Heartland Payroll

Heartland Payroll

4.7

Balance your business' time and attendance, human resources administration, tax reporting and more in one online, integrated suite. Whether you're looking for an easier way to pay employees or maintain compliance with your state's HR laws, Heartland provides payroll services to businesses large and small with our customizable solutions.

Work for Heartland Payroll?

Learning about Heartland Payroll?

Heartland Payroll Reviews

Ask Heartland Payroll a Question
Showing 70 Heartland Payroll reviews
Shelly B.

"Customer Service is a dream"

What do you like best?

I can only speak for the payroll specialist I have worked with, Priscilla Proch. She is ALWAYS kind, which is KEY, however she is also extremely informative and lovely to work with. An asset to the company on all levels.

What do you dislike?

Recently when I have entered payroll and then navigate off the page, some of the data has been lost, however I have fixed that by periodically navigating off the page to save so I don't time out, even though the time I am on that page does not seem enough to lose data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Call and talk to different payroll companies and make sure you choose one with your OWN Payroll Specialist. That has been amazing as many other companies give you a number to call and it is almost impossible to reach anyone and then you have to explain your whole situation to each new person on the phone.

Heartland helps create peace of mind around payroll processing.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Heartland Payroll
Richard Thomas G.

"Best Payroll Management Company Around"

What do you like best?

Their Graphical User Interface. It is very easy to use and is laid out in a logical manner.

What do you dislike?

I do not really dislike anything about the service. However, I do find some (very few) of the help screens to be lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that Heartland Payroll Systems is the best payroll management system we have ever used. I find they responsive, knowledgeable, an very professional. Any changes in the system are reported. Downtime for system maintenance is never during our normal working day and communicated well in advance.

Heartland takes the worry out of all my payroll needs. They ensure that my payroll is submitted on time and that it is correct. Any updates to tax rates, etc. are taken care of automatically. They interface with my states Division of Revenue as well as the Department of Labor and the IRS. This frees my time up to run my company.

What Payroll solution do you use?

Lori F.

"More bells and whistles than I need but a great service"

What do you like best?

My sales rep is still on the job and available for my calls even 3 years later! He's my go-to support when I can't figure out something I'm trying to do. Talking to support at Heartland is helpful if you get someone helpful.

What do you dislike?

It's not a user-friendly service for a non-HR, non-accounting person. When I started with Heartland, my bank integrated with my accounting system (Xero) and doing payroll was much easier. Then my bank changed to a 2-step online validation login, and it broke my connection to Xero, which meant it broke my connection to Heartland, too. Now I have to do my payroll manually, and the reporting is not easy to understand. However, I plan to either change banks or accounting systems this year, and then the Heartland interface should work again. So none of this is really Heartland's fault.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try to work with a rep who has a long history with the company and/or experience in payroll/HR. Like most online companies, they do most of their support by chat/email, altho they're pretty good about voice to voice if you call in. When I signed up with them, I'd reviewed 2 other payroll companies in addition to Heartland. I liked that Heartland had a local rep and he seemed very knowledgeable. My first account exec was very responsive and helpful. But he got promoted and now I'm not impressed with his replacement. She's actually making my job harder. So I reached out to my sales rep to ask to be switched to someone else. That is still in progress. But it's a huge undertaking to move financial accounts, so I'm going to try to make this work before looking around again.

My mother did my payroll for more than 20 years. When she retired, I didn't want to a) do it her way or b) do it at all !!! :) So I thought a payroll service would save me lots of time, even though I only have a few employees and 1099s. They actually save me $$ since I don't have to have my accountant do my W2s and 1099s in January, and I don't have to worry that I'm doing my quarterly payroll tax filings wrong. It's a nominal fee for this peace of mind

Amber V.

"Highly recommend Heartland"

What do you like best?

Heartland is fast, efficient and always does great work. They don't make mistakes and are very helpful when we have questions or any special needs. I've had issues setting up new employees and questions about court-ordered wage garnishment, for example. I always get fast answers and the right answer from Suzanne Slagle, our specialist. Even on the rare occasion that Suzanne is out, the other specialists step right in to assist.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that the quarterly reports seem to take awhile at times to be uploaded but it's not a big problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a fantastic service and I couldn't recommend it more. Our specialist is fantastic and always has answers.

Using Heartland has made our payroll much simpler for me. Deductions and benefits are tracked in Heartland's system which gives us a check to validate our in-house tracking and also offers a back-up in case something would happen to our records. It's very easy to set up new employees and to change employee information, such as new address, new salary or deductions.

Tina L.

"Excellent payroll service"

What do you like best?

I LOVE that Heartland has such personal service. Their service team is great, and they make payroll easy and convenient. A special shout-out to Shannon Levinski and Vincent Giuliano, who both are an absolute pleasure to work with. They are both very professional, knowledgeable and make truly make this as easy as possible so that we can spend our time running our business. As a plus, I don't get sales calls like I still get from both ADP and Paychex.

What do you dislike?

The online payroll function is slow and could work a little faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's an easy switch with the Heartland taking care of the entire onboarding so that you don't have to do it. Highly recommend!

It enables us to focus on working on growing our business.

Elizabeth S.

"Very easy to work with and knowlegable about all aspects of payroll!"

What do you like best?

I love the online portal it is so easy to figure out exactly what the payroll looks like and you can make changes that are in real time!

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found any downsides to using Heartland and would recommend them to anyone who asked for a referral!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is worth making the switch. It's easy they do most of the work and the online portal is fantastic compared to other companies. Very easy to use and lots of information at your fingertips.

Other payroll services weren't as easy to work with - when I call Heartland even if my normal contact person isn't available I can still get a live person on the phone to answer my question.

Tony S.

"Heartland does it all!"

What do you like best?

The fact that I have a dedicated payroll specialist, and when she is out, another one steps in, introduces himself/herself, and the ball keeps rolling. The fact that I get an email reminder and that I can process my payroll either through email or worst case scenario, phone.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing to add here as I do not dislike anything about their service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a very affordable payroll service.

I don't need to worry about paying all the payroll taxes. After payroll is processed, they let me know how much I need in the bank to meet payroll. I have access to payroll reports to meet my workman's comp audits.

Dawn B.

"If I Had Only Switched Sooner . . ."

What do you like best?

I love the accuracy of my payrolls, the helpfulness of my payroll specialist, and the ease it has been to get our checks cut. I run a seasonal business without about 600-700 employees, and I had literally been in tears trying to run payroll with the payroll company I had before Heartland, which happens to be one of the largest payroll companies in the U.S.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything that I dislike. When the sales rep that I had at Paychex left and went to Heartland, I saw the writing on the wall. Joan Kurtenbach has been such a knowledgeable resource about everything regarding payroll, and I don't know what I'd do without her. The only complaint I have is that I did not receive my W-2s by January 22nd. I had to call on January 28th, and they still have not been mailed. They did overnight them to me right away, but i'm not sure what happened there.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend Heartland over Paychex or ADP.

1) I am solving soooooooo many errors that Paychex would make every single season. 2) I am saving money versus my former payroll provider. 3) I am realizing the greatest benefit of being less stressed about payroll. 4) I am receiving personal service, every time I call, and I'm not stuck leaving voicemails with people who don't get back to me.

Neal B.

"Great Pricing For The BEST Payroll Service"

What do you like best?

The account representatives that I have had in my many years with Heartland have totally validated my switch from PayChex, who I left because they screwed up my payroll and while they fixed their errors, they refused to help me with the additional accounting fees that I had to incur to correct my returns. Heartland has been there all the way for me, quickly and accurately reporting all of our data to the proper authorities and my A/Rs have been insightful, thorough, very enjoyable to talk to, and have been as if they were inside my head because they got to know me and how I think. They take my business personally as if it were their own. They make Heartland one of the best choices I have ever made in business.

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing. Vice President & Chief Financial Officer

Executive Media Communications, Inc.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give these folks a try if you want someone who is invested in your business success.

When I erroneously reported earnings for an employee, Heartland took the lead with getting everything corrected with the IRS. When the forms were returned for a missing check mark, Heartland took care of refiling for me at no additional cost. The reporting that I get from Heartland is so easy to access and understand that I wish they could do more for me.

RICH M.

"10 Years of Excellent Customer Service"

What do you like best?

We like having our own Payroll Specialist; we like that our Payroll is complete, accurate and worry-free; we like that Heartland takes care of filing our quarterly taxes; we like the ease of working with the online system; we like that their Customer Service is nationwide and we can get after hours help if needed. The list goes on...

What do you dislike?

We find little to dislike about Heartland. Perhaps, that our issues can take a little time to resolve, as opposed to instantly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You have your own Payroll Specialist. They make sure your payroll is complete and accurate.

Heartland Payroll resolves all of our Payroll needs -- from making sure the Payroll is complete to filing our taxes and providing quarterly and year-end reports. The primary benefit we have realized is the above-and-beyond customer service. Having our own Payroll Specialist is the greatest benefit.

"So happy we switched"

What do you like best?

We switched to Heartland because of its reputation for great customer service and we have not been disappointed. As a small company with limited bandwidth and experience with payroll, we needed a company to rely on not just to process payroll, but to answer our questions.

What do you dislike?

I am somewhat disappointed that I am now on my third payroll specialist in 2 years as I loved my first one. That said, I wasn't disappointed in my new ones' performance. I just wondered what was going on in regards to turnover at the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth a demonstration if looking at different payroll systems

Heartland allows us to NOT spend time worrying about payroll. We have saved significant money by making this switch and have gotten access to a lot more information quickly on the interface than we did with our previous provider.

"Very, very positive"

What do you like best?

When I have questions or concerns, Heartland is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

What do you dislike?

I have not had any negative experiences so far. Prior payroll service we used was terrible so this is very refreshing!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hiring the services of a payroll company is scary. You are entrusting them with all of your banking information, employee social security numbers, etc. You are also counting on them to file the state and federal payroll taxes properly. It's a big deal to choose a payroll service but I could not be happier with Heartland. I have already recommended Heartland Payroll to several other people!

We use Heartland for payroll processing only. It's very nice to have a payroll company that I feel confident in. They are very knowledgeable and very helpful. Whenever I have a question, they respond quickly.

Rose H.

"Easy platform to navigate with great customer service"

What do you like best?

Not only is the site to enter payroll easy to navigate the customer service that is provided is top notch. Whether it is a simple question about the use of the site, challenges with entries or user error the support and response by Heartland Payroll Specialists are thorough and timely!

What do you dislike?

Downloading reports is sometimes a slow process, however that may be attributed to slower download speeds on our network more than a platform issue.

We use Heartland for payroll services the ease of the system is great. And the fixed expense is appreciated.

"Making my job easier"

What do you like best?

That when I'm traveling I can still log in and do the payroll where ever I am. I can send the reports to my boss when he is traveling and everything is so easy to do with the program.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a single thing I dislike. they have a really great program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great, easy to use product. You will save time and frustration.

Payroll use to take me the entire day getting all the reports for a local payroll provider, then I would drive them over to them. On the day before payroll I would receive the checks and would have to double check to make sure there were no mistakes. Just the time saved so I can do other parts of my job is tremendous.

Robert C.

"They are awesome"

What do you like best?

They always answer my requests RIGHT AWAY, and are very helpful.

What do you dislike?

The inability to "take back" a accidential payroll processing. They should color the Preview and Processing buttons different colors. Also they used to have a thing with GetHired where you could retry the import of a newhire again, and that disappeared in the last few months. Would like that back rather than waiting up to 6 hours for it to do it again.

Taxes are done by them and that makes me happy!

"Excellent service and easy payroll!"

What do you like best?

Easily my favorite part of Heartland is my representative and my payroll specialist! These 2 individuals have made the experience with Heartland Payroll a breeze! Beside this the program is so easy! It all boils down to entering the hours per employee and then writing a check. Cannot beat it!

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything about Heartland Payroll.

When I took over running the office for a contractor everything had been done old school. I spent all my hours bookkeeping and any time spent on any other project just took too much time away from this necessary task. Heartland has allowed me to have a powerful payroll engine working for me which allows me to focus on other pressing matters.

Lisa S.

"Heartland Payroll"

What do you like best?

I have used Heartland Payroll for over 8 years. We are a very small business, but still feel that the value we get from HPS more that makes up for the cost. Our payroll specialist, Lauri Lacey, has been professional and responsive. If I have a question or send an email, it is immediately addressed.

What do you dislike?

We have not ever had occasion to consider doing payroll in-house or using another company.

Payroll processing and all taxes, forms and filing are done on time.

"Great customer service"

What do you like best?

When I have an issue, they figure it out.

What do you dislike?

That I can no longer get through to anyone after 5pm

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The only criticism I have is that I no longer have access to my older payroll information since you switched to a new payroll platform. I receive a lot of requests for employment verification and need to refer back to old records for that purpose, as well as payment history, which is now impossible to retrieve unless my specialist puts in a request for each and every inquiry. It is time consuming and inconvenient, as I work many nights/weekends, when your specialists are not available.

The tax withholdings is the biggest problem and benefit.

RHONDA H.

"EXCELLENT COMPANY"

What do you like best?

WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT HEARTLAND. THEY ARE ALL TOP NOTCH PROFESSIONALS TO WORK WITH. I ESPECIALLY LOVE THE ENTHUSIASM THAT LEE ANN AND JOYCE PUT INTO THEIR WORK. IT MAKES IT A REAL PLEASURE TO DEAL WITH THESE REPS.

What do you dislike?

NOTHING/NOTHING/NOTHING/NOTHING X INFINITY

No problems with them at all. Having three stores to be responsible for, it saves me a lot of time having them do my payroll, be responsible for filing the taxes, etc.

"They have been amazing from day one."

What do you like best?

The first acct rep I had set up a spread sheet for me to price out various jobs. I have to be able to account for how much money each job is costing me for payroll. I have a commercial cleaning company and have several accounts that staff work every night.They developed the spread sheet and the monthly report so I can see monthly, quarterly, yearly my real costs for payroll per account. My previous payroll company didn't/wouldn't do that.

What do you dislike?

Haven't found anything yet. They are always open to talking about any challenges I may/may not have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Heartland is a company I suggest all the time as a company that can solve problems for payroll, not create them. They have professional and knowledgeable staff that are capable to see a challenge and run with it until it's solved.

The biggest benefit was the report they customized for me so I can see how much I'm actually spending on the various cleaning accounts. That has been a major, major benefit and help.

David S.

"Efficient and Effective Payroll Services"

What do you like best?

I have been a client of Heartland for several years and everything is handled efficiently and effectively. I have had no issues whatsoever and appreciate having a dedicated payroll specialist to make sure everything is done correctly.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints or dislikes at this time.

Payroll is done. Employees are paid on time, and taxes are all submitted and paid as required by law. I don't have to worry that I forgot something.

UG
User in Government Administration

"Heartland User"

What do you like best?

It is able to manage multiple organizations at the same time. Stores personal information well.

What do you dislike?

The format is a bit confusing, not an easy sight to navigate. Also the way time is measured does not make much sense. Adding users is difficult. It also takes a long time to recover funds that were not deposited into a bank account.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you are using actual time, not increments of time. For example, an hour and thirty minutes is displayed as 1.30 not 1.5. Also make sure your employees are on top of things because you won't know if the check didn't hit the bank properly. It will still withdraw from your account.

We use Heartland as a way to manage our payroll. It has bee an efficient way to pull payroll reports and labor costs.

LIBBY W.

"Heartland Review"

What do you like best?

I never have any issues with my payroll. They are always super quick to answer any of my questions or requests. I like that I have a particular person to deal with, but if she is ever out, there is always someone standing by to take her place.

What do you dislike?

I have absolutely no complaints. I have never had an issue or a problem.

We do all of our staff payroll thru Heartland, taxes, W2's, etc. It is fantastic that they have taken this off of my plate and that they do such a great job.

"Great Payroll Company"

What do you like best?

They are very responsive to emails and area always there to assist.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything. I have no issues with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Heartland. They are great for processing payroll and their HR portal is also very useful.

We have reduced our payroll costs and changed to a bi-weekly payroll which is more efficient and as they do all of our payroll tax preparation that takes another burden off our plate. It's also easy for our employees to access to print their own pay stubs and and get their PTO balances.

LISA V.

"Seamless transfer & consistent, top notch service!"

What do you like best?

The multifunctional dashboard makes it easy to keep employee information in one safe place, as well as retrieve reports easily.

What do you dislike?

Haven't really hurdled any dislikes at this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give them an opportunity to show you what they can offer - you may be pleasantly surprised!

PTO/Vacations are easy to track! Pretax deductions are clearly listed and easy to keep track of.

Learn more about Heartland Payroll

Heartland Payroll Videos

Learning about Heartland Payroll?

* We monitor all Heartland Payroll reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.