factset

FactSet is a leading provider of financial data and analytic applications for investment management and investment banking professionals around the globe.

Work for factset?

Learning about factset?

factset Reviews

Showing 12 factset reviews
factset review by User

"FactSet is my go-to application for research."

What do you like best?

I like the organization of the page - it makes it very easy to navigate. The one pagers for the deal information is what I use most often, and it is efficient to have the key items on a single page. I also like the calendar tab, because it helps me organize my week for the different calls that I want to listen in.

What do you dislike?

I believe FactSet has a new page layout coming out, and I have had the chance to look at it. Maybe it is because I am used to the old page, but I don't necessarily love the new layout. It also seems to run a bit slower, but that may be because it is in the testing phases. Sometimes, if you type a ticker for the deals, it will get stuck in the box, and it makes it hard to search for other deals outside that company.

I am utilitizing FactSet to find comparable deals and market information. As mentioned above, I save time by utilizing FactSet because the information is in one place and readily available.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about factset
factset review by Dmitry M.
Dmitry M.

"Very good...could be great"

What do you like best?

Factset covers the basics. Whether you need basic charting, financial statements, ratio analysis, comparable valuation, estimates, sell-side research, Factset provides it. (so do Eikon and Bloomberg). Unlike Eikon (which I used previously), Factset was built ground up with the analyst in mind. Data is generally well organized. You can tell the product managers *thought* about where to put stuff. This contrasts strongly vs Eikon which is a blatant Bloomberg rip off.

Factset offers desktop client, web client, and a mobile app. I mostly use the desktop client and mobile app. The mobile app is competent but could certainly be better.

What do you dislike?

There are no gaping holes in Factset functionality. At least not for the use cases I need. However, what frustrates me is the product is good.... but it could be great. Take, for example, access to earnings conference calls on the mobile app. To me, it's a no-brainer to make this a simple, seamless user experience. What's better than being able to quickly tune into an earnings call on the go? In the Factset app, there is a way to stream earnings calls, but it's hidden behind about 6 clicks, AND once you're there, you can't use any other functions of the app. It's just the call, nothing else. Also, the mobile app is pretty slow. Factset should look at Scout Finance mobile app for ideas how to make the app simpler and faster. I give the mobile app a C+... good enough, but has potential to be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your own work. Check out Eikon, CapitalIQ, Bloomberg. Pound for pound, Factset is an excellent product. Still room for improvement, but it covers the basics better than Eikon or CapIQ.

I use Factset for many aspects of my job as a securities analyst. Factset is a great aggregator of data, and for the most part the user experience is above average. Compared to Eikon, I've realized the benefits of a more intuitive UI (in most cases, definitely not all). Also, I've found Factset to be a more stable application vs Eikon. Most importantly, Factset saves me time vs Eikon.

What Financial Research solution do you use?

factset review by User

"Fantastic FactSet for financial services specialized in retirement planning"

What do you like best?

My favorite aspect of the Fact Set user experience is speed. The application is very rapid and reliable and despite multiple navigations and workflows during use, it rarely ceases to work or "freeze". I also like that attaching and removing data is extremely simple.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that only one window of Fact Set is to be used at a time. The actual Fact Set terminology for one window use is "instance", it would be useful to manage and save data to be able to use multiple windows at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important to bear in mind that only one window of the software can be kept open at a time but the tool is fantastic to save and categorize a large amount of financial data such as K-1s and investment agreements.

Working with a large amount of investment data can be very challenging and the ability to quickly save and categorize documents has allowed me to better focus on my work and perform audit reports with accuracy and flexibility.

factset review by Consultant

"FactSet: A very comprehensive tool for diligence and equity screening"

What do you like best?

In addition to standard public equity information, FactSet offers revenue breakdowns by segment, geographic region, and industry classification.

What do you dislike?

FactSet’s data is often inconsistent with comparable platforms for private equity data, and often reports different AUMs, fund sizes, and equity check sizes than CapIQ and Bloomberg.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know how to use the multitude of functions offered by FactSet — many, including the deal simulator, will surprise you.

I use FactSet to screen for private equity firms who meet certain criteria and might be interested in participating in an equity capital raise for the companies I am engaged with.

factset review by User

"Good Software with Good Support"

What do you like best?

Factset has a very good support function. It's easy to chat with a Factset representative and get help instead of spending time figuring out problems on your own.

What do you dislike?

The data isn't always accurate. Sometimes data is missing and we end up needing to search the internet to find company and financial information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good platform and has good support. Definitely worth considering if you're in the market for a software to help with data.

This software allows us to pull financial information together quickly using an identifier and formulas to populate data sets.

factset review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Good for tracking analyst coverage and filings, sub par on financials"

What do you like best?

This tool makes it easy for me to keep tabs on when companies will release earnings, read transcripts, and key a pulse on what the analyst community is reporting.

What do you dislike?

Looking at GAAP and non-GAAP financials is limited. You can only dig so deep when looking at aspects of the financial statements and I typically resort to other tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for qualitative research but will only get you so far on the quantitative side.

Provides a one stop shop for getting analyst coverage information.

factset review by John A.
John A.

"FactSet is unreal"

What do you like best?

FactSet is an all in 1 solution that allows me to analyze, manage, and test my portfolio in ways I didn't know were possible.

What do you dislike?

FactSet can sometimes be confusing with how to find the tools I need. Managing my workspace isn't as easy as I would like.

For our investment firm, it is vital that we can manage, view and test our portfolio.

factset review by Tarun A.
Tarun A.

"Meets our requirements"

What do you like best?

The excel tool is good for updating models. Also provides good coverage of research analysts.

What do you dislike?

Factset client gives the feeling it slows down computers. A

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try their excel tools.

Access to financial information, markets and news.

factset review by User

"Great for portfolio screening "

What do you like best?

Factset is used for our portfolio screening. It is really expensive. We want to download data from it and it’s only possible using vb scripting. To get API access they want us to pay more.

What do you dislike?

Very expensive and very limited documentation.

This is used for universe generation and research purposes in investment management world.

factset review by User in Financial Services

"Fact set review "

What do you like best?

Easy to use platform with amazing amount of databases

What do you dislike?

I don’t like how the tickers are set up. Sometimes it’s hard to find what I’m looking for.

Investing questions and research

factset review by User

"Easy Research and great data"

What do you like best?

I like how FactSet has both real time data and historic data on cash flows, P&L, etc. I also like how easy it is to access street research

What do you dislike?

I dislike how it is not very intuitive; I always must ask for help if I am doing something new.

I have created financial models to value companies and written basically company biographies.

"FactSet- former user"

What do you like best?

Love the professional reports and data integration.

What do you dislike?

Changes in management was a bit too much for me.

I did not fully proceed with the program, as we decided to discontinue.

Learning about factset?

* We monitor all factset reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.