4.7

Particle offers a suite of hardware and software tools to help you prototype, scale, and manage your Internet of Things products.

Work for Particle?

Learning about Particle?

Particle Reviews

Ask Particle a Question
Showing 30 Particle reviews
Alejandro V.

"It has helped me design and build projects easily. "

What do you like best?

I love the entire system. I love the hardware, both Electron and Photon, as well as the IDE. I really appreciate the easy of use. I can use this entire platform to teach kids how to control hardware, collect real-world data, or whatever they can imagine; this platform makes teaching young ones easy and fun! I have two projects I’m working on now.

What do you dislike?

I would like better support for the Atom Editor. I seemed to have problems with it in the past. I have been using the browser IDE because it is not working properly, but I prefer to use the Atom Editor. Also, I would like to see more IoT data analysis done on the website console. This would actually keep me coding on the browser as opposed to the Atom Editor I was speaking of previously. I would rather not use Adafruit.io or Samsung Artik. I really would like to use something from Particle, even though it would not be as robust as other IoT data analytics platforms. I know you guys are a hardware company but a slight upgrade to the console would be great. I’m not asking you all to compete with data analytic platforms, just a small upgrade of features.

I don’t know about business problems but, I am solving problems in the home. Automatic dog feeder, temperature monitor, air quality monitor, self-watering autonomous garden, smart air conditioner, etc.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Particle
Paul K.

"Why I like Particle for IoT"

What do you like best?

I have been working with Particle devices in my personal projects and on products. Out of the box I am able to get cloud connectivity and get productive quickly. I like the fact that they offer devices with WiFi, Cellular and soon Mesh, which allows me to pick the device best suited to my design while maintaining unprecedented portability in code as I move between them. Besides being well designed, their development tool offerings allow me to select what works best for me. Particle's community forum is one of the best I have used for support and is frequented by Particle's own geniuses. I also like Particle's no-nonsense licensing tiers for developers and Enterprise. Because of this, I can prototype products easily and scale to larger volumes without the typical headaches.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot. As a small company growing quickly, areas such as documentation and issues management have lagged. However, Particle's ongoing investment in staff is already showing vast improvement in these and other areas.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check out their website and documentation. Buy their development kits and experiment to understand the breadth of their offering. Then talk to their sales team to see how Particle fits in to your solutions.

Particle allows me to produce proof-of-concepts and prototypes very quickly. For my own projects, this gets me to a solution before I get bored! For products I am working on, clients appreciate the fast turn around on demos, allowing us to better understand and scope out their requirements.

What IoT Management solution do you use?

" Excellent experience with Particle a powerful and easy to use IOT platform."

What do you like best?

Particle is a very easy to use tool, it also has a highly customizable user interface which can be modified and adapted to our tastes and needs. It also has multilanguage support that allows us to write in more than one programming language.

Particle is ideal to manage and manage multiple devices in a safe and effective way from its great console of administration of devices, besides its powerful microcontrollers allows us to put our products online in a matter of a few minutes either by Wi-Fi, cellular ( 2G / 3G / LTE) or from the network.

What do you dislike?

To date my experience using Particle has been completely satisfactory if you doubt is an extremely important tool within any company or organization because it allows us to create and test prototypes and also helps us to place our products online easily and quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I openly recommend Particle an effective tool to manage and manage multiple devices with the help of its useful Device Management Console, in addition to its powerful microcontrollers which allows us to put our products online in a matter of a few minutes either by Wi-Fi. Fi, cellular (2G / 3G / LTE) or from the network.

Particle is a simple but powerful tool is also very easy to use, this great tool has a highly customizable user interface which can be modified and adapted to your tastes and needs, has multilanguage support which allows us to write in more than one programming language represents a great advantage for our team of developers. Another point to take into consideration are its powerful microcontrollers which allows us to put our products online in a matter of a few minutes either by Wi-Fi, cellular (2G / 3G / LTE) or from the network.

carlos p.

"sensacional experiencia con partícula"

What do you like best?

Esta es una plataforma entre todas, la mejor y más fácil de manejar, así como fácil de manejar y controlar, a través de la Consola, la administración de dispositivos, y cada uno Construir y administrar su flota de IoT.

What do you dislike?

Partícula tiene todo lo que necesito para mi producto IoT, desde el dispositivo hasta la nube. Para ser sincero y en líneas generales no tengo nada negativo que resaltar de este gran producto, todo lo contrario partícula es excelente y me ha funcionado muy bien.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

esta plataforma es altamente recomendable, con Particle podrás administrar y controlar tus dispositivos a través de la Consola de administración de dispositivos, cada dispositivo está expuesto a través de una API segura.

Con Particle le permite promover su producto IoT, esta excelente plataforma es facilitar la vida, todo el hardware que está diseñado para que su dispositivo se conecte en cuestión de minutos, a través de Wi-Fi, celular (2G / 3G / LTE) o Malla, puedes ensamblar de manera sencilla tus dispositivos de partículas a la nube de dispositivos. La aplicación le guiará paso a paso a través de un sencillo proceso de configuración hasta que el LED de su dispositivo emita una luz ciánica, lo que indica que está conectado a la Nube del dispositivo y listo para ser programado.

Th v.

"Well-rounded IoT solution, from hardware to cloud"

What do you like best?

Particle makes it easy to develop applications and all their stack is open source, so that makes it possible to troubleshoot gnarly issues as well as learn & extend.

They spent a lot of effort in producing a developing stack that allows for very fast iterations, specifically, the majority of the libraries remain in a "system" section of flash while only the application bits need to be uploaded for each edit/compile/test cycle. That makes it really fast, there's no coffee break while waiting for the flashing to happen.

The documentation is very good overall as well.

What do you dislike?

The monetization around their cloud platform makes for some awkward trade-offs. I get that they need to do what they need to do to build a business but it introduces hurdles, such as up-to-N-devices, or HA-is-enterprise-only.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Focus on the mesh products and have a bit more patience while the software gets to production quality (it's happening relatively fast).

Developing cellular-connected sensors.

Darren M.

"Particle Photon for soliving issues"

What do you like best?

There are many good things that I can talk about for this nice board. Particle Photon is available at a very good price and works better than many similar boards. I ordered the board and received in less than 48 hours. I used Photon many times for building an internal network while connecting many devices of different operating system and it works great. This small board can be easily used to solve many connection issues.

What do you dislike?

The board has been working with no issues at all. There is nothing that I don't like so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Particle Photon is capable of solving connectivity issues while building networks. It is available at cheap price and works great.

Particle helped our IT department to solve many connectivity issues. We realized that Photon board has helped us to save a lot of money and effort for building small networks.

Thomas W. C.

"Particle for Industrial Flow Meters"

What do you like best?

We love how easy it is to customize our applications using the Particle hardware and interface. The online community support is excellent. Especially for new users that do not have experience with IOT. Skys the limit with Particle and your imagination. There are also many 3rd party vendors that manufacure parts and accesoris for the Particle units. Adafruit is one, they make many accesories and breakout boards that all play well with Particle.

What do you dislike?

We could use a better data usage monitor, or estimator. I am referring to the amount of kb/mb we send over the cellular connection. Personally I would love a dedicated 4-20 mA input and not have to use a 3rd party breakout board. But I understand that is probibly a very small market for Particle and would not be on the top of the list of future enhancments.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have any interest in IOT products I would try Particle. The documentation and community support is amazing.

We are able to decrease the sales cycle of our products by using cellular connectivity to monitor usage in real time. This also gives us a cloud-based backup of the data we record.

Pedro Fellipe d.

"practicality and safety when developing your zero stake project to the final product."

What do you like best?

The platform is fully and fully integrated, hardware is provided to connect your device to the internet, service has a development tool to assist in the configuration of the integration software between the product and the hardware, and finally it is available device cloud that offers full control over service demand, from there Particle takes care of everything, security, scalability, reliability, your product will be distributed in a safe and scalable way.

What do you dislike?

development tool is not so simple, it requires specific knowledge, not that this is a problem but it is a factor to be highlighted.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

worth for practicality and scalability with no need for worry and effort on the part of the developer

the ease of publishing web service, propagation and scalability of the final product and data security.

Andreas R.

"A product that can spur your creativity"

What do you like best?

I've worked with several µC systems before, but none of them captured my attention that much as Particle devices and the company behind them. IM(admittedly biased)O it also has the most helpful and friendly community to support new-comers as well as experienced users.

What do you dislike?

I definetly have too little time to do all the stuff I'd like to do with these devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, get involved and visit the community regularly. Stay tuned of the next generation of devices and give as much feedback to Particle as you can, since they always eager to hear from customers how to improve and actually implement valuable suggestions.

When you have the ability, contribute to the open source repositories to accelarate the improvement.

One of my projects was to get an otherwise closed system connected to our intranet by means of the USB HID capabilities paired with the WiFi connectivity.

Jerry B.

"Cutting edge IoT with a focus on usability and product scaling."

What do you like best?

Great support and development solutions for any level of experience. They are focused on helping customers from prototype to product, no matter what the size of your company. I've used every iteration of their products and their hardware iterations are always an improvement.

What do you dislike?

Their initial dev boards deprecated quickly, but now that they are through their growth spurt it is much easier to grow with their products.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Experiment with different methods for coding and flashing your devices. Web is convenient, but if you are more tech-savvy, try building locally to have maximum control over your build environment.

They helped me get my first product launched, despite being a smaller run device and starting out as an artist more than a product developer, they gave above and beyond. They assisted me in finding trustworthy manufacturers in China which took a huge amount of stress off my shoulders.

Jeremy P.

"Abstraction of the backend so I can concentrate on product, not platform."

What do you like best?

VERY quick time to market u inlature firmware and tool set.

What do you dislike?

The cost per device and service myth prohibiting expansion of Particle. What I mean by that is when you look only at cost per device, the playing field looks uneven - however, when you factor in the million dollar a year cost of the tech staff to manage an infrastructure properly and the $100k / year AWS bill, those $2 chips really start getting expensive. If more people saw this, I think Particle cost would drop and features would increase.

Extremely fast time to market and one off implementations are extremely simple!

Indra S.

"The best"

What do you like best?

Seriously, with a little bit of knowledge or interest you'll make amazing things with particle. Start easy with some flashy lights and before you know if you're automating your garden, house, brewing process or whatever is in your wildest dreams! Make cool swag with RGB LEDs that play pong autonomously etc, you name it and make it!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you'll run into obstacles as with every project. Luckily the guys at the forums are always there to help! No hurdle too big.

Cheap IoT. Powerful microcontrollers can make business life, fleet monitoring etc a lot easier and better.

"The best of the IoT Devices"

What do you like best?

İt is definitely a solid platform, I liked that Microsoft Azure was integrated into Google Cloud applications.

It has WiFi integrations and a rest ful API that allows you to easily interact with the board.

For first time coders, I recommend clicking the "Blink an LED" example button that Particle nicely provides.

You can use arduino code, but you don't actually have to plug it into anything but power to push code to the device

Very quick feedback on product support.

What do you dislike?

It's really hard for beginners, it takes time to learn. Documentation is either out of date. the documentation they use is difficult to understand. Automatic updating sometimes leads to data loss.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use app. Typical start-up equipment, sure the tech is neat but you have to be 'leet' to do anything. Find educational videos or get help from someone to learn.

Code updates, rebootings, everything can be managed from a web-based IDE and Monitoring rooms with sensors

"Great, but not perfect"

What do you like best?

Out of all the softwares I’ve used from Particle’s competitors, none of them look nearly as clean and nice as Particle. The Particle software’s layout is very well put together, with the different text colorings really going well together and with the background. They also make the code MUCH easier to read, which is especially useful when you need to read through it to edit!

What do you dislike?

In general, I enjoy using Particle and find it very helpful. However, I believe it could be more user-friendly. When I was struggling with writing code, I found it difficult to find guides or any kind of troubleshooting features.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would truest recommend giving Particle a try. You won’t regret it.

My group and I all love using Particle. It’s the software we’ve been searching for, for months! It runs very fast, and lags little, which is a major problem I’ve noticed with other similar softwares. I find the visual style to be VERY easy to read and understand, as well as easy on the eyes when you’re staring at a screen all day!

My group is using the software to automate processes that would normally take a while, despite being rather simple to code for! It’s a huge time saver and helps to really bump up our efficiency. Because of Particle, we’ve been able to allocate our time more efficiently and save on resources. Particle has been a lifesaver.

"Incredible Platform with Poor Integrations Experiences"

What do you like best?

Particle has an incredible community that is supports the backbone of trying to both learn and to develop on the platform. Additionally, particle is able to integrate into many of the most popular IoT platforms with a myriad of devices.

What do you dislike?

While Particle does have integrations into many IoT platforms such as Azure, setting up, troubleshooting, and debugging was one of the most frustrating challenges that I experienced. For the price that I am paying for particle devices, I was expecting the integration to have gone much more smoothly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read the documentation properly, and be sure to explore the community as many of the questions that you have could be resolved by simply just googling them. The documentation is far from complete.

Currently, we are using Particle devices to listen and trigger microphones at real time based on user activity. Due to my limited experience of deploying particle in the field (because the integration was so frustrating), I have yet to realize any benefits.

"All-In-One IOT Platform Done right !!"

What do you like best?

Web integrations extend the capabilities of the Particle Cloud to other services, I really like that can be integrated with Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud.

The Particle Console's real-time device logs give your product and support teams instant feedback on the performance of your products and how your customers are engaging with them

Roll-out tools included so you can confidently deploy updates and roll back to old versions when needed

What do you dislike?

Should improve support, not really helpful when needed.

Not so user-friendly for beginners, had some really hard time dealing with something that other software provided with no problem.

Would really like to see more IoT data analysis done on the website console.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Particle already has a lot of experience building Internet of Things things. The Core and Photon are excellent WiFi development boards with a strong development platform and a very capable cloud backend

IoT micro-controller, Our systems needed WiFi to be able to communicate updates and receive customer data and support.

It was an esy and fun way with the provided tools.

Ryan B.

"Superior IOT Platform with Top Notch Support Behind It! "

What do you like best?

Particle.io has allowed me to quickly get concepts to working prototypes in less time and more reliability than any other platform I have seen in the marketplace. Their development tools are top notch and are easy for a novice to learn and work with.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike honestly. The support and products are good.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it.

We are building new and more advanced web-connected portable power products using Particle Wifi and cellular solutions.

Luke D.

"Build locally, flash anywhere"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to build and save code locally so that I can version control it. Being able to manage my code libraries and easily see other examples is also a huge advantage.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes setting up the folder structure can be a bit cumbersome.

Also, it doesn’t have intellisense. It just remembers previous words you have typed and can recommend from that list only.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the code libraries for examples when using this ide. It is based off of the Atom text editor, so it has a smooth and modern feel

I am using particle ide to developer code for my photon particle iot device. I can easily flash the device without having to manually connect to it every time.

Gustavo G.

"Amazing platform with great tooling"

What do you like best?

I can deploy firmware updates to any of my Particle devices from the comfort of a browser, anywhere on this planet. They have an amazing online community to help you when you get stuck.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the documentation can prove difficult to understand. However, a quick visit to the online community fixes that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

get a dev kit and start implementing your idea!

I build connected devices and Particle is the one and only platform I'm using today and I want to keep it that way!

AC
Administrator in Chemicals

"It has been a great experience so far"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of firmware updates and the ease of development on the Particle platform. We were able to achieve commercialization in about 8 months

What do you dislike?

I don't have any major complaints but I am a little unhappy over the lack of communication over unresolved engineering problems on the Electron platform. For e.g.: The bootloader corruption and the devices losing their keys. I found this out only when I plugged in over 100 Electrons

The major benefit is being able to build something for our business in a very short timespan

Marco Z.

"Arduino like with fota enabled "

What do you like best?

With particle photon I easily create a wifi automation for my horse barn. Fota is enabled by default and is a mandatory for my needs

What do you dislike?

In Europe not many expansion shield available and library supported for third party for cloud ide

Remote automation of horse barn with WiFi support

"About "Particle""

What do you like best?

Particles is a program that is starting to have their good and bad things, but the fact that they are new and being updated for future uses is something that they like.

What do you dislike?

Because many initial IoT projects are launched from the business units, the initial IT focus should be on knowledge acquisition. Therefore, IT managers should form a small and flexible IT team specialized in IoT (with business representation, if possible) to become familiar with the providers of existing IoT platforms and their solutions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As everyone will have to offer a unique competitive product that characterizes them in this section of Iot

monitor IoT event flows,allow the aggregation of data, specialized analysis

Anilkumar R.

"What I have encountered ever since I implemented Particle "

What do you like best?

Particle performs lots of functionalities without having to integrate add-on applications.

I also like Particle because it offers the ability to write with more than one language while programming.

Finally, Particle download and install updates automatically.

What do you dislike?

Can cause loss of data due to automatic updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend.

Undertake Internet of Things projects in one place.

Help me save time while carrying out IoT projects.

Dale A.

"Particles and Beyond"

What do you like best?

The new feather form factor with the Xenons, Argons and Borons make it really easy to use with the Adafruit Feathers. The community and products are easy to use and great.

What do you dislike?

Wishing there were more video tutorials to learn from.

Currently designing a product for exercise and mobility for the elderly.

E
Executive Sponsor

"Development of IoT Device"

What do you like best?

Integrated board with Cell Service

analog & digital input/output

Good on line tutorials

What do you dislike?

on line - or phone - support is spotty.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good product with cutting edge features.

WE are developing device for industrial equipment to monitor equipment status and send data on a timed basis to the Particle Cloud and then on to Dashboard.

Learn more about Particle

Particle Videos

Learning about Particle?

* We monitor all Particle reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
4.7