Adobe Media Encoder Reviews & Product Details

What is Adobe Media Encoder?

Adobe Media Encoder is part of Adobe video editing suite and is responsible for encoding video files to the proper format to ensure they play on different devices videos are watched on today.

Adobe Media Encoder Profile Details

Adobe Media Encoder Profile Details

Adobe
Description
Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.
1982

Adobe Media Encoder Reviews

1-34 of 34 total Adobe Media Encoder reviews
Most Recent Adobe Media Encoder Video Review
Systems Engineer

"The perfect software for rendering videos"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use this program, as well as being perfectly integrated with all the other Adobe tools. Something I like very much is to be able to enter the After Effects files and be able to select which composition to render. I also like the amount of coding methods that the software has, allowing to change the screen resolution, and general aspects to obtain an optimal final result for the final use of multimedia work

What do you dislike?

I do not like that it consumes many computer resources and can leave other processes and applications paralyzed, sometimes it also leaves them hanging, having to perform a forced shutdown of these applications. At the same time it does not allow integration with other tools outside the Adobe platform, or I have not found a way to achieve this integration with other platforms

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this software, it is easy to use, any beginner can use it with the help of tutorials on the internet, in addition to the excellent number of ways to encode the videos makes it an excellent tool to improve the creation of multimedia content

In the company has helped solve problems mainly in the generation of own content, previously the rendering of videos and multimedia material in general was more complicated to perform and was not as efficient as when using Media Encoder

Nikki Tiler

"Media Format Renderer/Encoder That Is Very Reliable"

What do you like best?

I like that Adobe Media Encoder outputs to formats with presets for YouTube and Vimeo, and is very reliable.

What do you dislike?

It can take hours to export videos at the highest quality, so sometimes we have to leave the computers on overnight to encode, and we are not able to provide a same-day service as a result.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can export to multiple formats if you right-click a job and do Duplicate. This lets you output in less time than if you were to export each separately.

We export our motion videos to formats for various hardware media players for use in digital signage e.g. in takeaway restaurants. We have found that Adobe Media Encoder is reliable, and also able to output to multiple formats simultaneously, and upload directly to remote servers with presets.

(10,001+ employees)

"Media Encoder handles a wide variety of codecs and is very stable."

What do you like best?

I like best being able to build presets for a wide variety of pixel dimensions since I work with a lot of different size screens. So, for example, if I export from After Effects a video that is 48 pixels high and 1920 pixels wide, and want it in an uncompressed avi then all I have to do is drag a preset over and start the job. It is also great how you can cue up multiple renders and then start them all at once.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. The program functions as advertised. If I had anything, I'd want it to be a little smarter. For example, it ought to be able to detect the pixel dimensions of the After Effects project it is being asked to render and offer suggestions as to which of its presets would be the best fit. I have 20 presets and always have to scroll down the list to find which one matches the pixel dimensions of the comp I am trying to export. Why can't that info just be sent along from After Effects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think this is a great addition to the Adobe family of products. If you have After Effects or Adobe Premiere then you will f ind this to be an indispensable tool.

We are making digital signage for a large number of different sized LED boards around a variety of sports venues. Our basketball arena has 13 different pixel dimensions on its various boards and we can use Adobe Media Encoder to export After Effects videos to all of them really easily.

Senior Editor
Broadcast Media

"Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017"

What do you like best?

Whereas with adobe premiere pro cc 2017 and after effects there are only so many formats and presets to choose from, media encoder gives many options including older settings. Our company is a PC based production company so encoder allows us to convert .mov files with ease. These files are still in audio sync when rendered.

What do you dislike?

-The default interface can be confusing. It is best to create your own work space suited to your needs especially if it is repetitive.

-The loud goat noise if a render failed. It is very obnoxious.

-Takes a lot of computing power.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

-Create your own work space and save it for repetitive tasks.

-Before big renders, do a test render with lower bit rate. If you screw up you won't waste hours of rendering time. Get it right, then do a full HD render.

-Rendering big complex files requires a lot of power. Do not work on major stuff while rendering because your CPU often goes up to 90%+ usage.

-The more ram your computer has the faster things will render. You can also set the amount of ram for adobe products to adjust rendering times.

- Converting video

- Converting audio

- More rendering options for old/new presets suited to our tasks.

- Best for targa, png, or jpeg sequences.

- Ability to create custom render settings for ease of export.

IC

"Media encoding"

What do you like best?

I like this program because it allows me to process, encode and transform media to its desired form. I can also make proxies and change existing format of the file. I am a creative cloud user, so it has a connection with other adobe products to make file integration easier between adobe programs. Media encoder is a tool that is often used to create an easy workflow. Setting up a file transfer session is very easy and depending on conversion, size and quality, encoder creates a very quick file form I need.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, I never faced an issue with this program. Any time I used it, it really worked for me and did what I expected it to do. One example I did come across, If a user comes in contact with an error, in most cases it user error. Saving a file to a destination may cause a problem if there is not enough space. Another one is when compression of a file did not go right, and the dimensions of my video came out wrong and I had to compress it again or use a different codec. I do wish when a codec is chosen, it would estimate an end result and what your finished product might look like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great program when you are working with media files. i personally used this to make file transferring and encoding easy. It definitely improved my work flow.

When doing file transfers, Media Encoder really speeds up the fork flow. Some files do not send because of their size, so Media Encoder allows us to shrink files down and avoid any data loss or integrity of the file. I personally like this program, I use it in all my projects, especially those that require sending files to other team members.

Senior Video Producer
Motion Pictures and Film
(Myself Only)

"Adobe Media Encoder: Multipurpose Encoding Solution"

What do you like best?

Adobe Media Encoder seamlessly integrates with Premiere Pro and After Effects. Sequences can be exported directly from these programs to Media Encoder for rendering outside of the parent application. Project files can even be opened in Media Encoder bypassing other software, allowing for use on dedicated render servers. Media Encoder supports many-threaded rendering for high-core-count CPUs as well as GPU acceleration for fast exports.

What do you dislike?

Adobe Media Encoder occasionally suffers from slow performance and crashes when loading sequences directly from project files. This behavior typically does not occur when launching Media Encoder from the export dialog in Premiere Pro.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest Adobe Media Encoder to users planning to use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, or Adobe CC subscribers who need an encoding solution for exporting projects or transcoding standalone files. Users of other software packages may prefer to use the encoder that comes with their packages instead.

Media Encoder is essential to my work as a video editor. It helps me work more efficiently by exporting projects outside of the editing software which allows for a more efficient workflow. It also serves to transcode files for proxy editing or different distribution targets.

UB

"Coding made simple"

What do you like best?

Adobe Media Encoder is my go-to software to use when encoding a video project. There are numerous settings, options and formats for videos, and encode exports take very little time. The investment is all-around well worth it, and I have never run into any issues.

What do you dislike?

I wish pricing was a bit lower, but it is very much worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely make Adobe Media Encoder your first choice. I have never regretted using it. As someone who knows and understands very little about video encoding, myself, it is super simple to use, and the tips and support Adobe offers has helped me tremendously.

We are able to encode videos much quicker than with any other software. We are also able to access and implement virtually any format we need, and the options are endless. The preview mode also helps a great deal, and we save so much time through using that feature if it ends up not being the correct format or setting we are looking to develop.

Independent Contractor
Computer & Network Security

"My Adobe Media Encoder Experience"

What do you like best?

I like how its a universal platform for all my adobe products.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how you have to have a specific version of it for it to work, for example. lets say I have a project that I need to work on After Effects CC17, it wont allow me to render anything with Media Encoder CC 2018.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe is well definitely on top of what they do, and adobe media encoder makes things so much simpler and effective.

I'm helping make promo videos, marketing and branding content to get more people to come to our organization. I've seen many benefits. People like the content thats made, especially different kinds of videos thats not been seen before.

"Well-featured encoder with simple connectivity to Premiere"

What do you like best?

I like that it's simple to create presets that match to my workflows. In addition, the many provided presets end up work well for most circumstances. The integration with Adobe Premiere is solid and makes exporting projects, alone or as a batch, relatively simple. Watch folders works well, although it is not a feature I use very often I like the option of having it. Does a great job of creating lightweight proxy files automatically for Premiere.

What do you dislike?

It can be slow to load, both cold and when launching from Premiere. Navigating the menus can be cumbersome, but this gets better with time as you learn the product. I would like it if the file size estimation was more accurate; right now there is a little bit of guesswork involved in what the real final size will be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a well featured encoder and can create just about any output you need and have access the codecs to create. Just take the time to understand the functions and how to utilize settings appropriately.

We use media encoder constantly to prep small video edits for client approval and then to prepare finals for digital and broadcast distribution.

Director of Youth Ministries and Fresh Spirit Worship
Religious Institutions

"Media Encoder Has Lots of Options"

What do you like best?

There are many built in presets in the converter. Also can handle most file types I have thrown at it.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't handle legacy formats as well as those which are more modern.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great option for people considering a file conversion software. It handles most anything you give it, and with the batch feature you can set up lots of conversions to run overnight. There is a solid integration with After Effects and Premiere Pro as well which makes things pretty seamless.

We use this program heavily to convert video to web friendly versions. It does a great job and can churn through large files in short order

David Grimes

"Great media encoder for encoding H265"

What do you like best?

Adobe Media Encoder works well with H265 codec, which is quite rare as it requires special licenses.

What do you dislike?

It can be quite slow to encode video, and at times it can freeze up.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Supports H265 codec.

I use Adobe Media Encoder to encode from my 4K videos to H265 format, which has benefitted me by giving smaller file sizes while still maintaining the same video quality. It was difficult to find a video encoder that worked with this encoding format.

"The Magic Media Manipulator"

What do you like best?

I love the quick and simple video modifications on the fly. I love the variety of presets and the speed with which one can prepare a video for use on any mobile or desktop format. I also like the easy integration with the other apps within the Creative Suite.

What do you dislike?

Preset interface sometimes seem confusing/redundant, but that's my only minor complaint within my level of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a user of the Adobe Creative Suite and you're involved in digital design as we are, this product should suffice for most of your video needs unless you are actually editing beyond simple cropping or shortening.

We use this to quickly edit, crop, reduce or otherwise manipulate client videos for use in online advertising. Mostly simple and easy to use. We need no other video "editing" software for what we do.

"Best Encoder/Transcoder Available"

What do you like best?

I love that Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder talk to each other and that it is super easy and efficient to edit in Premiere Pro and encode/transcode and Media Encoder. The software is easy to use and the best encoding software on the market.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the software. Adobe Media Encoder met all of my needs professionally and it is a very reliable product put out there by Adobe. If I were to recommend any encoding software, Adobe Media Encoder would definitely be the one I would recommend.

Encoding and transcoding video files quickly and efficiently.

Motion graphic artist

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

It is a great to tool to have. With with you can render or convert -from and to - almost any kind of video/audio. And also it allows me to keep working with After Effects, while Media Encoder is doing the rendering of the videos.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you have no control over the audio levels.

It is a reliable rendering software, for all needs.

Nursery and Preschool Teacher
Design

"An essential piece of software for animation, video"

What do you like best?

Media Encoder is a pretty essential piece of software to have when working with animation files, video files, gif files - pretty much anything video-related. It has the ability to render big files quickly and with ease. Your output options are clear and concise - very easy to navigate the application.

What do you dislike?

Honestly- I haven't found much that I'm disliking yet! It has everything that I could really need. Sometimes I guess (I may have just not discovered this option yet), it can take a while to render out all your files because it does them one after another instead of all together.

Encoder has allowed me to output my videos files for a number of platforms- facebook, youtube, instagram, etc.

Freelance Videographer
Sports

"Best conversion software on the market!"

What do you like best?

I love the wide variety of formats I'm able to convert using Media Encoder. There are more output options than most if not all other conversion programs on the market today.

What do you dislike?

Certain formats that are relatively common aren't compatible. It's a little disappointing that such a versatile software sometimes can't handle what should be a pretty simple format.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It can sometimes take awhile to convert footage (based on the power of your computer mostly), but it is ultimately the best and most convenient conversion software on the market today in my opinion.

We primarily use Media Encoder to convert footage from our cameras into the format we use for all our projects.

UG

"One stop shop for video conversion"

What do you like best?

Having a large range of pre-loaded presets, plus the ability to alter multiple settings, it makes delivering final products to various different platforms a simple process.

Being able to queue multiple exports is a real bonus too and I often let the machine do all the hard work overnight.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes has random issues talking to other programs like Premiere and After Effects causing programs to crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it. It's does it's job perfectly.

I deal with a large range of video clips from numerous different sources. Media Encoder allows me convert all my sources into the same containers making post production a much easier process.

"The Exporting Exports"

What do you like best?

Media Encoder makes exporting videos easy. I can export one video through Encoder while editing another video in Premiere Pro. With an updated computer, Media Encoder will export your videos quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

I have very little to discuss on the dislike section. The only issue I have run into on occasion is videos not exporting properly and sound results in a syncing error. I'm guessing its a bug or glitch in the application, but it's the only issue I've run into. Minor inconvenience.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking to save time on encoding and exporting video, time that you desperately need to work on that other project that's been on the back burner all day, go with Media Encoder. It'll give you that time you need to work on other projects while it writes and exports your media.

Media Encoder takes all of my exporting problems and channels it into a couple of easy buttons. This app allows me to focus on creating quality videos instead of trying to figure out how to make video MP4 capable for a standard widescreen TV, social media platforms, etc.

Program Coordinator, EMSA Communications
Higher Education

"Easiest way to convert just about any file!"

What do you like best?

The versatility is phenomenal. Converting a file is quick and easy. Render a file and downsize large files without losing resolution.

What do you dislike?

For the beginner user, the layout could be a little more simplified.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great tool within with the Adobe Suite. Easily move between Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop to Adobe Media Encoder without moving thing manually.

Format conversion for video and audio files. The benefits are a quick turnaround of documents for promotional videos.

Freelance Designer and Illustrator
Media Production

"Great tool for multiple exports and control over video parameters"

What do you like best?

Program lets you create multiple versions very quickly - full control over lots of different video and audio parameters

What do you dislike?

sometimes breaks when premiere or AE send exports. Unclear why Media Encoder has more codecs and formats available as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research regarding how to best export based on your publishing platform. Adobe forums are good for this.

Publishing video for diverse range of media platforms

Post Production Manager
Entertainment

"Lots of options for lots of codecs"

What do you like best?

Real time preview, ability to choose render engine, lots of pre-loaded options

What do you dislike?

Interface is a little cumbersome, not as fast as other encoders. Lacks FLV support which is still something clients request. Also no format for WMV encoding on mac, not a big deal, but would be nice. WIsh it had more film friendly formats like export for a DCP.

We are always rendering different formats for web, broadcast, and film. Media Encoder can handles almost everything we can throw at it. It's fast and easy to use. I love how it works with Premiere and After Effects and was a nice change from Apple's compressor.

Complaint Analyst
Medical Devices

"Great program with lots of options"

What do you like best?

I like that it is very easy to transcode any file to virtually any other file. There are a huge number of options to choose from.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program can take longer than I expect it to, but usually that only happens with particularly large files.

It is convenient and saves time to have so many options in one program that integrates well with other Adobe software.

I

"Keep editing and save time"

What do you like best?

The media encoder is great for long renders especially when I’m editing on a Mac book with a slower processing system. I can keep working while the file is encoded in the background.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much to dislike when it comes to Adobe Media Encoder. The platform performs well, I haven't had many hiccups or errors with it. I would say the only issue I ever run into is codec problems when updating Adobe Premiere Pro. Sometimes, commonly used codecs go away and we have to recreate presets.

Adobe Media Encoder can be a massive time saver when it comes to exporting multiple videos while still needing to edit. Especially on a slower processing computer.

Contributing Editor
(Myself Only)

"Using it for years works well, but you should upgrade to the CC version."

What do you like best?

Workflow and easy to choose output formats.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't have latest codecs in CS6. If you are still using CS6 switch to CC if you need the other codecs.

Renders most of the files in formats that clients need.

"All-In-One Platform For Converting Media Files"

What do you like best?

I like that Media Encoder is easy to use if you know what you want - just drop in the file and select your sizing/dimensions/format that you need. Significantly better than any other conversion tool out there.

What do you dislike?

There is no significant downside, but it does require some education prior to use. Prior knowledge of the general Adobe interface is a definite plus.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have a general knowledge of the Adobe interface and tools prior to attempting to use this platform.

Currently using the convert media files for various ad platforms (Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, etc.). Benefits - quick/easy to use, can be integrated with other Adobe tools such as AfterEffects.

"Covert Any File To Any Desired File Type"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can convert virtually any file format into a flash file and vice versa. Adobe Media Encode also allows you to make any file format compatible with devices, such as Android or Apple. You can also create GIFs and create content that you can easily upload onto Youtube and Vimeo.

What do you dislike?

It is only somewhat user friendly. If you are new to file formatting, using this Media Encoder may be challenging.

Our firm uses this to convert already stored video content into flash files for online e-learning.

UG
(Myself Only)

"Helps you convert files into the sizes that you want"

What do you like best?

Great resolution, the fact that it can render the video and put it on any screen and be a great quality. I used this to create elevator screens sometimes for companies and they loved the final product!

What do you dislike?

It's kinda hard to figure out on your own. There are plenty of tutorial videos you can look into, but there are so many things you can do that you figure out over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use this software if you want to be able to make video quality great for any screen or resolution!

I was able to make video files small enough to be on the elevator screens ad big enough for the lobby screens, and both of them had great video quality and perfect rendering!

(10,001+ employees)

"Effective but note completely intuitive"

What do you like best?

How the program converts raw material into finished video files outside the application used to develop the raw materials.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to understand what settings I should use in a given situations.

Creating video and animated GIFs for social media and the web.

Freelance Videographer / Video Editor
Translation and Localization

"Exporting videos made easy"

What do you like best?

Being able to work on a project in Premiere while simultaneously exporting other videos

What do you dislike?

The software sometimes glitches with 4k footage

I'm able to work more efficiently

UE

"Super User Friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that this software is extremely user-friendly and efficient. As soon as I finish recording a show, I'm able to open the program quickly and use one of Adobe's templates to encode the video.

What do you dislike?

This wouldn't be as user-friendly to a person that doesn't come from a production background.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As long as you have the hardware that can handle the program, the program should run great.

Provides a quick solution to give client's a file format that they need. It helps out the production team when files are given to us in the incorrect format as well.

Owner / Producer / Director / Editor / Consultant /Trainer
Media Production

"Fast Encoding to Multiple formats"

What do you like best?

Fast encoding, tons of presets, works well with other apps.

What do you dislike?

Like before, I am not a fan of "renting" software. Rather own the suite

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be afraid to try it. With all media being delivered online, Encoder fits the bill.

Fast encoding with high quality results

UR

"Great software! Tons of options, just takes some learning!"

What do you like best?

I like that making your exported video’s file size smaller is pretty simple to do, once you get used to doing it.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit overwhelming to a first time user. It takes a bit of getting used to. The interface isn’t particularly well organized or user friendly.

The specifications are all there for wherever I plan to upload my video to. Vimeo, YouTube...you name it.