Heartland Payroll Reviews & Product Details

Heartland Payroll Overview

What is Heartland Payroll?

Heartland offers best in class client care. As a complete management solution, Heartland can serve as a single point of contact, making it easy to deal with any issue. By leveraging our technology, security, and skills, the expert team at Heartland can process all your payroll needs while still helping you meet your financial goals. You'll love the freedom. We make payroll work for you, on your schedule and at your convenience. With instant online access to your payroll data and employee information, our user-friendly tools allow you to stay on the go or take it slow. 100 percent confidence in security. You don’t have to think about protecting your data because we’re always thinking about it for you. With our state-of-the-art technology, we stay ahead of any cyber threat. Tailor-made solutions. You don’t fit into a box and neither do your business needs. Our local Senior Product Advisors get to know you, your business and your pain points to offer customized solutions. Customer service has a name. When you need help, you need someone who knows you and understands your business. Our customer support team partners with you to provide expert, responsive solutions. Pricing without surprises. Say goodbye to surprise nickel and dime hidden fees and hello to transparency. Expert help with human resources. We take the unknowns out of human resource regulations, changes and complexities. With Heartland Payroll+HR, you have the tools and at-the-ready employee resources to resolve any issues so you can get back to doing business. Heartland Payroll includes: ✓ Payroll processing ✓ Time and attendance ✓ Integration services ✓ Payroll tax management ✓ Pre-employment solutions ✓ HR support ✓ ACA reporting

Heartland Payroll Details

Balance your business' time and attendance, human resources administration, tax reporting and more in one online, integrated suite. Whether you're looking for an easier way to pay employees or maintain compliance with your state's HR laws, Heartland provides payroll services to businesses large and small with our customizable solutions.

Heartland provides a comprehensive, interconnected payroll+HR solution – one that is more affordable and agile than traditional solutions. Unlike competitor’s one size fits all, Heartland tailors its payroll and HR solution to the unique needs of customers. With the ability to access employee data from any mobile device, Heartland Payroll+HR makes it easier for employers to manage payroll and tips; recruiting, hiring and onboarding new hires; managing benefits, open enrollment and much more.

Our easy-to-use, all-in-one platform is perfect for running most merchant businesses, and its reliability and security is unmatched. For added convenience, employees can clock in and out on Heartland’s POS system to track time and attendance, which makes processing employee payroll, worker’s compensation, and health insurance and 401k contributions, simpler and accurate.

As always, Heartland’s award-winning customer service means you can get payroll and HR assistance whenever you need it through a dedicated single point of contact.

Heartland Payment Systems
1997
Edmond, OK
@HeartlandHPY
4,378 employees on LinkedIn®

Heartland Payroll Reviews

Showing 117 Heartland Payroll reviews
Already have Heartland Payroll?
What do you like best?

Heartland offers an easy to use self service portal for entering time and pulling reports. The friendly Payroll Specialist Team is available when I have questions or need specific assistance with the portal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There have been a few instances where I needed time sensitive assistance and getting to the right person was a challenge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Heartland takes care of calculating the taxes, deduction amounts, filing with the local, state, and federal goverments, etc for our payroll. All I have to do is enter the time and the checks are calculated for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Automation | CRM | Digital Marketing
Response from Casey C. of Heartland Payroll

Thank you for the review, Lori!

President
What do you like best?

I compared 8 payroll companies because I run a health insurance agency and I have heard so many complaints about ADP and Paychex, that I wanted to be able to recommend a replacement. I have partnered with Joe Sperlin and we have converted three clients to your company, four if you include mine. Everyone loves having a personal rep and Isaiah has been fantastic. He makes me feel like a VIP and knows what he is doing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm mad that I didn't do this sooner. It would have saved me a lot of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you value personal and attentive service, Heartland is better than any payroll service available. I researched the top 8 payroll companies and Heartland won on 7 out of 8 categories. I'm recommending that all of my clients move to them. They don't pass along rate increases every six months, you can talk with a dedicated representative and they offer the best customer service out there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They made everything simpler. This frees up time for me to do my job. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Property Management, HR, Accounting
What do you like best?

Heartland Hire, online on-boarding for new hires is the best feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Rudeness of employees and slow response times. I dislike being able to make simple changes to employee benefits, such as changing IRA amounts or adding a recurring deduction. I usually have to contact a Heartland employee to make the change. They have software issues on a weekly basis, with little communication. We have low confidence in Heartland so we try to complete payroll a few days in advance to be certain payroll will get processed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using Heartland payroll has helped us with reporting and posting our payroll expenses, being able to break down by Department etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accounts Payable Coordinator
Real Estate
What do you like best?

I like that the customer services is fast and friendly. I do not feel like I am a bother to my specialist when I call them to ask a question. They are very knowledgeable when it come to taxes and GL accounts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only complaint i have regarding Heartland Payroll Services is that my employees are constantly being locked out of their accounts. I'm told that this is due to security measures from them not logging on for more than 30 days in a row, but they have expressed to me that they wish there was an easier way to access check stubs, especially on a mobile phone. I usually have to send a new invitation to enable self servie a few times a month due to an employee being locked out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They are an honest company and provide a great payroll service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems that i have solved with Heartland Payroll is not being hit with hidden fees or computer generated "over charges." Also, importing into Quickbooks is very easy and seems to be importing into the correct GL Accounts. We had problems with both of these issues with our previous payroll service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

VP of Operations / CTO
What do you like best?

The web interface itself is very easy and intuitive to use. More importantly....our sales rep and payroll specialist have been wonderful to work with! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Switching from Paychex I have noticed that there are a few limitations with Heartland Payroll. Switching over our BWC setup was not as easy as it could have been and 3rd party payment to courts, etc. for employee garnishments still need some work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend the payroll team at Heartland Payment Systems. As with all changes, some issues occur but our payroll team has been quick to correct any issues or find a fix to satisfy our requests. Domenic and Elizabeth have been wonderful to work with. Our team at Town Center Petroleum is very happy that we made this change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The issues I described above are being resolved with our Heartland contacts. But it should not have been as difficult as it was to get setup properly in the first place with the description of what we were looking for from the outset of this payroll provider change. The biggest benefit will be that we will have our payroll and time clocks and scheduling all together for the first time. It is not completely flowing perfectly yet for our companies but we are well on our way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that no matter who I get on the phone, they are helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. They help me to better understand my payroll needs and encourage me to learn how to better use their services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is very hard to get in touch with my specific payroll representative when I call in. I always get sent right to voicemail. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love the ability I have to problem solve on my own using the portal. The reps at Heartland have done an amazing job at helping me to figure out how to best solve my own problems without having to rely on them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

General Manager
What do you like best?

The price but you get what you pay for. There are a lot of hidden fees in the "big dollar" payroll services but at Heartland it is more of a grocery list offering. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sales guy was typical sales guy - sell and disappear. Instead of properly reviewing current offerings and putting together a plan to match current and Heartland offerings would have been simple but an additional exercise. Instead - as some sales guys do they show lowest price and build from there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Reducing overhead costs but again - be prepared for the additional headache. Really want to know Heartland - look at this survey, even this survey is overly complicated!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
What do you like best?

I love that I have a Payroll Specialist to review my payroll or to be there in case I have internet issues. But entering online makes it so much easier than hoping I'll be free when my scheduled time to call happened. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish we could make a recurring entry that happens at end of month payroll only, so I dont have to remember to enter it every other payroll. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Heartland Payroll is easy to use. I can transmit the payroll online and whenever I'm ready. I dont need to wait for a call or call back if I was busy when the call came thru. We run a tight ship here so we're on the phone or with customers whenever they pop in or call. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Only problems are mine and not Heartlands. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
What do you like best?

I love that it is very customizable. I have also been very pleased with my payroll specialist, Holly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not easy enough for my employees to get their paystubs. My husband's company uses ADP, and its employee app is amazing and very easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have at least 2 employees who are well associated with the system. I'd also recommend reaching out to your personal payroll specialist with any problems. I have found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to really break down how my guys are getting paid. We pay by footage, but we will also sometimes pay guys hourly. Generally hourly pay is not billable to customers, so I separate it for record keeping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Such fast response times 7 days a week and you could always tell my situation mattered to them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Had a great experience working with them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They helped connect me to a bank that funded our PPP loan Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heartland Payroll is user friendly and easy to use! It saves me so much time. When I get in trouble or have a complex problem, I can call a payroll specialist! They are all very knowledgeable and friendly. They get an A+ for customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Heartland Payroll. Maybe they could give 1 or 2 free questions a year, about HR. They have always been proactive, on-time and flexible. They are amazing and more personable than my last payroll. Every time I think I will run into a roadblock. Heartland comes through. They have solved every issue like payroll to accounting integration with a GL detail export report that I can upload. Every single representative is knowledgeable, quick and lovely to deal with! Thanks!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is wonderful! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Payroll time is minimal. With so many wage and labor regulations, Heartland keeps me up to date! It is easy to run payroll, make modifications, add hours, add vacation, keep track of accruals like 125 plans, 401K deductions for workers and management. I can easily change, edit and add categories. The platform is laid out beautifully and works seamlessly every time. I have never had a problem with Heartland. Keep up the good work. I love Heartland Payroll! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

I like it because I was able to get it set up quickly. Overall it has been good for what i need it for Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

too many redundant buttons makes it confusing. I also sent two emails because I had quick questions but never received a response. I don't have time to call but I can send a quick email and get a response at their leisure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy to set up and a little learning curve since the training was a video emailed to me. Had one off questions. I should not have sent an email because i did not get a response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have no clue on how to pay state or fed payroll taxes and this is the main reason i did it. There are only two employees so Heartland solved my problem but I wish the cost was a bit less since our company is so small. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
What do you like best?

I love that I have a personal representative who I can call anytime for assistance. I love that I receive reminders to process payroll. I absolutely LOVE the employee onboarding portal! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's not the easiest payroll system to learn. I wish there was an option to gross up a check from the net without having to copy the amount and paste it into the gross earnings section. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to watch the tutorials. It makes it so much easier! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am now completely secure in knowing that all of my tax rates are current/up to date. The onboarding process saves me loads of time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operations Manager
Financial Services
What do you like best?

What did I like best? Everything! My transition from another payroll company to Heartland Payroll was easy, seamless, and flawless. The attention to detail, the friendly service, and personal attention offered by Heartland far surpasses what I had grown accustom to with my previous company. I am definitely glad I made the move. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, the reports are different from what I have had before, but I am adjusting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This was this easiest change of providers and implementation I have ever experience in my 30 years of experience, well worth the effort and it's a price savings as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love that when I call in to Heartland for help I have a dedicated internal customer service individual who takes care of my account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
What do you like best?

Heartland has been a great change for us as far as payroll vendors. Josh, our local rep is responsive and helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I have a challenge it takes me a bit to figure out where to go to get it resolved. If I cannot figure it out on my own, I reach out to the support line and they help me immediately. I just generally like to figure it out on my own first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My employees can easily log into the website and see their payroll records. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President/CEO/Co-Founder
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

First of all, the sales experience was simple and genuine with Matt Rogers. What a great guy who helped me with an amazing deal. Onboarding was easy, submission is simple! Not to mention cheaper than having my CPA do this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Bad question. I don't dislike anything! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend contacting Matt Rogers for a simple, seamless and trustworthy sales process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Heartland has made payroll easy and efficient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CFO
What do you like best?

System is easy to use. The custom reporting functions is a great help in doing various financial and benefit report.. Responsiveness on questions or problems is immediate. Having a property management division the system integration with the time card reporting is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would like auto fill when entering site codes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy system to learn and use. Customer service is quick and knowledgeable. Not being a payroll specialist they make my job easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The custom reports are great when preparing various reports and benefit reporting. When questions come up on employees the data is easily and quickly accessible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AT
What do you like best?

One of the key factors for me as the controller of a company is, that our rep with HLP stays consistent. I have worked with many PR services over the past 28 yrs and Heartland Payroll is on my top two. They are easy to work with, very efficient, and online features is very user friendly. Whenever we have a concern they respond very quickly. Usually under 15 minutes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Know really. The cost is higher than other PR companies but the benefits to stay with HLP far out weighs the cost. "You get what you pay for." Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can't go wrong with Heartland Payroll. Disappointment you will not have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Employees can access their account to pull records when needed. No inflex on WC audits, love the pay as you go, so we are not hit with a huge premium. Or in a rare case get a large refund back after an audit has been done. Love that benefit! Keeping track of new AZ laws on sick pay. Employee's know what is available always. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
What do you like best?

I have used several payroll services over the years with very mixed reviews. The better ones were quite costly, and the "bargain ones" were totally worthless. Since coming to Heartland 3 years ago, I feel like I now have both. Heartland does a great job and my account rep responds very quickly to any questions I may have. I highly recommend Heartland to anyone looking for a quality payroll service! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

To date....I haven't really found anything that I didn't like. Honestly! Maybe I would like it if there were a written online training manual that I could use as a reference. That would be helpful. Other than that, I've got nothing to complain about! And trust me, I am not shy in vocalizing my opinion when a company has failed me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend giving Heartland a try. I don't think you will be disappointed! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None currently - previous issues resolved quickly and painlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

Heartland does a good job processing our biweekly payroll and submitting all the payroll taxes for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We are only on-board with Heartland for 1 year now, so hopefully it gets better, but for the first 12 months, Heartland staff made way too many mistakes processing our payroll. We are looking for an accurate payroll processor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We like that Heartland takes care of submitting all the payroll taxes for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Member/Co-Owner/Chief of Operations
What do you like best?

I like that I can get somebody on the phone/email and that they are competent and enthusiastic about helping me with my needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The user interface isn't as intuitive as it could be. There are some things that I would like to be able to adjust that I have to have a technician do for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get to know your payroll specialist. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy to use the system, more or less. Engaged customer service specialists. Accurate accounting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accounting Manager
What do you like best?

Prompt, courteous, helpful, and friendly customer service every time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, I have a hard time figuring out how to input information for employees or changing information. However, my contact at Heartland is always responsive and will do it for me, if I can't figure it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We started using Heartland when we expanded our sales force to other states. They were very helpful getting all the various state filing requirements set up and handled. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

US
What do you like best?

I like the access to all of my payroll data Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Major changes to the system being made ahead of a holiday week. Poor communication between Heartland and timekeeping systems. Slow response time to issues. Almost impossibility of getting my rep on the phone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Access to my own data; greater control over entire payroll process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Every single staff member at Heartland has been so willing to help us navigate the payroll system making the process painless and simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are no complaints that I can think of at this time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is so easy to report payroll with Heartland, ensuring that our folks are paid on-time without worry Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Heartland Payroll?

Heartland Payroll Categories on G2