Linode Reviews & Product Details

Linode Overview

What is Linode?

Simplify your cloud infrastructure with our Linux virtual machines and robust set of tools to develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier. Linode believes that in order to accelerate innovation in the cloud, virtual computing must be more accessible, affordable, and simple. Our infrastructure-as-a-service platform is deployed across 11 global markets from our data centers around the world and is supported by our Next Generation Network, advanced APIs, comprehensive services, and vast library of educational resources. Linode products, services, and people enable developers and businesses to build, deploy, and scale applications more easily and cost-effectively in the cloud.

Linode Details

Linode Reviews

Showing 103 Linode reviews
Already have Linode?
Software Developer
What do you like best?

Linode is the ONLY cloud provider I've found that has not just a phone support, but an amazing phone support experience. You call and within 2 minutes you're on the line with someone who knows what a command line is! You say "DNS" and the person you're talking to understands what you're saying! It's just incredible peace of mind that I know I'm less than 5 minutes away from a conversation with a Linode expert at any time. Beyond that, I've had multiple experiences where their support proactively reached out to me when there were issues with my servers. This level of care and dedication cannot be understated and the value is just incredible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything specific I really dislike about Linode. I really wish there was a way to get unlimited bandwidth, but the bandwidth limitations seem to be an industry thing so it's less a thing I dislike about Linode and more a thing I dislike about the VPS industry. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I run a few SaaS products from Linode's infrastructure as well as several dozen Wordpress sites. Linode does an excellent job of provisioning shared instances on their servers, I've been using Linode for more than 5 years and I've only had to ask to move to another hardware instance once. The few times Linode has experienced outages their status page always has a thorough description of the problem and what they're doing to fix it, in many cases they even have a complete breakdown after the outage to go over what failed and what they're doing to make sure it doesn't happen again. Additionally, every few years Linode has bumped the resources provided to each VPS *for free* to keep their pricing in line with current hardware costs. Linode is the best cloud VPS company I've used, period. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner (sole proprietorship)
What do you like best?

I switched my web sites to Linode about 4 years ago in order to manage my own VPS. This was especially important to me as I wanted to select security software and manage my own settings in more detail. For those who might want more handholding, there are managed solutions, but for me simply having a Linode on which I could completely configure the software was key. Also, I have been able to resize my primary linode (running as a VPS), twice now as traffic increased, with no disruption to my web presence. With a growing company, that is critical. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. As noted, however, if you want closer support, you would need to used one of the managed solutions. I think the like/dislike is going to depend on how independent you want to be.

While the documentation is good, I have had problems running into dated documents when installing some software. I'm not quite sure how this would be solved, because in many cases the older docs were still required for other configurations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With the configuration I set up I was able to basically end security issues that had plagued me elsewhere. I realize this is software I installed, but Linode made it possible for me to carefully track best practices throughout and the result has been four years without any serious issue.

In addition, I have used a second Linode off and on to test software, mostly implementations that I would like to use as a company. The smallest Linode is economical for this purpose, and then if you decide to implement an online solution (such as accounting in one of my tests), you can just expand the Linode. You also can drop it quickly at any time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer and Founder
What do you like best?

Linode has the greatest pricing over time of any similar solution. Their prices drop over time as components get less expensive, saving their customers money.

I’ve used Linode for several projects and deployments and have never had a huge issue, and their support has always been great during little issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You must be familiar with Linux and many of its intricacies if you’re going to use Linode. Several issues will pop up with opening firewall ports to managing all the services. Most things are definitely DIY. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set up your first server on Linode and you’ll be hooked. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Linode lets me quickly test out deployments in a clean production machine, keeping my environment out of the picture. We’ve gained the experience to document every step of setting up a new deployment, and then scripting that for similar deployments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The quality of the service is amazing... beyond the expertise, the SLA, and everything else as CIO I review, the stability is really amazing, the infrastructure, the easiness to do business without human intervention, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At this point, can say that all is just perfect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I used to have VPN and Hostings with other companies, it is really easy and delightful to have control of all the environment and the power of super admin, with security and trust in the platform. I've recommended this twice, and my friends think the same about the easy and fast that is to deploy a LINODE server. I have used many of the features available and take advantage of the upgrades and updates offered by LINODE (like more storage) and applying the changes is really easy and fast. Communication is another great topic. LINODE always communicates on time every change request they need to perform and all have been successful. Again, really easy to trust in LINODE technology. The new price model makes me think to re-evaluate LINODE but after comparing it with other providers including capabilities, reliability, support, documentation, LINODE was my option one more time. I would recommend it always. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All my web infrastructure is hosted in LINODE, web services, database, DNS, email server, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CTO
What do you like best?

Linode has a solid data center environment. With many options to choose from, it fits needs from the individual, all the way up to Fortune 500 companies. We use Linode to host our web and intranet servers at work, and I also use it to run a simple MQTT server for my personal IoT projects. All of the servers and services from Linode have been rock-solid for years. They have continued to improve their user interface and controls as well. With the way that Linode competitively prices their offerings, there is just not good reason to incur the hassle and expense of running your own data center for Internet connected servers and services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Their VPS offerings come in "tiers". You can not choose memory, storage, and bandwidth allocations separately. The combinations are well balanced, but sometimes you just need more memory without increased storage, or vice-versa. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

By using Linode for our largest Internet connected services, we do not have to spend nearly as much on office infrastructure. We do not need a dedicated high speed uplink to the Internet. Also, our data canter costs have decreased to almost nothing. As an added bonus, we gain the ability to easily move service location around the world if needed, and can scale up quickly and easily if demand increases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

The one thing I like best about Linode is their equipment is pretty solid. I have been using them for five or six years, and I probably have had about three or four emergency downtimes. Most of these emergency downtimes aren't long either. I believe the longest I've ever had was two hours. Their equipment is extremely fast and stable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislikes about their products or services I've been thrilled with them for years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend trying them and testing their speeds to see if you like them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I wanted to host my client's websites, and I wanted a provider who provided fast VPS services. I tried some other providers, and while they're all pretty close to each other, Linode had the quickest SSD drives compare to the others out there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The updated cloud dashboard is great. It's super easy to spin up new servers, add new disks, volumes, etc. Longview is a nice bonus feature. Daily backups are reliable and easy to use, taking a snapshot is quick. I have found the notification thresholds to be particularly useful to know when the servers are running at a high resource usage. Support tickets are always answered quickly. The slack scripts and the community are really helpful when trying to bootstrap a solution. Releases of new Linux distros happens often. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't seen a floating IP service as Digital Ocean has. That feature would be great to be able to re-assign and IP address of a server that was taken offline. Digital Oceans interface is much more streamlined than the Linode Cloud interface. It would be great if Longview kept more data by default for free, but I understand the decision on making that feature premium. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linode has been around a lot longer than many other providers in the market. They continue to price match the competition and often pass on bonuses to users at no extra cost, e.g. Double The RAM upgrade as part of a company birthday celebration. They always seem to be innovating whilst continuing to provide a solid service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dedicated cloud infrastructure to run various e-commerce websites. Also a few REST APIs. Being able to spin up new servers in the same network has been particularly useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Emilia Janczak of Linode

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback on floating IPs. This is something that we're looking into, and we've added your interest to our internal tracker.

What do you like best?

The control panel is extremely easy to use, and you can have a Linode instance up and running minutes after you create your account. There is plenty of help available from both the support team and online documentation. The uptime is also a huge upside, with nearly no downtime at all in over 5 years! Any issues I have had over the years were resolved quickly by their support team by way of support tickets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of any downsides to Linode. I've been hosting with them for over 5 years, and have multiple projects hosted using their service. I've had some mild downtime across that time, but nothing major and I was always alerted in advance to any scheduled maintenance or interruptions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look no further, this is the one you want to check out! Speed, reliability, low cost, ease of use, helpful team, this host checks all the boxes and more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Linode lets me host my projects easily without worrying about the potential of rising costs. The instance allotments are generous and the pricing is per hour, to a maximum per month. The automatic backups also give me ease of mind knowing my data is safe. I've used other VPS hosts in the past, but they are not even comparable to value and reliability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Consultant
What do you like best?

Linode provides a wide variety of configurations of machines, along with supplementary tools and add-ons. You are almost certain to find what you need at a very attractive price. As well, they are very knowledgeable and helpful when needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, I need to contact the help desk for assistance in finding some tool or setting. This is less of a dislike than a slight irritation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As I have said previously, Linode provides a solid, reliable, flexible set of offerings, are very reasonable prices. Yes, they are not the cheapest around, but cheap isn't necessarily everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have used Linode's services both for myself and my clients for many years, and saved both time and money, not needing to provide in-house hardware to accomplish tasks that I host at Linode. I have the same control over the machines, but someone else is maintaining the hardware and infrastructure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Linode's built-in deployment tools make it super easy and fast to boot up a Linux version of choice. Having migrated from an old Ubuntu install to a new Debian one, it's super fast and easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No big issues, I have just opened a ticket for an additional IPv4 address and the process appears convoluted, but I'm still in the process of understanding what's required. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ease of use and billing by the minute makes short test servers very affordable. I've used one for a short period and the lack of any lock-in or long term commitment makes the offering super flexible and attractive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I run several personal and commercial websites and other cloud services on my Linode with the addition of ISPconfig and it's been trouble free. It's also hosting email for half a dozen different domains with around a dozen mailboxes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Emilia Janczak of Linode

Hi Xavier,

We’re glad you’re having a good experience so far with Linode! For information on IPv4s and the process of requesting an additional address, check out our doc page: https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/remote-access/

Online Community Manager
What do you like best?

First - the responsiveness and helpfulness of the support staff. Tickets are always addressed promptly, be they about billing or technical issues.

From a technical standpoint - the variety of plans, SSD storage, integrated DNS manager, drop-in monitoring. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I've been with Linode since 2009. They've had a few security incidents, but none that I know of since 2015. The only thing I didn't really like, was that my servers would be force-rebooted a few times a year, unlike on DO. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's a VPS. From hosting websites to bots and monitoring systems, Linode lets you do anything you'd do on a server you own.

We've been hosting since 2011 the world's largest community for self-trackers, the Quantified Self Forum. It's powered by the open-source Discourse platform (Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Stability, I had no issues in past years. Also, new features are introduced with care, so they are stable. I also use Longview, which works fine.

Once I had to use customer support which worked great. I can only recommend those guys. Once they helped me even with Linux setup. You can ask them almost anything I guess. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate serverless features, that would help me in some use cases. Also, having a private VPC would be appreciated. I am not sure, but last time I checked, load balancer can't use private IP addresses of Linode servers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a mid-range cloud, Linode is a good option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have just one Linode server which works fine with WordPress, Microk8s, small OpenVPN server and also it runs Zabbix server. Once you setup everything correctly, you can do fine with just one Linode server. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Data Manager
What do you like best?

Uptime and stability for our Linode services is incredible. Visual dashboard includes last backup time which is helpful. Migration of our data and sites was relatively easy. The dashboard is helpful to visually see spikes in traffic, CPU, and Disk usage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We use Linode for our staging/testing sites and really have had no issues with their services or support. We rarely have to access the Linode site or Linodes. I do not understand their pricing, but it hasn't changed in years (they have a price for Hourly, but our monthly fee is the same every month). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use a few other cloud services for our live sites and are amazed at how we almost don't have to manage the servers at all with Linode. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Emilia Janczak of Linode

Hi Jennifer,

Our goal is to provide straightforward pricing, we are happy to clear up any questions you may have. You can reach our team 24/7 here: https://www.linode.com/support/

Owner
What do you like best?

Linode have the latest technology, and are really expanding their offerings to cover more infrastructure use-cases, such as firewalls and virtual networks. Their support is amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They can be slower to market than other providers - some of the features they’ve added recently were already available with other providers. However this is understandable as (unlike others) Linode are independently owned and self-funded.

Some new features only come to a few data centres - such as object storage. It would be nice to see a feature fully rolled out to all data centres. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cloud computing and storage at scale, but with reasonable costs, and on enterprise-grade hardware. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
What do you like best?

We’ve customer since 2007. We have gradually moved all our infrastructure to Linode because they provide great products, almost yearly upgrades and have a very fast, super friendly and very knowledgable support. Over the years they added many datacenters and additional products and by that provide a very useful range of services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish they would a support for global IP’s to even more easily provide failover and server transfers between datacenters Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All our infrastructure is now hosted at Linode. The new management tool and api’s make it easy to handle and integrate. They have a reasonable and very straightforward pricing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

System Administrator, Webmaster
What do you like best?

Linode offers one of the a widest ranges of virtual private servers (VPS) from very powerful to relatively minimalist/inexpensive. They have stable datacentres/servers with professional uptime, high bandwidth/speed, DDoS protection. They may have a small team but everyone makes effort to be especially helpful & friendly. Their website's interface is good so their VPS are easy to administer; they offer several options for logging into a remote shell including for emergency maintenance like over world wide web (WWW) or SSH into the datacentre your VPS is on then into that, in case you lost SSH connection to that itself. They also have excellent terms of service including more freedom of expression/speech (seemingly Constitution-respecting Americans) than any European VPS companies ever allow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This isn't such a VPS' company's fault on their own, but I wish any such as Linode would have some open hardware able to run GNU/Linux-libre, and not just GNU operating systems using Linux kernel with binary blobs, but there's probably a scarcity of open hardware and it may cost more to run for less power in the sense of system resources. I also wished they offered real Unix (*BSD, OpenSolaris/IllumOS) as ISOs to select other than just 'custom ISO,' but most/all do work as custom ISO! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should know how to use GNU/LInux and/or have help that does and/or be able to afford more services so Linode can help you with that (unless you're installing a custom ISO.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

running informational/educational/news/discussion websites... has been an extremely reliable server for a competitive price Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AN
What do you like best?

Our uptime has been great. We've had our current node for over six years and very rarely do we have any downtime at all. Scheduled maintenance from time to time as expected. I think we've only been down perhaps once for a short period of time. Support is quick to respond the few times we've needed help. Daily snapshots are a huge plus as well. Planned updates are always scheduled during the night hours in order to cause minimum disruption. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Support at times doesn't quite comprehend the question being asked and has to make rounds through support staff before an answer to the question asked is provided. This had to do with billing and not the node itself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our Linode server serves our public websites as well as some private sites for staff. With great uptime, our staff has always been able to perform their duties. Suggested upgrades are provided when updated plans come about. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Software Engineer
What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to get up and running, and that it offers all of the services you need to start a basic project. I don't have to know the complex alphabet soup of AWS in order to get my apps up and running. Top it off with free managed Kubernetes master nodes, and you've got a pretty powerful platform to build and expand your apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The biggest downside is the lack of ecosystem support. Everyone supports the big clouds, Linode may not have as much support. Even so, it has a strong developer-centric approach, good APIs, and all of its services are easy to use and understand. It's not hard to adopt despite the fact that Linode isn't as small. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linode makes sense for projects that don't need everything AWS has to offer, and you just want compute, memory, storage, object storage, and/or managed Kubernetes, then AWS is for you (and that is a very robust set of capabilities). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've deployed multiple dockerized blogs, websites, and app frontends and backends to Linode. It was great how fast I could get set up and running. I was impressed with how fast the nodes were, the fair and clear pricing, and the generous bandwidth caps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Linode offers everything I need to run my business in one place, but unlike, say, AWS, regular people can actually understand how to use load balancers and object storage and backups and DNS and on and on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You do have to do more personal management of your tools with Linode than with, for example, Heroku. But the latter is far more expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Problems? Who doesn’t need web hosting these days? Linode is cheaper than Heroku and easier to use than AWS. It’s a great balance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Developer
What do you like best?

The flexibility to scale servers quickly with new/larger resources and safe in the knowledge that the full server image is backed up and transferred seamlessly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the UI has been difficult to navigate previously, although the new cloud manager admin UI is a marked improvement Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A great cloud service & infrastructure provider, definitely a strong competitor in the marketplace. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Well priced quality hosting for a variety of services, from web hosting and game servers - scaling with ease and at sensible cost Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

It's fast. You can trust Linode for your business sensitive cloud applications. And the pricing strategy is unbearable, no hidden or surprise prices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not a real disliking, but if you are not a command line advocate, servers deployed on Linode (nor any other Linux server providers) won't be an easy option to manage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I personally love Linode, but what works for me can probably not be your best option. It will depend on your needs, your budget and your system administration expertise. Be sure to check all pricing options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Everytime I need to deploy a server, or require a self managed server for hosting any application, Linode is my first option. As I come from a Linux background, choosing what to install or making my own configurations has given me the best results in performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

It is dead simple to use. If nothing else, check out their dashboard. And the guides are amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot for my use cases. Maybe a CLI tool to manage my settings Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get a coupon, like the ones the podcast Talk Python to Me are offering, and try it for a month. Nothing to lose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Hobby projects,some lightweight ML tasks (but I would advise against it if you do not have a GPU instance) and web scrapping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Tech Consultant
What do you like best?

The VPS deployment process is really straightforward, the nanodes work very well and are very affordable; I also like the DNS services integration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything! I'm very pleased with my service from Linode. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I keep servers for my personal and business use, both to run services I rely on, like web, and to test and develop apps for my customers. The main benefit I think, compared to other cloud providers, is simplicity, focus and price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Independent Educational Technology Consultant
What do you like best?

Linode is my go-to to bring up a quick Linux VM in the cloud. I've hosted a few production projects there, as well. Great customer service, very reasonable prices. A good value and customer experience overall. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My use of Linode is very specific -- they're good at what they're good at -- so I don't expect Linode to be more than it is. Therefore, I'm never disappointed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's fast an inexpensive. Saves me a lot of time when all I need is a flat, quick and dirty (but super reliable) server. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Full stack developer
What do you like best?

Maybe the best of linode is its simplicity, about creating servers and costs of them, no hidden fees. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sincerely, I haven't found something to dislike till now... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linode is wonderful, but maybe it could think on creating a service like elastic beanstalk, of AWS,that would be very cool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use my linodes to scrape and process data, such data is consumed for my apps, I have my linodes permanently running 24/7 without interruptions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.