AutoCAD LT

Speed design documentation with the 2D drafting tools of AutoCAD LT software.

Work for AutoCAD LT?

Learning about AutoCAD LT?

AutoCAD LT Reviews

Showing 130 AutoCAD LT reviews
Paul L.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about AutoCAD LT
Sol C.

"Professional grade drafting on a budget"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is the paired down version of AutoCAD, however, it offers a surprisingly rich feature set. With the exception of 3D drafting, you have a full featured drafting system with AutoCAD LT that allows you to collaborate and work with full version AutoCAD users. At less than half the price of it's bigger brother, it's a bargain.

What do you dislike?

I really wish that AutoCAD LT came with AutoCAD Express Tools. This would be very helpful for the purpose of creating dynamic blocks. I was also surprised by the limited amount of parameters that can be edited in the Properties Inspector. For example, if you draw a line that is 10" long and then you decide that you would rather it be 12" long, you can't just simply type in 12" next to the "Length" parameter in the Properties Inspector. It's actually greyed out. So then I'm limited to either extending the existing line by 2" or deleting the 10" line and drawing it all over again at the desired length. I understand Autodesk wants to encourage people to upgrade, but on a fundamentally basic feature such as typing parameters into the property inspector, this hindrance seems slightly excessive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need any 3D drafting functionality whatsoever, be sure to upgrade to full AutoCAD.

I'm able to use AutoCAD LT to clearly articulate complex designs in the form of plan layouts, room elevations, and block diagrams. I'm also able to download CAD drawings from the architects I work with and make the necessary mark-ups and revisions.

Since I'm working in the realm of design, I'm able to model an entire system design in the AutoCAD environment before even specifying any equipment. I can model a design and discover system shortcomings or incompatibilities in AutoCAD before I've settled on which components are going to be specified. This saves time and money.

What General-Purpose CAD solution do you use?

Jonathan G.

"Autocad LT"

What do you like best?

It works just like the autocad I always knew. It cut's paste's and trims and what I use CAD for. I believe if you're going to go all out and use 3D you would use other software but for 2D drawings this gets the job done. However, it does open up 3D drawings but you can't edit it I believe. I think its a great product to open most consultant drawings that still use CAD

What do you dislike?

I dont like the fact that it has so many buttons and options. It would be nice it if was simplified like other software but it there is just too much control and customization that if one doesnt know what theyre doing printing can be difficult. Also the black background would be nice it wasnt so monotone

Recommendations to others considering the product:

combine with other software to do what you need

I use it to underlay background drawings

Mayank C.

"BESTEST DRAFTING SOFTWARE - FOUNDATION OF DRAFTING"

What do you like best?

I like all the features like drafting, editing and dimensioning of drawing, Also like improved user interface in earlier versions, Move and Copy commands are my favourite also its shortcuts, I like the new selection method they are improved in earlier versions, Also new commands they are improved in earlier versions after 2015 like "-dimstyle" etc., I like its compactness as you can run it in very lower configuration of computer system, I like its speed during swich over command steps as experts can finis their work within a miniuts if they want to complete it, I like its pricing which is as cheap as current available softwares in market, I like its user interface which is coomfirtable to all the designers..

What do you dislike?

I dislike that they are removed AUTOCAD CLASSIC workspace from versions higher than 2015,but no need to worry we can insert it manually in it..

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have recommend this softwares to those who are beginners in design fields, Those business men who are beginners in small level manufactureres because it is cheapest software for small level firms and a very usefull for design, detaling and drafting applications..

Every detailing problem of my job i have solved with Autocad LT, The benefits i have realized that it is cheaper software for small industries which have only drafting work, Also i can give same output as like as AUTOCAD full version if we have not any requirements of 3d modeling..

Libio L.

"Excellent digitizer"

What do you like best?

It allows me to digitize plans quickly and safely, I can identify each element on the plane by creating its attributes individually. I can also associate the information with an existing database. Your final product is generally compatible with other CAD programs. For the cartographic production it is excellent, since I can easily manipulate all the symbols and regroup them on the map individually. I can create geometric figures keeping the independence between them. When I digitize maps I can differentiate each of the cartographic elements, I can digitize them with satellite images and with maps. I can use database and associate it with the elements of the map without altering the information. From the digitized data and the attributive information I can produce cartographic maps with excellent marginal information and complying with the basic norms for the creation of cartographic maps and plans at scales of anything that one wants to represent, such as pipes, houses, shopping centers, buildings, etc.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of memory on the computer for processing. The acquisition of the license is very expensive. It is portable to us. High performance computers are required to work comfortably. It does not allow the georeferencing of satellite images.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is easy to use and allows you to interact with the different elements for the production of cartographic and thematic information.

You can create maps for decision making

You can generate building plans quickly, in the same way you can design the plans of the houses complying with the established standards.

Generate scale plans for decision making regarding the creation of adequate housing.

Aubrey A.

"The best combination of simplicity and robust features that allow to develop better designs."

What do you like best?

The simplicity for the creation of 2D drawings of AutoCAD LT is its strong point. It has simple and very effective features to achieve a better integration with different kinds of designs. We managed to establish a lot of confidence with various features of AutoCAD LT thanks to its simple to be able to execute innovative designs in a short time.

What do you dislike?

The creation of 2D drawings designs in a short time and with very professional designs is the reason AutoCAD LT does not have very large defects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AutoCAD LT is perfect to make 2D designs and to make changes to designs in a short time and very easily. I recommend it 100%.

The utility of AutoCAD LT is insurmountable thanks to the fact that we can make 2D designs in a professional way and very easily. We can also make changes when we want and without major inconveniences as it happened before the implementation of AutoCAD LT.

Nagabhushan S.

"Autocad Lt is less complex and quicker too operate"

What do you like best?

Software is smoother and faster to operate, its mainly a 2D drawing program. Its very simple to use from creating complex multi-layered drawings to simple figures with the ability to drop in pictures.

What do you dislike?

Solution limited to 2D design, little customization, the high level programming of the full application is not available. This is not Autocad capable of drawing 3D, this is specifically a 2D drafting software

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Perfect for drafting in 2D, for fraction of cost of a full Autocad subscription.

Autocad LT hands down the most accurate, quickest to draw with and most likely to be compatible with everything else

Jason L.

"Very good 2D drawing software, a must have to communicate with other professionals"

What do you like best?

Lot of tools, lot of options, pretty easy to use. Possibility to draw very detailed plans. One of the best 2D softwares for architecture and construction tasks

What do you dislike?

It's very hard to find any answer on any very specific problem you might encounter using this software. But there are a lot of forums on the internet so you're most likely to have at least another person that was able to solve your problem, but it's usually not the best way to solve it. It would need more administrator providing solutions.

It might need some time to understand that what you see isn't what you print (talking about colors, line thickness,...).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Spend a lot of time on forums, this is where you're gonna find the answers to your questions. The help section of the software is hard to navigate with and if you have a specific question, you might have a hard time finding the answer with the support. People discuss a lot about it as it's one of the most used softwares in the world in architecture, construction or urban planning.

Fast consultations with construction firms, reviewing, publishing and drawing plans is easy

Jennifer B.

"Head of the pack in CAD software "

What do you like best?

I like that I can create professional drafted documents quickly. I set up templates with all my layers set and layout sheets ready to go. Everytime I start a new drawing, I can just open up a template and it's all ready to go. I also love the different plot styles I can create to customize what certain colors and lines look like.

What do you dislike?

I think the hatch feature needs some tweaking. Often times the program won't hatch, thinking my lines don't meet up when in fact they do. Sometimes the dimension lines can interfere with the hatch reading the lines correctly.

AutoCAD LT allows me to draft elevations and floor plans, construction documents, electrical plans, and detail drawings. Our contractors use the drawings in order to build to our specifications.

Martyn J.

"AutoCAD LT "

What do you like best?

I have used LT at a start-up company, and I have used it at an older, small company. This is a less expensive way to get the power of AutoCAD. Great for 2D drafting. You can still attach and import a .pdf. LT does not have a Data Extraction Wizard. However, the data in the attribute can be edited or extracted easily.

What do you dislike?

This does not get you 3D Modeling. Geometrically driven drawings and visualization would need to be done on a different program. No AutoLISP (LSP). Minimal Express tools (no API's).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Know your needs. If you are not 3D modeling, and just doing plans and elevations, this might be all you need. Customitation is limited compared to full.

With the dimensionally driven 2D platform, you can create Plans and Elevations to build from.

C

"Autocad LT is an amazing software for drafting 2D drawings"

What do you like best?

Auto CAD LT is best soft available in market for construction industries , I like the Most is drafting of MEPF Drawings , which is very helpful and saving lot of times, mainly used for co-ordination and preparation of 2D shop drawings for my projects, LT Version is Available for free for student is good part,

What do you dislike?

I feel no disadvantages about the software , We can work fast once we know the command properly .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I Strongly recommend the AutoCAD LT for those who are looking for Drafting in construction Industries.

Auto CAD LT is big time saver in construction Design industries , we can produce lot of drawings in lesser time using CAD, Easy for co-ordination ,

"Light 2D User"

What do you like best?

Fairly intuitive and user friendly, highly accurate and useful for 2D purposes I use it for. Autodesk help is very user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

Shortcuts and hot keys are not intuitive or easy to figure out, would need an in-person session or cheat-sheet to learn how to keep using one function continuously instead of having to constantly click back to activate it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely check out online tutorials and use the Autodesk help function. An experienced user can help get you going but the best way to learn is by playing with the program, you'll get very familiar quickly.

Helps determine floor layouts to determine sales capacity and maintain fire and life-safety codes. My role being a user allows us to make changes faster than sending out to a drafter.

"AutoCAD have been great for years"

What do you like best?

I like how AutoCAD evolved from many years back. When I started using ACAD when it was released 14, it still looks the same but 'upgraded'. Still easy to use and layout is almost the same. More functions available.

What do you dislike?

ACAD still crashes once in a while. Sometimes opening files can be a hassle due to this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the best way to go if you are not an expert yet or you only do minimal CAD work. Getting the full version is great but LT version still work and more than enough to get the work done.

ease of use when it comes to designing engineering sites. Benefits would be other competitor have the same program where we can work on them and take over work.

Jacquelyne H.

"Excellent program for landscape, layout designers"

What do you like best?

The price point for the functionality is excellent- less than $400/year for the program. I highly recommend taking advantage of the trial periods they offer before committing to purchasing the software.

What do you dislike?

Some less common functions aren't included in this lite version, such as "Burst". However, it works well enough that I haven't had any complaints. Those needing 3D functionality might need to spring for the full version though

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I always tell people to make sure to use the trial version before committing to the software to make sure it provides all the functionality you need for your business.

It allows me to turn projects and changes around quickly, and allows me to estimate the amounts needed for projects quickly and easily.

Jonathan A.

"AutoCAD LT is the best design software available and its customizability is unmatched."

What do you like best?

Having the ability to customize tool palettes in order to isolate only the tools I need for my profession is an extremely helpful additive in a software which may initially be overwhelming to a new user. Additionally, one can simply begin typing a desired command in order to access quickly that which is needed, as opposed to attempting to find such tools or options elsewhere.

What do you dislike?

Having given the positives in the way I have chosen, I would still like to say that it takes a good amount of time to become comfortable with LT. The tools' uses may become overwhelming at times. Like most items in life, practice makes perfect, I suppose.

The ablility to quickly generate drawings through quick-access tools and the ability to convert these drawings to PDF seamlessly have allowed me to become very time-efficient in an increasingly busy market.

Karen Z.

"AutoCAD Lt Review"

What do you like best?

For the most part, it acts and feels like the full version. You can import PDF underlays as well as use the Bing Geo locate maps. The hot key commands are helpful to work efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the LT version will freeze the computer after so many layers are added. This can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The LT version works well for most projects. Would recommend the LT version over the full version.

We use this for building footprints, land plot surveys, and in our environmental consulting projects. We are able to make professional maps and drawings to effectively portray our work.

Jesse B.

"AutoCAD Review"

What do you like best?

The best thing about AutoCAD is how easy and simple the basics are to coordinate. The commands are pretty intuitive and easy to use. Isometric views are pretty simple to use and really allow for a lot more clarity of the details and views. AutoCAD is also very compatible and easy to share and copy to different applications such as excel or PDF files.

What do you dislike?

What hardest part about AutoCAD is the difficulty of the more technical commands. I find it quite a bit more difficult to draw isometric or 3D drawings. A few commands are difficult to coordinate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be careful with older versions of the product. Often when you save the formats they need to be saved in an older format so others can open the files.

We are designing thermometry for refinery plants, and use AutoCAD to draw out vessels, assemblies, and layouts. We use everything from simple 1D drawings to 3D views on inventor. The clarity is great and the visual affects you get are very helpful seeing how pieces go together.

User in Construction

"Perfect for presentation "

What do you like best?

It helps me a lot on my work, you can easily make template for your daily used of this product and it has a function of layering , this helps you to hide and show the only things you need before you print your file, And its yearly cost is appreciable but I recommend before planning to purchase it , Try its trial first.

What do you dislike?

It consumes a lot of memory on processing it on your computer. The acquisition of the license is very expensive. It is portable to us. High performance computers are required to work comfortably. so try upgrading your computer first before purchasing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

its your best option for making 2D detailed plans and you can easily put everything that your brain tells you to put in to it.

Josh H.

"Still the leader..."

What do you like best?

AutoCAD is so well known withing the drafting/drawing community that it maintains it's presence as a leader. We do primarily 2D drawings as we are a gasket cutter and our cutting tables use .dxf files for geometry. Although the interface keeps changing there's always something familiar about it, and typically all the old tips and tricks still work to this day.

What do you dislike?

If I had to throw one knock to Autodesk as a whole it would be the way they structure pricing of their products. I mean, they can pretty much do whatever they want, but when there are free products out there that their competitors are handing out, they need to consider how much they can really price a 2D product for.

We do about 85% of our CAD work in AutoCAD LT. It's just perfectly suited for what we do, and we know that we're using a product that creates the files we need, natively.

UA
User in Architecture & Planning

"The best progression from using a drawing board of the CAD packages I've used"

What do you like best?

The versatility of this software: having come back to using AutoCAD LT over the last 9 months, it felt very quickly like I'd never been away! My professional experience in architecture started almost 2 decades ago, at a time when most architectural workflows straddled both drawing board and computer screen. AutoCAD, for me, was an ideal extension of a drawing board experience: I still feel like the experience can be the closest to that for me. There is the added advantage, of course (as with most CAD software) to layer, group and categorise drawing elements (lines primarily) for ease of management. But going back to the versatility of AutoCAD; a middleweight - power user can come back to using the program and find 95% of the principles they used to draw 5-10 years ago are still present, hence their method of drafting need not alter too much. At the same time, the progression to the newer tools feels intuitive and not at all complicated to pick up.

For employers, the ubiquity of AutoCAD is possibly its biggest selling point. Even in a software battleground that has programs such as Revit and ArchiCAD offering richer, more complex building design tools, the DWG is the de facto format in AEC. I don't have the figures to hand, but the percentage of architectural professionals that have AutoCAD experience must be staggeringly high. Even in those instances where a new starter has not got the experience to 'hit the ground running', there is such a wealth of tutorials and forum pages on using AutoCAD that the Autodesk help system is not under an extreme amount of pressure to get you out of a jam (incidentally, I have found the Autodesk help and forum site(s) to be extemely effective.

What do you dislike?

The version currently in use in our practice is AutoCAD LT for Mac. It felt at times like this version of the software feels was fighting you in what you want to achieve, although I am coming round to the thinking that this was nothing more than teething problems getting acquainted with the (rekindled) MacOS relationship with AutoCAD.

Not that this is a major criticism, but LT obviously does not have the depth of database functionality that full AutoCAD has: this means that when blocks have embedded attributes, this information cannot be extracted to, or be manipulated using Excel. The functionality of the block authoring software is also limited, but the facility to add parameters and actions to block for dynamic authoring exists. Customising the workspace is still possible: as a native PC user that is trying desperately not be biased, this customisation seems much more flexible on Windows. That said, the same comparison could be made between PC and Mac in most instances, with Apple backing themselves to give you the optimum experience and having their loyal subjects adhere to

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fully explore the benefits of full version ofAutoCAD vs. the cost of LT. In some instances it may actually be worthwhile to your outfit to have the full version, if its various efficiencies can save all-important time / resource on a project.

Similarly, if you are looking at purchasing the full version, it goes without saying to check that LT does not do all the things you are looking for!

The dynamic block authoring ability that is included in LT has allowed me to create a library of flexible blocks that can each be used in a number of situations, rather than, for example, discrete window blocks for each size of window.

Michael C.

"Great for what it is"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is a great 2D product. As noted by the LT in the name this is a very lite version of AutoCAD. If you are looking for very basic design and presentation than this is for you. The learning tools are great and it included a VERY large manual to help with the learning while offline as well.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could make more changes and link to various Auto Desk Exchange Apps. I know it is a lite product but I would purchase the exchange apps and only use them with 2D CADs. Also a single license can be a pain if you use multiple computer stations throughout the day.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you are only wanting to work with 2D basic drawings. AutoCAD may be better if you even think you may one day want to get into 3D.

I am able to do easy 2D drawings much quicker than when we used to us Excel to do it. Yes I said Excel. I am able to create pieces that i use over and over again once and just insert into the CAD.

"Autocad is a very complet tool to work in the engineeing world"

What do you like best?

The best thing for me is the number of tools. You can do a lot of diferent things. Also I like so much the option of the LAYERS because in this way you can imagine the totally on the project or design on other project. It's better to avoid mistakes with de scale.

What do you dislike?

If you need to work in a 3D vision is not the best tool.For example if you have to design a piece, it is difficult to take a vision in all dimensions. In this way I think Autocad might has more tools like extrusion

Recommendations to others considering the product:

3D vision.

I work in the railroad department and it is a good tool to know if the measurements of the project are right. I like because you can take a global vision of the project and work on this platform to have some modifications if is necessary.

Jacob J.

"AutoCAD LT - Light CAD Software for a Light Purpose"

What do you like best?

It is cost effective and provides a little bit more functionality than just a standard free viewer.

What do you dislike?

The fact that for most purposes eDrawings is a freely available solution that does a lot of the same things.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It may be worth it to evaluate whether or not you can get by with using a free software such as eDrawings. If you need just a little bit more functionality then AutoCAD LT may be the next solution to attempt for the price.

We had a need for a light CAD software that was able to provide analyzing capabilities for DXF/DWG files. We was able to implement AutoCAD LT for the light user so that he could analyze his own files without the need to borrow time from the heavy CAD users. As one of the heavy CAD users with experience in multiple software platforms I am able to provide onsite support for the light CAD user.

UR
User in Real Estate

"Autocad two thumbs up"

What do you like best?

Autocad LT is the best program to use to draft, figuring out space planning and laying out lines for 3-D. As an interior designer, we love to use this program to layout furniture and it allows us to see the space in 2-D.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much I can say about disliking the program, but maybe if the LT upgraded to have blocks in a blocks folder so it saves time to redrawing a furniture pieces.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Creating more plot options for new users/students learning about line weights.

I don't have any problems using Autocad LT. The benefits I realized is that it gives students a change to use this program for free during school, which is great!

Shawna K.

"Efficient and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Once the basics are covered, it is quite easy to use this product. One can use keystroke commands or choose the command from the ribbon at the top. Very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of ram to run this program. If you do not have a fast computer, it is possible that the program will crash without warning. Save often.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure your computer will be able to run the program well. There is nothing worse than the program lagging because you do not have enough ram.

Mostly I am drawing out equipment to scale to fit in the existing space in 2D. AutoCAD is perfect for this. I enjoy how easy it is to create complicated drawings for design.

Ken Y.

"Auto CAD LT 2018"

What do you like best?

This is an user-friendly software. I used AutoCAD daily for my office work, in terms of drawing layout for projects.

What do you dislike?

None. Everything looks fine to me and I am satisfying.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is very user-friendly, and can precisely help the user to determine the dimensions, construct drawing, and put into professional layout. I will highly recommend it.

It helps me to solve determining the space between rows in our solar project.

C

"Excellent Software with great inbuilt Features"

What do you like best?

Its inbuilt features and its graphical user interface looks great and very for everyone to understand and too work.

Its helps more to understand the drawings with its 3D view features

Its helps us more to understand the co-ordination drawings in very detailed manner with the help of its features..

What do you dislike?

There is no major disadvantages in it , and i am willing to continue the same in future too.

It helps us to do all technical drawings like electrical,mechanical,plumbing drawings in a single drawings with the help of the co-ordination drawings.

It will be more useful to explain to our client with the 3D view drawings for their easy understanding.

It will make our customers happy with its brilliant features.

Mike H.

"More than enough CAD for most users."

What do you like best?

The stripped-back nature of the interface, compared with full AutoCAD, gives the user the simplicity offered by more familiar programs like Microsoft Office; this streamlines functionality for new users as they do not get bogged down in overly complicated sub menus cluttered with buttons they will likely never use.

What do you dislike?

There are some relatively basic functions which could do with being included, for example a simple scrolling viewer panel, akin to google earth, to allow the user to view 3D objects from whatever angle they like. Another niggle is not being able to share licences through a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have worked with people who literally have LT just to open .dwgs; there is so much more you can do with LT than that! If you are new to AutoCAD, this is a great place to start and the online tutorials and help from Autodesk is fantastic.

We use CAD to complement GIS work when we are moving into detailed site design. We have ~8 CAD users in our office, but only need full AutoCAD Civils 3D for 2 users at any one time. Having the cheaper LT version on all our machines allows us to reduce running costs and still fulfil our needs. We share 2 full licences to cover the higher functionality where we need it.

C

"Excellent user-friendly software with great Graphical user interface."

What do you like best?

It will help us to draft all our drawings in cad for our easy understanding that also will be helpful in explaining to others in an real time view.

What do you dislike?

There is no disadvantages in it, and I am expecting the same for all our updated cad versions.

It will helps more to do all our creative ideas in cad that too very user-friendly for all people's.

It will be very helpful to our engineers to explain our projects to our successful clients.

Niki B.

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

It's a cheaper alternative to getting a full seat of autocad and allows me to review drawings on the go and open email attached drawings.

What do you dislike?

It's not fully compatible with everything and when i switch back and forth from autocad architecture to this it makes everything non 3-D and messes up all my blocks. I have used it previously but because of the compatibility issues i have since had to switch to full autocad.

More accessible for computers at home that don't need a full seat of autocad but still need access to files from work.

Trang P.

"AutoCAD LT for design in medium enterprise"

What do you like best?

Best software, this software provides most of feature for my job, especial 3D feature. I draw the technical design and can use short key very fast, it improve my productivity.

What do you dislike?

it is difficult to use some advance functions, must to join the training.

Design and drawing many products and technical design. New version have a 3D feature, I can view and print to printer 3D for demo and make a sample. I love the function key, it improve my productivity.

Clayton S.

"Software with Endless Possibilities"

What do you like best?

The software is extremely accurate with ability to create something of any size and scale exponentially.

What do you dislike?

There is a major learning curve to the software. Not nearly as easy to use as some of Autodesk's other software such as Fusion 360.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take a class with Autodesk or purchase a Mastering Autodesk Book, which will help you learn anything you need to know about the software, including simple and effective tips and tricks.

These tips are necessary for effective use of the software.

I have used this software to design layout within electrical rooms. It saves time and money to assure we will be able to fit our equipment the first time without have to come back.

Julia T.

"Couldn't do what I do without it"

What do you like best?

User friendly while I am working on multiple projects.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program crashes when I have too many drawings open, but there's a good chance that's due to my computer strength and not the program itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is an excellent product for any design company. I have used AutoCad for years, since I started school in 2010, and I will continue to use it as my main design/planning program for the rest of my career.

It allows me to do all of my design drawings- big and small!

User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"BEST 2D MODELLING SOFTWARE"

What do you like best?

Great program to create Engineering MEP drawings. Layers are easy to use, and functions are plenty.

What do you dislike?

The "f2" button provides help with regards to the various functions of the program but it is very hard to understand and the user will find it very difficult to work fast, if not instructed by another user. The instructions could be clearer. There is severe lag in the program, often. The toolbars are confusing to set up, and can be over whelming.

I am able to do manual J calculations, design duct work and present them to the client. It is easy to use and functional.

Matthew R.

"Standard CAD software that will always be a classic go to for drawings. "

What do you like best?

General ease of use, capability of creating countless types of drawings across many disciplines.

What do you dislike?

Hatching can be an issue sometimes, layering and colors can get quite complex, wish there was a simpler more intuitive setting that you could turn on.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program does require some time to get acquainted to. But it is an all around great program that is commonly used and transmitted in the architectural design industry.

Use this program in almost all out projects, from creating quick sketches to full architectural construction drawings.

Vishnumoorthy R.

"Good working experience in this software"

What do you like best?

Easy to draw complicated drawings with measurement

What do you dislike?

Cost of the software little high other than that nothing.

It's very useful for me to understand the drawings & with that knowledge i can explain to my clients too.

Mike B.

"Great for freelancing and small prjects"

What do you like best?

I like that it offers many of the features of the full build of AutoCAD in a familiar UX. It remains consistent with the rest of the Autodesk family of products, and works well as a way of reformatting file types.

What do you dislike?

The most limiting characteristic is its inability to perform 3d tasks. AutoCADlt is limited in the numbers BIM functions it provides. I would love to have the ability to make simple extrusions to model simple projects. The presentation graphics abilities are also very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a freelancing designer or a small firm owner, LT is an excellent option to create professional architectural drawings.

I'm able to design and document small projects quickly and efficiently.

"Outdated - just give up on this software, it's increasingly irrelevant"

What do you like best?

Virtually nothing. Autocad is painful to use. Drafting is clunky and setting up sheets for architectural drawings is a horrendous business -- discontinue development and push the drafting tools into Revit. The only good thing I can say for Autocad is its ability to handle large-scale CAD files such as those produced from GIS data.

What do you dislike?

The spacebar start/end command functionality is annoying. Drafting in the 3D modelling software Rhino 3D is far more enjoyable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't bother with Autocad, go straight to Revit and learn how to draft in that instead.

Mapping and GIS data formatting for university master plans. I then export the linework into PDF format and edit the linework styles/weights in Adobe Illustrator.

C

"Excellent Software with More Inbuilt Features"

What do you like best?

It will helps us to create 3D modelling which will be very useful in understanding the concepts of the particular object or project.

What do you dislike?

As of now, there is no any disadvantages in it, i am expecting the same in all updated version of CAD.

It will be helpful in designing all kinds of engineering related drawings , so with that we can explain our ideas and concepts to our clients for easy understanding.

UE
User in Environmental Services

"Pared down version of AutoCAD which is great for basic 2D work"

What do you like best?

It is a relatively low cost option that allows me the main 2D features of AutoCAD. It is fine for basic drafting.

What do you dislike?

In general, AutoCAD software is expensive, and regular upgrades mean that software quickly becomes out of date. This means that if a client is working in a more recent version of AutoCAD, it can be difficult to access these files. Also AutoCAD Lt is not compatible with the 3D features of the full AutoCAD which can cause problems with working with files created in full AutoCAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider carefully what features you require before investing in AutoCAD or any CAD package. Be aware that you will probably need to upgrade quite regularly.

We use AutoCAD Lt for simple drafting work , to allow CAD access for a number of staff while not having to pay for full AutoCAD for everyone. This means staff can have basic CAD access on site at a relatively low cost.

Mark E.

"AutoCAD LT easy to learn"

What do you like best?

I like the options you have to import pdfs, or export to other cad software. Plays well with other on compatibility and abilities.

What do you dislike?

i don't like the default settings and the level you have to go to change your quick commands.

We can accept different cad software files to use and convert them back for each client.

"Autocad LT Powerhouse"

What do you like best?

This is one extremely powerful tool for any drawings you need to get done. Once you get past the initial steep learning curve, you can do pretty much anything you need with this application.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for this is a little steep at times, but there are plenty of videos and free tutorials that will get you going.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Watch some videos if you are unfamiliar with drafting software.

Able to create any drawings I am asked to create, whether new or just creating a new version of an old drawing.

"A great 2D engineering application."

What do you like best?

I love that Autodesk has AutoCAD LT for users who do not require 3D modeling and that it is affordable compared to the full version of AutoCAD that includes functions I do not need.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that it is a subscription based program. I would prefer you pay once instead of yearly.

I use AutoCAD LT to draw clearance diagrams for our crews. This helps keep our work force safe.

User in Civil Engineering

"AutoCAD LT for Utilities Work"

What do you like best?

This program is very straightforward and intuitive to use once you've been familiarized with it. I often find myself trying to use commands from the software in other programs because it is so helpful and easy to remember. It takes a lot of thinking out of the work so I can concentrate on the details of the designs I'm working on.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to develop a realistic surface profile is the biggest downside to this program. When I work on projects that require surface profiles for permitting, I have to develop one by hand, or have another user with Civil 3D do it for me, which can be frustrating. I also wish there was an easier way to share work in a more collaborative effort with colleagues and clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Practice is the most important thing. Consistently work with the software every day and it will be very easy to pick up. I was intimidated at first, even after taking courses on the program in school, but now that I have used it in a professional setting daily, I am very confident in the work that I produce using this product.

Drafting and designing telecommunications infrastructure both for inside and outside builds. It is easy to develop a set of design standards so that many people on our team can do similar projects in a precise, consistent manner, with deliverables that are professional and reliable. I trust AutoCAD to support nearly all of the work that I do on a daily basis, and I rarely run into issues.

C

"GOOD SOFTWARE WITH GREAT FEATURES"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is a useful software, which is used to design our ideas and to implement our thoughts to our responsible clients and team.

What do you dislike?

As of now, there is no any disadvantages in AutoCAD LT , and I am thinking that will retain in future too.

1) Explaining our design ideas to our clients and architects.

2) Helpful in clearing the doubts for the site team.

"AutoCAD LT is a great CAD tool and a must have for engineers"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to easily create drawing files. I have used AutoCAD for a couple of decades now and it has come a long way!

What do you dislike?

There are now a lot of ribbon toolbars. I’m not a huge fan as I prefer to use the command bar for most functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great CAD tool that has a lot of powerful functionality. There are also several add ons that can further enhance the power of this software.

All designs generally need a professional drawing and this program allows the engineers in my office to create and modify drawings.

IE
Internal Consultant in Entertainment

"AutoCad LT - a power design tool"

What do you like best?

It has all of the features I require. Should be standard issue for any designer or engineer.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of learning curve. You need to read some manuals or tutorials before jumping in.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read some third party resources to get the most out of the product. There are lots of online/offline resources since this is used by so many professionals.

Have designed systems for several projects now. It allows me to exchange industry standard files with all of our clients and partners.

Francis Andrew B.

"For 2D Drafting... Nothing Better"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD has a feature set that in my limited experience in drafting has been unrivaled. Whenever I work in AutoCAD, I am able to do anything I need and am able to manipulate objects and layers in countless ways, and simply navigating around the menus reassures me that AutoCAD will be capable of handling anything I need for a long time to come.

What do you dislike?

AutoCAD LT has the obvious limitation of 2D renderings. I have worked in the full-fledged AutoCAD with 3D modeling, and it is a big step up from AutoCAD LT, but with a price tag that's 20% of the full software package, I can't complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AutoCAD has the benefit of having a subscription model that can be set up for different lengths. The best feature that I've found is that I can pay for AutoCAD when I need it on a monthly basis and bill my client for that time, but when I have a couple of months that I am not working, I don't lose money paying for the software that I'm not currently using. I also had the benefit of learning AutoCAD in a classroom environment, which helped me immensely in terms of learning appropriate workflows and project set-up procedures.

I am using AutoCAD LT to draw out lighting plots whenever I design sets and shows. Being able to create items for one show and easily copy them over has been incredibly helpful, as many times I re-use designs from project to project.

Desiree S.

"Great CAD Software"

What do you like best?

It's ease of use. AutoCAD has been around a very long time. I've been an ACAD user since release 14. Sure the program has change and modified and evolved but at it's base level it's still the same old cad software you used when you first started. I like that. I've been a long time user (first started back in 1998) and I've seen this program go through many iterations and I'm enjoying where it's at now for all it's features.

What do you dislike?

When a new release comes out they sometimes move or change things that have been in one place for a long time. It took me a little to get used to the ribbon design *(after a 7 year stint with MicroStation) but now that I have I'm enjoying it again. Other than that I don't really have any real complaints about how the program operates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are familiar with CAD systems it;s super easy to pick up. You just need to start using it.

For architectural drafting there's not to many other options. AutoCAD is one of the best out there. The LT version is a good choice if you don't want the full blown CAD program. I use this software t prepare construction documents for my contracting company. It works perfectly for my needs.

UA
User in Architecture & Planning

"All of the useful features of the full version for a fraction of the cost"

What do you like best?

The best feature is that it is a heavy hitter for being a lite version. It has all of the necessary features and has proven incredibly useful for those who can't cough up the big $$$ for the full version.

What do you dislike?

Lite doesn't support lisps and doesn't have 3D support but they are features which are not heavily used by me.

We use this software fro architecture and urban design. It is simple and easy to use and incredibly professional at a great value.

Learning about AutoCAD LT?

* We monitor all AutoCAD LT reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.