AWS Directory Service

AWS Directory Service is a service that setup and run Microsoft Active Directory (AD) in the AWS cloud, or connect AWS resources with an existing on-premises Microsoft Active Directory and can use it to manage users and groups, provide single sign-on to applications and services, create and apply group policy, domain join Amazon EC2 instances, as well as simplify the deployment and management of cloud-based Linux and Microsoft Windows workloads.

Work for AWS Directory Service?

Learning about AWS Directory Service?

AWS Directory Service Reviews

Showing 18 AWS Directory Service reviews
AWS Directory Service review by User in Higher Education

"The Amazing Directory"

What do you like best?

The most interesting point is That This directory can be abled to interchange the data information added on administrative data of the cloud .Because in this way I can organize my employees, my groups of job, and devices which I have to administrate. On this idea order I can give different kind of jobs to my employees.

What do you dislike?

I do not see easy the infrastructure of the platform when I was just a beginner. Also It has some limitations at be used

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best way to organize your work on any office and as a head of a big group of secretaries , I think It is one of the best service that I have worked. My recommendation is to get It because It is amazing and efficient

I really recommed this directory because people simplify the activities that they administrate on their office. And this is the correct service for your business activities

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about AWS Directory Service
AWS Directory Service review by Alfonso A.
Alfonso A.

"Decentralized Directory Delivers Desireable Developments"

What do you like best?

AWS Active directory provides a simple way to setup directory services for users/clients at remote sites and manage the directory without much hassle. Being able to manage users and objects from anywhere in the world with an internet connection without having to worry about VPNs, network outage at the site that is using the directory, or any other scenario makes things a lot less complicated.

What do you dislike?

From my experience, it doesn't seem like there is much customization in terms of performance. There is a limit to the number of users and objects that AWD Directory Services provides; however, in my use cases implementing it the hard limit never came to be an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test the waters and try out other services that offer hosted directories, and make an informed decision. AWS Directory Services is a great service, but I don't see it being ideal for every single use-case, so make your decision having done adequate research.

With many clients having remote offices, AWS Directory Services provides an easy way to keep remote workers connected. Some of the clients that I have implemented AWS Directory Services for have the only regret of having not started using it sooner. The operating expense versus the capital expense of having an on-site server is especially a no-brainer for cash-strapped startups, or any business that wants to keep from having to plan out massive expenses every few years keeping a necessary service running.

What Privileged Access Management solution do you use?

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator

"The AWS directory service has been a good alternative for us"

What do you like best?

AWS has enabled us to run Microsoft AD with the Amazon Cloud Service. Its been a great tool to extend our existing domains to one software program. It also has a good simple infrastructure to manage the whole service. We have a few team members working with this and it was an easy set-up process. It also allows us to see the workloads quickly and simply.

What do you dislike?

From our experience, it does not allow us much customization. There also is a limited number of users that have access. There are so many features, which is amazing, but also makes it a bit confusing at times.

Now we can manage the Active Directory from the cloud, which is a HUGE benefit. We can access it from anywhere and not worry about the user access. We can also manage all groups from 1 location.

AWS Directory Service review by User in Computer Software

"Review"

What do you like best?

Overall It's a great product. Learned how to use this product from the current company from my boss and it wasn't hard to learn it.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of room for customization. That often can be frustrating, especially for the first timers. Although it's not the products fault, when there is a bad Internet connection in the office, it was hard to login to the directory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every company is different. There are all kinds of products out there. I learned this product after I joined the current firm. While this product seems to be working very well for my company and I have zero complaints. Ultimately, each company has to decide what's good for them.

Managing the Active Directory on the cloud. For me and my company, it's easy accessibility to the Active Directory from other regions.

AWS Directory Service review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"AD in THE CLOUD"

What do you like best?

It allows and enables an IT administrator to run Microsoft AD in the public cloud, easing setup of user and group data and giving an end user access to cloud services.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of features available with this product choosing the right one for you can be hard at times. Also setting it up for MAC OS can be hard as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not have any recommendations to add at this time. I think that the product is headed in the right direction.

It makes giving permission and access to users in the cloud very easy for the IT administrator.

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator

"Flexible and Dead Simple"

What do you like best?

AWS Directory Service is extremely easy to set up, but remains an extremely flexible product, allowing you to interface with it both from Cloud Services and using native protocols (LDAP), and giving you the ability to extend its functionality as you would any other directory.

What do you dislike?

Not much - it has worked very well so far.

Simple user management for a variety of services, IAM, and testing our various AWS technologies. It has made the process of managing user accounts for these services extremely easy.

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator in Computer Networking
Administrator in Computer Networking

"AWS review"

What do you like best?

Overall experience has been wonderful. Ease of use and availability.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of features available, to chose which one you need is cumbersome at times.

To manage the Active Directory from the cloud. Now since it's in the cloud, it is accessible even from another continent, which is by far the most beneficial thing according to me.

AWS Directory Service review by Erika S.
Erika S.

"Encompasses all of the software solutions we need in one place."

What do you like best?

Helps with efficiency, speed and reliability. Allows for easier and more organised deployments.

What do you dislike?

Interface could be more intuitive i.e. more user friendly

Allows our team to automate manual tasks as well as show new team members that they have a good support tool to utilise.

AWS Directory Service review by Lerida R.
Lerida R.

"Review"

What do you like best?

Like the ablity to quick.y configure an AD environment without having to stand up EC2 instances

What do you dislike?

Limited on things that can be done vs. native items with EC2 AD.

Authentication for our users in the cloud

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator

"I've used it in several AWS account and region and had no issues with it so far"

What do you like best?

In my experience working with this, this is stable and reliable. We use it to as connectors (AD connector) to link the corporate domains to AWS. One thing I like is it is easy to setup, even the automation is easy.

What do you dislike?

At times, the config file used to setup is sometimes too immature and limited. I wish it will support more defined or customizability when setting up connectors.

link the corporate domains to AWS

AWS Directory Service review by Shahbaz Z.
Shahbaz Z.

"Managed AD Services"

What do you like best?

Managed AD services with minimum effort.

What do you dislike?

Managed DNS and route 53 need to be aligned. Two way trust between on-prem and managed AD require for most of the AWS services

Integrating with on-prem AD

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Active Directory"

What do you like best?

The best part is to have 3 options that helps customers choose the right option that would help their situation.

What do you dislike?

Its really hard to setup client to access AWS microsoft AD service. At least for the first time when we setup the service, it was hard to find documentation to setup client to access the AD as a service platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NA

Local authentication for applications hosted in AWS Cloud.

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator

"Review of AWS Directory Service"

What do you like best?

AWS handles the complexity and presents you with just the directory tools that you need to manage your directory. It's extremely quick and simple to get started, whereas deploying an on-premises domain service is very time consuming and complicated.

What do you dislike?

Some advanced functionality that exists in a traditional on-prem domain is not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Delivers exactly what you expect it should. Very easy to setup and use.

Centralised user management.

AWS Directory Service review by Administrator

"Great simple AD service"

What do you like best?

We use Simple AD and it was extremely quick and easy to set up and utilize. The deployment takes under 15 minutes and it was up and running.

What do you dislike?

I didn't run into any issues with the service.

I'm using it to resolve internal DNS IPs for a VPC peered service. I'm now able to use it with conditional forwarders to resolve the internal IPs of said service.

AWS Directory Service review by User in Computer Software

"Not as easy as anticipated"

What do you like best?

I think that AWS is a great platform and is very flexible. No matter the size of my project, I know that it will have an option.

What do you dislike?

I don't think it's very user-friendly. Coming in as a beginner was very confusing and I couldn't find information on what I should use for my specific needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go with Azure

Trying to have something on the cloud that is easily accessible by the entire team

AWS Directory Service review by User

"Great Services for storing files"

What do you like best?

I really like that it is easy to use and very quick.

What do you dislike?

That when using Amazon glacier, there is no sort of GUI for Mac OS. There is a way to do it but it is too complicated.

Storing old archived files and saving space on our servers.

AWS Directory Service review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Simplify your IT management with AWS Directory Service"

What do you like best?

Ease of setup and maintenance and the ability to scale

What do you dislike?

Not able to name snapshots so managing them can be challenging

Set an users and groups and manage them from one central location and use across set of EC2 instances

"Works S advertised "

What do you like best?

Alerts when issues arise and we’ve had no issues

What do you dislike?

Backups are not very long can’t restore from 30 days ago

Auto for services

Learning about AWS Directory Service?

* We monitor all AWS Directory Service reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.