Cision Distribution by PR Newswire Reviews & Product Details

What is Cision Distribution by PR Newswire?

Reach the right audiences and gain more media visibility with Cision Distribution powered by PR Newswire, the industry's largest, most trusted press release distribution network. PR Newswire is the worldwide leader for targeted content distribution, impacting customer behavior by connecting your brand with the right influencers across multiple media platforms, geographies and vertical industries.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire Screenshots

Most Recent Cision Distribution by PR Newswire Video Review
Incoming Merchandising Intern
Apparel & Fashion

"Helpful software"

What do you like best?

Cision has great information once you learn how to use it. I had to use it for a strategic communication assignment once in college and every bit of information I needed from PR professionals was found on Cision.

What do you dislike?

While it is easy to use once you get the hang of things, Cision can be a little bit tricky at first. Navigating Cision is not the hard part, but signing up for the service in general was not the easiest. Me along with many others had issues with the initial signup.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those who don't know what Cision is, I strongly recommend setting up an account because it has the potential to greatly benefit you and your company.

Cision has allowed me and my teammates to distribute press releases and email pitches to bloggers and journalists that I would have never known existed if it weren't for Cision. From this, my team and I have gained a lot more attention in the media and it has honestly helped us a lot.

Director of Global Marketing

"Easy Tool but Lacking PR Relevance"

What do you like best?

The user experience is great. The seamless flow makes it quick to upload and distribute a press release. I also like how they call after you setup your press release to confirm that everything is okay.

What do you dislike?

Since this tool is mainly used to distribute press releases to media channels, I find that it goes to many super-micro channels that have zero exposure, so I'm paying over $1200/press release to get almost no impressions/relevant engagement on my press release. If the platform was more targeted to specific media publications/bloggers/influencers who are willing to open up their email to read the press release, then it would be a different story.

We have numerous corporate announcements on an annual basis and we hope to get relevant coverage to show how well our company is doing. PR Newswire allows us to distribute that messaging to a large audience, and the main benefit is that it's quick and not time-consuming.

Communications Consultant
Government Administration

"Send it to everyone!"

What do you like best?

As a blogger i love being able to sign up and get news releases from every company and industry I follow. Its great to have a one stop shop. On the other side I like how I can use it to share my news release.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I have to pay to post. That is really frustrating, for small companies that do not have a budget, it is usually not justifiable. There should be a limited free trial. I also do not think the categories are every intuitive. I have an alert for entertainment and i regularly get news on government and other industries that do not have entertainment ties.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have a budget.

It solved a distribution problem, as well as created a budgeting problem. My organization does not have a budget for this, so we have to find alternate distribution methods.

Manager of Media Relations
Higher Education

"Cision is vital! "

What do you like best?

I love the ease and user friendliness of Cision. I've used other similar products in the past and we've stuck with Cision for a few years now. I greatly appreciate the tagging system and ability to pull reports quickly. I really like the auto tagging feature where I can keep track of my campaigns or crises easily and have reports immediately for my supervisor/client.

What do you dislike?

It's an investment, which isn't a problem for larger companies, but can be prohibitive for smaller companies. In addition, sometimes it's difficult to get nitty gritty data. I wish some features were included in a general cost, rather than being a la carte.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look into multiple platforms and see how their reporting/analytics compares for what you are specifically looking for in terms of reports.

The issue of monitoring coverage is solved with Cision. The ease of keeping coverage in one place where it's easy to pull monthly or annual reports including charts and graphs makes my life easier as a PR professional. I greatly appreciate the support chat function on Cision as well. If I'm ever having issues with the system or have trouble with the way something was categorized, the chat function ensures I'll be able to quickly have the issue resolved and be able to find out why something happened the way it did.

Journalist
Publishing

"Pr essential"

What do you like best?

I signed up to Cision quite accidentally but soon it turned into an essential tool for my job. it's an asset. I was able to do fam trips and write one of a kind reportages. I have been invited to events I would never imagine. It's like to be in comfort zone, with Cision you know that you don't have to go crazy to find contacts, someone will do it for you. So when I see in my inbox something unusual I know there is Cision behind. I recommend to all my colleagues to contact someone at Cision and ask to be added to their press list. They are also kind and they contact you if they see something is not right in your profile. Can you ask for more? don't forget that it is meant to save time and provide information that would otherwise only be available to those that have developed personal relationships with those journalists. Cision is the best out there. It's an investment that all Pr should do. As someone who is in the younger or even older, crowd, this is useful to me because when I started, I was unsure about how to reach who I needed to. Helped me immensely! Again don't think twice and go for Cision.

What do you dislike?

nothing to complain, never had any issues

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it's a must have for journalists

essential tool for public relations

(10,001+ employees)

"Easy way to find media and media contacts"

What do you like best?

This platform is great for finding writers/reporters that cover specific topics. By submitting a few keywords, you are given a variety of writers and publications with easy contact information (as well as tips from reporters, such as "email-don't call me," and the types of stories they're interested in learning about. It makes pitching our institution's stories (beyond local media) very easy.

What do you dislike?

The platform has a lot going on, and I don't use it every day. Every time I log in, I have to take a few minutes to re-familiarize myself with how exactly it works. Others in our office use it for daily media tracking, and they find it easy to use.

There are so many niche publications out there that I would never know about without Cision (Google doesn't always find these types of pubs, based on your search). And often times, contact info isn't readily available on the website. This puts all that information right in front of you. I have been able to get stories about our university's professors/researchers placed into various papers, magazines and websites I wouldn't otherwise know about. This helps us spread our brand awareness.

"Cision is an amazing tool for PR pros"

What do you like best?

Cision is an easy-to-use and exhaustive platform that allows you to build PR lists, find contact info for journalists, and customize your search for maximum outreach. They also come with established lists by state and region, and high-value news outlets.

What do you dislike?

I'd love to be able to add more than one image when distributing a press release, but their new interface does come with a lot of the new features that offset that problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

All you need to do is take a quick run-through of Cision and you'll find that it's your best solution. You also can use it on multiple levels, so if you're interested in defraying costs, there's a more limited approach. Customer support is amazing and fast.

I'm able to quickly and easily get a release out on a local, targeted or national level. It's helped us pick up placements on the other side of the country, and it's put us in front of a national audience.

Public Relations Intern
Public Relations and Communications

"Cision - Searching for Contacts Made Easy "

What do you like best?

Cision is great when pulling large contact lists of reporters, editors etc. It makes it easy to contact specific people and search for publications. It has narrowing search features which help get the right person. I also like how you can export the contact list as an excel sheet which makes the process a lot easier since that is usually the next step in making a media list.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem I have with Cision is that it only allows one user at a time to use the program. At an office focused on media and communication, it is imperative to use Cision on most projects, so when only one person is able to log in, it causes problems and slows down the process. Most of the time, colleagues kick each other out in the person mid-search. This loses important searches and makes it very difficult to work efficiently when researching.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Cision when you need to send out large press releases. It's also great when you need to narrow searches by publication topic, contact topic etc.

It is beneficial when you want to contact someone directly instead of going through their website or general email to contact them. It's more direct and usually gets more responses. Some contacts even put how or what they prefer to be contacted about which helps keep a good relationship.

"Cision: For Media Monitoring and Outreach"

What do you like best?

Having the articles and coverage in the same place as the database is essential. This efficiency results in better media interaction.

What do you dislike?

Setting up filters and dialing in key words to achieve better coverage can be time consuming. Also, some coverage is better of the printed publications. There are some limitations with content behind paywall too - even for publications that are "included" in your account's coverage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you are comfortable with the range of coverage and that the print version is the primary coverage zone. There can be additional charges to include some of the major dailies on top of the package fees.

We have been solving the need to reach more media and increase the earned coverage. This has resulted in better overall coverage of our stories and pitches.

Corporate Communications and Social Media Coordinator
Publishing

"Easy Platform, Great for Distribution, Fun Community"

What do you like best?

Press release distribution down the wire is very simple and straightforward, Can quickly and easily build reports in Excel format or by dashboard with great charts for your presentations. Cision City is the community platform where you can participate in discussions, ask questions and complete fun challenges for prizes. Very responsive and quick Customer Care.

What do you dislike?

They are still working out some small issues on the new platform in terms of reporting, such as building very specific reports - you can still get them done, just takes a few extra steps.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Excellent platform for press release distribution and reporting. Haven't touched the social aspect, but definitely looking into it.

Easily getting information and press releases out to the masses, building reports for higher-ups in the company to show progress of news coverage and distribution, easily communicating with staff to solve problems.

AP

"Cision distribution is great!"

What do you like best?

I like that you have the ability to create specific lists for each client and topic. I also like that you're able to see who has opened your release or clicked on any links. It helps give us an idea of who its reaching and who is engaged with the story.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the section where you build out your press release. I think its rather difficult to include multiple images and there are certain things I don't use like analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Before starting the distribution platform, it would be useful to get a virtual tour or step by step guide on how to navigate and use the platform. This would have been a lot easier for me had I been guided through the program.

We are distributing releases for not only our clients but our company as well. We're able to reach mass audiences in national and local outlets.

Global Insights Intern
Entertainment
(5001-10,000 employees)

"I have used it to prepare media lists"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the massive range that the database covers. They have just about every publication you can think of. Also the detailed information about each publication's statistics and their reporters is amazing. They list - the beats reporters cover, how much does an ad cost, what is the circulation rate, etc. All these numbers can help you plan which publications you want to reach out. It also helped me to reach specific reporters who would be more interested in carrying out certain stories.

What do you dislike?

The search is not exactly user-friendly. You need to put in the exact name of whatever it is you are looking for. Even if there is a slight mistake, the search box will say - no matches found. This is one feature that I find inconvenient, I would have preferred if they would at least show some search options that if not exact are close to what you are looking for, something like Google search.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest being patient. It takes time to get the hang of it. At first I found it pretty complicated but now I am fairly comfortable with it.

I can easily figure out which reporters and publications to reach out to by reading which topics they cover. It also provides me with all the contact information, which makes reaching out so much easier.

(10,001+ employees)

"Great for press release distrubution and pitching"

What do you like best?

Cision is reliable, simple, and user-friendly. The email distribution tool is very easy. I've used the tool for nearly 3 years and I've never had an issue with scheduling my emails. The final review page gives me peace of mind as it shows me the complete email including recipients.

What do you dislike?

I know there is a template function, but I have yet to figure out a good way to use it. I wish the feature was more intuitive

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Cision Distrubition is a one-stop shop. Although it's capabilities are similar to it's competitives, Cision is rapidly acquiring new entities to stay at the top.

Cision allows the media relations team to keep all our reporters and specific lists in one place. Cision updates the reporter profiles for us, so there's no need to update yourself; it's a huge time saver.

"A fantastic time/effort saver that more than returns on its cost"

What do you like best?

The PR Newswire distribution network helps me target an astounding number of journalists and outlets, including ones I would never find no matter how much I like tracking down. Additionally, since the release authoring and distribution functions are seamlessly linked, I can skip a whole lot of the old-school administrative/technical work required to craft and effectively distribute a release.

What do you dislike?

These tools are deeper than they appear on the surface and Cisions' own tutorials only give you a basic knowledge of of the system. I found digging through YouTube and consulting colleagues helped me find demonstrations on how to more powerfully use PR Newswire. That and a lot of experimenting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The product is very easy to use after a little training. Figure about a day's worth of time to really figure out how to use it. Watch Cision's internal training videos, then search around YouTube for more advanced tutorials. Also consider a primer in effective research/use of keywords to better understand/bolster Cision's tools. It will help you target your outlets.

I am able to rapidly move a press release from concept to targeted distribution in basically three steps, which is magical. This lets me focus on 1) the substance of the release 2) aligning it with my marcom team's goals and 3) gaining internal/client approvals. Additionally, (geek alert!) I find simply browsing through the system's distribution lists gives me a much broader knowledge of what journalists/outlets exist.

"Great for Press Release Distribution and Analytics, Needs More Social Integration"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily distribute press releases down the wire and get analytics for any and all coverage. Gone are the days of manually building clip reports - Cision does that and builds you a customizable analytics dashboard for these hits.

What do you dislike?

There aren't many options in terms of social. You can get analytics, but what about finding relevant influencers and followers? This could definitely help marketing social media experts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great tool to use for press release distribution and can easily get your news out there for others to see. The templates they can create for your analytics are also very convenient and easily downloadable and have helped me build reports for my teams that can be used on presentations as well. Not sure how to use it for social media effectively, but hopefully, I will learn.

Easily distributing news and building reports for our teams quickly and effectively that are easy to digest.

Publicist
Public Relations and Communications

"Publicist, using it for PR distributions"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to filter through results easily. I can get very specific, very quickly. When working with multiple clients and press releases, this is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

When creating a distribution list in Vocus, I wish the numerical amount would adjust according to the amount of people currently selected. To be more specific, if "automobiles (45)" is truly listing 45 people, then that number makes sense. But if the number is actually 25, the number next to automobiles should be adjusted. It would save me time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are definitely minor details that can be worked out, but i'm confident that the Cison team will continue to improve the service. My interaction with customer service has resolved issues. The platform is easy to navigate after some initial practice time spent.

We're able to easily create a list of potential publicity opportunities and share helpful data with clients. This adds empirical evidence to an otherwise vague type of work. Clients enjoy seeing the graphs.

"Easy to Use All-in-One PR Platform"

What do you like best?

The way the platform is organized makes it quick and easy to find what you're looking for or looking to do (ex. send out an email release or wire release). Also the live webinars are really helpful!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you need to follow up a Cision rep on a question you submitted via email or phone call.

Cision helps us get the word out about our organization and allows us to easily track who is viewing our press releases and what kind of an impact it's having. Also we use the editorial calendar and Help a Reporter Out (HARO) to proactively reach out to the media and pitch story ideas and establish new relationships.

Media Coordinator
Machinery

"PRN 2017"

What do you like best?

PR Newswire has excellent customer service. They are also very reliable in terms of getting our releases out at the correct time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that once you approve the proof of a release, it places it in a que where it could be accidentally distributed. We had an issue where an old release was sent out 5 times within an hour to our entire email list of beat reporters that we keep on file with PRN. I now don't approve proofs any sooner than necessary.

PRN helps us ensure we meet the Sec requirements in terms of who must receive our corporate press releases. They save us the time and effort of trying to maintain the distribution list ourselves.

"Cision - reliable and organized."

What do you like best?

My favorite feature Cision has to offer is the extent to which press/media contacts are organized and updated. Contacts are sorted in a variety of different ways (product category, publication, industry, etc.) that make them easy to find and keep tabs on. In addition, every featured media entity is also organized by department, where you can then find up-to-date contact information of all members of that specific team within the organization.

What do you dislike?

For a beginner, the platform can be difficult to navigate. Cision has a handful of different features, and the interface can appear cluttered at times. I think the data can be organized and labeled in a more user-friendly way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your goals are to target strategic media and press contacts, make sure you approach Cision with a strategy and know exactly what it is that you're looking for. There's a lot of data and it can be easy to get lost if you're not strategic in your approach.

Cision is a one-stop shop for any and all relevant press and media contacts that would be useful when targeting specific public relations efforts.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I LOVE having the webinars readily available. They walk you through step-by-step, and they also have live webinars where you can ask questions as you go along. It's also easy to get in touch with Cision employees in case you have any questions. Our account manager calls us about once a month to check up on us, which is really nice. He often does one-on-one webinars and walk-throughs if we need help.

What do you dislike?

Don't really have anything to complain about at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! We have had a lot of success with this platform and have gained many new members to our organization through it. It's gotten our name out there to more potential members of our organization, or at least helped us with distributing information to those who need it.

Trying to pitch stories to reporters to get out name out there. We've had a lot of media recognition with this platform. We will eventually also connect social media to Cision, so hopefully that will help our company.

"Go-To Media Monitoring Service"

What do you like best?

I like how seriously Cision takes reports that contact information is out of date or incorrect. I've reported a few incidents and each time they were resolved within an hour or two. Compared to Meltwater, Cision has been able to pull articles Meltwater wouldn't have been able to - Cision is a more comprehensive platform. I'm a big fan of Cision City and am grateful to learning opportunities the Cision City Challenges represent. I also appreciate the webinars Cision offers when new product updates are rolled out Ex Matterhorn Release.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you can only add a piece of coverage to one campaign. I also dislike that certain features like Publicity Value are not automatically turned on in your account and as a result, require users to contact customer service to get it changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend exploring Cision before your current media monitoring service expires because that will highlight all the ways Cision is better and how Cision will make your life easier. If you switch to Cision, I recommend leaving a bit of overlap between your old media monitoring service and starting Cision so you can ensure you have the right search terms and contacts built in Cision lists.

I use Cision to devise media lists for pitching and monitoring coverage mentioning my workplace. Through Cision I track my campaign activity and create reports to share with team members. I've also been able to discover other tips for media pitching and communication efforts through the case studies and challenges in Cision City.

"Excellent tool for finding exposure for your brand"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to sort through contacts multiple ways and save them to different lists. It's helped me build a strategy for contacting reviewers as well as media for specific pitches. I've also gotten a lot of use out of HARO and the editorial calendars.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier to see a snapshot of social information. Anything to speed up the process of sifting through all of the contacts is always appreciated!

We use Cision to help us find product reviewers and media contacts to pitch. I also use it to keep an eye out for stories pertaining to our industry.

Director of Content Marketing
Insurance

"One of the better media tools but still just ok"

What do you like best?

I like being able to research journalists and send media pitches directly. It's nice to be able to view a journalist's profile and get their contact info. I had a story come up that had our company name wrong. I was able to find the journalist and send him a note with a correction right away.

What do you dislike?

Everything is separate. If I want analytics, I have to buy that. If I want social, I have to buy that. I also can't find journalists by keyword on a topic they may have written on in the past. Meltwater has that feature and I really like it (despite Meltwater's heavy pressure sales techniques, the service is really good).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Years ago, I used cision exclusively and hated it. You needed a degree in programming to get a list put together! Now, it's much, much easier to use so it's a step in the right direction. However, I'm still not over the moon about Cision. It's just OK. It gets me a list of journalists based on demographics and some criteria but it really doesn't allow me to really research journalists based on what they're writing about. We all know that beats change and they're not consistent. Searching a keyword or phrase and seeing who has written about that is such a better way to target. I guess I'm still in the Meltwater camp but have been given Cision as a tool the company uses. I have to say I'm just not impressed and it's just OK.

I had to do several regional pitches for our national product and it was easy to find journalists by region. I find in the B2B setting, it's tough to find the right journalists in niche audiences. It takes research and Cision is one of the better choices. I still prefer Meltwater EVEN with their pushy sales.

Account Executive
Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is great for finding contacts, but don't forget to do your own research"

What do you like best?

I love using Cision to find outlets in specific markets. From there, I research on my own to find their contact info, as I often find Cision's contact information to be out of date. BUT, I absolutely love it to find specific types of outlets in various markets. Cision is especially helpful when trying to reach media not in your area.

What do you dislike?

Like I said above -- Cision's contact information can be out of date. When I was first starting, I was getting a lot of bounceback emails and quickly learned to use Cision to find the outlet, but use my own research to find the specific media member's contact information.

Working for a PR agency with global and national clients, it's sometimes hard to know media that are not in your regularly target market. Cision is great for building media lists for these clients. I also use Cision to gain insight into outlets in specific industries, which is very helpful when working with multiple-industry clients.

Associate News Editor

"Good PR service"

What do you like best?

I'm a journalist who receives press releases from time to time through this service. I like the clean design, which makes it easy to screen the material.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I am added to email lists that I haven't subscribed to, which, as other editors will attest to, is horribly annoying -- but I don't think many are through this service, which is nice. (If it's a common practice though, I'd recommend stopping that -- or at least asking journalists if they'd like to be on more lists.)

I can't say I write about the content I receive very often, but occasionally I'll get alerted to something interesting I want to cover, which is a nice help as an editor looking for ideas.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire User Ratings

7.5
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.7*
* Press Release Distribution Category
Do you work for Cision Distribution by PR Newswire?

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire Categories on G2