Do you work for GarageBand?

GarageBand Reviews & Product Details

What is GarageBand?

GarageBand is Apple's preinstalled OS X music creation tool.

GarageBand Screenshots

GarageBand Profile Details

GarageBand Profile Details

Apple
Description
Apple’s three software platforms — iOS, OS X and watchOS — provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud.
1976

GarageBand Reviews

1-50 of 136 total GarageBand reviews

GarageBand Reviews

1-50 of 136 total GarageBand reviews
GarageBand review by Ted, Conan C.
Owner/Producer/Artist
(Myself Only)

"GarageBand The music production software for EVERYONE"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use and how it is always so modern. I also am a fan of the price! Anyone who owns an apple computer, can utilize the software, and this is a solid plus. The software is free in the app store MOST of the time and if it is not it is usually very affordable when you consider how great the software really is. You can spend many hours with this application creating music and enjoying how there are so many different sounds. The Sound library is great! It is very large and serves as a wonderful sound bank.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the sounds and their outdated nature. I really need more high quality and up to date sounds. I expect these sounds to be cutting edge and of the very highest quality. Sounds like the ones you are hearing in the current music that is playing on the radio. Sounds that are not like cheap or generally low quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would reccomend that you have TONS of space on your computer as well as RAM and that you not only use GarageBand but also give several other DAWs and music production software a try. Use those software alongside GarageBand. Garageband is compatible with most every hardware used for music production. Virtually every MIDI device is usable with GarageBand.

I am not solving any problems with GarageBand. Although it would seem like, with as wonderful a software as GarageBand that I could be solving "business problems" I actually can not say that as far as business is concerned that I am indeed able to control these issues by simply using GarageBand. Maybe in the way of its compatibility with other software that I use. Such as, ProTools and Logic Pro X. In that way yes, I am very fond of it's time saving nature. The compatibility and no need to modify or convert files in order to use them across all the apps I use, definitely save time. Ableton pro is also another software that garageband can be used with.

GarageBand review by Shanae Z.
Shanae Zuniga

"It's easy to get the basics down."

What do you like best?

I like that the basics of Garageband are easy enough to not scare off a beginner. I have to use the software regularly but was unfamiliar with it when I first came into my position. There is plenty more that can be done with it, but my needs were fairly basic. I like that it is both for beginners and the advanced.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how difficult it can be to learn how to do a new thing. The help articles are not always helpful, and finding help from online leads in so many directions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely start with beginners tutorial videos on Youtube. Even with more advanced things, Youtube can be one of the best places to get clear directions.

We are personalizing song files and creating rough rehearsal tracks. We don't use it for the actual studio recordings, but it is a good place to start and get the general idea of things down.

GarageBand review by Hannah M.
Merchandiser

"Professional-Sounding Audio Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I like how simple and self-explanatory the controls are! If you know the basic concept of music/audio editing, you can use Garage Band. And even if you don't, it's incredibly easy to learn. This software can produce professional-level tracks in the comfort of your own home or even the garage...

What do you dislike?

The screen can easily get cluttered if you don't stay on top of it. The screen just looks very "busy" & that can be overwhelming and intimidating, especially for newbies.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Garage Band is a really nice product, but definitely watch some YouTube tutorials on how to use it properly. Sometimes seeing someone else's tips & tricks can make the transition a lot easier.

I use Garage Band to record my music &/or voiceovers for my YouTube videos & Soundcloud. Garage Band has been an excellent for me, because I use Apple products & it came for free with my Macbook, so it was a breeze to start work.

GarageBand review by Jennifer S.
Music Therapist
Individual & Family Services

"Garageband- great product!"

What do you like best?

The options are features on GarageBand are limitless. The flexibility the program offers, and ways to improve your recording after-the-fact is great. Even without fancy recording equipment, I've been able to produce recordings that both my clients and I can enjoy. The process and ease of recording is overall very easy. I also really like that it is available both on laptops as well as iPads- great for flexible recording possibilities. The program has also worked very well for recording individuals as well as a full choir.

What do you dislike?

There is a pretty steep learning curve, and the program is not intuitive. However, the benefits are worth the amount of time it takes to learn how to use Garageband. Some of the features and options can be difficult to use- such as fading the sound out. I've run into issues where I've set the volume levels of the track, but when I go back to it those options were not saved. I often have to google issues I run into, and often (but not always) find the answers I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend GarageBand to others- definitely worth using Apple products for the sole benefit of having access to this program. The features are numerous and I am always finding new ways to enhance my recording both in quality and creativity.

I use Garageband with clients and Garageband has allowed not only individual clients to learn about recording processes, but also continue to develop creative skills. For business, making CD's and recording is a great, tangible way that I can share client successes. Being able to share these then improves our ability as a non-profit to share with not only clients, but families and business donors who support creative arts at my company. It's one thing to tell people about the work you do- it's another to show and have a tangible product to show them. Clients are also so proud of their work and it's wonderful for them to be able to share with family and friends.

GarageBand review by Beth M.
Beth McPherson

"GarageBand"

What do you like best?

GarageBand is one of the easiest digital audio workstations to use. While many professionals do not use it, it is an excellent tool for hobbyists and for people who are new to audio recording and editing in digital audio workstations. High quality recordings can still be achieved using GarageBand, though it does not have some of the functions that more professional digital audio workstations offer.

What do you dislike?

GarageBand does not have a high quality MIDI sample library and does not have as many functions in terms of editing audio as many other digital audio workstations, such as Logic Pro X or Pro Tools. Many professionals do not use it, but it can be a great learning tool or substitute for a musician who will not do much recording or audio editing. This software is too limited in its audio editing capabilities to suit the needs of professional audio engineers and producers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand is an excellent learning tool and introductory digital audio workstation, but is too simplified to meet the needs of professional audio engineers and producers. Though more professional products are more difficult to use, they have more editing capabilities, and GarageBand is recommended and better suited for people who are not professional audio engineers or producers, but those who still need to make and edit recordings.

GarageBand is an excellent learning tool to introduce musicians who have never used a digital audio workstation before to one. It is great for teaching students how to create and edit MIDI tracks as well as how to record audio, and can teach them basic yet limited audio editing.

GarageBand review by Tim T.
Senior Design Manager

"GarageBand is simple and easy"

What do you like best?

GarageBand is a really easy software to learn how to use. My company mainly uses the software for audio recording and slight editing. It is really easy to add different track and record directly on your computer. I also like the stock instruments that comes with the software. I have used really espesnisve sound editing software and GarageBand compares very well with them.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how limited GarageBand can be with some of the instruments you try to use. I would also like to see GarageBand become more compatible with different file types. I use many different editing softwares and I would like to transfer files to GarageBand, but it does not support every file.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a very easy software for people that are new to sound editing to learn on.

Sound editing. It is very easy for the employees to learn.

GarageBand review by george g.
Audio Video Technician
Consumer Electronics

"GarageBand is easy and fun."

What do you like best?

I like how easy GarageBand is to learn. When i first started in the music industry, GarageBand was the first software that I learned how to use. It is really simple. I also like how compatible it is with different midi instruments and microphones. So far I have not found any outside instrument that it is not compatible with.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how GarageBand does not support a lot of plugins. I have used a lot of music recording software and GarageBand seems to be the least compatible with outside plugins. GarageBand is simple to use, but with this simplicity comes a lack of certain editing features that you can find in more advanced software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand is a great software to get started on for audio recording and editing.

I used GarageBand for music editing and recording.

GarageBand review by User in Music

"New Updates"

What do you like best?

I love the work flow it allows for such great compositions, the new updates for pans and automation make it a synch to complete projects. Absolutely fantastic. THE LESSONS are a great way to grab attention t new musicians.

What do you dislike?

I wish that some of the standard sounds that come along with the program would receive a bit of an update, due to the fact that they can work in some areas but have an outdated sounds to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend that anyone interested in musicianship check out garage band, I understand that there are numerous competing companies, however none take care of business as Garage Band handles providing lessons in Piano, Guitar, and More. Not only can you record for fun but you can study and become greater. and that to me is the greatest recommendation. Come One, Come All!

I solve a lack of funds with Garage Band! lol It helps to pay the bill as a producer. DAWS such as garage band make for great assistance. you can even record live instruments!

GarageBand review by Mindi A.
Senior Sales Coordinator

"Great over the years"

What do you like best?

GarageBand is fairly easy to use even for beginners. It has a vast amount of samples and loops for everyday as well as professional use. Apple offers great support for the product, but with it's ease of use you never really have to use it. It also offers tutorials right in the program. Not to mention it also has great tutorials on learning how to play a wide variety of physical instruments, such as guitar and piano.

What do you dislike?

It does have a small lack of plugin compatibility. Sample and loop quantity don't update as often as I would enjoy. The tutorials can be somewhat hard to follow.

I am able to create my own music and sounds for my videos with the worry of copyright infringement. This saves me a ton of hassle as well as money in the long run.

GarageBand review by User

"Easy audio editing software for beginners."

What do you like best?

The best part about garage band is that it is a great way to get introduced into the world of audio editing without tons of prior experience. It's a free application that all Mac users get which provides another incentive to use this product.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is there is not enough walk through tutorials on how to use garage band which makes it less intuitive than a novice would like. Furthermore there isn't enough device support for garage band. Some files are not supported which made it very difficult to export on a usb drive. I had to convert some files just to make sure that the export onto the usb drive would work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be intimidated by audio editing software. The best way is to get your feet wet is by poking around on garage band and see what kind of audio you can produce on your own without professional help. If you have to complete a simple task like editing audio for a video or something similar than give GarageBand a go as it is provided for free on all Macs.

I was able to easily edit and compile lots of audio that I needed for a school play that I was producing. Some major benefits I realized were

GarageBand review by User

"Great for Amateurs and Professionals!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that you don't need to be a professional in the music industry or anything in order to know how to easily use Garageband. I only needed it for a small video project where I had to do a voiceover for a video and it was very simple for me to create the voiceover using Garageband.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the exporting process of this, as there were too many options and I didn't know which audio format worked best for adding to videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's free if you have a mac so obviously it's worth a shot in using! I'd highly reccomend, especially if you are a beginner to creating videos or audio files.

A problem that we solved using Garageband is that we were finally able to add voiceover to the videos that were to be posted on our social media pages. This made it a lot easier to create quality videos.

GarageBand review by John S.

"GarageBand: The Best Audio Editor for our Commercials!"

What do you like best?

We like the fact that GarageBand has automatic drummers, such as Kyle, and that GarageBand can be run from the iPad. At the same time, we also like that MIDI instruments can be used through the USB Camera Lightning Adapter for the iPad Pro. MIDI editing allows us to fine-edit for our commercials, so that if a wrong note is played, we do not have to re-do the entire take.

What do you dislike?

We dislike how simple GarageBand is, compared to Digital Performer or Pro Tools. Although it is easy to use, there are a lot of features such as advanced audio editing with frequencies and equalization that simply are not available in GarageBand. We also do not like how GarageBand is advertised for those who want to play instruments on the screen. While this is cute and fun, it is not truly professional.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When using GarageBand, you must remember to make sure that you are not overloading your iPad, otherwise the app could crash. When using MIDI instruments, buy the self-powered Apple Camera adapter for $39, so that you have enough power to run your MIDI interfaces.

GarageBand helps us easily use MIDI instruments and digital drummers such as Kyle to easily compose background music for our commercials, in a way that is much easier than ProTools and more portable than Digital Performer. Since it runs on an iPad, we can use it anywhere at any time. We are even able to show our commercial songs in conferences, where everyone can analyze the lyrics and music.

GarageBand review by Stephen K.

"Easy to use, tons of features"

What do you like best?

It's so easy to use, very versatile, and tons of fun. Also not expensive, keeps being improved. The instruments that come with it, sound so real. Being able to use it for live performances is great too regardless if it's a keyboard, guitar or bass. It's been an invaluable tool for many years now.

What do you dislike?

A few years ago, Apple did make older instruments not function on the newer version of the software, and we can to figure out workarounds to keep our instrument library the same. To export a song or recording, it has to be sent to iTunes, which is a little annoying. It would be great if it was possible to just export to a specific file.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want an easy to use and amazing sound recording and music creating software, Garageband is a perfect choice for beginners to intermediate musicians and producers.

Being able to easily and quickly create great sounding music with little producing experience. It has really enhanced our company's videos and live sound applications. People think that we buy music for our videos, but we mostly just create it ourselves. This saves money and gives us incredible precision of the creation of our marketing materials.

GarageBand review by Mathew W.
Graphic Designer
Design

"Professional quality for free"

What do you like best?

It's stunningly easy to create a demo. I am a professional musician and I was able to create a fully multi-track recording to send to one of my writing partners in Nashville. I did it in two hours with a guitar and my phone. What I sent him was a fully track with, lead vocals, harmony, bass guitar, rhythm acoustic guitar, electric rhythm guitar, electric lead guitar and hammond organ. I played a freaking hammond on my phone! and it sounds very decent. I'm consistently blown away by how Apple has thought out the interface and the features of this app/program.

I don't play drums at all but the virtual drummers in the software do an amazing job and you can control so much of what they do. For demoing it's perfect. I really couldn't ask for more.

I recently used it to track a live concert by my band. The Whiskey Rebellion. We had the band running full into a PA I was able to take a single XLR feed, plug it into my PHONE and track the entire show. Pretty incredible.

What do you dislike?

I'm not even sure this is a complaint because with a lot of features comes complication but if there was any way to make the learning curve a little less complicated that would be ideal. I know that true audiophiles are harsh on some of the plugins and the limitations which I get BUT it's made for recording demos!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the PERFECT app for quick demos. Try it out!

I am able to track and record live shows and demos with GarageBand to send to writing partners. My bands have shown up with songs learned perfectly because of this app.

GarageBand review by Jason M.
Worship Leader
Music

"Garage Band Review"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the program compared to other music recording/editing software interfaces. It is easy to click and drag various samples from one area to another. The simple keyboard commands are also straight-forward and helpful.

What do you dislike?

I think that some of the defaults are things that no real recording artist would use. Some of the most useful features are hidden within some of the menus and can be a pain to find. I have been a user of GarageBand for many years and some of its previous menus were simpler to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is great for anyone that is getting started with music recording or writing their own music. There are many digital plugins that can be used with GarageBand which further extend its use. If you have access to a usb midi instrument, that can partner very well with this program. If you are a more experienced artist, sound engineer, DJ, or mixer, I recommend that you run all instruments through an independent sound board and processor, sending the main mix into GarageBand. This will allow you to adjust the sound while recording and record multiple instruments on a single track on GarageBand.

Using GarageBand helps when I have to be gone from work on a particular day. I am able to record my music through the program and sync it with a video for my staff to use when I am out of the office.

GarageBand review by Alec L.

"Music Composition"

What do you like best?

I like the best how easy it is to work your way around the app. The VST's and AU's are super simple to set up and additionally, integration with Logic Pro X, the big sister app, is very simple and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

What I most dislike about this app is the availability of all functions. If you want to put on a certain compression or EQ, you have to look it up online. It is a straight forward application, but not all of the functions are easy to be spotted or used.

GarageBand for me is bridging the gap between MIDI or .XML/.MXL files and Logic Pro X. I have realized that GarageBand files sent in from colleague can be easily exported to be open in Logic which is my main application also by Apple Inc.

GarageBand review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easy, workable, and capable of what I need"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Takes a little while to figure out but once you understand the layout it is easy to navigate and to execute different tasks. You can also search a lot online to teach you how to do something.

What do you dislike?

Takes time to understand how to use. Some things aren't as easy to find and sometimes the glitches are unhelpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take time to look up tutorials online to understand the depths of what is possible when you're using Garage Band. It can do a lot more than just cut music.

Easy to cut music for dance classes and to create personal soundtracks as you add layers and different sounds/recordings. Also can make original music if I cannot find what I need. We also use the sounds when we have the program connected to our midi keyboard and use it as a synthesizer.

GarageBand review by Joe L.
Director Of Media Relations
Retail
(10,001+ employees)

"GarageBand is a pretty basic software"

What do you like best?

I like how easy GarageBand is to learn. It does a pretty decent job at putting music together and getting your ideas laid out. It has a wide range of presets and instruments to choose from. GarageBand is also good becomes it come preloaded for free on macs. This is one reason we like to use in at my company.

What do you dislike?

Garageband is a basic software so it is not for professional editing. You can only edit so much with it. I don't like how you are not able to add very many plugins to your compositions. This makes professional editing almost impossible.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand is for basic editing. It is not professional grade editing software.

We use GarageBand for basic editing and brainstorming.

"Get ready to learn."

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is. A lot of the times, when people want to create music, companies offer a lot of different software, some include a lot of features, which makes the interface very crowded. Garage Band is different. I love how It is a very simple platform, with a easy to use layout. It offers all of the basic tasks for beginner's making music.

What do you dislike?

I wish the app was updated more often, but besides that I have no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is defiantly the option to go if you are just starting, and want to learn at ease.

I think this is the software that is a game changer. A lot of upcoming music creators have issues paying for software. But something different with Garage Band is that apple charges nothing for them. They give everything for free, which no other program does.

GarageBand review by Lauren M.
Retired professional ballet dancer
Arts and Crafts

"GarageBand"

What do you like best?

I love that I am easily able to cut music for my dance recitals. They make it so easy to delete sections of songs and make the song exactly how you want.

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike anything too much. I would say they could have a little bit more user friendly options. I definitely had to watch some tutorials before I was able to successfully edit music myself.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's really a great program. Be sure to watch Apple's tutorial videos. Its a great way to make, edit, and cut songs.

GarageBand has helped me as a dance teach to be able to edit songs to the length I need them to be.

GarageBand review by Taylor G.
Traffic Director
Higher Education

"Great For Education"

What do you like best?

GarageBand excels in its simplicity and ease of access. GarageBand was the tool that I learned on and because it offers only the essentials, it makes it easy for learners to access and play around with without danger of being overwhelmed.

In terms of actual professional production, it should not even be considered.

What do you dislike?

For what it is ideal for, there are few things I dislike about it. It does what it's designed for but doesn't masquerade as a real alternative for professional programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I cannot stress enough that this program should be used for educational purposes and learners, but for professional environments there are much better and more in-depth programs to use. For people familiar with GarageBand but looking to take the next step, Logic Pro is both fairly inexpensive and features a similar interface to GarageBand.

It's great as a tool for introducing people to recording concepts and the process in general. I have not used it in a professional setting other than education.

GarageBand review by User in Media Production

"Easy to use music recording"

What do you like best?

First off, all Apple software rules! Garage band holds that fact to truth! I have been using GarageBand for years and have followed through with all the updates. You can make as many live audio/instrument tracks you want including digital and MIDI tracks. Its easy easy to modify the EQ settings as well as add additional 3rd effect packs. As a singer myself, I have had great success using GB with my Blue Yeti microphone.

What do you dislike?

I have trouble sometimes navigating to different settings or remembering where to find things since the new update with Mac OS High Sierra. For example, auto pitch correction, For some reason sometimes I find it right away, other times like recently I can't remember where to go to modify that. Things like this I wish were easier like the original versions of the software from Mavricks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have Mac it comes with your computer anyway so give it a try! Don't assume that its not good just because it came with your Mac for free. Years ago you used to have to pay for this so its awesome now that apple made it free!

Music is a side job and hobby for me. Since GarageBand on my Mac I have been easily able to produce my own music without having to pay for expensive and overly professional software that I will never know how to use otherwise. Its also given me the ability to export my songs to tracks and sell those to make some money, so thats great too! Also - don't forget custom ring tones!

GarageBand review by Cara D.
Saxophonist
Entertainment

"Excellent software for creating music"

What do you like best?

It is great for making music from scratch by experimenting with different loops, using MIDI, or recording directly in. Especially great for rough recording where you can just record using the computer microphone.

What do you dislike?

It can freeze up on occasion and does not have all of the features that leading digital audio workstations have,

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great way to record music, use MIDI instruments, and experiment with loops. I like it for playing keyboard because you can easily hook up a MIDI or USB keyboard. It also shows you chords.

It is a great way to create arrangements for songs, create original songs, remix, and record.

GarageBand review by User in Program Development

"GarageBand "

What do you like best?

What I like about this application from working with youth with disabilities and that prospective, is that this app gives our youth a different way to explore music. We can use our iPads we have in our office and other tablets and our consumers can explore a few different instruments through touch. This is a great way for our youth to connect with music where in some areas they may not be able to. Another thing i like with this application is through the Mac computer it brings a whole different level to the table where it has a way you can connect your keyboard or guitar.

What do you dislike?

More than anything I would like their to be more instruments within the application. I would also like to see if it could have a way of video recording users so they can see what they do as well and that is something this application just does not have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your working with people with disabilities this is a great application to use with them where they can learn and explore instruments on the iPad or tablet. Thought the computer they can connect instruments and record and do so many other amazing things.

within what I do for work this does not solve anything with the job it actually helps the job. As a nonprofit we do not have the funds to purchase a lot of instruments for a music program we are testing out and for some of our consumers with disabilities they have challenges that make it hard to use the physical instruments, where this application solves that problem.

GarageBand review by User

"Make Professional Music in Minutes - GarageBand"

What do you like best?

GarageBand is a very easy to use software which helps us create music for all types of events in our organisation. It is a very intuitive software which comes in a free bundle with Apple Macbook's. Tons of free instruments and thousands of free loops come in the initial bundle which is more than sufficient for any beginner to medium ranged music producers.

What do you dislike?

GarageBand is only available in Apple's devices which is one of the biggest flaw in this software. Being a Apple-only software people with non-apple devices are unable to use this amazing free software and produce music from it. Apple shall go ahead and release this piece of software on Windows and Linux operating systems as well so that people with multiple operating systems can also use this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand is an amazing software and is offered as a freebie in Apple devices. Professional music can bounced from this software in minutes and then used in various events/ movies. It tons of presets/ plugins and instruments help a lot in the music production which reduces dependencies on external softwares and third party editors. It is packed with a number of small tools like file convertor which makes it even more powerful.

GarageBand helps us produce background music for videos as well as edit, remix and produce brand new theme songs for our events. Using it default loops and instruments you can make almost any possible beat/ tune which can be clubbed into a professional song. It also helps bouncing track in multiple formats which again reduce installing multiple softwares for file conversion as it can be done from the GarageBand itself.

GarageBand review by User

"Difficult at first but worth it"

What do you like best?

I like that the program is free if you own a mac computer and as a dance teacher, it's very nice not to have to pay for the product.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to use if you are not used to these types of music cutting programs. I had an especially difficult time when it was updated because I had finally gotten the previous version down.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Better, more clear and concise tour of how to use the program, especially for those who are not technologically as savvy as others. Make the most basic tools like cutting, fading, adding sound effects easily accessible on the immediate page.

As an apple distinguished district, this makes it cost effective for teachers/programs that need music cutting that do not need to be additionally purchased.

GarageBand review by Natalie S.
Intermediate Graphic Designer
Civil Engineering
(5001-10,000 employees)

"I am not an expert music editor, but I use it for my dance company's music"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to make simple edits even without having music editing knowledge, and it's aesthetically pleasing. It seems like I could do some amazingly complicated editing if I needed to in the future and took the time to learn.

What do you dislike?

As an infrequent user, I disliked how much it changed during the past few software updates. It took me longer to figure out how things functioned differently and felt less intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be overwhelmed by the concept of editing your own music. GarageBand makes editing music so easy for beginners that it's worth trying out once before paying someone else to perform the service.

I use GarageBand to edit music for our dance company. Either we edit the music to fit the vision we have for the piece, or we need to adhere to the time requirements/limitations for festivals/shows.

GarageBand review by Jessie M.
Voice Teacher
Performing Arts

"Good for the beginner "

What do you like best?

I like that it's mostly easy to use and there are tools that help you understand how things work if you don't know what you're doing.

What do you dislike?

It does get pretty confusing sometimes, I'm sure there are tons of features I'm not taking advantage of.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When I'm super lost on what I'm doing I turn to YouTube to get advice from video bloggers who know more about it than me.

I've been using it to make warm up tracks for my students to sing to and to edit and record my music.

GarageBand review by User in Religious Institutions

"It get's the job done when creating stem tracks for performance."

What do you like best?

It is Simple and easy to use. You can record with or without an external Interface. You have the ability to use other instrument software from 3rd party vendors, it works side by side with Mainstage and Logic Pro if you want to further the process professionally. Which is what I do most times.

What do you dislike?

There is no mixing console built into the software and it lacks midi export and the ability to send tracks via bus and Auxilary channels. Otherwise, it is flawless!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is no setup needed. You download the additional content for virtual instruments and effects if wanted. As I said, It works flawlessly with Mainstage and Logic Pro Studio if you want to further the recording process professionally.

I am a Worship Leader and I use live tracks to fill out our Worship band's sound. I use Garageband to build these tracks and edit them. I can create on the go right from my MacBook and use the virtual instruments with my built-in keyboard.

GarageBand review by Diana C.
Graphic designer

"Very powerful after the refresh"

What do you like best?

This music-making program is very interesting both for professional musicians and amateurs.

I like it very much especially after the last update.

I like the new feature called Live Loops, that allow to arrange snippets of sound into a coherent song, with the help of an intuitive grid.

There is also an interesting integration with Music Memo app: now it is possible to open projects made with Music Memo, and edit them with Garage Band.

What do you dislike?

Because of Garage Band is a free tool of iLife, of course it has got some limitation, but for a beginner user like me, it is not a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great inexpensive tool for musicians, both funny and professional.

I don't use Garage Band for business, but only in my free time. But I find benefits because I have learned many things about arrangement, podcast, music making...

GarageBand review by Jordan D.
Senior Marketing Associate/Team Lead
Consumer Services

"A good tool for basic audio editing"

What do you like best?

The plug and play spirit, with virtually no learning curve. Great for an audio editor who is just starting out and wants to learn the basics. It's incredibly easy to get started, and the best part? Totally free! For a free service, you really can't complain, but as I said for anything more than basic tasks, it leaves something to be desired.

What do you dislike?

For all it's simplicities, the features are very lacking, in terms of audio editing ability. This is a very rudimentary program which would be best suited for beginners. I have found that in my practice, I have quickly outgrown garage band in a way necessitates more feature-heavy program like logic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would honestly recommend trying out Logic Pro for any advanced audio-editing needs. It's much better suited for this kind of work.

The ability to produce audio content before having much training. T

GarageBand review by Jordan B.

"Great for Anyone!"

What do you like best?

The software is free and very easy to use. Over the years, it has become more and more reliable and able to do things we never thought possible!

What do you dislike?

You can't do some of the audio world things that you can do in software such as Pro Tools and Logic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start here if you want to eventually use Logic or Pro Tools!

If my regular DAW's ever have any problems, this is a great backup to always have on hand. Using it on iPad or iPhone can be an excellent benefit as well!

GarageBand review by Michael C.
Associate Manager, Instructional Development
Consumer Goods
(10,001+ employees)

"A Mac-Only Free Audio Production Tool"

What do you like best?

Garage band is a great tool to edit and record audio as well as instruments and create music. Whether you are creating a podcast or you are in a band, or just feel like signing, Garageband offers a simple user interface with an approachable UI but also more advanced tools.

What do you dislike?

Garageband has a straight forward interface, but some of the plug ins that are available aren't as powerful as those in programs like Adobe Audition. Garageband doesn't feature powerful plug ins like "noise reduction" to remove background noise and their EQ settings, while present, are very novice in nature. More powerful tools like protools, adobe audition, and Logic Pro are more professional audio solutions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A great tool to start out with audio editing, perfect for a free option.

A free tool to edit audio files.

GarageBand review by User in Music

"Accessible and user friendly"

What do you like best?

I enjoy about garage band is how accessible and user friendly it is. Most of the software is free so it is accessible to both students and people on a budget that need to quickly record a rough copy to share with a producer or a coworker/bandmate. It's great for artists at an entry level position, that just need to know a few basics before they buy or invest in a more advanced program.

What do you dislike?

The thing I dislike about Garageband is as an artist, the recording program lacks the tools to get the job professionally finished - it lacks plug ins for producers, artists, and all musicians alike. The lack of available plug ins, add ons, etc. is concerning because it is really just a basic level program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Entry level software, learn what you can and then invest in another.

If I or any other musician needs to record something quick so a producer can get the gist of the music or sound a band is going for - it is easy to log onto garage band and make something happen - it is the rough draft of music and without garage band, we would only have the audio app on our phones to record rough drafts on, which isn't very file friendly.

GarageBand review by Dave B.
(Myself Only)

"Good for trimming audio and voiceovers"

What do you like best?

GarageBand is pretty easy to use, and allows you to dub over one audio clip with another, while adjusting the files individually. I have used it for video voiceovers, call center hold music/promo messages, and to edit audio for use in videos.

What do you dislike?

It's somewhat easy to use, although it does take some trial and error to figure some features out.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand is a good audio mixing/editing/recording program with a lot of features and sounds available. If you take the time to learn how to use it fully, you will not be disappointed with it, especially for the price.

I have used this most extensively to overlay audio recordings on music tracks for call center hold music and promo messages. This program makes it easy to edit individual files while combining them, making it perfect for my needs.

GarageBand review by Dan T.
Teaching Assistant
Higher Education

"Perfect for the Beginner/Intermediate Audio Producer"

What do you like best?

The Apple GarageBand interface is easy to navigate and has the essential features needed to assist in creating a single or multi-track audio production.

There is also a mobile GarageBand compatible with iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) that allows you to produce/create on the go, then import your creations into the desktop software via iCloud.

MIDI capabilities are typically straight forward and work well without the need to download drivers or additional softwares— just plug-and-play.

What do you dislike?

GarageBand is an Apple software and is limited to Apple / Mac devices.

GarageBand also lacks the advanced features found in industry standard softwares, such as AVID Pro Tools or Apple Logic Pro.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand is the perfect software solution for small to mid-scale audio productions. Compared to similar softwares, GarageBand packs the most bang for your buck, but is only compatible with Apple products. The software contains presets to assist beginners with setting up projects tailored to the project goal. It also packs many easy to use features and effects (such as MIDI instruments, Sound Effects, and simulated Amp/Pedal effects) that will benefit musicians of any skill level.

As the media coordinator for a religious organization, GarageBand has been the perfect solution for creating church Podcasts, audio sermon messages, and instrument/small band recording. The software interface is easy to navigate and packed with features and digital effects. It also thrives with MIDI recording and editing, a feature our church uses to accompany our band to add additional instruments/voices to our mix.

GarageBand review by Catherine J.

"Best Way to learn piano or guitar"

What do you like best?

I love the simple set of "templates" that makes it easy for first timers to create very impressive tracks.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything I dislike, however a mixing dashboard would be nice to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You won't find a better product to manage small audio clips and create amazing advertisements.

I needed a comprehensive system to manage client advertisement audio clips. It is very easy to use and I can quickly bring up old clips and cut and paste loops etc.

GarageBand review by User in Government Administration

"Great program for simple music recording at home. "

What do you like best?

I like that it is simple to use and has a variety of preloaded filters that take my electronic instruments to the next level. It is also great that it has an easy to understand UX for beginners but also gets into some of the more complex production tools for semiprofessional musicians.

What do you dislike?

The worst thing about garage band is that mastering a project takes more time than it would on other more analog forms of production, which is what garageband truly competes with. It cannot replace professional production, and should not be considered an alternative.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is a great starting point for beginner musicians and is versatile enough for some applications a professional would need.

Garageband is a quick and easy method to document works in progress. It means that I can hold on to an idea and work through it without getting into complex production techniques etc. It is also helpful that you are able to send the files digitally.

GarageBand review by Marlon S.
Mobile Test Engineer
Telecommunications
(10,001+ employees)

"Very Useful for Creating on the Go"

What do you like best?

I love that I essentially have an easy to use DAW right on my smartphone.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations when exporting files. For example, on IOS, you cannot export tracks in Mono, only stereo.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great piece of portable software but there are some limitations and documentation seems to be lacking. Youtube tutorials would definitely help bridge the gap in knowledge however.

When I am asked to record bass for projects and I don't have access to a studio or a full daw setup, I can plug in using my Apogee Duet and get the job done virtually anywhere. Being able to create and send out tracks with relative ease is a huge benefit to me.

GarageBand review by Pat R.
Web Strategist

"Awesome for musicians "

What do you like best?

With iCloud support, you can save GarageBand projects created in both the iOS and Mac versions to iCloud. This is useful when creating things on the go and at home. Great support for additional third party plugins for whatever you want to do. The easy to use interface that comes with most Apple applications is apparent in GarageBand as well. I would recommend this to any music maker.

What do you dislike?

With recent updates to GarageBand, they no longer offer support for podcasts. Musicians are fine with this but those who make podcasts are severely disadvantaged.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GarageBand has limited hardware capabilities. Ensure that your hardware works correctly with GarageBand before diving in!

Garageband is very useful when wanting to create music at home. However, with its streamlined interface, simplified tools and features, Garage Band lacks some of the professional abilities and creative customizations of other programs. It is useful for the beginner and, thus, is helpful for me.

GarageBand review by Christopher P.
VFX Artist