BlackLine

BlackLine

Automates financial close processes to help improve controls for accounting, finance, audit, and compliance staff.

Work for BlackLine?

Learning about BlackLine?

BlackLine Reviews

Ask BlackLine a Question
Showing 240 BlackLine reviews
Mayur S.

"Easy to use - Account Certification made easier for audit compliance"

What do you like best?

Audit trail ability and different roles that user can have. And the best part is it is easy to navigate through the Blackline system due to its user friendly interface.

What do you dislike?

Report graphics - ability to change color coding. For example when I use reporting module and run the reports, I can apply all the advanced filters which is great. however, the graph that is displayed on the screen has just two colors - blue (for positive) and red (for negative) values. In case we need to see the report across 4 different business units and compare them, then the chart will be displayed in just the different shades of blue and red which is very difficult to interpret for the higher management reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Blackline is excellend cloud based solution where balance sheet accounts can be certified. This provide on e stop solution for the CFO, auditors and management to look out for reporting and compliance purpose.

Also, its easy to use functionality and automation ability can lead to greater productive results. Work with the product team for more details.

Automating account reconciliations and finance month end close. The reporting of open items, ageing profile and key risk accounts undergo regular management review. This is achieved because we can generate multiple reports and customize it as per the requirement.

This enables management to focus on key risk items and initiate discussions around critical items of provision wirte off, debtors etc.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about BlackLine
Jose B.

"One stop shop for Balance Sheet Integrity"

What do you like best?

For me the number one advantage of using Blackline is the fact that all my reconciliations are stored in one place that I can easily access from anywhere. It is nice not having to spend hours looking for a specific piece of backup.. I just log in and it is there. It is also very easy to see where the problem areas are and check whether there is an action plan in place. Blackline is a also very useful when it comes to track the performance of individual team members, most of my kpis and metrics I use on a monthly basis are based on Blackline.

What do you dislike?

I am not too impressed by the dashboards. i do not find them particularly useful. I tend to export to excel and run my own pivot tables and graphs. I would be great if the dashboards where easier to customize. Another feature that I think can be improved is Blackline University. There are tons of information in there but it can be sometimes a bit difficult to find the relevant bits of information. Also I would like to be able to see that training courses my direct reports have completed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

try it!

The number one improvement is the reduction of aged balances. Another benefit is the quality of the back up has improved dramatically. Having everything stored in the same place helps with the reviews and making sure that all balances are adequately substantiated.

What Financial Close solution do you use?

Lesley S.

"Excellent tool for streamlining account reconciliations"

What do you like best?

System has the functionalities that enables the user/approvers/reviewers to see the details of an account reconciliation. There is no shortage of comment boxes/text fields where you can add documentation to substantiate the reconciliation. In addition, the reporting tool is very useful as you can generate standard reports or even create custom reports (for all modules that you implement, not just the account reconciliation module) according to one's requirements. Recently they implemented a new homepage where you can see a dashboard with the completion status of the account reconciliations. Lastly, the tool is very easy to use and navigate, and their customer support is very prompt at responding/addressing issues.

What do you dislike?

When we deployed the system, the training materials or customer success demos are far too general. Sometimes a customer does not know what other functionalities that they system is capable of and the training materials can be enhanced to include more details. You'd have to be a little bit more resourceful and patient to look for these mentions of special functionalities in their BlackLine community.

BlackLine enabled our company to streamline account reconciliations to comply with our company policy. Additionally, the system enabled us to have a lot more visibility on the nature, aging, etc. and detect any misstatements or items that should have been written off after a certain period, and even use the tool to pinpoint the individuals that need to take action.

Tricia D.

"BlackLine Recons & Tasks Product Review"

What do you like best?

All documents can be saved in one spot and approval trail for management and auditors. Ability to delegate work and monitor status of recons and tasks completion. Reporting has greatly improved and very flexible and easy to you use. BlackLine support are very friendly and useful and available when you need them with good follow-up and tracking system.

What do you dislike?

Updates to BlackLine that do not work well or at all with our entity structure on our instance of BlackLine. Blackline conference around new products and does not spend time on older products like reconciliatioins and tasks. Would like to see more about how to improve current process being used and find more efficiencies for specific clients. Maybe annual assessments with BlackLine to review our current processes and configuration and provide suggestion for streamlining our BlackLIne procedures.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

know each product throughly before adding new products and make BlackLine Support team your friend

Audit trail, document storage, history of reconciliations, preparer/approver process flow, roles that fit the user's needs, administrator screens useful and when well documented, are help document the specific configuration set up when implemented and BlackLine U online training is excellent and updated frequently.

Daniel K.

"A Great Tool And Even More Powerful Then You May Realize"

What do you like best?

The ability to work with BlackLine to develop a solution that works best for us

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can really say we dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a program that will meet and even exceed your needs BlackLine is it. They are always willing to go the extra mile to make sure they are meeting your needs.

The ability to have a financial software that allows us to integrate all aspects of our financial reporting process, and make the process more controlled than it previously was. We have realized many benefits using BlackLine from having recons that now actually represent what truly makes up the account balances, to having recons that are now fully "locked down" after they are certified. As well as the ability to post journals directly through BlackLine and attach the journal directly to line items on the recons. BlackLine even worked with us to develop an "outside the box" solution when it came to our journal process for approvals. We have seen a significant pick up in the quality of recs and other aspects of our financial work since coming to BlackLIne

Susanna M.

"Continuous Accounting without the paper!"

What do you like best?

One stop shopping package where you can enhance controls while reducing that month end close. BlackLine's central repository provides excellent support for your internal compliance and external auditors. The streamlining of tools available to you and support from BlackLine experts make it an easy decision to transition and join this journey

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing! While everyone has a "wish list" or "wish we had that"- BlackLine is online one click away to review and respond quickly to your product needs and feedback.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This tool is State of the Art and worth the investment. The entire month end close and Corp management tools are available in this continuous accounting platform. Reduce your month end close, as we did, from 5-6 days to a 2 day close-

Centralized desk top procedures- this was important to implement cross training opportunities for our employees. Use of Groupings and auto certification allowed us to reduce our manual reconciliations by 72% globally.

Ryan B.

"Recent Implementation Transitioning to the Optimization Phase"

What do you like best?

Blackline is a powerful platform whose administration and implementation is 99% contained within the accounting and finance team. The platform is nimble and very user-friendly. Blackline provides many tools to put the true power into the hands of the users. Efficiency gains become low hanging fruit and new applications of the various tools and modules can be tested and applied constantly.

What do you dislike?

Like any new tool or system, user adoption is the main hurdle, which is only partially in the control of Blackline. There was some opportunity for improvement regarding the group training we put on with the help of our implementation consultant to drive more engagement. Also, like any software, user recommended changes/bug fixes are never implemented fast enough to the production environment.

We are solving the problem of not having a central repository for account reconciliations as well as corresponding documentation and support. We also now have a central source for close status reporting. We have also creating variance reporting in order to fulfill External Audit requests. Next, we will be trying to reduce the amount of time spent reconciling subledger systems through the use of transaction matching.

Beth B.

"Bring calm to your close chaos!"

What do you like best?

Consistency and Transparency! Blackline is the platform that can drive more meaningful reconciliations - not roll forwards! Bringing calm from the chaos - 1,000 line close task list that didn't help management see and understand the progress being made. Having the repository for policies and procedures, all in one place is a huge plus.

What do you dislike?

Haven't found something to dislike yet per se. Blackline partners with third party implementation groups - would love to see that team brought in-house for one-stop shopping!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Blackline is focused on user experience. Very logical and user friendly. Truly brings calm to a chaotic close cycle with full visibility - hours and hours of time savings and so much more value added in the reconciliations - a great platform to guide users to creating a more meaningful, value added exercise.

Shorten the close process. Gain transparency across our global locations. In my previous experience, we realized cleaner, shorter close cycles, and more robust reconciliations. I anticipate the same benefits with this implementation.

Carmen G.

"Reliable and multiple options"

What do you like best?

I really like how user firendly the system is. We never experienced any falls or problems with the software, The support team is always reponsive within minutes. System is very reliable. In my company we manily use the Account and Task Module. That has saved us time in terms of avoiding calls/time with Internal and External Audit teams, as we use BlackLine as a Repository. We do not use the Journal Function so much, but I totally recomend this system to any company. I also like the fact that you can access to Blackline outside the internal company system, so you can get connected anywhere, anytime.

What do you dislike?

I am a system admin, and sometimes I would like to be able to edit mass account seetings in an easier way. I would love to have more options to edit accounts by right clicking, for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great system to be working with Oracle. We are currenlty moving our company software from Oracle 11 to Oracle 12 and possibilities are endless

Reconciliations and SOX Controls are uploaded & certified in BL for my company and it is just so easy. Reporting has significantly improved for our Reconciliation module, we are able to focus on the R items (Required adjustments) and work thorugh them timely while we report to mangement, on time and easily., Also it is a great repository for the interal & External Audit teams, so we avoid being contacted for

samples.

Un-attributed

"Excellent Products to accelerate your close process."

What do you like best?

We started using Blackline in 2009 and we went from using Excel spreadsheet to Blackline the amount of time that we save using BlackLine is so great. We using Task management as well as Transaction matching. The efficiency that is creates is wonderful. I highly recommend this product for all aspects of the close.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot of dislike when it comes to Blackline. The only own side that I have is sometime I have a hard time find documentation that I am looking for. Also there are times when the program can be a little stubborn. There are just standard computer issues that you will have with any computer based program. But there is very little down time and the fixes are done promptly and during the right time of day.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Excellent product if this is what you are looking for you should just go for it because it is a great product that is always making great improvements and advancements in their products.

Right now I am in the process of using Blackline to create more efficiency in the amount of recons that are performed so that we do not have to offshore work. This is taking the auto certify rules and making them into some advanced rules. This will cut out recons almost by 50%

"Comprehensive, but Complicated"

What do you like best?

Blackline has a lot of great features that make it much easier to accomplish tasks that would otherwise be extremely difficult. I'll offer an example, but I don't think that should be necessary for people who read through Blackline's amazing list of features. Are reconciliations streamlined, controlled, and standardized? I would say, "absolutely, yes. They most definitely are." In fact, I have said that to my peers at multiple times. However, there's a problem: Blackline's documentation is bad. Really bad. I've never used a product with such disorganized documentation of its primary features. If you know how to do something, Blackline is really easy. If you're trying to figure out how to do something, it's basically impossible unless you've spent a lot of time researching the mechan

What do you dislike?

The documentation is really bad. It's difficult to search for how to do things. Blackline U is not easy to use; you have to go through a whole course like a child to get the one fact you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Train your users using Blackline U, but also make sure to have someone available who's intimately familiar with the system. That way you

We're looking forward to automating a lot of recs that we used to do manually.

Pablo B.

"Excellent level of control"

What do you like best?

Finally we have full visibility of all the accounts in the company. We know who is responsible to reconcile each account and ensure that each account has a person assigned to it.

It was a major internal control issue and the auditors had an easy time finding problems, now the audit reports are clean.

What do you dislike?

I wish when approving Tasks, there is a button "Certify and Next", just like the Accounts have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You need to understanding your internal Accounting structure very well in order to make the transition to BlackLine. The initial learning curve is hard, but once you cross that bridge BlackLine is simple to manage.

Electronic records is the best and strongest selling point for BlackLine. No more messy paper reconciliations, missing approvals, missing supporting documentation, missing reconciliations altogether.

"Great tool!"

What do you like best?

The tool has made the reconciliation process much easier and quicker. No more paper and excel forms. Blackline is extremely easy to work with and allows to reconcile the balances in much faster and more transparent way. There is also a great task application and variance analysis tool.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it takes long for files to upload. Also not sure why the blackline language changes to Chinese (I think) and the view is disrupted.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My recommendation is to switch to Blackline as soon as possible as this tool has shorten the reconcilaiton time in half for myself.

The biggest business problem was the Intercomany transactions. With Blackline Hub this has been solved very easily. The transactions are pretty straight-forward when correctly created and the invoices are created automatically so we do not have to prepare thousands of them manually.

Josh C.

"BlackLine"

What do you like best?

BlackLine's focus on making continuous enhancements to platform - adding new features and functionality.

Both the customer success and support teams have been great partners in helping us maximize the benefits we receive from the platform. Additionally, the platform is built in a way that allows business (accounting) users to control their own destiny with very minimal IT support.

What do you dislike?

While I like the reporting current capabilities within BlackLine, there are still some reporting features we would like added - in particular for the Transaction Matching product. Relative-date filtering is at the top of the list. Another is incorporating "if" statements into the filtering capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

BlackLine is a great partner. They are positioning themselves to provide strategic leadership to their customers for implementing best practices for the record to report process.

We automate and manage exceptions handling for many large-volume transaction flows, such as sales collection validation, cash handling/banking, and payables functions. We have increased our rate of automatic matches because of the flexibility to manage and add matching rules. The matching module makes it easy to set up new matching capabilities, which is allowing us to validate additional transaction flows at a more granular level.

Efrain R.

"Transparency and Automation driven tool "

What do you like best?

Process automation minimizing errors from users. Standardization of reconciliation processes for the entire organization. Visibility and transparency of the financial information to research and report financial data for shareholders and auditors. Blackline allows our internal and external auditors access the reconciliations minimizing emails and requests.

What do you dislike?

Application designed best for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP). Not having an ERP in place limit the amount of automated processes to be implemented.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recommended to have an ERP for better results

Having visibility of the financial data, accountants are able to research and resolve financial errors. Automation minimizing manual intervention from users and saving time. Standardization of the reconciliation process based on the company's policy has been a major improvement in our company.

Un-attributed

"Transparency at its finest!"

What do you like best?

We are currently using BlackLine Account Reconciliations and BlackLine Task Manager. Both have allowed our company the opportunity for consistency and transparency. We can more easily determine if our reconciliations and accounts are being maintained consistent with our company policies. As we have users all over the US, it is a great 'one-stop-shop' in verifying the status of all recs and tasks. BlackLine also allows our auditors (both internal and external) view-able access... which saves time all around.

What do you dislike?

It took time to get it set up properly, but that's to be expected of any project of this magnitude

BlackLine has allowed us to have all account reconciliations in ONE area in one consistent format... In the past, recs were saved all over the network in a variety of formats.

In the past, we would spend much time providing information to our auditors... now it is all viewable to them in BlackLine

Bradley C.

"Always in the Know"

What do you like best?

The live time tracking and reporting. Standardization of our recons and ability to hold staff accountable for their tasks. Great repository for one stop shopping of information.

What do you dislike?

The variance rule setups and flexibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go to their conference, drop-ins or user groups. There is a great community to help you determine if this is your best solution. And you don't have to be active to attend these.

We now can report live time on KPI's on recons and tasks. We've leveraged this for streamlining our close process. Additionally, with auditors having access to reconciliations once certified, we've reduced the number of inquiries and issues during the audit. Our recons are standardized and easily navigable. And all our information is in one space!

Herman L.

"Make your month end close better"

What do you like best?

BlackLine improves your month end close process by automating and integrating all aspects of the financial close process. With BlackLine, Continuous Accounting is within your grasp.

The software is easy to use and is continuously configurable. All of the products are integrated with one another so it is easy to automate all of your month end processes. The tool is regularly updated and the support group is excellent.

There is an annual user conference that is hands down the best I've ever attended. It is packed with great presentations and keynote speakers. They make the event fun and informative. I look forward to it every year.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about the tool. I think the user interface could use a refresh and upgrade. I know this is on the roadmap for the near future. I also feel the Atlas grid should be pushed out to all the different products.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great tool that can accelerate your accounting and finance functions to the next level. Your success with the tool will be based on your dedication to it. It is the best reconciliation/month end close tool I've used and I love it!!!

With BlackLine, the month end close process is more controlled, visible, and automated. The amount of time it takes to close is drastically improved. This allows users to spend less time reconciling and more time analyzing and adding value!

Using BlackLine has created a single place for all the reconciliation documentation. It serves as a repository for all of the reconciliations, supporting documentation, policy, purpose, and procedures. It is a one stop shop for information!

David S.

"Company-wide benefits"

What do you like best?

Blackline is extremely effective when it comes to managing numerous accounts across our business. The platform has provided us with much greater control over our various accounts, as well as enabling us to focus on specific areas, or zoom out for a wide-scale overview. Accounts can be managed on a team by team basis, which has helped to improve accountability for tasks.

Blackline allows us to use templates for specific tasks, which the platform will also handle large portions of automatically. The savings in time that this has provided have allowed our staff more opportunity to work on other tasks. The knock-on effect is improved efficiency in a number of areas of the company.

What do you dislike?

Initial implementation proved a slight challenge, with some teams taking to the platform more readily than others. Blackline provide a wide array of support avenues and documentation on their website, as well as informative and useful videos and webinar opportunities. However, I do feel that a discussion forum would be very useful for users to discuss less common problems they may have encountered, and allow for the sharing of solutions to these issues

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A fantastic platform that has sped up account management within our company, with knock-on benefits for other departments

Blackline has sped up a lot of accounting tasks, which has in turn improved efficiency through the wider company.

The deep management options have also improved accountability and led to improved team focus.

Yvette L.

"Implementation Consultant"

What do you like best?

The attribute that I like the best about Blackline is the visibility that provides to the organization. The pre-customized standard templates that users can choose from, allows user to automate task that used to take them hours to complete.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is really Nothing that I dislike about Blackline. The only thing Blackline does not do is automatically reconcile accounts for the users. Blackline is a total financial solution for organizations. I wish Blackline was around when I was a staff accountant.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your company is not using Blackline then you are doing a disservice to your organization. Get Blackline and get organized.Blackline offers great customer service and support/implementation staff. The Blackline Conference is very intuitive and interactive.

Blackline has helped organizations uncover many broken/unresolved issues within their organizations. Assisted with growth for process improvements, ERP system issues, segregation of duties, fraud, aging issues. The biggest business problems that most companies are solving with Blackline is allowing management, auditors, preparer financial visibility.

Un-attributed

"Blackline - Creating Efficiencies"

What do you like best?

Our company implemented Blackline a couple of months ago for reconciliations and are in the process of implementing for Journal Entries. We are already seeing the many efficiencies that Blackline has to offer. Some of our favorite functionalities thus far are the system certified accounts (we were coming from an outdated reconciliation system where we had to click and approve every account, regardless of balance or activity level).

What do you dislike?

The one thing that has been somewhat frustrating is trying to figure out which reconciliation template is best for each account. We want to ensure we are gaining as many efficiencies as possible and I think the template choice is a large part of this. I'm sure this will come with time and getting used to the system.

We have saved a tremendous amount of time in reviewing/approving account reconciliations. Being able to easily group accounts and review these consolidated accounts together has really cut down on the time it takes to complete monthly reconciliations.

Un-attributed

"Great Tool, Could use some Tweaks, Always Implement with a Consultant"

What do you like best?

I love having everything in one place- the recon, the journal, the support, and the approvals. It makes research so much simpler and it is so much easier to pull audit support. I am hopeful that we'll implement the matching tool soon as I think it will save us a lot of time and effort.

What do you dislike?

Unlike most software tools, Blackline doesn't present itself as a tool for which you need to hire consultant to help you implement. They explicitly say that you don't have to use a consultant. Well, maybe you don't have to have one, but unless you're already familiar with the tool and it's setup potential setting it up without one is most likely going to lead you to inefficiencies and frustration and you'll end up needing to hire one later to basically redo everything to get the efficiencies you expected.

There are a few clunky spots I would tweak, such as a certify and next feature in the JE module, having BL show the difference between the periods on the recon when a prior period is presented, etc., but these are minor improvements. I also have a lot of trouble finding/building the reports I need to pull the information out of the system, but I suspect this would have been solved by having a consultant help train us during implementation instead of trying to self implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Always implement with a consultant that is experienced with BlackLine and your current accounting system.

We are not perfectly consistent with how we document within Blackline (some users attach spreadsheets instead of building the recon, etc), but we do at least have a centralized place for all of our financial documentation that can be accessed by the group as needed which saves a good bit of back end reporting and audit question time.

Kelly M.

"Blackline Review"

What do you like best?

I really like the Account Reconciliation Amortization and Accrual templates because it does the monthly calculations for you instead of having to do it manually every month. The tasks module is great, it carries forward all my tasks and reminds me when something is due. Also, I like how Blackline can pull our data every month and we do not have to wait until the end of the month to load our data.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you cannot delete a task once it has already been certified at least once.

It saves us time when doing our account reconciliations and it keeps us on top of all our monthly tasks.

Kathleen A.

"BlackLine is a premium accounting software solution "

What do you like best?

I like that BlackLine is user friendly. I also like that BlackLine allows for complete visibility into the account reconciliation process from a management perspective. I like that I can standardize our account reconciliation process globally to ensure compliance with company policy. I also have always experienced great customer service.

What do you dislike?

The system does not fully track all changes being made and allow for reporting on this. For example, when accounts are reassigned, I cannot run a report of these changes and who made these changes. From an audit perspective, this is not ideal. As system administrator, I can make global changes and my boss can't run a report of all changes periodically to monitor. The Account Reconciliation module has come a long way but some of the other modules, such as variance analysis, are not as customizable as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Honestly, BlackLine is really the clear leader in this space. I invested a lot of time evaluating competitors at my last company prior to selecting BlackLine and it was an easy selection process.

From a controls standpoint, BlackLine enables management to monitor the account reconciliation process globally and ensure completion before filing our 10Q / 10K. The grouping of accounts and auto-population of the GL balance and standard formats have saved time in reconciliation preparation. We are currently researching other modules and features to get more benefit out of BlackLine.

CHRIS M.

"End user for almost 10 years"

What do you like best?

The recon and task dashboards provide good visibility into those close process. Given we are a global organization (100+ countries) it provides clear line of sight into reconciliations and other tasks which allow us to govern the close at remote locations. The tool does an effective job at managed certifications for SOX also and helps make the audit more transparent as our auditors just self serve themselves with requests.

What do you dislike?

There are a good number of reports but sometimes seems as though it would be easier to have one catch all report as opposed to having a variety which provide the same data elements especially with the adjustment reports. Occasionally the refreshing of the list forms requires you to restart which is annoying. Some of our users tend to use just as a data repository as opposed to a rec tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The product is easy to use and offers good visibility to govern the close. Bit pricey but worth it as long as you continually look to optimize. Good for large international companies.

Blackline has been a simple to use tool that has assisted the organization in gaining global visibility into the account rec and close task responsibilities. It has been especially useful in working through a merger of organizations as it is easy to roll them into the existing infrastructure. It has truly helped in alleviating work from staff in dealing with audit as well as SOX documentation.

Kevin G.

"Blackline Review"

What do you like best?

Organized, easy to add straight line amortizable items (Prepaids), accruals are a breeze

What do you dislike?

No supporting feature for VARIABLE spend type prepaid. Think of a software subsription that spend each month is based on usage, and varies significantly. There has got to be a way to incorporate that into the platform, outside of the straight line feature, so that each time I can just input the variable spend for the month. Currently, I have to re-create a straight line amortizing schedule, only do the current month amortization, and put all the remaining amortization in the last month so that it will work. This is updated every month, and is quite manual, defeating the purpose of utilizing blackline for that feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get more feedback directly from the customers outside of these surveys - tailor specific version for specific companies so that we better can use the product.

Lack of variable prepaid amortization support. Inability to delete an imported account once imported (say if we accidentally imported an account, instead of being able to delete, we have to set that account reconciliation to a frequency of "Never".

Kate W.

"Improved Efficiency and Visibility for Month End Close"

What do you like best?

Blackline has enabled us to review and approval journal entries in real time before they are booked in our local ledger. This includes full support for the entry as well, which has improved our process, where journal entries were reviewed with support after they already were posted.

What do you dislike?

We book a lot of journal entries with different transaction and account currencies. Since we do not have the capacity to store the daily FX rates we need in Blackline, we then have to go into our local ledger to get a true conversion rate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This has saved much time in the reconciliation and journal entry process by reducing the manual steps we were taking. For example, we manually typed in GL balances, and now it feeds directly to Blackline, and will also flag when new accounts are added to the GL. In addition, the journal entry functionality reduces many hours in hand-keying entries and reviewing paper copies of support.

The biggest benefits we realized are efficiency in booking journal entries. The prior process included hand keying in every journal entry. The journal entry templates, and journal masters will be a huge time-saver.

"Blackline Rocks"

What do you like best?

We are a global company and I can check the status of our reconciliations anytime it is needed.

What do you dislike?

When a certification checklist is added to a reconciliation is to be followed however one checked box will allow preparer to bypass remaining steps and send reconciliation for review.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try to use all the tools available from Blackline instead of piecemeal of the implementation of the products. The products drive efficiencies and allow us more time for analytics over wasting time putting together files. Also all the files are contained in a central location and are accessible anytime the are needed along with any support.

BlackLine is helping the company develop consistency with our account reconciliations. Blackline gives us the time needed to perform analysis of our accounts and drives efficiencies. We can access our information anytime and do not have to wait until our international sites are back to work. Information at your fingertips.

Un-attributed

"User of BlackLine hoping to be a lover of BlackLine"

What do you like best?

Direct feed from our accounting system of record. All recs in one place.

What do you dislike?

Dashboarding needs improvement (for monitoring at the manager/assistant controller level as well as for preparer/approvers to see the status of their teams) as well as account "Groups". We think there is a lot of benefit to be unlocked in account Groups (as we have many GL accounts and many entities -> ~1600+ accounts to rec each period), but it seems that BlackLine isn't quite there yet to realize these benefits. For example, we have grouped ~60 accounts together to be completed as a single consolidated rec but within all the views these accounts are still displayed blown out as what looks like 60 recs, and not until you click a rec can you see what is grouped. Overall the system feels a bit clunky. I think there is a lot of work to be put in to find efficiencies.

Getting all our recs done. Benefit is having all recs in one place. Not utilizing variances, and have not optimized tasks.

Un-attributed

"Makes reconciliations easy to prepare and review. "

What do you like best?

All reconciliations are saved in one location. Balances are easily updated and system tracks incomplete recons and kicks back ones with changes without manual tracking. Easy to prepare and review and can upload any backup documentation that can be viewed by anyone on the team.

What do you dislike?

That you can certify recons out of period order which can then mean decertifying later recons in order to complete a prior period one. You should be required to complete in order to avoid missing a month or potentially having to alter many months to get caught up. I also don't like that you can't dictate which periods outside auditors can view. Once you give them access to an account they have full view into all periods and associated documentation.

We are currently only using Blackline for reconciliations. But I have used the Task feature before which is very useful.

Carissa J.

"Reconciliations, Tasks, & Variance Review"

What do you like best?

This is an incredible and powerful tool for a team. It's helped isolate a lot of potential issues and has really streamlined our accounting month-end close.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it is a little ambiguous on how to use the tool better. I know the system has a ton of potential but it seems like I have to dig around a lot of ask consultants as to how to optimize our use of Blackline.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider what modules your business may need, we purchased all modules but have not had the time to implement fully.

We are finding key adjustments and it has really targetted our financials towards more accuracy and completeness.

Alicia A.

"Valuable tool to organize account reconciliations and tasks"

What do you like best?

We love having one system for all our reconciliations, the sync of our data with NetSuite and the ability to ensure all accounts are reviewed each month.

What do you dislike?

The reporting is limited and the reporting module is not very intuitive to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product for streamlining and organizing the close / reconciliation process.

Previously we performed all reconciliations in Excel which required a lot of manual preparation and no way to confirm the data in the documents matched the data in our accounting system. We have seen improved efficiency in the entire preparation and review processes each month.

Matias I.

"Using Blackline for closing events"

What do you like best?

I use Blackline mainly for maintaining closing accruals evidence and for approval of these journal entries. It's very easy to navigate and to find the past evidence in case do you need it for some audit.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system feels a little slow although maybe this issue it's from our company side.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it before you consider using it, to know if you really need this kind of tool for your daily routine.

Maitaining closing evidence, journal accruals approval.

AI
Un-attributed

"A vert strong software package"

What do you like best?

I think the variance module has huge potential. We conduct a balance sheet review using the variance module, and we set custom thresholds and when those are breached, users are automatically notified and thier analysis can be submitted quickly.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more customization options with the variance module. I would like to be able to put together the financial statements using groups, but in order to do that we would need to build in some custom logic to accommodate various accounting treatments that we utilize.

When we implemented we found holes in our ledger where accounts were not being reconciled by anyone. BlackLine easily highlights gaps in account reconciliation compliance and boosts user accountability by alerting users of items before the due date.

Bringing reconciling online streamlines over90 reporting as well.

UN
Un-attributed

"Great product for close task management and account reconciliations"

What do you like best?

The task management product is wonderful for tracking progress made against the close and also is useful for the audit. It is very helpful for tracking against timelines and ensuring that all dependent tasks are completed in specified order.

What do you dislike?

Having to change hats into different roles (example preparer and reviewer) for account reconciliations instead of having the ability to prepare and approve/review within one function.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Implement as many of their products as possible! It seems like the products really work with each other to improve efficiency so by implementing multiple products at the same time, you will get the most benefit from the product. We are kicking ourselves for not implementing more at first pass.

Streamlining and monitoring the close process, viewing account reconciliations in one central location from anywhere.

Katie N.

"Powerful but pricey"

What do you like best?

Blackline is able to knock out all of our reconciliations in record speed. With the right data, there is almost nothing it can't do, and the professional services team is able to assist you in getting your rules effectively mapped out so that they will work every time.

What do you dislike?

Implementation was somewhat slow and hands off which made it a bit more difficult. The system is very rigid and does not allow you to change your import templates without having to redo a significant amount of work but I am sure there is a reason for this.

We have mass amounts of data that requires a quick reconciliation tool and Blackline has solved this for us (we previously were using a different software that did not meet our needs). We have been given the tools and resources we need to learn how to write our own rules and reiterate our matching logic which has been helpful as our business has evolved over time.

Juliani K.

"Efficiency"

What do you like best?

Blackline can do the modification of the data logic as needed.

What do you dislike?

There's a limited featured in Daily Reconciliation

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We have been looking for automating reconciliation process. We, currently, have 49 currencies to reconcile on a daily basis. We have been seeing a couple of demo from other vendors but none of them would fit until I found Blackline. Blackline can tailor our specific needs including adding the field to the data sources.

The efficiency and standardization

AF
Un-attributed

"BlackLine System Admin User Review"

What do you like best?

How solid the system is. When users come to me with an issue, 999 times pout of 1000 it is an issue with our internal IT and not BlackLine

What do you dislike?

When implementing the matching tool I find that alot of the time we are pushed to try and use the implementation team at a cost. I feel that BlackLine should encourage companies to implement their own process and work with them to do so free of charge. This will make companies more dependent on the system, and will also reduce the fear of companies implementing the use of new modules.

Acoount reconciliation and transactional matching.

AP

"Blackline implementation"

What do you like best?

Honestly, my favorite module is the journals module. I love it for compliance and audit trail. I love how integrated all of the products are, and honestly I am most excited about auto certification and excited to implement more.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you cannot schedule automated journal entries. I wish that when someone entered a journal entry for me to approve that it would kick off an email to me letting me know. These are my only complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Work with a partner on implementation. Think through your processes and your company to make certain your implementation goes smoothly.

Better audit trail for journal entries and paperless system, faster month end close process. Move towards automation and continuous accounting.

We have solved the audit trail issue and our JE's are paperless. We have not yet achieved a faster ME close process, still a work in progress, but we are on the right track with the use of this tool.

Un-attributed

"Good things to come... I can feel it"

What do you like best?

I mean...it's an electronic reconciliation that offers full integration from pulling in data from your ERP, matching the data automatically, prepares the actual recon and creates the journal entry for you. What more can you ask for :-). Really though, my company use to run into issues trying to find reconcilations we knew we had completed but they had disappeared on someone's desk, in the trunk of someone's car, or within someone's file cabinet. It was embarrassing and created so many headaches for our financial leadership. Implementing BL has erased all of those issues. Truly wish we would have found it sooner.

What do you dislike?

We are trying to find an easier way to allow our executive management to review and certify accounts. Though our preparers reconcile accounts at a more detailed level, management views and approves accounts at a higher level. Right now, there isn't a very easy way to make this happen and it is a very common request amoungst our subsidiaries.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep Blackline or what ever company you used to implement the product engaged even after the product is live. In order to get the full engagement of the tool being on live is only a small piece of it. Fully utilization takes on a different picture from the initial "sale' and even from the training sessions and what you read on Blackline U. After a few months of utilization, definitely go back and cover what you liked, didn't like and address what needs to change with a consulting team in order to keep the change momentum going.

Primarily lost/missing reconcilations and establishing proof and record of review. As far as benefits, we are able to allow access for our auditors without them constantly emailing us for account recon records.

EC
Un-attributed

"Excellent product to help streamline processes"

What do you like best?

I like the breadth of opportunity there is to streamline the accounting functions using this tool. Having an opportunity to implement the modules one-by-one or in an integrated fashion is helpful. As we start to master one function, we can add on to the process.

What do you dislike?

It feels like there should be a little more integration between Reconciliations and Tasks or Variance and Reconciliations. It seems that there are some issues in trying to work these tools together. In addition, I did not like the implementation process with Blackline specifically - it seems to be a nickel and dime approach - charging for every little task that is done.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your homework! Research your options around the implementation - partner vs. Blackline very well. Manage your expectations internally and recognize that it is a journey that is long to implement the full suite of the solution and drive adoption.

Time it takes to close, Visibility to account reconciliations and reconciling items, management of close tasks to identify opportunities to streamline. To date, we haven't recognized a whole lot of tangible benefits yet.

Joshua H.

"Gets the job done, but maybe overkill for most companies"

What do you like best?

It can scale with my needs, specifically my company went international with multiple currencies and subsidiaries

What do you dislike?

The interface is not especially intuitive or easy on the eyes

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Study up on use of the system, having at least one "super user" who really understands the product and implications of settings.

Period close management (tasks) and account reconciliations needed for a public company. We can check off those boxes!

AE
Un-attributed

"Automation, accountability and accuracy fo the financial close process"

What do you like best?

The best thing that I like about Blackline is the ability to fully automate mundane financial close tasks and also providing the flexibility to tailor the system to fit to the control environment of the organization. This enables to free up resources so that their talent can be utilized for bigger, better projects with higher value.

What do you dislike?

The only think I dislike about Blackline is that it does not interface with some of the smaller ERP systems. The configuration to do so can be cost prohibitive. Secondly, the pricing of some of the modules can only be afforded by larger corporations with deep pockets. Blackline is not a tool that can be an economic solution for small businesses simply due to the costs involved in implementing and maintaining it.

Automation, accountability and accuracy fo the financial close process

Serenity C.

"Continuous Accounting"

What do you like best?

Blackline works to make the closing and reconciliation process seamless. It is easy to manage, implement and keeps making software ready for the future needs.

What do you dislike?

It would make the software better if the modules all worked together. The matching module doesn't feel into or from the other pieces. The Variance Module still needs some work.

We have streamlined our Reconciliation and Closing process. We use it with the auditors to make it a clear and open process

Walter L.

"Streamline Month-End Close!"

What do you like best?

Blackline puts all your account reconciliations in one place that is easy to access from work or at home. It keeps everyone in the loop, including preparers, approvers, and reviewers. I wish we used Blackline from inception. Blackline also offers task reminders by Close Day, which is helpful to stay organized.

What do you dislike?

Blackline account balances update once a day in the middle of the night. This causes completion of account reconciliations to be delayed one day. Preparers cannot add tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make it easier to modify tasks.

Blackline improved the month-end process by getting employees and managers on the same page and by clearly hosting everything in an easy-to-read format.

Un-attributed

"Blackline is the Benz of all reconciliation tool and month end tool"

What do you like best?

What I like best is how Blackline has revolutionize how reconciliation is done as well as the entire month end processes. I am especially interested in the implementing the match module to further automate the reconciliation process. My goal is to automate the reconciliation process by the end of 2018 to 90% or more.

What do you dislike?

I wish the videos were more detail and targeted. The videos are not detail enough to give users a thorough understanding of what the tool has to offer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I will most certainly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a tool that are looking to improve their month end, reconciliation, accounting and SOX control processes. The tool is robust enough to handle just about all accounting functions. This tool will allow your analysis to spend more time analyzing the data which is where the attention should be.

Timely reconciliation with the incorporation of email notification. One of the benefits that was quickly realized is how easy it is to managed tool. By implementing the matching and the task modules, I am expecting even greater benefits. Also, I am very interested in the SOX control module that Blackline has to offer. However, this will be a 2019 project.

IO
Un-attributed

"Improve Balance Sheet Quality and reduce Finance Compliance Cost"

What do you like best?

Ability to maintain Balance Sheet integrity

Ease of store of all supporting details in one platform rather than offline emails/excel files

Cloud based solution avoid the need to deploy the tool to the end users in their laptops. This also accelerate the time to deploy the tool to the end users.

Enhanced Reporting features for various levels of the organization.

The commitment on the upgrade and enhancements of the Blackline Software to meet future reporting requirements.

Ease of use of the tool for the end users without extensive training

Large user community of Blackline and the support from the vendor.

What do you dislike?

Initial teething issues to get the configurations done properly and users trained

Additional resources to manage the system administration, maintenance and support (though the benefits are higher than the cost)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use of standard tools helps to automate the process and reduce the cost of compliance

Single Platform across the organization to manage Balance Sheet Notes.

A solution that is tightly integrated with SAP/Simple Finance

Cloud based solution that is easier to use for end users

Benefits includes streamlined financial reporting process and standardized balance sheet review and reconciliation process that provides confidence on the quality of the balance sheet to the top management. The audit cost is significantly reduced due to reduction in the time to complete the Audit, thanks to the established Balance Sheet reconciliation process enterprise wide.

AR
Un-attributed

"By far the Best Reconciliation tool in the market"

What do you like best?

Blackline has most engaging user groups, customer service and constantly evolving Reconciliation tool. I like the Altas grid feature, which makes it easy to search and locate relevant records.Blackline has come up with advanced analytics which can be leveraged to derive business insights.Blackline has training videos embedded in the software which is handy.

What do you dislike?

Application program interfaces for major Enterprise Resource Planning tools like Oracle, SAP are not yet available. In the recent blackline user group, blackline reiterated that they will be relasing ready to use API's soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Participate in Blackline user groups, community forums, trainings. The more engaged you are the more value you can derive from the software.

Before Blackline, 7 members in our finance team used to work on Reconciliation for 5 days. Now with Blackline 2 members could do reconciliation effectively in 2 days. It increased our effectiveness and finance users satisfaction. Auditors love the tool too. We could answer auditors questions faster with relevant documentation.

ER
Un-attributed

"Outstanding Reconciliation product with fast to implement with quality results."

What do you like best?

Open & direct with the customer on the Recon capabilities. There are ways of reconciling on various levels if this is necessary. Outstanding Reconciliation product with fast to implement with quality results.

What do you dislike?

Standard across all customers which is an oxymoron; it's a good thing as well.

When discovering a bug, it took a while for Blackline to get to acknowledge the problem. Once acknowledge, they are on the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

1. Listen closely to Blackline.

2. Start early with your firm processes (Architecture approvals, security / sox approvals / grp purchasing processes etc.)

We have 40+ systems that are integrated in a legacy system that requires reconciliation. Consistent ease of use. Insecurity easy to configure.