TeraTerm

TeraTerm is an open-source, free, software implemented, terminal emulator. It emulates different types of computer terminals, from DEC VT100 to DEC VT382.

Work for TeraTerm?

Learning about TeraTerm?

Compare TeraTerm to Similar Solutions

TeraTerm Reviews

Showing 14 TeraTerm reviews
TeraTerm review by Kamlesh P.
Kamlesh P.

"Tera term is best terminal emulator software."

What do you like best?

Tera term is easy to use and very fast responsive for show incoming data on terminal emulator compared to other terminal emulator software.we can easily set serial port communication configuration before communicate to the serial port.

What do you dislike?

tera term is only show incoming data on terminal in only string format but there is not any option to convert and show incoming data in another format like hex or ascii format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

tera term is very easy to use terminal emulator software for connect to other system via ssh,telnet and serial communication.if you are working with microcontroller tera term can help to debug serial communication with microcontroller.

tera term is good software for serial communication debug process also help us to communicate with other system via ssh ,telnet and serial communication access.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about TeraTerm
TeraTerm review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Good, Free Emulator"

What do you like best?

The two best things about TeraTerm are: 1) it's flexible and 2) it's free. You can customize the settings to connect to any host or port that you need. I also appreciate that you can switch between black background w/ white text and white background w/ black text. It's a small detail, but it allows each user to use the contrast that they think is best.

What do you dislike?

TeraTerm is only available for Windows, so if you're running a Mac you'll need to find another option (or use Remote Desktop). Also, TeraTerm is open source, so you're not going to get professional support for this product. If you're not tech-savvy, or if your business depends on TeraTerm working correctly, then you may want to consider a paid solution that offers support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a quick, free solution, then TeraTerm is a good option. If you're not very technical, then I recommend using a program that offers more hands-on help and Support.

I use TeraTerm to control the firmware on a device my company manufactures. This allows me and my team to conduct special testing from our computers, without interfacing directly with the device. Controlling the device via TeraTerm also allows us to get feedback/logs from the device that we otherwise wouldn't be able to get from the device's LCD interface. Another major benefit to using TeraTerm is that it's free, so we don't have to worry about getting paid license when we add people to the team.

What Terminal Emulator solution do you use?

TeraTerm review by Roger M.
Roger M.

"Great full featured dumb terminal program for SSH and serial connections."

What do you like best?

It offers features such as file transfer using X/Y/Zmodem and Kermit. It can replay recorded sessions which is very helpful during support calls with vendors/customers. These features are normally found it commercial offerings. It is also regularly updated and is a small download. A must for any network administrator's toolkit.

What do you dislike?

Wish you can setup predefined connections.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before dishing out funds for commercial offerings, you should do yourself a favor and use TeraTerm for a week to get it a good trial.

Our network equipment has out-of-band management consoles which we can connect to via TeraTerm. We can also use TeraTerm to connect to any SSH server to manage equipment in-band.

TeraTerm review by Bill B.
Bill B.

"Great Terminal Emulator"

What do you like best?

I love TeraTerm because it does everything that you may need it to do and it does it all better than PuTTY and other open source terminal emulators

What do you dislike?

The default colors are not great, but they can be changed so that's an easy fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look no further than TeraTerm for easy terminal emulation software!

TeraTerm allows me to SSH/Telnet into various networking devices as well as console in with a serial connection. I use TeraTerm when teaching my students as well, as it is simple to set up and easy to understand.

TeraTerm review by Khola M.
Khola M.

"Fast and easy emulator software"

What do you like best?

It is a responsive software that shows the incoming data on the edge or terminal software. We can now set serial port connection without any hesitation.

What do you dislike?

It does not have any convert option and shows the conversion format in hex or ascii format only.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an excellent tool for creating connections and also for serial communication. You can also debug it with micro controller if you are using micro controller tera term.

A good software for debugging which also helps you to communicate to other systems by serial connection.

TeraTerm review by Raj P.
Raj P.

"A very nice software for serial comm. I generally use this software for all my projects"

What do you like best?

The best thing about this software is that it is an open source software.

What do you dislike?

The interface seems kind of outdated, which I feel can be improved

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe improve the UI

I have used this software in my undergraduate studies and also in my graduate studies. I have made many projects which use this software. The benefits of tera term is the response time. I fwlt that it is faster as compared to Putty

TeraTerm review by Richard P.
Richard P.

"Easy and flexible "

What do you like best?

TeraTerm can be as complete as you like. You can build a list of connections to save or just enter your information each time you connect. It also includes connecting via serial - more tools of this nature are offering that now, but for a while it was hard to find. TeraTerm has always worked reliably and offers the features that most people need.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to have a tabbed interface to open multiple things at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for what it does.

Remote connectivity to network devices.

TeraTerm review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"A handy terminal utility that is maintained by the Open-Source community"

What do you like best?

The history of this terminal application lends well to it's overall reliability. I've only recently started using it (after finding it on an Open Source list) and have found it to be useful, and simple.

What do you dislike?

It's not as fully-featured as some terminal applications out there, but overall it's a nice little tool to have on hand!

Recommendations to others considering the product

TeraTerm is an easy to use platform and is supported by the Open Source community. It has an old school look and takes care of the job you need it to do - accessing terminals!

TeraTerm gives us access to our shell systems that we use for our build and hosting needs.

TeraTerm review by John M.
John M.

"Excellent terminal"

What do you like best?

Ease to change character set and uart baud rate

What do you dislike?

No X11 support. Need additional app for x11 over ssh

Ssh to Linux machine and uart for USB devices

TeraTerm review by Ariana R.
Ariana R.

"Reliable and Easy to use"

What do you like best?

The best feature of teraterm i like is that it is light, easy and the shortcuts are very simple.

What do you dislike?

Every time I have open tera term I have to adjust the baudrate to 115200. I wish that once I set it, it would remember the last baud rate i used.

I use teraterm mainly for testing and debugging PCBs that we design

TeraTerm review by User

"Great Terminal Emulator"

What do you like best?

I love that Teraterm is open source and is very feature rich. It handles serial connections super well through the drop down box as well as all of the other features you would expect from a terminal emulator.

What do you dislike?

I have no major dislikes expect for the fact that there is less documentation online than for other terminal emulators.

We use TeraTerm both to connect to serial devices as well as to ssh into remote servers. Using TeraTerm makes both of these much easier for engineers and saves us time.

TeraTerm review by Alex S.
Alex S.

"Easy to use Terminal Software"

What do you like best?

Its fairly simple to set up and allows you to setup default comm ports.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found something I really dislike yet

TeraTerm allows us to communicate with our products to test and debug issues.

TeraTerm review by User

"Easy to setup and use "

What do you like best?

Setup is quiet easy and you can always save it and it will start with the saved settings. Comes handy when running automation scripts.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes does not interact well with scripts used for automation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its just to use. I will not recommend any changes

All the products have serial output which is quite helpful when debugging the product.

TeraTerm review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"Great tool! "

What do you like best?

Ability to create scripts, ease of use, a lot of configuration and customization options. This tool is very powerful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can think of. I prefer this tool compared to its competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very powerful tool.

It's very helpful if you want to copy and paste huge data to the terminal.

Learning about TeraTerm?

* We monitor all TeraTerm reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare TeraTerm to Similar Solutions