Matomo (Formerly Piwik) Reviews & Product Details

What is Matomo (Formerly Piwik)?

Matomo is the leading open-source web analytics platform, used on over 1.4 million websites in over 190 countries and translated into over 50 languages. Matomo values privacy protection, 100% data ownership and no data sampling. It has two different hosting options - cloud and on-premise. Cloud takes the hassle out of installation, whereas On-Premise is the free, open-source and self-hosted PHP/MySQL software you can install on your own server, which gives you max. flexibility. This premium web analytics and conversion optimisation tool is designed to give you the most conclusive insights with a complete range of features such as heatmaps, sessions recordings, goals, form analytics, ecommerce and funnels. It provides real time updates on the details of your visitors; has goal conversion tracking to track business objectives; event tracking to identify and measure interaction of the user with your website; and A/B testing which helps you optimise your website campaigns by experimenting and running A/B tests. Please visit matomo.org for more information.

Matomo (Formerly Piwik) Screenshots

Thomas Steur

matomo.org
Related Links
Q&A
Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Modern Greek (1453-), Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Welsh
Matomo Analytics
2013
Wroclaw, Poland
@piwik

Companies Using Matomo (Formerly Piwik)

Cisco

1-25 of 63 total Matomo (formerly Piwik) reviews

Matomo (Formerly Piwik) Reviews

1-25 of 63 total Matomo (formerly Piwik) reviews
Randy Wilson

"Amazing open source analysis option."

What do you like best?

Matomo is an incredible platform that is responsible for monitoring the activities of visitors, then show a pattern of how is their behavior on the platform.

I like this tool is that it is dedicated to give complete control over the data that is collected and the administration of these.

I like that it is a very easy platform to configure and install. It also provides multiple functions that allow you to offer very efficient and high quality reports unlike other similar platforms. I also like that I can have a copy of my files on my server and in the cloud, which guarantees complete security.

What do you dislike?

I do not like Matomo that the price offered by supplements that are very important for a good development on the platform are very high.

I also dislike that they have not dedicated themselves to improving the platform or offer innovative changes, new strategies and complements. It really stays the same for a couple of years.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Matomo because it is a platform that generally works very well. And I really like the fact that I can store all the data in the facilities and in the cloud, I think the security that this provides is what motivates my company to make use of this platform and I really like the trust what this conveys.

Matomo has benefited us by being able to know in greater detail the pattern of behavior of people who are interested in our company.

We also benefit from the fact that we can store all the information in the cloud and in our facilities, as this does not guarantee security and a lot of flexibility.

Digital Media

"Piwik gives us web site analytics without giving away our data"

What do you like best?

I like that Piwik (although now called Matomo) gives us web site analytics that are just as good as Google Analytics, without giving away our data. We aren't keen to give away our data to a company that has no way to contact them.

What do you dislike?

We have to host it ourselves, although this is actually a benefit in some ways. We are able to comply with GDPR requests as a result.

We need to know how many people are visiting our company web sites, and from which sources, and we use Matomo for this. It solves this business problem very well, and we are able to host it ourselves without giving away all our data to Google or another company. This is also helpful from a GDPR standpoint, as we are able to delete data on request.

Project Manager
Machinery
(10,001+ employees)

"One of the best Apps to generate Roll-up Reports"

What do you like best?

The awesome SEO helps us promote content and products which are relevant to the visitor from the particular regions they are from.

What do you dislike?

This is the only tool that we use to come up with exact information. I would give this product a 10 out of 10

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many web analytics tools out there , but I like Matomo, because it is very easy to generate Heatmaps and also engage a session recording to see where our visitors are from.

We are now able to use the Media Analytics feature of Matomo to see which item visitors are more interested in and send that information to our Product team so that they can work on it and enhance it of start more production. We are seeing multifold profit% after using Matomo

PR manager

"Helps you in better analytiics and good promotion"

What do you like best?

It is good in giving you control of your data and makes you deal with it effectively. Helps you in making efficient strategies of your work and company so that you can fulfill your customer demand and make them happy as well.

What do you dislike?

I like this tool as it is easy to use and is also reasonable so I have no issues with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is one of the finest tool that I have used so far. Installation and setup is very easy with ease of use. the features are amazing that helps you create amazing content and edit whenever you want. Extremely user-friendly and time-saving.

The best part of this is that it helps you in making a good web content and also creative strategies. This leads to more productivity and effective working in the company that leads to a good bonus. The best part is that you deal with your customer according to your will which is amazing so it helps in good sales and satisfaction of the customer.

Managing Director & Founder

"Great overview over server log stats"

What do you like best?

Easy to configure system for analyzing server logs with added support javascript on-web analytics

What do you dislike?

Few things can be easier, for example ability to filter unwanted stats/Traffic from specific IPs or bots

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to read statistics about your own websites on your own servers, you can easilly achieve that with Matomo/Piwik analytics. But you have to understand that you have to push your logs form your servers to the server where matomo is running.

We were interested in backup solution for our website analytics in one place, where we can see week to week stats of our own websites hosted on our own servers. This tool help us to solve exactly this issue.

Nutritionist

"the tool that gives you control over your data."

What do you like best?

It is great tool that allows you to complete complete dominance on your work you are performing. Now you can have complete hand on your work and see the customer data input and web traffic. Thus it lets you know about the customer demand and make you better strategist about what to do so that you can more.

What do you dislike?

I like this application a lot. It has helped me told my flaws so I don't find anything bad in it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great tool with amazing features that helps you in making better web content and also make more creative strategies. Lets you have complete control over your data and thus makes you aware which department of your business you need to improve. It is very easy to install and also to use even beginners can get accustomed to it easily. It is user-friendly and time saving.

It has increased my productivity of business by giving me control and letting me know about customers demand. When I saw what the most customers look into the website, thus I started accessing them back, giving them discounts and promotion which helped me gained more popularity.

Kevin James

"A good tool that gives you command over your data"

What do you like best?

It is a great platform that allows you to give a dominance over your data. A good analytical tool which allows you to collaborate with other apps in a very good way. You can now check and see how many people are checking over your website and what they are basically doing with it. Helps you to promote your content and products in an good and strategic manner.

What do you dislike?

Till now I have not found any issues with this application yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is an excellent application that helps you to keep track of those who visit your website. Helps you to keep track of your consumers and make promotions and discounts for them. Very easy to install and use. It is very accessible as all the features are very easy to comprehend and utilize as well.

It is an easy to use software that helps you control your data. Helps you to grow it and you can keep track of the visitors and use optimization if necessary.

Book Keeper

"We use it for keeping an eye on our company web site"

What do you like best?

I like that we can see how many people are visiting the web site.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit cryptic what some of the functions mean inside Matomo, and the name change is confusing when it used to be Piwik. I still can't spell Matomo first time and have to look it up.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I know it is free, which saves us money.

I like that we can see how many people are visiting the web site. It is really interesting during crunch periods seeing how many more people visit the web site, and which pages they visit. It is useful for seeing which products are most popular.

IT Support Specialist
(10,001+ employees)

"An Amazing Live Heat Map Tracker"

What do you like best?

I love the Live Heat Map feature. It allows me to see the source of the traffic in real time.

What do you dislike?

The GUI could be a little better, but then I am a little OCD about things like that. I should admit that Matomo is an powerful Web Analytics Tool

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can use Matomo with Google Web Analytics to get the best of both worlds

The Marketing team gets the information and analyses the customers and the products and give appropriate advise to the manufacturing team. This help cut cost which in-turn reduced the Operational Expenditure.

Contracts Manager

"Open Source Analytics that can be self-hosted"

What do you like best?

I like best that we have our own install of Matomo on your server, so we have complete control of data, including exports.

What do you dislike?

So far I haven't disliked anything about Matomo to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Matomo is very easy to install on a web server, so don't worry about that.

We need to analyze how many visitors go to each of our clients web sites, and report back to the client. With Matomo we are able to generate PDF reports and send them to the clients.

Co-founder, lead developer

"A great alternative or companion to Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

If you want to have absolute control over your own data, Piwik is the analytics solution you need. Regardless of whether or not you trust Google, it's a great advantage to have your own copy of the raw data collected from site visitors.

The ability to dive in deep on the data is a valuable asset. And since we have the data in our own database, we can run our own custom queries against it if needed.

What do you dislike?

Older versions felt like the admin screen loaded slowly. But new versions appear to have improved speed. The dashboards in general have improved. So use the newest version!

We run both Piwik and Google Analytics. The benefit we gain with this setup is they keep each other honest. This intentional redundancy lets us know if one or the other has stopped working. It also gives us two data points to compare so we have a more robust picture of the data.

Oversight Data Manager
Pharmaceuticals
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Power Web Analytics Tool"

What do you like best?

I use Matomo along with Google Analytics to make sure that the data that I get is accurate. Matomo’s complete set of features lets us actually view the visitor's actions from start to finish

What do you dislike?

When used with Google Analytics, Matomo becomes a very power tool. I don't see any negatives after using this product for 2 years.

We can can scale up the SEO and also access complete Visitor Profiles which can use the information sensing Tag Manager

Customer Relations Manager
Retail

"A great secondary web state program"

What do you like best?

We've been using Piwik to run as a secondary web metrics platform and we've seen it grown alot in the last year or two. It has a lot of features that make understanding metrics easy and manageable.

What do you dislike?

Piwik is still catching up to some of the features of the bigger named program. It has a great start and has grown alot recently, but still has some areas to grown in.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a great secondary program to gather stats and compare against your other platforms.

It has allowed us to reach a different set of customers and allows us to confirm and compare the other web metrics that we have collected on other platforms.

PHP developer

"A tool that gives you control on your data"

What do you like best?

It is a best analytical tool that assists you in having a complete control over your data. It helps you in having your own copy or your data site instead of relying on others sites.

What do you dislike?

I didnt not have found any issues with it. I like this software as it is very easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is an excellent tool that helps you gain stats in a major category and also compare them with other platforms.

It allows you to get to the reach of different range of customers and confirm them with other web metrics. This allows you to have a total different approach thus increasing your business and customers.

Project Manager

"Looked great on paper, but real-world has not been so clear-sailing"

What do you like best?

It's great that it's open sourced and doesn't require an expensive $$ outlay. That's great for startups where there's not a lot of money to go around. It's also excellent that you can host your own servers, in that, the analytics data collected remains owned and managed by you. There's no third party or other possible privacy breach. The UI is well designed and fairly easy to navigate and find what you're looking for.

What do you dislike?

There are certain things that just aren't working for me. I'm specifically focusing on analyzing user behavior via predefined goals. The goal tracking appears to work great. What isn't working so great is that when I apply a custom segment (in this case filtering out specific URL referrers so that testers do not pollute the production analytics), I get an "Oops error". There's no other details and despite asking to check the error logs, there's not a single line in any available error log. Even when installing the log viewer plugin, it's completely barren of error level entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try to see if it meets your needs before considering other paid solutions.

We're trying to understand how are users are not using the product. We need to know where users are dropping off. Once we know what is happening, we can review the design and flow to see how we can improve this funnel.

"Do not see what they offer that Google Analytics doesn't"

What do you like best?

Piwik's strength is in that the software is easy to navigate and understand. Additionally, you can seamlessly search by a certain time frame to determine how your website is doing.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike, but I also do not see the added benefit from this software over using Google Analytics. I think at best, this software is likely easier to use who may not be as tech savvy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend looking into Google Analytics and determining if Piwik offers anything that Google Analytics does.

We use Piwik to track all internet traffic that flows through our website throughout the year, including determining the down periods and how to increase engagement during that time.

Freelance Writer
Newspapers
(Myself Only)

"Indepth, free web analytics solution to try"

What do you like best?

I like to own the data I manage. Most free analytics solutions don't offer that. With Piwik you host your data analytics on your own server, not sharing it with third-party services (like ads). I like some features of Piwik too (like Piwik Overlay Maps which show how many clicks each on-page link has triggered). It's a nice visualization of how users interact with my pages. Other reports are probably standard: You get to see top referrals, top referral keywords (most will be non-provided), conversions / goals, landing / entry and exit pages and so on. If you get a lot of traffic, you'll find real-time map feature very addictive too. The dashboard view is very easy to customize which I loved

What do you dislike?

It's hard to install, at least the way I did it. It should be hosted on your own server, so I had to hire a developer to help me. Google Analytics is easier of course but with Piwik you own all the data and save it on your own server. It's not as indepth as Google Analytics either.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a tech team, give it a try

It's the best free self-hosted independent web analytics solution I am aware of

"Easy data management all in one place. "

What do you like best?

I like it most because the app keeps a record of all websites that I visit when online. After this it give a well informed report analysis of the same. Another thing that I love about it is that it works very fast and also very conveniently

What do you dislike?

The system becomes very slow sometimes. Especially when dealing with large volumes of data. So it’s not suitable for large data. This needs to be improved. Also the installation process is really tough. Especially for people who are not well equipped in IT.

Matomo is used largely by our ICT department mainly to keep track of our organizations website. It has been very helpful especially with monitoring the functionality of the web

Digital Marketing Consultant with Emphasis on SEO, SEM and Analytics

"Sometimes Piwik user in lieu of Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to navigate around. There are no sidebar issues like with Google Analytics.

What do you dislike?

Google Analytics offers Tag Manager as an easy tool to integrate events and goals (i.e. important button clicks). I have not found that to be as easy with Piwik.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Setup a google analytics account and compare the UX and features to see which one you like more.

We look at visitor data from different acquisition sources to see which channels perform the best.

AM
(10,001+ employees)

"A Poor Man's Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

For new to Piwik the one positive is the platform's similar UX of Google Analytics, so onboarding is fairly quick.

What do you dislike?

Loading times within the platform are painstakingly slow, especially when selecting larger date ranges. Comparison tools are not readily available, and attribution with secondary dimensions are largely disorganized or not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those considering Piwik, stick to more of the largely adopted web analytics platforms like GA or Adobe.

Site performance across omnichannel campaigns has been the main use of this platform. One of the benefits of reviewing site performance is the ability to view site creative.

Director

"Great interface, deep data"

What do you like best?

Coming from the complicated spreadsheet world of Google Analytics, the clear interface of Piwik is a breath of fresh air. The layout is customizable and modular, and the front page gives you a great overview of your hits, as well as any detail you might want on trends or sub-set review. With our own installation, the 'cookie-less' options work great, and we are much happier now we can keep our users data private and not share with Google.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app-based dashboard is a neat feature, but needs some more work to display the information as clearly as in the desktop interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that for a majority of web administrators, Piwik will provide a quicker way to get the essential data.

We now have a much better understanding of the trends driving traffic to our website, and can get a picture of users much quicker than when we were using Google Analytics.

"This is the GDPR friendly and be in control of your data - google analytics"

What do you like best?

You can self host this analytics tool which is super cool and important to us since we want our data in our own control. Also GDPR relevant.

What do you dislike?

Reporting features are not that elaborated as in Google Analytics. But do you really use these additional reports? We don't. So I doubt you will miss any additional report features compared to Google Analytics.

Web Analytics for our client websites

Senior Systems Engineer

"Great alternative for Google Analytics if you need to own your data"

What do you like best?

Piwik is easy to set up, and quick to get started, Updates come frequently and bugs are resolved quickly. The integration seems to be very lean and does not have a significant impact on page loading times (unlike more invasive trackers). Integration with location services is easy and works well, however for more accurate location tracking a commercial license is recommended.

What do you dislike?

GUI is decent for an Open Source product, but compared to commercial products lacks in visual representation and easy to use options. Lack of different back-ends means that very large datasets will make reports slow and more difficult to extract.

Additionally statistics seems to be slightly less accurate than Google Analytics, especially if you do not optimize the instance across a high-available setup.

Tracking custom events to a level that is not allowed or not possible with Google Analytics while retaining full ownership of data and reports. The key benefits to Piwik is that you own the entire solution and there is no black-box processing that obfuscates the source data.

"matomo a tool for a statistical analysis"

What do you like best?

it is a tool for statistical analysis that limits certain information by not supplying all the data when interpreting them as the competition does.

What do you dislike?

He presents on his website three types of rates from the essential, business and company, each with different prices, also gives certain insecurity the name change.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

based on the experience of use I would recommend this tool for those companies that start in a statistical analysis to improve and take a detailed control of visitors in a simple way through graphics.

only the analysis of statistics for decision making when it was used.

"Better than Google analytics for what we needed, but still room for improvement"

What do you like best?

Best part is the customizations it allows for above and beyond what Google analytics offered.

What do you dislike?

I think the user experience could be a but more polished.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

take your time when learning it

Our site was too large for google analytics to handle, and it also did not allow for the kind of customization we needed.

Matomo (Formerly Piwik) Features

7.3
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.4*
* Digital Analytics Category
Do you work for Matomo (formerly Piwik)?

Matomo (formerly Piwik) Categories on G2