Standard Notes Reviews & Product Details

Standard Notes Overview

What is Standard Notes?

A simple cross-platform encrypted notes app. Open-source with options to self-host.

Standard Notes Details

Standard Notes is designed to be a simple and private notes app.

Standard Notes
N/A
@StandardNotes

Developer
Answer a few questions to help the Standard Notes community
Have you used Standard Notes before?

Standard Notes Reviews

Showing 10 Standard Notes reviews
Already have Standard Notes?
Consumer Insights Manager
Consumer Electronics
What do you like best?

I like the past and match style feature of Standard Notes, where you get to copy and paste exactly the same style of the paragraph you copied. It even has a developer tools same as any browser readily installed, so you can see the styling the lies beneath the prase you pasted. I also liked the auto back up, so you don't waste your precious efforts reduced to any especially during unexpected shutdowns. The hashtags for the tagging and categorization, I think, is also clever. Makes the tool more upbeat. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Though this is more of an opinion than a negative reaction. I think StandardNotes live up to its name that it is indeed standard note taking app. Nothing brilliant though. Just the basic note taking. Therefore, I can not find a ground where I will say I will stick to this app. It does not have a unique value proposition on hand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Yes, I would recommend people using StandardNotes, but when you have specific issues to solve, you better try first their trial and see for yourself if it solves your current problems. It is a nice piece of software, but it needs more polishing before it indeed worthy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Content creator, like myself, are exacting when it comes to our notes. And it is imperative that we get exactly the formatting we are referring to. StandardNotes provided me with tools necessary to solve and bridge the gap just that, witch paste and matching style with developer tools on the hood, they got that one right. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Talent Acquisition Coordinator
Banking
What do you like best?

I like the fact that they prioritize privacy above everything else with their highly secure encrypted channel of syncing data and notes within a device to device. And I love that they have developer tools. This same developer's tool is found on browsers, and it is present on this software too. Meaning, I can check under the hood for some code discrepancies and styling issues of my notes. More of an OCD me talking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The installer file is quite heavy, and it is not ideal for slow processing computer units. They should improve how the app is executed. I could say the same for their mobile application that is taking so much space and speed of the mobile unit. Note taking is supposed to be about speed and not just encryption alone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think they specifically created this note taking tool for people who are weary with privacy, and people who are more keen to their privacy are highly technical people. I myself is a technical personnel, and I think they made a great job marketing it as a tool not just to take notes but also that will protect the integrity of your files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It uses hashtag as tags and that made my life easier when searching for my synced tools over the other device. Privacy is an issue that they tool seriously, and I think that is one problem that they solved for me. I don't have to worry with my notes being publicly open and sensitive information being subject to prying eyes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dog Trainer
What do you like best?

Standard Notes is for writers who desire or demand privacy. Their privacy and encryption are first-class. I use the free, plain-text version, but you can upgrade if you want to add RTF or Markdown or themes and the like. I'm fine with plain text, I use WriteApp for formatting & longer projects. I use Standard Notes for an idea incubator and daily journal. Most of my social media posts originate there, as do my blog posts. It's cross-platform and the sync between browser, desktop, and mobile versions is lightning-fast. You can choose whichever level of privacy you're comfortable with. And they have a very active Slack community going on. If you're a writer and you value your privacy you should check it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Their free version is stripped to the bone with regard to features. Even Simplenote offers Markdown, checklists, and light / dark themes. This isn't really a huge issue for me, but I believe the creators could snag a larger share of the market were they to equal Simplenote's basic features. They also offer premium add-ons but I don't see anyone paying for features you can get in Simplenote for free. On the other hand, some of the add-ons are quite impressive. The paid version just doesn't add value for my needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a creative or article writer, it's an essential tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The encryption and security are huge bonuses for me. In addition to authoring blog posts, I keep client information and even some (low-security) passwords on board, and feel comfortable knowing this info is for my eyes only. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

administrator
What do you like best?

I like that it is free and has great privacy. You are able to upgrade if you are interested in themes, backups, and editors. You are the only one able to decrypt your notes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The formatting is enabled only as an extension for money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has a lot of pros and very few cons in my opinion. It is simple to use and has great features. It makes privacy easy for everyone. The app is optimizes a very long survivability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is great for personal notes, tasks, to-dos, passwords, private journal, meeting notes, scratchpad, technical procedures & code procedures. They have an app which is great and very handy for this generation. It makes privacy easy for everyone. It works with both mac and PC users. It works with both IOS and Android users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

manager
What do you like best?

I really liked standard notes as a way to stay organized in the college and monitor all transactions in one place for tution and grants from all stucents Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I didnt like the customer service. i thought the customer service was awful and hard to get a hold of Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

organize all loose notes in one place that all employees can access Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technology Project Manager and Trainer
Legal Services
What do you like best?

That I can sync notes across multiple devices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No issues. I like this software as much as any others Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is simple to use and encyrpted end to end Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Note taking, remembering to do lists Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really liked standard notes because it had a great interface and kept all notes for the office organized electronically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I didn't really like the fact that he didn't have a lot of uses besides basic note taking and organizing files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

to copy quick notes in one place Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recruiting/Marketing Intern
Staffing and Recruiting
What do you like best?

It's very easy to use. It's also great for privacy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There can be glitches when using certain fonts and backgrounds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be more clear with customers because software is good and there's no need for marketing tricks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It provides me with general security and privacy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really like the interface and how easy it is to use this software to compile quick notes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like the price of the software as its too expensive for the function it serves. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

compile quick notes in one place Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

account executive
What do you like best?

I really liked the interface of this software and how easily focused note taking was Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I didnt like the fact that it lagged or glitched on a regular basis during trial Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

to organize notes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.