Greenshot Reviews & Product Details

What is Greenshot?

Greenshot is a free and open source screenshot utility optimized for productivity

Greenshot Profile Details

Greenshot Reviews

1-25 of 95 total Greenshot reviews
Associate Project Manager

"A very useful tool"

What do you like best?

I can take screenshots to regions that interest me too easily and then make use of them later. I love being able to save my images directly in a predefined directory since it saves me much more time. It has compatibility with several products of the Office package and I can upload the image to imgur quickly. Best of all, it is a very light software, easy to install and use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it takes a bit to capture an image, since it acts in the background and needs to be re-executed. In addition, the editing interface, although it has very useful tools, these are very few.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Greenshot is one of those applications that you should always have on your PC. It is a software that perfectly understands the need to make screenshots of everything quickly, accurately and efficiently. I definitely recommend it.

I thought it would not depend so much on this application, but after several months of use, I have been able to take screenshots for several tasks of my work, such as sending an email or documenting a process. It has become over time one of my favorite tools.

IT Support Specialist

"Great screenshot tool for every user"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, many options of where to open your screenshot. you can send it directly to an email or document, it even has its own built-in image editor. I use it often when I am creating an instructional document. It allows me to screenshot just what I need, import it into the image editor, add a circle or arrow or even additional text.

What do you dislike?

There aren't really any that I have come across. I guess it would be nice if it came pre-installed on every computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best screenshot tool that I have used. It is wonderful and I highly recommend it.

It replaces the default screenshot tools built into Windows. It is far more powerful with many more options. I use the image editor often, mainly for drawing arrows or circling what I was the user to know. Great tool for aiding in the creation of instructional documents.

Director of Audience Development

"Better than snipping tool"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is like an amped up snipping tool. It gives you option for your snip like the ability to zoom in and snip the exact same location or just a window or the whole screen. I didn't think I would use it as much as I do, but it is way handier than the standard snipping tool. It also gives you options to edit your screenshot within the program instead of using paint or another image-editing program.

What do you dislike?

I wish it would just default to a stadard "select your location" snip, but every time you open it, you have to make the selection of what kind of snip you want to make. I guess I am frustrated that I have to make an additional selection after clicking on the program. Also, the zoom is sometimes so Zoomed in that you can't figure out where you are on the screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GIve it a try - it could solve some simple problems you didn't even know you had.

Usually I am just grabbing something from my screen to share with a colleague to show an image rather than re-typing an answer. Works good for grabbing the image of an email that went out and its results - I can just grab the image of the email to include rather than the file.

"Great screen capturer"

What do you like best?

Its very easy to use it. It stays open in memory and with the press of the print key it launches and you can select the area to capture. If you click on the icon it lets you do different actions, like full screen capture, window capture, and even edit image files.

What do you dislike?

For now, I havent had any problems or crashes using it, only, that sometimes you have to click on the task bar for the print key to launch the program. I cant understand why, but its a minor problem, other than that works perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Most people that I know used paint to do their screenshots, wich was hardly efficient, other with Windows 7 discovered the snipping tool, but when I show them Greenshot they instantly make it their default program to capture screen.

Its very easy to do captures with it. I have to make work manuals for different programs and it eases the work a lot, I can make anotations, capture certain regions and more. Also use it to send errors of different programs to providers.

"The screen capturer I always recommend"

What do you like best?

I like that it can be activated with a simple key press, it launches almost instantly and directly for screen capturing and when done selecting the screenshot area it show a list of options. If you select "save as" it automatically names the screenshot with the date and name of the windows you are taking the screenshot! And all this, for free.

What do you dislike?

I dont dislike anything, it does the work it was made for flawlessly. Never had any problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Since I discovered Greenshot, I can only recommend it, works fast and has made taking screen captures a ridiculously easy task. When a new computer is installed its one of the first programs we install. Everybody that I have recommended it loves it without a doubt. And dont forget that is totally free to use !

It has helped us made easier and in seconds a task that without the correct tools can take 1 minute without a problem. Even users who actually didnt know how to make screenshots are now using it without any problems.

"All you need for Screen Capture"

What do you like best?

The thing that I like the most from Greenshot is how easy it made the task of taking screenshots, I dont even need to think, only press the print key and it automatically appears allowing me to select the area I want to capture. I obviusly like the fact that is totally free (But I've donated to the developer).

What do you dislike?

I can say I dislike anything about greenshot, since I started using it, it has worked perfectly, never hanged or crashed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Install it and enjoy about how easy is now to do screen captures instantly. You lose nothing, its even free, this way you wont regret it if you dont like it, but I asure you that wont be the case.

Well if you can call a problem to take screenshots, then Greenshot totally solves the problem. Taking a screenshot was never this easy. Its fantastic

"Must have for capturing screen"

What do you like best?

I can make screen captures any moment any time thanks to Greenshot. Its stays executing on memory allowing you to take a screenshot when you want.

Other thing I like is tahat it allows you todo different actions only selection the area to capture, saving time in the process.

And its also free, which is totally great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes (very rare) you need to reset the program because it doesnt launch when you press the print key. But basically thats the only thing I dislike about the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend the use of greenshot, its free, work very fast and makes very easy to do screen captures of your computer.

Basically Screen capturing, with the added of the time you save using it compared to other programs or procedures to capture your computer screen, like copy and paint, snipping tool, and others.

(10,001+ employees)

"Great software for screenshots in Windows."

What do you like best?

Easily take screenshots and save them automatically in any folder you prefer. Free and Open Software so no need to pay or worry about licenses. Easy and light one function software fulfilling a need not covered in Windows. Linux and Mac have this embedded without the need of downloading any software.

What do you dislike?

Imgur integration, I don't need it and will never use it but there is no option to not install it as far as I am aware

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you come from MacOSX or Linux this program is the same as the embedded function in your former OS.

Taking screenshots is a lot easier, without the need of paint, gimp, photoshop or any external program.

Associate Attorney

"My favorite screenshot program"

What do you like best?

I always use this open-source software constantly to capture screenshots, especially when I am documenting a procedure where capturing the mouse pointer can facilitate the task of showing only the objective of interest. I like it because it is very light, but easy to use and intuitive. I can capture only the parts that interest me on the screen, including the videos that I play without any problem. The included editor is also quite simple to use and offers very useful editing tools.

What do you dislike?

The image editor can be improved much more and include many more editing tools, although the application is designed to be very light. Sometimes it takes a while to take a screenshot.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I always recommend having this software installed on each computer. It is much more useful than it seems. With this software you can make the adage "an image is worth a thousand words" a reality. And the best thing is that it's free!

I have almost never had any problems with this software. I have always used it to add images to my emails and documents and it is necessary to highlight the most important. I have also used it only to take captures of what I am interested in saving to see later.

Director
Computer Networking

"Software product manager"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is running in the background and can be always activated by hotkey. I mostly use capture region, but other option hotkeys are also available (window , full screen and so). Capturing is accurate at the pixel level using "looking glass" for selection.

Captured image can be copied to clipboard or open in greenshot image editor (these options I use), or open in other programs - paint, power point , word etc.

image editor is simple, and have almost all what you have - annotation (text, shapes, counters) in different colors and borders. The content can be copied to clipboard, saved to file, or sent to other programs (outlook, power point, word etc.)

And it is free!

What do you dislike?

I would like to have a saved history of previously captured images.

As a software product manager I often need to comment some software functionality or report bugs to developers. greenshot gives me simple solution (simplicity is a benefit) that allows me to easily attach some images (screen regions) into email to my colleagues.

Freelance Tester (QA)

"Best Screenshot App I've Ever Used on Windows"

What do you like best?

The hassle-free process, where you can select between a lot of option after taking a screenshot. Not only that, the "Capture last region" is working flawlessly, especially in creating software documentation where I need to screenshoot the exact same window on same position over and over again.

It has selection after the shoot, whether you want to copy, save, or edit them. So you can enter edit mode and allowed to switch to other application. Sometimes you just need to shoot it first, right?

And I can use the editor by using "open image from file" or "clipboard". Very nice!

What do you dislike?

It is hard to find what I dislike of this application, but hey, let's nitpick something. If I must, it is the pricetag of Mac App, while the windows one is free. But well, an app can only going as much as their coffe's money, right?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This app is free with donation, and it has almost all of your need to capture your computer screen and annotate any image you have. So, rather than cluttered image editor application when you only want to show a point on an image, this app will do it very well.

Screenshooting for documentation never been easy. Capturing bugs and any other problem on app we are working on is smooth. And moreover, we can use single image to many purpose thanks to the image editor feature.

Marketing Specialist
Consumer Goods

"Amazing screenshot tool"

What do you like best?

What i like best about greenshot is the simplicity of the interface, which allows for easy screenshot. The file saving feature is also good. The software can run in the system tray, which reduces the interference with other functions in the pc. Greenshot has really assisted me in taking screenshots on my notebook which has a faulty keyboard

What do you dislike?

The software is really good. there is not much to dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Greenshot is easy to use. The saved screenshots cab be easily retrieved and shared. the fact that it is free makes it worth the try.

Greenshot has reduced the strain of taking screenshots during presentations.

Staff Internal Auditor
Financial Services

"Straightforward, simple, and intuitive"

What do you like best?

Many applications do not have an easy or convenient way to capture the contents of a screen, be it a combination of character hotkeys, pulling up a separate program, or even accessing it from the widget/tools from the browser bar. Greenshot is intuitive - it uses the "Print Scrn" key, enables a drag box, and the capture shows up in its own window, automatically copied to the clipboard. That's all it does, but that's all it needs to do. The grab is given a unique name, so "saving as" is always different, even if the grab is the same exact capture, but one second later.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything to dislike. Greenshot is compact and doesn't try to do anything else beyond screen grabs.

Many applications do not have an organic way to collect or re-display content. With Greenshot I can do it anyway.

Acting Crime Analysis/GIS Supervisor
Law Enforcement

"So easy to access, no need to click buttons!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you do not need to click around or press several buttons in order to take a simple screenshot. I also like that you can save or open the screenshot automatically in a program of your choice, without having to right click, then save, then reopen for editing in another program.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have found so far that I dislike is that it does not allow freeform snipping.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it! The program is very inexpensive and for a Mac, it can be purchased for only a few dollars. For Microsoft Windows users, there is even better news! If you're running a PC instead of a MacBook, then you're in luck - there is no fee! For other programs, take SnagIt for instance, you'd be paying around $50 for a permanent copy of the software. The one thing that SnagIt has that Greenshot doesn't is the inherent ability to screen capture and recognize specific text. On the other hand, Greenshot allows you to customize the operation of the program via assigned hot keys.

There are many times where we need to snip parts of a video. Sometimes, when you try to do that with other tools such as the Windows Snipping Tool, the mouse pointer or the cursor is accidentally left on the screen. With Greenshot, that becomes less likely to happen as you never have to maneuver the mouse ... all you do is press the printscreen key on the keyboard.

"Greenshot Review"

What do you like best?

First of all it is open source and free to use. Either you are company or a single one you can use it by downloading through its website.

It is light weight screen capture software.

Also it provides many options to take screenshot like region, full window, etc.

And you can also configure its shotcut to take screenshot.

What do you dislike?

After taking screenshot it saves on clipboard but sometimes it doesn't save and when we restart this software then again it starts working fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recomend it to the friends and colleagues to use this tool because it is light weight and easy to use.

Taking screenshots of my windows, documents to attach in the mail or in file.

IT Support Specialist
Human Resources

"Flawless, Free, and Underrated"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is Feature-Rich, User Friendly, and Easy for Admins to setup ahead of time for users. This is stellar software for anyone from the Individual Consumer, up to the top of the Fortune 50.

There are dozens of configurable features, from hot-keys, to where, how, and what you'd like to do with your screenshots. You can screenshot an area, a window, the full screen, or even an application.

You can choose to send your screenshots directly to the image editor if you'd like, rather than choosing every time, which will easily allow you to customize everything exactly the way you like.

What do you dislike?

In some older versions, there were memory/crashing issues... As of lately, none.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't just install it and feel like it's going to work exactly the way you want! NOTHING WILL! Take some time to explore the preferences and settings. Set the software up to work the way that you want! This is some really solid software, that I can't recommend more.

P.S. If you like it, SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!

Screen Capture, light image manipulation, Documentation, End-User Training.

Oracle Master User - Order to Cash
Oil & Energy

"Nice screenshotting software, but little issues"

What do you like best?

It's great for if you need to take screenshots and then annotate them.

I like that you can choose each time you create a screenshot what to do with it and where to edit it.

You can specify what region to capture (window / screen / just an IE window, etc.), so if you use multiple monitors, you're not constantly cropping your screenshots down to what you actually wanted to capture.

There are a ton of annotation options, plus you can decide if you want to capture mouse pointers with the screenshot.

The software will send the screenshot to a number of different programs for editing or embedding (Outlook, Word, your clipboard, your printer, etc.). You can set a default preference for this OR choose dynamically each time you are working with a screenshot.

What do you dislike?

I have an issue with this software and the "Snipping Tool" that is included with windows essentially "fighting" over the Print Screen functionality on my system. I with there was a way to change the hotkeys for that command. If there is, I haven't found it yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it. I have really only had good experiences with it.

Several things.

1) Support to users-- this allows me to take screenshots when creating instructions for users that are having issues with our ERP system and lets me annotate those screenshots to provide the clearest instructions for data entry.

2) Meeting audit requirements - Anytime we make changes to the ERP system, we much document through screenshots the changes that were made. This software makes that simple.

UA
(10,001+ employees)

"Screenshot application that should have a simple mode"

What do you like best?

Full featured and quick with tons of options for annotation and save. Default locations and settings save some time. Lots of options (capture cursor, regions, screen, etc.). Direct upload to imgur if that's your thing. Lives in system tray which is convenient.

What do you dislike?

It could be a tiny bit quicker. Skitch is still my favorite, even though it's no longer developed. Skitch is a tiny bit quicker and simpler to create attractive screenshots to share. Image icons in editor are too small and not that attractive. Still, they are effective.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set up your default save settings/location early on and you'll save yourself a step! Also take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Need to use this pretty much daily... several times per day. Sometimes it's far easier just to send an image than to explain in words. Great for explaining worksteps and multiple progressive steps through software.

"Great tool for support"

What do you like best?

The quickness and performance of the app. Also how easy capture a new screenshot. Also super light weight for the features.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be difficult to take a screenshot when doing something like hovering over an object with your mouse.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure it is set as a startup program. It is easy to forget to start it up.

I use it to help provide support to users. In an age where we are constantly communicating through email it can be difficult to explain something with text along. So having a tool that you can take a quick screenshot with and do some easy edits makes a huge difference in time savings.

Business Specialist
Utilities
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Great LITTLE Program"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of usage. You simple right-click, choose your capture preference--point and shoot. It is super easy to get just the right area coverage no matter what you a capturing.

What do you dislike?

It is not the prettiest program. It certainly doesn't have a whole lot of frills to over in terms of looks--in all honesty it looks like something out of Windows 98.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep Greenshot close by either as a pinned program or as a desktop icon. You may find you use it once or twice a month and then other times 50 times in a week. Either way it is consistent, easy to use, and easy to choose just what you need and nothing more. It has a blur function for people dealing with sensitive information. There are also quick icons to save, print, email, crop or highlight.

I use Greenshot to easily attach visuals to confusing email correspondence. It also makes capturing confidential information super easy with the "blur" option. I work with customer's SSN, home addresses, and payment history. Sometimes I need to print screen captures of accounts to do additional work but I don't need all this sensitive information out there in case the documents are compromised. I love the Greenshot can help ease the worry of this and in a quick and easy manner.

Coordinador de PdV
Telecommunications

"I use Greenshot as main program to capture screenshoots"

What do you like best?

Its the most complet program, its very easy to use but in the other side, u can configure many options

What do you dislike?

i dislike that no many option to upload images automatically, only ingur, i use other options to upload images to cloud

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend the program, no crashes, easy, and fast, no need many pc resources.

The main benefits its to help our clients problems using the capture that they do and send us, respect privacy and we dont need to control the remote computer.

US

"Best Screen Capture Tool"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is awesome. I have it set up so it runs silently in the background and I can take a screenshot using a keyboard shortcut and then output it to a variety of sources. It easily lets you save it to a default location, specify a location, open in their editing tool which is really helpful to quickly markup images. Anyone that can see my screen when I end up using greenshot always asks what program I am using and says they are going to go install it.

What do you dislike?

No complaints with greenshot other than the fact that I can't seem to record video using the version I currently have installed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it!

Helps me with my personal productivity as well as with documentation

Technology Architect

"Screen Capture and Simple Editor/Annotation"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is an easy to use screen shot tool that also allows for simple annotating (drawing) on the screen shot. There are many ways to customize the tool. Drawing arrows, text, boxes etc are all very easy. After you are done you can easily copy to clipboard or send to Outlook or several other tools.

Also nice that this is a free open source tool so you don't have to worry about a license if you want to share it with a friend.

What do you dislike?

Hard to say what I don't like. The developers have done a wonderful job. It does not take up much ram in the background, but I am old fashioned could always say shrink memory size it more if possible.

I do wish there was a scrolling screen shot feature, but not sure if i would use it or not as that could make for a very long JPG file.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out, but it would suggest in the Preferences/Settings to -> Destination tab select Open in Image Editor as the default output. So you can take advantage of the full power of Greenshot.

I have found I am much more efficient with Greenshot. I will send coworkers an email with screenshots that I have quickly marked up and they will understand what i am talking about more than trying to explain in text or verbally. "A picture says a thousand words".

I have even been known to screen shot a section of a Microsoft Word or PDF document I was sending to someone. So the Microsoft Word or PDF document was attached and I included an annotated screen shot of part of the document that I might want the email recipient to focus on when reviewing the document I sent.

Business Owner
Telecommunications

"My favorite screenshot program"

What do you like best?

Greenshot makes taking snapshots/screenshots of your computer screen so unbelievably easy!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything to complain about yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Greenshot offers ease of use and a variety of options of what to do with your screenshot. It's a "cut" above the rest.

In my position, we frequently need to email screenshots of client accounts, system issues, error messages, the list goes on, to different departments and clients. Before Greenshot the process was cumbersome, we had to use the PrtSc button and paste into the Paint program etc. Now we can click the icon on our toolbar or still use the PrtSc button on the keyboard, but we have multiple options including saving straight to a folder on our desktop. It has made my job a little easier, and that is a big benefit!

Freelance Writer
Writing and Editing

"I don't take screenshots without it."

What do you like best?

Being able to select a screen or region to screenshot is extremely useful. I have three monitors, and if I just used printscreen, I would end up with a screenshot of all three screens. Being able to select a screen, or a region of one screen, saves me a lot of time cropping. I also love the editing tool. It allows me to quickly crop, draw, obfuscate, or add text to any image.

What do you dislike?

When I save screenshots as JPG files, they are low quality and appear distorted I get around this issue by saving them as PNG files, but I would like to be able to save high quality JPGs too.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save your screenshots as PNG files instead of JPGs for higher quality images.

I have a Facebook page where I comment on company complaints. I take screenshots of the complaints and my comments to post on my page. This has made updating my page much easier. I used to have to take a huge screenshot, then open Photoshop and edit it there. Now I can just capture one small region of one screen and open the editing tool automatically to obfuscate the person's name and then save it to post on my page.

Greenshot User Ratings

9.7
Ease of Setup
Average: 9.3*
* Screen and Video Capture Category
Do you work for Greenshot?

Greenshot Categories on G2