Linode Reviews & Product Details

Linode Reviews

1-25 of 52 total Linode reviews
Associate Software Developer

"Awesome VPS"

What do you like best?

It's moderate, adaptable, and dependable. I likewise love that they have server farms spread out over the United States so we can turn out to be geologically different pretty effectively - and rapidly. Propelling off another hub or updating existing hubs is extremely simple and you would be unable to locate a more practical arrangement.

What do you dislike?

You truly should be a developer to utilize this arrangement. On the off chance that you can't work in command line, at that point you will presumably experience difficulty with Linode.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In the event that you needn't bother with Windows server, or paritcular conveyance, Linode has all you have to oversee your infrastrucutre in some snap and on the off chance that you are searching for steady, huge brand, Linode is your first decision. They are awesome.

I am able to make our framework increasingly strong and reasonable. It additionally offers reinforcements and burden balancers with the goal that we can moderate danger of ddos and geological inactivity issues. I use linode for facilitating customer destinations. With private servers we had got the chance to deal with all foundation and episode, and clearly pay the lodging in datacenter for our framework. Moving to linode we had diminished our expense by half and helped execution.

AI

"Great, Reliable VPS service, with worldwide support"

What do you like best?

Linode is one of the best VPS providers on the market. They have multiple datacenters throughout the world, and their support is very responsive! I usually experienced 1 'bigger' (which means < 10 mins) downtime a year, which was mostly caused by some power failure. It's very easy to manage & to set up.

You can also create pre-defined plans which will help you to set up a new instance with the same details, which is great for development purposes.

What do you dislike?

They didn't have block storage for a long time, and their packages are not as customizable as DigitalOcean. They look a bit old-school, but you can manage everything you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't look for other service provider :)

We used to have our own servers hosted in co-location facilities. As per Murphy's law, hardware failures occurred in the worst moments. We wanted to get rid of this risk, and wanted to outsource our hosting to a reliable 3rd party provider. Since then, we could focus more on the development, other than the maintenance / hardware failures.

Software Engineer Internship

"A competitive VPS"

What do you like best?

I really love how Linode is well priced. Since I started using them, they have increased the amount of memory that you get with each box and are constantly improving their service. I also had the misfortune recently of misplacing my 2nd factor authentication, and their support was extremely helpful in aiding me to recover my account.

What do you dislike?

The web portal definitely feels dated. Despite all of the awesome services they offer, this is one area where they definitely need improvement. That being said, they have made improvements since I started using the site, and it does provide all of the information you need. It would just be nice if it matched up better with the styling of their main landing page.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Feel free to look around at other VPS solutions. If you are looking for one which gives you an ample amount of RAM and great support, Linode is a choice which you won't regret.

I primarily use Linode for hosting a few small Rails apps. I like how I am able to manage everything myself in that regard. This has helped me by giving me a quick and easy place where I know I can go to to solve a problem.

Software Developer
Computer Games

"linode one of the top 3 vps hosts of the market"

What do you like best?

The simplicity in creating linodes, recreating, expanding, to do backups is the best, also the price/space-bandwidth. Also offers possibility to manage dns for all my registered domains in a single place. I already have ran jenkins, sonar, nginx, mysql, postgresql and others software and all ran without problems of performance.

What do you dislike?

Basically it offers you a shell with diverses linux with this you can do everything, but I would like to have also support for microsoft systems. Also will be cool if they have wizards more for newbie users to configure the linux, access fileserver and etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It basically offers a full access linux bash in a clean linux, you can do everything you want, but somethings are hard to configure like e-mails and others, then service solutions will be best in the case, but if you want full control and customizations linode is the right choice.

I had the problem to use local machines as my servers in my products, that had the problem of miss of energy or internet that can affect my customers, using cloud services solved it perfectly. Also make me more comfortable since i know it will be online, and I'll receive e-mails in case of pane like machine shutdown, memory/cpu high usage or disk without capacity and other reminders.

Lead Web Engineer

"Great VPS Provider"

What do you like best?

They're constantly improving their services and always passing those improvements onto existing customers for free. I started in 2011 with a 512MB $20/month VPS (their smallest option at the time) and still pay $20/month but they've since upgraded my RAM to 4GB, my transfer from 1TB to 3TB, and my storage from 20GB HDD to 48GB SSD. They're very proactive with security and keeping me updated about infrastructure notifications, but also keeping out of my way when it comes to me managing my server.

What do you dislike?

I'm not really sure. I think they provide a tremendous amount of value for the price and I've never had a single complaint about them. I guess the one area they could probably improve is by adding more storage to their plans, or perhaps adding a plan that's just meant for storage (something akin to Amazon s3?).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need unmanaged VPS offerings, strongly consider Linode. They're fantastic.

I need web hosting but want to control the platform and don't mind maintaining servers. Their VPS offerings are perfect for that.

"The grandfather brand for your Business Cloud"

What do you like best?

Linode provides a various of Datacenter location, far from Dallas to Japan, London to Singapore. The best thing is, these DCs provide a geographical advantages, allowing companies to locate their servers to the nearest point for suiting their needs. In addition, Managed service is also a notable point that Linode provides, warmly taking care of the servers you rent. You will just need to raise a ticket, and the team will taken care of the task for you.

Moreover, hourly billing is a big plus. Unlike traditional providers, Linode's hourly billing rate is a great advantage for mission-critical tasks, while this drastically decrease the billing burden for companies, it also gives a spacious zone for developers to go on with their project, without worrying afterward billings.

What do you dislike?

About what my dislikes to Linode... If I have to talk about it, it would be the pricing, and security.

First on pricing, it is hugely disappointed when Linode cut off their discount for old clients, while the existing ones are not affected, new customers to Linode are unable to enjoy annual/biannual discount. Also there is rare to see Linode have promotions, it's a bit disappointed that customers are not able to enjoy welcome discounts.

Second on the security, Linode has been hacked a several times, this gives me uncomfortable to do business with them, however I still not desired alternative provider, Linode seems is my last resort for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for stable, big brand, Linode is your first choice.

The grandfathered brand gives us alot of faith in business with Linode, and also staying with them. Not only because of the brand reputation, also the stable service they provided in the past, that mostly builds our confidence to Linode.

President
Management Consulting

"Solid Service"

What do you like best?

It's affordable, scalable, and reliable. I also love that they have data centers spread out across the United States so we can become geographically diverse pretty easily - and quickly. Launching off a new node or upgrading existing nodes is really easy and you would be hard pressed to find a more cost effective solution.

What do you dislike?

You really need to be a developer to use this solution. The learning curve is that of a sysadmin. If you cannot work in command line then you will probably have trouble with Linode. Their admin isn't sexy but it gets the job done. It really has the look and feel of an IT product in that respect. I don't like that they do not have their own server management software in place. It doesn't have to be cPanel but they certainly need something better than what they have if they want to appeal to the maximum number of potential customers out there. Implementing SSLs was a little bit of a pain but we got through it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd make sure you find yourself a good admin software like Server Pilot. You are going to be doing a lot of work in command line so if you are comfortable there you will love this.

We are able to make our infrastructure more robust and affordable. It also offers backups and load balancers so that we can mitigate risk of ddos and geographical latency issues.

Head of I.T. and Online Marketing
Investment Management

"An great VPS hosting platform for anyone happy using a raw server"

What do you like best?

Uptime is great, value for money is great, support is really good. Decent choice in both data center locations and VPS sizes.

Backup service is also reliable and well priced

What do you dislike?

Would be good to have payment method other than credit card, also would be good to have attachable storage in the same way digital ocean does.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As long as your happy with a raw VPS then just do it.

I use linode for hosting client sites, a $40 VPS happily outperforms a $150 VPS with the big hosting companies.

Uptime is great, the majority of my servers have 100% uptime in the last 90 days. All clients are happy with performance, price (even including a margin for management) and reliability.

Implementaciones CRM + Desarrollos Web

"Great Support and Always upgrading the Hardware specs"

What do you like best?

I've been Linode customer for 5 years with a dozen of servers - I love the fact that they give away free upgrades every year, SSD, double RAM, more CPU, etc.

Who doesn't want free upgrades?

Support is great, I've have hardware failures, DDoS, SPAM abuse complaints etc, and they have been always great.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is not on par with digital ocean, but I can still read digital ocean how-to so no big deal

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a large system that requires a few server, consider the managed serviced is $100/server.

We have a few shared hosts using CPANEL

We have suiteCRM / sugarCRM hosting in there with big customers (10K invoices per month / 500K customer database)

Principal Member of Technical Staff

"Highly Reliable; Great Support"

What do you like best?

I have been using Linode for 5 years now and I have experienced almost no downtime. The only downtime I experienced were scheduled ones related to upgrades where I was notified about the upgrade plan with clear and precise instructions well in advance and I could choose when to perform the upgrade at my own convenience.

They also have a support channel on IRC which is great for interacting with Linode staff and users in realtime and getting issues resolved faster. However, note that this is not an official support channel. Their official support available in the Linode Manager site is also great.

Another good thing about Linode is that it comes with a very easy to use DNS manager, at no extra cost, where one can maintain multiple domain zones. The domain zone configuration options are pretty standard and allows configuration of SOA, NS, MX , A/AAAA, CNAME, TXT and SRV records.

What do you dislike?

Linode is not the cheapest VPS hosts available out there, although I don't mind paying a little extra for the great reliability and support they offer.

Although it is very easy to setup, making major configuration changes like resizing disks etc. could be simplified further. The current process requires going through detailed instructions, that needs to be understood and followed precisely.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are hosting websites, you might want to set Linode Name Servers (ns1.linode.com, ns2.linode.com, etc.) as the nameservers for your domain and then use the DNS Manager available within Linode Manager to configure DNS A records to map your desired domain names to the IP address of your Linode VPS.

I host MathB.in (http://mathb.in) on Linode which is a math pastebin used by IRC channel users, university students and others who like to share math snippets.

Titolare unico

"Linode review"

What do you like best?

I've choosen linode for two primary factors

The first one is assistance: the assistance is only via ticket system, no phone calls or other systems, that take a lot of time in bot customer and assistance side. Every time i've opened a ticket i've got response in minutes 5-15 minutes at every time of day or night. People taking assistance is very prepared in every filed.

The second point is perfromance. Offering all VPS on SSD servers the performance as can you image boost up, and another thing is that the assure you quality of service. In this sense they assure you for example that each server manage a max number or vps, for example if you buy a little vps you are hosted on server with at maximum 40 other VPS, if you buy a bigger vps you are migrated on servers with at maximum of 20 VPS hosted on hit.

My personal uptime is around 99,99%, every incident is managed by they self without contact me, and every time there's an incident they contact custmer to update about the status of fixup.

I've used other services like: load balancers, backup and slave DNS. All these services had worked like a charm.

I love them!

What do you dislike?

The only thing i disapopint a bit, is that you can't install your own distribution (i tried to install PfSense but i wasn't able to do that) and that they don't offer Windows installation VPS, that should be necessary in some cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you don't need Windows server, or paritcular distribution, Linode has all you need to manage you infrastrucutre in some click.

Before using linode, we got all our VPS hosted on our server in a datacenter, but after some years the server become smaller, and we got to decide what to do: buy new servers or migrate to external virtual infrastructure?

With private servers we had got to manage all infrastructure and incident, and obviusly pay the housing in datacenter for our infrastructure.

Migrating to linode we had reduced our cost by 50% and boosted performance.

AD

"A solid VPS provider"

What do you like best?

Linode has what many cheap VPS providers do not have, a native load balancer. This allows me to easily setup a load balanced web server without having to add additional servers to manage the balancing. It helps when doing updates and testing to be able to remove single servers out of the mix and re-add.

What do you dislike?

Linode has had a few instances of downtime in the past couple years, which lasted a decent amount of time. I also dislike how they had, at least at once point, a pretty low threshold for IO Ops, resulting in me getting notifications that I was over utilizing the VPS by simply doing a reindex of an ElasticSearch install on a 2gb instance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Evaluate your uptime needs before you make a decision. Other than that, it's been fantastic.

Working for an agency, we have many clients that solve many problems. Our largest client on Linode is a big publishing magazine.

Partner

"Affordable quality hosting"

What do you like best?

They provide good quality VPSs for very affordable prices. Their support is also great. It's super easy to spin up a new linode and if you only need it for a short time it hardly costs anything. This frees you up to test different setups and machine specs easily and cheaply.

What do you dislike?

They've been under major attack since Christmas which has resulted in a lot of down time. While I understand this can happen to anyone, it's been a major inconvenience and has made us and many of our clients which rely on our servers being up question our setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't get hung up on the fact that they were taken down deter you from using them. They were specifically targeted and are gaining an even stronger, more stable network as a result. If you need a cluster setup, try to find ways of spreading your servers across multiple locations in case a single location is brought down.

Affordable hosting for web-based software.

Software Engineer
Real Estate

"LInode is great for Virtual Servers"

What do you like best?

- Servers are quick to provision

- Servers are not oversold

- Downtime is rare except for the recent DDOS attack which would have taken any hosting provider down

- Ample supply of servers at each datacenter

- Servers & Plans are updated regularly with new hardware / features at no additional cost or reduced cost

- Support has been quick and friendly in the few cases I've needed them to look at something

What do you dislike?

- No private subnet option like AWS has

- Backup images can only be used in the same datacenter as the existing server

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a virtual private server provider you really can't go wrong with Linode. The feature-set they provide is comparable to other big players such as Digital Ocean and they update their infrastructure regularly.

We provide a Software-as-a-Service application to small/medium/large firms in the real estate sector. Using Linode allows us to scale virtual servers easily to accommodate that need.

Owner
Internet

"Good interface plus options for setting up your own VPS machines."

What do you like best?

I like that Linode puts virtually all the power into your hands to configure machines as you like from the start. When you have custom software or security concerns, there's nothing like going with your sense of an ideal configuration for that solution.

What do you dislike?

They will never have the same level of enterprise-ready infrastructure as AWS. Does that really matter? In some business circumstances, yes. Mostly though, Linode is fine and much more fun than AWS.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linode has had some DNS issues in the past, and were recently subject of a DDoS attack, which caused me some grief for a day. They are capable of getting straightened out. They will never be as stable for critical infrastructure as AWS. Unless you really need AWS though, Linode is perfectly great and actually easier to use.

I host applications written in a variety of frameworks and use Linode to virtual host a bunch of apps and clients, plus I'll dedicate a single Linode box for those clients that require to be separated for privacy and security reasons.

Application Services Developer
(10,001+ employees)

"Linode is my favorite choice for vps hosting"

What do you like best?

Linode has a very clear and powerful vps management interface which I find to be the best compromise between features and flexibility. Linode also helps maintain (and incentivizes) a community based documentation system which is far better than any hosting companies documentation that I've ever seen, I would even reference their docs for people not using Linode since the information is largely universal.

What do you dislike?

Linode is not the cheapest and the fanciest of vps hosts, there are two other big players in the market that are very popular. Linode seems to keep their prices reasonable by not offering the most incredible management interface, although it is good and it's KISS style can be very helpful. Linode could be cheaper like one of it's competitors but the Linode support team is pretty awesome and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that for the bottom of the barrel.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is super easy to get started with an inexpensive node and try different things and they are super easy to start and stop anytime.

I am currently using Linode for my personal website as well as for a server I use for a variety of experiments and as a work horse for when I need a linux server anytime.

Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer

"Incredible value for your dollar"

What do you like best?

It's very simple to spin up new server. They are fast and inexpensive. I've never had performance problems with my Linode VPS. I appreciate that they offer an API that I intend to hook into via Ansible to provision servers.

What do you dislike?

Lately it seems like there have been a lot of critical Xen Maintenance work to be done that require server reboots. Since I'm unable to schedule these reboots, it's very hard for me minimize downtime. For instance if our web and database servers are scheduled to reboot at different times, that's potentially two hours of downtime, possibly not even in the same day. That's frustrating for our customers.

There has also been a DDOS attack on Linode lately which although it isn't their fault, it has been causing intermittent slowdowns and downtime for us. Any provider can be susceptible to this but I think larger more expensive hosting providers like Rackspace might be able to mitigate it easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have not used their managed services but it is available and as we grow as a company that is more likely.

All of my personal and business hosting is done through Linode. I love the flexibility of having my own VPS rather than shared hosting where I might not be able to run all the apps I currently run.

CEO/Founder

"Lean, mean, server hosting machine."

What do you like best?

Linode gets the job done. Very easy for our development team to get up and running initially. Spinning up new servers or expanding our current server capacity/storage only take a few clicks. I personally find a lot of value in the automated emails when your servers hit certain usage thresholds.

The reporting tools are very visual and easy to understand as well, and the price is very, very affordable for what you get.

What do you dislike?

If we ever need to add compliance to our servers, such as PCI or ISO, we will need to switch to a different provider, as they do not offer these certificates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linode has their niche. They aren't sexy when it comes to add-on features, security certificates, managed hosting, etc. However, they get the job done at a cheap price, and easy set up/maintenance.

- Reliable hosting

- Quick implementation and management

- Scalable server stack in the cloud

Freelancer
Internet

"A good experience with a great provider"

What do you like best?

Good performance of VPS and broadband speed, also, good stability and great customer support.

I don't had problems with frequency, but the times I needed help, they provide me good and fast support.

What do you dislike?

Don't have an storage solution like S3 from Amazon

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Linode is a good provider and cost effective, you can deploy small application using his cheapest VPS and that will work great. Also, you have the capability to scale from that VPS to a bigger one in only few minutes.

I am hosting different kind of application using different programming languages for my own use and for my clients.

For example, I am hosting Django applications, Ruby on rails Application and few other different programming languages.

Also, I was hosting email servers for my clients.

Senior Digital Strategist

"Solid, reliable VPS service at reasonable prices."

What do you like best?

Solid performance at a good price. Although competitors occasionally drop below Linode's prices, they've remained consistently competitive and now offer some of the lowest prices in the established VPS market. That "established" part is important, because it's always easy to find a random startup that's selling cheap VPS instances. Linode has been around for a long time, and it seems to be healthy with responsive customer service.

What do you dislike?

The lack of an extremely low-end instance for small but isolated support applications can be frustrating if you're building out prototypes. DigitalOcean's $5 512MB instance is just right for a lot of lightweight apps, but Linode's smallest offering is $10 for 2MB. other than that, however, it's hard to find fault.

Our midsized digital agency needs hosting infrastructure for our assorted web sites and custom applications. Linode lets us run the show without taking on responsibility for physical hardware.

Research and Teaching Assistant
(10,001+ employees)

"Best service ever from a virtual host provider"

What do you like best?

Linode provides incredible VPS service and they let you control everything. Some other VPS providers require you to autoconfigure the network or limit your choice of kernel or distribution, but Linode puts it all in the customer's hands. I have been using Linode for more than 6 years and they have upgraded my systems several times for free.

What do you dislike?

It's too bad they got rid of the old plans where you could pay for longer periods of time for a discount.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's too bad you missed the old plans with multi-year discounts, but Linode is still the best out there when it comes to VPS.

We use Linode for any site for which shared hosting would not be sufficient, but a local server would be overkill.

Software Consultant

"Cheap but insecure"

What do you like best?

Linode is relatively stable, and their pricing is good for the performance they offer. They have a long history, and they are not likely to go out of business soon.

What do you dislike?

Linode has an extremely poor record of security. They and their customers have been hacked through vulnerabilities in their software. This is extremely unnerving, and we're moving to get off Linode. Their web interface also feels pretty dated, though that is not the main reason why we wanted to get away from them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider very carefully if you or your customers can afford to be compromised by another Linode breach.

We wanted to host a website on a stable, cost effective platform.

Software Engineer

"Easy to use, great pricing"

What do you like best?

I have always loved Linode from the moment we chose to go with it.

The process of choosing a server location and configuration is very easy. Linode has a wide range of operating systems available and makes deploying them as easy as a single click of a button. The tools it offers for monitoring (called Longview) are just awesome: they are what they are advertised to be and are as minimal and easy-to-use as possible.

The node balancing feature is implemented very intuitively and you can choose to node-balance between various plans you have purchased based on different metrics.

The other thing I really like is the flat rate it applies to costs, so that you have a very clear view of your costs since the very beginning.

What do you dislike?

Managed features are somewhat expensive. Invoicing is also done in the background and I don't get as much transparency into that as I would like, unless I go to my dashboard and check it manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Compare its pricing with the rest of the world. You get to choose your own setup, you get to pick the exact configuration you want. And you get to pay for your uptime at a flat rate. Isn't that just awesome? Otherwise, you would have had bring a calculator to the table, just to figure out your basic operating costs for your server nodes.

I deployed a scalable solution to a number of nodes and they are right now facing the user base. They are basically preconfigured CentOS instances and are configured to run a Java box.

DevOps Director

"Good Product - needs UI/UX Overhaul"

What do you like best?

I like the advanced features and ability to essentially do whatever you want with your vps - including custom os loading - and I also like the potential of glish.

What do you dislike?

The ui/ux - not confusing - just not modern - needs an overhaul in order to really compete with digitalocean as well as aws.

Get rid of stack scripts and let's start getting some one click deploys - stackscripts are great - but they should be used in terms of meta data provided during launch - eg like digital ocean user-data

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it's great - just know what your doing.

automation - server administration - so the same things are not repeated over and over!

AI

"Highly customizable and excelent value"

What do you like best?

Linode has excellent support which is always reachable either via ticket or even in their IRC channel. They have a flexible product line and you can always up or down-grade (a lot of providers do not allow downgrades). Pricing is simple, clear and there are no hidden costs. The control panel although old is straight forward and well layed out. You can select mount points for disks and kernels which are things you can't do at many of their competitors. The instances are quickly setup and have little to no downtime. IPv6 is also fully supported as well as an un-metered private LAN within each datacenter. Bandwidth is also pooled across all nodes which is awesome.

What do you dislike?

Communication is slow when it comes to major incidents. Customers are left in the dark and little information is provides. Such a the DDOS attack over the 2015 holidays. As of today (Jan 13th, 2016) no information other than there was an attack has been provides.

I wish they would support booting from ISO or iPXE. It would also be very cool if the offered a private network across availability zones.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give them a try, cost is low as they offer hourly billing.

I am able to host sites across the world simply and effectively at a fair price. I no longer have the need to co-locate my own hardware which saves a lot of money and time.

Linode Pricing