Alation

3.7

Alation is a data catalog designed to empower analysts to search, query & collaborate on data to gain faster, more accurate insights.

Work for Alation?

Learning about Alation?

Alation Reviews

Ask Alation a Question
Showing 5 Alation reviews
Alation review by Megan M.
Megan M.

"Does not replace a local database manager tool"

What do you like best?

Collaboration features, when used widely

What do you dislike?

Slow, buggy, hard to use collaboratively

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless collaboration is greatly required for your business needs and no other software can solve them, Alation is not a better alternative to local database tools.

We use Alation as our main query editor and executor. I perform most of my query writing and testing in Alation.

The collaboration features, such as sharing and publishing queries, defining metadata, displaying most used columns, have great potential to provide leverage, if widely used by people in the organization. However they are difficult to use.

For example, when sharing a query, an email is sent to the recipient with an useless subject line ([Colleague] has shared a query with you) with a body section that provides no further information. It would be useful if Alation could at least share the title of the query or a preview of the query. Instead I need to open the query in order to understand what exactly was shared.

Then, once I have clicked on the link, it does not bring me to the editor and executor UI. I need to then click on Compose. However, I still cannot run the query because it is in read-only mode and instead have to save it as another query. There are so many steps in order to simply run the query and see some output, that I usually copy and paste my queries into a messaging app.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Alation
Alation review by Iun C.
Iun C.

"Gets the job done but with quirks "

What do you like best?

Areas of Alation that I like are the simple UI and straightforward organization of the tool. Searching is fairly easy for different tables or schemas and my favorite part is being about to work across different databases (Teradata and Hive). For the most part, no major issues with Alation. It works well for our business.

What do you dislike?

The description and color-coding feature to describe tables isn’t too helpful and actually makes information confusing. Biggest pet peeve with a Alation is also the runtime errors with querying sometimes. Often enough if I have the page sitting for a few extra minutes, I have to refresh the page in order to run the query again. Not a big deal but could make the experience better.

Ease of SQL queries across Teradata and Hive databases. Ability to save frequently used queries to rerun often. I especially like how Alation will auto save queries so if you accidentally click out it’ll still be there when you come back.

What Machine Learning Data Catalog solution do you use?

Alation review by Chris N.
Chris N.

"Great Cloud Solution"

What do you like best?

I like that it stays connected and doesn't time out when I un-dock from my work station.

What do you dislike?

The default window sizing is not ideal for my work setup, but it can adjusted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We use this in addition to Teradata SQL assistant. It's a great cloud solution and ease of documentation is a nice feature along with a clean, slick layout that works well.

Pulling data from our data warehouse to run advanced analytics, measure descriptive statistics, and track contact reductions for our call center.

Alation review by Alex A.
Alex A.

"Very good data discovery and data collaboration features"

What do you like best?

The global search is a life saver, commenting on data sources bring data engineers and analysts together. For large corporation it's easy to catalogue their data as long as everybody gets on board.

What do you dislike?

Product is still at a startup level, setup is still not yet ready for enterprise even though some big players are using it.

Data discovery

data collaboration

Cross-database queries

Alation review by User in Computer Software

"Makes SQL queries fast and easy"

What do you like best?

I love that the full query environment exists in the cloud, including session persistence across devices.

What do you dislike?

Access permissions were tricky to set up, but ultimately sorted out.

Fast and easy enablement of users to write and run their own queries.

Learning about Alation?

* We monitor all Alation reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.