Nik HDR Efex Pro2

HDR Efex Pro 2 is a plugin for Adobe Photoshop CS6 designed to allow control when merging multiple photos together to make an HDR image.

Work for Nik HDR Efex Pro2?

Learning about Nik HDR Efex Pro2?

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 Reviews

Showing 10 Nik HDR Efex Pro2 reviews
Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by Jill C.
Jill C.

"No more need for Professional touch-ups!"

What do you like best?

There are dozens of options for the user. And even more options within those options. Recipes cam be cooked up and saved. And it's all pretty easy to learn! Each version that comes out ( I am currently on 4) comes with new inventive filters.

What do you dislike?

I still do not understand the circle and radius function that controls certain placements. I'm sure if i checked some online tutorials I'd find my answers.Additionally, this is one of those programs that runs terribly slow on my computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am currently using Nik version 4 of this program. I am a small business. I cannot afford a professional photographer all the time. I am able, with Nik, to snap my own shots and edit them in a HUGE variety of ways so that I am pleased with what I see every time. Learning how to make recipes from individual filters can be confusing and requires thought and practice. But it's not difficult to manage - even without a lot of experience.

I do not even think of hiring a professional photographer at this juncture. With a good camera eye and a good touch up and effects program like this I don't need to. I've also come to appreciate the art in knowing how to use various filters to evoke mood because of the variety.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Nik HDR Efex Pro2
Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by Dan B.
Dan B.

"powerful and easy to use HDR software"

What do you like best?

* works seamlessly with Photoshop and Lightroom

* when I got it, it was free from Google, (but I've read that now it's sold to DxO)

* Easy to use, intuitive controls

* Good tone mapping that can give natural results (if that is your goal)

* Best ghost reduction I've seen in any HDR software (when combining images with slight movement between the exposures)

* Visual way to select your preferred HDR effect

* the "control points" are a great way for localized effects

*Good performance even on non high-end machine (can use GPU if you have a supported one)

What do you dislike?

* No longer free (I saw that DxO do offer a free trial)

* Very easy to over-do the effects and make your photo unrealistic

* might not be as powerful as Photomatix Pro

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an HDR software, you must include Nik HDR Efex in your shortlist.

Even while it's no longer free, you can give it a 30 days trial.

HDR gives a great and easy way to improve your images color range using a simple photography technique (you can also sometimes get away with only a single image and create 3 images from it using RAW editor).

Improve your photos when the lighting conditions were not ideal.

What Photo Editing solution do you use?

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by Dr. C. Michael S.
Dr. C. Michael S.

"Gorgeous Photos from Snapshots"

What do you like best?

I love the preset options that I can take advantage of - then tweak them to my liking. This makes for a very useful plugin in my opinion. As a photography, I have been this product for years and simply upgrade when a new one comes about.

Additionally, I like the fact that I can use this either as a plugin or as a stand-alone software product. I have used it as a stand alone in the past and it saved me from losing all of the CPU and RAM on my PC. Of course, that was prior to moving to the Mac.

What do you dislike?

Once I figured how the things I DID have a problem with, I ended up with no issues using the plugin. I do not use it as a stand-alone, but probably will to say power of memory on my computer. It does consume power on a PC. Thankfully the mac handles it better.

My final dislike that comes to mind is that I do not like the undocked (floating) table of the application. Even with a 27" screen it gets in the way at times. I ultimately dock it and then struggle to find it a few days later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None come to mind right off - however, I would strongly support the use of this product especially if you are doing photography of landscapes, real estate, or architecture just to mention a few of the many ares in which this is a great product. Your shadows and highlights are balanced in this application bringing about an awesome final product ... your photography. !

I do professional photography on the side in addition to teaching. Therefore, it provides me with the tool needed to quickly accomplish processes that would take much longer if done layer by layer. The bottom line is that it is a major time-saver for me and it does what I want in my final product -- unlike others I have tried.

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Nik Helps Makes HDR Photography Easy"

What do you like best?

When used appropriately, the effects that Nik's HDR software can help users to achieve is remarkable. Images can be transformed from average to good, or even great, with the aid of editing software like this. While HDR and HDR effects need to be used carefully, they can often help to draw greater attention to images.

What do you dislike?

The effects can appear somewhat overdone if not applied correctly and carefully. This is largely because the software is attempting to replicate and produce an effect usually created with multiple images, not a single photograph.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time to find what works for your particular image- no two photographs are alike, especially when applying HDR effects which often need to be applied subtely.

Consumers often focus on images more than words. Images that are unique and grab people's attention are key when creating advertisements and other types of marketing and promotional material. The popularity of Instagram and other photo hosting apps and sites demonstrate the love of photographs that are bright, colorful and more often than not, edited to stand out. Nik's HDR software enables users to create these types of images and those that their company requires.

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by User

"Artistic Presets that look like a Million Dollars!"

What do you like best?

When you are an individual photographer and are artist, production staff, marketing and accounting all in one, any time you can find short cuts that still give you quality output, you've stuck gold. Nik Software is a favorite of many professional photographers and they offer more ways to easily edit your images than any other software I have previously used.

What do you dislike?

I really can't think of anything that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a user friendly program to edit your images, Nik has amazing software including the HDR Efex Pro2. You can also use Nik Software with Photoshop as a filter add on. I own all their editing programs and use them almost daily. And this is coming from a 30+ year professional photographer.

As mentioned previously, I need ways to get things done faster without sacrificing quality. By using Nik Software, I am able to fine tune images and even create beautiful artistic edits that make my work look amazing. As the saying goes, Time = Money!

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by User

"I have a good experience in Nik HDr Efex"

What do you like best?

I like the interface. And there are many styles that could be chosen. I could adjust the highlight part and dark part. It helps me to take a good photo quickly. I use it after I render my building. It is a very nice application.

What do you dislike?

The styles are limit. Can you add more styles to provide various choosing? And the option for adjustment is limit. And before, there is a small plugin in the photoshop. the capability is not too big. I could easily to use it without installing too much installment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, it is. For me, this application is very useful. I already tell my peer to use it when we finish the rendering.

my major is architecture. I use it in order to reinforce an impressive moment in my building. When I don't have much time to add some scene in my pic, I use it to optimize my picture. And if you could provide some reference and tutorial knowledge, it could be better!

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by Brian F.
Brian F.

"Alright"

What do you like best?

This does a decent job at giving an HDR effect to my photos but is nothing outstanding. You need to import the pictures and does not work well with Lightroom.

What do you dislike?

Slow loading on my MacBook Air and takes some times to edit photos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since the price is free, it is fine and they are improving it with a new update in the coming years. I will be likely downloading the newest update soon.

Gives me a way to HDR my photos quickly.

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by Steven D.
Steven D.

"The best free HDR software on the market"

What do you like best?

Out of the box HDR processing delivers beautiful default HDR photos.

What do you dislike?

A lot of the customization options available only have 5 notches/levels to choose from, rather than a finer-grained slider.

Some people may dislike that this software requires a host program to run in, i.e. Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, or Apple® Aperture.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent option if you own a Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom or Apple® Aperture.

I am producing excellent photos to sell. I have received a better default HDR photo than Oloneo PhotoEngine.

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by Mel C.
Mel C.

"Outstanding HDR Processor"

What do you like best?

The program interfaces with both Photoshop and Lightroom. Easy to use and process images

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you get a little fringing on the horizons in landscape images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The program is very easy to use and results are as expected.

I shoot most of commercial jobs using this program. Makes processing easy.

Nik HDR Efex Pro2 review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"HDR done well and done easy."

What do you like best?

Real world HDR in a nice package. Wish I had the budget for this.

What do you dislike?

The price is rather high, forcing me to try different products.

Amazing HDR performance. It does make the workload easier to manage.

Learning about Nik HDR Efex Pro2?

* We monitor all Nik HDR Efex Pro2 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.