to see that performance remains good. When there's a problem, I love that it guides me to the specific cause in the code. I like the weekly digest email that informs me of performance trends over greater periods of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Engineer - Ruby on Rails/Full Stack
What do you like best?

- Memory allocation and response time trace breakdown

- N+1 and memory bloat insights

- Weekly email summarizing the overall performance boost in comparison with the previous week as well as performance comparison for endpoints with high contrast Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

didn't find any issues so far in more than a year except the pricing jump between FREE and the 1st paid subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are serious enough to figure out your app performance issues and improve those in cost-efficient way, I would highly recommend Scout APM as a must-have tool. Even the FREE version of the tool gives you enough insights that, if you are a good programmer, you can figure out the issues very easily where exactly should you improve the code in order to optimize app memory/time usage. You can even get clear hint of the places where N+1 queries are being generated out of your notice in the app. Tools like these strongly prove to be indispensable for every company ranging from startups to enterprises. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With the help of Scout and Heroku metrics dashboard, we have successfully detected issues with app memory usage as well as response time for each endpoint in short time, which eventually helped us taking the right actions to improve the overall performance of our app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director Of Engineering
What do you like best?

I love Scout's support; being able to communicate with their team just like I would do with my own.

They have really good documentation, I also like the Roadmap visibility and having the ability to cast a vote on new features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Improving the data retention period to more than 7 days would be a great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use scout to monitor our apps, endpoints, it makes it really easy to identify bottlenecks, poor code, N+1's or performance issues. It also gives us visibility into the endpoints we use and overall how the data flows within our apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Scout's ease of installation was an absolute breeze. I used it on my Ruby app; 30 seconds and a commit, some time pouring myself some coffee while the app deployed, and bam! I have an APM set up. The dashboard on the site was extremely easy to read and useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Scout could be used for checking Jekyll templating; I make a lot of static websites, and I would love to be able to monitor exactly where time was spent doing what. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I had issues knowing which queries were taking too much time; this helped me figure out exactly what was going on in real life for my app. Super useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cofounder and CTO
What do you like best?

I installed this through Heroku and after the first week I had a baseline speed level. Now every week I receive an email alerting me to changes in that baseline and areas in my codebase I should look to improve the response times for my app.

Super simple, super valuable insights. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything to dislike as of yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The trial is amazing - genuinely no risk in trying it out for a couple of weeks. You will almost certainly improve your product/service just by letting it monitor your app for a short period. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scout has spotted a couple of very solvable issues in my app that were causing slow response times/freezes on the customer end - being able to track the cause of those issues has been invaluable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Scout consequently tracks web demands, yet any kind of foundation exchange too without having to physically instrument or think to add tracking.Scout has enabled us to recognize execution hotspots in our application, including moderate code ways and memory swell. Before Scout, I was utilizing various order line apparatuses that worked alright, however required much more exertion and didn't present the information in an exceptionally clear manner. With Scout, I can see initially where the issues are and how to start settling them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Since my application's execution has an ordinary measure of variety, I wish that the week after week condensation would think about how much variety is typical and told me when it falls outside of that go. For example educate me of atypical varieties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

On the off chance that you are not kidding enough to make sense of your application execution issues and enhance those in cost-proficient way, I would exceptionally prescribe Scout APM as an unquestionable requirement have device. Indeed, even the FREE form of the apparatus gives you enough bits of knowledge that, in the event that you are a decent developer, you can make sense of the issues very effectively where precisely should you enhance the code so as to enhance application memory/time use. You can even get clear trace of the spots where N+1 inquiries are being produced out of your notice in the application. Devices like these firmly end up being crucial for each organization extending from new businesses to undertakings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In the wake of conveying a change amid the day, I need to see that execution stays great. At the point when there's an issue, I cherish that it guides me to the particular reason in the code. I like the week after week digest email that educates me of execution inclines over more prominent times of time.Scout encourages us diminish memory and asset utilization (and in this manner facilitating costs), and enhance execution for our end clients which gives them a superior ordeal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Consultant
What do you like best?

Seeing real insight and analysis of memory bloat Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Informations are sometimes hard to understand, and i'm not sure that comparison between 2 dates reaaly works Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

finding which request causing memory bloat and correct them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Integration Engineer
What do you like best?

detailed Rails application performance monitoring (chart with upwards trend). Metrics and transaction traces are reported to Scout. It is easy-to-navigate for everyone, highlighting performance problems and filtering out the issues.It is more affordable than traditional APM services Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes faces issue related to the immediate support while it starts slow performing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you are looking for the tool which gives you best performance results, performance & error data at one place,identify background jobs if they are spending too long time in the queue and at last the database queries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We tried to solve our database queries related problems.Capacity and performance related issues get resolved quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
Retail
What do you like best?

I especially like the historical performance overview, it helped me monitor important changes on the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hard to name something in particular, I really enjoy the features ScoutApp offers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, you can better see if it fits your needs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ScoutApp gave us a very fast and easy overview of all the bad n+1 actions in our app. Also helpful breaking down the timings, to see if the slow responses are because of DB or something else. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Technology Officer
Internet
What do you like best?

It gives me all the info I need to find slow requests, what's causing them to be slow, and the query that needs to be fixed. They've helped us increase performance and reduce costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It gets to be a little expensive once you start doing a LOT of requests, but it's still cheaper than their competitors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

- Live looks at how our app is performing in production with real users.

- Pointers to exactly where the time is being spent

- We've been able to reduce request times and reduce costs by needing to run fewer dynos to meet demand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Scout has allowed us to identify performance hotspots in our application, including slow code paths and memory bloat. Before Scout, I was using a number of command-line tools that worked ok, but took a lot more effort and didn't present the data in a very clear way. With Scout, I can see at a glance where the problems are and how to begin fixing them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. I just wish Scout was around years ago! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scout helps us reduce memory and resource consumption (and therefore hosting costs), and improve performance for our end users which gives them a better experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
Internet
What do you like best?

Scout makes it easy to drill down into the problematic areas of your app and doesn't simply throw up graphs and numbers that are impossible to decipher. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing that comes to mind, we are very happy with the features Scout offers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Identifying slow pages and queries and pointing at specific areas in our code that need reviewing and improving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

It gives a detailed and usable view of what is going on in our apps. It shows where something went wrong and how in both Ruby and Elixir. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Elixir environment in scout is improving but not at the same height of the Ruby insights Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can see instantly see where our code and queries are taking too much time. And update our software for enterprises.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Developer
What do you like best?

Scout is a really impressive app and has really helped us get a handle on performance issues. The support team is helpful and their improvements have been great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do wish Scout would retain data for a longer time period, or retain top-level summaries for us to identify long-term trends. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Identifying outlying long requests was probably the most helpful thing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Engineering Manager
What do you like best?

Great for broad overview to spot trends and easy to drill down to details. Appreciate the background job and db monitoring tools as well, and n+1 suggestions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of search / filtering tools, lack of website front end monitoring Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Monitoring & Improving Performance of Ruby on Rails applications Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Scout doesn't get in your way. It shows you the information you need so you can focus on the task at hand without being overcomplicated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For a big team working on an older app, I'd like to be able to more easily focus on my areas of responsibility. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Performance monitoring of a large application. The best benefit is validation of performance fixes in production. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EC
What do you like best?

1. Easy to identify and troubleshoot any problems

2. Email notifications

3. Incredibly easy to set up

4. Great pricing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have been using it for years and I've never had any issues Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Application Performance Management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.